GOG Deals Thread

I have Jade Empire on Steam and I know it have issues. The GOG version is the same or is a "patched" one? I know GOG patched Beyond good & evil, but don't know about JE

Just to bring it to the front...

This is the list of games. Included is a section of the games that have had their last appearance.

Expeditions: Conquistador $4.99
Heroes of Might & Magic 3: Complete Ed $2.49
Psychonauts $2.49
Spellforce Platinum $2.49
Sword of the Stars: The Pit $2.09
Thief Gold $1.99
Thief 2: Metal Age $1.99

(DONE) Alpha Centauri $1.49
(DONE) Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic $2.49
(DONE) Anodyne $2.49
(DONE) Anvil of Dawn $1.49
(DONE) Aquanox $1.49
(DONE) Aquanox 2: Revelation $1.49
(DONE) Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut $4.99
(DONE) Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga $1.99
(DONE) Baldur's Gate 2 Complete $1.99
(DONE) Beyond Good and Evil $2.49
(DONE) Blackwell Bundle $2.99
(DONE) Blood (One Unit Whole Blood) $1.49
(DONE) Book of Unwritten Tales $4.99

(DONE) Brutal Legend $3.74
(DONE) Chaos Engine $3.29
(DONE) Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena $2.99

(DONE) Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller $10.09
(DONE) Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav $3.99
(DONE) Deus Ex GOTY $1.99
(DONE) Defender's Quest $2.99
(DONE) Divinity: Dragon Commander Imperial Ed. $22.49
(DONE) Don't Starve $4.99

(DONE) Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Ed $1.49
(DONE) Eador. Masters of the Broken World $5.99
(DONE) Evoland $2.49
(DONE) FEZ $2.99
(DONE) Geneforge 1-5 $2.99
(DONE) Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams $2.99
(DONE) Heroes of Might & Magic 5 bundle $4.99
(DONE) Hotline Miami $2.49
(DONE) I have No Mouth And I Must Scream $1.93
(DONE) Icewind Dale Complete $1.99
(DONE) Inquisitor $3.74
(DONE) Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within $11.99

(DONE) Jade Empire: Special Ed $2.99

(DONE) King of Dragon Pass $1.49
(DONE) King's Bounty: Crossworlds GOTY $4.99
(DONE) La Mulana $2.99

(DONE) Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver $1.49
(DONE) Leisure Suit Larry $2.49
(DONE) Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded $7.99
(DONE) Lords of Midnight $1.93
(DONE) Lucius $3.99
(DONE) Magrunner: Dark Pulse $9.99
(DONE) Master of Magic $1.19
(DONE) Master of Orion 1+2 $1.49
(DONE) Megabyte Punch $4.99
(DONE) Miasmata $2.99
(DONE) Might & Magic 6-pack: Limited Ed. $2.49
(DONE) Myst: Masterpiece Ed $1.49
(DONE) Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Ed. $1.99
(DONE) Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete $3.99
(DONE) Nexus: The Jupiter Incident $1.99
(DONE) Omerta: City of Gangsters + all DLC $7.99
(DONE) Planescape: Torment $1.99
(DONE) Populous: The Beginning $1.49
(DONE) Postal 2 Complete $2.49
(DONE) Primordia $2.49
(DONE) Puddle $1.99
(DONE) Rayman Origins $4.99
(DONE) The Real Texas $2.99
(DONE) Resonance $2.49
(DONE) Reus $2.49
(DONE) Retro City Rampage $3.74
(DONE) Rogue Legacy $4.99
(DONE) Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum $5.99
(DONE) Rise of the Triad $7.49
(DONE) Sacred Gold $1.99
(DONE) Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator $1.49
(DONE) Shadow Man $2.39
(DONE) Shelter $3.99
(DONE) Sniper Elite: Berlin 1945 $1.99
(DONE) Space Colony HD $2.49
(DONE) Startopia $1.49
(DONE) Strike Suit Zero $4.99
(DONE) Syberia $1.99
(DONE) System Shock 2 $1.99
(DONE) Tales of Monkey Island $5.24
(DONE) Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon $2.49
(DONE) Thief 3: Deadly Shadows $1.99
(DONE) Theme Hospital $1.49
(DONE) Thunderscape $2.39
(DONE) Tomb Raider 1+2+3 $2.49
(DONE) Torchlight $2.99
(DONE) Total Annihilation: Commander Pack $1.49
(DONE) Total Annihilation: Kingdoms $1.49
(DONE) Tropico 3 Gold Ed. $2.99
(DONE) Two Worlds 2: Epic Ed. $3.99
(DONE) Ultima 7 The Complete Ed. $1.49
(DONE) Ultima Underworld 1+2 $1.49
(DONE) Wargame: European Escalation $6.69
(DONE) Wing Commander 4 $1.49
(DONE) Wing Commander: Privateer $1.49

(DONE) The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings $5.99 

Note: The most recent game added to the "Done" list is Jade Empire: Special Edition. Anyone reposting this list should start with the games added after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked the forum. I see a few question about issues with the game running. Afraid I can't get in depth looking into the right now :(

So, maybe same problems with this version

Yeah, but I guess if I need to take my chances, it might as well be on e DRM free version. :)
DRM free is never bad. If you run into compatibility issues you can't solve, just run it inside a VM with WinXP x32. I already run several old games like that: Star Trek: Dominion Wars, the old Exile series by Spiderweb Software, Malfadore's Starfury, Star Wars: Rebellion, Liero, Apogee's Raptor and Blake Stone...

Yeah, I already have 5 Larry games I have to try first.

By the time I get around to that this ought to be a lot cheaper.

5? I think it was 5. I need to go check.
The Greatest Hits and Misses pack has Leisure Suit Larry 1-6. So yeah, five games.

... funny how that works, eh? ;)

With Tomb Raider going up at 5:30 in the morning, I didn't stand a chance. It's amazing how I've been paying attention almost the entire duration of the sale and managed to miss it three times. Too bad I didn't realize sooner that I could've been checking it out through my phone... though sneaking off to an obscure corner at work to take a "quick look" only to have to watch that tally count down from the top is aggravating as hell.

Yeah, but I guess if I need to take my chances, it might as well be on e DRM free version. :)

If I didn't had it on Steam, I'll buy it from GOG

Another thing to consider is that this is the lowest price that the game has ever been on either Steam or GOG. So if you don't already own the game elsewhere, you might wanna grab it during this sale when it shows up.

Another thing to consider is that this is the lowest price that the game has ever been on either Steam or GOG. So if you don't already own the game elsewhere, you might wanna grab it during this sale when it shows up.
I didn't realize it's never been this low. I think I'll grab it then.

And also King of Dragon's Pass. Because, you know.... I need more games :)

DRM free is never bad. If you run into compatibility issues you can't solve, just run it inside a VM with WinXP x32. I already run several old games like that: Star Trek: Dominion Wars, the old Exile series by Spiderweb Software, Malfadore's Starfury, Star Wars: Rebellion, Liero, Apogee's Raptor and Blake Stone...
What's "VM"?

Experiment time. With the exception of Trusty Mutsi's post above, I haven't "liked" any post over the past 24 hours. I am now gonna go back in this thread and like all the posts that I wasn't able to like in days past because of the damn like rationing. I'm gonna count how many it takes to hit the wall.

I would guess it's 100 per day. But this is CAG, we don't guess here. We demand conclusive scientific evidence that something is so. And by God, we're gonna answer this question once & for all.

What's "VM"?
Virtual Machine. It is an operating system inside an operating system. The inner OS has no clue it is a VM, and operates like it was the only OS on the computer. Very useful for running old programs, simulating different environments (specifically for programming), and for security.

VMware Player and VirtualBox are two examples of VM programs you can get for free. Further reading: Wikipedia and Lifehacker.

Experiment time. With the exception of Trusty Mutsi's post above, I haven't "liked" any post over the past 24 hours. I am now gonna go back in this thread and like all the posts that I wasn't able to like in days past because of the damn like rationing. I'm gonna count how many it takes to hit the wall.

You're really bored, don't you?

There are now 13 options left for the next game (after Soul Reaver). So if you want one game, you have a 1 in 13 shot that it will be next (assuming this process is some approximation of random). That's better than your odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field!

Getting close here, folks.

43081172.jpg
And this would have been like #101 but CAG told me to fuck off.

So that is clear conclusive scientific proof. The daily "like" limit on CAG is 100.

EDIT: I'm surprised how long it took me. The time stamp on my last post is almost a hour before this one.

Virtual Machine. It is an operating system inside an operating system. The inner OS has no clue it is a VM, and operates like it was the only OS on the computer. Very useful for running old programs, simulating different environments (specifically for programming), and for security.
VMware Player and VirtualBox are two examples of VM programs you can get for free. Further reading: Wikipedia and Lifehacker.
Thanks!

Add this would have been like #101 but CAG told me to fuck off.

So that is clear conclusive scientific proof. The daily "like" limit on CAG is 100.

EDIT: I'm surprised how long it took me. The time stamp on my last post is almost a hour before this one.
I would "like" your research....but then I'd only have 99 left.

There are now 13 options left for the next game (after Soul Reaver). So if you want one game, you have a 1 in 13 shot that it will be next (assuming this process is some approximation of random). That's better than your odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field!

Getting close here, folks.
Never tell me the odds!

EG is similar to Dungeon Keeper. The game is designed with a cold-war era spy theme mixed with a healthy dose of humor, and that humor is (imho) what makes the game great. Similar to the unique feeling you get from the DK games. Well, not similar as in the same, but similar as in both DK and EG have a unique charm to them.

The mechanics in EG are also similar- build an underground base, get evil minions, and take over the world. While of course beating off the agents of good (including super agents modeled after action heros like Jet Lee and James Bond). As you can tell, I enjoy the game.
Also retail-backlogged.

Well, I was able to get Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and Neverwinter Nights 2.

1. Should I try and get the first Neverwinter, for the story?

2. What order should I play these in? I assume Neverwinter would be last.

Thanks for any feedback! :)
You should play NWN1 because it's great but you're not missing much story-wise if you skip to 2.

BG 1 and 2 need to be played in order and IWD 1 and 2 should be played in order but neither series has any direct connections other than sharing a common setting (Faerun) and engine (Infinity). Torment isn't connected to any of these--it is an Infinity Engine game, IIRC, but it's set in AD&D's odd pre-steampunk Planescape setting and is also one of the best CRPGs of all time. So you should play it first.

Add this would have been like #101 but CAG told me to fuck off.

I think you should repeat the test tomorrow, just to be sure

Add the high-res/widescreen mod and all the other fixes if you're not scared.
Actually I was just in this one for the soundtrack (and kinda for the ebook, although I read the official novel several years ago). I played P:T when it came out 14-odd years ago back when I was still in graduate school and a friend bought it for my birthday. I played first as a fighter and when I figured out I had gotten the bad ending because
if your intelligence and wisdom scores are too low you miss A LOT of dialogue options (especially with yourself)
I went back and played again as a mage.

So as a post-mortem, I have to say I have serious mixed feelings about this sale. The way GOG normally operates, we never get sales of 80-85% on any of their titles and we rarely see 75% sales (probably just once a year, although they may be hitting this with the one-day sales now--I tend to miss a lot of those). For this reason alone I think this sale was enormously popular, even with CAGs. Of course there's the subset of us that are DRM-free fanatics who wouldn't buy any of these games on Steam even as many of them are starting to trickle onto that store. And then there are the people who don't pay attention to bundles who grabbed some of these sale titles at patently-ridiculous prices. On the whole I suspect the sale made GOG a prodigious amount of profit.

However, the giveaways were exploited to the point where non-bots didn't get any and that's something that they would hopefully address in future iterations of this kind of sale. I don't like the whole "limited quantity" idea very much as it tends to put folks in a position of not being able to jump on a good sale price if they have a life outside of watching GOG counters but the repeats do offset that to some degree. As someone suggested earlier, it would also probably help if GOG staff tweeted a short list every few hours of upcoming items. I don't do twitter-stuff myself but I'm sure one of the site regulars would repost that info.

Frankly I would be surprised if we don't see another sale with these operating parameters in the not-too-distant future because by all accounts it seems to have worked even better than GOG anticipated (assuming server overload messages that appeared occasionally even with non-freebie clicks are an indication of this).

So as a post-mortem, I have to say I have serious mixed feelings about this sale. The way GOG normally operates, we never get sales of 80-85% on any of their titles and we rarely see 75% sales (probably just once a year, although they may be hitting this with the one-day sales now--I tend to miss a lot of those).
I have a (completely unfounded) suspicion that GOG is gonna start coming out with real bundles soon (not the $20 ones), and this is their attempt to squeeze as much money as possible out of these games prior to that (or, more likely, their exclusivity contracts are expiring).

I expect this one will move a bit faster... or maybe not...

So as a post-mortem, I have to say I have serious mixed feelings about this sale. The way GOG normally operates, we never get sales of 80-85% on any of their titles and we rarely see 75% sales (probably just once a year, although they may be hitting this with the one-day sales now--I tend to miss a lot of those). For this reason alone I think this sale was enormously popular, even with CAGs. Of course there's the subset of us that are DRM-free fanatics who wouldn't buy any of these games on Steam even as many of them are starting to trickle onto that store. And then there are the people who don't pay attention to bundles who grabbed some of these sale titles at patently-ridiculous prices. On the whole I suspect the sale made GOG a prodigious amount of profit.

However, the giveaways were exploited to the point where non-bots didn't get any and that's something that they would hopefully address in future iterations of this kind of sale. I don't like the whole "limited quantity" idea very much as it tends to put folks in a position of not being able to jump on a good sale price if they have a life outside of watching GOG counters but the repeats do offset that to some degree. As someone suggested earlier, it would also probably help if GOG staff tweeted a short list every few hours of upcoming items. I don't do twitter-stuff myself but I'm sure one of the site regulars would repost that info.

Frankly I would be surprised if we don't see another sale with these operating parameters in the not-too-distant future because by all accounts it seems to have worked even better than GOG anticipated (assuming server overload messages that appeared occasionally even with non-freebie clicks are an indication of this).
I pretty much agree with all of this.

And this would have been like #101 but CAG told me to fuck off.

oh man...i'm reading this on my pc and tried to click on the post to highlight it, so i could "like" it (a la Tapatalk). i've been using my phone to browse CAG too often.

edit: Shit! i just did it again!

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller $10.09 (200)

Better get comfy. This is gonna take a while.

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller $10.09 (200)

Better get comfy. This is gonna take a while.
Bought a copy, so you can thank me for moving the ticker from 129 to 128.

Really enjoyed the sleuthing in the first chapter. Doubt it's worth the $10.09 + bundle pennies I spent on it, but oh well, you only get to participate in these 2 week long Insomnia sales once...hopefully.

I did more research, and it sounds like it's like an interactive book. Not to sound shallow, but I'm not sure if I want it now :(
interactive book + a barbarian simulation game. Also, results are based on chance and your leaders skills, so picking the "right" answer may not work, and picking the "wrong" answer may get good results in unexpected ways. You can go to war and raid other clans, make peace, communicate with the gods. I love it, but it may not be for everyone.

Also, I played on my ipad, not sure how different the GOG version is, but it seems pretty much the same

Edit: You can also *minor spoilers of awesome stuff*
become friends with duck people and have your clan ride dinosaurs....

I feel a bit silly asking this, but it's been nagging at me for a while. And I'm asking here because this seems to be the place to discuss likes. What the etiquette for accidentally liking a post? Leave it be, or take it back?

bread's done
Back