Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video 520 Store Liquidation - Starts Thursday 9/27/07

little_krampy

CAGiversary!
Credit goes to Whatdouknow at SD

They are not releasing a list of stores, but I googled my city and "hollywood video closing" and found one in my town that is closing. Maybe calling a store would get you more info on what is going on in your region. If anyone finds out what the markdown will be please post!!!

Movie Gallery Announces Consolidation of Store Operations
DOTHAN, Ala., Sept. 25 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Movie Gallery, Inc. (Nasdaq: MOVI) today announced that it plans to close approximately 520 underperforming and unprofitable Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores. As previously announced, the Company has been accelerating its efforts to conserve cash and reduce the Company's cost structure to address the financial and industry challenges it has been experiencing.

Joe Malugen, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Movie Gallery, said, "Closing these stores was a difficult, but necessary decision to help protect the future of this Company. These stores are being closed after evaluating a number of factors, including store profits and the terms of the leases at each location. This action will allow us to focus our resources on the approximate 4,000 stores that have a stronger operating performance and prospects for future growth.

We thank our many associates and partners who have remained loyal to us over the years," continued Malugen. "Where possible we will work with the customers at these locations to transfer their accounts to other nearby Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video locations. The talented associates and partners in the stores that will be closing have been notified. As always, we remain committed to treating all affected employees fairly and providing the necessary assistance to make this transition as smooth as possible"

Movie Gallery has retained an outside professional services firm, the Great American Group, to assist it in conducting sales of the inventory at the closing stores.

Just got back from the store on Beechmont Ave in Cincinnati, nothing to be had, unless you want some 2005-06 sports games.

Just got back from the GameCrazy that's closing in West Allis, WI...all games 40% off. Picked up a sealed PS2 Okami for $24 and a used Xbox Arx Fatalis for $4.80. They had just put out some 360 games if anyone in the area is interested (prices before discount):

MOH Airborne New $60 Used $50
CrackDown Used $34
Star Trek Encounters? Used $34

And a number of other 360 games, including a buttload of Spiderman 3....All looked to be in good shape and complete.

Rich

the hollywood video/gamecrazy I guess isn't closing in lindenhurst, ny which is good bc thats literally 2 minutes away from me and the only place besides BB that I buy games at.

I went to some in Indy over the weekend and the best 'deals' seem to be 30% off greatest hits titles that are $19.99. Not real exciting. At the same time, I do have a Hollywood Video right by my aparment that's currently safe, but has an absolute shitload of rare games, OOP DVDs and Criterions. If the analysts are correct and all the Hollywoods go, I'll be at mine the first day of the liquidation sale.

My store didn't have shit. Everything was overpriced even with the discount. Their broken up DVD box sets were a joke. $10 per disc of a set after discount. :lol:

The only decent deal I could find in the entire store was 50% off candy. Got a couple decent sized bags of Reece's Pieces for a buck each.

I got all these:

Pkimin 2
Street Fighter Anniversary collection Ps2
Playboy Mansion Xbox
Leisure Larry Xbox
Worms 3D GC
Yakuza
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

And they still have more games left like

The Shield Ps2
Friends New Ps2
Harvest Moon: Magic Medley New GC
Tokobot Plus Ps2
Call of Cthulhu®: Dark Corners of the Earth NEW Xbox
Megaman X collection GC
Worms 3D Ps2

If anyone wants these PM me asap as i still have some funds to make another trip.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...ness/news/e3iff0e5ee8955eaff060eaa348d55ae5c5

Yes, they filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and pretty much devalued there stock to oblivion. Not ony that, but according to the article I cited and others I have read, expect for the store closing to fucking double! fuck Movie Gallery for turning a once good stock and company (Hollywood Video) down the tubes. Expect many, many more stores closings is what I'm now hearing from my Hollywood Video. Things are getting extremely drastic in the chain to stay afloat. What I once believed to be a solid Hollywood Video that wouldn't shutdown, may now indeed be in its last dieing moments. According to my sources, the stores have been under ever more scrutiny, instituting new policies to try and stem the losses and stop the bleeding as fast as possible (might be too little or too much, depending on how you look at it since I've seen lots of customers leave the store saying they would never return, too late). They are going to stop the $1 return credit effective immediately and many stores are going on inventory liquidation. My store has just gone buckwhiled dropping a ton of movies to $5. Also, you'll notice a trend in many stores that are under the guise of operating normal as having "lost" shipments or simply not having shimpments come in on time with movies. My store didn't have Black Sheep and plenty of other relatively big new releases. They had Fantastic Four a week ago and Transformers, but hardly any copies or not nearly as many as they used to get. Also, you'll start to see massive employee layoffs or less hours for employees. According to my inside man, what 2 or 3 employees would do is now being dropped onto 1 or even just on the store manager to start doing what 5 of his employees once did.

[quote name='Burchamj']the movie gallery in Portland, Michigan has no signs of going out of business. I did pick up Little miss sunshine and snakes on a plane 5.00 each. Perfect condition.[/quote]

This is the first sign of whether or not a HV will be going. They start the $5 liquidation and it pretty much means that they are trying salvage as much money to get them through the year or even the very least the month. It really sucks that they started to clearance at this part of the year as they could still stand to make some money with the last quarter of the year coming up, which tends to be the bread and butter for most retail stores.

Ask them if you can look in their cabinets. they have a bunch of good games that are still in there that aren't in the floor because they don't have the cases for them.

[quote name='hopeunknown']anyone know of any stores in MA/RI closing?[/quote]

According to the slickdeal post Belchertown and South Hadley Movie Gallery stores are closing in MA.

Florence KY Movie Gallery has big signs up for 50% off all used movies.Only games they had were Xbox and PS2 and they were 3 $33.33 or something stupid. I dont think they are closing... :(

[quote name='$hady']Florence KY Movie Gallery has big signs up for 50% off all used movies.Only games they had were Xbox and PS2 and they were 3 $33.33 or something stupid. I dont think they are closing... :([/quote]

We're in Florence, ya'll.

[quote name='RandyTsai']I found a bunch of ps3, xbox 360, wii games for $6 after a 70% markdown @ city of industry & covina hollywood videos locations.[/quote]
Anything worth noting?

[quote name='JJSP']Anything worth noting?[/QUOTE]

4 heavenly swords ps3
nhl 2k8 ps3
nhl 2k8 xbox 360
tiger woods 07 xbox 360
tiger woods 08 xbox 360
surfs up wii
2 mario party 8 wii

I ended up flipping all of them at an gamecrazy with the 20% extra bonus coupon and got the orange box & a bunch of store credit.

so continue checking the stores that are closing because the final weekend before closing everything goes 70% off.

[quote name='RandyTsai']4 heavenly swords ps3
nhl 2k8 ps3
nhl 2k8 xbox 360
tiger woods 07 xbox 360
tiger woods 08 xbox 360
surfs up wii
2 mario party 8 wii

I ended up flipping all of them at an gamecrazy with the 20% extra bonus coupon and got the orange box & a bunch of store credit.[/QUOTE]

Wow, nice.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/business/news/e3iff0e5ee8955eaff060eaa348d55ae5c5

My store has just gone buckwhiled dropping a ton of movies to $5. Also, you'll notice a trend in many stores that are under the guise of operating normal as having "lost" shipments or simply not having shimpments come in on time with movies. My store didn't have Black Sheep and plenty of other relatively big new releases. They had Fantastic Four a week ago and Transformers, but hardly any copies or not nearly as many as they used to get. Also, you'll start to see massive employee layoffs or less hours for employees. According to my inside man, what 2 or 3 employees would do is now being dropped onto 1 or even just on the store manager to start doing what 5 of his employees once did.[/quote]

The store I go to is doing the same thing "all used DVDs for $5 each" under the disguise of a Halloween sale. They also didn't get Transformers in on time(which lost a rental, since I rented it at Blockbuster for a $1 cheaper & 2 days longer).

Did notice they canned one of the employees in Game Crazy, he was there for at least two years. Either he got fed up with it or they canned the employees that made more. Maybe now's a good time to get all the games resurfaced that I've been planning on doing soon.

I hit up two Hollywood Video locations in the Northern, VA area yesterday - They have marked all older catalog titles $9.99 w/ 60% making them $3.99 per title. I picked up the following titles:
1615593276_ddb2c2da79.jpg

Everything was in EXCELLENT shape (i guess these titles didn't rent) and Blockbuster was selling new DVD cases for $.05 ea. so i picked up enough to swap out the inserts..

[quote name='hopeunknown']anyone know of any stores in MA/RI closing?[/QUOTE]
Im amazed Fall River isnt closing

[quote name='tangytangerine']The store I go to is doing the same thing "all used DVDs for $5 each" under the disguise of a Halloween sale. They also didn't get Transformers in on time(which lost a rental, since I rented it at Blockbuster for a $1 cheaper & 2 days longer).

Did notice they canned one of the employees in Game Crazy, he was there for at least two years. Either he got fed up with it or they canned the employees that made more. Maybe now's a good time to get all the games resurfaced that I've been planning on doing soon.[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty much a guise there running. If you talk to the employees or know someone else higher in the chain of command (i.e. managers, DM, etc.), then they'll tell you that a lot of the stores are really hurting and trying to cut anything and everything they can while pushing more and more offers down your throat. If you know of any of the "cool" employees at a GC then I really would have them resurface anything you have.

[quote name='RustyOrgan']Everything was in EXCELLENT shape (i guess these titles didn't rent) and Blockbuster was selling new DVD cases for $.05 ea. so i picked up enough to swap out the inserts..[/quote]

So far everything Ive bought has also suprisingly been in excellent shape. In fact, Im pretty sure some stuff has never been touched before... My store is only a year old so I guess that has alot to do with it. The cool thing is the store is getting more dvds in every day! So the prices are going down (60% off yesterday) and the selection is going up! Im not sure where they are getting more stuff from, already closed hollywood videos maybe?

[quote name='tangytangerine']The store I go to is doing the same thing "all used DVDs for $5 each" under the disguise of a Halloween sale. They also didn't get Transformers in on time(which lost a rental, since I rented it at Blockbuster for a $1 cheaper & 2 days longer).

Did notice they canned one of the employees in Game Crazy, he was there for at least two years. Either he got fed up with it or they canned the employees that made more. Maybe now's a good time to get all the games resurfaced that I've been planning on doing soon.[/QUOTE]
Is that the Franklin/Middletown, OH store next to Kroger?

I hit up the Sports Arena store in San Diego (which BTW, isn't listed on the slickdeals list linked to earlier) and scored two PS2 games for 11.99 each. Silent Hill 3, which even came with the soundtrack disc. And Darkwatch which included the manual. I was pretty happy with both of those. They didn't have a whole lot else, though.

[quote name='radjago']Is that the Franklin/Middletown, OH store next to Kroger?[/quote]
No, not that one(that one is too out of the way). It's the one in Springboro, but yeah, there's a Kroger across the street from it.

Here's what I got:

Star Wars Ep. V 2 Disc Special Edition $6.00
Star Wars Ep. VI 2 Disc Special Editionn $6.00
Naruto: Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow $3.00 (Got this for my girlfriend)
Dream Girls $4.50 (Got this for a family member for Sweetest Day)
Sonic PS3 $8.00

Well, I went to my local store that was closing and picked up one game and a few movies. It was Sonic PS3 for the whopping price of $8.00. Too bad the main things that they had left PS3 and Xbox 360 were old sports games but I'm going to see in the morning if they have something outside of those. For example, NBA 2K7, NHL 2K7, and the like. The only newer sports game I saw left was All Pro Football 2K8 but I didn't ask how much they wanted for it.

[quote name='arthurRWD']At my local Hollywood Video, everything is on sale, all games are 19.99-20%, so basically $15.99

picked up
Smooth Moves
Excite Truck
Motorstorm
Warhawk

for $68

Just a heads up[/QUOTE]
Wish I would have seen this post before going last night that means that all of the next gen games at my store are 60% off of $19.99 which would make them 8 bucks like Sonic. Then that means that all of the PS2, GC, and Xbox games must be 60% off of $9.99 which makes them 4 bucks. I think I will be getting Zelda and the Four Swords I saw last night then if that's the case.

[quote name='xeorm']Are there any in the Los Angeles area that are closing?[/quote]

Inglewood location at Imperial Hwy and Crenshaw Bl. Games pretty much cleaned out. Some xbox & xbox 360 left (50% off). Good for dvds mostly (60% off).

I cant believe I missed out on the best of this.. I went to the Hollywood video in Pensacola, FL and it was already at 90% off, and mostly everything good was gone.

I did pick up Beerfest, Benchwarmers and Employee of the month since I've seen none of them and they were $1 each. Missed out on all the games though, absolutely none left... I did however seen some lady walk out with easily over 50 DVDs o_o

Well, I was wrong about the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube games being cheaper. Here is what I picked up today and they are each 8 bucks:

Conker: Live and Reloaded Xbox
Yakuza PS2
All Pro Football 2K8 Xbox 360
Ratatouille Xbox 360 (Trades in to Blockbuster for $22)
NBA 2K7 PS3
NHL 2K7 PS3

I'm sad because I was going to get Zelda and the Four Swords but the disc was so scratched up I left there.

The one up by me(Kingston, PA) still has tons of stuff left. Then again, it's also only 50% off still, so that may be why.

I found a copy of Bully(PS2) and Playboy: The Mansion(Xbox), as well as a copy of MGS: Twin Snakes(GC), but both Bully and P: TM looked like someone took a fuckin power sander to the bottom of each of them, so I passed on them(and the one clerk put them in their discard/damaged box. Bully was also missing the book, but Playboy was complete, just in piss poor shape.

As for Twin Snakes, it was dirty as hell, missing the book and had a couple kinda major nicks/scratches in the disc that worried me, so I ended up not taking any of them.

They had numerous DVDs(down to $5 each for older and still too high for box sets ($30) )left, but nothing I wanted really.

I ended up spotting a PS2 memory card, which was $10 with the 50% off, so I nabbed that, thought bout grabbing one of the spare power wires they had for the old model PS2s(third party) for $1.50, but decided against it.

this is the best sale ever, i picked up close to 70 games for about 100 dollars, i was in there everyday waiting for each drop, did get a good bunch of tv seasons also

Funniest part of the MG closing sale by me is, Blockbuster up the road had better prices on full seasons of shows by $10. They had numerous seasons of shows(including popular ones like Desperate Housewives Season 1) for $19.99 a pop, unlike MG which charged $5 per disc, with most seasons being 5-6 discs.

I missed out big-time. I called all the Movie Galleries and Game Crazies in my area and everyone of them acted surprised that i had called and assured me they were NOT closing. I drove into town yesterday and alas.....movie gallery closed down with flyers in the windows for discounts.

-joseph

That's what I expected to have happened here by now, POG, since their % off is up to only 50% off and I know when other companies have done store closing blowouts, the % off usually will reach 75% within a month sometimes.

Although, I shouldn't say that, since the Sam Goody out in the one mall out in Paramus, NJ about 2 years ago took about 4 months to close up I think. Sick part is, I think that space is STILL empty.

Sadly, as usual, any good games @ my local store closing down are in crap condition and those that aren't are ones I won't want. So, I guess I'm done with this sale, unless they offer up the shelves for super cheap.

My store hit 60% off games and 70% off most movies today, so I went in for Fight Night Round 2 for Gamecube (mostly for Super Punch-out).

No one was there at opening so I waited for a half hour and then went home and called another store about it. They finally got someone there 2 hours later. I asked the guy if I could have another 10% off for waiting a half hour, and he said sure, so I got it for $6. Not bad.

[quote name='mikej012']My store hit 60% off games and 70% off most movies today, so I went in for Fight Night Round 2 for Gamecube (mostly for Super Punch-out).

No one was there at opening so I waited for a half hour and then went home and called another store about it. They finally got someone there 2 hours later. I asked the guy if I could have another 10% off for waiting a half hour, and he said sure, so I got it for $6. Not bad.[/quote]
Nice, my store hit those price marks too, so Im going down there to pick up all the games/movies Ive been hiding around the store. :cool:.

Finally the store in Glendale Heights, IL hit 90% off.

I ended up grabbing 7 Gamecube games:

Bionicle Heroes
Dragonball Z Sagas
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Mega Man Network Transmission
SSX On Tour
Tales of Symphonia
Smuggler's Run 2: Warzones

My total came out to be $15.05.

None of the games had instructions or dvd sleeves.
So I ended printing out black and white ones, which should suffice.

DSC04119.jpg

DSC04119.jpg

The Voorhees and Cinnaminson, NJ stores have closed after just under a month of clearance. Last time I checked, Cinnaminson was selling 10 DVDs for $35 and 20 for $60.

I can say with great certainty that there will be another round of store closures of about 500 stores in November, if anyone else is curious.

Googled and noticed one closing near me. I'll have to check it out.

I'm hoping the one closest to me doesn't close. There's been way too many business closures around here lately.

I forgot to mention the location I got my games from so here is the info that I provided to another CAG via PM.

It would be located on Grand River near the Southfield Freeway on Detroit's Westside. The address is 18230 Grand River and phone # is 313-837-7888.

bread's done
Back