Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm reminiscing about the epic fights w/ Adamantoises and Long Guis in chapter 11 - shame I can't fire up my game save and get to that point.[/QUOTE]

Is Long Guis the name of that epic monster?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']I find it amazing that people complained about the lack of customization and such, the Crystarium and upgrading/dismantling system is deep as hell, there's sooooo much to do. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd call upgrading deep, but dismantling is a very nice addition. I was playing around with it earlier and ended up with some nice stuff such as Sprint Shoes. That'll be nice for non-boss battles for sure.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']The game does get a lot better though, after the halfway mark. Felix Heights is still my favorite area, fighting in the sunset with the mellow BGM was amazing.[/QUOTE]

Chocobo riding theme is better. :p

[quote name='leeloo1977']This is a huge plus for me since I often have to stop gaming suddenly. In fact last night I actually got into a stream of events in the game where it went like 30 minutes with me being unable to save. I really had to turn the game off, my husband was getting very irritated. I almost thought it was funny that the game has so many save points but the one time I really need to turn it off I am unable to save! lol I kind of had to speed through some things so I think I probably should go back to the last prior save point anyhow to make sure I didn't miss anything. The ability to save anytime anywhere would be nice for me in every game. This one is almost there but you can still get stuck for awhile being unable to save, which for me is not a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Yea, there should be there should be the option to save anywhere like 90% of games have these days.

I'm in the 4th chapter and I was wondering how many more mechanics they introduce to the battle system. My head is beginning to hurt and I feel a little overwhelmed sometimes with the Paradigm Shifting.

Overall I'm really enjoying this game so far and can't wait to play it some more this weekend. The graphics are absolutely incredible and I like the story so far. I don't have a problem with Vanille and I like most of the characters so far.

I'm nearly 22 hours into it now, I'm guessing I'm about 2/3 through Chapter 9 at the moment. I started reading some of the datalog entries (not the story parts, but the BG info) and it's sort of interesting so far. Nothing too far fetched that I don't really understand or haven't picked up on by myself.

Don't worry, Franky. I felt the same way, and then it sort of all clicked together around Chapter 6. I still use Auto Battle exclusively, though. It seems like it's the best choice.

I'm about 4 hours into it and I'm really digging it so far.

I don't understand the linear complaints. Final Fantasy X was linear as hell too and nobody complained about that one; when not in a town, you just ran down a narrow path as well.

The paradigm system is pretty cool and makes the battles far less boring.

My only true complaint is the fact that there isn't any classic Final Fantasy jingles in it. I would have liked that classic theme play at the end of a battle. The title screen song isn't missed though since the one they have on FFXIII is pretty amazing itself. Still, with the omission of some of these jingles, it kind of makes the game feel like something other than an FF game.

Got to the "intermission" (as noted in the strategy guide) last night. I'm thoroughly enjoy the new pace and no NPC's to talk to. Years ago and over the lifespan of the series I didn't mind putting ridiculous hours into a final fantasy game. Now being married with two kids.....my play style has changed. Also I'm a sucker for pretty graphics, so....

[quote name='shadowkast']Got to the "intermission" (as noted in the strategy guide) last night. I'm thoroughly enjoy the new pace and no NPC's to talk to. Years ago and over the lifespan of the series I didn't mind putting ridiculous hours into a final fantasy game. Now being married with two kids.....my play style has changed. Also I'm a sucker for pretty graphics, so....[/QUOTE]

thats a good descrpition of my feelings.

Hardest boss for me thus far (I'm on ch. 8 in palumpolem) was the
two beast monsters, 1 water 1 lightning at the end of the forest level. Sometimes they wouldn't do much damage at all other times they would hit a shitload and kill vanille. Took me a while but I finally got it....

anyone know if there are fights like the one in my spoiler later in the game? it was the only frustrating fight I've come across so far.

[quote name='IRHari']anyone know if there are fights like the one in my spoiler later in the game? it was the only frustrating fight I've come across so far.[/QUOTE]

The final boss of chapter 9 will probably be a pain for you. I went back and finished off the chapter 11 final boss, who isn't really hard... just has a ton of HP and defense which took me about 10 minutes as opposed to 30 last time where I died. I guess I got a little carried away doing random stuff around chapter 11. Damn you chocobos...

There was also a required mission for the story in chapter 11 that gave me some trouble. The monster was a bellow (second type you come across) and I was lacking HP back then as it could pummel any character to death when I first encountered it.

30 hours in, got hung up at the chapter 11 boss, actually had to grind a bit :cold:

I think the only flaw with this game is that you can't save paradigm decks, and a few enemies are more of endurance tests as opposed to good fun.

story is solid so far, dialogue is a bit on the heavy side but nothing to wince at. i'll give final judgment when i finish but so far it's wonderful.

is the main story 60 hours? i have to beat this before sunday so I'm hoping I can finish it around 50.

well, unless anyone here knows if it's possible to transfer save data to another PS3, because then I can just take my time and finish it when i get back to school.

I'm about 10 hours in, and very pleasantly surprised. I was aware of the complaints/praise for this game, and I'm probably somewhere in the middle, leaning toward the latter. The advancement system really reminds me of a somewhat simpler version of FFX's Sphere Grid, which is a good thing (the Sphere Grid thing, maybe not the simpler). Combat isn't that bad, considering there aren't many RPGs where you don't end up mashing one button (usually Attack), but I definitely like Paradigm Shift a Hell of a lot more than FFXII's system.

I'm about 5 hours in.

I'm enjoying it, but I'm really just treating it as a typical JRPG with pretty graphics.

The story and characters are very "Japanese style." It makes more sense then Bayonetta, but I'm just not even trying to make sense of the things the characters say or do.

I really like the level up system, very addictive. The battle system reminds me of a much better version of the battle system in The Last Remnant. It's actually pretty cool.

I just gained
the ability to change my Battle Team
, so my question is as follows:
How much farther do I have to go in Chapter 9?

Well, after finishing chapter 11 earlier, I literally steamrolled through chapter 12. Mainly since I changed out one member since new skills were available and changed out weapons and upgraded some new ones. Now that I'm at chapter 13, I think I'm going to head back to the chapter 11 area and do some more side stuff before beating the game. Then I'll head back there again and finish off the side stuff and work on trophies.

[quote name='KingBroly']I just gained
the ability to change my Battle Team
, so my question is as follows:
How much farther do I have to go in Chapter 9?
[/QUOTE]

Basically all you have left of that chapter is
one more long room/area before the final boss of the chapter. Good luck with him, it should be fun. *cough*

Yeah...it should be considering all the positive things I've heard about it. I'm almost maxed out with everyone, though.

[quote name='KingBroly']I honestly don't mind the lack of towns. In FFXII, I got really confused about where I was going sometimes because the towns were basically cities spanning 4-5 screens.

I'm 19 and a half hours in right now. Chapter 8's boss gave me a bit of trouble. I actually had to make my own Paradigms for the first time in the game.
It once again confirms my hate for the Eidolon battles in this game. They're really strict with the timing.

I've also found a cheap, but effective way to grind in this game. If you're near a save point with enemies, beat the enemies, go to the save point, access it, don't save, and voila, the enemies have magically respawned.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this tip. It should definitely save some time from accessing the elevator!!

[quote name='greyzieoriental']How long is it taking you guys to complete the game?
I'm 13 hours in and I want to enjoy this game and beat it before GOW3 comes out.[/QUOTE]

I believe the final boss is right around the corner for me and I'm 42 hours in. Haven't touched the sidequests (well, I did one).

I'm about 7 hours in, on Chapter 4. I do like the paradigm system and the fact that when you die, it puts you right before where you encountered the enemies you just faced. I don't like the fact that the death of the character that you control causes a KO. The story is a little hard to grasp as well, at least so far. Hopefully things will start to click into place soon.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Is it just me, or is Dajh the creepiest little CG kid I've ever seen?[/QUOTE]

Creepier than Milo?!

[quote name='pantweasel']I'm about 7 hours in, on Chapter 4. I do like the paradigm system and the fact that when you die, it puts you right before where you encountered the enemies you just faced. I don't like the fact that the death of the character that you control causes a KO. The story is a little hard to grasp as well, at least so far. Hopefully things will start to click into place soon.[/QUOTE]

The datalogs help a lot with understanding the story.

[quote name='Bavgate']Creepier than Milo?![/QUOTE]

Don't bring back the nightmares.

I'm at a dilemma here.
I know the game wants me to level up my other classes with every character right now, and I've been told that's a waste, but I get the feeling that's how the game wants me to go about things.
What do you guys think?

Well, I am only 7 hours into the game so far but I am very happy I decided to ignore all the naysayers that bitched about this game based on the japanese version. The early positive buzz surrounding the NA/Euro release definitely pushed me towards an early purchase and I am glad I did! Very fun game so far.

I can't wait to play this game. So how does the PS3 version look? Is it just like what we've seen in the trailers? Trying to get through Yakuza 3 1st.

[quote name='jh6269']I can't wait to play this game. So how does the PS3 version look? Is it just like what we've seen in the trailers? Trying to get through Yakuza 3 1st.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, it's pretty. Even though alot of the maps are simply point A to point B, there is tons of detail in the environments. Fine line between CG and in-game characters, props to squenix again!!!

Anyone else think Snow looks like Spencer Pratt from The Hills in the cutscenes. That flesh-colored beard makes him a dead ringer.

I don't see why people were complaining about this game, it's definitely fun, but not knowing the story is probably why most didn't like it. At least for those early Japanese copy players.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I don't see why people were complaining about this game, it's definitely fun, but not knowing the story is probably why most didn't like it. At least for those early Japanese copy players.[/QUOTE]

That and it has become so fashionable for geeks (especially on the internet) to bitch about everything and not actually enjoy anything anymore.

I mean, I can understand being critical of games/movies etc, and I will fully admit that my expectations for FF13 were low. But almost all the previews I read about this game were pretty much negative bitching and moaning about every little thing.

Yeah now that I've beaten it, I really have to question the integrity of the critics who gave this game mediocre to terrible scores.

I mean 4 - 6 out of 10 is like scores you give to spongebob games or something.

I really think it's a result of the rising popularity of games from Bioware and the fact that FFXIII is practically a polar opposite to them. In other words, it's not "RPG" enough to get high scores. That and it's Final Fantasy, and people love picking on the big guy.

I would definitely agree. I could see someone giving it a 6.5-7 maybe, but a 4 or a 5 is a complete joke (at least the PS3 version; who knows what problems the 360 version has). A 5 is basically saying the game is almost unplayable, whereas this it can be manipulated to your very whim.

I just faced my first
Behemoth King
in Chapter 11. Not a smart idea. Not at all.

I havent read much due to possible spoilers.
But just wanted to say
Im about 70% done with the game and its pretty awesome.
I would rate it a 9/10
It sucks because it doesnt feel like im 70% done with the game. time seems to go by way to fast while playing through the game :(

[quote name='KingBroly']I just faced my first
Behemoth King
in Chapter 11. Not a smart idea. Not at all.[/QUOTE]

There are far worse things out there in chapter 11. :p

[quote name='Ivanhoe']I havent read much due to possible spoilers.
But just wanted to say
Im about 70% done with the game and its pretty awesome.
I would rate it a 9/10
It sucks because it doesnt feel like im 70% done with the game. time seems to go by way to fast while playing through the game :([/QUOTE]

The last 30% is gaming bliss =D

[quote name='panzerfaust']Yeah now that I've beaten it, I really have to question the integrity of the critics who gave this game mediocre to terrible scores.

I really think it's a result of the rising popularity of games from Bioware and the fact that FFXIII is practically a polar opposite to them. In other words, it's not "RPG" enough to get high scores. That and it's Final Fantasy, and people love picking on the big guy.[/QUOTE]

Well Mass Effect 1 and 2 are easily two of the best games I've ever played and I still can't see what the fuss was about FF13, there is room for both types of games!

People RIPPED ME2 for how less rpg-y it was from ME1 which was kind of a legit concern (but many people sure didn't word their complaints very well). But it just goes to show you that it has become way too common for people just to bitch about things without ever doing it in a constructive way.

Seriously, it is ok to just ENJOY things sometimes without having to find ways to destroy it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Yeah now that I've beaten it, I really have to question the integrity of the critics who gave this game mediocre to terrible scores.

I really think it's a result of the rising popularity of games from Bioware and the fact that FFXIII is practically a polar opposite to them. In other words, it's not "RPG" enough to get high scores. That and it's Final Fantasy, and people love picking on the big guy.[/QUOTE]

Really? I find that reviews tend to favor the big guys more than rip them. For instance I still don't see the appeal to God of War, I mean they are good games but there is much better in the genre and I really don't think God of War is deserving of the phenomenal scores it gets.

[quote name='Dasflikko']Well Mass Effect 1 and 2 are easily two of the best games I've ever played and I still can't see what the fuss was about FF13, there is room for both types of games!

People RIPPED ME2 for how less rpg-y it was from ME1 which was kind of a legit concern (but many people sure didn't word their complaints very well). But it just goes to show you that it has become way too common for people just to bitch about things without ever doing it in a constructive way.

Seriously, it is ok to just ENJOY things sometimes without having to find ways to destroy it.[/QUOTE]

The reviews beg to differ on the who less RPG-y RPG was. Mass Effect 2 was praised for it, Final Fantasy XIII got ripped a new one for it in a lot of cases.

Does anyone know when I can buy Shroud items? I feel that some missions will require me to have a Pre-emptive Strike in order to get a 5-star rank on them. Speaking of missions, is there anywhere in the menu that tells me what I've gotten on each mission? Having to go back and find which ones I have to do would be really annoying.

[quote name='KingBroly']The reviews beg to differ on the who less RPG-y RPG was. Mass Effect 2 was praised for it, Final Fantasy XIII got ripped a new one for it in a lot of cases.

Does anyone know when I can buy Shroud items? I feel that some missions will require me to have a Pre-emptive Strike in order to get a 5-star rank on them. Speaking of missions, is there anywhere in the menu that tells me what I've gotten on each mission? Having to go back and find which ones I have to do would be really annoying.[/QUOTE]

You don't unlock the store that sells shrouds until chapter 12. And for missions, if you go to your map from the menu screen you can hit square to see what missions you've completed and read up on which one you're on.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Really? I find that reviews tend to favor the big guys more than rip them. For instance I still don't see the appeal to God of War, I mean they are good games but there is much better in the genre and I really don't think God of War is deserving of the phenomenal scores it gets.[/QUOTE]

True but Final Fantasy has that embarrassingly large number at the end of its title. Even though everyone knows that the games aren't related, all they do is compare them to each other. Every reviewer did this as if they were trying to prove a point.

And GoW III? Yeah, I have no idea how it's getting those types of scores.

Like I said, gaming journalism is a circus.

[quote name='panzerfaust']You don't unlock the store that sells shrouds until chapter 12. And for missions, if you go to your map from the menu screen you can hit square to see what missions you've completed and read up on which one you're on.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I will make good use of it when I go back and do those.

I took a peek at roles for characters I haven't started yet, and I have to ask what the point is? Why would I level up roles for characters when they cost the same amount of CP? That's the most idiotic idea, ever.

[quote name='KingBroly']I took a peek at roles for characters I haven't started yet, and I have to ask what the point is? Why would I level up roles for characters when they cost the same amount of CP? That's the most idiotic idea, ever.[/QUOTE]

You mean the level 0 ones you get later? While they aren't immediately needed, but they let the player go with a party of their choosing post-game and those extra stats will add up once you unlock all their tiers. Every little bit probably helps on a couple enemies. It's also square-enix's way of enforcing character roles.

[quote name='panzerfaust']True but Final Fantasy has that embarrassingly large number at the end of its title. Even though everyone knows that the games aren't related, all they do is compare them to each other. Every reviewer did this as if they were trying to prove a point.

And GoW III? Yeah, I have no idea how it's getting those types of scores.

Like I said, gaming journalism is a circus.[/QUOTE]

True, I'll give you that. It just seems like this is the first final fantasy to even get these kind of scores. Even XII which I thought was a giant disappointment got rave reviews.

That being said what I've played so far of XIII I'm enjoying. Some people are judged it a little harshly but the linearity does leave a bad taste in your mouth. I'm not decided on the battle system so much yet but I heard it unlocks more and more as you go and I'm not that far in yet, I think the system will grow on me.

I'm glad I bought it, it just seems like their was a lot more potential than payoff. It's always a shame to see a game that could be great if they just tweaked some things.

I know what they're there for, but I think putting a high barrier of entry on those extra roles for characters is a bit disheartening
I want this game's Platinum

Another question that has come to mind. What is the max level for weapons/accessories?

[quote name='KingBroly']Another question that has come to mind. What is the max level for weapons/accessories?[/QUOTE]

Each one varies on accessories. As for weapons it's something like:

Tier 1 - Level 26
Tier 2 - Level 61 (But starts at 18 or something)
Tier 3 - Level 100 (Stars at ???)

On a side note, got my first Trapezohedron.

[quote name='KingBroly']The reviews beg to differ on the who less RPG-y RPG was. Mass Effect 2 was praised for it, Final Fantasy XIII got ripped a new one for it in a lot of cases.
[/QUOTE]

Oh when I was talking about ME2 being ripped into I didn't mean reviews perse but moreso the fan base in particular, but your point still stands yes.

[/QUOTE]

:applause: I want to tip my hat at you, for beating it already. It seems like I have been playing damn near non-stop (most defiantly the fastest I have went through a Final Fantasy game,) and I'm only at the end of chapter 9.

I'm also really enjoying it and I'm really enjoying the battles more than I thought I would. It is really intense to have some difficult longer battles now and then on regular enemies without them being cheap status effect enemies.

bread's done
Back