iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

Thanks, mkernan. I knew it was posted on their fb, but I didn't know it was posted by someone else. Guess I was too late; oh well.

In for Battleheart. I don't think this one is ever going to be free, and it looks awesome.

I also bought Tiny Wings and League of Evil the other day, and I can easily recommend both at $1 each.

[quote name='Dimsdale']One of the best Arkanoid/Breakout games around, Jet Ball, is once again available for FREE for a limited time ((http://itunes.apple.com/app/graveyard-shift-lite/id383061413?mt=8)).
"Destroy all static and moving bricks and obstacles to win the level. Touch and move left or right the pulsing circle under the pad to control it. Touch anywhere higher with another finger (use multi-touch) to release a ball, launch a rocket or shoot with plasma gun.
Shining blocks contain bonuses that can seriously change the situation. Green power-ups will help you to cope the task – such as ball splits, rocket launcher, plasma gun, fire ball, acid ball, magnet, shield and so on. Try to avoid red power-downs, that can speed up balls, decrease board size, make balls flight trajectory unpredictable or even explode the board."[/QUOTE]

http://appshopper.com/games/jet-ball

You posted the link for Graveyard Shift Lite, thanks though.

Minus 1 for Shadow Era. It has great music and production values, but requiring internets is a minus and the game itself isn't really hugely smart or clever like Magic.

[quote name='eliter1']Anyone know how this compares to Hot Pursuit? I love Hot Pursuit but I already beat all the races.[/QUOTE]
Underground > Hot Pursuit > Shift

But they're all good in their own right.

Graveyard Shift reached 1,000 votes so it's now available for .99. Sorry I don't have the link; I'm doing this from my phone.

[quote name='SaraAB']I just wanted to mention that I found a really good game on the app store, its called Mushroom Age, if you like point and click adventures this game is an absolute MUST. Its just as good as a Nintendo DS or PSP game and is a long game, so if you are sick of short games this is one for you. First truly good game I discovered on the app store.

The game was free a short while ago.[/QUOTE]

My wife keeps trying to get me to play it, she beat it, it's a hidden object game where you have to use the items you find to solve puzzles. I missed out when the iPad version was free, think I'm going to wait and see if it does again.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Underground > Hot Pursuit > Shift

But they're all good in their own right.[/QUOTE]

I like Hot Pursuit > Shift > Underground.

I agree that they are all different enough to warrant a purchase at $1 though.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']

Just so people know, the iSniper 3D game is also a part of Gamebox Elite 1.[/QUOTE]

I knew I played this game before, got Gamebox Elete 1 a while ago for free, it's $2.99 now so if you don't have it you should get iSniper 3D it's not bad at all for free.

Also Graveyard shift is universal, so the link you gave is the same as the iPad version just to let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assault Commando is also being featured on FAAD right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/iassociate-2-hd/id400660546?mt=8).
"A 3D shooter game, set in the south American jungle.
You have to help Jack Gunfire, a cynic war hero to stop Albrecht Braun from taking over the world.
- Stunning 3D graphics
- Mountable vehicles
- Weapons, weapons, weapons
- Hundreds of enemies to shoot
- High quality soundtrack
- 3 difficulty levels
- Free updates"

Drive or Die Gold is the latest Free Game of the Day from OpenFeint (http://itunes.apple.com/app/drive-or-die-gold/id416610075?mt=8).
"Someone has planted a bomb in your car! Speed down a crowded highway and race against the clock in this action-packed 3D arcade thrillride. Weave through traffic at breakneck speed, collect time-altering powerups and smash your way down the road! Can you make it to safety?
Tilt your phone to steer, and race in four different locations and play to unlock six unique cars! Face off against your friends and post your scores on Facebook with OpenFeint integration."

[quote name='xXI SPECTER IXx']I don't know if this is the proper place to to post in regards to finding out about a good GPS Navigation app for the iPhone 4. Can anyone please recommend some?[/QUOTE]

Depending on how much you want to spend. Copilot is $4.99 for the US maps and is pretty good.

[quote name='jgiovanni']Depending on how much you want to spend. Copilot is $4.99 for the US maps and is pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Or I got Mapquest 4 Mobile, try that. Has voice directions and it is free. At least don't pay money until you try free (That's the CAG way)

iDrumStarPro is FREE until March 6 (http://itunes.apple.com/app/idrumstarpro/id404096642?mt=8).
"Beautiful graphics.
NO advertisements.
NO delay between tab and sound.
Play iDrumStar along with your iPod songs or Rhythm Helper.(28 Rhythm Helper provided)
(Rhythm Helper is a new feature which allows you to follow along a pre-recorded beat - great for beginners and drummers !)
Offers 6 different kinds of drum sets (Pop, Real, Jazz, Hip Hop, Rock1,Rock2).
Offers 7 drum skins and 19 theme.
High accuracy Metronome function.(great for both beginners and drummers !)
Volume control for both Metronome and Rhythm Helper.
Records user's playing activity.
Saves playing as a file.
Loads a recorded file."

Orange Boy Adventures GameBox 3 in 1 (iRaft Wars Saga) (whew) is one of the new FAAD featured titles right now (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/orange-boy-adventures-gamebox/id416508492?mt=8#).
"iRaft Wars + Orange Boy Jump Adventures + Orange Boy Bubble World all in one.
Enjoy all 3 games for the price of one!"

Sentinel: Mars Defense
, a solid TD game, is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/sentinel-mars-defense/id305974985?mt=8#).
"It’s war. Earth's first off-world colony is fighting for survival against a savage alien onslaught!
Mars is under siege and thousands of lives are on the line. Humanity’s only hope is you, the commander of the dropship Sentinel. Welcome to the future of Tower Defense!
Deploy sophisticated turret technology across the Martian landscapeto halt the alien advance. Protect walls and barriers that block the enemy’s path to your base. Upgrade your weaponry, or release robotic drones to repair buildings and harvest resources. Watch the battle for the planet unfold in beautifully rendered, atmospheric graphics."

Castle Warriors
, an RTS title, is also available for FREE for a limited time (http://itunes.apple.com/app/castle-warriors/id330855673?mt=8).
"Battle for Queen and Country: skewer a few clichés along the way.
Queen Mynera rules a lovely land threatened by despicable foes. Of course, you are her only hope. Castle Warriors is a tensely fought, tightly paced RTS game set in a landscape that gently tweaks all those fantasy tropes from the games of yore. Lead armies of warriors, veterans, warlords, heroes and even giants, against goblins, orcs, ogres, trolls and demons. You must take and defend castles, use superior strategy and tactical timing to gain advantage before claiming victory.
You must Creep on the Borderlands, defend Waterseep, and find the Temple of Elemental Good. And what possible trouble could a few missing magic items be? Hmmmm…"

See how far you can go with the currently FREE Robot Runner (http://itunes.apple.com/app/robot-runner/id418682041?mt=8).
"In the future, robots are used in sport where players compete against each other to be the ultimate Robot Runner.
You must run, jump, flip, boost, climb, transform and teleport your way through 32 challenging levels and endless mode. Take your place in the future and become the ultimate Robot Runner."

thank you jgiovanni for the "copilot" app recommendation. May need to check it out if mapquest 4 mobile keeps draining my battery. I used it most of the day today. Sad to say that its a good free app, but somehow it drains my battery by 10% each time i am looking for a route.

thank you crax for the "mapquest 4 mobile" works great but my battery really is drained during use. Maybe its my battery on my iphone 4, had it for 6 months.

Flick Buddies is the latest OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/flick-buddies/id405424038?mt=8).
"Hey action fans, Flick Buddies is here! If you’re looking for competitive multiplayer fun on the iPhone and iPod Touch, then look no further than Flick Buddies! In this action packed game of...er...action, you can experience, real-time, non-stop mayhem with up to four friends, family, strangers or even a cell mate; on a single device!
Need to prove your gaming prowess quickly and easily against that candy carrying stranger at the bus stop? Flick Buddies is so easy to play, you'll be battling in seconds with the simple flick of your finger. But don’t let the simplicity fool you! You’ll need to call upon all your skills to navigate the plethora of obstacles and quick reflexes to activate your array of special abilities.
Flick Buddies supports up to four players at once and includes a single player mode (for when friends are scarce). Players will have a choice of five themes of nutty characters and environments, spread over twenty four unlockable levels. So what are you waiting for, start clicking and get flicking!"

[quote name='xXI SPECTER IXx']thank you jgiovanni for the "copilot" app recommendation. May need to check it out if mapquest 4 mobile keeps draining my battery. I used it most of the day today. Sad to say that its a good free app, but somehow it drains my battery by 10% each time i am looking for a route.

thank you crax for the "mapquest 4 mobile" works great but my battery really is drained during use. Maybe its my battery on my iphone 4, had it for 6 months.[/QUOTE]

Using gps+3G will ZAP your battery in no time. You can check out one of those battery apps and it'll show you a breakdown of how much battery life each service uses. 3G and gps use the most, so combined they will seriously eat your battery.

Waze is another good navigation app. It's also free.

I've used Copilot, Navigon, TomTom and others and TomTom is by far the best. The worst, albeit prettiest. is Navigon, which pretty consistently gets the location wrong. TomTom is reliable, gives good routes and has a good interface. It's worth the bucks IMHO.

[quote name='DtotheP']Using gps+3G will ZAP your battery in no time. You can check out one of those battery apps and it'll show you a breakdown of how much battery life each service uses. 3G and gps use the most, so combined they will seriously eat your battery.

Waze is another good navigation app. It's also free.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the fast reply, I really appreciate that. I started noticing, I was thinking perhaps it was my phone. I do not know if I should upgrade to IOS 4.2, I still hear and been reading that some people are having problems with network after updating. Need to check out that battery app. Thank You!

[quote name='crunchewy']I've used Copilot, Navigon, TomTom and others and TomTom is by far the best. The worst, albeit prettiest. is Navigon, which pretty consistently gets the location wrong. TomTom is reliable, gives good routes and has a good interface. It's worth the bucks IMHO.[/QUOTE]

The TomTom app is like $34.99 I believe. That is better than the ATT one which goes for $70 a year. I am happy with the Mapquest 4 Mobile and its free. lol. Like people mention (CAG Way)

Motion X is nice if you're going on a trip or something. It's .99 with 30 days of service free, and then you can pay by the month or year after that is up. Cool part is you don't need to stay subscribed, you can buy it whenever you need it. $3/month, $20/year.

[quote name='FromChaos']Motion X is nice if you're going on a trip or something. It's .99 with 30 days of service free, and then you can pay by the month or year after that is up. Cool part is you don't need to stay subscribed, you can buy it whenever you need it. $3/month, $20/year.[/QUOTE]

I'll second this recommendation. I just go back in town last night, and I bought this for my business trip since the company vehicle did not have GPS and I was not familiar with the area I was going to. This app worked very well for the dollar I spent on it, and I intend to use it for such trips in the future. As for the battery issue, I just brought my car adapter with me and left my phone plugged in the whole time I was using it.

Thief Lupin! is the latest FAAD featured game (http://itunes.apple.com/app/thief-lupin/id401590508?mt=8).
"A wise person once said, ‘In life, the most fun you have involves the simplest of things!’ Check it out, a simple, beautiful and highly addictive one button game that tests the limits of your concentration and takes you on a fun ride you will never forget: Presenting, his awesomeness, Thief Lupin—the game!
Join Thief Lupin as he scales the Empire State Building, romps the Pyramids and conquers the Neuschwanstein castle… A simple one button game, Thief Lupin game challenges you with different kinds of traps and tickles you with witty puzzles as you try to take in the majestic settings of the game."

Stupid Zombies is also currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/stupid-zombies/id412984175?mt=8).
"Those stupid zombies are back, and you are humanity's last hope to keep them brainless. One man, one shotgun and lots of stupid zombies.
Features:
- 300 unique and puzzling levels
- Universal app
- Supports Retina display
- Game Center leaderboards"

[quote name='TheRock88']Hot Springs Story just came out for $3.99. In the description it says it's a temporary intro sale so the price will probably go up in a few days. Just posting this cause its made by the same makers of Game Dev Story.

Really contemplating picking it up since I loved Game Dev.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/hot-springs-story/id408854559?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Haven't tried it but it looks like GameDev Story with a different skin.

[quote name='TheRock88']Hot Springs Story just came out for $3.99. In the description it says it's a temporary intro sale so the price will probably go up in a few days. Just posting this cause its made by the same makers of Game Dev Story.

Really contemplating picking it up since I loved Game Dev.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/hot-springs-story/id408854559?mt=8[/QUOTE]

Really considering picking this up, though I kinda get the feeling it'll drop to $.99 like Game Dev Story did. Decisions, decisions.

I want to give a shout out to Super World Adventures http://appshopper.com/games/super-world-adventures which is $0.99. There is also a free version http://appshopper.com/games/super-world-adventures-free . It's a fun platforming game starring what looks like a plumber with a red shirt and blue overalls.

This is the regular price. It's also by the same company which makes Gamebox, so there's a chance it will be included in one of those at some point.

So why mention it? Well, if you look at the game and listen to its sounds, it will be mighty familiar. Almost too mighty familiar for a certain big company to not notice. And if they do notice, you won't be able to buy it for $0.99 anymore :)

Come onnnnnnnnnnn. Are there no new games out that can feed my handheld desires???

post apocalyptic open world shooter
a horror adventure game
a pokemon esque quality game

and hot damn, have a Dead Space SALE already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back