HUGE Criterion and Kino DVD sale...

andysavestheday

CAGiversary!
For all you cinemaholics like me, DVDplanet and deepdiscount are both having HUGE Criterion sales and deepdiscount is having a Kino DVD sale as well. Kino has a lot of older movies like Criterion, with a lot of great stuff (man with a movie camera, Nosferatu, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, etc) avalible super cheap.

Perfect way to either build a library (that's what I'm doing) or introduce yourself to the vast collection of the greatest works in the history of cinema.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Criterion-Collection_stcVVcatId476504VVviewcat.htm

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Kino-Sale_stcVVcatId474520VVviewcat.htm

DVDplanet has about the same prices on the Criterions ONLY and even have these coupons to sweeten the deal:

MARCH2007 $5 OFF $50
PREMAR2007 $10 OFF $125
SPRINGCHICKEN $7 OFF $80

If you're interested in these kind of films, check out criterionforum.org, the best place for discussion and information.

Alright, order placed... this was my first time purchasing from DDD, so I was offered the opportunity to sign up for the "Great Fun" service. Doing so gave me a $10 refund on my purchase... I just have to call to cancel my trial month before I'm billed.

So I essentially scored Seven Samurai for $19.97. :)

[quote name='tototheexplorer']Seven Samurai (and Kurosawa in general) totally shaped Western cinema. It's definitely worth it for one of the greatest films of all-time; heck, I payed full price for mine.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

Well, it flowed both ways. It is common knowledge that Kurosawa was a huge admirer (and some say imitator) of John Ford. But certainly it is easier to spot Western directors that drew from Kurosawa than the other way around. Star Wars fans should make a point of watching "The Hidden Fortress."

Seven Samurai is a must own, at any price.

Watched the Criterion of "Do the Right Thing" with the Mrs. last night. She was not impressed. She's hard to read sometimes. I can never tell what she's going to like and what she isn't. Although I did manage to successfully deflect the ubiquitous, "Be honest. You just bought this because it's a Criterion, right?" It is a film that affected me deeply the first time I saw it back in college.

[quote name='Tybee']Yeah, 49th Parallel was originally in the mix as well, as I love the two Powell & Pressburgers I already have ("Black Narcissus" and "I Know Where I'm Going!") and I've been trying to figure which of theirs to pick up next (I know, I know...."Red Shoes"). But I also remember thinking Preston Sturges could do no wrong before I bought "Unfaithfully Yours." ;)

TCM is a great place to see Criterion movies for free before purchasing. There are at least 10 Criterion films showing there in any given month. One of the reasons I subscribe to their guide. :)

Can someone point me to a guide about using Google checkout? I've never used it before.[/quote]
Agreed on the GoogleCheckout bit, but for DVDPlanet as I can't figure it out.

For all the Criterion fans out there, does anyone know if they'll be rereleasing The Hidden Fortress with all kinds of goodies? That's the one that Ir eally wanted them to rerelease outside of Seven Samurai.

I've tried to go through my want list to come up with stuff that I *really* want instead of "Hey this would be cool to have a TCC of this disc" and the lowest I've come up with so far is $525 before shipping. I should never have clicked on this thread.
Anyone know when the sale will be over? I'd like to wait about two weeks to be on the next billing cycle of my credit card so that I don't have to pay for these for almost two months...

Hold the phone...The wife wants a ring she found online, so she gets that and I get my Criterions. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!

I'm kind of second guessing a couple of my choices. The only ones on my list that I've seen are Seven Samurai (one of my 5 favorite films of all time) and Bicycle Thieves (seen dozens of times and never tire of it). How is Yi Yi? From the description, it sounds a little like "Eat Drink Man Woman." "Spirit of the Beehive" just sounds intriguing and seemed to get mentioned a lot in recent discussions about "Pan's Labyrinth" (which I really enjoyed).

Alternates:

- 49th Parallel
- A Canterbury Tale
- Battle of Algiers
- Beauty & the Beast
- Life & Death of Colonel Blimp
- Stray Dog
- Sword of Doom
- Yojimbo/Sanjuro set

I have alternate alternates as well. ;)

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']For all the Criterion fans out there, does anyone know if they'll be rereleasing The Hidden Fortress with all kinds of goodies? That's the one that Ir eally wanted them to rerelease outside of Seven Samurai.[/quote]

Well, you would think it'd get an update considering it's the fourth film from the same Kurosawa Samurai box as Seven Samurai and Yojimbo/Sanjuro (all of which have gotten HD transfers). Also, you cannot deny its importance being a huge influence on George Lucas. However, Criterion has stated that if they're going to re-release a film, you're going to know long in advance (before it hits the "coming soon" page, which is a three month window of upcoming releases), so I wouldn't expect a re-release until, at least, the end of this year...if they're even giving it a new transfer at all...:whistle2:k

[quote name='Tybee']Hold the phone...The wife wants a ring she found online, so she gets that and I get my Criterions. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!

I'm kind of second guessing a couple of my choices. The only ones on my list that I've seen are Seven Samurai (one of my 5 favorite films of all time) and Bicycle Thieves (seen dozens of times and never tire of it). How is Yi Yi? From the description, it sounds a little like "Eat Drink Man Woman." "Spirit of the Beehive" just sounds intriguing and seemed to get mentioned a lot in recent discussions about "Pan's Labyrinth" (which I really enjoyed).

Alternates:

- 49th Parallel
- A Canterbury Tale
- Battle of Algiers
- Beauty & the Beast
- Stray Dog
- Sword of Doom
- Yojimbo/Sanjuro set

I have alternate alternates as well. ;)[/quote]

YiYi is the best film of the 21st century thus far. :applause:

I think the comparison between Spirit of the Beehive and Pan's Labyrinth are a little mis-leading. The comparison is bandied around because they both use childlike whimsy and fantasy to touch upon the political and social unrest in their respective areas. However, aesthetically Spirit is pretty minimalist compared to Pan's Labyrinth. It's more sub-dued and out-of-focus than the fantasy of Pan's. It's an amazing film; just doesn't have the flash.

[quote name='Tybee']Hold the phone...The wife wants a ring she found online, so she gets that and I get my Criterions. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!

Alternates:

- 49th Parallel
- A Canterbury Tale
- Battle of Algiers
- Beauty & the Beast
- Stray Dog
- Sword of Doom
- Yojimbo/Sanjuro set

I have alternate alternates as well. ;)[/QUOTE]

I can speak for a couple of those. Battle of Algiers is brilliant. Yout have to get that one. And the supplementary stuff is great too.

I got Spirit of the Beehive during the last 20% off sale. It's a heavy movie. I've watched it once and need to watch it again. You can tell it's one of those films you have to watch more than once to get a better understanding for. Just make sure you watch it when you're not tired. Not that it's boring, but it's slow paced and takes a lot out of you.

Yi Yi is kind of the same way. I found the darkness of the transfer to be somewhat distracting, but apparently the original print was like that. This is a great film. You won't regret getting it.

And have you seen Jules and Jim? If not, get that now!

[quote name='tototheexplorer']I think the comparison between Spirit of the Beehive and Pan's Labyrinth are a little mis-leading. The comparison is bandied around because they both use childlike whimsy and fantasy to touch upon the political and social unrest in their respective areas. However, aesthetically Spirit is pretty minimalist compared to Pan's Labyrinth. It's more sub-dued and out-of-focus than the fantasy of Pan's. It's an amazing film; just doesn't have the flash.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I obviously didn't think it was an effects-heavy film like Pan's Labyrinth. I realize most of the comparisons stem from the juxtaposition of political and fantasy themes, the young female protagonist, and the fact that both films are set in Spain.

I can speak for a couple of those. Battle of Algiers is brilliant. Yout have to get that one. And the supplementary stuff is great too.

And have you seen Jules and Jim? If not, get that now!

Battle of Algiers is high on my list, but I think it may have to wait until next time. And yes, I already have Jules and Jim. ;)

Does anyone know if you can stack the one time use codes with the Google CheckOut new customer discount at DVD Planet?

As sad as this is, I've realized I really, really need to budget myself this month. Right now I'm getting the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box, Le Samourai and Playtime. If I could stack those discounts I'm definitely going to get another.

Wow, DVD Planet is a shoddy site. It won't even load half of the time and I was finally able to attempt to checkout and, apparently, I can only use Google CheckOut on in-stock items.

So, I'm going to order Yojimbo/Sanjuro and Playtime...from DeepDiscountDVD.

Anyone else placed their orders yet?

I got:

Yojimbo/Sanjuro and Playtime for $65.94. :applause:

Just placed my order with DVD Planet. Changed up my list a little:

Canterbury Tale $23.97
Kagemusha $23.97
Seven Samurai reissue $29.97
Spirit of the Beehive $23.97
Yi Yi $23.97
---------
Subtotal $125.85
$10 off $125 coupon -$10.00
---------
Total $115.85

I've still got a $10 GCO coupon, which I may use to get the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set and/or The Bicycle Thieves. I know the DDD sale ends on the March 18. How long are the DVD Planet prices good for?

[quote name='Tybee']Just placed my order with DVD Planet. Changed up my list a little:

Canterbury Tale $23.97
Kagemusha $23.97
Seven Samurai reissue $29.97
Spirit of the Beehive $23.97
Yi Yi $23.97
---------
Subtotal $125.85
$10 off $125 coupon -$10.00
---------
Total $115.85

I've still got a $10 GCO coupon, which I may use to get the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set and/or The Bicycle Thieves. I know the DDD sale ends on the March 18. How long are the DVD Planet prices good for?[/quote]

Nice loot.

And can anyone confirm that both sales end on the 16th? I got annihilated this past week with bills (car insurance was due, car payment was due, three credit card payments were due, rent, needed groceries, etc.) so I really felt uncomfortable dropping a lot of money on this sale. So yeah, once I can confirm I had enough money this coming week to live normally (which will be the 16th) I can have another go. I'm sick...:drool:

Just got an e-mail from DDD that says the Criterion sale will run through 3/22 and the Kino sale will run through 3/31. Wonder if that goes for DVD Planet/Digital Eyes as well?

[quote name='Tybee']Just got an e-mail from DDD that says the Criterion sale will run through 3/22 and the Kino sale will run through 3/31. Wonder if that goes for DVD Planet/Digital Eyes as well?[/quote]

Oh, wow. I hope it's for DVD Planet, also. Maybe they'll have the stuff I want back in-stock by then. :p

[quote name='tototheexplorer']Also, to veer wildly off topic, Criterion has announced their June releases:

http://criterion.com/asp/coming_soon.asp

WR and If... were two of my "dream" Criterions, so I'm insanely happy and thought I'd share. :applause:[/quote]I saw this earlier today, the Marker set is a must-buy for me, and I'll probably get WR since I've read essays about it in a couple of books and always thought I'd never get to see it, a la Jan Nemec. Sweet Movie and If... will probably get me to cave as well. When Criterion gets it right, they get it right.

[quote name='tototheexplorer']And to veer off topic again: for pre-orders, do DVD Planet and DDD charge when shipped, or at the time of purchase?[/quote]

When shipped (for DVD Planet, anyway). For example, out of the titles I ordered, Seven Samurai was backordered. They sent the ones that were in-stock and only charged me for those.

Incidentally, they applied the $10 coupon I used entirely on the first batch, rather than breaking it down across the divided shipments.

[quote name='Tybee']When shipped (for DVD Planet, anyway). For example, out of the titles I ordered, Seven Samurai was backordered. They sent the ones that were in-stock and only charged me for those.

Incidentally, they applied the $10 coupon I used entirely on the first batch, rather than breaking it down across the divided shipments.[/quote]

OK, thanks for that. I went ahead and pre-ordered Overlord, Army of Shadows, Sansho the Bailiff, The Third Man and the Malle documentaries Eclipse set. I feel kind of dumb purchasing my previous orders from DDD, because I didn't understand the whole "points" system at DVD Planet. Taking into account all pre-orders are discounted even more than release price along with the points system and monthly coupons, I really have no reason to not just go ahead and buy whatever I want from them. I take back the "shoddy site" comment on pricing alone. :whistle2:#

modium: I'm embarrassed to say I'm not familiar with Chris Marker. Can you give impressions on either of those films?

I can't believe every single Akira Kurosawa movie sold out. I managed to order the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set when it was in stock, but it still hasn't shipped yet... I was planning on ordering Spartacus today and it had sold out too. Pretty much every Criterion DVD I wanted is sold out so I ended up getting Do the Right Thing... Ohh yeah, I'm surprised the sale is still going, so I can't complain...

How long do you think it takes them to get a dvd in if its out of stock?

7 of the 10 dvds I want to order are Out of Stock.

Also, can I place an order on the day of the 22nd?

[quote name='manhole']im thinkin about getting the last temptation of christ. anyone seen it? is it worth the money?[/quote]
The Gospel According to Marty? It's one of my favorites in the collection. My wife, who is usually pretty open minded, was less enthused, but she was raised a devout Baptist. I think the scenes of Jesus getting it on with Mary Magdalene (within the bonds of matrimony, but still...) and moreover the mere suggestion that Jesus might have spurned the cross and lived out a long life marrying multiple times and making lots of babies was a bit hard for her to swallow.

Personally, I feel the film helps humanize Christ by making it easier for us to identify with him and his confusion as to his purpose. It shows him struggling with God and taking several false steps in his ministry. In that sense, it focuses more on his humanity than his divinity (I think most Christians tend to focus too much on the latter). By that same measure, the film makes a hero and a very admirable character out of Judas by portraying him as the only disciple to truly understand Jesus and his purpose (sometimes better than Jesus himself) and nevertheless as someone who is very reluctant to help him achieve that fate and losing his friend and leader.

Add an amazing score by Peter Gabriel and you have a great, great film. The DVD itself is top notch Criterion, with a nice selection of bonus material, cool menus, etc.

Considering ordering a couple more (Bicycle Thieves and the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box are calling to me). I'm in position to win the office NCAA Tournament pool, and I'd love to spend my winnings on Criterions. ;) Anyone know when/if the DVD Planet prices are going to change?

[quote name='tholly']You won't be disappointed![/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. I saw it on original video release wayyy back when, and it was awesome. I'd forgotten that it was out on Criterion, so I appreciate you (or whoever it was) reminding me.

Among the three Tati films, if I could only choose one, which would be the best? I can't really decide.

So far I'm grabbing

Branded To Kill
Tokyo Drifter
Amarcord
Spartacus

Ohmahgosh! The 39 Steps on Criterion? I love that film!! :bouncy:

Does anyone know if Barry Lyndon ever had a Criterion release? I can't afford anything right now but it's fun to look.

You know, I'm thinking I'm Criterion-challanged. (I really don't have that many dvds to begin with) and the only criterions I have are Robocop (the scene with Ed209 and Mr Kinney in the boardroom is SOOO overboard in this edition:whistle2:#) and the earlier Criterion of Seven Samurai.

[quote name='Tybee']
- Beauty & the Beast[/quote]
Ohhh, that's such an incredible film. (My Dad gave it as a birthday gift years back on laserdisc, the Janus edition... before Criterion was Criterion. ;) that's one of the few LDs i'm holding on to.)

[quote name='guinaevere']Does anyone know if Barry Lyndon ever had a Criterion release? I can't afford anything right now but it's fun to look. [/quote]

Not on DVD. Not sure about laserdisc.

You know, I'm thinking I'm Criterion-challanged. (I really don't have that many dvds to begin with) and the only criterions I have are Robocop (the scene with Ed209 and Mr Kinney in the boardroom is SOOO overboard in this edition:whistle2:#) and the earlier Criterion of Seven Samurai.

My new Seven Samurai just shipped yesterday. Hang on to Robocop. It's long out of print and worth a nice chunk of change. I wonder if Cheapy has it, given his well-documented Robocop obsession.

It looks like most of the lower prices are still in place at DVD Planet. Haven't checked DDD.

[quote name='Tybee']Not on DVD. Not sure about laserdisc.

My new Seven Samurai just shipped yesterday. Hang on to Robocop. It's long out of print and worth a nice chunk of change. I wonder if Cheapy has it, given his well-documented Robocop obsession.
[/QUOTE]

I think Cheapy said in a CAGcast that he has it. I sold my copy to Brak a few months ago. I'm sure he'll like it a lot more than i did. Plus, I've actually seen a copy before on the shelves after I had it. I regret not picking it up to have 2, but oh well.

And the one thing that sucks about being married is that you can't just buy things anymore. I have money to go crazy on this sale and probably would have. But since my wife sees the DVDs everyday she'll know when I get a new one. Plus, she wants to save for retarded shit like a "house" and "kids." Whatever, i want some DVDs.

[quote name='munch']And the one thing that sucks about being married is that you can't just buy things anymore. I have money to go crazy on this sale and probably would have. But since my wife sees the DVDs everyday she'll know when I get a new one. Plus, she wants to save for retarded shit like a "house" and "kids." Whatever, i want some DVDs.[/quote]

Amen, brother. Trust me, it only gets worse when you actually have the house. ;)

My wife doesn't keep track of what DVDs are on the shelf, but she does keep a close eye on the bank statements, so there's no way to sneak 'em in. :roll:

[quote name='guinaevere']Does anyone know if Barry Lyndon ever had a Criterion release? I can't afford anything right now but it's fun to look.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tybee']Not on DVD. Not sure about laserdisc.
[/QUOTE]

They did not release it on Laserdisc either.

For anyone who may be interested, Criterion's site has complete listings of their releases.

Laserdisc: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/laserdisc_browse.asp
DVD: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/browse.asp

did anyone hear any better info on the rerelease of salo besides the "sometime later this year" that we have been hearing for a while now....

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Among the three Tati films, if I could only choose one, which would be the best? I can't really decide.

So far I'm grabbing

Branded To Kill
Tokyo Drifter
Amarcord
Spartacus[/quote]
Playtime, by far! It's his masterpiece.

And someone mentioned Salo: there's really not a lot of info. besides "....out in 2007". June has just been announced and it's pretty much set in stone that SPOILER Ace in the Hole, Les Enfants Terribles and Ivan's Childhood/SPOILER are dropping in July, so....probably August at the earliest.

[quote name='Tybee']My new Seven Samurai just shipped yesterday. Hang on to Robocop. It's long out of print and worth a nice chunk of change. [/quote]I'm definately not parting with it, but not because of what it's worth monitarily. It's one of my first dvd purchases and as a movie, it's one of my favorite 80s films. And by that I don't just mean that it came out in the 80s, but it encapsulates the 80s so nicely. Plus it's funny, is completely over the top AND it has robots.

[quote name='munch']she wants to save for retarded shit like a "house" and "kids." Whatever, i want some DVDs.[/quote]Next she'll be wanting food and clothes for those kids, too. Honestly, some people have no idea how to get their priorities straight. :lol:

[quote name='Detective Thorn']They did not release it on Laserdisc either.

For anyone who may be interested, Criterion's site has complete listings of their releases.

Laserdisc: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/laserdisc_browse.asp
DVD: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/browse.asp[/quote]That's just crazy. That movie was beautiful from a film standpoint. The lighting was 100% natural IIRC. Not that that's everything going for the movie, obviously. It's just something I remember about it.

And thanks for the links. =)

edit: It's fun going through the lists. Looks like The Day the Earth Stood Still hasn't been done on ld or dvd.

The Third Man has, and I'd like to have that on criterion, but I already have it under (non-criterion) Der dritte Mann.

Cool, Gimme Shelter that would be great to pick up someday.
(...that reminds me, I know I saw Mick Jagger in some old 60s or 70s film... Performance something or other, but I can't remember and no one ever knows what I'm talking about. Anyone here know what movie that was?)

And it looks like Criterion re-did Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast as a true criterion on LD. I'm curious if my ld of the classic/janus collection is worth anything or nothing at all because of that.

[quote name='guinaevere'](...that reminds me, I know I saw Mick Jagger in some old 60s or 70s film... Performance something or other, but I can't remember and no one ever knows what I'm talking about. Anyone here know what movie that was?)
[/QUOTE]

According to imdb.com, the name of the movie was Performance: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066214/

[quote name='munch']I think Cheapy said in a CAGcast that he has it. I sold my copy to Brak a few months ago. I'm sure he'll like it a lot more than i did. Plus, I've actually seen a copy before on the shelves after I had it. I regret not picking it up to have 2, but oh well.[/QUOTE]
I love the Orwellian / retro-future hybrid. ;)

I'm not really a fan of sci-fi... but I love the fact that Robocop is a sci-fi that takes place in Detroit, Michigan.

(Funny thing is: Detroit is actually far worse than it was depicted in Robocop. You won't see any bi-pedal mechs running rampant, or anything... but you'll see grave robbers digging up corpses so they can pillage their rings and necklaces.)

Edit: I actually forgot to take part in this sale. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Brak']Edit: I actually forgot to take part in this sale. :whistle2:([/quote]

As of this reply, DVD Planet prices are still the same as the DDD sale prices. And you're better off ordering from them because you can use coupons and Google checkout, plus they have a free shipping option.

Go nuts. ;)

bread's done
Back