Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='Rodimus']Cool, I'm glad you had a good time. If I went I wanted Pham to sign some Mighty Avengers, before the series sucked.

Both those places are in Miami so I've never been. I live in Broward (work in Miami.) I go to this little place on Pines Blvd and sometimes Tates.[/QUOTE]

are you talking about the place on pines blvd east of university?

Yeah I got Pham to sign my MA and he did a 30 second sketch of Cap for me. I also got Sandoval to sign my MA also.

I got Cho, Pham, and Sandoval.

[quote name='Rodimus']I also noticed that they're pumping out the Ultimate Avenger titles very fast. It's very un-Millar like.

Anyone else reading the Thanos Imperative? Issue #1 was solid and a great start. Lots of things going on but Abnett & Lanning do a superb job show all the different angles. Also it's nice to see Thanos back in his old threads again. The only bad thing I can say about it is the art, it's a bit muddled. It's not bad but I think it would be a lot more epic with someone else.[/QUOTE]

I think they Ultimate Avengers stuff could be better. They do seem to be coming out rather fast. I would of liked to see both series go more than six issues, but hey, what can ya do. Hawkeye needs to change his costume in the series though.

This week is a pretty expensive week for me, but its worth it. Return of Bruce Wayne #3, American Vampire #4, Amazing Spider-Man #635, Avengers #2, Fantastic Four #580, Ultimate Avengers 2 #4, Thunderbolts #145 and X-Men Legacy #237. I will review some of these on my blog in my signature (shameless advertising!). I dont know which ones yet.

I can probably review comics better than IGN can. Lol.

I also really want to read Alias. I should buy that soon.

[quote name='ppself']I don't understand why they call it New Avengers either, since it's basically a continuation from Ultimate's characters and storyline.

I personally am not digging it right now though, they better spice it up with something that makes sense.

The Ultimate Avengers 2 is holding up though. I just saw that they are releasing another issue this week. Are they sending them things out every 2 weeks or something? I'm not complaining though.[/QUOTE]

If I understand correctly, isn't "ultimate avengers" supposed to be the ultimate universes secret avengers?

though I am still confused by the naming conventions. Naming the one main team "the ultimates" in the "ultimate universe" was kind of a stupid choice imo.

[quote name='HuBu']are you talking about the place on pines blvd east of university?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, in a little strip mall with a laundry mat. I forgot the name but it's only 5 minutes away from my place. Really nice people too. I don't get my subscription from them, but I pick up single issues here and there.

I never understood why they named Avengers The Ultimates in the ultimate universe either. Seemed kinda dumb.

But they had a good writer and good artist on the book so i couldn't pass it up. Now they got The Ultimate Avengers 2. :p

Can't wait until they get up to The Ultimate Avengers 13, since they are basically numbering if after every story line finishes.

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah, in a little strip mall with a laundry mat. I forgot the name but it's only 5 minutes away from my place. Really nice people too. I don't get my subscription from them, but I pick up single issues here and there.[/QUOTE]

When I drove by this Sunday, it seemed like the place was closed. Can you verify this? I live over in Miramar right by I-75. I was rather bummed but I can be wrong about the store closing.

[quote name='HuBu']When I drove by this Sunday, it seemed like the place was closed. Can you verify this? I live over in Miramar right by I-75. I was rather bummed but I can be wrong about the store closing.[/QUOTE]

I was there a couple weeks ago. They moved a few stores down some months ago. They're still in the same building but now in the corner. I'm almost positive they're still there. They showed no signs of closing or moving last time I was there.

[quote name='Rodimus']I was there a couple weeks ago. They moved a few stores down some months ago. They're still in the same building but now in the corner. I'm almost positive they're still there. They showed no signs of closing or moving last time I was there.[/QUOTE]

That must have been it. I will check it out. haven't been there in awhile.

What does everyone think of DC moving to digital distribution?

I personally prefer printed.

[quote name='HuBu']That must have been it. I will check it out. haven't been there in awhile.

What does everyone think of DC moving to digital distribution?

I personally prefer printed.[/QUOTE]

I think the same thing i thought when Marvel went digital. A wasted effort.

Most comic book fans will prefer print over digital. It's more about collecting than reading to some. Digital could be a good doorway to get people into print or into comics period, though.

But reading a comic on a psp isn't all that good. I have to be able to see a full page at a time to read a comic.

Another problem with digital comics is technology moves too quick. Once your IPad is obsolete what happens to all your comics? Also not everyone has the same phone, computer, iPad etc. There is no standard for digital distribution and I doubt there ever will be.

I would say the only benefit to digital comics would be if you had a subscription and access to a large library of titles. Buying single issues is a waste of money.

[quote name='manthing']I didn't know Winick was taking over Power Girl.

fuck...

:whistle2:([/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. I'll still pick up the first issue he does to see how it is. I'll pass judgment then.

I'm getting pretty excited for JMS' superman run. I think the big action type stories have been done quite often so taking a break with a more personal Superman story is just my kind of thing.

Off all the comics I read this week I would have to say that Fantastic Four #580 was easily the best (followed by Joe the Barbarian #6). Hickman is suited perfectly for the Fantastic Four. Its been nothing short of stellar since he took over and its only going to get better when Steve Epting takes over the art.

I plan to review Avengers #2, ASM #635 and FF %580. So stay tuned.

[quote name='diddy310']I honestly have no idea where The Grim Hunt is going after this weeks issue - first Spidey comics I have bought in years (New Ways to Die and before that Marvel Knights).

Did anyone else see the massive poster that's coming out for Origin of the Species?

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2448/spidermanposter05finalw.jpg[/QUOTE]

Man, did someone rip off Djurdjvec's (i think spelled his name wrong) style?

I like that Thor one though, i am a big fan of that particular artist.

Just finished reading Avengers #2 though. I swear they are really throwing them curve balls on that last page of the book. I hope they stop dong it, so i don't get to impatient for the next issue. :p

[quote name='ppself']Man, did someone rip off Djurdjvec's (i think spelled his name wrong) style?

I like that Thor one though, i am a big fan of that particular artist.

Just finished reading Avengers #2 though. I swear they are really throwing them curve balls on that last page of the book. I hope they stop dong it, so i don't get to impatient for the next issue. :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I loved the last page. I reminds me of old classic Avengers from the 60s-70s.

Also, the Thor poster art is by the awesome Oliver Coipel.

Bendis' fondness for loads of banter doesn't really fit the Avengers IMO. Tony Stark sounded like Hawkeye who sounded like Spider-Man...

There is absolutely no reason to have Wolverine on 2 Avengers teams. It's overkill to the point of being distracting.

Take Wolverine out and give Spider-Woman some much needed page time (and bring back her frickin' awesome series by Bendis and Maleev) and it would be much better.

[quote name='neocisco']Bendis' fondness for loads of banter doesn't really fit the Avengers IMO. Tony Stark sounded like Hawkeye who sounded like Spider-Man...

There is absolutely no reason to have Wolverine on 2 Avengers teams. It's overkill to the point of being distracting.[/QUOTE]

I want the banter. I want to see them talk about the Civil War. It's necessary and I've been waiting for it.

I don't want Marvel to gloss over the animosity and leave the heroes all hunky dory with each other.

Thats why I'm keeping Avengers Prime on my list. The art is crap, but I'm interested in what the Avengers Holy Trinity have to say.

[quote name='neocisco']Bendis' fondness for loads of banter doesn't really fit the Avengers IMO. Tony Stark sounded like Hawkeye who sounded like Spider-Man...

There is absolutely no reason to have Wolverine on 2 Avengers teams. It's overkill to the point of being distracting.[/QUOTE]
I definitely rolled my eyes at "I'll buy you a pony." Oh well, the book works more often than not, but definitely isn't the homerun it should be.

It's not the banter I mind, it's that all the characters are speaking in the same manner and they all sound the same.

Alan Davis' art is "crap" and "horrid"? Yeeeaaaaaahh... If that's so, then who are some good artists?

I don't think Davis's art is crap persay, but I don't think it fits the goblins, trolls, scenery and rainbows of Asgard. I have no problem with his human character models. It's just the fantasy stuff that is weird to me.

[quote name='neocisco']It's not the banter I mind, it's that all the characters are speaking in the same manner and they all sound the same.

Alan Davis' art is "crap" and "horrid"? Yeeeaaaaaahh... If that's so, then who are some good artists?[/QUOTE]

I prefer Yu, Lee, Olivetti.

artist with styles i dont like: Stroman, Land...

[quote name='ppself']Man, did someone rip off Djurdjvec's (i think spelled his name wrong) style?
[/QUOTE]

Can't rip himself off - he did this poster too. Pretty close on the spelling, Djurdjevic.

[quote name='The Chop Suey']did anyone read ultimate avengers 2 #4 what was up with spiderman? was the even spiderman i was so lost about that[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know where that Spider-Man came from. Maybe something in Ultimate Fantastic Four with the zombie crap and dimension traveling they did, but I don't recall every seeing him before. It was a good issue though.I really like this version of Satan ass apposed to the 616s Satan.

[quote name='diddy310']Can't rip himself off - he did this poster too. Pretty close on the spelling, Djurdjevic.[/QUOTE]

WTF happened to the quality then?

Definitely not up to par with his past work. Maybe he was rushed or something.

[quote name='neocisco']It's not the banter I mind, it's that all the characters are speaking in the same manner and they all sound the same.

Alan Davis' art is "crap" and "horrid"? Yeeeaaaaaahh... If that's so, then who are some good artists?[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about Davis in general but rather his stuff in Avengers Prime. The last spread with Enchantress is nice, but the rest is bland. Just look at the faces bro. I also didn't like his most recent Thor one-shot. But I shouldn't rag on him too much. He is the artist that formed Excalibur.

Off the top of my head I like, Yu, Romita Jr, Bachalo, Van Lente, Dodson, Figueroa (Transformers), Cho, McNiven, Quitely, Adams..... and a bunch more I can't think of.

I would add Jim Lee, but I'm not much of a DC guy, so I don't have many of his recent comics. But there's no denying he's an amazing artist.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ppself']WTF happened to the quality then?

Definitely not up to par with his past work. Maybe he was rushed or something.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he was going for a lighter look than his usual work for the Spidey Universe?

There's also the possibility that it was penciled by someone else, I think he did that with Oliver Coipel on Thor a few times.

[quote name='The Chop Suey']did anyone read ultimate avengers 2 #4 what was up with spiderman? was the even spiderman i was so lost about that[/QUOTE]

I just caught it. And yea wtf is going on now.

I agree it's probably some alternate reality spider-man plopped in there with not explanation.

Getting tired of the clone hulk referring himself as Banner, and the black guy referring himself as the Hulk.

Just put the REAL Hulk in there and let him clean up this mess.

I agree with crazy zombie psych Spidey that Nerd Hulk sounds cooler than Banner. :p

Also, Ultimate Nick Fury is a freakin' ladies man! Not that I really care much about what happens to the asian black widow since she's been pretty boring for the most part. Just put more Hawkeye and Satan in the future issues.

Also, I reviewed some comics from this week on my blog in my sig. I'd like to get into reviewing comics for a site or something. Lemme know what you guys think of it.

New Wonder woman costume and Millar is planning out a sequel to Old Man Logan.

Wonder how much more of a story can he develop.

[quote name='HuBu']New Wonder woman costume and Millar is planning out a sequel to Old Man Logan.

Wonder how much more of a story can he develop.[/QUOTE]

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut!!

More Old Man Logan??

I would definitely love to see more of the lore of this future world.

[quote name='ppself']Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut!!

More Old Man Logan??

I would definitely love to see more of the lore of this future world.[/QUOTE]

More history on how it came about would be nice. Millar already bust his load on Wolverine.

The new Wonder Woman costume looks like either classic Rogue or a throwback to the 90's where everyone cool and hip had a leather jacket (and sunglasses ala Superboy). They could do without the jacket, thats really a half jacket.

I was tempted to get Wonder Woman #600 but I figured I don't know shit about the character (or care that much) so I passed on it. I'll stick with Batman/Gotham City stuff on the DC front.

Also, Old Man Logan are going to be in the current ark on Avengers so look forward to that too!

Jeph Loeb got put in charge of Marvel's TV department. I guess they're brainstorming on a live-action Marvel TV show and he's asking fans for suggestions. What do you guys think?

X-Factor would be cool or maybe some kind of X-Men show. I'd like to see them focus on a team rather than a single hero like Spidey, Wolverine or Deadpool.

[quote name='Rodimus']Jeph Loeb got put in charge of Marvel's TV department. I guess they're brainstorming on a live-action Marvel TV show and he's asking fans for suggestions. What do you guys think?

X-Factor would be cool or maybe some kind of X-Men show. I'd like to see them focus on a team rather than a single hero like Spidey, Wolverine or Deadpool.[/QUOTE]

with all the obsessing over vampires of late they should do something with that group blade was in with hannibal king and the human guy. me personally id like to see ironfist and cage.

Lots of people are suggesting street level heroes like Cage and Iron Fist. A Marvel Knights show would be cool. Add in Daredevil & Moon Knight. Maybe Shang Chi and Dr. Strange too. I'd defiantly watch that.

You really wouldn't even need costumes for a show like this. That would probably cut down on the cheez factor.

Dr. Strange is probably getting a hollywood produced movie since they got writers hired for it. Cage and Iron Fist would be a great live action show or they could just make it a Heroes for Hire show. That would be badass.

It's also a huge week for comics this week. The First X-Men #1 in twenty years, The Old Republic comic starting, a slew of great Batman books, Walking Dead, the next chapter in Spidey's Grim Hunt, Shadowland starting and Second Coming ending.

I'm looking forward to the Avengers Children's Crusade. I've missed Young Avengers for a long time and its great to see the original creative team on board to do it.

Wait wut??

Jeph loeb in charge of something? Yea,I won't be paying to much attention to that. Watch it be hulk related. Red hulk maybe, with his disappearing stache.

bread's done
Back