CAGLS: Madden 13 Gentlemen's League - We Finished! Thanks for Playing!

[quote name='njrockpd']We should no abuse this of course. Don't sign 12 players at 12:01 right? Or is it truely a free for all. My team has A LOT of holes and my 3 off season trades didn't go through.[/QUOTE]

What is the logic for the 1200am advance?

[quote name='njrockpd']We should no abuse this of course. Don't sign 12 players at 12:01 right? Or is it truely a free for all. My team has A LOT of holes and my 3 off season trades didn't go through.[/QUOTE]

At 12:00 AM EST, you can fill whatever holes your team has with whatever players you want (that haven't been claimed...last time I was on, I noticed Tom Brady and Paul Soliai still hadn't been signed by their new respective teams). There's really no way to distinguish what "abusing" it would be...so it's just easier to say all bets are off. Everyone is aware of the time. Get whatever players you need.

I do want to remind everyone though, that we're enforcing our own waiver wire. So, if you cut a player, you're not eligible to re-sign him for 2 (in game) weeks...during which time, any other team is free to sign him. This doesn't apply to the low-rated temporary guys people were signing just to fill holes...but I do want to make sure we don't have any crazy "contract restructuring" going on to free up more money to sign other FA's.

[quote name='Docb9110']What is the logic for the 1200am advance?[/QUOTE]

That each free agency group has 6 hours of "normal time" to choose their player. The times were roughly 12PM EST and 6PM EST for groups. Considering that most of the "big name" free agents are going to be gone after one round of drafting, I want to make sure everyone has a fair shot of getting the player they want before opening it up for a free for all. Midnight isn't even convenient for me...as there's a very good chance that I'll be fighting with my daughter trying to get her to go back to sleep at that time. But it's fair for the league.

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']At 12:00 AM EST, you can fill whatever holes your team has with whatever players you want (that haven't been claimed...last time I was on, I noticed Tom Brady and Paul Soliai still hadn't been signed by their new respective teams). There's really no way to distinguish what "abusing" it would be...so it's just easier to say all bets are off. Everyone is aware of the time. Get whatever players you need.

I do want to remind everyone though, that we're enforcing our own waiver wire. So, if you cut a player, you're not eligible to re-sign him for 2 (in game) weeks...during which time, any other team is free to sign him. This doesn't apply to the low-rated temporary guys people were signing just to fill holes...but I do want to make sure we don't have any crazy "contract restructuring" going on to free up more money to sign other FA's.[/QUOTE]

So again, what is the logic of opening FA at 12am EST? It just seems a select few people may have be at an advantage that late? I don't have anyone in particular in mind so please don't think I'm mud slinging by any means but it just seems illogical as in sure the majority of the league won't be readily available so late to jump on whereas maybe a 1pm advance the following day is during lunch hour for all time zones (sorry cali it maybe be an early 11am lunch) but at least we are all mostly awake and at some point in the early afternoon may have a chance at being on as opposed to a 7-8 hour window where only night owls and those of us lucky enough to not have a desk job will be able to be on?

[quote name='CAGLeagueSports']That each free agency group has 6 hours of "normal time" to choose their player. The times were roughly 12PM EST and 6PM EST for groups. Considering that most of the "big name" free agents are going to be gone after one round of drafting, I want to make sure everyone has a fair shot of getting the player they want before opening it up for a free for all. Midnight isn't even convenient for me...as there's a very good chance that I'll be fighting with my daughter trying to get her to go back to sleep at that time. But it's fair for the league.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense for the last group of FA draft of course but you could just say 12am is the cutoff for us and open FA th next day so people like you and I an again most of the league (anyone else please speak up if the time works for you as I don't want to speak for everyone) don't get the bottom of the barrel like you said?

Ya, I don't get the midnight advance either, I'd prefer a next day advance around 4 or 5 EST so that everyone has a relatively fair shot at signing FA's rather than at midnight. Most of us are old men that sleep early and wake up early lol. There isn't any cons to pushing that back imo.

Either way the open FA happens we still have 2 days till the regular season; todays preseason games, tomorrow and thursday, we should start the regular season Friday I think. I'd be fine simming the rest of the season at this point.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Ya, I don't get the midnight advance either, I'd prefer a next day advance around 4 or 5 EST so that everyone has a relatively fair shot at signing FA's rather than at midnight. Most of us are old men that sleep early and wake up early lol. There isn't any cons to pushing that back imo.[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily disagree with your rationale, given that I am one of those "old men," though I am admittedly a night owl. For my own particular case, it is next to impossible for me to fight traffic and get home from work at the times you suggested unless I take the afternoon on leave.

What makes things worse for me is that I cannot access the website. Because I am a cheap SOB, I am playing in this league with my 12 yr old son's XBL live account. There seem to be some issues with linking his XBL account and EA's ridiculously complicated scheme of EA account/Origin account/whatever BS account they have. I presume the problem is that he is a minor, but whatever. In my case, I have to be on the Xbox to do anything with my team.

From a practical standpoint, most any time chosen for the open FA will not be good for *someone* or several someones. The midnight EST (11, 10, 9 pm for the other time zones), seems reasonable. Some time in the middle of the day or afternoon seems to be more restrictive due to what I expect are people's typical obligations (work, school, etc.). Losing some sleep late or waking up early seems like a reasonable proposition to me.

[quote name='HooRox']I don't necessarily disagree with your rationale, given that I am one of those "old men," though I am admittedly a night owl. For my own particular case, it is next to impossible for me to fight traffic and get home from work at the times you suggested unless I take the afternoon on leave.

What makes things worse for me is that I cannot access the website. Because I am a cheap SOB, I am playing in this league with my 12 yr old son's XBL live account. There seem to be some issues with linking his XBL account and EA's ridiculously complicated scheme of EA account/Origin account/whatever BS account they have. I presume the problem is that he is a minor, but whatever. In my case, I have to be on the Xbox to do anything with my team.

From a practical standpoint, most any time chosen for the open FA will not be good for *someone* or several someones. The midnight EST (11, 10, 9 pm for the other time zones), seems reasonable. Some time in the middle of the day or afternoon seems to be more restrictive due to what I expect are people's typical obligations (work, school, etc.). Losing some sleep late or waking up early seems like a reasonable proposition to me.[/QUOTE]

Waking up early...I agree.

Yeah, the thought behind it is 12 am est is the earliest time that still gives group 4 equal time to pick up their players. If we play the "What time is good for everyone?" game, free agency will never be opened up, lol. At this point, I just want to be done with it and move on. One less thing to worry about and all that And like I said, the idea is also that most of the "prized players" will be gone by then anyway. It seems silly to delay things even more for people picking up #5 WRs and #3 RBs.

Oh those times wouldn't work for me either Hoorox. I'd prefer a 7/8/9EST advance personally so I could be around. I just want as many people as possible to be able to be on rather than just a handful.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Oh those times wouldn't work for me either Hoorox. I'd prefer a 7/8/9EST advance personally. I just want as many people as possible to be able to be on.[/QUOTE]

Those times don't work for me. How about 11:59 pm est tomorrow? See what I mean? And round and round we go.

How about opening it tonight at 11 eastern it a little bit earlier so more people can be around and then this can all be over already... the sooner the better and we can move past this

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, the thought behind it is 12 am est is the earliest time that still gives group 4 equal time to pick up their players. If we play the "What time is good for everyone?" game, free agency will never be opened up, lol. At this point, I just want to be done with it and move on. One less thing to worry about and all that And like I said, the idea is also that most of the "prized players" will be gone by then anyway. It seems silly to delay things even more for people picking up #5 WRs and #3 RBs.[/QUOTE]
Would the timetable change if all of group 4 picks their players before midnight?

[quote name='DVO21']How about opening it tonight at 11 eastern it a little bit earlier so more people can be around and then this can all be over already... the sooner the better and we can move past this[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. DVO for president.

[quote name='staticz']Whatever gets us to playing games faster is what I want. This wait is getting crazy![/QUOTE]

This. I'm so damn ready to play at this point that FA could be at 2:15 AM for all I care (the other league is in what, week 5 already?)

[quote name='Konfusion']I am fine with a late free agency opening. I will be at work during these other suggested times.[/QUOTE]
Ya it's at midnight that isn't changing.

[quote name='KasterDB']Come on DVO, keep politics out of the thread. You're just asking for trouble.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about my boss

Haven't checked to see if he's still kicking, but since I haven't seen him in-thread:

Team: Seattle Seahawks
Player Added: Josh Cribbs, WR

Will pick up in a bit when I turn my Xbox on.

EDIT: Got him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn...nobody is going to take Ty Warren? lol ;) Anyway, here's the most updated list for reference purposes.

Free Agent Draft

Please use the following format:

Example
Team: Tennessee Titans
Player Added: Reginald Johnson, TE

The following teams are now free to add one free agent. Anyone from this group can make a selection. You don't have to wait on the team ahead of you.

Group 1
1. Chargers - Ryan Anderson, WR
2. Browns - Israel Jones, WR
3. Packers
4. Giants - Jason Witten, TE
5. Cowboys - Tom Brady, QB
6. Falcons - Reggie Jones, FS
7. Raiders - Allen Baker, HB
8. Rams - CPU

Group 2
9. Steelers - Duane Tyson, WR
10. Buccaneers - Mikhail Smith, WR
11. Jaguars - Todd McClure, C
12. Panthers - Paul Soliai, DT
13. Colts - Jovan Belcher, MLB
14. Cardinals - Mohamed Sanu, WR
15. Patriots
16. Bears - Bradley Landi, WR

Group 3
17. Dolphins
18. Titans - Davone Bess, WR
19. Redskins - Beanie Wells, HB
20. Broncos - Mark Sanchez, QB
21. Seahawks - Josh Cribbs, WR
22. Saints - Kirk Morrison, LOLB
23. Ravens - Ronde Barber, FS
24. Bengals - Maurice Hoyle, HB

Group 4
25. Texans
26. Vikings
27. Eagles - Donnie Avery, WR
28. Bills
29. Chiefs - Cam Thomas, DT
30. 49ers - Albert Haynesworth, DT
31. Jets - Roy Williams - WR
32. Lions - Bill Nagy, LG

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like the Texans and Bills are the only teams not to pick yet. If everyone picks their player can we open up the FA FFA (Free Agent Free For All) early?

[quote name='njrockpd']It looks like the Texans and Bills are the only teams not to pick yet. If everyone picks their player can we open up the FA FFA (Free Agent Free For All) early?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='perdition(troy']I wouldn't open it up early at this point I would just leave it until 12 EST like nate said earlier.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, at this point, we've probably got people who are away from their PCs/Xboxes, expecting free agency to open up at midnight. Changing things too much just makes the situation even messier. Better to just stay the course and go with the plan.

No, and he hasn't been talking to me on live either. He's essentially out of the league imo. I know that the old owner popped in a few days ago, maybe we can get him back now that he is done with his CPA testing and studying.

Also, look at my TE's and let me know if you are interested in any of them.

[quote name='perdition(troy']No, and he hasn't been talking to me on live either. He's essentially out of the league imo. I know that the old owner popped in a few days ago, maybe we can get him back now that he is done with his CPA testing and studying.

Also, look at my TE's and let me know if you are interested in any of them.[/QUOTE]

Would you trade a TE for Robbins my first year SS?

bread's done
Back