Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
964Z9KK.gif

Also,

Female Robin event coming soon.

From FEH JP Twitter

"[Notice] tomorrow 2/23 (Thursday) 16:00 than special map,★ you can get 3 character "big hero fighter" appeared! This silhouette is. That strategist who always give us appropriate instructions. Enjoy the ♪ #FEヒーローズ"

C5QEtXNVYAELyzc.jpg

964Z9KK.gif

Also,

Female Robin event coming soon.

From FEH JP Twitter

"[Notice] tomorrow 2/23 (Thursday) 16:00 than special map,★ you can get 3 character "big hero fighter" appeared! This silhouette is. That strategist who always give us appropriate instructions. Enjoy the ♪ #FEヒーローズ"

C5QEtXNVYAELyzc.jpg
I could not beat it last time.

That narrow lane was just too much for me.

I should be ready this time since I have Julia now to help out.

We shall see.

Got my copy of Berserk and the Band of the Hawk today, redeemed my BB pre-order outfits too. Hopefully I can squeeze in a few hours and see how it plays.
I should have had mine yesterday as it arrived, but my PO is lazy and never put out the pickup notice for it...bastards. :lol:

Megadimension Neptunia VII (Steam/PC) is $7.99 at Bundle Stars

Cheapest it has been for PC. I'm tempted to grab a key myself even though I already have a digital copy of the game on PSN. Never finished it anyway.

Was kinda hoping they would have a collector's edition like the last one.

Oh, well. It's Dragon Quest so then it is a day one purchase for me.

I just find the Day One DLC for the last one was outclasses like at the second stage so doesn't make it worth it to pre order with SQEnix

Edit: Or could we get this, sometimes I wished I was born Japanese and spook and read it so I could get all these cool edition.

Dragon Quest heroes Special Edition

In addition to Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae, Limited Run Games will also be doing a physical PS4 release for Astebreed

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/834477875759874051/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I contacted them to see if they would let me cancel my preorder to re-order.
Huh, they actually came through. They adjusted my order price. Of course I already made another order so I had to have them cancel anyway.

So it's worth trying to get them to adjust the order if you already have something that hasn't shipped yet.

Megadimension Neptunia VII (Steam/PC) is $7.99 at Bundle Stars

Cheapest it has been for PC. I'm tempted to grab a key myself even though I already have a digital copy of the game on PSN. Never finished it anyway.
Man, I knew it was going to drop eventually but it kept hanging around $25 for so long. I got a decent amount of playtime in so I don't feel too bad.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae will get a physical edition from Limited Run Games in March for PS4
This might be my first LRG game, since the digital version doesn't go on sale too often and while I hear horrible things about the gameplay, something about schoolgirls with samurai swords just gets to me. It doesn't come with extras like other LRG releases right? Nothing like a soundtrack or CD? And shipping is $5 right? In that case, hopefully the final price doesn't exceed $40.

This might be my first LRG game, since the digital version doesn't go on sale too often and while I hear horrible things about the gameplay, something about schoolgirls with samurai swords just gets to me. It doesn't come with extras like other LRG releases right? Nothing like a soundtrack or CD? And shipping is $5 right? In that case, hopefully the final price doesn't exceed $40.
I never get the soundtracks, but I think you will find out closer to the release if they are doing one too. The soundtracks are usually(usually might actually be always, not sure) 15. And yep shipping is a flat 5.50 I think it is now.

The gameplay is pretty meh, but it could honestly just be called Zettai Ryouiki Simulator instead.

I'm conflicted about this. Aside from the nice character designs, the gameplay looks like it could get monotonous. But if the physical release is priced at $20, I might bite.
It's really not a very good game. Gets old fast. You can just pick it up on steam for like $2 on sale.

How's play-asia on backorders? I was thinking of ordering the SD gundam g generation but it's backordered now and wondering if I'm better off searching elsewhere.

It's really not a very good game. Gets old fast. You can just pick it up on steam for like $2 on sale.

How's play-asia on backorders? I was thinking of ordering the SD gundam g generation but it's backordered now and wondering if I'm better off searching elsewhere.
Hit or miss.

They do occasionally cancel the item as they go oop on their site, but it doesn't happen too often, and shouldn't with that particular title.

Nothing has been priced lower than $25 from LRG, so your chances of biting are probably slim to nil. :D
Oh well, our friends at LRG saved me some cash, and likely the annoyance of playing a game I'd be tired of after an hour.

Funny, I just got finished watching a youtube review of the game and was thinking that a $5 PSN sale seemed inevitable. But I guess I'll just wait for that next Steam sale. The early videos I seen made the game look better, but it actually looks pretty weak.

Enjoyed the 2.5 hours of Berserk I played tonight. Endless Eclipse mode is a nice addition to the standard musou setup although fighting Zodd in his changed form resulted in me getting my ass kicked 3 straight times. I'm sure I'm under leveled(level 23) but I had been able to work my way to that battle without any real trouble. 

Story mode seems pretty well done so far as well too. I'm pleased with it as a fan of the genre and the manga.

I cleared 2* Girl Robin, but there's no way I can clear the 3*.  The first action they take is 54 magic damage to Ryoma.  I'm not even sure what the rest of their first turn would be.

I cleared 2* Girl Robin, but there's no way I can clear the 3*. The first action they take is 54 magic damage to Ryoma. I'm not even sure what the rest of their first turn would be.
It's pretty easy if you have a res tank. The physical attackers also have very low attack so your res tank doesn't even need high def.

It's pretty easy if you have a res tank. The physical attackers also have very low attack so your res tank doesn't even need high def.
Good advice. I just used a Julia with rallied resistance and +3 attack boost from starting the turn next to my healer while standing next to Lyn for a +4 speed boost in order to basically have the mages kill themselves on her, an then I stuck lyn in front of the choke point to clean up the rest.

I should probably clarify that I'm talking about trying it with a team comp. of levels 31, 29, 25, and 27.  There's no place on the map that I can put someone that won't die from one unit or another. :D

2* one is good enough to be honest.

Doesn't cost that much to build her up to 4* fairly fast, and it doesn't cost that many feathers to do so.

Unless you had something you desperately need to 5*, I'd save the stamina for something else.

I should probably clarify that I'm talking about trying it with a team comp. of levels 31, 29, 25, and 27. There's no place on the map that I can put someone that won't die from one unit or another. :D
Ah, that certainly makes things more difficult. Having a selection of level 40 heroes to choose from certainly made the map easier for me :p

So I know this is the Niche thread, butis everyone as excited about Mass Effect Andromeda as I am?

Like taking time of work, downloading to my console cause I know I will play it alot.

Those gameplay videos make it look so good.

Also excited about Horizon Zero Dawn as well.

I think I'm more disappointed at the aforementioned prediction of the new banner heroes.  So boring.

Female Robin is just a consolation prize in the end. :p

I hope the Choose Your Legend banner arrives soon. ~_~

So I know this is the Niche thread, butis everyone as excited about Mass Effect Andromeda as I am?
Like taking time of work, downloading to my console cause I know I will play it alot.

I am. Those two games along with Nier, Ghost Recon, and Persona 4 are the reason why I cancelled my Switch preorder. I wouldn't be playing it til June or July at the earliest, might as well wait for bundle discounts and sales.

I'm definitely interested in this, but not a day one purchase for me. Guerrilla Games usually lose their value fairly quickly though, so I'm guessing it'll be $25 by late spring/early summer. I also had more faith in Guerilla a few years back, when they released Killzone 3 (arguably the best in the Killzone franchise), but Shadow Fall was marred by so many problems...

I'm looking at Super Robot Wars V myself...though my backlog is big....I likely wont buy anything else till Persona 5 though. I'm pretty much done with Ubisoft games at launch (got bored quickly of the Division...wont make same mistake again). Horizon looks alright, but also looks overhyped. I'm not caught up enough on Mass Effect games to care honestly. I was also thinking of God Wars.....but honestly if I buy Super Robot Wars V it will fill that turn based niche. Nier....need to play original first (own it just need to play it)....will do before I buy it.

Still working through Yakuza 0 myself, though I've been playing Titanfall 2/Overwatch cause of friends. So yeah likely just SRWV for myself for a while.

I'm a big ME fan, but I'm actually iffy on the new one. So I'm going to wait a bit to grab it. But on the other hand, Horizon Zero Dawn look awesome. I can't wait to get that :) So much good stuff just released and coming, I have no idea what I want to play next!

Since Play-Asia has free shipping, any owners of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 here? Been thinking of picking up the Asia version, should I get the CE or the regular edition?

bread's done
Back