Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video 520 Store Liquidation - Starts Thursday 9/27/07

little_krampy

CAGiversary!
Credit goes to Whatdouknow at SD

They are not releasing a list of stores, but I googled my city and "hollywood video closing" and found one in my town that is closing. Maybe calling a store would get you more info on what is going on in your region. If anyone finds out what the markdown will be please post!!!

Movie Gallery Announces Consolidation of Store Operations
DOTHAN, Ala., Sept. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Movie Gallery, Inc. (Nasdaq: MOVI) today announced that it plans to close approximately 520 underperforming and unprofitable Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores. As previously announced, the Company has been accelerating its efforts to conserve cash and reduce the Company's cost structure to address the financial and industry challenges it has been experiencing.

Joe Malugen, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Movie Gallery, said, "Closing these stores was a difficult, but necessary decision to help protect the future of this Company. These stores are being closed after evaluating a number of factors, including store profits and the terms of the leases at each location. This action will allow us to focus our resources on the approximate 4,000 stores that have a stronger operating performance and prospects for future growth.

We thank our many associates and partners who have remained loyal to us over the years," continued Malugen. "Where possible we will work with the customers at these locations to transfer their accounts to other nearby Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video locations. The talented associates and partners in the stores that will be closing have been notified. As always, we remain committed to treating all affected employees fairly and providing the necessary assistance to make this transition as smooth as possible"

Movie Gallery has retained an outside professional services firm, the Great American Group, to assist it in conducting sales of the inventory at the closing stores.

Columbus oh stores:
Bruce rd, high st, Hamilton rd.

Hamilton only had nhl08 in,they shipped the rest to stores staying open. Its a waste of time.

Columbus oh stores:
Bruce rd, high st, Hamilton rd.

Hamilton only had nhl08 in,they shipped the rest to stores staying open. Its a waste of time.

Same in the store in my area. 20% off things I wasn't interested in. Although there was MySims and Super Paper Mario new for 20% off. GBA cart only games, no used PSP games which is why I dropped by. No used consoles either.

The HV side was going out of business also but only offering 20% off which was worse than buy 2 get 2 promos they ran prior to the closing sale.

It looked like most of the hampton roads/va beach stores were closing. I don't have the link right now where I saw that.

I did see that the charlottesville, VA store is staying, and haven't found anything else about central virginia

What about any stores in GA? We already had one fold a month back there is still one left near me plus a Hollywood.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']The list so far

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=616484[/QUOTE]
the store locater on the website sucks. The store in Gresham is already "closed" and has had a lot of stock moved already to neighboring stores.

670 Nw Eastman Pkwy
Gresham, OR 97030

Also: all PS3/Xbox360/Wii stuff was shipped to the other stores. No new gen available. repeat: no new gen available.

This is a miracle...have yet to hear about any stores closing in Michigan..Hollywood video must be the only company to keep jobs in this state. BOOOOO I want cheap games!!!!

[quote name='Bune']the store locater on the website sucks. The store in Gresham is already "closed" and has had a lot of stock moved already to neighboring stores.

670 Nw Eastman Pkwy
Gresham, OR 97030

Also: all PS3/Xbox360/Wii stuff was shipped to the other stores. No new gen available. repeat: no new gen available.[/QUOTE]

I was just about to post the Gresham one. I was sure with the huge density of Hollywood's in the Portland area more would be closing. I thought for a second that might be the one that I bought my Elite at (with the GC extended warranty they forced on me). But I guess that was a different store (must be a far east Portland store). Did this Gresham one include a Gamecrazy or was it just a regular store?

I checked out my local HV today (which was taken off of HV website, by the way). The results weren't so satisfying. All movies are 20% off. All video game accessories are 20% of retail price (I found a wired X360 controller and a remote control for the Xbox 1, both 20% off of $40 and $25 respectively, BLAH!). It'd be great if they were 15.99 like the rest of the video games.

My HV has a ton of vid game boxes out on display, but only a handful of them are in stock and for sale. The cashier let me go behind the counter and look at their vid game stash (you should ask the cashier to let you do the same to save you time). All they have are last gen C-rated games (flushed away, rattatuee *spelling* and the likes). 4 X360 games are left are 3 sport games, and 1 copy of Phantasy Star universe. All other next gen games and good last gen games are moved over to the nearest HV (which there are TWO in my area *sigh*)

Hope some of you out there will have better luck. And don't forget to ask the cashier to let you look at their behind-the-counter stash.

CALL THIS COMPANY, THEY HANDLING ALL STORES ALL STATES

Los Angeles (HQ)
6330 Variel Avenue
Suite 100
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
ph: 818.884.3737

[quote name='Jedi1979']Hollywood Video in Middletown NY was clossing...got quite a few raritys posted in this thread http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3402638#post3402638[/quote]

LOL I always knew there were probably other CAGs up in that area of NY, though from the looks of the BB in Middletown when I first hit it while I was up there at an auto auction, I thought NO ONE else from CAG hit that store.

Mind you, I'm not even FROM that way, but I have routinely hit Middletown and Poughkeepsies BB/GS/TRU stores for a bunch of stuff. Best haul was like 65-75 penny guides in a day from BB. :whistle2:#

I know I hit the Blockbuster down the main drag past all the shopping areas, but I found nothing of worth there last time I was there.

And so far, I haven't checked any of my local HV to see if they're closing up or not, but I guess I should get on it before someone else cleans them out, huh?

Doesn't appear that either Fullerton, CA location is closing. If I had to guess, the Tustin location probably will as that store is out in the middle of nowhere and never does well.

If the other stores are anything like the two I visited today, don't bother going. The liquidation company had already pulled anything worth buying, and even at 20% off, their used games were scratched up and over priced.

[quote name='io']I was just about to post the Gresham one. I was sure with the huge density of Hollywood's in the Portland area more would be closing. I thought for a second that might be the one that I bought my Elite at (with the GC extended warranty they forced on me). But I guess that was a different store (must be a far east Portland store). Did this Gresham one include a Gamecrazy or was it just a regular store?[/QUOTE]
I actually went to the wrong one. My son was getting tired so I just came home and did some phone work to figure out which one was closing. The store locater on the website sent me to the one further out in Gresham, not that one. I live in Vancouver so I have no idea what the other one has. I may try to go over there tomorrow morning, though. (traffic being what it is, I'm not going right now!)

Picked up official MS-brand 360 controller (wired) for $12. Obviously mispriced, but the clerk gave it to me at that price with no questions.
Thanks OP!

I hope this thread doesn't bring out the selfish hoarders of CAG. Please, if you're finding deals, let us know which stores are closing.

[quote name='tamno1']I checked out my local HV today (which was taken off of HV website, by the way). The results weren't so satisfying. All movies are 20% off. All video game accessories are 20% of retail price (I found a wired X360 controller and a remote control for the Xbox 1, both 20% off of $40 and $25 respectively, BLAH!). It'd be great if they were 15.99 like the rest of the video games.

My HV has a ton of vid game boxes out on display, but only a handful of them are in stock and for sale. The cashier let me go behind the counter and look at their vid game stash (you should ask the cashier to let you do the same to save you time). All they have are last gen C-rated games (flushed away, rattatuee *spelling* and the likes). 4 X360 games are left are 3 sport games, and 1 copy of Phantasy Star universe. All other next gen games and good last gen games are moved over to the nearest HV (which there are TWO in my area *sigh*)

Hope some of you out there will have better luck. And don't forget to ask the cashier to let you look at their behind-the-counter stash.[/QUOTE]

Which store is this? I swear it sounds like the one in Glendora, CA.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL I always knew there were probably other CAGs up in that area of NY, though from the looks of the BB in Middletown when I first hit it while I was up there at an auto auction, I thought NO ONE else from CAG hit that store.

Mind you, I'm not even FROM that way, but I have routinely hit Middletown and Poughkeepsies BB/GS/TRU stores for a bunch of stuff. Best haul was like 65-75 penny guides in a day from BB. :whistle2:#

I know I hit the Blockbuster down the main drag past all the shopping areas, but I found nothing of worth there last time I was there.

And so far, I haven't checked any of my local HV to see if they're closing up or not, but I guess I should get on it before someone else cleans them out, huh?[/quote]

i have never had any interest in the penny guides so no worrys there

[quote name='Bune']I actually went to the wrong one. My son was getting tired so I just came home and did some phone work to figure out which one was closing. The store locater on the website sent me to the one further out in Gresham, not that one. I live in Vancouver so I have no idea what the other one has. I may try to go over there tomorrow morning, though. (traffic being what it is, I'm not going right now!)[/quote]

I can't imagine any in portland or vancouver closing. especially with so many game crazy's near by for them to move their excess stock to. that being said if you see any

[quote name='Jedi1979']i have never had any interest in the penny guides so no worrys there[/quote]

But....what about the clearance games up there? :whistle2:# Cause, I think I used to hit those too.

I stopped by the Greenfield, WI store (on 76th by Aladdin's Castle & TJ Max). All movies in their center floor are $7.50 but season sets are sold by individual disc. Newer movies range from $8-$20. Snacks & food were 75 cents to $1.50. No next gen games, but they did had 20% off next gen accessories. All games were $19.99 with 20% taken off. They had Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube games. Nothing too special though. I wanted to buy the shelving and lighted displays but they weren't selling those.

I'm pretty surprised too as I actually thought that since HQ is just down the road none of the stores in the area would close.

[quote name='Vyrtigo']Which store is this? I swear it sounds like the one in Glendora, CA.[/QUOTE]

This is in Westminster, CA

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL I always knew there were probably other CAGs up in that area of NY, though from the looks of the BB in Middletown when I first hit it while I was up there at an auto auction, I thought NO ONE else from CAG hit that store.

And so far, I haven't checked any of my local HV to see if they're closing up or not, but I guess I should get on it before someone else cleans them out, huh?[/QUOTE]

there are none in our area man. my wife called today clostest one to us is buffalo

[quote name='dorikyasu']Picked up official MS-brand 360 controller (wired) for $12. Obviously mispriced, but the clerk gave it to me at that price with no questions.
Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Did it ring up that way or was there a sticker on it? If it was one of the stores closing I can definitely see it going for that price. All the movies and virtually everything sellable (the store closing nearby is even selling their gumball machine) starts out at a certain price and is discounted at 20% of that, and then the discount gradually goes up until it sells. They're selling everything they can. I helped my manager unload some of the unsellable stuff that we got for our store from the nearby one that's closing (tons of toilet paper, EXIT signs, other misc. crap)

[quote name='JJSP']Doesn't appear that either Fullerton, CA location is closing. If I had to guess, the Tustin location probably will as that store is out in the middle of nowhere and never does well.[/QUOTE]

Damn! Thanks for the report though.

I got a lightly scratched, but working copy of MvsC2 PS2 at a HV in Woodstock, GA. This is the store on 92, near 575. Decent selection left, but at ~$16 (20% off of $20), a lot of the used ones aren't great deals.

Anyone know if any stores in the San Diego area are closing? I know the one on Second street in El Cajon is staying open, but I don't know about any of the other ones.

At my local Hollywood Video, everything is on sale, all games are 19.99-20%, so basically $15.99

picked up
Smooth Moves
Excite Truck
Motorstorm
Warhawk

for $68

Just a heads up

Mine is closing. No games for sale at all -- all were transferred. All used DVDs were 20% off marked price with no refunds/exchange policy. It may have been the worst going out of business sale I've ever seen!

With them packing up the new generation of games, this doesn't sound like as good of a deal as it should be. O well, I always knew hollywood video is useless, no wonder they're downsizing. They just better keep GC running because thats the best game store in my opinion.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Anyone know if any in the Dayton, OH area are closing?[/quote]
Well, found out the answer.

The one's I found out that are closing are:

Kettering- Far Hills
Beavercreek- ?(don't know where it's located)
Dayton-?(don't know which one, since there's one on Patterson & one on Harshman)

Either way, the first two have already closed. As for the one in dayton, don't know which one since they wouldn't mention. But either way, both Dayton stores have a Game Crazy store in them.

bread's done
Back