Movie Gallery / Hollywood Video / Game Zone 3.99 PS2,GC,XBOX Preplayed Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordVila

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
From now until further notice all preplayed PS2,XBOX and GC titles are 3.99. From the Movie Gallery store I work at I picked up 2 copies of Mercenaries 2 and Guitar Hero 3.

Also if your Movie Gallery has a Game Zone all preplayed Wii, 360 and PS3 games are 25% off. Most of the next gen games that are preplayed in the Game Zone sections come as trade-ins so you can generally find good copies its just that the selection wont be as good as a Gamestop.

Edit by Io - For those with Hollywood Videos around note that this sale applies only to stores that DO NOT have Gamecrazy's attached. Also, it is still highly YMMV at any given store. Some don't participate (manager's discretion) and some are just clueless and think you are talking about the concurrent $3.99 movie deal (which requires 2 rentals and only applies to movies $12.99 and under). I've gone to about 6 stores and have gotten about 4 different versions of the deal. There is a code they can scan that makes all these games come out to $3.99 no matter whether you rent or not and no matter what the original prices are - it is just YMMV whether they can A) Find that code and B) Choose to apply it to the games you want to buy ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only thing with buffing, is that you notice a whitish 'haze' on the disc, since that's the residual grit from the solution they use in the grinder/buffer to eliminate the scratches. I've noticed it on more than a few of the 'new' condition discs that I've bought for flipping.

Mind you, that doesn't matter to me, since I'm not keeping them in the first place. But if I were, I think those streaks from the solution look pretty ugly.[/QUOTE]

I've seen that on a few games, and I've also seen some brilliantly done games. So, I don't know what causes it. It's possible they're not wiping enough. I've also noticed some clerks do something in addition to the normal buffing. I see them take out the disc holder, do something, and then put it in for a second time cleaning.

[quote name='io']Well, I went back to my local store and there were still 2 copies of Lego Batman (after I left them there 4 days ago). I bought one along with KOTOR 2. I figured at this point they are more than fair game. If the other one is still there tomorrow I'm snagging that as well.[/QUOTE]

How many stores have you hit up in the "greater Metro" area? I've only been to the store I've told you about. Have you stopped by the store near NW 23rd and Burnside in the city? I haven't, but am thinking about it.

I think some may run it through with straight water or something with a cleaning pad to clean any residue off. The local shop(the one that offered the older guy $7 for FFVII)usually just wipes down the discs. But once the disc sits for a day or so, the streaks and haze come through.

And don't even get me started on the friggin' Disc Doctors. Those things make the discs look WORSE than being all scratched up. They leave a swirling pattern on the discs that make it look like someone tried using a power sander on them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
And don't even get me started on the friggin' Disc Doctors. Those things make the discs look WORSE than being all scratched up. They leave a swirling pattern on the discs that make it look like someone tried using a power sander on them.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Disc Doctors are the biggest scam ever, unless there is a way to properly use them. I bought a game from Hollywood Video that was disc doctored, which I found ironic since they could have used their multi-thousand dollar machine to fix the problem the shitty 20 dollar device caused.

My copy of Futurama for the Xbox I used to have that I got from FYE was a Disc Doctored copy with the telltale pattern on it. I just chuckled since FYE has rejected games/movies/cd's of mine before for a piece of fuckin' dust on the damn things and this thing looked atrocious by comparison.

[quote name='MasterSun1']How many stores have you hit up in the "greater Metro" area? I've only been to the store I've told you about. Have you stopped by the store near NW 23rd and Burnside in the city? I haven't, but am thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

Nope - I bascially haven't hit up any of the stores in Portland proper - so go for it ;).

11/12 GS TIVS
all TIVS are base TIV

XBOX
SW BF II- 10.50

GC
Mario Tennis- 8.50
Mario Golf0 4.25
Paper Mario- 6.50

PS2
Harvest Moon Wonderful Life- 3.00
Mx vs Atv- 6.75
Wall E - 6.75
Fatal Frame- 18.75 yay
Lego BM- 13
Merc 2-8
Cabela Big Game- 2.25 (now the only 2007 game worht passing on)

I went to my "home" GS location, where the managers love me and bend over backwards to keep my trade ins and purchasing business, and know I'm flipping, and don't care...to purchase a wii that I'd sold on Clist...and I walked in and they pulled out a WOW Lich King collectors set and told me that the preorder was cancelled and they had been holding it to surprise me in case I wanted it. I told them specifically I would be selling it, because I don't play WOW, and they said "yeah we know",lol...needless to say I grabbed it.

So for the last two days, I've added ShenmueII (DVD bonus edition), and RPG Maker 2 to my PC, and got a CE WOW Lich King to sell.

and if you wanna see some lowballs, try putting something on craigslist. I had listed a "sealed, brand new Wii and Wii fit with receipts" and got an offer of $150. And this person seriously thought I'd consider that offer...their email said something like "I'm looking for a wii and some accessories, I'll give you 150. Call me at xxx-xxxx so we can set up a time to meet."

[quote name='Capa']So for the last two days, I've added ShenmueII (DVD bonus edition)[/QUOTE]

I saw this today at my local store. I don't know if it has the bonus or what the condition is, but has the real cover art (which says it has a bonus DVD) for a change. Should I grab it? It's only $4.99 normally anyway ;).

What the hell, guess I'll get it tomorrow if it is in good condition. I know nothing about it except I've seen it mentioned here on CAG over the years.

To anyone complaining about disc doctors, they aren't designed to make the disc look all shiny and pretty, they're designed to repair a disc enough so that it works.

Actually, if you polish them afterward they don't look so bad anyway.

It's not worth anything, but I'm not going to worry about exchanging it, the store I would have to go to is out of the way and had nothing else really...I went to 1 MG in a small podunk town and they had absolutely nothing...and this store has been there forever. I bought 5 games, and 1 was a break even swap. Then today I hit a MG in a different small little podunk town, and I bought 22 games (although 4 were only break even), and I left a couple there that I knew were profitable because I wanted to save my money to hit another store (which I didn't even do)...dunno why one store in a dead end town had nothing and the other was stocked.

And I started searching all the little towns around me for MGs...there are over 20 within about an hour...I hope this sale goes on 2-3 more weeks so I have time to hit them all. My sister was told in Indiana that the sale is over on the 22nd though.

[quote name='Capa']

and if you wanna see some lowballs, try putting something on craigslist. I had listed a "sealed, brand new Wii and Wii fit with receipts" and got an offer of $150. And this person seriously thought I'd consider that offer...their email said something like "I'm looking for a wii and some accessories, I'll give you 150. Call me at xxx-xxxx so we can set up a time to meet."[/quote]

Agreed, some clown tried to convince me to take the same amount for a new PS3.

I hope BB starts getting some wiis and wii fits in, if they do, I can work one more transaction into the process and get the cost of my wiis down to where I can accept 200-225 for a new one. Right now it's hard to swallow dropping $275 in GS credit to sell a wii for 200, but if I can take $180 in GS credit and move it to BB and buy the wii there, then I can accept the 200 and 225 offers all day long

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only thing with buffing, is that you notice a whitish 'haze' on the disc, since that's the residual grit from the solution they use in the grinder/buffer to eliminate the scratches. I've noticed it on more than a few of the 'new' condition discs that I've bought for flipping.
[/quote]

If you don't like that idea then I know you are really going to hate knowing that you can get scratches completely out with a mini butane torch. Then of course there is also boiling. A grinding wheel with a buffing pad also works, just don't let it take the disc from you. :lol:

[quote name='io']I saw this today at my local store. I don't know if it has the bonus or what the condition is, but has the real cover art (which says it has a bonus DVD) for a change. Should I grab it? It's only $4.99 normally anyway ;).

What the hell, guess I'll get it tomorrow if it is in good condition. I know nothing about it except I've seen it mentioned here on CAG over the years.[/QUOTE]

I'm 95% sure it's not good flipping material, but the Shenmue series is fantastic IMHO. It's one of my favorite Sega games ever made.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I'm 95% sure it's not good flipping material, but the Shenmue series is fantastic IMHO. It's one of my favorite Sega games ever made.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm 100% sure it is not good flipping material (GS sells it used for $6.99 :lol:), I was just talking about to keep - I never had an Xbox so know next to nothing about exclusives for it.

[quote name='Capa']I hope BB starts getting some wiis and wii fits in, if they do, I can work one more transaction into the process and get the cost of my wiis down to where I can accept 200-225 for a new one. Right now it's hard to swallow dropping $275 in GS credit to sell a wii for 200, but if I can take $180 in GS credit and move it to BB and buy the wii there, then I can accept the 200 and 225 offers all day long[/QUOTE]

WHAT? ... i dont post often.. .but.. WHAT?

-bug_nuts

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think some may run it through with straight water or something with a cleaning pad to clean any residue off. The local shop(the one that offered the older guy $7 for FFVII)usually just wipes down the discs. But once the disc sits for a day or so, the streaks and haze come through.

And don't even get me started on the friggin' Disc Doctors. Those things make the discs look WORSE than being all scratched up. They leave a swirling pattern on the discs that make it look like someone tried using a power sander on them.[/quote]

I thought I had acquired a pristine copy of a used xbox game, but after closer inspection under a bright light, it had clearly been resurfaced (swirl pattern). Not as bad as a disc doctor, but still noticeable...

And yeah, if the center of the disc is not perfectly clear (and even slightly hazy or cloudy), I always avoid those copies for collection purposes since those have been resurfaced (even the ones where you can't detect the customary swirl pattern).

[quote name='io']Oh, I'm 100% sure it is not good flipping material (GS sells it used for $6.99 :lol:), I was just talking about to keep - I never had an Xbox so know next to nothing about exclusives for it.[/quote]

and u call yourself a gamer ppssshhhhh:lol:

[quote name='animemaniac14']and u call yourself a gamer ppssshhhhh:lol:[/QUOTE]

Meh, you couldn't have paid me to take an original Xbox - seemed pointless to me (all decent games were on PC as well). But now we're veering way off-topic ;).

All I know that Shenmue was some sort of Dreamcast thing, if that's what you are getting at though. Note that I didn't get back into consoles from my early Atari/Colecovision days until I got a Gamecube in 2003. So, yeah, the Dreamcast is an unknown quantity to me as well.

How many Colecovision games did you master, Mr Gamer? ;)

^^ sorry grandpa :lol:, some of us youngin's didn't get the "pleasure" of playin colecovision (tho i did play some model of atari, but which i couldn't tell ya)

but i digress...

back on subject..Did anyone figure out how long HWV holds TIVs for?

No, I'll do more digging today. I'm going to be travelling to hit another HWV later today, and I'm about to hit a local one in an hour. I'll check on Inf.Undiscovery, and Mario Kart as well.

[quote name='bug_nuts']WHAT? ... i dont post often.. .but.. WHAT?

-bug_nuts[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're not getting. Around here, BBs don't have Wiis or Wii Fits. The story I got is that some company came in and ordered 70+ wiis for their employees, and all the regions wiis got shipped to one store for that purchase. I havent seen a wii in a BB here for 2 mos at least. As it stands now, I'm cashing out my credit when it's at GS by buying a wii for 270, then I stick it on Clist. I've had to sell some for as low as 200 to move them recently. IF BB starts carrying wiis, then I dont have to spend 270 in GS credit to buy one, I can spend $180 in GS credit on games, flip them to BB for 270, and buy the wii there. Therefore, my GS cost on the wii drops to 180 (plus what I pay to get the games flipped, so really about 200), and selling a wii for 200 or 225 isn't as painful. I figured that my real out of pocket cost on wiis right now is around 80 bucks (cash spent on games at HWV+ gas)

[quote name='Capa']I'm not sure what you're not getting. Around here, BBs don't have Wiis or Wii Fits. The story I got is that some company came in and ordered 70+ wiis for their employees, and all the regions wiis got shipped to one store for that purchase. I havent seen a wii in a BB here for 2 mos at least. As it stands now, I'm cashing out my credit when it's at GS by buying a wii for 270, then I stick it on Clist. I've had to sell some for as low as 200 to move them recently. IF BB starts carrying wiis, then I dont have to spend 270 in GS credit to buy one, I can spend $180 in GS credit on games, flip them to BB for 270, and buy the wii there. Therefore, my GS cost on the wii drops to 180 (plus what I pay to get the games flipped, so really about 200), and selling a wii for 200 or 225 isn't as painful. I figured that my real out of pocket cost on wiis right now is around 80 bucks (cash spent on games at HWV+ gas)[/quote]

I've picked up 2 wiis within the past month from BB. Ya just have to ask if they have any because they don't keep them out in the open (since apparently BB has the highest theft rate of any store in the history of humanity).

[quote name='irishsoccermbw'](since apparently BB has the highest theft rate of any store in the history of humanity).[/quote]

They really do. I've come across at around 25 stolen games (empty cases) when I first started flipping. Most BBVs have gotten a little wiser about it lately.

[quote name='Capa']I'm not sure what you're not getting. Around here, BBs don't have Wiis or Wii Fits. The story I got is that some company came in and ordered 70+ wiis for their employees, and all the regions wiis got shipped to one store for that purchase. I havent seen a wii in a BB here for 2 mos at least. As it stands now, I'm cashing out my credit when it's at GS by buying a wii for 270, then I stick it on Clist. I've had to sell some for as low as 200 to move them recently. IF BB starts carrying wiis, then I dont have to spend 270 in GS credit to buy one, I can spend $180 in GS credit on games, flip them to BB for 270, and buy the wii there. Therefore, my GS cost on the wii drops to 180 (plus what I pay to get the games flipped, so really about 200), and selling a wii for 200 or 225 isn't as painful. I figured that my real out of pocket cost on wiis right now is around 80 bucks (cash spent on games at HWV+ gas)[/QUOTE]

you best buy takes trade ins?!

stop flipping wiis.... unless you seell a 200$ one to me!

+ original statement made little sense

[quote name='io']Oh, I'm 100% sure it is not good flipping material (GS sells it used for $6.99 :lol:), I was just talking about to keep - I never had an Xbox so know next to nothing about exclusives for it.[/quote]

Did it have the bonus DVD of Shenmue 1 with it? If so, that's a nice score. Most used copies lack it.

[quote name='animemaniac14']well whomever said that :360:Infinite Undiscovery gets $25 TIV @ HWV...im sad to report it's now $15 :whistle2:([/quote]

HWV or BBV?

[quote name='bug_nuts']you best buy takes trade ins?!

stop flipping wiis.... unless you seell a 200$ one to me!

+ original statement made little sense

[quote name='Capa']no, in flipping discussions, bb means blockbuster

and of course I fucking know to ask BB if they have any wiis..i'm not fucking retarded. They havent had any around here for the llast 2 mos.[/quote]

Calm down asshole I was being polite. Seriously u are the new kunai with a worse attitude.

My sister was told the 22nd in a small store in Indiana, but the managers I've talked to here say they have no idea.

Either way I should have enough time to check stores next week for newer stock. I got to look at their binder and the week of the 24th, they have the exact same sale going on (which I wonder if it'll be on the flier and website). They just won't have as many games I'm sure. The longer this sale goes on, the more people are going to find out about it.

[quote name='sadunk']Either way I should have enough time to check stores next week for newer stock. I got to look at their binder and the week of the 24th, they have the exact same sale going on (which I wonder if it'll be on the flier and website). They just won't have as many games I'm sure. The longer this sale goes on, the more people are going to find out about it.[/quote]
how often do they restock?

They get a list every Sunday of games and movies to convert from rentals to sales. The stores can do it anytime up to Wed. Just ask your local store what day they process their conversion sheet.

Checked the last of the HV in my area and no new rental conversions. I finally went out to a HV that a friend had told me about and it was pretty much untouched. I picked up Lego Indiana Jones (first one I've seen), 2 LBM, 3 GTA:SA Xbox, SWJK:JA Xbox, Disgaea 2, Ratchet & Clank:SM and others.

It seems to me that very few of the HVs in my area did any rental conversions this week. Maybe I just was beaten to the punch but I doubt it was another flipper since I still found other lower TIV games (tons of GTA:SA Xbox & PS2).

Well, EMG, I know there was a manager at my store who immediately snatched up the rental conversions to sell on Ebay. But that's no problem, I'd easily do the stuff that gives me 2X all day long

So X360 Morrowind is 23.99 at HWV... The GOTY version was stickered same price in the store I was just in. Not sure if they just view all skus as the same game, or it was mistagged. Either way, 23.99 -25% is a great deal on this version. The manager flirtied with me last time a little, this time she told me that if I come in Sunday when she opens, she will give me the conversion list and pick what I want and she'll go get it for me right then.(this store waits until Wed to do it normally)....then to top it all off, she rang Morrowind GOTY up with the 3.99 coupon, so I got it for 4 bucks!

[quote name='Capa']So X360 Morrowind is 23.99 at HWV... The GOTY version was stickered same price in the store I was just in. Not sure if they just view all skus as the same game, or it was mistagged. Either way, 23.99 -25% is a great deal on this version. The manager flirtied with me last time a little, this time she told me that if I come in Sunday when she opens, she will give me the conversion list and pick what I want and she'll go get it for me right then.(this store waits until Wed to do it normally)....then to top it all off, she rang Morrowind GOTY up with the 3.99 coupon, so I got it for 4 bucks![/quote]

I'm assuming you mean OBLIVION, right? I ask because Morrowind was on the original Xbox and should be a part of this deal WITHOUT having to sweet talk a manager into giving it to you.

Either way, I ran into clerks who wouldn't even attempt to try the $3.99 sale barcode on the current gen stuff and I had a manager type or two get snippy with me for me even suggesting it. :roll:

Even funnier was that the one lady manager wanted me to rat out who told me it would work, thinking that I had some employee do that for me before. Even if I did have some employee do that for me, I'm not going to get them in trouble. But unfortunately, it's a no go for me on the $3.99 current games.

lol yeah oblivion. i just pulled the discs, they are perfect. book and map are perfect too.

i dunno if she did ir on purpose to hook me up, or made an honest mistake. either way,i'll be slipping a couple more nextgen games in my stack to see what she does on sunday

Here is what I traded in today, all base values:

GTA:SA:xbox:(x4) - $11.75
Lego Batman:ps2:(x3) - $11.00
LOZ: Wind Waker:gc: - $6.50
Lego Star Wars II:gc: - $7.25
Mario Kart: Double Dash:gc: - $10.50
LOZ: Oot:gc: - $9.75
God of War II:ps2: - $7.75
Xenosaga: Ep 1:ps2: - $0.50
Bionicle Heroes:360: - $0.75
Jumper:360: - $2.00
Madden 09:360: - $26.00

Total after bonuses: 211.40
-8.00 for 2 refurb charges
-14.99 for Edge subscription
=$188.41

That's not too bad for having only spent around $75.

[quote name='manthing']Did it have the bonus DVD of Shenmue 1 with it? If so, that's a nice score. Most used copies lack it.[/QUOTE]

It is still locked up but it seems by the weight and rattle that it might have 2 discs. I'll be checking it out later today.

[quote name='sadunk']Either way I should have enough time to check stores next week for newer stock. I got to look at their binder and the week of the 24th, they have the exact same sale going on (which I wonder if it'll be on the flier and website). They just won't have as many games I'm sure. The longer this sale goes on, the more people are going to find out about it.[/QUOTE]

Ah - but the longer it goes on the more rentals will be converted. At this point there isn't much to find that's been sitting out since day 1 (though I still manage to find decent things at my local store even on my 5th or 6th visits) - but the new stuff could be very good.

[quote name='newlu']NEW DROPS:

LEGO Batman - $11.00
Damn this deal is dying slowly..[/QUOTE]

Not really - So, yeah, it is $2 less than before but still a helluva flip. I never found SW:FU and only 1 Madden 09 so I'm not used to the huge huge profits some of you have been getting. $4 -> $15.40 (new LBM trade-in after the bonus + Edge) is still pretty damn nice. When I go back to get Shenmue II I'm going to get the other LBM if it has not been claimed (it's been out there 5 days now with no takers ;)).

[quote name='Capa']lol yeah oblivion. i just pulled the discs, they are perfect. book and map are perfect too.

i dunno if she did ir on purpose to hook me up, or made an honest mistake. either way,i'll be slipping a couple more nextgen games in my stack to see what she does on sunday[/QUOTE]

I've tried slipping a few next-gen things into a couple of my purchases just to see what would happen. I even tried to be subtle by not using $40+ games. I tried Crash Bandicoot once and Sonic another time. Both times they instantly pulled them out and said they weren't eligible. I just acted dumb like I didn't even realize they were 360 games and said I'd pass in that case...

But, anyway, Oblivion GotY for $3.99 (or even $23.99 - 20%) is a great score. I thought I made out like a bandit when I got a Gamecrazy store to honor the $29.99 misprinted ad they had for it a few months ago (though that one is new). Same pool of credit though - would gladly take a mint used one for $3.99 or $19.19. The thing is, I KNOW they won't have it here because no rental stores around me had the GotY available for rent - I thought they didn't rent it anywhere since you can just load the extras on your HD, return the rental, and then continue to use a regular version (thus, free or severely reduced cost DLC ;)).

I went to two gamestops trying to trade stuff in and the guy at the counter wouldn't take my trade in because I had 2 copies of Lego Batman. guy started questioning me on where i got the game and if i had stolen them. I was like look if you dont want to take my trade in thats okay but dont try to accuse me of stealing stuff. I ended up asking anoher guy who worked there to ring up my stuff. Sucks that lego batman went down to 11.00.

[quote name='io']Not really - So, yeah, it is $2 less than before but still a helluva flip. I never found SW:FU and only 1 Madden 09 so I'm not used to the huge huge profits some of you have been getting. $4 -> $15.40 (new LBM trade-in after the bonus + Edge) is still pretty damn nice.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. It isn't like the Mercenaries 2 drop, and even Mercenaries 2 is still not that bad (though it sucks for those that just missed the cutoff). When this started, I went to Movie Gallery (I had never been there before), and based on what they had, I was happy to find things like Conker. Then I went to a Hollywood across town, and was thrilled to find Kung Fu Panda. I've never found Madden, but I did finally find a Hollywood that had (past tense) a decent selection (Mercenaries 2, 1 ST:TFU (which too many years on the internet forces me to read as Star Wars: STFU!), and MvC2 (PS2)). I even passed on a few things at that store - Dot Hack 4 Quarantine, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis (both were gone on my second trip). At this point, I'd still be happy with Lego Batman (I did find a couple at a different MG, with an even more pathetic selection than the first one (There was nothing there, but I asked about conversions, and they had 3 Lego Batman, so I asked for 2 of them)), but pretty much anything with a base below $9, I'll ignore (so, I'd pick up Mercenaries 1, but not 2).

Looks like the thread over at SD hasn't been growing like this one. Not that many people taking advantage of this. That's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back