Humble Bundle Thread

[quote name="Souffrir" post="11998271" timestamp="1407710034"]I think you're just doing it wrong. I still have PlayStation 1 backlog.[/quote]

Now that you say that...so do I!!! I really need to finish Legend of Dragoon and start Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, among others.

I have GameCube games I need to play/finish, too. (Where is my GameCube?)

I had forgotten about these. I hate you for bringing this up...

Big deal. I still need to finish my Link to the Past game.
Well, if you really wanna get into it, I own Atari 2600 games that I haven't even touched (though to be fair, these are on my iPod).

I never did finish Tetris on Gameboy, either. :whee:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never did finish Tetris on Gameboy, either. :whee:
I never finished Amazing Penguin.

I did actually finish Legend of Zelda though. No Googling, drew up my own maps as I went and everything. That's a gaming experience everyone should do at least once.

I never finished Amazing Penguin.

I did actually finish Legend of Zelda though. No Googling, drew up my own maps as I went and everything. That's a gaming experience everyone should do at least once.
Zelda 2 was a real pain in the ass before the internet. I actually liked the game and played it a bunch but I was stuck trying to find some of the hidden things for a long time.

Zelda 2 was a real pain in the ass before the internet. I actually liked the game and played it a bunch but I was stuck trying to find some of the hidden things for a long time.
Yeah, 2 was tough. I got relatively far but gave up at some point. Never tried using a walkthrough though, I should just play a ROM of it sometime and finish it.

And - you probably should copy the music-folder elsewhere, if you want to listen to it. A lot of awesome licensed music (Lacuna Coil "Swamped"; "Isolated" by Chiasm, etc); and there's a really great (instrumental) score from Womb Music, as well.
I like "Isolated" despite the fact that that sort of goth-trance music is not generally my cup of tea. That was always the one standout track in that game for me. I think whoever was in charge of the soundtrack for that game did an excellent job of matching the music to the mood of the story.

I think if there's 1 complaint many have about Bloodlines - by the last 1/3rd of the game, if you ain't sunk much points into any weapon skills or skills dealing w/ action-elements - prepare to be screwed. The game literally becomes into an action-fest.

You can get by a fair deal of the game (first 2/3rds w/ barely sinking points into action skills) by doing some combat and a good deal of talking.

KOTOR 2 - yep, last 1/3rd (in the vanilla game without using the restore mod)...the game turns into an action-fest; and the story + characters jump off a cliff somewhere. Damn LucasArts pushed the game-out way too early - and didn't give Obsidian time to develop the rest of the story.
I finished Bloodlines (that is to say, I got tired and gave up) long before any of the unofficial mods that are supposed to address a lot of its issues were making the rounds--same thing with KOTOR 2, which is a shame in some ways because I thought those were some really great Star Wars games.

Honestly, though, I miss the days of replaying games for mastery or exploration or completion. Nowadays I feel like I can only spend enough time on a game to get the base level of enjoyment, because I've not enough time for too many games. Maybe 10 years of CAGing have taken a toll.*
Well, to each his own, but I really feel at this point that if I spend a lot of time replaying a game, I'm missing out on games in my backlog that I will otherwise never have time to pursue. Also, I do tend to play most games for the story so replays lose much of their appeal in that context--only games like DA:O where actually playing as a different character feels different, opens different relationship possibilities, and allows you to take the story in different directions or The Witcher 2 where you can essentially skip massive amounts of story content depending on some of your in-game choices really demand replays, in my mind. However, in a world where people spend hundreds (or thousands) of hours playing and replaying Borderlands 2 or Skyrim, I'm clearly in something of a minority.

I guess the irony for some folks is that when they get older and have access to more games (because as adults many of us have sufficient wealth to be able to buy a variety of games--and also because some of us are really cheap and can score a ton of games on the cheap with the advent of Steam sales and bundles) but because we're adults we have greater responsibilities and less free time for playing games than when we had access to a smaller range of games.

You all just need to trade PC gaming for console. By the time a new release is console cheap, you should have played through everything you own at least 3 times =p.
It's funny because even old school console gaming where people would play Super Mario Brothers a thousand times is alien to me. I had a Commodore 64 and, when I got sick of a game, I'd pop onto a BBS and download a different one*. Usually some import from Europe with a flashing pre-game intro scene and rockin' SID music and a crawl saying:

"Welcome to ALIEN BLASTER II by HACKERSOFT!!! Trainer provided by HACKERSOFT .... HACKERSOFT owns all other hackers and is most elite!! Special greets to Haxxasaurus, Disk-Blaster, Tiny Tony, LighjtningWarrior and DRAGONSOFT!!! Loser Greets to Ninjawarez and BITlord (lozerzzz!!!!)...."

Anyway, Master Race gaming since the 80's, console suckers.

*I'm not condoning pirating but the past is the past so might as well remember it accurately.

In my day, if we got stuck on a game we had to call a Nintendo or Sega help line that was actually staffed by people in the US (yes call center reps in the US existed at one point in time). You damned kids have it easy. *shakes cane*

It's funny because even old school console gaming where people would play Super Mario Brothers a thousand times is alien to me. I had a Commodore 64 and, when I got sick of a game, I'd pop onto a BBS and download a different one*. Usually some import from Europe with a flashing pre-game intro scene and rockin' SID music and a crawl saying:

"Welcome to ALIEN BLASTER II by HACKERSOFT!!! Trainer provided by HACKERSOFT .... HACKERSOFT owns all other hackers and is most elite!! Special greets to Haxxasaurus, Disk-Blaster, Tiny Tony, LighjtningWarrior and DRAGONSOFT!!! Loser Greets to Ninjawarez and BITlord (lozerzzz!!!!)...."

Anyway, Master Race gaming since the 80's, console suckers.

*I'm not condoning pirating but the past is the past so might as well remember it accurately.
That's some old school shit. SE was into digital downloads before digital downloads was cool.

Did you play the original Giana Sisters?

I did!

My cousin was all "Blah, blah Super Mario Brothers" and I was like "Check this out" and he was like "No way, those are girls that's gay".

Hard hitting 1980's video games journalism.

I think you're just doing it wrong. I still have PlayStation 1 backlog.
I have a PS2 backlog, but that's due to buying a bunch of games once the market for PS2 games crashed. I've barely got a backlog for PS3 though, waiting for those prices to crash into the $3-$5 range as well (for used).

However, in a world where people spend hundreds (or thousands) of hours playing and replaying Borderlands 2 or Skyrim, I'm clearly in something of a minority.
I'm generally of like mind, in that I don't replay games very much, for the very reasons you listed. This is especially true of games that offer little more than a higher degree of difficulty in subsequent playthroughs.

However, if I truly enjoy the gameplay mechanics or setting I'll sink a tremendous amount of time into those titles. Some examples would be Borderlands/2 or Skyrim. I'd argue that your experience can change with replays in these games, thanks to character classes and choice of a vast amount of optional content.

However, if I truly enjoy the gameplay mechanics or setting I'll sink a tremendous amount of time into those titles. Some examples would be Borderlands/2 or Skyrim. I'd argue that your experience can change with replays in these games, thanks to character classes and choice of a vast amount of optional content.
While I can agree with this to a certain extent, I tend to include DLC that I want to play in my first go-round, and the only game in recent memory where playing a different character truly felt like a different experience to me was Dragon Age: Origins because each of the different Wardens had a distinctive origin story and "place" in the society of Ferelden. In most other RPGs, a different character class usually just means that the combat is more or less difficult, depending on your chosen class. I'm very curious to see whether Inquisition lives up to what PC gamers really wanted from a Dragon Age sequel. I will say that, from the preview videos I've seen, it looks like BioWare may have nailed the combat at least.

Personally (and I know everyone's a bit sick of my Borderlands opinions by now), I always felt that Gearbox oversold the role-playing elements in that series. It's not really any more of a role-playing game than any other shooter with skill trees. Does it do shooting things and blowing things up pretty well? Aside from a few odd gameplay foibles, yes, it does, but it's certainly not a "role-playing shooter," which is how Pitchford sold the first one. I think they eased off of that a tad for the sequel, just basically marketing it as exactly what it is, which is more Borderlands.

Well, to each his own, but I really feel at this point that if I spend a lot of time replaying a game, I'm missing out on games in my backlog that I will otherwise never have time to pursue. Also, I do tend to play most games for the story so replays lose much of their appeal in that context--only games like DA:O where actually playing as a different character feels different, opens different relationship possibilities, and allows you to take the story in different directions or The Witcher 2 where you can essentially skip massive amounts of story content depending on some of your in-game choices really demand replays, in my mind. However, in a world where people spend hundreds (or thousands) of hours playing and replaying Borderlands 2 or Skyrim, I'm clearly in something of a minority.
For me, the fun of replaying a game is that I don't need to concentrate on the core gameplay and story, so I'm free to pay attention to background details like scenery and obscure subplots and optional play styles and tactics.

Sometimes I actually enjoy a game more the second time through for these reasons, e.g., MGS3.

In my day, if we got stuck on a game we had to call a Nintendo or Sega help line that was actually staffed by people in the US (yes call center reps in the US existed at one point in time). You damned kids have it easy. *shakes cane*
My parents would've killed me for calling a toll number. Nintendo Power FTW!

While I can agree with this to a certain extent, I tend to include DLC that I want to play in my first go-round, and the only game in recent memory where playing a different character truly felt like a different experience to me was Dragon Age: Origins because each of the different Wardens had a distinctive origin story and "place" in the society of Ferelden. In most other RPGs, a different character class usually just means that the combat is more or less difficult, depending on your chosen class...
The only problem with that (for Borderlands) is that doing all the optional content would have you severely over-leveled. You're better off doing multiple playthroughs choosing new optional stuff each time.

Where story is concerned, you're right, Borderlands is the same no matter who you play (apart from some minor dialogue). The biggest difference is in the way each class plays, and I'd argue that the differences are much more significant than most games. Maya, Gaige, and Krieg are all quite unique.

Personally (and I know everyone's a bit sick of my Borderlands opinions by now), I always felt that Gearbox oversold the role-playing elements in that series...
Yeah, totally agreed. The closest it comes to an RPG is in item management.

Zelda 2 is one of my most-favorite games on NES. The game does a pretty decent job of guiding you around while still leaving secrets to discover. I remember reading some glossy-magazine guide at the time, and still recalling that information years later.

I guess the irony for some folks is that when they get older and have access to more games (because as adults many of us have sufficient wealth to be able to buy a variety of games--and also because some of us are really cheap and can score a ton of games on the cheap with the advent of Steam sales and bundles) but because we're adults we have greater responsibilities and less free time for playing games than when we had access to a smaller range of games.
funny-reality-time-money-energy-young-adult-old-pictures-images-photos.jpg

Personally (and I know everyone's a bit sick of my Borderlands opinions by now), I always felt that Gearbox oversold the role-playing elements in that series. It's not really any more of a role-playing game than any other shooter with skill trees.
The "Diablo with Guns" marketing stuck with me, and is actually quite accurate. Any game that claims to have "RPG elements" but isn't a cRPG, usually just means a small skill tree or dialog choices. Defender's Quest (TD) has skill trees (RPG element) that make your playthrough unique, but it's very firmly a TD game.

I feel like I pulled from all three decks and ended up with the worse of all possible worlds <sigh>.

[background=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.027451)]The "Diablo with Guns" marketing stuck with me, and is actually quite accurate. Any game that claims to have "RPG elements" but isn't a cRPG, usually just means a small skill tree or dialog choices. Defender's Quest (TD) has skill trees (RPG element) that make your playthrough unique, but it's very firmly a TD game.[/background]
Hm. I distinctly remember the first game being loudly declaimed in PC Gamer as "the world's first role-playing shooter" which was a bunch of nonsense then and still is. However, I agree that "Diablo with Guns" is a more accurate characterization of the gameplay.

New Humble Flash Bundle - Artifex Mundi:

• Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
  • Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden
Beat the Average for:

• 9 Clues: The Secret of Serpent Creek
  • Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren's Call
Pay $6 or more for:

• Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood
Humble Store Daily Deal:

Other Humble Store sales:

Artifex Mundi make some of the best HOGs I've ever played. Way higher production values than most of the shovelware that makes up the genre. Definitely recommend them if you have any interest in the genre but want something that actually seems worth spending money on.

I wrote a review for Abyss (which is basically Bioshock the HOG) if anyone cares: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrninjasquirrel/recommended/284710?snr=1_5_9__402

New Humble Flash Bundle - Artifex Mundi:
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart has been in four bundles, notably Indie Gala Capsule Computers 1 and Halloween 2 Indie Royale.

Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden has been in two Indie Galas - Monday B5 and Encore.

Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren's Call was in Indie Royale's Donut Bundle.

And 9 Clues and Enigmatis have not been bundled previously.

Someone wake up Motoki, this looks like it's right up his alley.
I own half already and the other half will certainly be bundled cheaper elsewhere.

The obscure Polish (as in the whole site's literally just in Polish) Artifex Mundi bundle that ran recently was a better deal with 3 not before bundled games at $1.65. If they come through with the promised Steam keys once (if) they get those games on Steam of course.

I own half already and the other half will certainly be bundled cheaper elsewhere.

The obscure Polish (as in the whole site's literally just in Polish) Artifex Mundi bundle that ran recently was a better deal with 3 not before bundled games at $1.65. If they come through with the promised Steam keys once (if) they get those games on Steam of course.
I should've picked that one up, darn my poorness.

Meh, they'll be bundled again. I'd rather get them at a bundle site I trust.
2polish4u

Also by then the card prices will suck , though I've no doubt you'd catch the one person left who was oblivious that it was in a bundle and willing to pay way too much for old lady game cards before the bundle hoardes get their sales up.

I feel like I pulled from all three decks and ended up with the worse of all possible worlds <sigh>.

Hm. I distinctly remember the first game being loudly declaimed in PC Gamer as "the world's first role-playing shooter" which was a bunch of nonsense then and still is. However, I agree that "Diablo with Guns" is a more accurate characterization of the gameplay.
IMHO, the term RPG is very generic. So many different game-types are now even incorporating some elements found in RPG's.

There are two elements in games that I find in games normally labeled RPG's.

1. Character "Stat + Skill" building - this depends on your character's actual level #, stat #'s, skills, perks, and anything else of that sort.

ARPG's like Diablo series, Torchlight series do this in the EXTREME - where it's basically based off this for most of the game; and don't give you even a small percentage of the 2nd element.

2. "Decision making" - this depends on when given a choice by the game, your decision can completely matter. This decision can change the game-world, its inhabitants, final result of an actual quest, and/or maybe even can have an impact on the game's actual final ending(s).

BioWare RPG's + CD Projekt's Witcher series rely heavily on this.

RPG's will normally mix both of these elements.

Whatever the percentage of each used - well, that can vary from game-to-game + series-to-series.

ARPG's normally lean to mostly RPG element #1; and not normally aim for element #2.

Some ARPG's like Silverfall + Earth Awakening expansion - they still heavily rely on element #1, but they have a small bit more of element #2 than your typical ARPG.

Meh, they'll be bundled again. I'd rather get them at a bundle site I trust.
Spoder, were your senses tingling when you sold that copy of Nightmares from the Deep The Siren's Call?

I am just joking with you but I found it funny that I just bought the game yesterday to have it in a bundle today.

I wish this included some music but I am just looking at buying 3 games for $6 since I have 2 already, not great but not bad.

Okay, since you have RealTek - how many speakers you have set-up + what are you using for sound?

For some games - especially older-titles - I have to take my 5.1 surround sound setting + just have to switch it over to Stereo (2 speakers) - b/c output ain't sounding right to me, it ain't playing sounds in the right speaker, not playing sounds in a speaker at all, or whatever the hell the case may be. God knows.

I do run Bloodlines w/ 2 speakers stereo on RealTek's Sound Manager, not 5.1.

Same used to go for Half-Life 2, as well - I've always had issues w/ Source Engine games playing sounds properly w/ 5 speakers set-ups.

EDIT:

Okay, I just found something - dunno if this'll help you (depends on your speaker set-up), but it might be worth a shot.

This is supposedly a fix for the surround sound issues w/ Bloodlines:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=326720

I ain't tested it yet - but I'm damn curious, so I will try it when everybody in this house here is awake.

Always backup a copy of any of your original config-files (usually they are named .cfg or .ini files) before doing anything to them.

Sometimes - modding untested, unsupported and/or unofficial stuff can break your game; might work for some set-ups, might not work for others.

Use at own risk.

Since sounds ain't working properly for you, might not be much of a risk here.

UPDATE!!! SOLVED!!! FINNNAAAAALLLLY!!!!!

For some reason, my digital Gamefly copy of Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines wouldn't let me change the compatibility mode in the properties menu. I found another way to do it, and changed it to Windows '98, That fixed it right up! Runs smooth as butter now :)

Here's the link to how I did it. Option 3.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6832-compatibility-mode-use-windows-8-a.html

Thanks to everyone for their help!

UPDATE!!! SOLVED!!! FINNNAAAAALLLLY!!!!!

For some reason, my digital Gamefly copy of Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines wouldn't let me change the compatibility mode in the properties menu. I found another way to do it, and changed it to Windows '98, That fixed it right up! Runs smooth as butter now :)

Here's the link to how I did it. Option 3.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6832-compatibility-mode-use-windows-8-a.html

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Glad to hear you got it going on Win 8. :D

That's really weird that GameFly's version wouldn't even let you switch Compat. mode on Properties.

Glad there's some other way to get around that.

Spoder, were your senses tingling when you sold that copy of Nightmares from the Deep The Siren's Call?

I am just joking with you but I found it funny that I just bought the game yesterday to have it in a bundle today.

I wish this included some music but I am just looking at buying 3 games for $6 since I have 2 already, not great but not bad.
I think you got a good deal considering the game is in the BTA for this bundle. Don't buy the BTA or $6 tier, not worth it.

So yeah, I'm still new to the Humble Bundle scene. What were some of the best bundles offered?
I agree with MNS (Mr. Ninja Squirrel) about Humble Indie Bundle 11.

Just asking; are you new to buying game bundles?

A couple of websites to check out;

http://isthereanydeal.com/

http://igbwiki.com/wiki/Indie_Game_Bundle_Wiki

The above websites can help you understand what game prices have been and have the games been bundle prior. You can get a sense of what you should pay if you want the game now. IF you stay on CAG, you might end up like most others here that backlog more games than we play (thank you Mr. D).

Please check out steam and start a wishlist.

Check out humble bundle. They generally have a new bundle every 2 weeks (generally on Monday). The bundles generally have tiers i.e. tier 1 for $1 minimum tier 2 is BTA or beat the average (sometimes even a third tier i.e. $15 minimum). If you buy the first week i.e. for $1 (minimum to get steam keys for the games) then you can pay more later for the BTA tier games and only pay the difference between the BTA price when you locked in your payment. For example you buy in at $1 the first week when the BTA is $4. The second week is when the "unlock" or other games being added to the bundle come out. If you like the BTA tier (which will include the newer added games) and the BTA price is now $5, you still only have to pay $3 to equal $4.

Humble also has weekly bundles on Thursday. Weekly generally has 3 tiers nowadays. Tier one for $1, tier 2 generally for $6 and tier 3 for whatever i.e. 10-15. It becomes a debate whether to buy at tier 2 or tier 1 unless you just have to have tier 3 game.

Humble has been doing some "flash" sales. Flash sales are typically for 24 hours and may have tiers. Decide and buy or move on.

Humble also has comic and / or book sales. Same rules apply.

Check out the forum here i.e. there is a thread for buying games from other CAGs.

Also keep in mind that Humble Bundle is not the only bundle site. Groupees.com, indiegala.com, indieroyale, bundlestars.com are also major players in selling bundles.

Alot of CAG members buy from more than one site.

Good luck and ask questions if you need help.

bread's done
Back