Game Crazy 20% used games/Acc. 20% More on games/Acc trades 1/27-2/3 w/MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno man - I didn't get a flyer in the mail about this, but I DID get a flyer in the mail today with two coupons - "10% off any Wii game or accessory" and "10% off Wii Play". I might just use that second one.

[quote name='io']I dunno man - I didn't get a flyer in the mail about this, but I DID get a flyer in the mail today with two coupons - "10% off any Wii game or accessory" and "10% off Wii Play". I might just use that second one.[/quote]
Don't worry about your local GC Employee's competency - the computer is automatically ringing up 20% more on trades and 20% off instead of the normal 10% for MVP's.

Good luck getting Wii Play. GC's stopped taking preorders on it. They lowered the price in the system to a penny so even the most uneducated employee can understand it. Your best bet is to put it on a wishlist, that way you get first dibs on the second shipment.

[quote name='Scorch']

Good luck getting Wii Play. GC's stopped taking preorders on it. They lowered the price in the system to a penny so even the most uneducated employee can understand it. Your best bet is to put it on a wishlist, that way you get first dibs on the second shipment.[/QUOTE]

Well, damn them - why send out a fucking coupon for it this weekend then??
(And the coupon is only good for 2/13 through 2/18 so it won't work for any second shipment).

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']So if I go subscribe for the MVP service I can take the 20% instantly? How much is it?[/QUOTE]

20%

MVP is $19.99.

Traded in my Splinter Cell for $36 and price match my Lost Planet trade in with gamestop to make it $36. For some reason GC gives $27 for Lost Planet before MVP.

If it's 27, they purposely do that so you'll get $30 with MVP.

It's normally $19.99 for a year, but depending on what you trade in and what you're buying, it could be less (I had a situation the other night where the guy traded in some junk and with the 20% applied to his trade and the 20% off the game he was getting, he would actually be making $5 by signing up).

Im just confused as to why Lost Planet and a few other games trade in lower than certain games like Splinter Cell which has been out for a while and continues to see copies coming in (at least at my store). Making it an even $30 isn't the reason. Or at least it doesn't seem like it would be. I price match everything I trade in anyway.

I've had a guy come in before who was gaining an extra $3 if he signed up for the MVP. He was reluctant to even do it (but he did). What a weirdo.

Gave in today and bought the MVP. Though some good deals if you can find them, like first party PS2 memory cards used for just $12 after the MVP discount.

I somehow ended up with an MVP membership for free. I brought a few games in last April or so and wasn't sure I'd trade the $200 necessary to make it worth it, so I traded the games but held off on the MVP at the time. I went in again a few weeks later and decided to sign up for it. They told me I already had. I didn't have any missing credit, so they didn't charge it for me behind my back. The only drawback was I never got the magazine subscription, but for free MVP I'm not complaining ;). It will be interesting to see what happens when it is time to renew in a few months.

I have a More card right now but have a few GCs around more..

If you guys had to choose between buying the More/Edge card from EB/GS or the MVP from GC which one would you buy...? Is it worth it to get both?

[quote name='Kirra']I have a More card right now but have a few GCs around more..

If you guys had to choose between buying the More/Edge card from EB/GS or the MVP from GC which one would you buy...? Is it worth it to get both?[/quote]You can always split the costs/card with a good friend or neighbor. Works for me. Only problem is who gets the magazine subscription shipped to them.;)

[quote name='xrickyb86x']MVP is $19.99.

Traded in my Splinter Cell for $36 and price match my Lost Planet trade in with gamestop to make it $36. For some reason GC gives $27 for Lost Planet before MVP.[/quote]

I was going to trade LP, Gears, and Marvel for Wii, but the LP price makes me hesitant. On the other hand, Splinter Cell for $36? They were just selling it for $30. Hmmm.

[quote name='anderton']I was going to trade LP, Gears, and Marvel for Wii, but the LP price makes me hesitant. On the other hand, Splinter Cell for $36? They were just selling it for $30. Hmmm.[/quote]

Yeah seriously, I was at work one day and saw Splinter Cell for 29.99 used and I thought to myself "I'll pick it up now before they raise the price on it" So with my emp. discount I got it for like 23.99 or something. The next day it went up in price and then I thought "Well I'll come up a lot if trade it in during the 20% bump." so I did.

[quote name='io']I somehow ended up with an MVP membership for free. I brought a few games in last April or so and wasn't sure I'd trade the $200 necessary to make it worth it, so I traded the games but held off on the MVP at the time. I went in again a few weeks later and decided to sign up for it. They told me I already had. I didn't have any missing credit, so they didn't charge it for me behind my back. The only drawback was I never got the magazine subscription, but for free MVP I'm not complaining ;). It will be interesting to see what happens when it is time to renew in a few months.[/quote]

chances are you have the same phone number of someone who already has it somewhere in the country. They probably didn't put in an area code.

I guess this should be posted in Kevzik's thread (give him credit for this deal), but these deals deserve a thread of their own. These prices are after 20% MVP discount.

Gamecrazy deals:
Steel Battalion w/ Controller used is $72 w/ MVP!!!! Some Gamecrazy's are selling their new ones as used. Mine was new condition. Complete
GT4 Logitech Driving Force Pro Steering Wheel PS2 is $31 w/ MVP
pic can be found: http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0000DC64H.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40407562_.jpg Many neutral gamesites say this wheel is still better than the newly released MS 360 wheel.
Also picked up Age of Empires DS for $10 w/ MVP

And if you do get Steel Battalion, Gamestop/EB has Steel Battalion Line of Contact for $9.99. I got the whole Steel Battalion collection for $90 after tax.

This is to help Kirra & some other CAGs out there. Here is a quick run down of the MVP and Edge cards:

Gamecrazy MVP
+10% off used, 10% bonus trade
+You get to choose the magazine (choice of: OXM, PSM, EGM, ESPN, Nintendo Power, or one of 3 PC mags)
+You get a buffing card, good for 5 free disk buffs (works on CDs, DVDs, Videogames, etc)
+You lose the card, you keep the discount. All your info is stored in the computer. Therefore, around the holidays your relatives can buy games for you with your discount.
-/+ Subscription is $19.99 ($5 higher than GS/EB), but renewal is only $14.99 (same price as GS/EB)

EB/GS More/Edge card
+/- You get Game Informer magazine, but you don’t get to choose the magazine
+Subscription is $14.99 ($5 less than GC)
- You lose the card, you lose the discount. Therefore, around the holidays if your relatives want buy games for you with your discount, they have to have your card.

MVP is there membership card that gets you more credit for trade in and a percent off used items. It costs I believe 20 or 25 for the year with a subscription to a a magazine of your choice. I believe there are 7 to choose from.

In the next-gen coupon sheet from GC, which expires 1/31, there is a 20% extra trade in credit when you trade in 3 or more games coupon. Can this be combined, since the MVP isn't considered an additional offer? If it works, this would give you a 40% trade in credit boost. Can any CG employees confirm if this works?

[quote name='donaldtrunk']In the next-gen coupon sheet from GC, which expires 1/31, there is a 20% extra trade in credit when you trade in 3 or more games coupon. Can this be combined, since the MVP isn't considered an additional offer? If it works, this would give you a 40% trade in credit boost. Can any CG employees confirm if this works?[/quote]

No, it doesn't.

[quote name='katzd2007']does anyone know when this starts or have a scan[/quote]

Did you even read the title of this article?

Went to GC to check some values on some games after EB told me I'd get like $60. I gave them to the guy and he started laughing and said "you won't believe what you're getting for these" I didn't know if he meant good or bad so I just said "why's that?" and he told me I'd be getting $104 in credit for 3 games
and my jaw dropped.

I'm not usually fond of trading in, but with a deal like this it's easier than selling on ebay or even to other people.

[quote name='omegasaber']Went to GC to check some values on some games after EB told me I'd get like $60. I gave them to the guy and he started laughing and said "you won't believe what you're getting for these" I didn't know if he meant good or bad so I just said "why's that?" and he told me I'd be getting $104 in credit for 3 games
and my jaw dropped.

I'm not usually fond of trading in, but with a deal like this it's easier than selling on ebay or even to other people.[/quote]

What games were you trading in?

[quote name='omegasaber']Went to GC to check some values on some games after EB told me I'd get like $60. I gave them to the guy and he started laughing and said "you won't believe what you're getting for these" I didn't know if he meant good or bad so I just said "why's that?" and he told me I'd be getting $104 in credit for 3 games
and my jaw dropped.

I'm not usually fond of trading in, but with a deal like this it's easier than selling on ebay or even to other people.[/quote]

I have decided in favor of trading in at Game Crazy this week ASAP.

You don't need the mail flyer to get the 20% more on trade and 20% off used. If you have an MVP you get it from now till 2/3. The flyer is just a reminder, but doesn't have to be presented. You can get the extra 10 unlimited till the 3rd.

MVP card is better. Better magazine selections, 12 months instead of 10, and extra money for trades. Plus mvps get priority over all other customers which is maybe the best thing about it (looking for a rare game and you and a non-mvp member have it on a wishlist....guess who gets it when it comes in). Plus the 20% deal (as well as other bonus deals) happen multiple times throughout the year. Also the prices are cheaper and trade prices are alway more (guaranteed). For example. A newer release used 360 game is $54.99 at GS/EB (then like $50 with their discount card). At GC it's $49.99 or $44.99 w/MVP card.

Does Gamecrazy require games to be complete in order to trade them in? I'll call tomorrow to verify, just thought I'd ask you guys first.

[quote name='Swift900']Does Gamecrazy require games to be complete in order to trade them in? I'll call tomorrow to verify, just thought I'd ask you guys first.[/quote]

Depends on the manager but chances are it's not required. It baffles me that manager would not honor trades for disc only games considering they get ranked on how many trades they bring into their store. But believe me I've heard of it before.

[quote name='sith_mog']What games were you trading in?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding. omegasaber, please POST the games and prices here so someone (most likely me) can put them in the CAGwiki and people can look there to see if they have anything worth trading. I've sort of standardized the GC wiki to show prices with normal (10%) MVP, so specify if your prices are before or after MVP (or 20%). It would be easiest for me if you just gave the standard 10% extra MVP trade-in price.

There is also a GC trade-in price thread that I made a while back but since it isn't stickied (and I think one for each store should be stickied in the deal discussion forum at any rate) it gets buried quite often. It is easiest just to post prices into the "current" deal thread - which is this one.

This all reminds me that I need to hit up a few other GC (besides my normal one) as I have a number of those coupons that expire 1/31 and I might as well bring in another stack of games to trade or I'm going to miss this promo entirely.

I really need to update the GCWiki but my store has so many copies of some games.. Ricky stated above that Lost Planet was trading in at 27.. I checked today and it was 30 for the normal, 36 after MVP.

//edit: Check your PM's, io

[quote name='Swift900']Does Gamecrazy require games to be complete in order to trade them in? I'll call tomorrow to verify, just thought I'd ask you guys first.[/quote]

It doesn't matter if it's in a case. If a manager says they won't take it without a case. It's cause they are a douche bag.

[quote name='sith_mog']What games were you trading in?[/quote]
Sorry I took a bit there, I'm not positive on exact prices (he showed me the slip but couldn't give it to me) they were:
Resistance - PS3 - $38
Madden '07 - PS3 - $30
Dead Rising - 360 - $36

Newer games I know, but keep in mind I bought them using buy.com's $20 off promo a month back (on all of them so they were all $40) and I only lost like $20 on them so I was quite pleased with the credit.

Also, I got some news from my friend who has worked at that store for 4 years. He's quitting this week because of a practice they're starting to do regularly and managment is pushing it. Be careful if you take a lot of items in to trade, apparantly they want them to basically steal from people and not scan certain items when people trade in a lot. Since there's a lot of items and it's usually a decent amount of credit, people don't notice something's been skipped. Somehow this helps their numbers or something and makes management look good.

So he told me to always ask to see the receipt and make sure all the games are on there.

Also, I got some news from my friend who has worked at that store for 4 years. He's quitting this week because of a practice they're starting to do regularly and managment is pushing it. Be careful if you take a lot of items in to trade, apparantly they want them to basically steal from people and not scan certain items when people trade in a lot. Since there's a lot of items and it's usually a decent amount of credit, people don't notice something's been skipped. Somehow this helps their numbers or something and makes management look good.

None of the above is true (and to actually believe it is ludicrous) and it sounds like your friend's manager is just being a cunt. It wouldn't help a store's numbers. They wouldn't resell it because it'd just fuck up inventory. Your friend should transfer to a store that's run by a decent manager.

[quote name='omegasaber']

[/quote]

Bogus. That's just someone being a douchebag and wanting games for themselves. As a GC employee I can point out why this is NOT a GC practice. I mean, seriously think about it.

First of all, "skipping" over games and not running them through a trade means that they will not get ranked as high for their trade ins. Stores and their managers gets ranked for their trade ins now just like Gamestop or EB (which is why you always hear a GS employee asking you if you brought trade or to be sure to bring trades next time). Higher ranking means major kudos and less people breathing down your neck. Higher rankins and higher revenue also means higher end of year bonus for the manager. Trades obviously don't count as much as Pre orders Or MVPs but it still counts.

Second, it WILL fuck up your inventory. Inventory is done once a quarter and if all of a sudden you have alot of games in the negatives and they were never seen as taken in, something will be pretty fishy. You'll be questioned by the DM and if you have a reasonable excuse and get away with it then you better STOP doing it. If it happens again, GOOD DM's will fire any manager with fucked up inventory.

BS that it's a "practice". Tell him to tell the manager to stop being a fucking dickhead. Im sure he's not reselling the games in the store, he's just taking them home. That way it doesn't fuck up inventory and he walks away with a free game.

It DOES NOT make managment look good. Your friend has been there for 4 years, he should know this stuff. I've been with the company for a year and half now and I know how most of this stuff works.

[quote name='omegasaber']Sorry I took a bit there, I'm not positive on exact prices (he showed me the slip but couldn't give it to me)

Be careful if you take a lot of items in to trade, apparantly they want them to basically steal from people and not scan certain items when people trade in a lot.

So he told me to always ask to see the receipt and make sure all the games are on there.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone else find this funny? omegasaber, why did the guy not give you the trade slip? I get one every time I trade at GC. That, in itself, seems a bit fishy. I wonder if that really is the policy at this store and they aren't giving receipts out so they can carry out this scheme your friend mentions. Very odd...

Anyway, appreciate the prices. I'll be taking some in tomorrow - mine will be cheaper fare though ;).

There always seems to be one crooked thing or another going on at gamecrazy. In the year and a half that I worked there I saw multiple managers get fired for stealing, and many more get away with stealing.

Not to mention my District Manager basically making me increase his trade in values by about $30 each for a few items, and using a company expense credit card to pay off his 360. On top of that, he came in and bought his 360 at around 10pm launch night, with about 20 customers standing around the store waiting for the midnight release.

And then there was the computer glitch that allowed you to deposit credit on a game, refund it, and use it, all while the credit is never removed from your account. Basically meant you could reuse store credit again and again. Thank god the shifty CAGs and Fatwalleters never got wind of that going on.. only lasted for about a month or two, but it was rediculous.

Believe me, sketchy shit goes on at any retal work enviornment when people feel they can get away with it. I know of a manager who has stolen shit, no longer with GC, wonder why. And I know of another deposit type trick that I WONT be sharing with anyone. Never used it, and never will, but I know it works. Recently a guy was fired for throwing games in a trash can when he was closing and then taking out the trash when he closed the store up, you know where this is going. When I was an Office Depot employee, there was a kid who would open up brand new computer software and take it home. He was caught on camera and dealt with by the cops. This type of sketchy shit, whether it's the custmer being screwed or the company (like it hurts them THAT much), happens at GS, EB, GC, BB, CC, Target, etc. etc.

It boils down to the DM. If the DM really gives a shit he will look at transactions and inventory as much as possible to make sure nothing fucked up is going on.

And you should always get your reciept. Don't let them tell you, you can't get one.

[quote name='ctice44']This is to help Kirra & some other CAGs out there. Here is a quick run down of the MVP and Edge cards:

Gamecrazy MVP
+You get to choose the magazine (choice of: OXM, PSM, EGM, ESPN, Nintendo Power, or one of 3 PC mags)
+You get a buffing card, good for 5 free disk buffs (works on CDs, DVDs, Videogames, etc)
+You lose the card, you keep the discount. All your info is stored in the computer. Therefore, around the holidays your relatives can buy games for you with your discount.
-/+ Subscription is $19.99 ($5 higher than GS/EB), but renewal is only $14.99 (same price as GS/EB)

EB/GS More/Edge card
+/- You get Game Informer magazine, but you don’t get to choose the magazine
+Subscription is $14.99 ($5 less than GC)
- You lose the card, you lose the discount. Therefore, around the holidays if your relatives want buy games for you with your discount, they have to have your card.[/quote]

Thanks for compling this. I really like the flexibility of GC's membership but I don't have as many GCs as I have EB/GSes around... I'll check out how competent the people are at my local GC and then decide.

[quote name='io']Does anyone else find this funny? omegasaber, why did the guy not give you the trade slip? I get one every time I trade at GC. That, in itself, seems a bit fishy. I wonder if that really is the policy at this store and they aren't giving receipts out so they can carry out this scheme your friend mentions. Very odd...

Anyway, appreciate the prices. I'll be taking some in tomorrow - mine will be cheaper fare though ;).[/quote]

I thought it was strange, but after thinking about it, no place has ever given me a slip showing trade prices in quite awhile, not GC, EB, or GS. And I didn't know about the people doing this rip off stuff at the store before I did this, I called my friend after I did the trade and he told me to just make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

And I never meant to imply that it was store policy or anything, I know it's a single instance (although probably not the only) of corrupt management. Also I doubt he meant to say that it help their numbers just by keeping the games. I'm willing to bet that these people are either A) taking the games themselves, or B) trading them in under other people's accounts and pre-ordering games/buying MVPs which makes them look good.

And yes, the manager there is a douchebag, I was going to get a job there at one point a few years ago but didn't because of him. I actually refuse to go in there when I see his car out front.

I went out to try to use a few more of the coupons that expired after today. Got a DS Lite carrying case for $2.99 (marked $9.99, rang up $7.99, $5 off with coupon, sweet). Got 2 copies of Gungriffon Allied Strike for $7.99 total (Buy 1 Get 1 free on $18.99 and below). And got Jak X for $15.99 (any GH/PC title for $15.99). Not so great on the last one, but I felt like I needed to use the coupon :rofl:.

OK, trade-in prices. At one store I got 20% bonus as expected. At the second store the guy was a bit confused and it appears I got 25% somehow. He also had a hard time getting the credit onto my gift card. Some of these were obtained by me in person, others were given to me by a helpful CAG (if he wants to identify himself that's fine - wasn't sure if he would want me to):

(all prices before MVP)

:gba:
Drill Dozer - $9
Nightmare Before Christmas - $3
World Championship Poker - $2.25

:ds:
Feel The Magic - $5
Gunpey - $10
Metroid Prime Pinball - $3
Polarium - $6

:psp:
Puzzle Challenge - $7

:gc:
Ant Bully - $6
Gun - $6
Monster House - $7
One Piece Pirate's Carnival - $10
Over The Hedge - $7

:ps2:
Ape Escape 3 - $6
DragonBall Z Sagas - $6
Enter The Matrix - $1
One Piece Pirate's Carnival - $10

:xbox:
Destroy All Humans - $6.75
Doom 3 CE - $7
Nightmare Before Christmas - $6
Psychonauts - $6
Rainbow Six Lockdown - $4.76 (this game is all over the place, I've gotten 3 different quotes on it)

I traded in some games at the GC in Midwest City, OK on Monday, so here are the prices I got with the 20% bonus, and the what the price would be with no bonus-

World Championship Poker 2 (PSP) - $10.80 / $9.00
SSX Tricky (Game Cube) - $2.88 / $2.40
Family Feud (PS2) - $8.40 / $7.00
Rygar (PS2) - $2.70 / $2.25
Family Feud (GBA) - $9.00 / $7.50
Big Brain Academy (DS) - $8.40 / $7.00
World Championship Poker Deluxe Series (DS) - $4.74 / $3.95
Bubble Bobble Revolution (DS) - $8.10 / $6.75
Risk/Battleship/Clue (GBA) - $3.60 / $3.00

These next two games weren't actually in their system, so the guy just gave me the price for Brain Age on both of them. Definately YMMV with these two.

Brain Boost: Beta Wave (DS) - $8.40 / $7.00
Brain Boost: Gamma Wave (DS) - $8.40 / $7.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back