iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
GeoGeo Wars is Free today.

http://appshopper.com/link/geogeo-wars

267627.jpg

[quote name='Dimsdale']Hmmm. The "big announcement" turns out to be a trailer for a game called Plushed. Call me underwhelmed.[/QUOTE]

That is big for anyone following it -- it's not the trailer, it's the submitted part that's the big announcement. Eagerly awaiting it's appearance on the App Store now.

And god...I spent 34 dollars on iTunes earlier this week (mostly on the laser disc games, but also a ton of other apps). And the deals just keep on coming. Boggle & Life are mine. I can have fun with those this winter break with the family.

oh god Dragon's Lair is horrible.....i never played it before but i knew it was like a cult classic type game. I can see how it would be appealing back when it came out but this game is horrible. Oh well.......

Fallen Ep-1 isn't bad..the camera angles can confuse sometimes though
http://appshopper.com/games/fallen-ep-1

Shaun White snowbording sucks an ass...dont even think about getting it...
http://appshopper.com/games/shaun-white-snowboarding-origins

Finally got Canabalt..it is ok.i can see the appeal of a quick game but all I can think while playing it is it looks like Michael Jackson is escaping pedo-prison
http://appshopper.com/games/canabalt

Spider: the Secret of Bryce Manor is pretty good...controls well and it is addicting making these spider webs and it is cool to see what you have done to the room afterwards
http://appshopper.com/games/spider-the-secret-of-bryce-manor

Pocketball is a well done puzzler...very entertaining but can be frustrating sometimes because of how deceptively easy the answer can be
http://appshopper.com/games/pocketball

Lite: http://appshopper.com/games/pocketball-lite

Bombardiers Guild is pretty awesome.....you want to just try to aiim for the other guy but you progress as you learn to use the gravity to make your shot stronger..pretty cool concept
http://appshopper.com/games/bombardiers-guild

I was worried about OMG Pirates for multiple reasons, Zombieville's demo was dreadful, seemed caught up in LOL MEMES, and I think pirates are so much better than ninjas it isn't even funny.

Of course, since I've grown up with brawlers and I've been aching for a good one (Castle Crashers was stylish but lacking in that oomph that put RCR Advance and DD Advance over the top.), I gave it a shot.

Totally worth it. The game isn't too long but every feature it has complements the brawler gameplay really, really well. Great music, graphics, gameplay, combat, no tedious bullcrap. Good bosses (Though the final one was a let down.). Great sense of humor. Good enemy variety... I can't sing its praises enough. It's a wee bit short, only 9 levels, 3 bosses, but has 3 difficulties, progressive leveling up, and a survival mode so you'll get your $2 or so's worth. I wish Castle Crashers had taken several pages from this game's book.

Also, Super KO Boxing 2 just released another update, adding in three pages of achievements (Each with a concept art unlock) to supplement its already sizeable array of Challenge matches. In typical SKOB style, they range from the "DURRRRR"-tastic "Knock down Big Gip with only low punches. Lose to Dynavolt's Return 10 times" all the way up to "KO Tha Shogun with 2 punches only." Definite page out of Punch-Out Wii's playbook.

Finally, Minigore. This game is terrible, but I love it so much. It's a simplistic dual-stick shooter that, hell, is nowhere near as good as iDracula and Meteor Blast. It only has really one enemy type, the second one doesn't even count. The weapons are anemic, everything is simpler than even Geometry Wars.

But I CANT STOP PLAYING THIS HOLY CRAP. The music, the graphics, the style... everything about it is so damn infectious. ESPECIALLY that music. I think that's what is making me addicted.

I was trying to figure how to get or make a list of all the games I have, seeing as they all don't fit on my iPhone at once anymore. So I thought I'd share what I came up with in case anyone else wants to do it.

Run iTunes, click on Applications, then either hit ctrl+P or go up and click File and then Print, The Print Applications dialog will pop-up just select Song listing and click Ok and then print.

Personally I used PrimoPDF to print the list to a pdf file.

I just picked up the Game of Life, which I was hoping EA would put on sale, and was a no brainer at $1. Also grabbed all of the free games that were mentioned the past couple of pages, so thanks for those.

Monopoly is kickass and I've been playing that a lot. So much so that I haven't played any of the Gameloft games that I picked up from their sale. Definitely the best $3 I could've possibly spent on an iPod game.

I still might grab a few other games. Zenbound ($2), Pacman C.E. ($3), and World Series of Poker Hold em' Legend ($3) are at the top of my list.

Tom Tom U.S.A is a new US only gps app on sale for an introductory price of $49.99. I must be going crazy because I'm considering pulling the trigger.

I like Waze and all but sometimes I actually need directions, as opposed to teaching an app directions.

More:

Surviving High School is getting a smidge annoying, with the free weekly episodes taking EVERY opportunity to thrust you into the stupid word trace minigame with awful controls. I still very much enjoy the game (For what it is, of course. If you look at SHS and just curl your lip in disgust, then stay away from it. I'm not trying to recommend it to anyone but someone who thinks they could like such a game.), but I really wish they'd find a better crutch than the word trace game or the arbitrary BAD ENDs. Again, I've yet to sink my teeth into the main story which seems to be much more nonlinear.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene's extra levels are just awful. Not a single one of them has been anywhere near good. In fact, once you've beaten the game, there's really nothing worth unlocking, though a Hard mode run through might be worth considering.

This is meaningless though, as the game's music level generator actually nine times out of ten generates really good levels. Hell, half of them are better than the game's MAIN levels, and every single one is better than the game's side levels. The generator is worth it alone just to be able to have a tremendous variety of randomly generated, but still quality, shmup levels.

[quote name='DtotheP']Tom Tom U.S.A is a new US only gps app on sale for an introductory price of $49.99. I must be going crazy because I'm considering pulling the trigger.

I like Waze and all but sometimes I actually need directions, as opposed to teaching an app directions.[/QUOTE]

You're not the only one. But at least it's on sale till the 28th. I got time to think about it.

Thing is, I have a TomTom One. It gives turn by turn, but doesn't read the street names. But for some reason I'd like TomTom on the iPhone because I always have the phone with me and charged. Not always the case for the TomTom. Of course, using my phone for GPS in addition to games, apps, calling, notes for work, and music....my battery won't be lasting too long.

Thinking hard....

[quote name='Nameless One']You're not the only one. But at least it's on sale till the 28th. I got time to think about it.

Thing is, I have a TomTom One. It gives turn by turn, but doesn't read the street names. But for some reason I'd like TomTom on the iPhone because I always have the phone with me and charged. Not always the case for the TomTom. Of course, using my phone for GPS in addition to games, apps, calling, notes for work, and music....my battery won't be lasting too long.

Thinking hard....[/QUOTE]

Get a charger cable for work and use your outlet charger up there.

I have one at work. But I don't always get a chance to use it. Some days my phone rings off the hook (the iPhone -- I have my work phone forwarded to it) and I'm both a Tech Monkey (desktop support) and System Admin, so I'm rarely actually at my desk. Luckily the iPhone charges quickly.

But I meant more along the lines of it's going to get so used that the battery is going to hold half a charge in a years time if I use it that heavily. And I can't swap the battery out myself (the one thing that really grinds my gears about the iPhone). So I'd like to take good care of it. But we'll see how I feel about it next week. I like having such a long period of time...let's me think about it more than the impulse 50% off sales that last a day or three.

To make this game related though -- Super Monkey Ball 2 is on sale now, 4.99. And zomg it's control is far and away wonderfully playable unlike the original Super Monkey Ball on the iPhone. Well worth it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']

Finally, Minigore. This game is terrible, but I love it so much. It's a simplistic dual-stick shooter that, hell, is nowhere near as good as iDracula and Meteor Blast. It only has really one enemy type, the second one doesn't even count. The weapons are anemic, everything is simpler than even Geometry Wars.

But I CANT STOP PLAYING THIS HOLY CRAP. The music, the graphics, the style... everything about it is so damn infectious. ESPECIALLY that music. I think that's what is making me addicted.[/QUOTE]

I am right there with you. I have probably half a dozen games on my iPhone that do the same thing better, yet I'm still playing Minigore. Why????

[quote name='crunchewy']Is spore origins worth 99 cents? Anyone have it?[/QUOTE]

I bought it when it first came out for like 10 dollars or whatever, it's not too bad but it's not spectacular. I guess you can't go wrong for 99 cents though.

[quote name='Captain Wrong']I am right there with you. I have probably half a dozen games on my iPhone that do the same thing better, yet I'm still playing Minigore. Why????[/QUOTE]

It's got two enemy types now :). And the game is better than iDracula or Alive 4 Ever...purely because of it's simplicity. They all do the same thing...but Minigore is like an arcade game in it's purest form. Also there's various types of furies, and they also added the midnight/clouds/darkness to the game now too that changes up hte speed and your pulse rate for a short period of time.

Strongly suggest people get AngryBirds, 99 cents for now; will go up to 1.99 later. It's a fun game where you launch birds from a slingshot at some pigs...physics are involved, very polished, and good looking. Perfect type of fun for the iphone.

[quote name='DtotheP']Tom Tom U.S.A is a new US only gps app on sale for an introductory price of $49.99. I must be going crazy because I'm considering pulling the trigger.

I like Waze and all but sometimes I actually need directions, as opposed to teaching an app directions.[/QUOTE]

Really considering it too. Thing is, I have a Touch and not an iPhone. So you need to buy the app for $50 and the car kit for another $100?

@TheRock88

might as well just buy a standalone for that price. Or an iPhone...

Layers is on sale for $2.99 and Sketchbook mobile is on sale for $1.99.

Damn these great app sales striking all at once.

[quote name='Nameless One']It's got two enemy types now :). And the game is better than iDracula or Alive 4 Ever...purely because of it's simplicity. They all do the same thing...but Minigore is like an arcade game in it's purest form. Also there's various types of furies, and they also added the midnight/clouds/darkness to the game now too that changes up hte speed and your pulse rate for a short period of time.[/QUOTE]

The second enemy type barely counts. It's like a 2 second kill between night and day cycles.

Yeah, I think the fast and furious arcade pace, as well as the flaming/non-flaming pace variation and the simple yet fun managing of a train of baddies all soaking your bullets makes it fun.

Being able to start with 6000 points is good, too. If you aren't getting a game over within 5 minutes of a survival style game, you need to up the difficulty.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is spore origins worth 99 cents? Anyone have it?[/QUOTE]

Not in my opinion, it came out when most iphone games were still getting their bearings. It's basically the first stage of spore pc ... but it never really goes anywhere. Sure you can upgrade your amoeba with new items, but it's just not a very fun game. Graphics are decent, but overall there are better games you can buy for 99 cents. If I had to compare one off the top of my head, Pocket God has far more depth and continues to add features, whereas Spore hasn't been updated since its release and most likely never will.

It wasn't listed earlier when I posted but this is the game of the day at Appvent Calendar... wow. Didn't expect them to give away such a great, already well-known game!

[quote name='crunchewy']Payload is also free, but I can't download either it nor iBlast Moki - says it is currently being modified.[/QUOTE]

Same problem with me too!

Rolling Skull, Nameless One, and Captain Wrong,

I hate you guys! All of you guys talking about Minigore made go out and purchase it for $1.99!!! lol

You guys are correct! It's infectious! Can't stop playing it! :D

[quote name='Dimsdale']The EA sale app for today is the Bust-a-Move-ish "Snood" for .99.[/QUOTE]

I would have purchased but every time I try it says that the item is being modified. I hate that iTunes does this; it seems to happen a lot on one day sales.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']In for Payload and iBlast Moki.[/QUOTE]

Don't stretch your wallet too thin with that iBlast Moki......

I have a copy of NBA Live 10 for the iPhone or iPod touch if anyone is interested. Looking for any 360 codes.

bread's done
Back