Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']I can't believe some here were expecting a Steelbook case. They never mentioned a steelbook and if you're a Steelbook collector you'd know they don't make huge Steelbook slipcases. Pretty silly to expect one here.[/QUOTE]

I thought it could've been an iron pack or something. Also, the initial pic from gamefaqs seemed steelbook like (plus I never heard of a tin slip case). ...mvc3 CE came in a slip case

I was being hopeful, not silly ^^

[quote name='gettinmoney662']First, it was pages of people complaining about this collector's edition and how it isn't worth it. Now it's pages of people complaining that they won't get their CE after waiting till the last minute to pre-order. Interesting.[/QUOTE]
not the same people, though. when companies do screwy things to potential customers, they tend to noy like getting screwed. they lied about what it came with, initially, and since they didn't want to elpain the discrepancies, they were so quiet as to not promote the CE like they should have, and people didn't know until it was too late.

[quote name='havuk']Yet another CAG feeling "entitled" they aren't charging any extra to upgrade to this SCAMCO as you put it.. If you don't like it, don't buy it... simple enough.[/QUOTE]
how DARE they be mad for being told one thing, and being sold another? who do these idiots think they are? like they deserve to have opinions on a forum. what trash!

[quote name='twztid13']how DARE they be mad for being told one thing, and being sold another? who do these idiots think they are? like they deserve to have opinions on a forum. what trash![/QUOTE]

Nobody's being sold another thing than what they bought. The change was made known before the game came out, so no one has to buy/end up with the revised LE if they don't want to. Your brand of whining/*****ing really isn't constructive. Yeah, Namco changed the bonuses a bit, and you don't think they're as nice as before. That doesn't mean you need to go on endlessly about it. Nor does it mean they lied - they just changed their mind for whatever reason, and (I repeat) did so and updated their site prior to the game hitting shelves. Deal with it.

[quote name='Mad dog']Money, greed.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's something that no other publisher has. Most videogame companies actually produce videogames as a public service and only accept payment as a formality.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I need to bookmark this thread. The posts on Tuesday are likely going to be awesome.[/QUOTE]

Indeed indeed... cant wait, lol

[quote name='eastx']Nobody's being sold another thing than what they bought. The change was made known before the game came out, so no one has to buy/end up with the revised LE if they don't want to. Your brand of whining/*****ing really isn't constructive. Yeah, Namco changed the bonuses a bit, and you don't think they're as nice as before. That doesn't mean you need to go on endlessly about it. Nor does it mean they lied - they just changed their mind for whatever reason, and (I repeat) did so and updated their site prior to the game hitting shelves. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]
i'm not griping myself, i spoke with my wallet.

my post was to point out that people that are riding DS' nuts don't have a monopoly on posting in this thread. don't like the people that are upset that they WERE TOLD ONE THING, AND BEING SOLD ANOTHER (reading is fundamental), then don't read their posts. you whining about them is worse than them complaing about an issue they feel wronged on.

how does your whining about people having an opinion here being constructive at all. i was standing up for free speech. i'd say that's more constructive than whining for the sake of whining. others that are 'whining' at least have a legitimate reason. do you?

EDIT: and please, do tell, what is MY brand of whining?

[quote name='twztid13']i'm not griping myself, i spoke with my wallet.

my post was to point out that people that are riding DS' nuts don't have a monopoly on posting in this thread. don't like the people that are upset that they WERE TOLD ONE THING, AND BEING SOLD ANOTHER (reading is fundamental), then don't read their posts. you whining about them is worse than them complaing about an issue they feel wronged on.

how does your whining about people having an opinion here being constructive at all. i was standing up for free speech. i'd say that's more constructive than whining for the sake of whining. others that are 'whining' at least have a legitimate reason. do you?

EDIT: and please, do tell, what is MY brand of whining?[/QUOTE]

A righteous brand :applause:

[quote name='twztid13']

EDIT: and please, do tell, what is MY brand of whining?[/QUOTE]

I meant your in the plural sense, like 'you guys who are whining non-stop.' Sorry if you're not guilty of doing too much of that, though I did catch two posts of that nature from you, and you do seem to think it's fully justified.

Bringing up free speech is silly. Just because someone can say something, that doesn't make it not immature or pointless. No one is exempt from criticism simply because free speech exists - just as one person's free to say something stupid or whatever, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out for it.

[quote name='eastx']I meant your in the plural sense, like 'you guys who are whining non-stop.' Sorry if you're not guilty of doing too much of that, though I did catch two posts of that nature from you, and you do seem to think it's fully justified.

Bringing up free speech is silly. Just because someone can say something, that doesn't make it not immature or pointless. No one is exempt from criticism simply because free speech exists - just as one person's free to say something stupid or whatever, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out for it.[/QUOTE]
who deemed you the 'decider of all that is stupid' (especially so much that you had to search out 2 posts of mine from WAY back, in which after expressing my displeasure with the bait & switch, i cancelled my order)?

you shouldn't get to say who says what, and you need to be called out on that (your ability to say something stupid)!

EDIT: ...and why exactly is bringing up free speech on a forum, silly, exactly (especially when you have every attempt to stifle it by shaming people that post something that you disagree with)?

[quote name='eastx'] No one is exempt from criticism simply because free speech exists[/QUOTE]
you act like namco bandai is!

[quote name='Ultragamer']For those of you wondering what will be in the "mini-guide" here's one of the pages that shows what it contains compared to the actual guide.

Mini-Guide Contents
[/QUOTE]

Do you mean what is highlighted is mini-guide material and what is not is full guide material?

EDIT: I could try reading the top of the guide.

Cliff notes please. I am having a hard time following with all the argueing. I thought people were posting here because of the pending release excitement. I ordered in June when it was announced. What is the issue? If I recall all preorders receive an upgrade that included a book and a soundtrack like the last one.

[quote name='gepet0']Cliff notes please. I am having a hard time following with all the argueing. I thought people were posting here because of the pending release excitement. I ordered in June when it was announced. What is the issue? If I recall all preorders receive an upgrade that included a book and a soundtrack like the last one.[/QUOTE]

You will get an artbook and a special case and a code to download the sountrack, making of DVD and a mini-guide.

[quote name='Ultragamer']For those of you wondering what will be in the "mini-guide" here's one of the pages that shows what it contains compared to the actual guide.

Mini-Guide Contents
[/QUOTE]

Whaat? The mini-guide doesn't contain as much info as the full guide?

I'm boycotting Namco Bandai now.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I can't believe some here were expecting a Steelbook case. They never mentioned a steelbook and if you're a Steelbook collector you'd know they don't make huge Steelbook slipcases. Pretty silly to expect one here.[/QUOTE]
Uh, yes they do:
halo2le001.jpg

I'm sure there have been other examples in the past, but this was the first one that popped to mind as being a steelbook with a plastic slipcase.

Does anybody remember Namco's statement when they decided to replace the physical guide with a digital one? They claimed they were doing customers a great benefit by now offering a "complete game guide".

"We are pleased to announce that the development team behind the game have decided to enhance the already superb content for Dark Souls by replacing the `mini game guide' (hardcopy) with a `complete game guide' (download) due to the challenging level of game play that this title offers."

Stay classy, indeed, Namco.

[quote name='henryVIII']Does anybody remember Namco's statement when they decided to replace the physical guide with a digital one? They claimed they were doing customers a great benefit by now offering a "complete game guide".

"We are pleased to announce that the development team behind the game have decided to enhance the already superb content for Dark Souls by replacing the `mini game guide' (hardcopy) with a `complete game guide' (download) due to the challenging level of game play that this title offers."

Stay classy, indeed, Namco.[/QUOTE]
yes, sir, i do. i can't believe they're getting away with this junk. we, being fooled for looking at the Demon's Souls release, thought the 'mini' referred to a complete guide, but a smaller size, so we were confused. now i know that even if it were physical, it wouldn't be 10% of the actual guide's size (content wise), so i am baffled to why it was so big that they couldn't include it physically, now, lol (not really, as NB being shysters is the reason, but still).

i want the game so bad, but i'm getting it through a trade, used, eventually.

[quote name='Jodou']Uh, yes they do:
halo2le001.jpg

I'm sure there have been other examples in the past, but this was the first one that popped to mind as being a steelbook with a plastic slipcase.[/QUOTE]

I can't see the image.... But if by plastic slip cases the might I point out the latest one the Oblivion one with the plastic writing on the slip case? Or am I off base and misunderstood what the slip case was referring too....

[quote name='henryVIII']Does anybody remember Namco's statement when they decided to replace the physical guide with a digital one? They claimed they were doing customers a great benefit by now offering a "complete game guide".

Stay classy, indeed, Namco.[/QUOTE]

I'm not defending Namco, but that quote is referring to the UK release.

http://preparetodie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=396

PAL descriptions of the special edition on zavvi, hmv and shopto mention digital game guide. The US versions say "mini."

It's pretty crappy and confusing, and if the mini guide is only those few topics, then I don't see the point. Would you have to pay to get the full digital version?

Disclaimer: I'm not whining about the free LE contents of the game I was planning on buying at launch anyway. Just kind of disappointed how mini the mini guide apparently is (and I'm someone who already has the Future Press guide preordered).

I just talked to a rep on amazon chat and he said "just got the word,all pre orders will get upgraded" he said he was 100% sure.Which is good cause now I can get release date shipping and not wait till oct 6th and pay 9.00 for that!!!..

According to a user on gamefaqs, the code that comes with the CE is not restricted to one use and can be redeemed among multiple people. I will not actually link to the post through which I obtained this information, as the ability to reuse the code is likely unintended, but it was posted on the gamefaqs Dark Souls board if you wish to search for it.

[quote name='Gnomes and Pie']According to a user on gamefaqs, the code that comes with the CE is not restricted to one use and can be redeemed among multiple people. I will not actually link to the post through which I obtained this information, as the ability to reuse the code is likely unintended, but it was posted on the gamefaqs Dark Souls board if you wish to search for it.[/QUOTE]
As if anything digital doesn't get released on torrents anyway. That's why I couldn't care less about non-physical items in a CE, because I can get them elsewhere and usually before it even releases.
[quote name='jacknicklson']http://ce.preparetodie.com/index.php?redeem=7ba5299bd35e1145e0b03ad3bd15a47e[/QUOTE]LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Site is getting hammered now and my soundtrack speed is 50k/s. :(

[quote name='Mad dog']How long will this last? What a fucking joke![/QUOTE]
Until they take them down. They're not going to bother re-writing the web code to fix the exploit. Same thing happened with the GoW3 soundtrack and goodies from their CE.

[quote name='Fearia']No differences, other than the obvious console differences (controllers / achievements vs trophies) and a frame rate stutter rarely on the 360 version (from Kotaku reports). Other than for that, the games are supposedly identical. Same size, one disk, etc.

I'm leaning towards the 360 version since most of my friends play 360. Party chat *IS* confirmed to be disabled when playing Dark Souls, but I like achievements better. And the controller. Not to mention, the fact that the servers will be Microsoft run, which gives me hope that they'd be running longer.[/QUOTE]
hehe thats same reason i'm getting i for xbox. not to system wars but i actually liked my ps3 better for a while but most my friends play the xbox and i like their online much better. trophies imo is a better system but xbox has a much better interface to view all the achievements on people and junk. the exlcussives on the ps3 taking advantage of it's hardware that the xbox cant do were good for a while but really i havnt see much since ff13.

So I guess I was right. Since the mini guide is also made by Futurepress, that's likely the reason they didn't include a physical one. It was designed just to be a tease of the full guide so you can buy it separately.. No "coincidence" about that decision and the release of the CE guide

[quote name='ssjmichael']So I guess I was right. Since the mini guide is also made by Futurepress, that's likely the reason they didn't include a physical one. It was designed just to be a tease of the full guide so you can buy it separately.. No "coincidence" about that decision and the release of the CE guide[/QUOTE]
Yep, I must admit since it actually is just ripped from the Future Press guide that it wasn't just coincidence. Still, I'd rather have the tin than a physical guide/CD that EU got.

Just finished sampling the soundtrack and it must be the same composer because it instantly sounded like Demon's Souls. Heavy harp use for sanctuary/shrine areas and the same choir usage for bosses.

[quote name='ssjmichael']So I guess I was right. Since the mini guide is also made by Futurepress, that's likely the reason they didn't include a physical one. It was designed just to be a tease of the full guide so you can buy it separately.. No "coincidence" about that decision and the release of the CE guide[/QUOTE]

I don't really think it was a tease. It's definitely helpful, but knowing this game, I don't want to be ripping my hair out. I'll keep the full guide beside me in case I try something to the point where I'm so frustrated I'm about to quit. That's why I bought the full guide. Plus it might be worth money in the future and $18 is cheap for a hardcover guide.

Some people are acting like it's the end of the world if they don't get the CE. If I don't get the CE, I return it, simple as that. On the other hand I have a Fry's near me so I can check that out on release Day. It's just a fucking game!

[quote name='ssjmichael']Write it in big pink letters so they know you're serious![/QUOTE]

no no, the big pink letters were to shame us for raging/panicking over a fucking game! oh no, now i feel bad :cry:

[quote name='nieon']is there a part 2 to the soundtrack or is that a typo? dling atm[/QUOTE]

I would also like to know this.

[quote name='nieon']is there a part 2 to the soundtrack or is that a typo? dling atm[/QUOTE]

They probably have a real OST that they will sell so this is just a taste, just like the guide.

bread's done
Back