Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
JUST GO HERE FOR DEALS NOW: Credit over at DVDtalk.com
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482461

Please feel free to post any HD-DVD / BD deals in this thread.

- Family Video Store for $5 off first time orders at http://www.familyvideo.com
This coupon is good for $5 off $5 and it's only .99 cents shipping for any size order.
Coupon code: NEWMEM96
Batman Begins HD-DVD ~ $17 shipped

- Google Checkout at BUY.com / CDUniverse.com / Bestprices.com have good deals (EXP 10/31)

- Amazon seems to have competitive prices on some also. 10 % off DEAL (order 3 and get 10% off and get 10% off for a year)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/102-4264254-3012160?ie=UTF8&nodeId=160066011

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray REVIEWS:
www.dvdtalk.com
www.highdefdigest.com

[quote name='Bezerker']FYE.com has quite a few good deals on used Blu Ray's after GCO; so far ive found (prices not including tax/shipping):

House of Flying Daggers - $1.99

NIne inch nails - $4.99

Most of the others are $8.99-$9.99 + shipping/tax.[/quote]
Ooo, no way. I'mma try this.

Has anyone bought these used from FYE? I want to know what condition to expect them in and if they come with the original case, inserts, etc...

Edit: They don't have much of a selection when it comes to used :/

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Ooo, no way. I'mma try this.

Has anyone bought these used from FYE? I want to know what condition to expect them in and if they come with the original case, inserts, etc...

Edit: They don't have much of a selection when it comes to used :/[/quote]

Ive bought from them (and traded) a few times used both online & b&m. They are really anal about scratches and whatnot. You shouldnt have any problems getting a good quality disc.

And yea, their selection does suck; but random finds like HoFD for $1.99 is pretty good. Most of the other used ones, you'd be better off ordering new from another GCO store.

[quote name='Bezerker']Ive bought from them (and traded) a few times used both online & b&m. They are really anal about scratches and whatnot. You shouldnt have any problems getting a good quality disc.

And yea, their selection does suck; but random finds like HoFD for $1.99 is pretty good. Most of the other used ones, you'd be better off ordering new from another GCO store.[/QUOTE]

Ive used GCO before, but i can't remember how to get the $10 off, do you have to sign up a new account each time? or how do you do it. Or a link to another page on the forum would be fine

[quote name='madportagee']Ive used GCO before, but i can't remember how to get the $10 off, do you have to sign up a new account each time? or how do you do it. Or a link to another page on the forum would be fine[/quote]

New Account each time

[quote name='madportagee']Ive used GCO before, but i can't remember how to get the $10 off, do you have to sign up a new account each time? or how do you do it. Or a link to another page on the forum would be fine[/QUOTE]

Anyone have a link to the new coupon?

GCO offer had a time frame for when you could sign up and be eligible for the discount did it not? I think you could only get the discount if you applied by March or May, I can't remember. Most $10 deals will expire on June 30th as well.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']GCO offer had a time frame for when you could sign up and be eligible for the discount did it not? I think you could only get the discount if you applied by March or May, I can't remember. Most $10 deals will expire on June 30th as well.[/QUOTE]

I too thought it had expired yet Bezerker is still talking about? I'm confused...is there still a $10 off coupon for GCO out their?

I just went and created another GCO account, worked just fine for me. Comes out to $5.31 shipped (tax + shipping are a bitch)I didnt order it, but i think $5.31 is probably one of the best deals since the Babel screwup a while back.

I dont have a BR player yet (hopefully will have my PS3 in a week or two *looks at sig*). Im stocking up all the GCO accounts I can for when i do get it though.

Just a reminder, if you plan on using the same card more than once, make sure to wait til the current item has shipped before making another order. I've made over 40 orders with 6 cards and only had one banned (due to my own fault). Unfortunately, Paypal's virutal debit card does NOT work with GCO since GCO requires a CVC code (which PDC cant generate for whatever reason). If you need extra reloadable prepaid cards, i recommend Citibank's Greendot card or Obopay (which gives you a free $10-$25 for signing up).

I am assuming this is going to be a YMMV

Went to a local FYE yesterday they had a flier with a buy one get one on any used item coupon . I picked up both Pirates of the Caribbean movies (blu ray) for a bit over 20.00 after tax. There was a nice batch of HD-DVD and Blu ray movies. Nothing was more than 24.99 a lot for under 20.00 used, and not as many Talladega nights and King Kongs as I thought there would be. Also picked up a copy of Apocalypto that was marked wrong for 2.99.

[quote name='Bezerker']I just went and created another GCO account, worked just fine for me. Comes out to $5.31 shipped (tax + shipping are a bitch)I didnt order it, but i think $5.31 is probably one of the best deals since the Babel screwup a while back.

I dont have a BR player yet (hopefully will have my PS3 in a week or two *looks at sig*). Im stocking up all the GCO accounts I can for when i do get it though.

Just a reminder, if you plan on using the same card more than once, make sure to wait til the current item has shipped before making another order. I've made over 40 orders with 6 cards and only had one banned (due to my own fault). Unfortunately, Paypal's virutal debit card does NOT work with GCO since GCO requires a CVC code (which PDC cant generate for whatever reason). If you need extra reloadable prepaid cards, i recommend Citibank's Greendot card or Obopay (which gives you a free $10-$25 for signing up).[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link for where I can get the GCO coupon?

There is no coupon to enter, just sign up for a new account and when you checkout at an elligible store (75% of the GCO stores, usually) the $10 coupon automatically applies.

[quote name='Bezerker']There is no coupon to enter, just sign up for a new account and when you checkout at an elligible store (75% of the GCO stores, usually) the $10 coupon automatically applies.[/quote]
When you say new account, do you mean a fake new email, or just sign up for another GCO account under my existing gmail?

I've never had a need to use this discount twice, so it'd be the first time for me trying to cash in on it again.

[quote name='dallow']When you say new account, do you mean a fake new email, or just sign up for another GCO account under my existing gmail?

I've never had a need to use this discount twice, so it'd be the first time for me trying to cash in on it again.[/quote]

You can use any email address; though i wouldnt use a fake one as they do send a confirmation email (yahoo emails work fine).

I dont know if creating a new account through the main GCO website enables the coupon, but when you create a new GCO through the Buy.com link it enables the coupon for all their participating $10 off sites.

[quote name='guyver2077']anyone know where i can get movie cases without the discs?

i need br cases for transporter and descent[/QUOTE]

Best Buy with the free Spider-Man disc?

[quote name='Kfoster1979']Need Cases?

http://www.sleevetown.com/

Scroll down a few they are .75 each not sure about the shipping[/quote]Those are the ones with the latches on the side that Universal seems to be using, btw, in case you don't notice it in the product description. If someone finds a place that sells some without the latches, please let us know. I'd prefer those myself.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Those are the ones with the latches on the side that Universal seems to be using, btw, in case you don't notice it in the product description. If someone finds a place that sells some without the latches, please let us know. I'd prefer those myself.[/quote]

I thought all blu ray cases were like that, I have 4 blu rays and all have the security latch. What I have done is open the case, push the latch in until it clicks, then close the case.

As for Cover art

http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers

Use the drop down menu to select Blu ray or HD-dvd

[quote name='Kfoster1979']I thought all blu ray cases were like that, I have 4 blu rays and all have the security latch. What I have done is open the case, push the latch in until it clicks, then close the case.

As for Cover art

http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers

Use the drop down menu to select Blu ray or HD-dvd[/quote]The ones that have the flatter front on the top marquee bar have the latches. The ones that are more rounded, like releases from Warner, don't seem to have them. Great site by the way.

It won't work for me, I see no mention of the $10 promo on FYE's site or during the google checkout process, despite using a brand new email address and new google checkout account. I tried signing up for GCO through FYE's site as well as through Buy.com's promotional GCO link, then using that account to check out on FYE, but both had this result:

I used a different GCO account with a different credit card last night to get Blood Diamond on BD for less than $11 shipped from Buy.Com, it seemed to work fine.

I swear, over the years Bestbuy.com has screwed up more online orders for me than they've gotten right. Notebooks that they charged my card for and send confirmation e-mails, then later just up and cancelled the order. In-Store pickups that the item is supposed to be there... then I get there and it's not.

The latest was a buy x HD-DVD's, save so much. Think it was a buy 2 and save x, buy 3 and save y. So I placed the order online for The Departed and two other movies. When I picked them up, I paid the cashier and went on my way. Wasn't until later I realized I got ONE HD-DVD, and the other 2 were DVD's. And it wasn't that she gave me the wrong ones, the sku's in the sale were wrong, so she simply gave me what the online site sold me.

I got my refund in the end, but you gotta be REAL careful with Best Buy online. :(

"buy x and get y" did you go to best buy or were you at the wheel of fortune?
And DVD and HD-DVD cases are very different.

I can understand the BB clerk not knowing, but a shopper.?
You give BB too much credit.

I wonder if CC will PM Closer?

[quote name='shadowrage']I wonder if CC will PM Closer?[/quote]

Print out the online ad, and they do.
Someone posted their receipt on another forum.

[quote name='shadowrage']"buy x and get y" did you go to best buy or were you at the wheel of fortune?
And DVD and HD-DVD cases are very different.

I can understand the BB clerk not knowing, but a shopper.?
You give BB too much credit.

I wonder if CC will PM Closer?[/QUOTE]

I ordered Cinderella Man, The Departed, and a 3rd movie... thinking I was getting all HD-DVD's... as the discount page they were on said "Save on HD-DVD's". Went in to pick them up, they had a white sheet taped on the front of each disc's case, and DVD and HD-DVD cases are nearly identical (certainly are the same size)... so with paper covering the cases... I didn't notice.

It wasn't until later, out in the car, I removed all their paperwork and realized 2 of the 3 discs were standard DVD's. Had to make a special trip back, and didn't give them a hard time... because the clerk doing my return was nothing if not helpful. Just annoying that the online order system sold me discs that shouldn't have been part of the promotion. Add in the other bad online Best Buy experiences I've had... and I'm not happy with them.

[quote name='sman113']sorry to tell you but HDDVD cases (which are the same size as blu-ray) are not the same size as DVD.[/QUOTE]

I see. So you couldn't possibly understand how someone who's trying to run and get errands done wouldn't notice a difference when the movies they are picking up are essentially "wrapped" in paper? The HD-DVD cases sit right next to my Xbox 360 games and other cases in my storage unit. They aren't THAT much different than a regular DVD case, other than the VERY slight difference at the bottom of the case (has those "feet" they incorporate).

Frankly, I'm a little put off by people acting like this is SO hard to believe. It's not like I was asking to get screwed over. I was just picking up what I thought I'd purchased online.

[quote name='merkman']I see. So you couldn't possibly understand how someone who's trying to run and get errands done wouldn't notice a difference when the movies they are picking up are essentially "wrapped" in paper? The HD-DVD cases sit right next to my Xbox 360 games and other cases in my storage unit. They aren't THAT much different than a regular DVD case, other than the VERY slight difference at the bottom of the case (has those "feet" they incorporate).

Frankly, I'm a little put off by people acting like this is SO hard to believe. It's not like I was asking to get screwed over. I was just picking up what I thought I'd purchased online.[/quote]

I believe you.

Good film choices merk. I never picked up anything in store that was ordered online. I wonder why they wrap them in paper?

on a side note, anyone notice BDs are a tad lighter than HDDs or DVDs?
I mean the disc itself.

[quote name='merkman']I see. So you couldn't possibly understand how someone who's trying to run and get errands done wouldn't notice a difference when the movies they are picking up are essentially "wrapped" in paper? The HD-DVD cases sit right next to my Xbox 360 games and other cases in my storage unit. They aren't THAT much different than a regular DVD case, other than the VERY slight difference at the bottom of the case (has those "feet" they incorporate).

Frankly, I'm a little put off by people acting like this is SO hard to believe. It's not like I was asking to get screwed over. I was just picking up what I thought I'd purchased online.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying i dont believe you. I do. And i am sure you were in a rush.

But its just a fact that HDDVD/Bluray cases, while not only different COLORS are noticably SMALLER/SHORTER than DVD cases. Thats a pretty big difference.

People make errors, and apparalty best buy did in this case, but you did too, so blaming it all on best buy and bad-mouthing their business is unnecessary when you are partially to blame.

I believe you too.

But don't say they're even close to the same size, because they aren't.

Not only much shorter, but also half the width. Extremely slim.
Not to mention the maroon, clear case.

[quote name='sman113']I'm not saying i dont believe you. I do. And i am sure you were in a rush.

But its just a fact that HDDVD/Bluray cases, while not only different COLORS are noticably SMALLER/SHORTER than DVD cases. Thats a pretty big difference.

People make errors, and apparalty best buy did in this case, but you did too, so blaming it all on best buy and bad-mouthing their business is unnecessary when you are partially to blame.[/QUOTE]

If Best Buy had shipped me the laptop I ordered, so there wasn't a mistake... I agree.

If Best Buy had sent me the copy of Unreal Tournament 2004 Collector's Edition that I pre-ordered, I'd agree some more.

If they'd even managed to call me, when they didn't have a couple video games I ordered online and received the "come get them" e-mail... I'd probably be forgiving.

Unfortunately, I've pre-ordered about 5 things via Best Buy. And nearly every time they disappoint. And putting DVD's in a HD-DVD sale certainly wasn't my fault, that's faulty advertising.

So while I can appreciate that I have a responsibility in the matter... I just don't trust bestbuy.com anymore. And aren't they the ones that got caught with two websites, having different prices? Hmmm.

Anyway... I appreciate the kind works of several folks above, and continue to love CAG. It's how I go broke saving money, and I sure appreciate the site! :)

[quote name='dallow']I believe you too.

But don't say they're even close to the same size, because they aren't.

Not only much shorter, but also half the width. Extremely slim.
Not to mention the maroon, clear case.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm concerned, a DVD case, Blu-Ray case, and HD-DVD case are all VERY similar. They hold discs in a rectangular case, they look nearly idential on a shelf, and I mean shit... oooh, it's a 1/2 shorter something? Xbox game, 360 game, PS2 game, PSP game, movie cases... they are all pretty similar. Sure, the PSP case would be most obviously different, but it's only about 1/2 the width of the rest, and doesn't fit the same on a shelf.

But then, we clearly agree to disagree on this... and have taken it way too far. So to hell with it. :)

[quote name='merkman']As far as I'm concerned, a DVD case, Blu-Ray case, and HD-DVD case are all VERY similar. They hold discs in a rectangular case, they look nearly idential on a shelf, and I mean shit... oooh, it's a 1/2 shorter something? Xbox game, 360 game, PS2 game, PSP game, movie cases... they are all pretty similar. Sure, the PSP case would be most obviously different, but it's only about 1/2 the width of the rest, and doesn't fit the same on a shelf.

But then, we clearly agree to disagree on this... and have taken it way too far. So to hell with it. :)[/quote]

your definitions of similar and different are quite unique.

Is the trade your original Fifth Element BR disc for the new one thing going to be going on for a while?

FYE.com has the original 5E BR for $1.99 after GCO. I put in an order as $5.31 shipped is a damn good deal. I wont have my PS3 til around July 10th, but at least ill be ready ;-).

Anyone know any good places to import BR discs from? Amazon.fr's going price seems to be $41 a disc shipped (a bit too much for a cheapass like myself).

Seriously, who's getting $10 off at FYE with Google Checkout? I don't see anything about it on the site and I'm not getting any discount with a brand new account.

Sorry to go off-topic here, but do we have a thread listing all the stores that RENT out HD-DVD? Like which blockbuster locations, which hollywood video locations etc etc. I find it absolutely idiotic that neither BB nor Hollywood video have a list on their site.

I have found one blockbuster in Dallas, and it is like 10 miles away from me. They carry maybe 20 HD-DVD titles and 50 Bluray. This is at Dallas Parkway/Parker Rd.

[quote name='gsr']Sorry to go off-topic here, but do we have a thread listing all the stores that RENT out HD-DVD? Like which blockbuster locations, which hollywood video locations etc etc. I find it absolutely idiotic that neither BB nor Hollywood video have a list on their site.

I have found one blockbuster in Dallas, and it is like 10 miles away from me. They carry maybe 20 HD-DVD titles and 50 Bluray. This is at Dallas Parkway/Parker Rd.[/QUOTE]

Just do Blockbuster Online or Netflix.

Cheaper and better selection.

[quote name='gsr']Sorry to go off-topic here, but do we have a thread listing all the stores that RENT out HD-DVD? Like which blockbuster locations, which hollywood video locations etc etc. I find it absolutely idiotic that neither BB nor Hollywood video have a list on their site.

I have found one blockbuster in Dallas, and it is like 10 miles away from me. They carry maybe 20 HD-DVD titles and 50 Bluray. This is at Dallas Parkway/Parker Rd.[/QUOTE]
I searched all over the web for quite some time and didn't find a list.
Sure, I'll subscribe to BB Online, but I just got my HD DVD player, and I was hoping to be able to rent a movie locally to see what the excitement is all about. I had to call all my local stores and none of them had the discs.
So now I'm left waiting for BB to ship a movie from my queue.
That's what we get for being early adopters, I guess.
In the meantime I'm keeping a close eye on this thread so maybe I can buy a movie for cheap while I'm waiting.

[quote name='techstar25']I searched all over the web for quite some time and didn't find a list.
Sure, I'll subscribe to BB Online, but I just got my HD DVD player, and I was hoping to be able to rent a movie locally to see what the excitement is all about. I had to call all my local stores and none of them had the discs.
So now I'm left waiting for BB to ship a movie from my queue.
That's what we get for being early adopters, I guess.
In the meantime I'm keeping a close eye on this thread so maybe I can buy a movie for cheap while I'm waiting.[/quote]Go out and buy Batman Begins right this instant.

[quote name='Bezerker']Is the trade your original Fifth Element BR disc for the new one thing going to be going on for a while?

FYE.com has the original 5E BR for $1.99 after GCO. I put in an order as $5.31 shipped is a damn good deal. I wont have my PS3 til around July 10th, but at least ill be ready ;-).

Anyone know any good places to import BR discs from? Amazon.fr's going price seems to be $41 a disc shipped (a bit too much for a cheapass like myself).[/quote]
import BR? isnt BR region coded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back