iPod Touch\iPhone\iPad -- Ongoing App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions. :)

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

YouTube Video Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center exchange thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.
  10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. They have an Ebay Store that might save you a few bucks. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

I love the iPad I just bought, sure I coulda waited for ipad two, but I'm loving this. I'll def buy the iPad 2 eventually, I use mine right now for note taking/reading/comic books.

I do find the people that hate on the iPad are the people who haven't seen the apps it can do and plain and simple can't afford it. I have a art program that is so impressive I still can't believe how it works.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Hmmm...its been like this since yesterday. Wondering what the heck is going on. Please tell me others are seeing this too.[/QUOTE]

Were you the one that originally posted? If you were, yeah, I checked the link when it was posted and saw a similar error (it wasn't the same, but it was server related).

[quote name='Darknuke']+1. I want FFT: WotL damnit![/QUOTE]
It is supposedly coming next month, but who knows...cant wait for it too. Im definitely more pumped for these two compared to what they have already released for the iPhone. I love most retro games but I just cant get into retro RPGs as much as others.

[quote name='zeb06']It is supposedly coming next month, but who knows...cant wait for it too. Im definitely more pumped for these two compared to what they have already released for the iPhone. I love most retro games but I just cant get into retro RPGs as much as others.[/QUOTE]

Wait are you saying FFT is coming in the next month or two?

They announced it awhile ago but it keeps getting delayed. Secret of Mana kind of released suddenly so hopefully the same will happen with FFT but it is coming soon

Damn it I bit on 7th Guest and it crashes on start up, I should have waited for the iPad version. I use iPad v4.2, so don't get the iPhone version for use on the iPad.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']Were you the one that originally posted? If you were, yeah, I checked the link when it was posted and saw a similar error (it wasn't the same, but it was server related).[/QUOTE]

Yes, indeed that was me. It's just annoying because that was the place I went to check what was free/discounted and now its down. Any other sites to check those? Not a big fan of slidetoplay.com as the setup is odd.

[quote name='jacknicklson']They announced it awhile ago but it keeps getting delayed. Secret of Mana kind of released suddenly so hopefully the same will happen with FFT but it is coming soon[/QUOTE]

Had no clue SoM even came out. I mean as I said before I did not own an Ipad and now am waiting on the Ipad 2, means I did not keep up on Ipad news less it was posted at a game site like Kotaku. Anyone know how SoM plays? I can see FFT working very well on the Ipad...but not sure about SoM, I see that being a bit of a mess which sucks since its a fav of mine. Bet since its Square they are charging $10+ as well!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Had no clue SoM even came out. I mean as I said before I did not own an Ipad and now am waiting on the Ipad 2, means I did not keep up on Ipad news less it was posted at a game site like Kotaku. Anyone know how SoM plays? I can see FFT working very well on the Ipad...but not sure about SoM, I see that being a bit of a mess which sucks since its a fav of mine. Bet since its Square they are charging $10+ as well![/QUOTE]
Secret of Mana is $8.99...have yet to get it though. They had everything 50% off around the holidays surprisingly but before SoM was released. The word about Tactics WotL was March but the US Square Enix never seems to hype or promote their iPhone games for whatever reason. Cant wait for FF3 though, loved it on the DS...hopefully it wont take too long.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Yes, indeed that was me. It's just annoying because that was the place I went to check what was free/discounted and now its down. Any other sites to check those? Not a big fan of slidetoplay.com as the setup is odd.[/QUOTE]

Probably http://appshopper.com/

Fun Fun Sports is the latest FAAD featured title (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fun-fun-sports/id420584200?mt=8#).
"Ever wanted to participate in the Olympics?
Look no further “Fun Fun Sports” is just for you. Countless interesting and fun filled levels where you get to participate in all your favorite athletics like running, diving, archery and more. Unlock more sports levels as you play along and complete the existing missions.
Start your Olympic dream with a 100 meter dash competing with your opponents. Try to start perfectly, run as possible as you can and finish your run successfully.
Test your targeting skills in archery. Shoot the target and hit the bull’s eye to win and move on to next levels.
Try diving. Use your skills and creative talent to maneuver your jump to impress judges. Back flips, somersaults and spins are all there to try. Just remember, timing your jump is very important.
Completing each mission will unlock more and more interesting and intriguing athletic levels where you compete with your challenger in a bid to win medals."

Puckerz is the new OpenFeint Free Game of the Day (http://itunes.apple.com/app/puckerz/id414440864?mt=8).
"AWESOME, ADDICTIVE GAMEPLAY
Puckerz!'s intuitive control system allows you to take control of a Puck and launch it to any direction to collect as many orbs as you can before the time runs out. Drag, aim and release your Puck and watch it wreak havoc around a destructible environment.
BIG, FUN, CHALLENGING LEVELS
Who says fun is always easy? Puckerz! has multitudes of big, challenging, and trap-laden levels to put your skill and precision to the test. But do not worry, you can always enlist the aid of Bumpers, Cannons, Starlights and 4 unique Powerups to help you Puck your way through."

Thought I'd chime in with a thought about the iPad2 (which I'm buying btw :) ). I can't believe some people were expecting a Retina iPad. The screen res. would have to be 2048 X 1536 !!! I don't think displays with that high of a resolution are being produced today. Think how much a 10 inch 1080p+ display would cost to manufacture. I'm not willing to pay $999+ for the low end iPad2 :lol: . Maybe next year costs will go down hopefully.

Oh and this looks fun:

http://appshopper.com/games/gem-spinner

It's now free so I'll bite.

Just ordered my Ipod Touch 4g from amazon. Should be here by Friday. The crazy thing is I already have almost 30 apps and I don't even have it yet. :D

Anyways, I'm thinking about getting iBeer for 99 cents. I wonder how long it would take though until the pizazz wore off.

Reverse Maze is currently available for FREE (http://itunes.apple.com/app/reverse-maze/id335805193?mt=8#).
"Challenge your brain in ways that will leave you laughing, cursing and feeling bewildered. Reverse Maze is mazing done forwards in a world where left is right and up is down.
Dodge butterflies, trigger traps and take teleports while opening doors in 48 unique levels full of twists and turns. Prepare for confusion as your controls get reversed, re-reversed, re-re-reversed and even rotated leaving you wondering which way is up.
Maneuver your way to the exit through a maze of twists, turns and traps, challenging to even the best spatial thinkers. Play for 2 minutes or 2 hours, there is always a new challenge around the corner. Finishing the game is only the first step, track your stats as you go and struggle to achieve gold in all areas. Challenge the world as you fight for the all time and 24 hour quickest time in each level."

[quote name='Stimes']Boggle is free for a day, iPad version as well.

http://appshopper.com/games/boggle

http://appshopper.com/games/boggle-for-ipad[/QUOTE]

Nice! Not even on Appshopper yet (as of now). Yoink, yoink!

Random $0.02 reviews follow: Dungeon Raid wore off quickly, but I fire it up for sitting around doing nothing, about the same usage as Twitter or Facebook. I would pay the money for PQ2 (or PQ1) in a heartbeat over Dungeon Raid. Sword & Poker also outshines Dungeon Raid for the pick-up-put-down play. Dungeon Raid has a very nice UI and very native-feeling control (except for its crappo roll-yer-own keyboard). I'm hoping for more from this developer, I think their UI/UX is very good, gameplay a bit on the take-it-or-leave it side. If you spend endless hours on Bejeweled this is a no-brainer buy if you actually want a little challenge with your random gem-like gravity drops.

[quote name='Stimes']Boggle is free for a day, iPad version as well.

http://appshopper.com/games/boggle

http://appshopper.com/games/boggle-for-ipad[/QUOTE]
Sweet! I always wanted the "original" scrambled word game but never really wanted to pay for it since I have so many other clones already. Now I've got two versions for free. Thanks, EA (and thanks for posting, Stimes)!

Unfortunately, it's not free again but Let's Golf! is on sale for only .99 right now (http://itunes.apple.com/app/lets-golf/id307901758?mt=8).
"The best 3D Golf game experience for everyone created exclusively for iPhone & iPod touch
Grab a club, take a swing, and pray for a birdie!
It’s time for you to become a big hitter and drive for the green with Let’s Golf!"

30+ Gameloft games for 99 cents, both iPhone and iPad: http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/2011/02/24/gamelofts-surprise-sale/

iPhone
------
Modern Combat: Sandstorm
N.O.V.A. – Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance
Shrek Kart™
Driver™
Asphalt 5
Fishing Kings
Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X
Let’s Golf!
Skater Nation
Real Football 2010
Real Football 2011
Star Battalion
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

iPad
----
N.O.V.A. 2 – Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance HD
UNO™ HD
Assassin’s Creed-Altaïr’s Chronicles HD
Gangstar: West Coast Hustle HD
Dungeon Hunter HD
Real Tennis 2009 HD
Brain Challenge® HD
Star Battalion HD
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD
War in the Pacific
Hero of Sparta HD
Hero of Sparta 2 HD
NFL 2010 HD
NFL 2011 HD
Blokus HD
Real Football 2010 HD
Shrek Forever After : The Game HD
Zombie Infection HD
Secrets of the Vatican HD
Frankenstein – The Dismembered Bride HD
Chess Classics™ HD

Thanks for the heads up on Boggle. I downloaded both versions (iPhone now, iPad 2 later).

[quote name='GundamS']Thought I'd chime in with a thought about the iPad2 (which I'm buying btw :) ). I can't believe some people were expecting a Retina iPad. The screen res. would have to be 2048 X 1536 !!! I don't think displays with that high of a resolution are being produced today. Think how much a 10 inch 1080p+ display would cost to manufacture. I'm not willing to pay $999+ for the low end iPad2 :lol: . Maybe next year costs will go down hopefully.

Oh and this looks fun:

http://appshopper.com/games/gem-spinner

It's now free so I'll bite.[/QUOTE]

I think that they would be smart to do the opposite. Keep the screen roughly the same, make some base product updates, toss in the camera etc etc but then drop the price $100 on each unit. The economy is still weak and most of the people that have Ipads are apple fans or will refuse to buy an Ipad 2. If they want to expand their market the way is through dropping price not adding expensive features.

Thanks to those that answered my FFT and SoM questions. If they can get FFT out for $8 or less I probaly will buy it even if not on sale....SoM $8+ seems hella steep..especially since that games gameplay style does not perfectly fit the Ipad.

[quote name='crunchewy']30+ Gameloft games for 99 cents, both iPhone and iPad: http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/2011/02/24/gamelofts-surprise-sale/

iPhone
------
Shrek Kart™
Driver™
Asphalt 5
Fishing Kings
Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X
Let’s Golf!
Skater Nation
Real Football 2010
Real Football 2011
Star Battalion

iPad
----
UNO™ HD
Dungeon Hunter HD
Real Tennis 2009 HD
Brain Challenge® HD
Star Battalion HD
War in the Pacific
Hero of Sparta HD
Hero of Sparta 2 HD
NFL 2010 HD
NFL 2011 HD
Blokus HD
Real Football 2010 HD
Zombie Infection HD
Chess Classics™ HD

Thanks for the heads up on Boggle. I downloaded both versions (iPhone now, iPad 2 later).[/QUOTE]

Any reccomendations on which of those games are worth it? I know Blokus is since I play board games and I have heard people say Hero of Sparta is awsome, but any others worth it?

[quote name='crunchewy']30+ Gameloft games for 99 cents, both iPhone and iPad: http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/2011/02/24/gamelofts-surprise-sale/

iPhone
------
Shrek Kart™
Driver™
Asphalt 5
Fishing Kings
Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X
Let’s Golf!
Skater Nation
Real Football 2010
Real Football 2011
Star Battalion

iPad
----
UNO™ HD
Dungeon Hunter HD
Real Tennis 2009 HD
Brain Challenge® HD
Star Battalion HD
War in the Pacific
Hero of Sparta HD
Hero of Sparta 2 HD
NFL 2010 HD
NFL 2011 HD
Blokus HD
Real Football 2010 HD
Zombie Infection HD
Chess Classics™ HD

Thanks for the heads up on Boggle. I downloaded both versions (iPhone now, iPad 2 later).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the gameloft heads up, in for at least 4 or 5 of them, it sucks I only have about space for about 1 or 2 though.

Ass Creed is pretty decent on the iphone, cant see it being any different on the ipad

Heroes of SParta is pretty good magus and shrek kart gets a lot of praise. Nova 2 is an awesome FPS so $1 is a great deal, just picked up the hd version to compliment my sd version

iPhone
------
Shrek Kart™
Driver™
Asphalt 5
Fishing Kings
Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X
Let’s Golf!
Skater Nation
Real Football 2010
Real Football 2011
Star Battalion

iPad
----
UNO™ HD
Dungeon Hunter HD
Real Tennis 2009 HD
Brain Challenge® HD
Star Battalion HD
War in the Pacific
Hero of Sparta HD
Hero of Sparta 2 HD
NFL 2010 HD
NFL 2011 HD
Blokus HD
Real Football 2010 HD
Zombie Infection HD
Chess Classics™ HD

Sucks that Dungeon Hunter is $.99 but only for iPad :cry:

iPhone
------
Shrek Kart™
Driver™
Asphalt 5
Fishing Kings
Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X
Let’s Golf!
Skater Nation
Real Football 2010
Real Football 2011
Star Battalion

iPad
----
UNO™ HD
Dungeon Hunter HD
Real Tennis 2009 HD
Brain Challenge® HD
Star Battalion HD
War in the Pacific
Hero of Sparta HD
Hero of Sparta 2 HD
NFL 2010 HD
NFL 2011 HD
Blokus HD
Real Football 2010 HD
Zombie Infection HD
Chess Classics™ HD
[/QUOTE]
Wow, Dungeon Hunter HD for .99. Hmmm, I may actually get that one to stockpile for my inevitable iPad acquisition. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='jacknicklson']Ass Creed is pretty decent on the iphone, cant see it being any different on the ipad

Heroes of SParta is pretty good magus and shrek kart gets a lot of praise. Nova 2 is an awesome FPS so $1 is a great deal, just picked up the hd version to compliment my sd version[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recs, I will grab those.

This gameloft sale is great for me, bad for my wallet. New iPad owner so picking up iPad games is a must.

On MSI's post, I just did that with UNO and it popped up and said I already have purchased it and click ok to redownload or cancel to not. Didn't get charged. Happened many times in the past on me as well.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Does the app store let you buy a game over and over? Like if you buy a game and forget you own it and click buy does it charge you a second time?[/QUOTE]

It will prompt you to buy it again, but it won't charge you then prompt you again saying you get a free download since you already own it.

On the iPad it now tells you if you already own an app. It shows "install" instead of a price. iPhone app store still doesn't though.

[quote name='omyard']It will prompt you to buy it again, but it won't charge you then prompt you again saying you get a free download since you already own it.

On the iPad it now tells you if you already own an app. It shows "install" instead of a price. iPhone app store still doesn't though.[/QUOTE]

See where as I am using my PC till I get my ipad and I think I might have double downloaded something. Just wanted to make sure its not charging me each time. I do not know about the IPad layout but the Appstore is horrible on the PC....

[quote name='omyard']On the iPad it now tells you if you already own an app. It shows "install" instead of a price. iPhone app store still doesn't though.[/QUOTE]

I sure hope that bring that to the iPhone and iTunes (on Mac/Win). It's annoying as heck that they haven't yet. At least there's hope. Also, I really hope they add a purchase history, like they have in the Mac App Store. That also seems likely, but should have been their yesterday.

[quote name='crunchewy']I sure hope that bring that to the iPhone and iTunes (on Mac/Win). It's annoying as heck that they haven't yet. At least there's hope. Also, I really hope they add a purchase history, like they have in the Mac App Store. That also seems likely, but should have been their yesterday.[/QUOTE]

This is just coming from someone new to the system but so far it just seems like they need a major overhaul of the app store and how it functions in general.

horse shit! We finally get a dungeon hunter sale and it's for iPad only! Bah!

I purchased it anyway lol. I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting an iPad 2 so I guess it was ok... but still, horse shit! lol

[quote name='MSI Magus']See where as I am using my PC till I get my ipad and I think I might have double downloaded something. Just wanted to make sure its not charging me each time. I do not know about the IPad layout but the Appstore is horrible on the PC....[/QUOTE]

In iTunes it won't tell you if you've bought it or not, but you can just go check your master app list and see if you've already downloaded it. I'm not sure why you'd be deleting apps from within iTunes itself so that should be fairly reliable. It's rare that i actually manage my apps via iTunes though.

Two more free games, one for today and the other not sure for how long since it just released today(so could be perma free or could be temp)

Puppet Wars - Free for Today
Shadow Era - Free till???

[quote name='bigrozz']If you are wondering whether you own a game you can try and rate the game. If you don't own it you can't rate it.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip :). I've accidentally bought a game that I thought I owned because of this.

I'm definetely in for Nova. I was gonna get Hero of Sparta but it seems to be Ipad only. Out of the other Gameloft games for ipod touch, which ones do you think are worth it?

[quote name='crunchewy']I sure hope that bring that to the iPhone and iTunes (on Mac/Win). It's annoying as heck that they haven't yet. At least there's hope. Also, I really hope they add a purchase history, like they have in the Mac App Store. That also seems likely, but should have been their yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm extremely lucky, iTunes has a purchase history. Click on the store tab, view my account and it'll be there. Only reason I could think of for someone not to have a purchase history is if they used gift cards, but that's highly unlikely as even apps that have been "gifted" to me are on my list.

[quote name='MSI Magus']This is just coming from someone new to the system but so far it just seems like they need a major overhaul of the app store and how it functions in general.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. It's pretty lame that such a feature isn't more clearly defined. Heck, Steam makes it easy to know what you own and what's installed, my PSP's download history is easy to find and individually redownload, and even casual game sites like BigFishGames have a purchase history page with simple redownload links. It's not like Apple's too poor to foot the bandwidth for redownloads :)

One of the reviews in iTunes for Save Toshi DX said, with bad spelling and punctuation, that the game should have a panda or something instead of the Toshi girl, and I laughed. Then I played the lite version. This game should have a panda or something instead of the Toshi girl.

Which is a shame because the game seems fun.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I totally agree with you. It's pretty lame that such a feature isn't more clearly defined. Heck, Steam makes it easy to know what you own and what's installed, my PSP's download history is easy to find and individually redownload, and even casual game sites like BigFishGames have a purchase history page with simple redownload links. It's not like Apple's too poor to foot the bandwidth for redownloads :)[/QUOTE]

Hell I am saying even just the general app store layout and the search function are messy. Plus doesn't your ipad just scatter crap all over the surface like a desktop shortcut or is there a way to organize them in to folders or better yet a list like steam?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hell I am saying even just the general app store layout and the search function are messy. Plus doesn't your ipad just scatter crap all over the surface like a desktop shortcut or is there a way to organize them in to folders or better yet a list like steam?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the iTunes app handling is abysmal. There's no way to put games into groups, or any sort of organizational abilities. Not to mention that you can't rate the apps within iTunes, so you can see what apps you like, or what you don't. I have 192 games, and hell, I don't remember what my impressions are of half of them. It'd be awesome to be able to groups them into "sucks, awesome, okay, etc." categories, either by a ranking system or by folders/list/something.

It really amazes me that after what, 5 years? Apple still hasn't gotten anything better to organize things. But then, all I want for my music is a way to collapse categories, and I'll never see that as far as I can tell. (I.e. sort by genre, and then collsapse the genres so I could just open "rock" while still seeing the other genre headings. More useful for sorting by artists or whatnot. I don't want to have to filter everything else out when I want to see just a subsection of my music.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back