LEGO Deals 3

The city starter set looks very old school. I have neen building some older city sets (6472 6571 6598) and those new vehicles look very remiscent of the older ones.

Impulse bought the Fire Station (not Brigade) for $78 - reward CC points from amazon. Sigh, I'm weak...

Those new sets are pretty nice. Love the monster truck.

So I finished the Fire Brigade set the other day. My first collector/modular set. The set is simply stunning. Unfortunately I'm hooked and I'm going to have to get more of these. Guess I'll go with Grand Emporium since that's the oldest that's still available. I can't wait to get the Palace Theater.

This is going to sound backwards but this set for $150 ($120 on sale) really makes it stand out how overpriced all the licensed sets are. Any of the other sets in the $100-$120 range just can't compare. I spent that on the Friends Riding Camp & the Millenium Falcon and it's just apples and oranges. The design and build quality are off the charts.

So if anyone hasn't tried out one of these sets and are considering one of the licensed sets in the $100-$120 range, drop the extra scratch and go for one of the modulars instead. You will not be disappointed.

Lastly, Fire Brigade is probably on the chopping block with the new Palace set coming out. It's the oldest modular still out there and $120 is well worth it.

I refuse to spend over $50 on a set. Stupid rule I know because some of the $100-$150 sets have 10 times the pieces as a $50 set, but in my mind it makes sense. :lol:

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I really like that new Creator house. I can't wait to see the Creator Treehouse now.[/QUOTE]

It's crap, there are pictures around. It's really odd looking, like something a little kid would make from random pieces.

Found it!
Bottom left is a GS mech and bottom right is the tree house. I wish they just take the Friends tree house and changed it up a little.

http://smashing-bricks.com/2013/02/02/nuremberg-international-toy-fair-2013/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddy']I refuse to spend over $50 on a set. Stupid rule I know because some of the $100-$150 sets have 10 times the pieces as a $50 set, but in my mind it makes sense. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I really wish I was disciplined and had this mentality, I would have a lot more money in my pocket!

[quote name='skiizim']I really wish I was disciplined and had this mentality, I would have a lot more money in my pocket![/QUOTE]

Not really. I'll just buy a few polybags, there is $10. Bought a Werewolf (awesome set) ad XMen, that's another $28. Bought 5 sets from Yoyo, that was $76.

I just don't have the room for all these Legos anymore.

Same here. I had to sell my Green Grocer. :(

Wish I could sell off my Imperial Flagship, but shipping that sucker would cut into my margin too much.

What are the chances that the Lego Minecraft set stays in stock until Friday?

Or should I just bite the bullet and buy it now?

I absolutely love that new Creator house! The set seems to come furnished and I'm particularly pleased with its design. This will definitely be a double purchase for me.

I was lucky enough to get the Hillside house for $40 as that set is now discontinued. Maybe one day I'll decide to build all my Creator houses and have them displayed.

[quote name='elessar123']It was $37.97 new in December, btw.[/QUOTE]

Really? I don't ant it, but I thought I remembered that some people here did.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Really? I don't ant it, but I thought I remembered that some people here did.[/QUOTE]

I did, and December was when i bought it =P

Like Weathertop, I'll buy more of they're really cheap, to get more Wargs.

I meant within the last few weeks. :lol:

The NYC Toy Fair starts soon, within a week. That means we get even better pictures, from more websites, and they will be in English with American prices.

[quote name='gunm']Same here. I had to sell my Green Grocer. :(

Wish I could sell off my Imperial Flagship, but shipping that sucker would cut into my margin too much.[/QUOTE]

I'm on the verge of selling my Star Destroyer and Cafe Corner. They are both great sets...but I could buy so many of even the more expensive sets by just giving up those 2. I still need the Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Passenger Train all of which have to be near end of life. My Yoyo deal never went through so I missed my shot at Helm's Deep for a not ridiculous price. Now the Cinema is coming out and that is a must get as well.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I refuse to spend over $50 on a set. Stupid rule I know because some of the $100-$150 sets have 10 times the pieces as a $50 set, but in my mind it makes sense. :lol: [/QUOTE]

For me, it has to 25-30% or more off and it has to be within the themes I like for me to buy it.

[quote name='bigdaddy']It's crap, there are pictures around. It's really odd looking, like something a little kid would make from random pieces.

Found it!
Bottom left is a GS mech and bottom right is the tree house. I wish they just take the Friends tree house and changed it up a little.

http://smashing-bricks.com/2013/02/02/nuremberg-international-toy-fair-2013/[/QUOTE]

Man, I'm disappointed but it still looks better than Small Cottage. I'll still pick it up but only when its on sale. I've never considered buying a Friends set but their Treehouse might change my mind.

[quote name='crowbb']I'm on the verge of selling my Star Destroyer and Cafe Corner. They are both great sets...but I could buy so many of even the more expensive sets by just giving up those 2. I still need the Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Passenger Train all of which have to be near end of life. My Yoyo deal never went through so I missed my shot at Helm's Deep for a not ridiculous price. Now the Cinema is coming out and that is a must get as well.[/QUOTE]

I'll buy you GE, PS, and PT for your Cafe Corner. :)

------------------

I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist for bulk Lego and got a response a couple days ago. I finally got the guy to send me pics and this is what he sent
xuP1RBV.jpg
que8oof.jpg
. I told him those look like Mega Bloks and I'm only interested in Lego. He swears they are all Lego and then I sent him a link that shows the fire looking base in it and he still won't admit it. What a waste of time.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']For me, it has to 25-30% or more off and it has to be within the themes I like for me to buy it.
.[/QUOTE]

Oh for me it has to be on sale for $25 off, and then be $50 or less. I'm a cheapass after all. :)

The most expensive set I have bought in the last several was the Alien Conquest one for $54.

I would like to buy a new train, too bad they take so many damn batteries now.

[quote name='crowbb']I'm on the verge of selling my Star Destroyer and Cafe Corner. They are both great sets...but I could buy so many of even the more expensive sets by just giving up those 2. I still need the Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Passenger Train all of which have to be near end of life. My Yoyo deal never went through so I missed my shot at Helm's Deep for a not ridiculous price. Now the Cinema is coming out and that is a must get as well.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. I just sold the City Coast Guard Patrol Boat (7739) that was a deal we discussed here a few years ago. MSRP on the set was $60, Walmart.com had it for $30, and this was when Bing was doing their cashback promo, so I got $4.50 back for the purchase. Anyway, I just sold it on Amazon for $145, taking home about $117 out of the deal. It was a cool set, and a good deal, but I can buy so much cool stuff with that $117 that it just didn't make sense to keep it.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I know the feeling. I just sold the City Coast Guard Patrol Boat (7739) that was a deal we discussed here a few years ago. MSRP on the set was $60, Walmart.com had it for $30, and this was when Bing was doing their cashback promo, so I got $4.50 back for the purchase. Anyway, I just sold it on Amazon for $145, taking home about $117 out of the deal. It was a cool set, and a good deal, but I can buy so much cool stuff with that $117 that it just didn't make sense to keep it.[/QUOTE]

I would have loved that set for $30.

What i do not understand is why that set of all sets doubled in price. It's not an uncommon or rare set, it's a theme Lego continues every few years, like this year. You can even buy this newest model and still made an awesome profit.

$117 will buy a hell of a nice dinner date, or a cheap hooker. :lol:

Wow, I remember seeing those coast guard sets sitting on the shelves for $30 for a loooong time.

I still have a sealed cafe corner too, but since it was a gift, I can't bring myself to sell it.

[quote name='encendido5']Wow, I remember seeing those coast guard sets sitting on the shelves for $30 for a loooong time.[/QUOTE]

Western Mass has no LEGO sets on sale. For some reason between 2003-2005 all Lego sales and clearance ended here. Before that I got sets for 50-66% off all the time, but something happened and even without sales between Black Friday and MLK Jr. Day there are almost no Lego sets on the shelves, even without sales. It's very odd. And on any day there are 1-2-3 different ads on Craigslist begging people for their old Legos.

If / when I have to sell my collection it's going to be insane and probably really cheap.
None of that half a 20 gallon Rubbermaid container with some random crap and some Legos, it's 100% full of 100% Legos.

It's in my non legal will that my cousin gets my Lego Train and the rest of them can be fought for. :lol: My plant book collection goes to my poor former college, and DVDs go to friends. Everything else has a real value, or no value. :)

My grandma had a Tickle Me Elmo when it was going for thousands, never sold it, my cousin got it. My cousin still goes "I rather have the money". Sell the damn thing, take the money. The person who bought it will understand.

or wait a few more years and it might go for $1500. :roll:

Has anyone gotten this?

http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=5679#comments

[quote name='Corvin']You mean this price doesn't sway you?[/QUOTE]

Good Lord.

One thing that really ticks me off is that I got my Cafe Corner through Walmart.com site-to-store shipping, and they somehow bungled the packaging of it, placing tape on the Lego box, which then ripped the box slightly when the tape was removed. I have no idea what that'll do to the value of it, but I'm sure it devalues it somewhat. Ugh.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I would have loved that set for $30.
[/QUOTE]

You must have missed when that deal was posted on here, cause I know you were an active member of the thread at the time, since you were around before I joined the thread. Of course, at that time there were a flurry of deals due to Walmart.com markdowns combined with the Bing cashback. I got Coast Guard Patrol Boat, Green Grocer, Cafe Corner, and probably a few other things at that time. I bought them because they were good deals. Little did I know they'd appreciate in value like they have!

Looks like this round of Target clearance is finally done, as virtually all of the 70% off sets have disappeared from the pricing/inventory systems in stores - entering their DPCI numbers is coming up "ITEM NOT FOUND". No more Jabba Palace for $35.98.

Funny thing is, some of the sets that never dropped further than 50% or even 30% in some stores are still in those stores' systems. All the Dino sets are still in the systems, but at 30% or 50% off. I wonder if I can research their online item numbers to use the online mobile inventory tracker on those sets to see if any are still in stock anywhere, as I'd love to build an army of dinos a la Jurassic Park.

They most likely sold out at those prices and just haven't taken the items out of the system. I'm sure they will eventually, I wish I was as persistent as you but I don't like going through all the hoops.

My TRU HAS A CLEARANCE!!!!

And the prices are actually lower than they should be normally.

Star wars calendar is $24.
AC "base" is $65.
Cars 1 Cafe. The main set. Is $38.
AC Mothership is half off at $40 now. :lol:
Pod racer plant $5.50.

There was more I forgot. I didn't see series 9. Not on pegs or in any cashier area I saw.

[quote name='TheHelix']Anyone have the Chima polybags from Target?[/QUOTE]

I bought one on Monday along with the Friends one.

I picked up a couple Target Chima polys last week for my kids. Last week was the first time I had seen them as there was an empty spot in the Valentines section next to the Friends polys which had been there for weeks. I need to hunt down the TRU Chima polys. I had seen them once and passed then when I went back to get them a couple weeks later they were gone.

I have been looking for a Cars Flo's Cafe. Within the last year they were on "clearance" at TRU but of course the clearance price was $5 more than normal retail. At that time I wasn't looking to get one but now that I am they have dried up everywhere. The Walmart site shows two stores in my area have them. I checked last week and at one store I could find no trace of it and at the other store they were in the clearance aisle but still marked at full price. There was a sign in the aisle that stated that clearance toys were 50% off so I took it to the cashier to see if it would ring up for half off. I tried telling the cashier that $59.87 was full retail so she referred me to customer service. I knew what customer service was going to say so I went and plead my case anyways and sure enough they said that that was the clearance mark down price. I am not the arguing type so I just admitted defeat. I figure I will check back at this store at a later date and see if it ever gets marked down even though Walmart clearance is notoriously weird. Hopefully I'll get lucky. Of course if anyone happens to pick up one on clearance and wants to help a CAG-er out I'd sure appreciate it. Also looking for a Black Pearl if anyone happens to see those anymore

That is the one set that has been that price for almost two years at Wal-Mart, I picked one up on sale and found one on clearance at Target last year for $30. If your going to get it, I suggest you buy it now if it's not already retired.

[quote name='skiizim']Are you finally going to get the Mothership? It's actually a pretty cool set, I had fun messing around with it.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I think that should be the normal price, $30 is my price point. It only has two minifigures and is empty and huge. I'd like it to have them all, and the mini figures. But for only a few dollars I could have bought the Forest Police Station, a better value.

Of course I might have if there was a free polybag this week.

[quote name='karkyco']Looks like this round of Target clearance is finally done, as virtually all of the 70% off sets have disappeared from the pricing/inventory systems in stores - entering their DPCI numbers is coming up "ITEM NOT FOUND". No more Jabba Palace for $35.98.

Funny thing is, some of the sets that never dropped further than 50% or even 30% in some stores are still in those stores' systems. All the Dino sets are still in the systems, but at 30% or 50% off. I wonder if I can research their online item numbers to use the online mobile inventory tracker on those sets to see if any are still in stock anywhere, as I'd love to build an army of dinos a la Jurassic Park.[/QUOTE]

Wat is this "Target Clearance" you speak of? My local Targets know not of these things. Their tiny, limited item clearance shelves were actually removed a couple weeks ago, and the alleged "clearance" Lego sets were still sitting on the regular Lego shelf ringing up at more or less their regular price.

:cry:

[quote name='Corvin']You mean this price doesn't sway you?[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable... I'm going to try to buy a used complete one, then I won't feel bad about selling my sealed one and I will still make a few hundred :)

Edit: that chrome keychain is cool. I wonder how much you have to spend a year to get that. They should do something like Nintendo where you get points for sets to spend on cool Lego stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-L...207&pid=100010&prg=1102&rk=4&sd=170972148644&

I always wanted a display, more so the big mini figure guys. I just assumed the workers in the stores steal them.

I started thinking... "What if I could only keep five sets?", the nightmare.

But I came up with a list (because I no longer require sleep). These are not in order.

Holiday Train
http://brickset.com/detail/?set=10173-1

Train Shed (Most expensive set I bought, and is stunning)
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=10027-1

Fantasy Castle (Because it's not an ugly box shape. It uses BURP pieces well. Best LEGO Dragon)
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7094-1

Orient Expedition A new millennium classic.
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7417-1

Alien Conquest HQ
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7066-1

[quote name='bigdaddy']http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-L...207&pid=100010&prg=1102&rk=4&sd=170972148644&

I always wanted a display, more so the big mini figure guys. I just assumed the workers in the stores steal them.

[/QUOTE]

For our stores, the displays are supposed to be discarded. Sometimes an employee will take one here or there, but most of them we just throw them out behind our store and they are gone within the hour. We do this for pretty much all of our old displays.

[quote name='Unaki']Wait...They actually throw away the ENTIRE display? Sets and all?[/QUOTE]

They don't go back to Lego, I've always thought about asking for one but have never gone through the trouble of even trying.

I asked for a big LEGO guy once from a TRU that was becoming a BRU and they said they didn't know what was going on with them. But they were probably pissed they were losing their jobs.

Do people just drive back there and see what's free? I wouldn't go behind the TRU near me. I really wanted a Target display that had a 2foot LEGO Darth Vador.

The LEGOs are glued, and glued well but yeah the whole display get's dumbed.

Anyone knew what happened to this set?
http://brickset.com/detail/?set=4473-1

bread's done
Back