MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a couple threads posted on a forum about both guys being injured, and I didn't even bother to click I was so certain they were troll threads. Can't believe Edgar AND Maynard got injured, although the fight was called off because of Maynard and his knee injury/facial cut.

That card got a decent amount worse, and its 2 months delayed AND we don't know how Edgar will look coming off a rib/back injury and Maynard with a knee injury. Arg!

In other news, Jim Miller is fighting Ben Henderson. Awww yeeeah, I think that is an excellent fight...that Bendo will win. If he was able to take Bocek's smothering and succeed, he will be able to outstrike and possibly wrestle Miller.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
In other news, Jim Miller is fighting Ben Henderson. Awww yeeeah, I think that is an excellent fight...that Bendo will win. If he was able to take Bocek's smothering and succeed, he will be able to outstrike and possibly wrestle Miller.[/QUOTE]

thats a good fight for both entertainment value and rankings. looking forward to it.

Thats a good decision there by Joe Silva I'd assume putting that match together.Going with Miller but a good fight in a clogged up division.

does anyone think maynard actually deserves a 3rd title shot? i don't. i felt he clearly lost it twice and it's time for someone else to get a chance.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']does anyone think maynard actually deserves a 3rd title shot? i don't. i felt he clearly lost it twice and it's time for someone else to get a chance.[/QUOTE]

Maynard only fought for the title once and that was against Edgar.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']does anyone think maynard actually deserves a 3rd title shot? i don't. i felt he clearly lost it twice and it's time for someone else to get a chance.[/QUOTE]

what are you talking about?

I wanted to see him win that last fight, but after a possible 10-7 1st round I think frankie won the last 4 and the fight.

The only time I really think there should be an immediate rematch is when I title fight goes to a draw, like it did. Those two guys deserve the right to settle that outcome.

[quote name='paz9x']what are you talking about?

I wanted to see him win that last fight, but after a possible 10-7 1st round I think frankie won the last 4 and the fight.

The only time I really think there should be an immediate rematch is when I title fight goes to a draw, like it did. Those two guys deserve the right to settle that outcome.[/QUOTE]

a 10-7? has there ever been one of those awarded in the history of MMA?

anyway i realize i didn't mean 3rd titleshot but rather 3rd fight with edgar. i thought a draw was being really friendly to him since he only managed to win 1 round. i think this fight is likely to just get another 5 round decision except he probably won't land the big shot this time since edgar will be even more careful.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']a 10-7? has there ever been one of those awarded in the history of MMA?

anyway i realize i didn't mean 3rd titleshot but rather 3rd fight with edgar. i thought a draw was being really friendly to him since he only managed to win 1 round. i think this fight is likely to just get another 5 round decision except he probably won't land the big shot this time since edgar will be even more careful.[/QUOTE]

yes there has i know of at least twice in the ufc alone, the starnes/quarry fight one or two of the judges awarded a 10-7 round, as well as the morgan/petz fight.

and i dont know how you could say he clearly lost to edgar twice. he clearly beat him the first time. though i agree edgar won the second fight.

I think this fight is going to go like the second round of their last fight, but you never know.

People who aren't excited for Maynard/Edgar III are not true MMA fans. This is a huge, exciting fight and while it has been called off for a couple of months I do think when the fight happens it will be a solid one. Every fight in their soon-to-be trilogy has been good, which is something that rarely happens in MMA.

In other news, Brock Lesnar pulled out of his fight with an injury and Dos Santos will go on to fight Shane Carwin. Interesting match up, but I was surprised at how heavily Dos Santos was favored (considering he was a very small favorite over Lesnar).

i'm not excited because i don't expect it to be that great of a fight this time.
i think we're gonna see edgar play the gsp role and forget about finishing.

i think dos santos kinda got a bad deal here because carwin is much more able to play on the feet than lesnar is. i find that a much more interesting fight and lesnar and dos santos have no opinion of each other anyway.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i'm not excited because i don't expect it to be that great of a fight this time.
i think we're gonna see edgar play the gsp role and forget about finishing.

i think dos santos kinda got a bad deal here because carwin is much more able to play on the feet than lesnar is. i find that a much more interesting fight and lesnar and dos santos have no opinion of each other anyway.[/QUOTE]

Edgar being compared to GSP is just a disgrace buddy. The difference between the two is that GSP WON'T finish, Edgar just has no power.

And in any case, I think the likelyhood of a submission win for Edgar is quite high. Maynard has almost been caught in submissions in both fights and Edgar is only improving on the ground.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']i think dos santos kinda got a bad deal here because carwin is much more able to play on the feet than lesnar is. i find that a much more interesting fight and lesnar and dos santos have no opinion of each other anyway.[/QUOTE]

While that's true, I think Carwin is overrated. He's basically a more skilled version of Kimbo Slice. He's a gas can. If he doesn't win in 60 seconds, he's done. Dos Santos would be smart to just make him move for the 1st round, and then lay down the hammer in the 2nd round. Junior being a bigger favorite against Carwin than he was against Lesnar makes sense to me. I think he matches up better with Carwin (ie. no takedown threat).

[quote name='n8rockerasu']While that's true, I think Carwin is overrated. He's basically a more skilled version of Kimbo Slice. He's a gas can. If he doesn't win in 60 seconds, he's done. Dos Santos would be smart to just make him move for the 1st round, and then lay down the hammer in the 2nd round. Junior being a bigger favorite against Carwin than he was against Lesnar makes sense to me. I think he matches up better with Carwin (ie. no takedown threat).[/QUOTE]

it's hard to say because 12 fighters were unable to make it out of the first round with him. carwin is a collegiate wrestler so i don't think underestimating his conditioning is smart. he had one bad performance in his whole career so you're pretty early in calling his weaknesses just yet. i think carwin takes JDS down just as easily as Lesnar except he doesn't have a fear of getting hit and trading blows. i still stand by this being a much worse matchup for him.

also, edgar has NO POWER? how in the world can a grown man throw a knee or kick into another guy and not have the force to KO unless his technique is simply designed to score points and not damage?

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']it's hard to say because 12 fighters were unable to make it out of the first round with him. carwin is a collegiate wrestler so i don't think underestimating his conditioning is smart. he had one bad performance in his whole career so you're pretty early in calling his weaknesses just yet. i think carwin takes JDS down just as easily as Lesnar except he doesn't have a fear of getting hit and trading blows. i still stand by this being a much worse matchup for him.

also, edgar has NO POWER? how in the world can a grown man throw a knee or kick into another guy and not have the force to KO unless his technique is simply designed to score points and not damage?[/QUOTE]

Come on buddy, I know you don't think all people have equal power...that is just idiotic. The fact is, Frankie Edgar does not have that much punching power. Underrated, sure, but he doesn't stop or even hurt people all that often. The way he moves and strikes has something to do with that, but even if he sat down on his punches I don't think he would be a dynamite knockout fighter.

Also, Carwin IS a fighter with TERRIBLE stamina. He has 1 round of cardio at best to score the knockout, but after that he gasses out badly. His fight with Lesnar was not just bad luck, it was just Carwin being taken into the 2nd round. Also, Shane is not a great wrestler. You can mention his credentials all you want but not only does not not wrestle much, I don't think he has explosive takedown ability. IMO Dos Santos will avoid the first two or three minutes, possibly the whole first round and stop Carwin with ease after Shane gasses out and stops moving/throwing punches/defending himself.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']it's hard to say because 12 fighters were unable to make it out of the first round with him. carwin is a collegiate wrestler so i don't think underestimating his conditioning is smart. he had one bad performance in his whole career so you're pretty early in calling his weaknesses just yet. i think carwin takes JDS down just as easily as Lesnar except he doesn't have a fear of getting hit and trading blows. i still stand by this being a much worse matchup for him.[/QUOTE]

Sure, he was a collegiate wrestler. But he's no spring chicken and he's carrying around a lot of weight. I'll admit that I might be quick to call him out on it, but what I see is a reason his other fights didn't get out of the 1st round. I could be wrong, but just looking at the guy, I doubt it.

Even if Carwin has a decent shot, Junior is going to be quicker. Is Carwin confident enough that he can get Junior down? Or is he going to just stand and bang? I don't see him outboxing Junior, so like Brock, he'll most likely need to overwhelm him. If Dos Santos can weather the storm (which I think he can), I don't see him losing the fight. Who knows, maybe Carwin will surprise me. But I'd put my money on Junior.

I think Junior himself respects/fears Carwins hands a lot more than you guys do. I think Junior avoiding him and hoping for another gas out is his best option, but you gotta think if Shane has done nothing since his loss to Lesnar it's train cardio.

I don't think Carwin feels he has to take this to the ground as nobody has ever rocked/dropped him with punches really. He'll likely look to put JDS into the fence and then dirty box him. JDS's key to victory is going to be moving sideways away from Carwin's power hand and try to use his speed to pick him apart.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I don't think Carwin feels he has to take this to the ground as nobody has ever rocked/dropped him with punches really. [/QUOTE]

gonzaga

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I think Junior himself respects/fears Carwins hands a lot more than you guys do. I think Junior avoiding him and hoping for another gas out is his best option, but you gotta think if Shane has done nothing since his loss to Lesnar it's train cardio.

I don't think Carwin feels he has to take this to the ground as nobody has ever rocked/dropped him with punches really. He'll likely look to put JDS into the fence and then dirty box him. JDS's key to victory is going to be moving sideways away from Carwin's power hand and try to use his speed to pick him apart.[/QUOTE]

As mentioned, Gonzaga did stun him. Granted he's a big puncher, but Junior hits very hard (up there in the top 8 or so for hardest punchers). We all know Carwin has poor stamina, but I don't trust his chin and his grappling ability either.

I think Dos Santos moves around, allows Carwin to slow a bit after missing some shots and then swoops in and starts landing speedy shots.

Posted up on Shane's FB about how everyone thinks his is going to lose. So at the very least he knows what we all think about what strats to go with. He's the lightest he's ever been apparently and is looking for you guys to have to eat some serious crow about his conditioning.

I wish we could do a username bet or something of somekind like we do on the UG.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Posted up on Shane's FB about how everyone thinks his is going to lose. So at the very least he knows what we all think about what strats to go with. He's the lightest he's ever been apparently and is looking for you guys to have to eat some serious crow about his conditioning.

I wish we could do a username bet or something of somekind like we do on the UG.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I'll be expecting an angry phone call from Shane then. :)

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Posted up on Shane's FB about how everyone thinks his is going to lose. So at the very least he knows what we all think about what strats to go with. He's the lightest he's ever been apparently and is looking for you guys to have to eat some serious crow about his conditioning.

I wish we could do a username bet or something of somekind like we do on the UG.[/QUOTE]

Haha, Carwin coming down in weight a little bit won't help his stamina significantly. The guy has poor conditioning, and usually those issues are related to lung size, etc. Plus, if Carwin loses weight he will be losing muscle (he's basically all muscle), which isn't a good thing either.

Not saying there's no way he'll win, and people are betting on him to win the fight, but IMO Dos Santos has a lot more advantages.

This Wednesday's episode of TUF kicks off MMA month. So much stuff on the schedule. I love it.

UFC 130: Rampage vs. Hamill
May 28, 2011

DREAM.17: Fight for Japan
May 29, 2011

The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale
Jun 04, 2011

UFC 131: Dos Santos vs. Carwin
Jun 11, 2011

Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum
Jun 18, 2011

Strikeforce Challengers 16
Jun 24, 2011

Bellator 46
Jun 25, 2011

UFC on Versus 4: Marquardt vs. Johnson
Jun 26, 2011

UFC 132: Cruz vs. Faber II
Jul 02, 2011

And that doesn't include Titan Fights this Friday and more importantly - It's Showtime 6/11! BTW, did anyone catch the Its Showtime from Friday? Ghita continues to be a monster by just destroying his opponents legs.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Haha, Carwin coming down in weight a little bit won't help his stamina significantly. The guy has poor conditioning, and usually those issues are related to lung size, etc. Plus, if Carwin loses weight he will be losing muscle (he's basically all muscle), which isn't a good thing either.

Not saying there's no way he'll win, and people are betting on him to win the fight, but IMO Dos Santos has a lot more advantages.[/QUOTE]

lung size? poor conditioning? losing muscle? didn't realize you were his doctor.
i'm pumped to see this fight even more now.

MMA month is craaazy. how will i manage to watch all of that?

[quote name='icp_00_111']Mayhem and Bisping will be the coaches on TUF 14, I can't wait! These two should provide plenty of interesting tv.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Maklershed']Son I am excite!!! TUF 14 = best season ever. Calling it now.[/QUOTE]

Im a fan of mayhem. I think the combination of the coaches and the new to tuf weight classes will be a big boost.

I havent seen a list of the fighters, has anybody seen one yet?

Good to see Mayhem and Bisping officially penned in as the next TUF coaches. No disrespect to their abilities as fighters, but Dos and Brock just don't have what it take to fuel the reality TV machine.

Tito, BJ, Rampage, Koscheck... at least one coach being an unruly superdick is what what makes TUF what it is. Bisping can be a dick, and Mayhem can be one hell of a dick. That's going to be awesome TV.

Hey guys. I just wanted to share something with you all, should it interest you or if you might not be in front of a computer/TV for the fights.

RadioIO.com is going to be doing live coverage of the fights tonight. So, if you've got a smartphone or anything like that, you can just type in the site and listen there. It'll be under "Bubba Army Radio" and on "Bubba One".

Figure I'd share that with you all, since that's how I'll be listening for the first hour since I'll be at work. Kinda curious how MMA on radio will translate.

If anyone watcxhes UFC, WWE, or even TNa check out this site. They stream all PPVs for about 8 bucks a month PPV and its HQ they also stream all weekly wrestling and ufc shows. This is a video stream not audio. Just go to the site and check it out its a great deal. They also have a lifetime membership. It saves you money in the long run. http://wsnwrestling.com/index.php

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='seen']Man, Rampage is garbage now compared to his pride days. That fight was like foreplay with no finish![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call stuffing every takedown from a 3-time NCAA National Champion (even if it is DIII) wrestler "garbage". Sure, Rampage didn't take a lot of chances, but he claimed his hand was fractured too. And I'd rather him win than get KTFO like Stefan Struve. It just isn't worth risking when you can coast to an easy win. I felt the same way about the Mir/Nelson fight. Now, Mir clearly outclassed Nelson, but there's always that feeling that one lucky punch could turn the tide.

Speaking of Big Fatty, what's the over/under on how many more fights before he gets cut? I know there are worse fighters in the HW division, but that guy is a disgrace to professional fighting. His last two fights have completely exposed him as the fat slob he really is. With 2:00 left in the 2nd round, he's flailing around like a drunken idiot. You could go to any bar in America and see guys fight like him. It's obvious he doesn't take anything seriously, but then we hear about "not judging a book by its cover". Then he fights and it looks exactly like the cover. What upside could he possibly have?

Were we not watching the same fight? In the first round if you watched closely Rampage had great head movement (for mma) and had Hammil flinching on every movement. I was awaiting for the feint jab and a good night right, that never happened. In the second he looked slow and almost respectful of a guy who showed no strength. Rampage was never in danger or ever hurt aside from the scratch above his eye.

I'll agree with you his take-down defense was great tonight a big improvement over the Evans fight. He improved his defense at the expense of looking extremely tentative when he had so many opportunities to finish the fight, he just never let his hands go. I loved his movement in the first but after that he never took advantage of Hamill's exposed weakness's

[quote name='seen']Were we not watching the same fight? In the first round if you watched closely Rampage had great head movement (for mma) and had Hammil flinching on every movement. I was awaiting for the feint jab and a good night right, that never happened. In the second he looked slow and almost respectful of a guy who showed no strength. Rampage was never in danger or ever hurt aside from the scratch above his eye.

I'll agree with you his take-down defense was great tonight a big improvement over the Evans fight. He improved his defense at the expense of looking extremely tentative when he had so many opportunities to finish the fight, he just never let his hands go. I loved his movement in the first but after that he never took advantage of Hamill's exposed weakness's[/QUOTE]

Well, again, it depends how "fractured" his hand really was. Could he have fought better? Sure. But a win is a win. The way I generally feel about decision victories is never blame the guy who won the decision. Blame the guy who lost it (especially if he's lost every round up to the last one). Too often we see guys fighting with no desperation when they're clearly losing the fight. The one exception was the Alves/Story fight. It was refreshing to see Thiago recognize that he was down 2-0 and go balls to the wall in the final round. It was too little, too late, but at least he didn't coast to a loss.

I was even kinda pissed about the advice Rampage's corner gave him before the 3rd round when they told him "stay on him and finish him". If you're up 2-0, fuck that shit. Don't take any chances and allow him to get lucky. In a sport where one punch ends many fights, there's not much room for being "in danger". Make him come to you, and when he gets overly aggressive (which any fighter who is losing SHOULD do), counter him and put him to sleep. But there's no reason for the winning fighter to be aggressive in the last round. Blame Hamill for a boring ending. Not Rampage.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']lung size? poor conditioning? losing muscle? didn't realize you were his doctor.
i'm pumped to see this fight even more now.

MMA month is craaazy. how will i manage to watch all of that?[/QUOTE]

Its not about being his doctor, its about knowing what happens when you begin to cut weight, especially when you look like Shane Carwin and you're cutting weight.

Trust me, when he comes in against Dos Santos and gasses (assuming he doesn't get knocked out before he gasses), I will be ready to bump this post up.

I guess n8rockerasu we watch the sport differently. From your response (which is totally valid) you support more of whats best for the fighter. I enjoy technical fights where there is action, but Hamill v Rampage was a total letdown there.

Again I return to my point that if you re-watch the first round, Rampage uses a lot of head feints which Hamill flinches at (around 3min left in the 1st) this tells me that Rampage could use some feints and destroy him. I never saw Rampage in any danger either the entire fight and when he got hit it didn't seem to affect him. It almost as thought it seemed like he was playing it extra safe, but I don't understand the reasoning not to bring it when he wants a match-up with Jones who destroyed Hamill till the unfortunate stoppage.

Its obvious that Jackson didn't let his hands go and try extremely hard for a finish because he didn't want to get surprised and taken down. He fights poorly off his back and could easily lose the entire round if Hamill was able to take him down. I'm not going to say the fight wasn't boring (it was), I'm just saying I know why Jackson fought the way he did.

Now if you want to see a real nice, technical but exciting match, Torres/Johnson was excellent grappling.

I understand that he was worried about getting taken down but throughout the fight showed he could stuff it. He should have tried to knock his lights out in the 3rd, since he had the fight in the bag and against Jones will have to fight off his back a bit.

I enjoyed seeing Struve being turned into a diving board, it was funny how he tried to get back up and act like it was stopped early after the ref jumped on him. Brian Stann did well for the veterans as well with his brutal ko which the ref was like 3 punches late on the stoppage.

Should be something to see Henderson vs Fedor at Heavyweight July 30, at the Sears Center in Illinois, hopefully they'll both come to fight.

"He should have tried to knock his lights out in the 3rd"???? Whaaaaaaaaaa.....? If you have the fight "in the bag", why would you try to knock him out cold? Hamill's a tough mofo with decent power as well, and it just isn't smart, veteran fighting to try to finish in a situation like that.

P.S. I will tell you this about Henderson/Fedor. Its a "heavyweight" fight, and if Henderson comes in all fat (212 or above I think) I would not pick him to win. Fedor is little, Henderson doesn't need to come in any higher then 210 pound AT THE MOST. Otherwise he could be giving something up skillwise.

I thought Rampage should have tried to knock him down in the first or second, I was just so frustrated by the 3rd after seeing the lackluster co-main event I wanted a finish. I know that it isn't smart to go all out when you have a lead, but it just seemed like a slow ppv card at times.

UFC + zzzzz = no surprise to me. I don't go into a card expecting a good one, nobody can think like that or their life will be filled with disappointments hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back