Burnout Paradise - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Spybreak8']Ok am I the only one who can't contact the EA servers? I started up the game today to download the huge patch and nothing happened, (short from downloading the xbox live update). The news feed said unable to connect to EA server and then again when I tried online quick match. Figures, today is my one day of luxury with limitless bandwidth because its at the end of the month.[/quote]

Well It took me a little while to connect last night but I was able to connect after 2 minutes.

Edit... and I should read before I reply... If you don't have the 1.7 patch, you will not be able to connect to the servers anymore... You need to download the 1.7 patch from the marketplace (Its about 800 MB) in order to connect.

Oh I thought It would auto download it from the game, from the marketplace, ahh.

edit: Now with the new patch I can finally restart! Cut 5 stunt runs down to 3! Deleted the Cagne and Bikes update which is good because I need all the space I can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elite License!!!! (Restarts help, owww gold cars^^)

I also did some challenges, still have plenty of those to do and I can finally do online again.

$20 seems like such a great deal for this game....but man I really really hate the open world aspect of it. I don't have time to learn the fn map. What I liked about the previous ones was if you had 15 minutes or so you could jump online and get some races in. Now you can't cause of the structure of the game. I thought I'd be able to get past the new design but so far not.

Someone flaked out, so we're looking for one more person to complete a Burnout Paradise DLC sharing group.

We will be purchasing the following DLC:
Party Pack $9.99
Legendary Cars $7.99
Toy Cars $12.99
Boost Specials $7.99

So, that would be $8 each for everything, and we will also be purchasing any future DLC that is released. Please send me a PM if you are interested.

So anyone else still playing this? I saw a friend playing it and wanted to join his game but then I had to update the game. Once I got into BP I got a message saying an update is available and you have to have the update to play online. I've been fully updated for a while but it's possible another patch has come out recently. What is weird is that I decided to try my luck with a quick match freeburn with the bike and was able to play with people?!

This update is for the new Cops and Robbers DLC released about 3 weeks ago...
There is also the 1.8 Patch (About 900 MB) available. I still play this game frequently. Still would like to know when the island is coming out... maybe THAT will be the 2.0 patch.
Edit: WHA???!!! May 14th for Big Surf Island??!! Looks like it's back to Paradise City for me!
http://burnout.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Surf_Island_(Update)

[quote name='Spybreak8']So anyone else still playing this? I saw a friend playing it and wanted to join his game but then I had to update the game. Once I got into BP I got a message saying an update is available and you have to have the update to play online. I've been fully updated for a while but it's possible another patch has come out recently. What is weird is that I decided to try my luck with a quick match freeburn with the bike and was able to play with people?![/quote]
I haven't played Burnout Paradise in a few months, but when I was playing it - I played for hours every night. I guess I kind of hit the point to where I wasn't unlocking much anymore, and it started to become more labor than fun.

Yea I'm pretty sure I've got the 1.8 patch. Its funny the game has to patch for DLC that I don't have. You may say well it has to download it but I just played Fallout 3 last night and it didn't ask me to dl an update because Broken Steel came out.

Yea I've got my elite license and everything but still need to do those online challenges.

Yea I know that you don't play people online in Fallout 3, but usually when developers add a new element to a game they need to patch it to accept the new content.

omg I just did an accidental barrel roll into a vertical takedown! I then came back from 8th place to win a race. I was going nuts when that happened. These are the kind of moments that make the Burnout games awesome. :D

[quote name='Spybreak8']I cant wait for Surf Island and I'll pop in the game again once it hits.[/QUOTE]

I'd pop it in before that or make sure you download the latest update to your console from the Marketplace on xbox.com because you'll need that before you can access Surf Island. Don't want your wait time to be any longer than it has to be!

Hey I have seen a box for "Burnout Paradise Ultimate box" going for $39.99, is this just "Burnout Paraside" ($19.99) with the Bikes and Cagney free downloads added in? Or does it really have better graphics as it says? Does the 1.8 patch upgrade the graphics?

Thanks
JJ

Burnout Ultimate just has the bikes and updates. Although I think you'll still need to get the latest patch to play online. I guess it changes the graphics, meaning the intro screens are different now, but the game still looks great.

[quote name='GamerChris']Burnout Ultimate just has the bikes and updates. Although I think you'll still need to get the latest patch to play online. I guess it changes the graphics, meaning the intro screens are different now, but the game still looks great.[/QUOTE]Just wanted to second this. There was no "main menu" per se in the original game. The updates added a more traditional menu interface, and thus "new graphics." The actual gameplay won't look any better or worse.

Yes. "Ultimate" has the 1.6 patch (Which has the restart race feature among other tweaks). You will still need to download the 1.8 patch to play online (And to answer your question j_j the 1.8 patch does NOT improve graphics).
Can't wait for Big Surf Island!

Edit: and BustaUppa beat me to it... I'll get you for this Busta! :p

Many thanks GameChris, BustaUppa & xpag406, now I'll get my copy of Burnout Paradise $19.99 copy used from Gamestop, they have a buy2 used get 1 free, so I'll see what they have.

Also wanting the Surf Island on the June 11th DLC as it looks wicked! :cool:

JJ

The graphics really are improved. In one of their updates (I'm pretty sure it was party pack) they toyed with the contrast and other things to make Paradise look better. It was mostly to address complaints about difficulty seeing at night. The sound has been overhauled twice. So Burnout Paradise today looks and sounds alot different than when it was released. All these updates are already available to download on the marketplace for free. So really you're better off with the $20 version. Party pack is included in the Ultimate Box but it's only $10 on the marketplace so if you buy the ultimate box you're pretty much paying $20 for the party pack plus some hard drive space :p

[quote name='Corvin']Why give Gamestop $20 for a used copy when you can support Criterion and get a new copy at Amazon for $16.99?[/QUOTE]
Cool, thanks Corvin, I'll get that at Amazon along with a movie I wanted plus free shipping :bow: or try my luck on ebay!

Did you just call the dune buggy a hot rod? D: And yes it's part of the island pack. And it's 9 new cars! And 2 of the other new cars that have already been revealed are a little disappointing. It's just more modified versions of existing cars like all the other DLC cars. I was hoping for more all new cars like the Dust Storm. And another one of the new cars is a souped up version of the dust storm rewarded for beating the dust storm burning route. Hopefully at least a few of the other 5 are brand new.

Island_Governor_02.png

1243583840-1annihilator.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EylH4BmxXYg&fmt=22

I will probably buy Big Surf Island but I wish it was $10 considering the entire game can be had brand new for under $20.

New island cars

Carson Dust Storm: Unlocked with island
SP 3
BO 4
ST 4

Crason Dust Storm Superturbo: Dust Storm Burning Route
SP 4
BO 6
ST 4

Jansen P12 Diamond: Complete all 500 freeburn challenges
SP 6
BO 7
ST 3

Hunter Olympus Governor: Island License progression (50%?)
SP 6
BO 7
ST 10

Jansen Toy 88 Special (Toy DeLorean): Smash all island billboards
SP 2
BO 5
ST 3

Carson Toy Nighthawk (Toy KITT): Beat all island road rules
SP 4
BO 6
ST 10

Hunter Bootlegger Cavalry: Find all 15 mega jumps
Toy Spirit (Ghostbusters): Find all island smashes
Carson Annihilator Street Rod: Island license completion 100%

I almost forgot it was coming out today! I was like whats Thursday, Burn Notice (check), Royal Pains after that (check) ahh I don't think I'm forgetting anything. *face palm lol*

Still downloading, thank god I installed the game or it'd be spinning the disc just to download the file!? ><

Ok just awesome, they should have called it Big Stunt Island lol. Already grabbed the Smash n' Grab achievement. If you love Burnout then I don't know why you wouldn't grab this dlc. Well maybe price but I didn't even think of that since all the lovin' they've been giving this game. It's practically a donation.

Wow, no online races for the island, total bummer. Having a blast with this dlc though as I just unlocked the Toy 88 Special, boy does that thing fly!

2 hrs to download 1.2 Gigs. $12.50 or 1,000 MS points. Awesome island, densely packed with stunts, it's not a small island because it goes vertical. Lov'in it so far; especially the new Mega Jumps!!

Guess I can delay purchasing FUEL for awhile.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Still downloading, thank god I installed the game or it'd be spinning the disc just to download the file!? >

[quote name='bs000']You could just download it from the marketplace on teh dashboard like normal and play another game or watch a movie. I know it's too late now but for future reference :p[/QUOTE]

I didn't find it on the marketplace, sure you can download the update along with the unlock piece which was 108kb but the main update was in game so I thought it was like Guitar Hero not letting you exit the game/ exiting the download. It was worth the wait though lol.

I don't want to double post so I'll just edit this one.
Ahh I'm 14/15 Mega Jumps away from completing that part and I can't find that one last mega jump. Says I'm 50% done with all the events done, I guess I need to complete the road rules now along with the challenges online.

Don't forget to Delete your 1.7update from your hardrive.
Once you download 1.9, you don't need any others. All you're really buying with new content, is a code to unlock the content from the updates.
Some people probably have several Gigs used up from all the updates criterion has put out.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I'm 14/15 Mega Jumps away from completing that part and I can't find that one last mega jump.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I got all Smashes and Billboards yesterday, plus 14 of 15 Mega Jumps. That last Mega Jump in Mid-town is well hidden.....I spent 20 mins hunting for it, and so far nada.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']2 hrs to download 1.2 Gigs. $12.50 or 1,000 MS points. Awesome island, densely packed with stunts, it's not a small island because it goes vertical. Lov'in it so far; especially the new Mega Jumps!!![/QUOTE]Ouch. It was 1.2 gigs for you guys!? For the PSN it was 100 kbs, since it didn't make anything new, it just wrote a new code that used stuff already in-game.

that was funny.

what's sad is me looking for that last Mega Jump in Mid-town for an additional 20 mins, making it 40 mins total before repeating an existing Mega Jump I previously found. Turns out, Mega Jumps only counts when you land them; go figure.

So far, unlocked three of the toy legendary cars, plus the Ar-Nold Hummer. Very exiciting, all 15 events completed. Just a bunch of road rules remaining til 100%.

This update gave Paradise new life, I had it shelved due to RE5. Anyhow, looks like there's at least room for two more islands, one above and one below. Come'on Criterion and EA, pump them out.

edit: two islands for 1,000 MSP in 2.0, sold!!

bread's done
Back