Humble Bundle Thread

I like Unholy Heights ! Got it during the Steam Winter sale and actually played it right away. And I went crazy and got the level 5 badge.. Sad seeing the card prices at <$.10 right now. oh well!
I played it for a good three hours, so I got my money's worth. I must confess I don't feel like I was very good at the game as progress was very slow. It's sort of charming, but weird when you really think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, anybody willing to split the Japan bundle with me? Mitsurugi Kamui Ikae is the only game I want, and I'll put 1,5 PayPal bucks for it  :bouncy:

FWIW Ys Origin was made for the PC so there's no worries about it being a wonky port or anything like that.

It's a solid little ARPG where you get to see things from the viewpoints of a few different characters. It's a bit different than the other Ys games because of that and you really don't have to have played them, though there are some references to Ys Book I & II as this is essentially the back story to that.

It's also unique in that this one never did make it to consoles.

I like Unholy Heights ! Got it during the Steam Winter sale and actually played it right away. And I went crazy and got the level 5 badge.. Sad seeing the card prices at <$.10 right now. oh well!
I played it for a good three hours, so I got my money's worth. I must confess I don't feel like I was very good at the game as progress was very slow. It's sort of charming, but weird when you really think about it.
See I didn't really care for Unholy Heights. I wanted to like it but it just came of like some slow paced lame Facebook game or something to me. Like Laney, Utopian Machine on the other hand loved it to death. And we usually have the same taste in cutesy little games but not this time. *shrug*

For this sort of game, I prefered Love Hotel on Desura, hipster pixels and scanlines and all. And it's free. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdMAjzM3OmU

Didn't get the BTA version of the Squeenix bundle, but I see that Deus Ex: the Fall is 99¢ in the app store. It's getting trashed on the steam forums, but a lot of love in the review section of the app store. WHO DO I BELIEVE?? Is it worth a buck? If it is, then my OCD tendencies will want Deus Ex GOTY and Invisible War too :(

Didn't get the BTA version of the Squeenix bundle, but I see that Deus Ex: the Fall is 99¢ in the app store. It's getting trashed on the steam forums, but a lot of love in the review section of the app store. WHO DO I BELIEVE?? Is it worth a buck? If it is, then my OCD tendencies will want Deus Ex GOTY and Invisible War too :(
Oh, I haven't played it yet but all the CAGs you interview will tell you that both of these opinions are basically correct: it's good for a crappy phone game but it's basically a crappy phone game that's now on Steam. People who only play games on phones and tablets (a staggering majority, I suspect) don't really know any better because this is all there is in their gaming ecosystem.

OTOH, the original Deus Ex gets rave reviews from real gamers (I've only played the first level myself, several years ago) and Invisible War is considered to be a considerably inferior sequel with a simplified upgrade system.

Oh, I haven't played it yet but all the CAGs you interview will tell you that both of these opinions are basically correct: it's good for a crappy phone game but it's basically a crappy phone game that's now on Steam. People who only play games on phones and tablets (a staggering majority, I suspect) don't really know any better because this is all there is in their gaming ecosystem.

OTOH, the original Deus Ex gets rave reviews from real gamers (I've only played the first level myself, several years ago) and Invisible War is considered to be a considerably inferior sequel with a simplified upgrade system.
OK, I figured these were "Knuckle dragging mouth breather ipad game reviews" ;)

I've played the original Deus Ex on Playstation 2 and PC, and I've never been able to bring myself to finish it. I guess it just hasn't aged well for me. Tempted to give it another shot if I can get it for $1 or so.

What about Deus Ex: Human Revolution? You didn't mention it and that's a great game in the series.

I remember hearing the port job is awful, and, of course, Steam users hate mobile ports with a passion, even when they're well done. Evidently the iOS version reviewed well, though.

FWIW Ys Origin was made for the PC so there's no worries about it being a wonky port or anything like that.

It's a solid little ARPG where you get to see things from the viewpoints of a few different characters. It's a bit different than the other Ys games because of that and you really don't have to have played them, though there are some references to Ys Book I & II as this is essentially the back story to that.

It's also unique in that this one never did make it to consoles.
Alright. That's mainly what I was concerned about. Most of the times I don't buy the PC version of games if there's a console one, but if Origin works great on the PC, then I'll get it from Humble Bundle. Thanks :)

New Humble Store Daily Deal:

Other Humble Store sales:

The Japanese bundle is really good.  I bought One Way Heroics during the summer sale and loved it.  Now I'm playing Unholy Heights and loving that too.  Lots of value in this bundle.

You guys replay your games too much. Only people with small or nonexistent backlogs should do that. Don't make me get my old man stick out again.
While I also don't replay many games, it should be up to the gamer to decide if they want to replay it.

One game I always seem to replay, yet never finish (probably b/c new unofficial patches get released, I normally re-start then) is Vampire: Bloodlines.

I love that game to the final + true death.

I have gone through it 2 or 3 times, IIRC.

I'd have to check my saves - and see what I have.

Yes, I back-up my saves in folders, labeled as either "done" or "incomplete" for reminders.

EDIT:

Looks like I been through it twice.

While I also don't replay many games, it should be up to the gamer to decide if they want to replay it.

One game I always seem to replay, yet never finish (probably b/c new unofficial patches get released, I normally re-start then) is Vampire: Bloodlines.

I have gone through it 2 or 3 times, IIRC.

I'd have to check my saves - and see what I have.

Yes, I back-up my saves in folders, labeled as either "done" or "incomplete" for reminders.

EDIT:

Looks like I been through it twice.
I WISH I could play the copy I bought, but I still have issues with mine. It have sound skipping issues. I've tried all sorts of patches and settings, but I can seem to get it to run smoothly on my Windows 8 machine.

I wonder if the digital version from Gamefly is flawed, or if it's incompatible with my machine?

I WISH I could play the copy I bought, but I still have issues with mine. It have sound skipping issues. I've tried all sorts of patches and settings, but I can seem to get it to run smoothly on my Windows 8 machine.

I wonder if the digital version from Gamefly is flawed, or if it's incompatible with my machine?

I think that game has a lot of issues on any kind of system; it wasn't exactly stable on release. There are some unofficial patches that should help.

It was mostly a joke, toaster. But, like KOTOR 2, I never finished Bloodlines because the end felt too grindy.

I got Vampire: Bloodlines running fine on my weak Win 8 laptop (retail box version).

Your sound-issue is a common issue, no matter what version you own of.

See here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2600/discussions/0/666824801042625665/

Did you try to disable High Quality Sound?

Try that - that could help.

Also, do NOT play any of the music that sits in the actual Bloodlines game-folder.

Doing that can screw the game-up when you run the game, for some reason.

Copy the music elsewhere, if you wanna listen to it.

And - you probably should copy the music-folder elsewhere, if you want to listen to it. A lot of awesome licensed music (Lacuna Coil "Swamped"; "Isolated" by Chiasm, etc); and there's a really great (instrumental) score from Womb Music, as well.

I think that game has a lot of issues on any kind of system; it wasn't exactly stable on release. There are some unofficial patches that should help.

It was mostly a joke, toaster. But, like KOTOR 2, I never finished Bloodlines because the end felt too grindy.
I think if there's 1 complaint many have about Bloodlines - by the last 1/3rd of the game, if you ain't sunk much points into any weapon skills or skills dealing w/ action-elements - prepare to be screwed. The game literally becomes into an action-fest.

You can get by a fair deal of the game (first 2/3rds w/ barely sinking points into action skills) by doing some combat and a good deal of talking.

KOTOR 2 - yep, last 1/3rd (in the vanilla game without using the restore mod)...the game turns into an action-fest; and the story + characters jump off a cliff somewhere. Damn LucasArts pushed the game-out way too early - and didn't give Obsidian time to develop the rest of the story.

I got Vampire: Bloodlines running fine on my weak Win 8 laptop (retail box version).

Your sound-issue is a common issue, no matter what version you own of.

See here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/2600/discussions/0/666824801042625665/

Did you try to disable High Quality Sound?
Try that - that could help.

Also, do NOT play any of the music that sits in the actual Bloodlines game-folder.
Doing that can screw the game-up when you run the game, for some reason.
Copy the music elsewhere, if you wanna listen to it.

And - you probably should copy the music-folder elsewhere, if you want to listen to it. A lot of awesome licensed music (Lacuna Coil "Swamped"; "Isolated" by Chiasm, etc); and there's a really great (instrumental) score from Womb Music, as well.
Heh, and that's my original post in Steam you linked, which never solved the issue. I worked on it last night, and tried everything. I turned off high quality sound. I installed the unofficial patch. I played in windowed mode. I can only set it for a few compatibility modes. For some reason, the gamefly version does not allow me direct control over which OS compatibility it uses in properties.

I found a link that describes my issue perfectly:

http://fileforums.com/archive/index.php/t-69274.html

The poster seems to have found the solution:

"Nforce™ Audio Users: Some Nforce™ Audio Users may find that they may experience some sound problems while playing Bloodlines. Users who experience this problem should try two things:

- In the Options menu be sure to uncheck the "High Quality Audio" and "Environmental Effects" options.

- Be sure that your DirectSound® acceleration is set to "Basic." You can do this by following these steps:

1.) Click on the Windows® "Start" button.
2.) Click on the "Run" option on your Start Menu.
3.) Type "dxdiag" in the Run Dialogue Box without the quotes.
4.) Once the DirectX® Diagnostic Tool has finished running, click on the "Sound" tab.
5.) Turn the "Hardware Acceleration Level" down to "Basic.""

I can't figure out how to set Hardware Accerleration Level to "Basic" on my machine. I have Windows 8. I'm jot even sure if my PC uses that.

I just wanna play this game :(

Here's an example of what's happening (ignore the initial framerate. That's just my capture program being lame. This sound skipping is the part to pay attention to):

http://youtu.be/HIxyvG5Q6OQ

You guys replay your games too much. Only people with small or nonexistent backlogs should do that. Don't make me get my old man stick out again.
Honestly, though, I miss the days of replaying games for mastery or exploration or completion. Nowadays I feel like I can only spend enough time on a game to get the base level of enjoyment, because I've not enough time for too many games. Maybe 10 years of CAGing have taken a toll.*

I remember playing Chrono Cross four times to get all of the playable characters in a single playthrough (it only takes three playthroughs to do this, but I messed one of them up), and even though I can't imagine doing something like that now, I feel that it was worth making multiple passes at the game to extract every drop of enjoyment.

* I jest. CAG4lyfe.

Honestly, though, I miss the days of replaying games for mastery or exploration or completion. Nowadays I feel like I can only spend enough time on a game to get the base level of enjoyment, because I've not enough time for too many games.
You only have your older, weaker self to blame.

Yeah, I should have gotten more gaming in when I was young.  I didn't realize at the time that youthful vigor is needed for proficiency at sitting on a couch and playing video games.

I used to replay games so much when I was little, probably because I didn't like asking my parents to buy me new games or I didn't really mind the repetition and maybe I just had a better appreciation for games.  The old days =(

[Sound Issues on Bloodlines on Win 8]

Heh, and that's my original post in Steam you linked, which never solved the issue. I worked on it last night, and tried everything. I turned off high quality sound. I installed the unofficial patch. I played in windowed mode. I can only set it for a few compatibility modes. For some reason, the gamefly version does not allow me direct control over which OS compatibility it uses in properties.

I found a link that describes my issue perfectly:

http://fileforums.com/archive/index.php/t-69274.html

The poster seems to have found the solution:

"Nforce™ Audio Users: Some Nforce™ Audio Users may find that they may experience some sound problems while playing Bloodlines. Users who experience this problem should try two things:

- In the Options menu be sure to uncheck the "High Quality Audio" and "Environmental Effects" options.

- Be sure that your DirectSound® acceleration is set to "Basic." You can do this by following these steps:

1.) Click on the Windows® "Start" button.
2.) Click on the "Run" option on your Start Menu.
3.) Type "dxdiag" in the Run Dialogue Box without the quotes.
4.) Once the DirectX® Diagnostic Tool has finished running, click on the "Sound" tab.
5.) Turn the "Hardware Acceleration Level" down to "Basic.""

I can't figure out how to set Hardware Accerleration Level to "Basic" on my machine. I have Windows 8. I'm jot even sure if my PC uses that.

I just wanna play this game :(
HardWare Acceleration setting I think were killed by WIndows Vista.

Not sure if there's another way to do so, these days.

In the old days (Win XP + before) - you'd open DXDiag; switch to Sound section; + then control the sound's hardware acceleration levels however you liked.

EDIT:

Does your NForce Audio have a control panel or software program?

If yes - is there a setting for sound acceleration?

You might wanna check + see if it does - b/c if it does, check to see if you can force it to a lower acceleration or maybe even off through there.

Mitsuguri looks a bit boring
Prude.

I didn't realize Lacuna Coil was on there, I really like them. Shame Claudio (the guitarist) died though. :\

You don't come across many games that embrace goth genres of music. I really love that about VTMB.

Honestly, though, I miss the days of replaying games for mastery or exploration or completion. Nowadays I feel like I can only spend enough time on a game to get the base level of enjoyment, because I've not enough time for too many games. Maybe 10 years of CAGing have taken a toll.*

I remember playing Chrono Cross four times to get all of the playable characters in a single playthrough (it only takes three playthroughs to do this, but I messed one of them up), and even though I can't imagine doing something like that now, I feel that it was worth making multiple passes at the game to extract every drop of enjoyment.

* I jest. CAG4lyfe.
+1

I didn't realize Lacuna Coil was on there, I really like them. Shame Claudio (the guitarist) died though. :\

You don't come across many games that embrace goth genres of music. I really love that about VTMB.
Really sucks about Claudio, yeah. :(

"Swamped" (which is also on their Comalies LP) is the Lacuna Coil song on V:TM-BL.

And yes - V:TM-BL did a great job w/ embracing both licensed + a traditional type of score.

For what licensed songs are in the game, look here + click spoilers below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade_%E2%80%93_Bloodlines#Music

# Title Artist(s) Length

1. "Bloodlines" Ministry 7:16

2. "Come Alive" Daniel Ash 5:55

3. "Cain" Tiamat 5:27

4. "Swamped" Lacuna Coil 4:02

5. "Isolated" Chiasm 5:17

6. "Needle's Eye" Die My Darling 3:55

7. "Pound" AERIAL2012 5:32

8. "Lecher B***h" Genitorturers 4:15

9. "Smaller God" Darling Violetta 4:25

Total Length = 46:04

HardWare Acceleration setting I think were killed by WIndows Vista.
Not sure if there's another way to do so, these days.

In the old days (Win XP + before) - you'd open DXDiag; switch to Sound section; + then control the sound's hardware acceleration levels however you liked.

EDIT:
Does your NForce Audio have a control panel or software program?
If yes - is there a setting for sound acceleration?

You might wanna check + see if it does - b/c if it does, check to see if you can force it to a lower acceleration or maybe even off through there.
I don't even know if I have Nforce audio :(

I don't even know if I have Nforce audio :(
Well, you need to find out what you have for Audio!

This way - if it had a program to play w/ audio's accelration - you can force it down or off, if need be.

I have RealTek - and I've not had problems w/ Vamp: BL on Win 7 desktop or my weak Win 8 laptop.

If you haven't yet - you need to make sure you install one of the Unofficial Patches (Wesp's or Tess's).

Pretty much - it's required to even get the game running on Win 7 + 8.

Running the game as is w/ no Unofficial Patches on Win 7 or 8 is not recommend.

You're likely going to have all kinds of issues.

EDIT:

Since this is an older game + you're likely running this on modern OS w/ multiple core processors - did you think of setting the Affinity to one core (instead of multiples)?

You could try to boot the game - and force it to run on one core via Task Manager, if need be:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/24086-processor-affinity-set-applications-windows-8-a.html

Or get a program that forces whatever game/app/program you select to have desired settings anytime for a certain Affinity.

Well, you need to find out what you have for Audio!
This way - if it had a program to play w/ audio's accelration - you can force it down or off, if need be.

I have RealTek - and I've not had problems w/ Vamp: BL on Win 7 desktop or my weak Win 8 laptop.

If you haven't yet - you need to make sure you install one of the Unofficial Patches (Wesp's or Tess's).
Pretty much - it's required to even get the game running on Win 7 + 8.
Running the game as is w/ no Unofficial Patches on Win 7 or 8 is not recommend.
You're likely going to have all kinds of issues.

EDIT:
Since this is an older game + you're likely running this on modern OS w/ multiple core processors - did you think of setting the Affinity to one core (instead of multiples)?

You could try to boot the game - and force it to run on one core via Task Manager, if need be:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/24086-processor-affinity-set-applications-windows-8-a.html

Or get a program that forces whatever game/app/program you select to have desired settings anytime for a certain Affinity.
I have Realtek as well :(

And I'm afraid changing the affinity did nothing :( Thanks anyway :)

I got to channel the spirit I had when I played games when I was younger. Beat so many games, heck I made it a day of having a Sonic 2 marathon, or playing through Sunset Riders, or even Bubsy haha. It was all good.

You all just need to trade PC gaming for console. By the time a new release is console cheap, you should have played through everything you own at least 3 times =p.

I have Realtek as well :(

And I'm afraid changing the affinity did nothing :( Thanks anyway :)
Okay, since you have RealTek - how many speakers you have set-up + what are you using for sound?

For some games - especially older-titles - I have to take my 5.1 surround sound setting + just have to switch it over to Stereo (2 speakers) - b/c output ain't sounding right to me, it ain't playing sounds in the right speaker, not playing sounds in a speaker at all, or whatever the hell the case may be. God knows.

I do run Bloodlines w/ 2 speakers stereo on RealTek's Sound Manager, not 5.1.

Same used to go for Half-Life 2, as well - I've always had issues w/ Source Engine games playing sounds properly w/ 5 speakers set-ups.

EDIT:

Okay, I just found something - dunno if this'll help you (depends on your speaker set-up), but it might be worth a shot.

This is supposedly a fix for the surround sound issues w/ Bloodlines:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326720

I ain't tested it yet - but I'm damn curious, so I will try it when everybody in this house here is awake.

Always backup a copy of any of your original config-files (usually they are named .cfg or .ini files) before doing anything to them.

Sometimes - modding untested, unsupported and/or unofficial stuff can break your game; might work for some set-ups, might not work for others.

Use at own risk.

Since sounds ain't working properly for you, might not be much of a risk here.

snd_mixahead 0.35
snd_surround 1
snd_gain 2.2
snd_gain_max 1.58
dsp_on 1
dsp_spatial 73
dsp_stereo 1
dsp_dist_max 9999
hisound 1

footstep_pc_vol 0.31
// footstep_npc_use_templates 0

volume "0.930000"
Put this in your user.cfg file(or edit the settings already there), save, and then right click on it and make it "Read Only", hit apply, and go in-game. You cannot change any controls like this though, until you make it non-read only.

The reason for read only is the game automatically over-writes the new lines with the old ones, unless it's read only, then it can't change them. Doing this made the sound give proper Surround Sound, at least, for me, so I suggest anyone who thought the sound did not sound "just right", check this out. I used it, and I have a 5.1 setup, worked wonders.

Okay, since you have RealTek - how many speakers you have set-up + what are you using for sound?

For some games - especially older-titles - I have to take my 5.1 surround sound setting + just have to switch it over to Stereo (2 speakers) - b/c output ain't sounding right to me, it ain't playing sounds in the right speaker, not playing sounds in a speaker at all, or whatever the hell the case may be. God knows.

I do run Bloodlines w/ 2 speakers stereo on RealTek's Sound Manager, not 5.1.
Same used to go for Half-Life 2, as well - I've always had issues w/ Source Engine games playing sounds properly w/ 5 speakers set-ups.

EDIT:
Okay, I just found something - dunno if this'll help you (depends on your speaker set-up), but it might be worth a shot.

This is supposedly a fix for the surround sound issues w/ Bloodlines:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326720

I ain't tested it yet - but I'm damn curious, so I will try it when everybody in this house here is awake.

Always backup a copy of any of your original config-files (usually they are named .cfg or .ini files) before doing anything to them.
Sometimes - modding untested, unsupported and/or unofficial stuff can break your game; might work for some set-ups, might not work for others.
Use at own risk.
Since sounds ain't working properly for you, might not be much of a risk here.

Well apparently, it's not my sound. Check this link, and read the "Stuttering" part.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_3.html

It describes exactly how my game acts. Things go well until I come across a new character.

bread's done
Back