Halo 3 - General Discussion & Info

if that knife is usable, it'll be a huge ripoff of CQC from MGS3... ;) jk

the QCB is the only thing I've seen I like so far... I love lose combat. I just hope this stops sniping abuse.

Whoa nelly, what is everybody's problem with the theme? It's my favorite free theme by far; gonna be plastered on my dashboard for a while. I especially love the handrawn Bungie blade; it's even got the chick from Oni! :D

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Whoa nelly, what is everybody's problem with the theme? It's my favorite free theme by far; gonna be plastered on my dashboard for a while. I especially love the handrawn Bungie blade; it's even got the chick from Oni! :D[/quote]

I would be using the GTA 4 theme, but the in game guide is annoying to look at in that one. The bungie one is alright.

So who's getting the new Halo 3 XBOX360 bundle not Elite but has HDMI port!!!
ilmhalo3console.jpg
  • Halo 3 Special Edition Console
  • Halo 3 Special Edition Wireless Controller
  • Halo 3 Special Edition 20GB Hard Drive
  • Halo 3 Special Edition Wired Headset
  • Halo 3 Special Edition Gamer Pics and Theme (Exclusive download via Xbox LIVE)
  • Component HD AV Cable
  • Ethernet Cable
  • HDMI Port
  • Play & Charge Kit
  • Xbox LIVE Silver Membership
  • One-month Lbox LIVE Gold Membership
  • Halo 3 game not included—sold separately
I'm getting two if its LE, if not, I'll get one!!

Just watched the new campaign trailer on non-shitty live stream.

The trailer starts out with a new voice none of us have heard before in the Halo series.

0:18 - 0:20 Like all the Halos before, the Brutes also have color designations (previously known)

0:20 Shows the Covenant "glassing a planet" (Earth?). This is from the books.

0:38 Looks to be new enemies ripping apart factory workers. You can see MC in the background firing his weapon

0:40 All the UNSC marines from this point on in the trailer seem to be wearing a version of the MJOLNIR armor. Notice the marine walking away from his ATV and look at his back armor, looks just like the Chief's.

0:41 Chief and Arbiter using chain guns. Co-op play with players using one or the other is most likely.

0:45 If you remember the Brute doc video that Bungie posted, this looks exactly like the level they showed off......except much more polished obviously.

0:46 Wreckage similar to the one found in the Halo 3 announcement trailer.

0:47 - 0:48 - The 2 Brutes either have jet packs or are using man-cannons. There's a small flame behind the one the Chief shoots, this leads me to believe the former.....which could be cool.

0:48 Looks like enemies can also hold equipment

0:49 A 4th grenade type.

0:50 and 0:51 Looks like the Fuel Rod is back.

0:51 Chief is taking down a Phantom with the MG

0:53 When the Wraith explodes, shrapnel or new weapon? It's to the left of the screen and looks like a sideways plasma rifle, but more purple than blue. I'm guessing shrapnel.

0:56 Hunters make their next-gen debut. They have spiffy new cannon effects.

0:59 New Drone models. Again, the Marine looks like he's wearing MJORNIR armor.

1:02 Miranda Keyes is back.....in a less-than-smooth ingame cinematic (the animation looks funky)

1:05 Longsword ships make their Halo videogame debut.

1:06 The Covenant seemed to have already set up camp with those giant artillery gun things.

1:07 Guilty Spark is back and so is Cortana of course. Interesting to note though is that she's appearing on the computer hologram.....but isn't she supposed to be with Gravemind? Hmm. You also see another Elite in the background. Perhaps the White-Armored commander from Halo 2?

1:08 No idea WTF these ships are called but they're in the books.

1:11 - 1:13 Masterchief's melee knocks off the Brute's helmet, kinda cool

1:12 Top right HUD, shows a symbol for a new piece of equipment, looks like a protractor.

1:18 2 Wraiths, a Warthog and a Chopper all in one battle suggest larger scale fights

1:25 You see a Prophet's hologram

1:22 The Sarge =D. You also see the Pilot wearing an ODST-like helmet.

1:26 You see Covenant Seraph (I think?) fighters zipping by

1:28 Some kind of weird-ass purple fold to the left of the screen.

1:30 The Chief is taking down a Phantom with a Missle Pod.

1:33 The Banshee has a green-colored front instead of purple.

1:37 More MJOLNIR armor-type marines

1:38 - 1:39 Shows off a new Warthog that holds 4 people total with no Machine gun.

1:39 Obvious in-game cinematic where the Chief shoves a Marine out of the way (or the Arbiter killed the Marine) and shoves a pistol into the Arbiter's jaw. Also, IMPORTANT NOTE: The Chief is holding TWO pistols, they are the Halo 2 variant (M6D I think?) because the Magnum was confirmed NOT to be duel-wieldable. Looks like Halo 3 will sport both types of pistols.

1:42 - 1:43 Shows off several Banshees in the air, ground forces, and that Giant Walker thing (name?) If that's all footage from one battle, the game seemingly features very large scale fights.

1:44 The Arbiter is holding a new piece of equipment or weapon. It's plasma based, so it's most likely Covenant

1:51 The scene looks similar again to the announcement trailer, except the setting is at night.

1:57 Shows the Chief standing over a blue light. Control room to something perhaps? The Ark?

End.

I'm probably being paranoid, but I SWEAR I see wording when the Bungie logo breaks apart.

I noticed that in most of the footage, there were the words "25 m" next to the radar. Since this is probably from earlier footage, my guess is it tells you the distance to your next objective.

I'm a huge nerd right now and I don't care. I've gone through the video 2x, and this is the stuff I found to be relevant/interesting.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']that live action thing was for the movie... from what joystiq is reporting... that's all weta stuff there.[/QUOTE]
oh god, that's going to be worse than a Uwe Boll movie.

Master Chief holding a pistol to the Arbiter's head. Another scene shows the Arbiter and MC together in a more peaceful setting.

Nice to see MC show him who's boss.

Not sure that Miranda Keys is doing pulling guns on two people.

Drop ships shown coming out of either a forerunner or Covenant ship heading towards another covenant ship. Perhaps a Human/Elite combined raid? Also, the hunters shown in game were fighting something using explosives, but with a smaller blast than the spanker, perhaps the hunters are still with the elites and thus with the humans?

Ok w/e tf that stupid short video was looked terrible. It looked like the movie alien and uwe boll had sex and this is their man child that popped out

Somewhat spoilers, but in the scene where those earthships are blasting away, you can clearly see The Ark crater's sides behind them. Then at the end a USMC dropship is flying peacefully away from 3 covenant cap ships. I get the feeling an Elite/Human alliance takes back The Ark, and finds some info about where to go next.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']There's also a Halo: Arms War trailer...still queued up so not sure what it is.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure it's that crappy short.

I've offically earmarked $60 to get this on Day 1. I couldn't care less about the multiplayer, but it looks like they're redeeming themselves from the tragedy that was Halo 2's singleplayer with 3.

Who knows, this time around with Live, maybe I'll even play online a bit ;) Has online co-op for the story mode been confirmed?

I think the console looks really, really nice. I'd like to have one. Can't understand why the HD is only 20GB though. These F'ing hard drives must have platinum platters in them or something for as much MS is charging.

The console seems nice, but I have a feeling it will be overpriced. Not sure why they are skimping out on a few things: 20GB HDD, WIRED Headset (include the new Halo one).

Oh Wow. Anyone else get the e-mail from xbox? It's going to be an entire series of shorts that are released periodically during the summer. Interesting. Let's hope it's better than the promo footage. Instead of CG weapons....how about WETA do their fucking job and build some?

[quote name='road3283']Anyone else thinking Chief + Arbiter= online co-op?

Hope so...[/QUOTE]

that's what I saw when the railer popped up... makes sense. I'd rather be an elite than cheif personally.

[quote name='captainfrizo']Don't if this is old or not (I apologize if it is), but if you barely move the screen from the Bungie logo text will appear below that reads "Don't make us kick your ass."[/quote]

Although its not new, it was and still is dumb and unimportant.

Not to toot my own horn, but did anyone else watch Joystiq's video breakdown of the Campaign trailer? That thing is trash compared to mine......I'm just sayin is all.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Not to toot my own horn, but did anyone else watch Joystiq's video breakdown of the Campaign trailer? That thing is trash compared to mine......I'm just sayin is all.[/quote]

Where's yours?

And what was that email you were talking about earlier?

Here it is:

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Just watched the new campaign trailer on non-shitty live stream.

The trailer starts out with a new voice none of us have heard before in the Halo series.

0:18 - 0:20 Like all the Halos before, the Brutes also have color designations (previously known)

0:20 Shows the Covenant "glassing a planet" (Earth?). This is from the books.

0:38 Looks to be new enemies ripping apart factory workers. You can see MC in the background firing his weapon

0:40 All the UNSC marines from this point on in the trailer seem to be wearing a version of the MJOLNIR armor. Notice the marine walking away from his ATV and look at his back armor, looks just like the Chief's.

0:41 Chief and Arbiter using chain guns. Co-op play with players using one or the other is most likely.

0:45 If you remember the Brute doc video that Bungie posted, this looks exactly like the level they showed off......except much more polished obviously.

0:46 Wreckage similar to the one found in the Halo 3 announcement trailer.

0:47 - 0:48 - The 2 Brutes either have jet packs or are using man-cannons. There's a small flame behind the one the Chief shoots, this leads me to believe the former.....which could be cool.

0:48 Looks like enemies can also hold equipment

0:49 A 4th grenade type.

0:50 and 0:51 Looks like the Fuel Rod is back.

0:51 Chief is taking down a Phantom with the MG

0:53 When the Wraith explodes, shrapnel or new weapon? It's to the left of the screen and looks like a sideways plasma rifle, but more purple than blue. I'm guessing shrapnel.

0:56 Hunters make their next-gen debut. They have spiffy new cannon effects.

0:59 New Drone models. Again, the Marine looks like he's wearing MJORNIR armor.

1:02 Miranda Keyes is back.....in a less-than-smooth ingame cinematic (the animation looks funky)

1:05 Longsword ships make their Halo videogame debut.

1:06 The Covenant seemed to have already set up camp with those giant artillery gun things.

1:07 Guilty Spark is back and so is Cortana of course. Interesting to note though is that she's appearing on the computer hologram.....but isn't she supposed to be with Gravemind? Hmm. You also see another Elite in the background. Perhaps the White-Armored commander from Halo 2?

1:08 No idea WTF these ships are called but they're in the books.

1:11 - 1:13 Masterchief's melee knocks off the Brute's helmet, kinda cool

1:12 Top right HUD, shows a symbol for a new piece of equipment, looks like a protractor.

1:18 2 Wraiths, a Warthog and a Chopper all in one battle suggest larger scale fights

1:25 You see a Prophet's hologram

1:22 The Sarge =D. You also see the Pilot wearing an ODST-like helmet.

1:26 You see Covenant Seraph (I think?) fighters zipping by

1:28 Some kind of weird-ass purple fold to the left of the screen.

1:30 The Chief is taking down a Phantom with a Missle Pod.

1:33 The Banshee has a green-colored front instead of purple.

1:37 More MJOLNIR armor-type marines

1:38 - 1:39 Shows off a new Warthog that holds 4 people total with no Machine gun.

1:39 Obvious in-game cinematic where the Chief shoves a Marine out of the way (or the Arbiter killed the Marine) and shoves a pistol into the Arbiter's jaw. Also, IMPORTANT NOTE: The Chief is holding TWO pistols, they are the Halo 2 variant (M6D I think?) because the Magnum was confirmed NOT to be duel-wieldable. Looks like Halo 3 will sport both types of pistols.

1:42 - 1:43 Shows off several Banshees in the air, ground forces, and that Giant Walker thing (name?) If that's all footage from one battle, the game seemingly features very large scale fights.

1:44 The Arbiter is holding a new piece of equipment or weapon. It's plasma based, so it's most likely Covenant

1:51 The scene looks similar again to the announcement trailer, except the setting is at night.

1:57 Shows the Chief standing over a blue light. Control room to something perhaps? The Ark?

End.

I'm probably being paranoid, but I SWEAR I see wording when the Bungie logo breaks apart.

I noticed that in most of the footage, there were the words "25 m" next to the radar. Since this is probably from earlier footage, my guess is it tells you the distance to your next objective.

I'm a huge nerd right now and I don't care. I've gone through the video 2x, and this is the stuff I found to be relevant/interesting.[/quote]

Its actually pretty damn good and detailed. Great job Panda!

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Here it is:

Its actually pretty damn good and detailed. Great job Panda![/QUOTE]

Thanks Linkin.

Also Trakan, here's the e-mail I was talking about:

x0711halo3e3xboxe3r5t02yu8.jpg

x0711halo3e3xboxe3r5t00ns6.jpg

Any speculation on whether the Halo3 Limited System is going to sport those 60nm chips? Cheapy says it's noticeably quieter and that plus all the Halo fanboi shit might make me cave and trade in my current 360 for it.

Any recommendations on the best way to transfer my game saves over to the new console? Considering I just want to trade my shit in to GS (yeah, I'll take the loss over eBaying or even CL'ing), should I just buy a memory card?

[quote name='gunm']Any speculation on whether the Halo3 Limited System is going to sport those 60nm chips? Cheapy says it's noticeably quieter and that plus all the Halo fanboi shit might make me cave and trade in my current 360 for it.

Any recommendations on the best way to transfer my game saves over to the new console? Considering I just want to trade my shit in to GS (yeah, I'll take the loss over eBaying or even CL'ing), should I just buy a memory card?[/quote]

I am wondering the exact same thing(s).

[quote name='captmurphy']I am wondering the exact same thing(s).[/QUOTE]

I think to transfer saves, just get a memory unit. either that or upgrade to a 120 gig, use transfer cable, then replace the halo HDD with the 120.

Thanks, Ro. I guess the easiest thing to do would be the latter suggestion of getting the hard drive upgrade and transfer cable.

Edit: Or does anyone know if the 360 Elite HDD Transfer Kit will work using 20GB to 20GB? I'm guessing the software disc it comes with is going to specifically look for the 120Gig drive, but it would be cool if it worked for any size MS drive...

Edit2: Or I guess another option could be to get ahold of another 20GB drive some how and trade in my 360 with that, keeping my old hard drive. I dunno what the best option is going to be...

People might complain about the 20GB HD on this 360, but if someone is going to buy a special Halo console, they probably are the Halo gamer who only plays Halo and games like Halo so they don't really need more. Or they also waited this long, they probably won't be playing much anyways.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think to transfer saves, just get a memory unit. either that or upgrade to a 120 gig, use transfer cable, then replace the halo HDD with the 120.[/quote]

I was thinking of that as well. A Halo 3 LE 20GB HDD might go for a pretty penny on eBay to make up for the cost of the 120GB HDD

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was thinking of that as well. A Halo 3 LE 20GB HDD might go for a pretty penny on eBay to make up for the cost of the 120GB HDD[/quote]

I doubt it, no one knows how many there will be. Knowing GS, they'll make 20,000...and For that price, no thanks. Better to buy the Elite.

Thats why I'll just be getting the CE tin.

I'm not a big Halo fan, but I am a sucker for limited-edition stuff. Particularly if this new system is going to be quieter and cooler. I guess we'll see how the pricing is and how much hassle it's going to be to transfer all my stuff over.

Just announced no Online Co-Op at release for Halo 3. It probably wont impact me from picking it up on day 1, but I think its a pretty big deal that it is not included especially since Gears and RB6V has it. I really cannot believe that they cannot work out the bugs and get this in at release. Not Good.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Just announced no Online Co-Op at release for Halo 3. It probably wont impact me from picking it up on day 1, but I think its a pretty big deal that it is not included especially since Gears and RB6V has it. I really cannot believe that they cannot work out the bugs and get this in at release. Not Good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree it sucks. Gears online was simply amazing and sooooooo much fun on Insane. Anyways here's some more insight:

"We're not dumb. We know that people want it," Bungie's Frank O'Conner tells EGM. But according to CVG, leaked info from an upcoming EGM article suggests that what we want ain't what we'll get. The development team is still struggling to bring Halo co-op onto Xbox Live. "I think the biggest problem for us for online co-op is that we have a situation where you can be in a Warthog with five troops, almost a mile away from the other player. That's a significant challenge," says Frankie."

Currently, it appears that Halo 3 will ship without online co-op, but supposedly Bungie hasn't ruled out bringing the feature to players through a future update (remember when folks wished for the same for Halo 2?). This doesn't mean that 4-player co-op is any less likely; but, if it does exist, you'll be forced to suffer through it using antiquated split-screen methods (unless you've got a LAN setup). Disappointed? We are; many of us naively accepted Gears' online co-op as surrogate confirmation that Halo's campaign would finally become an Xbox Live experience.

We'll leave you with a few hopeful words from Frankie: "If we can make it happen in a way that works well, we will."

from joystiq.com

He does have a valid point. Since none of us are developers, we have no idea how hard it really is to code that and get it to the point where it is working properly.

bread's done
Back