Japanese Niche Games Deals & Discussion Thread 4.0

shivan128

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
Welcome to the Japanese niche games deals and discussion thread!  Feel free to talk about local and import Japanese games here.  Our goal is to maintain a thread dedicated to active deals on niche games including RPGs, Visual Novels (VN), Shoot'em ups (Shmups), Musou, etc.  Also maintained are pre-orders for standard, limited and collector's edition games with key release dates provided.

I've wikified the thread to make it more friendly and open to others that can actively update with important information. You can find the wiki post directly below this one.

NOTE:  Please, leave the censorship discussion away from this thread.  It's common for japanese games to have questionable content outside of the country.  We want to keep discussions to the game itself and not about cultural/societal tolerance.

A message from Thorbahn:

Our CAG Japanese Niche Games Thread also has a community on PS4, where you can interact and game with other members of the thread.

Our moderators are: Draekon, Las_Hole, and Waffleswanton

You can basically friend any of our members, or any moderator, and you will be able to request to join the community under "Communities friends are in" tab, and a mod will approve your request.

You can also leave your PSN ID in the thread, saying you want to join, and we can invite you directly as well.

As always, have fun and enjoy your stay!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's okay, fans already took care of the whole [customspoiler="female lead"]
udrzd1hceamlzqx2b8ug.jpg
[/customspoiler] thing.

This week is lacking in Japanese releases, but Cosmic Star Heroine is this weeks notable release. You have Yooka-Laylee too, but it seems to be underwhelming with a few positive ones. Otherwise you've got two physical releases this week, one of which is a Limited Run Games release.

Other stuff that released without warning last week (Assume PC unless otherwise noted):
- You Friend Hana (Simulation)
- Flamel's Miracle (Visual Novel | Chinese Only)
- Sweet Fantasy (Visual Novel)

Weekly Releases (April 9th - April 15th)

Cosmic Star Heroine
- Platform(s): PS4, Vita, XB1 & PC
- Genre: RPG
- Demo: N/A
- Online: N/A
- Comments: Unfortunately this will be a little overshadowed by Persona 5.

Stardew Valley (Physical Print)
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1
- Genre: Simulation / Farming / Action
- Comments: The physical CE releases this week.

Yooka-Laylee
- Platform(s): PS4, XB1 & PC
- Genre: 3D Platformer
- Comments: Switch version coming later. Reviews seem pretty lukewarm.

Kero Blaster
- Platform(s): PS4
- Genre: 2D Platformer / Shooter
- Comments: By the same people who made Cave Story. Previously released for PC & iOS.

A Rose in the Twilight
- Platform(s): Vita & PC
- Genre: Advemture / Strategy?

Ray Gigant (LRG Release)
- Platform(s): Vita
- Genre: Dungeon Crawler / RPG
- Comments: LRG physical print for the game.

Japanese Women - Animated Jigsaws
- Platform(s): PC
- Genre: Jisaw Puzzle
- Comments: Pretty self explanatory.

Spark the Electric Jester
- Genre: 2D Platformer
- Comments: Not Japanese.

Blue Bird
- Genre: Visual Novel
- Comments: Thai dev? Should be releasing this week.

Past Releases
April 2nd - April 8th
March 26th - April 1st
March 19th - March 25th
March 12th - March 18th
March 5th - March 11th

Actually, the Yooka-Laylee reviews are all over the map, and while my interest was never super high to begin with, as most of these spiritual successor projects are ass for the most part(as they almost always miss out on what made the original games great to begin with), what I've seen and the reviews I've read, the game looks decent enough. I may grab it on sale down the road, especially if the NS ever sees a physical release.

Actually, the Yooka-Laylee reviews are all over the map, and while my interest was never super high to begin with, as most of these spiritual successor projects are ass for the most part(as they almost always miss out on what made the original games great to begin with), what I've seen and the reviews I've read, the game looks decent enough. I may grab it on sale down the road, especially if the NS ever sees a physical release.
that's not even a japanese game

Relax. It took some of us SMT experts 3+ nights to get to the treasure. If you're not well equipped and prepared there's no way you're doing it in one night.
Two on hard. I got past the guillotine first day, but that was about it.

I think I would have made it in one day had I not
fought and killed everything on the way through the mid-boss. Talking to them for items is so much more efficient in this game, since it still gives you XP. I don't recall any SMT game doing that.

Edit: Also, I have no idea what to do now that I finished the first palace with tons of time left. I didn't play 3 or 4...

I'm crazy but i'm restarting my game. I've noted items and what stuff does what stat ups (i'm not going to use a guide at least the first time). I was only in the second month (this still takes hours haha). Call me crazy or crazy efficient but I want to use my newly earned knowledge to really get going the 2nd time.

Plus I just figured out about the juice bar and the plant. How could I miss out on easy and cheap stat ups that cost no time?

Lucky there is a fast forward. I'm going to try to complete the first dungeon in two gos this time too, using my knowledge of cheap, limited time items as well. Give me luck...and i'm not going to restart this game again until I beat it...and probably after a few months. I can't rebeat a game right away....too repetitive for me...esp a long one like this.

I've made a couple mistakes so far, but I'm not aiming for a perfect run. Just want to enjoy my time through, and make the decisions like I normally would.

A little bit of advice for people who want to maximize every last stat boost. Some of the TV show programs give you quiz questions that increase ur knowledge if you get the question right.

Also, free time is a good thing in this game. Dungeons aren't the only area of gameplay in Persona, increasing social links and your outside stats are just as important if not more. Dungeons to me are only 40% or so of the game. Just explore the world and hang out with your confidants in your spare time.

As you learn more minor details about the game, you'll end up regretting more things that make you want to start over again. In my opinion just enjoy it and then replay it in a drought.

Yeah that's one of the beauty of the game is though that there is a lot of stuff that can affect everything. A lot of details you can miss easily.

fought and killed everything on the way through the mid-boss. Talking to them for items is so much more efficient in this game, since it still gives you XP. I don't recall any SMT game doing that.

Edit: Also, I have no idea what to do now that I finished the first palace with tons of time left. I didn't play 3 or 4...
You have to grind up your human stats now so you can access all of your confidants. Most are walled off by a minimum requirement of guts or charm and such. Having high ranks with confidants make persona fusion so much more powerful

I made it to the throne room in one day. I went back thinking that the next time I entered I'd be fighting the boss. Such a waste since all you do is go in the room and go back home so you can leave your calling card. Didn't want to waste the time I spent going there so I fought my way from the top all the way to the bottom. Got myself Jack Frost and maxed out a couple of other personas. Had I known the boss was such a pushover I probably wouldn't have grinded like that.

I do love the palaces and new structured style the dungeons have, but it feels like the game is taking time away from you when you need days to explore the dungeon, you give up an afternoon to send the calling card, and then another day by going to the boss to fight.

My friend pre-ordered the digital version and he got a level 24 Izanagi. He hasn't used it, because he could destroy the first two and a half dungeons with something at that level.

I didn't find the boss that easy? I was getting one-shotted at level 9?
When I made the top I was level 10. When I actually fought the boss I was 11. The strongest attack he had was the telegraphed one where you know you have to guard.

Q: should I sell my DLC soma for 50k to buy armor upgrades?
If you haven't found yourself in need of one, then you could sell it. I'm sure there'll be others by the time the game is through.

First boss wasn't bad for me. I was level 10 or 11 and nobody was getting one-shot. Like Dead Texan said though, there is a move you have ample time to guard for.

Q: should I sell my DLC soma for 50k to buy armor upgrades?
I didn't and the first dungeon cost me three days, instead of the minimal two. Every dungeon since then I've finished in the minimal amount of days. I haven't had any issue with money either and I've spent a ton, but you could sell it to help beat the dungeon in a minimal amount of time.

When I made the top I was level 10. When I actually fought the boss I was 11. The strongest attack he had was the telegraphed one where you know you have to guard.

If you haven't found yourself in need of one, then you could sell it. I'm sure there'll be others by the time the game is through.
Morgana gets one-shotted by one of the normal attacks at level 9.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Morgana gets one-shotted by one of the normal attacks at level 9.
Morgana has gotten benched asap for me. Getting one shotted by midboss even when guarding is no bueno for me.

I was also level 11 for the boss of the first dungeon. He was nothing compared to the midboss or the horse guy with the key... to Be fair though anne gets access to tarunda at level 11 which helps greatly

1st time playing persona. You guy look like you are all experts. Isnt the deadline for the 1st palace like 14 days and you finish it in 2-3 days? Damn! Im barely gona start the mission and im already nervous on getting beat down! Hehe

1st time playing persona. You guy look like you are all experts. Isnt the deadline for the 1st palace like 14 days and you finish it in 2-3 days? Damn! Im barely gona start the mission and im already nervous on getting beat down! Hehe
It comes with experience. A lot of us go through the dungeon as fast as possible because we want to make the rest of our time unencumbered to focus on stuff like confidants and raising your skill parameters. Just know that there is no wrong way to play. If it's your first game in, then just play at your own pace. The first playthrough is to get used to the mechanics. NG+ will be the expert run.

The amount of time to beat it is just how many total days you went into the dungeon to beat it. It doesn't matter if you do it back-to-back or space them out. Just make sure you don't leave the dungeon until the very end of the time frame or you may cause a game over. I usually jump in the first day and make it as far as I can go, then plan my next attempt around activities on days I can't do a whole lot else.

EDIT: Bah. Texan keeps replying to the same thing while I'm finishing up typing.

Oh hey, another big thing to make sure and do is to not decide on hanging out with someone right away. When you get a text and Ryuji wants to hang out, you don't have to say yes right there and then. Just decide later. That way you can run around and see what else you can do that day. If there's nothing else available, you can always go back to him and decide to hang out anyway. If you have a persona of his arcana (Chariot) on you when you decide to hang out you'll get more rank points and can level up his confidant even faster. Same rule applies to all other Confidants.

Has anyone ordered from videogameplus. ca with credit card? Was wondering if it is reliable. I know paypal would be better, but there's a bunch of games I wanna get since they're on sale.

Got to the Treasure in one day. Took a while cuz I accidentally kept gettting caught by the stronger Shadows. Damn you wonky stealth.

Thanks for the tips guys! Im getting excited. Hehe! Do you recommend buying weapons and gear at the store before the mission? Or should i do with the default weapons? I just dont want to waste money if ilget a better weapon at the get go.

Thanks for the tips guys! Im getting excited. Hehe! Do you recommend buying weapons and gear at the store before the mission? Or should i do with the default weapons? I just dont want to waste money if ilget a better weapon at the get go.
Persona 3 and 4 were pretty generous with weapon drops in the dungeon, but I've only beaten the first palace so far and I never got a new weapon or armor. Then again I did it all in one day so I didn't think to leave and make lockpicks for the chests along the way. Maybe the locked chests on the higher floors had weapons or armor and I didn't get them. I just sold all my treasure to the weapons guy, and bought mid to high level equipment for my team. I gave my healers (Ann/Morgana) better defense equipment so they can withstand the hits and heal us when we need it.

I'm still not seeing the benefit to buying new guns. I don't use them for their damage, I just take it out so I can hit the weak points and rush to the all-out attack. Especially when some of the personas I've gotten already do gun damage as a move.

Yes for armor, weapons aren't as important but I do believe they affect the damage of all out attacks.

Not impressed with the "I did the whole first dungeon in one day" posts.   You are either playing it on easy, skipping many of the enemies, or you used your 1 soma (the only 1 SP recovery item available at this point).  If you are playing on normal and fighting the shadows while collecting personas you will run out of SP at the halfway point. Your Persona list will be full at this point too. 

Not impressed with the "I did the whole first dungeon in one day" posts. You are either playing it on easy, skipping many of the enemies, or you used your 1 soma (the only 1 SP recovery item available at this point). If you are playing on normal and fighting the shadows while collecting personas you will run out of SP at the halfway point. Your Persona list will be full at this point too.
I used mine before I knew it was worth 50k... I'm pissed cause I now need cash to get the sp accessory from Tae...

Not impressed with the "I did the whole first dungeon in one day" posts. You are either playing it on easy, skipping many of the enemies, or you used your 1 soma (the only 1 SP recovery item available at this point). If you are playing on normal and fighting the shadows while collecting personas you will run out of SP at the halfway point. Your Persona list will be full at this point too.
Gotta become a barista at Leblanc! If only we'd known sooner! The things we could have achieved!

Morgana's voice when it does the "Meow-hehehehe" is cute af. Also when it licks and purrs it's cute af. Now I want a damn kitten.

Ann's embarrassed voice and Ryuji's sleepy voice is cool too.

Also, might want to include a few spoiler tags here and there guys.

A few extra things I haven't heard people mention:

Sometimes you do want to space your dungeon trips out, since it takes time to reset the alarm percentage if you triggered it. It either goes down by half or 20% a day.

Even if you accept Ryuji (or anyone's) invitation through IM, you are just bought in front of them, and can still do something else than hang out with them.

Lockpick chests are the ones that give the special armor/weapons. 
Same for the ones in Mementos.

I never found the shop armor in Persona games too important, since dungeons usually give good ones anyway, and you can pass them down to others unlike weapons. I usually keep all weapons up to date, but since AOAs almost always kill in this game, it doesn't seem like they are too important either. I find the gun updates pretty useless unless they give extra ammo, but Ryuji's shotgun is insane. Does ridiculous damage. Ann's smg also helps with mobs. I absolutely love the gun system in this game!

Also, wtf is a Twilight Prostitute...?

I'm debating on restarting with the spoiler-free guide so I don't have to replay any time soon...

Just play how you want to play and don't stress yourself out. It's an amazing game and it's meant to be enjoyed.

If you want to maximize everything and that makes you happy, then go for it. But if it's going to be an annoyance having to check everything, making sure everything is perfect, and setting limits for yourself, then it's probably better to just go in blind the first time around.

Also, keep in mind that this is a fantastic game. It's so good that it might make you want to play a 2nd time, regardless of whether you are going for a perfect run or not. Add in DLC and stuff, and it's not a bad idea to play it again. Most importantly, just enjoy yourself, don't treat it like it's some kind of assignment or project, it's just a game.

A good game will make you want to replay it. GTA V and Transistor I think being the only two games I've ever beaten more than once.

It's more about the real life time investment than anything. I could finish a game like Horizon or Nier instead of an almost mandatory second play-through. And I feel like I am totally wasting all my free time in game.

Has anyone ordered from videogameplus. ca with credit card? Was wondering if it is reliable. I know paypal would be better, but there's a bunch of games I wanna get since they're on sale.
I advice you to use PayPal when shopping from them. Link your credit card to your PayPal account.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Didn't sell soma, beat the first 5 dungeons in one go on normal. There are SP items, theyre in the specific soda machines like the one by the laundromat and the one in the school courtyard. You also have to realize that physical skills are a thing and you can crit with them. Like Lucky punch has a huge crit chance, so you dont even need to target weaknesses. Armor has a huge impact on damage taken as well. If your Persona list is full, just go back to the velvet room and fuse them into each other to get some good shit. Trying to do the dungeon in one go makes this one of the harder Smt games which is refreshing. Love this game so far.

I advice you to use PayPal when shopping from them. Link your credit card to your PayPal account.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I decided to use paypal and not my credit card. I wanted to pay it slowly but I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore. Thank you for the advice.

bread's done
Back