Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
again, amazon reps dont know shit

theres only a limited supply of CEs people and theres another reason why there are two UPCs.

[quote name='urallgyots']again, amazon reps dont know shit

theres only a limited supply of CEs people and theres another reason why there are two UPCs.[/QUOTE]

There's no indication this is super limited. Every pre-order copy from the listed retailers is going to be collector's edition whether you like it or not. People that order from one of those retailers in the first few days after launch may get lucky as well. Amazon always makes good and will more than compensate anyone who doesn't get one but should have because they preordered.

[quote name='Jodou']Yep, I must admit since it actually is just ripped from the Future Press guide that it wasn't just coincidence. Still, I'd rather have the tin than a physical guide/CD that EU got.

Just finished sampling the soundtrack and it must be the same composer because it instantly sounded like Demon's Souls. Heavy harp use for sanctuary/shrine areas and the same choir usage for bosses.[/QUOTE]I agree with you about the tin; I showed my brother the recently-posted pic of it and he instantly said it looked "super sexy" and asked if he could try out Dark Souls during his school break next week (he's a fan of Demon's Souls). :lol:

You know what, though? Dark Souls doesn't actually have the same composer...

http://www.destructoid.com/big-names-behind-dark-souls-soundtrack-212582.phtml

That's right--Motoi Sakuraba of Star Ocean, the Tales of series, and Valkyrie Profile fame is behind the music. :hot:

[quote name='bojay1997']There's no indication this is super limited. Every pre-order copy from the listed retailers is going to be collector's edition whether you like it or not. People that order from one of those retailers in the first few days after launch may get lucky as well. Amazon always makes good and will more than compensate anyone who doesn't get one but should have because they preordered.[/QUOTE]

this

[quote name='bojay1997']There's no indication this is super limited. Every pre-order copy from the listed retailers is going to be collector's edition whether you like it or not. People that order from one of those retailers in the first few days after launch may get lucky as well. Amazon always makes good and will more than compensate anyone who doesn't get one but should have because they preordered.[/QUOTE]

that fact that it shows up as sold out everywhere is not enough indication? Amazon has it as sold out, I called kmart and they said their version no longer shows as Collector's Edition. Same with the gamestop I phoned, they said they ran out of collector's editions a month ago and now only offer standard editions. Namco underestimated the demand for this game, simple as that.

Do your homework.

Lol, just saw the ce link on gamefaqs as was going to post it here. Yeah the download servers are getting hammered! Took almost 10 mins after I clicked a link before the download actually started.

Also, I checked the page where you enter the redeem code and it states

"Complete the form below to access the bonus content download page. All fields are required.
Your code allows access to downloads for twenty-four (24) hours. Limit one (1) use of the special download code per person per purchase."

With the downloads as slow as they are now (I'm getting about 30 kb/s), I'm pretty sure most people wont be able to download all the stuff on Tuesday within the 24 hour limit. Probably best to try to get as much now since DL servers might completely crash on Tuesday.

Wait so if I preorder now on Amazon I would get this thing day of even though it says that it is only the standard edition? If so that is a very big thing to hope for without actual evidence :cry:

Also - does anyone think that there will be another batch of them out like other CE have because it is being published straight by Namco this time round instead of Atlus? Will the price drop a bit after launch or not...I can't figure it out but feel like hope is definitely getting the best of me :roll:

[quote name='Jodou']Uh, yes they do:
halo2le001.jpg

I'm sure there have been other examples in the past, but this was the first one that popped to mind as being a steelbook with a plastic slipcase.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea there's plenty Of steelbooks with slipcases. I'm not sure what pic you posted since it doesn't work lol, but perfect dark zero, oblivion 5th anny, metriod prime trilogy and various others come to mind

I was hoping this would have been a metal pack or something, we knew it wouldn't be a steelbook though, or else they'd have advertised it.

[quote name='R0tatioNz']Wait so if I preorder now on Amazon I would get this thing day of even though it says that it is only the standard edition? If so that is a very big thing to hope for without actual evidence :cry:

Also - does anyone think that there will be another batch of them out like other CE have because it is being published straight by Namco this time round instead of Atlus? Will the price drop a bit after launch or not...I can't figure it out but feel like hope is definitely getting the best of me :roll:[/QUOTE]

There's a copy available on amazon for $99, free shipping. Just go get that one if you're unsure.

[quote name='urallgyots']that fact that it shows up as sold out everywhere is not enough indication? Amazon has it as sold out, I called kmart and they said their version no longer shows as Collector's Edition. Same with the gamestop I phoned, they said they ran out of collector's editions a month ago and now only offer standard editions. Namco underestimated the demand for this game, simple as that.

Do your homework.[/QUOTE]

Amazon and Gamestop only stopped guaranteeing the CE for preorders a few days ago. Kmart was never on the list to get it because they don't do preorders. Maybe you should do your homework and stop spreading misinformation.

So with all of the downloadable CE extras available online for everyone, are the art book and tin case the only real "exclusives" that come with the CE?

I'm tempted to pre-order from Amazon just to see if I can get it, but I have a feeling this game will be on sale for at least 50% off before the end of the year, and I already have enough extra junk that I don't need or want. Plus, Rage is coming out the same day.

[quote name='VaultBoy101']So with all of the downloadable CE extras available online for everyone, are the art book and tin case the only real "exclusives" that come with the CE?

I'm tempted to pre-order from Amazon just to see if I can get it, but I have a feeling this game will be on sale for at least 50% off before the end of the year, and I already have enough extra junk that I don't need or want. Plus, Rage is coming out the same day.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. This is the exact problem with a CE being nothing more than a special box and a collection of codes for digital content. Everything that's supposed to be "rare" ends up online and available to all, immediately devaluing the very thing that was intended to hold value in the first place. That would physically be impossible with a true CE, which is what was promised at the outset.

As such, I already sold my CE on eBay for a little more than $80. I already have all the digital items and I can live without the metal tin and artbook if it means getting the game for $20-30 down the road when I've got more time to devote to it (Resistance 3, Batman: AC, Uncharted 3, and Black Friday say hello).

[quote name='R0tatioNz']Wait so if I preorder now on Amazon I would get this thing day of even though it says that it is only the standard edition? If so that is a very big thing to hope for without actual evidence :cry:

Also - does anyone think that there will be another batch of them out like other CE have because it is being published straight by Namco this time round instead of Atlus? Will the price drop a bit after launch or not...I can't figure it out but feel like hope is definitely getting the best of me :roll:[/QUOTE]

Supposedly,Every order is getting upgraded,least what a rep told me this morning.So Hopefully he's right or Im gonna jump off a cliff (kidding but ill be a lil mad since he told me its ok to cancel my CE order)

[quote name='guardian_owl']CE download code posted a few pages back not working any longer, says it's expired. Any video game best buy reward zone 10% offs going to be active Tuesday? Only one I found becomes valid the day after, 10/5.
http://m.bestbuy.com/mobile/coupons/coupon-premier-3083276.html
as I don't imagine they will price match the Target gift card offer.[/QUOTE]

Just pick the game up on Wednesday and the code should be valid!

[quote name='Jodou']Uh, yes they do:
halo2le001.jpg

I'm sure there have been other examples in the past, but this was the first one that popped to mind as being a steelbook with a plastic slipcase.[/QUOTE]

I missed this post, but I'm not talking about a Standard steelbook in a plastic slipcase. Ilm talking about a large slipcase/casing/box (i.e. outer packaging) made of metal. Has there been a Steelbook like that? No. The Halo 2 CE was a regular sized steelbook. Namco/From Software's wording never stated it's a Steelbook, nor that it was for the game's case. They said all of the contents would come in a metal case. Obviously with everything included that wouldn't be a Steelbook...If they said just the game would come in a metal case then I can't blame people for speculating that it could be one but the fact that they were just talking about the outer packaging and not the game, it's obvious it wasn't going to be a Steelbook. Even the stock pictures shown should clue people in that there was no way the metal casing was going to be a Steelbook

From their Press Release:

The Dark Souls Collector's Edition can be pre-ordered for $59.99, the same price as the standard edition, and will include a limited edition art book containing premium illustrations of characters and environments from the game, a mini-strategy guidebook, behind-the-scenes videos from the development studio detailing various stages of game concept, design and building, and the game's soundtrack for digital download. All of this will come packagedwith the standard edition gamein a custom-designed metal case.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']I missed this post, but I'm not talking about a Standard steelbook in a plastic slipcase. Ilm talking about a large slipcase/casing/box (i.e. outer packaging) made of metal. Has there been a Steelbook like that? No. The Halo 2 CE was a regular sized steelbook. Namco/From Software's wording never stated it's a Steelbook, nor that it was for the game's case. They said all of the contents would come in a metal case. Obviously with everything included that wouldn't be a Steelbook...If they said just the game would come in a metal case then I can't blame people for speculating that it could be one but the fact that they were just talking about the outer packaging and not the game, it's obvious it wasn't going to be a Steelbook. Even the stock pictures shown should clue people in that there was no way the metal casing was going to be a Steelbook

From their Press Release:

The Dark Souls Collector's Edition can be pre-ordered for $59.99, the same price as the standard edition, and will include a limited edition art book containing premium illustrations of characters and environments from the game, a mini-strategy guidebook, behind-the-scenes videos from the development studio detailing various stages of game concept, design and building, and the game's soundtrack for digital download. All of this will come packagedwith the standard edition gamein a custom-designed metal case.[/QUOTE]
At this point I don't even know what we're arguing about lol. I thought you were saying that they've never used a plastic case for a steelbook before. At any rate, I was more hoping it would be a steelbook because a few game CEs have come that way before. I was ready to settle for less, though.

[quote name='OregonDealz']This thread should be closed and reopened thursday or somethng... Crazy emotional in here.[/QUOTE]

Agreed...

This thread has shown the lowest of lows for CAG community.

[quote name='OregonDealz']This thread should be closed and reopened thursday or somethng... Crazy emotional in here.[/QUOTE]

This x100

...actually the ps3 forums has a dark souls thread :whistle2:\"

Just got a text from GS saying my copy will be available for midnight launch. Surprised because this store is small and they never do midnight releases. Called to verify and they said come early for a line ticket because they have about 50 or so pre-orders of Dark Souls. They also said they didn't get any shipments of the guide book! Called 4 other GS stores and only 2 of them said they'll have them available Tuesday.

Anyhone know how long GS usually stay open for midnight releases? Looks like after I get my game I'm going to have to rush to another one a city away to try to get the guidebook or wait til morning to get it.

Came from Best Buy after buying Archer.

They had a sign by the games saying the printed ad is a mistake, and it'll be the standard edition on the shelves, not the collector's edition.

[quote name='jacknicklson']It's about to get even worse in here...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, wait til people actually PLAY the game. Oh man. . .

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, wait til people actually PLAY the game. Oh man. . .[/QUOTE]

I'm going to say, after I die on the first boss, I'm going to exit title and watch somethings on netflix...

[quote name='elessar123']Came from Best Buy after buying Archer.

They had a sign by the games saying the printed ad is a mistake, and it'll be the standard edition on the shelves, not the collector's edition.[/QUOTE]

Wow.... I thought some people had confirmation they had collector's editions of the game? Or were people just lied too? Mass chaos about to hit....

[quote name='new1']Wow.... I thought some people had confirmation they had collector's editions of the game? Or were people just lied too? Mass chaos about to hit....[/QUOTE]

It's Worst Buy; those ppl were lied to.

They had a sign by the games saying the printed ad is a mistake, and it'll be the standard edition on the shelves, not the collector's edition.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that means all the people who ordered the "Collector's Edition" from the kiosk, and have receipts to show that, are going to get burned too? If so, all hell WILL break loose for sure . . . there are going to be a lot of angry people! Also, if they don't have a preorder waitlist, someone who ordered it months ago could lose out to someone who ordered it days ago . . . gonna be very ugly for sure! :hot:

I remember somewhere someone said they knew the manager at their BB and the CE's have arrived, just sitting in the back....

Tried digging around but couldn't find it,

If I put my preorder in a few months ago when newegg had the promo, will I be getting the collector
version from them or no?

[quote name='Pooka5046']I remember somewhere someone said they knew the manager at their BB and the CE's have arrived, just sitting in the back....[/QUOTE]

I was talking with one of the Gaming Reps who confirmed that it was in fact the collector's edition in the back. She said she saw a few boxes of them (I guess there is only a few in each box) and there would be

[quote name='elessar123']BTW, here's a picture of the paper:

Haha you got trolled...
Or did you?
Na... Here it is:

photobucket-4101-1317600198827.jpg
[/QUOTE]

me dont speaky spanish? translation

This makes sense. If you preordered, you will get the Collector's Edition and if you just go and buy it off the shelf, you get the regular edition. Not sure why anyone would be shocked by this as the free upgrade was for pre-orders.

[quote name='bojay1997']This makes sense. If you preordered, you will get the Collector's Edition and if you just go and buy it off the shelf, you get the regular edition. Not sure why anyone would be shocked by this as the free upgrade was for pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but some people were going to go pick the game up day one, and some have been saying all initial runs will be CE.

Just started going through Demon Souls, but I did pre-order Dark Souls. What do you guys think, should I keep my preorder and get the collectors or should I cancel my preorder, beat demon souls and by that time the CE will be $40.

Advice?

[quote name='Nesmaster75']Not sure if anyone saw this (or if it's even what we're getting in the states), but figured I'd post it just in case.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/xbox_360/egm-unboxed-dark-souls-special-edition/[/QUOTE]
Woah, this changes things for me.

So... the tin for the CE is just a cool carrying case for the standard edition of the game? Maybe I will try and snag a CE version then :p

I just wish someone on the interwebs would post up pictures of an NA unboxing; all you seem to find are the PAL CEs.

I'll likely pickup the strat guide since its made by Futurepress. But I'm also looking for some good online discussion & guides for both demons souls and dark souls. Any recommendations other than ps3trophies.com?

bread's done
Back