Final Fantasy XIII - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='KingBroly']A couple of things about the voice actors. Not really spoilers from the game, but if you want to figure it out on your own, go ahead. These are merely guesses, too. If they're not right, they sound an awful lot like them.

Snow - Cam Clarke
Lightning - "The Boss"
Serah - Laura Bailey (Kid Trunks from DBZ)

That's all I recognize.[/QUOTE]

Snow is done by the same guy who did the voice for Yuri in Tales of Vesperia, his last name is Baker....not sure of his first name though

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Did yours come from DE? Mine was just in a small box without padding (put seemed to be wrapped tightly). When it comes from VA, it comes in a bubble mailer. Some Amazon places it comes in a large with air cushions.

Anyway, played for another 30 minutes before bed time. I actually got a game over for doing something stupid in battle, but oh well. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yup DE.

I have to say that one scene at the begining with Snow and Sarah (lightning's sister)
where Snow proposes to her during the fireworks looked amazing, brought me closer to the characters

I just had to pause the game and take a slight break because I was laughing so hard at a horrible voiceover part for Vanille just after
Snow grabs the Shiva Eidolon.
Vanille is sitting down apparently exhausted, yet it sounds like while off-camera she is apparently moaning sexually. Obviously not what was meant, but that's so close to what it sounded like I couldn't help but laugh.

I posted on the previous page but I don't want to bump the whole thing. Basically, is this game really unnecessarily difficult like some people are saying? And how enjoyable would the battle system be for someone who hasn't really gotten into a J-RPG since FF IX?

For some reason I'm really, really eager to pick this up but I'm having some reservations.

UPS came FINALLY at like 4:00 this afternoon. I've been dying to play it all day and after getting it I put like 3 hours into it. LOVING IT!!

[quote name='Fjordson']I posted on the previous page but I don't want to bump the whole thing. Basically, is this game really unnecessarily difficult like some people are saying? And how enjoyable would the battle system be for someone who hasn't really gotten into a J-RPG since FF IX?

For some reason I'm really, really eager to pick this up but I'm having some reservations.[/QUOTE]

The game seems to be hit or miss with people. I've died a few times but that's because I'm a bit lazy on healing since I try to combo the hell out of everything. Mainly 'died' since when the party leader dies, it's game over much like Persona 3. I don't think it's that difficult, but it may pose some challenge for the uninitiated.

As for the battle system itself, it's very action oriented. It uses an ATB system where you can set the speed to slow if you're not quick enough at reacting. Inside battle though it's mostly just getting your characters into the right class one after another to pull off combos so you can stagger the enemy for a massive damage boost. While you don't control the other characters directly, I'm somewhat surprised by how well the characters react to what you hope for when you switch their class.

Here's a quick example of what I mean:

Ravager class helps boost the combo bar on an enemies up quicker. However if you don't chain quick enough, that bar drops very quickly without a Commando class in the fray to help slow it down from depleting too quickly. So it's often good to have a Ravager and Commando class together and attack one round with that and switch to an all Ravager party. This helps by keeping the combo bar slow enough while boosting it fairly quickly. Then you'd switch back to Commando to keep the bar going if it's not near full or just do one more full round to max out the bar. Then you just put everyone in their best damage dealing class (Commando for physical and Ravager for magic). Occasionally switch out classes for healing (Medic), buffing (Synergist), or debuffing (Sentinel I think it was?) which are essential in longer fights.

All in all, not a bad system. Like it more than I thought I would, but I still think I'd prefer a traditional turn based system. The only thing I really hate about it is when someone in your party gets low on health the screen will flash non-stop to indicate that someone is about to die.

Oh and if you die, you can "retry" where it restarts you right before the fight. In cutscene battles, you can just skip past the cutscene and go straight back to the battle.

AND WTF @ Flanitors... Janitor Flans... really? REALLY? They even wear safety helmets and use the skill "Rescue" which makes their hat lights go off and give off siren sounds.

What the fuck is up with this Square Enix members registration card? They couldn't have just included a code to enter in PSN to unlock a theme and randomly enter myself into the FF XIV beta? Weak.

Yeah, that system took me about...30 minutes to sign up, migrate my new SEM account to another SEM account (I don't get it either), input the code and do the registration part. Combine that with their horrible server(s?) and you have a potion for rage.

I just finished
Chapter 3, and I'm around 4 hours, 30 minutes into the game
. 1080p native cutscenes are yummy. I have no idea what's going on in the story, I hate Vanille, I love Sahz, Snow can suck it. I'd say more about Hope but I've barely had a chance to use him. I definitely like the combat system so far, but I'm getting a feeling that at any point I'll experience an 'oh god, I don't know what I'm doing' moment. I got one Game Over on the
first Eidolon fight. They really don't explain how that type of fight works at all.

Overall, I'm enjoying it. The music is awesome, except for the battle theme we've heard for the past 4 years because...well, we've heard it for 4 years. You get tired of the same song after 4 years.

I'm just starting this now. I'm not reading anything here or anywhere else - just want to take this one in "pure". I've never played a console FF game - only caught up on the older ones on the DS (III and IV). And no, I'm not a youngster for those who don't know. I just never played console games in my 20's and early 30's and thus missed most of the FF games. I bought FF XII upon release (preordered that GS "limited" hah edition) but just never found time to play it.

I'll want to platinum this one though, so I guess I'll probably need a second playthrough if there are missable trophies. Hopefully there aren't though - I hate games with missable achievements/trophies. I don't mind grinding them out at the end, but I hate the "you have to put this rock in this location on the second Tuesday of the month or you don't trigger a quest" type ones :roll:.

really liking the game so far (13 hrs. in) Think I'm gonna screw myself in the long run with the weapon customization. Maybe I'll cheat and give a peek into the guide tomorrow. Cutscenes are beautiful and the difference in graphics from gameplay is very minimal.....props to squenix!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='KingBroly']Yeah, that system took me about...30 minutes to sign up, migrate my new SEM account to another SEM account (I don't get it either), input the code and do the registration part. Combine that with their horrible server(s?) and you have a potion for rage.

I just finished
Chapter 3, and I'm around 4 hours, 30 minutes into the game
. 1080p native cutscenes are yummy. I have no idea what's going on in the story, I hate Vanille, I love Sahz, Snow can suck it. I'd say more about Hope but I've barely had a chance to use him. I definitely like the combat system so far, but I'm getting a feeling that at any point I'll experience an 'oh god, I don't know what I'm doing' moment. I got one Game Over on the
first Eidolon fight. They really don't explain how that type of fight works at all.

Overall, I'm enjoying it. The music is awesome, except for the battle theme we've heard for the past 4 years because...well, we've heard it for 4 years. You get tired of the same song after 4 years.[/QUOTE]

Oh, how can you hate Vanille?
At the first stage when I took lead of her
, I was in hysterics at the way she ran. Then I toyed with it, moving the stick from left to right very fast and watched her dance. Hilarity ensued.
But I think her voice acting is really wierd at some points. Throws me off sometimes.

I tried to see if I could do the dance with Lightning...Nope, she's not much of a dancer.
Just a cold hard bitch with a scared little girl deep inside.

I think I'm close to 6 hours in and honestly, I'm starting to dig the combat system. Its actually unique imo,
but the stagger effect can be a bit nerve racking, because sometimes it has to be timed just right.

Just found out though why I collected all that junk that seemed useless in the beginning.
Weapon and accessory upgrade!
I really liked that aspect.

Started playing this tonight and I'm surprised at how much I am enjoying it. I am engaged in the story, the combat is very satisfying so far, and the game is absolutely beautiful.

And I don't really see the problem with the linearity? It doesn't seem at all different than the dungeons in other FF games with one path through and branches for chests. Running around towns was just faux-freedom and reading one-liners from townsman in the older games anyway.

I just got
Odin
. Am I the only who doesn't like how fights like that are setup?
The idea of fighting an Eidolon with a death timer. The time is really strict, too. I finished Odin off with 62 ticks remaining. Sheesh.

I'm 7 1/2 hours in, and I'm on Chapter 4. Chapter 3 and 4 have both been REALLY long for some reason.

I think of everyone I know I am the only one that like Vanille and Hope. Great game taking the game in stride really want to savor this one as it brings back memories of the older ones. Also the battle system is quite possibly the best they have done IMO.

[quote name='KingBroly']I just got
Odin
. Am I the only who doesn't like how fights like that are setup?
The idea of fighting an Eidolon with a death timer. The time is really strict, too. I finished Odin off with 62 ticks remaining. Sheesh.
[/QUOTE]

I don't care for the way those fights are set up either.

PS3 version will always be in 1080p if you have it set to that, and the PS3 version has native 1080p FMV's.

Is anyone surprised at how many hours they've sunk into the game already? I thought I put in 5 or so, but it's actually closer to 8, and I'm not done with Chapter 4 yet.

Vanille just has an awkward voice actor that doesn't really seem to fit her character very well. Everyone else seems to be cast quite well, but Vanille just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I kind of wish the combat was non-existent or at least provided some tangible benefit for the first 2 chapters. Not being allowed to level up and simply selecting "auto-battle" gets kind of monotonous after the first 30 minutes. I was so happy once things decided to pick up in chapter 3.

My first impressions copied over from the deals forum:

Got the game at noon today, played it for a few hours after getting back from an appointment. I am loving it! On a PS3 with a hi def 42 inch TV and HDMI cable it is the most amazing visual experience I have ever had. Seriously this game looks amazing, my jaw was literally on the ground. The first few hours are pretty much tutorial but there is alot of action and it is very intense, the hours flew by very quickly. Also I was happy to find that even though the path is linear there are hidden goodies everywhere, if you aren't very careful alot of them would be very easy to miss. This thrills the collector in me.

Also I have been reading all the datalog entries which have really been fleshing out the story and making it interesting. The datalog opens up small readable sections of the story at a time. The nice thing about this is reading them is totally optional. I usually don't read in game extra text (like the books in Oblivion, or the quest background stories in Diablo type games) But these entries have me hooked on the story. I always make sure to read it once I get the message that I have a new one. It probably helps that they are not wordy but rather short and to the point but help you understand more of whats going on in the story. This allows the CG to focus on visuals and not dialogue, which in turn leads to the most seamless CG/Gameplay experience ever offered.

Does anyone else want to throw that frickin Hope kid off a bridge?
A big step down from the lack of emo-ness in FFXII...........

to add insult this idiot joins your party which means he'll be around for the rest of your game... unbelievable...

[quote name='KingBroly']PS3 version will always be in 1080p if you have it set to that, and the PS3 version has native 1080p FMV's.

Is anyone surprised at how many hours they've sunk into the game already? I thought I put in 5 or so, but it's actually closer to 8, and I'm not done with Chapter 4 yet.[/QUOTE]

upscaling 1080p and actual 1080p aren't the same thing ;) Game does not run truly at 1080p.

[quote name='Zoglog']Does anyone else want to throw that frickin Hope kid off a bridge?
A big step down from the lack of emo-ness in FFXII...........

to add insult this idiot joins your party which means he'll be around for the rest of your game... unbelievable...[/QUOTE]

He'll stop being such an annoying emo brat and turn into an annoying brat, don't worry. If anything, just think of him as Tidus Jr.

This is one of those times I wish more games were like Heavy Rain. Where you can let a character die or not if you wish. I keep hoping some huge rock or something falls on this annoying girl. She's the Paris Hilton of videogames.

Why does that one chick kinda talk like a baby ?? seriously and she is ALWAYS moaning and groaning lol .
So far I am thoroughly enjoying the game , I like the potion system where you heal your whole team not just one character . But the amount of battles you have in a 30 minute period is CRAZY ( atleast 100 or so)
I have absolutely no idea why that one British website gave the game a 5/10 That is just ridiculous .

P.S. Lightning is HOT as hell :D

[quote name='Draekon']He'll stop being such an annoying emo brat and turn into an annoying brat, don't worry. If anything, just think of him as Tidus Jr.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought, too. He even LOOKS like Tidus..

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']

P.S. Lightning is HOT as hell :D[/QUOTE]

Lightning would be a 10 if her legs weren't so damn skinny

This battle system is so goddamn addicting, so fast! So far so good, although I had to replay Vile Peaks because I forgot to Libra the Target Beacons Uhlan throws out to complete my datalog entry.

The
Odin
battle was kinda brutal, fucking interrupting all my Cures zzz. Thank god for triangle.

Here's what I've figured out Libraing enemies:

Once if you fight 3 of a single enemy type, twice if you fight 2 or less of a single enemy type

Pressing R1 will allow you to see if you've gotten all the info for any enemy at any time. Use what's on the left side of the screen as your guide. I think I'm up to 35 enemies having been completely identified so far.

Speaking of the mom. So far, I think she's the best designed character in the game. I can't explain why I think that, either.

[quote name='KingBroly']
Speaking of the mom. So far, I think she's the best designed character in the game. I can't explain why I think that, either.[/QUOTE]

She looks too normal to be in a Final Fantasy game, she even has a wedding ring.

You'll be able to go back and get it.

Hey, has anyone else noticed there's no Rumble in this game? I'm up to Chapter 6 and there hasn't been any rumble at all.

Ah that's good to hear, my friend that played through the JPN release did mention something about a "waypoint room" or something for travel later.

I think the only areas you cannot go back to are the
Flashback areas
, but don't quote me on it.

Just finished Chapter 5, and I'm about 11 and half hours into it.

Man, this game is a little too tough after a certain point if you don't upgrade any items and run from battles here and there to where you're missing out on a lot of CP.

So does it ever get to a point on the crystal chart where you actually decide waht to specialize in and then have to grind to fully complete it, or will you always pretty much be filling it up as you unlock new parts?

bread's done
Back