Burnout Paradise - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='The 7th Number']What does the new Free DLC update?[/quote]
http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=384

[quote name='sunnysky']Curious about 2 things.
First off, what button do I hit for the "restart"? Stupid me couldn't figure it out. It did come with the 800+ 1.60 download right?!?
Also, how the FFFF do I change the radio chanel. Mine is stuck on classical music. Nothing like driving 150mph while listening to Mozart. Geez. I'd prefer alice in chains.[/quote]

During an event or just after finishing an event open up Easy-Drive (right on the d-pad) and you'll see an option that says restart last event.

And you can disable the classical music by hitting start and hit LB/RB till you find the EA Trax option.

Annnnd it's 800MB cause Criterion likes to roll all the updates into one every time a new pack comes out. I guess it's just easier that way. Maybe for faster load times too. This means you can delete the Cagney/bike packs updates if you still have them on your hard drive.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Cops and Robbers DLC announced:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/06/criterion-bringing-cops-and-robbers-to-burnout-paradise/[/quote]

Low quality snapshots hooray! I see a Cavalry cop car, and a Isuka GT cop car, and a GT 2400 cop car, and I guess any car can be a cop car in cops and robbers.

[quote name='The Frozin One']Has anyone gotten the party pack? What all comes with it? Is it worth the 800 pts?[/quote]

http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/party.php

Sure, it's worth 800 pts if you have friends. I have no friends. So I just bought it for the achieveables. I'm so lonely. :cry: Be my friend or I'll stab you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu7TgpBJnsM&fmt=18

No, it's in the free update. Make sure you input codes for the retailer cars before you download the update though.

Sure, it's worth 800 pts if you have friends. I have no friends. So I just bought it for the achieveables. I'm so lonely. :cry: Be my friend or I'll stab you!

Lol ditto friend ditto but I didn't get it even with the achievements. All my friends have moved since there really is nothing to do here in the boonies lol.

That's interesting all the updates are packaged into this patch, that could save some hard drive space, thanks for the info.

Interview with Senior Producer of Criterion where it says the party mode is included in the Ultimate Box so if you're new to the game extremely good value. Also I guess the biggest thing about the Ultimate Box is that its for PC users or people that aren't connected to the internet all the time. I think it's a good strategy, release free DLC and build up a fan base and then release premium DLC and ask for money. I'm in and I've appreciated all their hard work. Can't wait for the island pack.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/06/joystiq-interview-downloading-criterions-thoughts-on-dlc/

You know what...I blacklisted this game after being a huge fan of the series after I got sick of no restarts. But, I have to give them props on the support they have given this title. With restarts now in....I bought it again :)

Yeah, I'm a diehard Burnout nut and Paradise simply isn't Burnout, but they are making huge strides in making me want to pick the game up again. The restart may push me over the edge. The Delorean is a also pretty fucking cool.

i dig the update. The only problem I have is I never added the codes for the sponsor cars. But i hear you can just delete the update, input the codes then reapply the update.

I really dig the blue lights telling you where the stunt jumps are. Now dont't have to guess where they are.

[quote name='sp00ge']Doubtful, as EA is distributor for Burnout Paradise.[/quote]

Good call. I completely forgot EA bought Criterion after 2.

That leaves another question. Why would they completely poop on Need for Speed then? Why not leave one franchise to focus on the police chase aspect and leave the other for crashes and open world goodness?

[quote name='depascal22']Good call. I completely forgot EA bought Criterion after 2.

That leaves another question. Why would they completely poop on Need for Speed then? Why not leave one franchise to focus on the police chase aspect and leave the other for crashes and open world goodness?[/quote]

Why aren't they both allowed to have cops? :drool: Next you're going to say there should only be one game with cars and the rest have to be other vehicles.

[quote name='depascal22']Good call. I completely forgot EA bought Criterion after 2.

That leaves another question. Why would they completely poop on Need for Speed then? Why not leave one franchise to focus on the police chase aspect and leave the other for crashes and open world goodness?[/quote]

Biggest thing here is different developer so you can't compare em. Plus I think NFS has been going on longer than Burnout so I would assume it would become stale sooner.

I can't get the damn update to Download...anyone have this happen? It fails around 46% all the time, and I've tried everything I can think of...help?!

[quote name='KingBroly']No, it's in the free update. Make sure you input codes for the retailer cars before you download the update though.[/quote]Where are these codes at? I got a new copy from blockbuster but it doesn't have any codes with it.

Well, the brighter Gates made it easier for me to get my last 3 gates (FINALLY).
It feels like more of an achievement that it would have had I had the PS3 version. Because with the PS3, I would have just used their online tool that shows each gate/superjump/billboard.

Is there an achievement for finding all of the drive-thrus? I found the last one last night and didn't get anything - I was hoping for one!!

I STILL can't get the 1.6 patch to download. I wonder if there is something wrong with my HDD or something...it dies at 41% or 46% and tells me "Can't download". But it doesn't give me an error code...wtf?

What have you tried?

Cancel the download and try again, direct connect to your modem with your 360, or try getting it from your download history.

Do you have enough space on your HDD? Try doing the maintenance button sequence that clears the cache.

[quote name='Ronin317']I STILL can't get the 1.6 patch to download. I wonder if there is something wrong with my HDD or something...it dies at 41% or 46% and tells me "Can't download". But it doesn't give me an error code...wtf?[/quote]

Is your HD full? Maybe delete all of the Burnout stuff on there (except your game save) and try downloading again?

Thanks guys...already done both all of that, and then some. I have 9.5GB of free space on the drive. Cleared the cache, cleared my marketplace history, cleared the rights management DB...tried direct connect, even have my xbox on the DMZ on my router. I've deleted it from the HDD, re-started it from my account history...pretty much everything I can think of or find a trick for on the Xbox support forums or anywhere else for that matter. I've found a few other people who have had the same issue, and no one can resolve it. Heck, I even deleted maps and such from Gears 2 and re-downloaded them, just to see if I'd have a problem with those, and nope, no issue there. It seems to be specifically this update.

The thing that is driving me nuts is...I can't play online now with Burnout...

[quote name='javeryh']Is there an achievement for finding all of the drive-thrus? I found the last one last night and didn't get anything - I was hoping for one!![/quote]

You need to find all car parks and all drive-thrus for the Paid and Displayed achievement. You've got the drive-thrus already so you're liek halfway there hooray!

[quote name='bs000']You need to find all car parks and all drive-thrus for the Paid and Displayed achievement. You've got the drive-thrus already so you're liek halfway there hooray![/quote]

Do the car parks show up on the map? If so I don't think I've found ANY of them... though I've been in a few parking garages if that's what they are referring to.

Also, how the hell do you do a 360 degree flatspin? My best handbrake turn is only like 220 degrees.

Finally, how the hell do you do a 2X barrel roll???

[quote name='javeryh']Do the car parks show up on the map? If so I don't think I've found ANY of them... though I've been in a few parking garages if that's what they are referring to.

Also, how the hell do you do a 360 degree flatspin? My best handbrake turn is only like 220 degrees.

Finally, how the hell do you do a 2X barrel roll???[/quote]

Cake! No car parks don't show up on the map. You have to drive to the top and jump off all of them. You can use a map or just drive off the top of any car parks you happen to drive by. You should be able to tell which ones you've already jumped off by the smashed gates in the entrance and on the top. Car parks are the places with the big P and look like parking garages!

Flatspinning is when you e-brake turn off a jump and spin your car. Find a big jump and spin off of it. Make sure you hold the X button the whole time you're in the air or else your car will stop spinning as soon as it's facing forward.

2X barrel roll find a big jump with a split ramp. There's 2 near the quarry (see the 'hidden areas' part of Senocular's map, it's on the left side of the world).

[quote name='javeryh']Do the car parks show up on the map? If so I don't think I've found ANY of them... though I've been in a few parking garages if that's what they are referring to.

Finally, how the hell do you do a 2X barrel roll???[/QUOTE]

I got both of those achievements (barrel roll and flatspin) at the old airfield. Pretty easily, too.

K, so I missed the ball on this when it first came out, but bought the game yesterday (the patch update took an HOUR!!!) ... then started playing multiplayer last night!! It was SO much fun

... but now I want to do the single player to get some better cars so I don't get taken down every time I get near another player! ;)

I have a really stupid question about the update: How the heck do I restart an event? I can't seem to figure it out, and I never get a prompt to restart. Any help would be much appreciated!

[quote name='lyric706']I have a really stupid question about the update: How the heck do I restart an event? I can't seem to figure it out, and I never get a prompt to restart. Any help would be much appreciated![/quote]

I don't believe there's an option to do a restart for events. Actually, I don't even think there's an option to abort your current event, unless you're doing a race in which case you can press up on the D-pad to stop it.

the latest update adds the restart option to the quick menu. Press right on the d-pad and it'll be one of the options to restart your event.

[quote name='GamerChris']the latest update adds the restart option to the quick menu. Press right on the d-pad and it'll be one of the options to restart your event.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU! I thought I was going nuts there for a few minutes.

[quote name='GamerChris']the latest update adds the restart option to the quick menu. Press right on the d-pad and it'll be one of the options to restart your event.[/quote]

It's nice that they finally decided to add in that option. It was really annoying having to drive all the way back to the place you wanted to race, and oftentimes I wouldn't even remember where the race was.

Can anyone tell me about the game mode setup in this game? Can I just load up the game, go into road rage mode, and enjoy my game? Or do I have to drive to every little thing and/or navigate through a career mode to play road rage(like in the demo from a loooong time ago)?

[quote name='grndoom']Can anyone tell me about the game mode setup in this game? Can I just load up the game, go into road rage mode, and enjoy my game? Or do I have to drive to every little thing and/or navigate through a career mode to play road rage(like in the demo from a loooong time ago)?[/quote]

The entire world is open from the start which means you don't have to do anything to unlock different parts of the world. Event become accessible simply by driving through any intersection. There's not an option to just start road rage from the main menu or anything but there's over 100 intersections in the game and the different types of events are scattered evenly so there's always a road rage event just around the corner.

Just a quick update...
I had to delete EVERYTHING on my HDD for Paradise, as the title update that came with (I surmise) the 1.6 update corrupted my save data, which wouldn't allow the update to be downloaded. I finally was able to download it, and had to get all my stuff back. Luckily, I was only up to the B license when that happened...so I'm back in business.

I had this game and sold it off a few months back because it was very frustrating for me to be racing and miss turns or not know where to go.

Did the new patch really clean up this kind of thing, or is it basically the same?

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']I had this game and sold it off a few months back because it was very frustrating for me to be racing and miss turns or not know where to go.

Did the new patch really clean up this kind of thing, or is it basically the same?[/QUOTE]
It helps to learn the city to be competitive, and the update doesn't change that. Though the restart option may make learning the city easier.

I've been playing this game a lot since the update. I just finished finding all the Billboards and Smash Gates, and I have 3 Super Jumps left (I'm not going to look for them... for now). My 360 RROD'd a couple days ago, so I've been using the roommate's. 30 or so wins until Elite!

Just mess around with some buddies or complete strangers online and get the lay of the land. Most of the time you'll just race on the highways or main roads and it's actually quicker than to try and shortcut through blocks.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Just mess around with some buddies or complete strangers online and get the lay of the land. Most of the time you'll just race on the highways or main roads and it's actually quicker than to try and shortcut through blocks.[/quote]

Truth.

Getting off track is lame because you'll be following the compass and really be behind a bunch of buildings and you'll have to turn around or do something dramatic to get back to the finish.

But honestly though just staying near the other racers helps and paying attention to the signs as the game pops them up on your screen.

When I played the demo it seemed really hard to figure things out but having the full game takes some of that pressure off since even if you fail you can (now) restart or just do something else. Game is more relaxing this time around.

So who's buying the new legendary cars? I am. After all these free updates I feel the need to support them with money. Oh and did Criterion ever explain why bikes don't get destroyed or why they can't race with cars or race against one another?

[quote name='FurryCurry']So who's buying the new legendary cars? I am. After all these free updates I feel the need to support them with money[/quote]
I'm on board with that. I didn't go for the PArty pack, because we won't be playing that when people are over (rock band and NHL, or worms when that happens). But I'm definitely buying the cars.

I definitely want to support the people at criterion.
I will buy it the legendary cars.
Although I must admit that I do wish they would show more support for the 360.
They don't give us all the tools the PS3 has. And the people at criterion even admit that they don't like to play it on the 360.
Oh well.
They still deserve my support.

What does the PS3 get that we don't?

I'll be buying the legendary car pack. I wish it was 400 points though - 600 points for 3 cars seems like a bit much. How much different will they make the game? It's more or less like unlocking new costumes for existing cars.

[quote name='javeryh']What does the PS3 get that we don't?

I'll be buying the legendary car pack. I wish it was 400 points though - 600 points for 3 cars seems like a bit much. How much different will they make the game? It's more or less like unlocking new costumes for existing cars.[/quote]

We get the in-game browser, which I'd say is a bit of a negative since it's not optional. But we get the news first. We also get more Nerd Points than ya'll 360 folk. Oh, and we have the downloadable version, which makes the game that much more accessible to start playing.

Oh, and while I'll get the Legendary Car Pack, the Ecto-1 sounds off.

Well the new cars are out. All of them. The legenday cars, toy cars, and boost specials. You also have to download the 1.7 update even though we just downloaded 1.6 not that long ago. Another 900MB lol... I wish they would've included all the new cars in 1.6 then released the unlock codes later. Argh!

I'm trying to figure out how to buy all the cars without buying any of them twice... This is more confusing than Rock Band DLC D:

bread's done
Back