General Gaming Thread ∞

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ninja dog']fable 2 was shit. a lot of fluff around what amounts to a beat em up. the morality and love aspects are so artificial and poorly handled that they don't even count. Shit, the dog didn't even do anything except dig things up.[/QUOTE]
Yea, so friggen disappointing. I liked Fable 1 much better... I don't know how they got worse.

I was completely turned off once I got into the first town, did 4 gestures and 3 women and 1 dude wanted to marry me. They still haven't made a proper love simulation? Idiotic.

Two 360 games left in the backlog: Episode 2 and Kameo. Then there's VC...and the portables...and the Gamecube/OG Xbox...and XBLA....

Okay, Kameo, let's go.

I played through Kameo in like 3 sittings - the game is fun, not perfect, but worth your $10, and nothing more.

Started playing Rogue Galaxy again. No idea why.

Was able to grab Superman Doomsday, Justice League New Frontier, and Wonder Woman on blu-ray for 12.99 each at BB. Good stuff.

Nice!

Dawn of War 2 is a really awesome game - I like that the missions are short and action packed, no base building - a really fun game to play in short bursts. I'm currently at my GF's house without a 360 cause we have no AC and it's absurdly humid in milwaukee today.

I like Fable 2 - it's not awesome or groundbreaking or very memorable, but it is simple fun, and not difficult, and it rewards you frequently. Kinda like fast food - i wouldn't want every game to be like it or play it forever, but sometimes comfort food can be good. Just don't overdo it. 60 hours of Fable 2 would make me want to die, but around 15 is just right.

And Zew - Did you really spend that much time with Damnation? Everything I read said it was awful!

I got King's Bounty on PC and Dead Rising for $10 today - I dunno if I'll like either one, but HPB made it cheap.

Lol, yeah, I don't think Fable 2 is completely horrible, it's a good game to quickly play and beat, but it's nothing amazingly fun, like Molyneux hyped it up to be.

[quote name='jer7583'] And Zew - Did you really spend that much time with Damnation? Everything I read said it was awful![/QUOTE]

I played through it coop with zoo. He told me it was Gears of War with cowboys. That is completely untrue. It's probably the worst game I've ever played. It was the kind of thing where we had to keep going to see how bad it was going to get. It is ridiculously bad. That being said, I still recommend people play it to see how bad it is. I don't think my words can truly describe it.

The guys at Blue Omega or whoever made the game definitely deserved the layoff they got. It's like none of them ever made a game before.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Was able to grab Superman Doomsday, Justice League New Frontier, and Wonder Woman on blu-ray for 12.99 each at BB. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

Meh, $12.99 is still too much for Superman Doomsday. I wanted to like that movie but it just wasn't that good. But New Frontier was pretty cool. I might pick that up one day along with Wonder Woman.

[quote name='Trakan']I played through it coop with zoo. He told me it was Gears of War with cowboys. That is completely untrue. It's probably the worst game I've ever played. It was the kind of thing where we had to keep going to see how bad it was going to get. It is ridiculously bad. That being said, I still recommend people play it to see how bad it is. I don't think my words can truly describe it.

The guys at Blue Omega or whoever made the game definitely deserved the layoff they got. It's like none of them ever made a game before.[/QUOTE]

Heh that actually sounds like a good way to spend a weekend if it ever drops to $5, to get two copies for $10 or something, if you can trade it back for that much. I saw the piles of cheese you guys had and had to ask.

Trakan I think you must live in my backyard - I'm in new berlin right now - we have no AC and I was dying at home. Thank God my gf's house has it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Started playing Rogue Galaxy again. No idea why.

Was able to grab Superman Doomsday, Justice League New Frontier, and Wonder Woman on blu-ray for 12.99 each at BB. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

Amazon is PM'ing. I got WW for 12.99 too.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']For some reason, I started playing FFTactics again.[/QUOTE]
The reason being that it's fucking awesome. Shame they never made any Final Fantasy games after that one; seemed like they really had something great going on there.

Batman Arkham Asylum actually runs real well on my lappy, I think I might get the PC version if it's true that it has Live Achievements. Just use my HDMI cable and play with a 360 controller, but with much better visuals and $10 cheaper..

[quote name='Azumangaman']I forgot how fun Gears Of War 2 is. I'm at ACT 5, Chapter 3.
Would anybody want to do an insane run at some point?[/QUOTE]
*Bah ghost page!!!*

I could give it a shot if you'd like. I'm not the best, but I still need the Insane achievement. Let me know!

Oh crap, I need gold. Anyone know any cheap places to get a gold membership?

I started P4 yesterday and I played it all day today.

I got it at release and didn't particularly care for it. Guess I just didn't give it enough time back then.

so is the turtles in time remake worth playing at all?
i might pick it up soley because id be getting it for free with the rebate since im probably going to buy trials hd and shadow complex

I saw that on Co-Op and it makes me hope that it'll come to PSP or DS as a downloadable game, though it would probably work on PSP the best since it uses MP3.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I saw that on Co-Op and it makes me hope that it'll come to PSP or DS as a downloadable game, though it would probably work on PSP the best since it uses MP3.[/QUOTE]

I actually could see it more on DS due to the great touch controls... personally I can't see it on any other platform than the iPhone/iTouch.

Is it just me or do all the guys on Co-Op eat super unhealthy? Then again, I just started drinking soy milk so... :lol:

I still think out of all digital distribution platforms, apple has the strongest... but I say that largely due to crazy pricing structure.

[quote name='Azumangaman']I forgot how fun Gears Of War 2 is. I'm at ACT 5, Chapter 3.
Would anybody want to do an insane run at some point?[/QUOTE]

Depending on when, i would be down. I need the co-op achievements.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I actually could see it more on DS due to the great touch controls... personally I can't see it on any other platform than the iPhone/iTouch.

Is it just me or do all the guys on Co-Op eat super unhealthy? Then again, I just started drinking soy milk so... :lol:

I still think out of all digital distribution platforms, apple has the strongest... but I say that largely due to crazy pricing structure.[/QUOTE]
It could be good on the DS, but the gap between screens could interfere for a game that seemed like it made good use of the entire screen. The PSP version could probably be played vertically so you just used the d-pad or analog nub to move around and have a clear view of the entire screen.

Played some more Dead Space today. I'm through Chapter 3 right now. It's pretty good so far, but it's taking me a LONG time to go through these levels. I'm trying to find everything, but I already know I missed something on Chapter 1 because I didn't have a Power Node (I used it for the Plasma Cutter). But I don't know if it's because it's supposed to be this slow early on or I'm just taking my time. I've played for around 2 and half hours already, but I feel I'm far behind.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It could be good on the DS, but the gap between screens could interfere for a game that seemed like it made good use of the entire screen. The PSP version could probably be played vertically so you just used the d-pad or analog nub to move around and have a clear view of the entire screen.[/QUOTE]

good point... the controls have to be super responsive though since you gotta be fast as balls and precise at some points.

Ugh, I'm so pissed I purchased: Braid, Everyday Shooter, The Path, Blueberry garden and World of Goo for 20 bucks on Steam. I dunno what I was thinking... I already beat Braid, the Path is retarded, Everyday Shooter is pointless without a gamepad, Blueberry garden is one level and World of Goo is not my type of game.

Should have just bought Peggle and Peggle Nights for 15 bucks... any way of exchanging? =/

[quote name='The Crotch']The reason being that it's fucking awesome. Shame they never made any Final Fantasy games after that one; seemed like they really had something great going on there.[/QUOTE]That's probably the reason. ;)

I decided to try and get the Samurai and Ninja jobs early, but I think I did it too early, so now I have no access to the weapons for those classes. Still, it helps being over-leveled (in comparison to the NPCs). The first encounter with Mustadio was the easiest it's ever been for me.

[quote name='whoknows']I started P4 yesterday and I played it all day today.

I got it at release and didn't particularly care for it. Guess I just didn't give it enough time back then.[/QUOTE]That's something else that I still need to complete.

I really wanna play FF Tactics one day. I tried starting it twice, and both times I couldn't get into it.

I had a lot of trouble on like the 2nd or 3rd battle, but then again I didn't really know the game mechanics.

so u guys should get trials hd :D
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/tr...-review?page=1
But the fact is Trials HD does have all the rest. It may cost a hearty 1200 Microsoft Points (£10.20 / 14.40), but even playing it from start to end will take hours, and it's a game built for endless replay and community expansion beyond that. It may not have some of the PC features, like ghosts and multiple camera angles, but neither change intrudes on the experience. It may be on a gamepad, which is slightly less exact than the three-fingers-on-the-directional-buttons of the PC version, but Trials pros will be able to emulate the majority of their feats within a few hours of practice. And it seems to me those are the only slight issues. Otherwise it's wonderfully designed, justifies the price, and may end up being the best thing on Xbox Live Arcade all year. If you're in any doubt, there's even a trial version. Thud.

I'll be getting Trials, I'm committed to buying all the Summer of Arcade games now to get my 800 point rebate, which is fine since they dropped the price on Turtles, I really wanted to get MvC2 and Splosion Man is ace.

Is splosion man better than the demo leads me to believe? I played through 1-3 or so and immediately deleted the demo... for some reason, I want to like it, but the demo didn't sell me and I'm hesitant to drop 800 points on it when I didn't like the demo at all (from what I played).

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Is splosion man better than the demo leads me to believe? I played through 1-3 or so and immediately deleted the demo... for some reason, I want to like it, but the demo didn't sell me and I'm hesitant to drop 800 points on it when I didn't like the demo at all (from what I played).[/QUOTE]

What didn't you like about it?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Is splosion man better than the demo leads me to believe? I played through 1-3 or so and immediately deleted the demo... for some reason, I want to like it, but the demo didn't sell me and I'm hesitant to drop 800 points on it when I didn't like the demo at all (from what I played).[/QUOTE]If those first three levels didn't draw you in, you won't like it at all.

Every level just gets progressively harder and harder. Hard to see what you're doing, even on a large TV.
Just pure timing by the end of it.

I liked it though, and beat it. The demo sold me personally.
Trying to get the last of the cakes now in each level. Worlds 1 and 3 complete.

Online co-op is laggy half the time, and the game heavily relies on timing with your friends.
Only beaten the first world in co-op so far.

[quote name='Trakan']What didn't you like about it?[/QUOTE]

It didn't seem like there was a lot of gameplay. Press button, 'splode the scientists. Run to the right. 'Splode off a wall, to another wall and into the next area. 'Splode some more scientists. Run to the right.

The only partially interesting thing was when I found the piece of cake somewhere, but even then... not so much.

I guess I'm wondering if the levels get more involved and interesting vs. the basic crap they have you do in the beginning?

He reminded me of Earthworm Jim as a character, just his style and playfulness.

My only gripes with the game are the ridiculous loading times, and bland enviroments.
Level design is good and challenging.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']It didn't seem like there was a lot of gameplay. Press button, 'splode the scientists. Run to the right. 'Splode off a wall, to another wall and into the next area. 'Splode some more scientists. Run to the right.

The only partially interesting thing was when I found the piece of cake somewhere, but even then... not so much.

I guess I'm wondering if the levels get more involved and interesting vs. the basic crap they have you do in the beginning?[/QUOTE]
It gets a LOT better. I did not like the demo levels as well. It gets really intense and fun - although I was playing it at work, so that may have contributed to it.

[quote name='dallow']If those first three levels didn't draw you in, you won't like it at all.

Every level just gets progressively harder and harder. Hard to see what you're doing, even on a large TV.
Just pure timing by the end of it.
[/QUOTE]
Haha, I played on a 4:3 10" TV... the last boss was almost impossible. There should be an award beating it on such a crappy TV.

[quote name='ninja dog']but earthworm jim actually had a design. 'Splosion Man is like "haha, he's orange, has a big smile, and laughs funnily...gamers will love it!"[/QUOTE]
Oh I know, he's nowhere near as charming.

I just meant he reminded me of Jim in the say he has little 'quips' and lots of animation, including multiple idle animations and poses.
Just haven't seen many main characters with little touches like that.

I'm sure if I were younger like I was during the 8 and 16 bit days, he'd make me laugh a little more.
Fighting the last boss gave me a few WTF laughs though, wish more games didn't take themselves so seriously these days.

I could never get into Lunar... I bought the super expensive Lunar box set on PSX, tried it, it felt slow and brain-numbing... promptly returned it or sold it... didn't play it for sure. :D

Dallow, MUA/F2 arrived. Thanks. Send me that paypal info again and I'll get you the monies.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dallow']How much was Lunar on PSX? I still remember going with my mom to Best Buy to get it.[/QUOTE]

$70 or so... Maybe $80... with the soundtrack and stuff and some sort of cloth map maybe?

Edit: Wikipedia claims $60... but that seems low... maybe with tax it was about $70... and if games were running $49.99 back then, that could be the reason for the discrepancy in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back