Marvel vs Capcom 2 (PS2) @ Gamestop.com ~$60

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It isn't confirmed, though. Confirmed means Capcom comes out says, "This game is coming out." It's more like it's been discovered to be coming out at some point.[/quote]

Same thing, the fact that achievements exist in the XBL database = confirmation, it doesn't matter if Capcom says anything or not, saying it's not coming out is just retarded at this point, is all I'm saying.

[quote name='pinoyunggoy']Now even I'm convinced. I was skeptical before, but that's just ridiculous. Where'd you find that BlueSwim?[/quote]
akilshohen posted that link in the General Fighting Game Thread. If that isn't a 100% confirmation to the nonbelievers that it's coming, I don't know what is.

Pretty good news to me, as long as it's $15 or under. I never actually played the game, but know how big it is/was and look forward to adding it to my xbla.

[quote name='sacreddoctor']i wouldn't waste my money on the ps2 version only xbox baby![/quote]

Xbox version is garbage.

[quote name='Shady3011']Compared to the Dreamcast version (which is an arcade perfect port), they are bad ports.[/quote]

You make it sound like they're unplayable messes. They're still fully playable and addictive, and anyone that's not a fighter enthusiast won't likely care about the "hardcore" differences between them.

I'll keep my mint & complete copy for PS2 in my collection as I don't have LIVE and I really play my PS2 more often than my X360.

It's a good resource for those who wanted to own a copy for themselves, though. However you obtain a copy for your system of choice, it's still a good game.

[quote name='mestrocker']they need to confirm it already[/quote]
Capcom's Captivate '09 event is being held on the 29th and they have confirmed that new games would be announced at the event. We should finally have an official confirmation in just over a week.:whee::whee::whee:

[quote name='Rozz']You make it sound like they're unplayable messes. They're still fully playable and addictive, and anyone that's not a fighter enthusiast won't likely care about the "hardcore" differences between them.[/quote]

I said they're bad ports. You're the one saying they're unplayable.

Anyway, the people looking for this game are enthusiast. I doubt a casual player would want to pay such a high entry fee to play a fighting game.

It's 100% official because a couple of kids said so? ROFL I love Gamestop raping people for $80 on this disc... this thread is full of Lulz, especially people saying how the XBOX version is "better"

Just traded in my PS2 copy for $45 (Edge+extra 20% for preordering Batman which I'll be canceling) in anticipation of the XBLA version, which will most likely be $10 and feature online play. Figured I'd be a fool to keep it when I could put that $45 towards something else as I've already got more than enough points sitting around to buy the XBLA version.

[quote name='expane']It's 100% official because a couple of kids said so? ROFL[/quote]
I assume you're talking about the XBLA/PSN port with the line I have quoted, right? In that case...

No, it's 100% official because VERY SPECIFIC product listings(Example: Iron Man vs. Mega Man) for MvC Fight Pads have started popping up with a July release date. Far from "a couple of kids" saying so. If you have an explanation for why such specific listings would show up, I'm all ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ultramanJ']Just traded in my PS2 copy for $45 (Edge+extra 20% for preordering Batman which I'll be canceling) in anticipation of the XBLA version, which will most likely be $10 and feature online play. Figured I'd be a fool to keep it when I could put that $45 towards something else as I've already got more than enough points sitting around to buy the XBLA version.[/quote]

If it was a complete copy, you could have sold it for around $90 on eBay. I sold a manual-less copy on eBay for $90.

[quote name='Shady3011']I said they're bad ports. You're the one saying they're unplayable.

Anyway, the people looking for this game are enthusiast. I doubt a casual player would want to pay such a high entry fee to play a fighting game.[/quote]

There's a reason the PS2 versions are priced that way. If everyone wanted the DC version then there would be less demand for the PS2 one and thus it wouldn't be selling for $100 and up while the DC one sits at a cool $50. So if we're going by prices and you saying that only enthusiasts are looking for it, then it looks like they're choosing the PS2 version...

Do you see where I'm getting at?

[quote name='Rozz']There's a reason the PS2 versions are priced that way. If everyone wanted the DC version then there would be less demand for the PS2 one and thus it wouldn't be selling for $100 and up while the DC one sits at a cool $50. So if we're going by prices and you saying that only enthusiasts are looking for it, then it looks like they're choosing the PS2 version...

Do you see where I'm getting at?[/quote]

I always figured it had to do with how many people have a PS2 vs. a DC. (Which I always figure is why PS2 rare titles almost always go for more than Xbox versions).

True, though, for the difference, you could buy a DC and MvC2 for the same price as the PS2 version, so ... I'm not sure what my point is. :dunce:.

[quote name='Rozz']There's a reason the PS2 versions are priced that way. If everyone wanted the DC version then there would be less demand for the PS2 one and thus it wouldn't be selling for $100 and up while the DC one sits at a cool $50. So if we're going by prices and you saying that only enthusiasts are looking for it, then it looks like they're choosing the PS2 version...

Do you see where I'm getting at?[/quote]

I think it's priced that way because of availability. The PS2 had a low print run vs the DC which had an ample release. That and console base would have a lot to do with it.

Also, most enthusiasts probably played the arcade version more than the DC seeing as how it only cost a quarter to play vs buying a $200 console at the time to play the game.

Anyway, this doesn't change the fact that it's a bad port. That's a fact, not an opinion. Its value or demand has really nothing to do with it.

Wow they're still this rare...

Long live Marvel vs. Capcom 2. By far the best and most fun arcade fighter ever made.

[quote name='BlueSwim']I assume you're talking about the XBLA/PSN port with the line I have quoted, right? In that case...

No, it's 100% official because VERY SPECIFIC product listings(Example: Iron Man vs. Mega Man) for MvC Fight Pads have started popping up with a July release date. Far from "a couple of kids" saying so. If you have an explanation for why such specific listings would show up, I'm all ears.[/QUOTE]

No, not every thread is about you or something you posted. No fight pads "popping up" does not make anything "100% official"

100% official is when Capcom announces it. We all expect it to happen. But people are saying "$10 + online play" ... that is pipe dreaming.. and likely too much pipe smoking.

XBLA/PSN port is still a widespread rumor with ZERO official confirmation. Regardless of how likely a rumor is to come true, there is no official announcement, no release date, no details on pricing, content etc..

[quote name='iRent']Wow they're still this rare...

Long live Marvel vs. Capcom 2. By far the best and most fun arcade fighter ever made.[/quote]
I second that! Can't wait to get it on XBLA! I'll need to practice more on the PS2 version...

[quote name='expane']100% official is when Capcom announces it. We all expect it to happen. But people are saying "$10 + online play" ... that is pipe dreaming.. and likely too much pipe smoking.

XBLA/PSN port is still a widespread rumor with ZERO official confirmation. Regardless of how likely a rumor is to come true, there is no official announcement, no release date, no details on pricing, content etc..[/quote]
Sorry to double-post, but I found this quote interesting. I agree with that it's not truely 100% official until Capcom announces it, but what about when the achievements for the Xbox 360 version are leaked via Xbox360Achievements.org? That's a pretty good reasoning that part of the game is in development and Capcom will eventually make an announcement, no?

[quote name='hypertails02']Sorry to double-post, but I found this quote interesting. I agree with that it's not truely 100% official until Capcom announces it, but what about when the achievements for the Xbox 360 version are leaked via Xbox360Achievements.org? That's a pretty good reasoning that part of the game is in development and Capcom will eventually make an announcement, no?[/QUOTE]

I don't anything about that .org site, so I can't comment on how or where they get their info.

I have stated that this release on XBLA/PSN seems like a sure shot. Everyone wants it and Marvel has lots of hype from Xmen/Ironman movies so the timing seems right.

All I am saying is this "100% confirmed!" "$10" stuff is not 'confirmed'. Rumors are not confirmation. Although in todays "twitter" happy world of bloggers, and "reports" of "confirmed steroid use by BJ Raji" people will gladly believe anything they want to be true.

BTW BJ Raji has been actually confirmed to have NOT tested positive for roids despite bloggers and SI.com claiming to "stand by their sources"

What we end up with is conflicting "reports" and no "official" results.

At the end of the day, I'd draft BJ Raji, but I would not spend $80 on a used Gamestop sold game unless I was going to flip on ebay for $100. Even then the $20 profit hardly seems worth the effort IMO

The biggest issue for the potential release is .. will it be an HD upgrade or a straight port? Will it have PS3 trofeeZ as well as XBLA achvs? If it's not just a port, will it have a true single player mode? (long shot)

The DC version is superior to the PS2/XBX versions and I agree that the pricing difference is more than likely due to the wider availability of the PS2 vs. the DC. Let's face it, a lot of people never bought the DC and, well, it did fail for that reason.

Regardless, it's exciting rumor at this point that Capcom might be "re-making" or "re-releasing" this title for PSN and XBL -- the website http://www.tu4ar.com/ certainly points to this direction.

Sure, it's rumor, but I think this one is well in the IT'S GONNA HAPPEN category. There are too many leaks at this point that confirm it. Capcom doesn't waste releasing arcade themed sticks for games it has no plan on releasing.

Kudos to Capcom if this turns out to be true. Marvel licenses are tied up all over the place, but it appears that the lawyers might have found some contractual loopholes or that any licenses Marvel has granted weren't exclusive. ;-)

MvC2 is coming. Should be awesome to see how it looks like at Captivate.

[quote name='expane']The biggest issue for the potential release is .. will it be an HD upgrade or a straight port?[/QUOTE] Chances are, it'll be a port. They spilled the beans over a year in advance of SSF2THDR and that game has far fewer assets to redraw than MvC2 does. MvC2 would take much longer to redo. Any HD upgrade will likely be limited to some sort of filter.

[quote name='expane']No, not every thread is about you or something you posted.[/quote]...? :whistle2:s Why don't you re-read the post you have quoted? You obviously misunderstood or misread something. Nothing about that post should have prompted that response.

[quote name='expane']No fight pads "popping up" does not make anything "100% official"

100% official is when Capcom announces it. We all expect it to happen. But people are saying "$10 + online play" ... that is pipe dreaming.. and likely too much pipe smoking.

XBLA/PSN port is still a widespread rumor with ZERO official confirmation. Regardless of how likely a rumor is to come true, there is no official announcement, no release date, no details on pricing, content etc..[/quote]I agree with you on speculating about the price, and to a lesser extent, online play. However, if we all know and agree that it's coming, why argue about the terminology people are using? Lets just celebrate!\\:D/

[quote name='Shady3011']I think it's priced that way because of availability. The PS2 had a low print run vs the DC which had an ample release. That and console base would have a lot to do with it.

Also, most enthusiasts probably played the arcade version more than the DC seeing as how it only cost a quarter to play vs buying a $200 console at the time to play the game.

Anyway, this doesn't change the fact that it's a bad port. That's a fact, not an opinion. Its value or demand has really nothing to do with it.[/quote]

First, I'm basing off my post off of the logic you used. You said that only enthusiasts are interested in this game. The PS2 version is the one that has the most demand and sells the most copies used, so by your logic it would say that most people don't care about the minor, "hardcore" differences between the versions.

The value is determined by a little thing called supply and demand, in which this game had a low print run but the demand is way up there. And as for being a bad port, I wouldn't list that as a "fact". It is your opinion that the port is not good. Most people have no problem playing this on the PS2. Unless you're an elitist, you should be fine with playing this on the PS2 or Xbox (controller issues be damned, the game is still completely intact).

who cares if its not an HD remix, as long as there is online
and i dont have to pay someone on ebay $100 to play this game i am happy

also... i hope its "arcade perfect" or the same one as the DC game cause supposedly thats the best version of the game.

[quote name='Rozz']First, I'm basing off my post off of the logic you used. You said that only enthusiasts are interested in this game. The PS2 version is the one that has the most demand and sells the most copies used, so by your logic it would say that most people don't care about the minor, "hardcore" differences between the versions.

The value is determined by a little thing called supply and demand, in which this game had a low print run but the demand is way up there. And as for being a bad port, I wouldn't list that as a "fact". It is your opinion that the port is not good. Most people have no problem playing this on the PS2. Unless you're an elitist, you should be fine with playing this on the PS2 or Xbox (controller issues be damned, the game is still completely intact).[/QUOTE]

While I wouldn't declare the PS2 port bad by any measure, the DC port is the closest to the genuine arcade version. This actually is a fact. Hardcore fighting folks know the DC version is the best of the console offerings.

That said, while I agree with you on the supply/demand concept, I do think the PS2 version sells for more b/c its print-run was small relative to the number of PS2s that are out there today. I don't think that speaks at all to which port is better. To purists, the DC is the favorite -- though I use the arcade stick (for all the fighters the DC got, that controller was wacky).

Remember the game was printed early in the PS2's lifecycle (2002) and then Capcom couldn't reprint it because it lost the Marvel license. I'm sure Capcom would have sent it back for more had it not lost its license -- I mean, this is Capcom -- plenty of its titles get GH treatment.

Further, most casual players either don't know about the DC or aren't willing to shell out $50 for one just to play this game. I mean, the DC is a great machine, but hunting down titles for it is just a pain in the arse at this point (not to mention needlessly expensive).

Is the PS2 version the best port? Definitely not. Is it the one is most demand? Yes, but we all know purchase demand doesn't reflect quality or the better version. By that measure, the original XBOX versions of 3rd party cross-release games should have sold better b/c they were the best versions (in most cases), but that's hardly what happened.

This is just another case where penetration figures win out.

[quote name='BlueSwim']..

I agree with you on speculating about the price, and to a lesser extent, online play. However, if we all know and agree that it's coming, why argue about the terminology people are using? Lets just celebrate!\\:D/[/QUOTE]

I don't celebrate unconfirmed rumors :) BTW the BJ Raji report from SI.com has been "officially" retracted. This is why I don't trust "rumors". By definition, they are unconfirmed. I also don't like to count my chickens. We don't know what this potential port even looks like, never mind plays like. Just remember how bad it is on XBX360 BC

[quote name='romeogbs19']While I wouldn't declare the PS2 port bad by any measure, the DC port is the closest to the genuine arcade version. This actually is a fact. Hardcore fighting folks know the DC version is the best of the console offerings.

That said, while I agree with you on the supply/demand concept, I do think the PS2 version sells for more b/c its print-run was small relative to the number of PS2s that are out there today. I don't think that speaks at all to which port is better. To purists, the DC is the favorite -- though I use the arcade stick (for all the fighters the DC got, that controller was wacky).

Remember the game was printed early in the PS2's lifecycle (2002) and then Capcom couldn't reprint it because it lost the Marvel license. I'm sure Capcom would have sent it back for more had it not lost its license -- I mean, this is Capcom -- plenty of its titles get GH treatment.

Further, most casual players either don't know about the DC or aren't willing to shell out $50 for one just to play this game. I mean, the DC is a great machine, but hunting down titles for it is just a pain in the arse at this point (not to mention needlessly expensive).

Is the PS2 version the best port? Definitely not. Is it the one is most demand? Yes, but we all know purchase demand doesn't reflect quality or the better version. By that measure, the original XBOX versions of 3rd party cross-release games should have sold better b/c they were the best versions (in most cases), but that's hardly what happened.

This is just another case where penetration figures win out.[/quote]

I can't argue with this post. The points I were making though were directly in response to another member and not how I felt about it.

[quote name='dafunkk12']More fuel for the fire: http://www.tu4ar.com/

I saw this on the Capcom_Unity twitter feed. If you watch your status bar, you'll see it loads assets from Capcom's domain.[/quote]

Yeah I saw this on their twitter too, and I gotta admit, even up till now I still had some lingering doubts about the whole MvC2 thing, but this seals the deal for me, cause it's the first real OFFICIAL news on this.

tu4ar = take you for a ride, btw.

Personally I'm not too bothered about it, cause I've been playing it all these years on both DC and PS2, but I'm more excited by the fact that this could mean Capcom is somehow working with the Marvel license again. MvC3?

The arguments in this thread all remind me of the time I had a naked girl asleep in my bed and I went down to get some water or something, noticed my computer was on, noticed somebody claimed that Superman could beat the Hulk, and began writing a twelve page diatribe about what an idiot he was.

...somewhere in the middle of that the girl calls down:

"What are you doing down there?"

For a fraction of an inkling of a *segment* of a second... I actually thought about telling her what I was doing. Then the thought of it smacked me over the head like a falling bookshelf.

"NOTHING."

I went back to bed and I never posted on Gamefaqs again.

[quote name='rainless']The arguments in this thread all remind me of the time I had a naked girl asleep in my bed and I went down to get some water or something, noticed my computer was on, noticed somebody claimed that Superman could beat the Hulk, and began writing a twelve page diatribe about what an idiot he was.

For a fraction of an inkling of a *segment* of a second... I actually thought about telling her what I was doing. Then the thought of it smacked me over the head like a falling bookshelf.

"NOTHING."

I went back to bed and I never posted on Gamefaqs again.[/quote]

Pics now or it never happened. ;)

[quote name='Rozz']First, I'm basing off my post off of the logic you used. You said that only enthusiasts are interested in this game. The PS2 version is the one that has the most demand and sells the most copies used, so by your logic it would say that most people don't care about the minor, "hardcore" differences between the versions.

The value is determined by a little thing called supply and demand, in which this game had a low print run but the demand is way up there. And as for being a bad port, I wouldn't list that as a "fact". It is your opinion that the port is not good. Most people have no problem playing this on the PS2. Unless you're an elitist, you should be fine with playing this on the PS2 or Xbox (controller issues be damned, the game is still completely intact).[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't an enthusiast care about those changes? Sure they might be willing to pay more because it's harder to get, but wouldn't they want something that replicates the arcade experience?

At the same time, the prices are high because it's not just people that want to play the game that are buying it. Collectors, resellers, other interested people are trying to get it at the moment. If it wasn't for that, the game's perceived value would be a lot lower even if it did have a low print run.

As for a bad port, I would think those problems would cause most frustration and not be too happy with their purchase. Also, there is no excuse for control problems especially in a fighting game where a win or a loss can be decided by a single frame.

[quote name='iPhone']Wouldn't an enthusiast care about those changes? Sure they might be willing to pay more because it's harder to get, but wouldn't they want something that replicates the arcade experience?

At the same time, the prices are high because it's not just people that want to play the game that are buying it. Collectors, resellers, other interested people are trying to get it at the moment. If it wasn't for that, the game's perceived value would be a lot lower even if it did have a low print run.

As for a bad port, I would think those problems would cause most frustration and not be too happy with their purchase. Also, there is no excuse for control problems especially in a fighting game where a win or a loss can be decided by a single frame.[/quote]

Oh who gives a damn already! Five pages of this is ridiculous.

It's obviously worth it to some people not worth it to others.

Moving on...

[quote name='rainless']The arguments in this thread all remind me of the time I had a naked girl asleep in my bed and I went down to get some water or something, noticed my computer was on, noticed somebody claimed that Superman could beat the Hulk, and began writing a twelve page diatribe about what an idiot he was.

"NOTHING."

I went back to bed and I never posted on Gamefaqs again.[/quote]

Wow, you had a real naked girl in your bed?! How did you score that?

wow mvc2 is coming for PSN. all of a certain GS has copies in stock. GS probably opens up new copies so they can sell it at the used price. really classy GS.

[quote name='fairtrade']If so just please God don't let it be in 3D. :pray:[/QUOTE]
Not 3D? That's the next logical step! Marvel vs. Capcom 3...D! Then the next one will be a play on the number four, like Marvel vs. Capcom Forever. Get it? Four-ever! HAHAHAHAHAHAhhahaha...choke. Seriously, though, where's my Duke Nukem?

Also seriously, I think we've seen great strides in "cel shading" techniques where, if it's just an aesthetic thing, it can retain the hand-drawn look while allowing for some great dynamic camera movements. And what's the Vs. series if not dynamic? I think it'd be a great hook to have all the characters hand drawn by famous comic artists, but it would either be a coup for one single lucky guy's vision or a hot mess of many different art styles.

[quote name='jubeininja69']GS probably opens up new copies so they can sell it at the used price. really classy GS.[/QUOTE]

That is both ridiculous and inane. I commend your poor logic.

I think the PS2 version is more popular because:

1] Even though it's not as good as the Dreamcast version, it's still pretty good
2] PS2 is a more recent system
3] more people have PS2 sticks than DC sticks

[quote name='RLaidEPeas']Wow, you had a real naked girl in your bed?! How did you score that?[/quote]

Craigslist's erotic services section and $500? :lol:

As for MvC3 in 3D being the next logical step I can't agree with that. Even SF4 was a huge disappointment. And if they take MvC to 3D it can be used as an excuse to cut the number of characters back down to like 20 or some crazy low number. :(

[quote name='rainless']The arguments in this thread all remind me of the time I had a naked girl asleep in my bed and I went down to get some water or something, noticed my computer was on, noticed somebody claimed that Superman could beat the Hulk, and began writing a twelve page diatribe about what an idiot he was.[/QUOTE]

Superman can - and DID - defeat the Hulk. You lose. :p

[quote name='fairtrade']Even SF4 was a huge disappointment.[/quote]

By whose standards?

[quote name='thegreatjuanito']M A M E

just make sure you own the real PCB[/quote]

No. MvC2 is on Naomi hardware. Naomi isn't supported by MAME.

bread's done
Back