whitedeath

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
last night went to big lots. they have alot of cheap dvds for 3 bucks such as

the missing
charlies angel superbit *2 disc set* i picked this up
aslym of the damned

thats all i can remember that stick in my head but there had to over 50 titles check it out.

post your finds here

i got a mix of anime and non-anime

Gundam MS 08th vol 1
Scryed vol 1
Steamboy
Final Fantasy Spirits Within

Half Past Dead
Cruel Intentions 2
Cruel Intentions 3
Can't Hardly Wait
Wild Things 2 & 3
Pink Panther
Stealth
Matador

i know some are crap, but hey can't resist spending $2 each. and i wish there was more. :D

A few Big Lots deals (all new and sealed, not prev viewed) I picked up recently, of course YMMV. Anyone else see any more of these great Warner 2 disc se's for $4?

Strangers On A Train 2 disc SE $4
Giant 2 disc SE $4
Easter Parade 2 disc SE $4
Band Wagon 2 disc SE $4
Ali (Michael Mann film) Dir Cut $3
Steamboy $3
The Passenger (Antonioni/Nicholson flick) $3 Nicholson commentary? Sold.
Identity $3
Blue Thunder SE $3
Capote/In Cold Blood double feature $3
Greatest 70's Cop Shows (Sony 5 pilots, Charlies Angels, Rookies, Police Woman etc) $3

Passed on some various Paramount catalog stuff (Foul Play, Ace High, Best Defense and some others) at 4.90

Also saw the complete first season of Yu-Gi-Oh for $13 and a bunch of the Mill Creek 50 movie sets for the same price.

Recently, I scored the following at the local Big Lots:

All the President's Men (single disc) - $4
The Squid and the Whale - $3

I was surprised to find some very decent stuff tonight at my Big Lots:

Momento limited edition - $3
Final Fantasy The Spirits Within 2 disc - $3
The Squid and the Whale - $4

In the last month or so I bought:

Goodbye Lenin - $4
Steamboy - $3
Constant Gardener - $4
Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - $3

There are a ton of movies there that I paid full price for, and it stings. Some are great films too (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Memento, Squid and the Whale etc.)

Two I picked up recently:

Monty Python's "And Now For Something Completely Different" (basically a movie best of of Flying Circus sketches)
Creature Comforts, Season Two (a British TV series done by Aardman, the claymation company that created Wallace and Gromit)

Both were three bucks, and completely worth it. That said, I'm jealous of the Steamboy find. :)

All I see at the Big Lots' here for DVDs are horrible indy films, children's anime and maybe a few 10 year old movies that suck.

[quote name='Omniscia']Recently, I scored the following at the local Big Lots:

All the President's Men (single disc) - $4
The Squid and the Whale - $3[/QUOTE]

wow, I would love to have gotten all the president's men at mine. Saw nothing of interest to me at mine.

Even though I'm on a HD kick, I couldn't help myself and I got 4 discs.
Memento (limited edition)
A River Runs through It (2 disc special edition)
Closer
Where the Truth Lies
all for $3 apiece.

i found out about this and i bought a good amount. mostly various anime though...

hoop days
panda-z
zentrix
escaflowne movie
steamboy
ff: spirits within
big-o
yukikaze
dragonball gt movie
the three burials of melquiades estrada
various gundams
cowboy bebop
wolf rain

i still know what you did last summer

I went back to my local Big Lots once again, and they were virtually cleaned out. I was befuddled. The boxes and boxes of DVDs were no longer there. I find it hard to believe that they would have sold that many movies.

The better movies got cleaned out of my Big Lots VERY fast. I was going to go back and hoard the Mementos, but the 2-3 more they had were gone after a few days.

As Blu-ray Dvd Has Won The Dvd Formatt War. Whatever Has Already Been Out (& Not Been Out) On Standed Dvd, Will All Go Onto Blu-ray Dvd. All Film Companies Like To Release Title's Again & Again To Make More Money. So Everything Will Come Out Onto Blu-ray, As That Is Now The Future Of Dvd. In Time (in The Future) You Could Get Say, 10 Episodes Or An Whole Season Just On One Blu-ray Disc.

[quote name='Ricardo8369']As Blu-ray Dvd Has Won The Dvd Formatt War. Whatever Has Already Been Out (& Not Been Out) On Standed Dvd, Will All Go Onto Blu-ray Dvd. All Film Companies Like To Release Title's Again & Again To Make More Money. So Everything Will Come Out Onto Blu-ray, As That Is Now The Future Of Dvd. In Time (in The Future) You Could Get Say, 10 Episodes Or An Whole Season Just On One Blu-ray Disc.[/QUOTE]

What the hell is this?

[quote name='Ricardo8369']As Blu-ray Dvd Has Won The Dvd Formatt War. Whatever Has Already Been Out (& Not Been Out) On Standed Dvd, Will All Go Onto Blu-ray Dvd. All Film Companies Like To Release Title's Again & Again To Make More Money. So Everything Will Come Out Onto Blu-ray, As That Is Now The Future Of Dvd. In Time (in The Future) You Could Get Say, 10 Episodes Or An Whole Season Just On One Blu-ray Disc.[/QUOTE]

I will attempt a translation. Expect a big influx of Blu-ray DVD's since the format war is over. The studios should start releasing more of their back catalog now that it's settled. Expect double and triple dips as usual.

As for that last sentence. The only way an entire season would fit on a single blu-ray disc is if it used standard encoding of normal DVD's. For the most part a Blu-ray discs holds the same amount of minutes as the standard dvd's do. It's just the bit rate is much higher and thus takes up more space accordingly. I was talking about the Standard Dual-layer Blu-rays they have out now at about 25 gigs a layer. The specs allow for up to 4 layers, not sure if they could 8 with a double sided disc though.

[quote name='Drahken']I will attempt a translation. Expect a big influx of Blu-ray DVD's since the format war is over. The studios should start releasing more of their back catalog now that it's settled. Expect double and triple dips as usual.

As for that last sentence. The only way an entire season would fit on a single blu-ray disc is if it used standard encoding of normal DVD's. For the most part a Blu-ray discs holds the same amount of minutes as the standard dvd's do. It's just the bit rate is much higher and thus takes up more space accordingly. I was talking about the Standard Dual-layer Blu-rays they have out now at about 25 gigs a layer. The specs allow for up to 4 layers, not sure if they could 8 with a double sided disc though.[/quote]

I think the point was, why was that in this thread?

quite jealous of those guys that got memento and what not, for some reason all i got are sequels to sequels of movies that i never seen heard of. got some chainsaw massacre movie with that mattew guy on it. sadly i passed

[quote name='Gumby the Green']quite jealous of those guys that got memento and what not, for some reason all i got are sequels to sequels of movies that i never seen heard of. got some chainsaw massacre movie with that mattew guy on it. sadly i passed[/QUOTE]

that movie is a giant dog turd thank god u passed. but if iwas a dollar it makes a decent pick up but no more then a dollar

If you think Memento is giant dog turd & only worth picking up for a buck, I think it's safe to say your opinions on movies is questionable at best.

No Big Lots near me, but man I'd like to get Giant & Strangers on a Train for $4 like one user did.

Memento is great. Ignore the idiot who said it sucked.

Funny thing is that I bought the 2 disc when it first came out way back when for over $20. Awesome deal for those who are picking it up for $4. Especially since the version that is in chronological order is on disc 2.

He was talking about "some chainsaw massacre movie with that mattew guy on it".

[quote name='Gumby the Green']quite jealous of those guys that got memento and what not, for some reason all i got are sequels to sequels of movies that i never seen heard of. got some chainsaw massacre movie with that mattew guy on it. sadly i passed[/quote]

[quote name='whitedeath']that movie is a giant dog turd thank god u passed. but if iwas a dollar it makes a decent pick up but no more then a dollar[/quote]

My bad, I misread that one. :dunce: I sort of tuned out after "some texas chainsaw massacre movie", as anything other than the original is trash not even worth a buck.

[quote name='projecteightysix']What the hell is this?[/quote]

Annoying.

And someone got The Squid and the Whale for $3?! That movie is awesome!

Nice new shipment at the one down this way. Titles ranging from Network, All the President's Men, and Dog Day Afternoon to A Nightmare on Elm Street, Freddy vs. Jason, and Creepshow. And all for $3 apiece!

It's a shame the other folks browsing the selection didn't appreciate it. All they saw were "old" movies they'd never heard of.

I walked out with Network (the two-disc special edition), East of Eden, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Strange Brew, Shaft in Africa, THX 1138 (the director's cut), the Animatrix, and Blade II.

mine had alot of new movies but they all had gauges through the upcs so i passed on all the new one. im kinda glad you dug up this old thread instead of making a new one. kudos.

Yeah, about half of mine had a small gash, too, but I don't really mind if it's a cheap copy of a quality film.

[quote name='jfs_87']Don't you find that post a bit awkward since all the words are capitalized?[/QUOTE]

That's almost as annoying as typing with alternating caps. Almost..

One of my BL's got a new shipment-this time nice selection of WB titles. Some stores have nothing, others in a group to which I belong, had a $2 Superbit display, with new titles. YMMV.

I got some Garfield cartoon DVDs for $4 a piece...I already had some, but I noticed:

Garfield Fantasies
Garfield & Friends: A Boy and His Nerd
Garfield & Friends: Behind the Scenes
Garfield & Friends: Schemes and Dreams

yah memento was a pretty good movie.
icon_smile.gif

wanted more action though...

Check your BIG LOTS... MINE HAD a display of some of the movies that were tagged at $2 I picked up some good titles like The Professional Uncut, The One Superbit, CTHD Superbit, and more... seems like some stores already put out the BF rack and I was lucky to stumble upon one... also picked up some of the $3 warner titles as well... BEWARE THEY SLASH THE UPCS ON THE WARNER TITLES...

I noticed at a few of the Big Lots in my area they are selling all the James Bond movies for four bucks a pop. Picked up Dr. NO, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger. Also bought Leon The Professional, The Man With Two Brains for $3 and Fatal Instinct for $2.

I have totally racked up on this sale... although only ONE of the 3 BL's in my area had the new warner shipment (the movies with the damaged UPC's)

Ive probably picked up about 25-30 really good titles, that Im sure not alot of folks here will appreciate such as The Apartment, Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, Network, Mighty Joe Young, and more... for 2-3 bucks its cheaper than renting

[quote name='smashingradioheads']I noticed at a few of the Big Lots in my area they are selling all the James Bond movies for four bucks a pop. Picked up Dr. NO, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger. Also bought Leon The Professional, The Man With Two Brains for $3 and Fatal Instinct for $2.[/quote]

ive noticed that on craigslist..

however, i wont be doing that as i consider the whole set to be a collector's item.
icon_smile.gif

Picked up over the weekend:

American Buffalo
The Tailor of Panama
Adaptation (Superbit)
Bowling For Columbine (2 disk)
The Mothman Prophecies (2 disk)
Night Shift
Shaft's Big Score!
Shaft in Africa
The Dirty Dozen
Diner
Horror of Dracula
THX 1138
The Good German
East of Eden (2 disk)

Also had every Bond film up through Die Another Day for $4 each--these were the editions released between 2000 and 2002.

I can just imagine all the typical consumers buying them up and returning them, claiming they don't work in their DVD player... It would be nice if they did get hd-DVDs in... But I'm happy with what I've got, the DVDs look fine on my upconverting DVD player.

bread's done
Back