No Final Fantasy For You, Xbox!

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Looking for more Final Fantasy following the Xbox 360 port of Final Fantasy XI? Then you're going to have to look to a different next generation system. A Square Enix executive has disclosed to Japan's Nikkei BP that the company currently has no plans for Final Fantasy games on the 360.

Noting that the PS3 is getting Final Fantasy XIII, the website asked Square Enix's Shinji Hashimoto if the Wii or Xbox 360 will also be getting games in the series. "For the Wii, we have FF Crystal Chronicles in production," replied Hashimoto. "As for FF on the Xbox 360, it's currently a completely blank page."

Strong words from Hashimoto, although perhaps if everyone goes out and buys Last Remnant (that includes you!), Square Enix will have a change of heart.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/794/794164p1.html
http://kotaku.com/gaming/this-page-intentionally-left-blank/no-final-fantasy-for-you-xbox-266191.php

Looks like FFXIII is remaining PS3 exclusive afterall.

at least one exclusive stays exclusive.

Figures TMK would post this.. lol ;)

I wonder what the combat is going to be like in this game.

I hope its all actiony and you get to run around and shoot things/hit things with a sword.

This is what matters anyways:

the-last-remnant-20070510013322265.jpg

Square's stab at the dynasty warriors franchise? yeesh.

I have a feeling Square Enix will change their minds once they see DMC4, GTA4, and VF5 outselling their PS3 counterparts 2 to 1 (which will probably hold true considering 360 has more than twice the installed base).

[quote name='Apossum']Square's stab at the dynasty warriors franchise? yeesh.[/QUOTE]
It's coming out for PS3 too, so it's okay for you to like it. ;)

[quote name='zewone']This is what matters anyways:[/QUOTE]

You may very well be right. Considering that "Ten years of FFXIII" plan, I wouldn't be surprised to see this decision revisited depending how "Last Remnant" sells. I could give two poops about anything from Square after Vagrant Story, but if I were a FF fan, I'd be more interested in what's going on at Mistwalker anyway.

Darn, no vastly overrated RPG's for the 360!? Damn! I guess 360 gamers will have to go somewhere else for their boring battles, typecast characters, and androgenous leading "men".

[quote name='Puffa469']The PS3 needed this.[/quote]

They need more than this. Price drop anyone?

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one if they would drop the price.

[quote name='zewone']It's coming out for PS3 too, so it's okay for you to like it. ;)[/QUOTE]

I own an xbox 360 ;)

and i hate anything that looks like it's going to be a DW clone ;)

Well, now I got one more reason to want a PS3, bringing the grand total to two and a half. Of course, nothing final, and I'm sure (theoretically speaking here) that once the two FF13 games drive SE to near levels of near bankruptcy (sustained only by the sales of the DS & Wii FF titles), Square will drop Final Fantasy XIII: Super Special Awesome Edition for 360 in a heartbeat. Of course, I could be wrong :razz:

Well.. Square isn't known for making sound business decisions. Here's a good example of it. Final Fantasy: Spirits Within is another one, but we won't go there.

If they were to put Chrono Trigger on XBLA.. it would probably sell more units in a week than the entire US PS3 userbase. Scary that word-of-mouth buzz since its release a decade ago (I think it's been about that long) has been more effective than any other marketing strategy the company has ever attempted.

Maybe it's because I just happen to be playing them both at the same time right now, but that Last Remnant screenshot reminds me of a cross between Rogue Galaxy (action combat, radar, etc) and Yggdra Union (unions, morale).

[quote name='trq'] I could give two poops about anything from Square after Vagrant Story[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Vagrant Story was the last Square game that I bought.

I didn't really care about the main Final Fantasy XIII game, but I wanted the Versus spinoff from the Kingdom Hearts team to come to the 360.

[quote name='Apossum']I own an xbox 360 ;)

and i hate anything that looks like it's going to be a DW clone ;)[/QUOTE]
pick up th GI with the feature on the game, you might be happily suprised.

I don't own either system so I could care less, but I will chime in with, if this holds true what an utterly stupid business decision. :D

How is this different from Bethesda claiming Oblivion will remain exclusive, or Capcom and DMC4, or Konami and MGS4.

I'll believe it when I see it. Doesn't matter too much to me, though.

The Last Remnant looks very hack-and-slash-esque. It didn't draw my attention the first time I saw screenshots of it like Blue Dragon did, But in a way, I am interested to see what Square Enix will bring to the 360.

This is hardly a confirmation. Square will follow the money. Just like they followed a high user base and cheap development to the PS1, they'll walk away from PS3 exclusivity when real businessmen assess the situation.

[quote name='alongx']This is hardly a confirmation. Square will follow the money. Just like they followed a high user base and cheap development to the PS1, they'll walk away from PS3 exclusivity when real businessmen assess the situation.[/QUOTE]

That's an absurd argument, because it makes the assumption that SE made this decision on a whim. If you look at Japan, where Final Fantasy sells a fuckton of titles, there is NO incentive to release the game on the 360. Your "real businessmen" will tell you as much.

Now, did S-E create a self-fulfilling prophecy by porting a low-interest (and two-year old) title to the 360, only to find it didn't sell? Perhaps, but that's another debate entirely.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's an absurd argument, because it makes the assumption that SE made this decision on a whim. If you look at Japan, where Final Fantasy sells a fuckton of titles, there is NO incentive to release the game on the 360. Your "real businessmen" will tell you as much.[/QUOTE]

I would think that FF would sell enough anywhere in the world to warrant porting it to the 360. Sure the 360 isn't doing great in Japan, but it has a large fanbase everywhere else, and I am pretty sure FF would sell pretty well in those countries too.

square has always had official FF games on one console. this statement, straight from the horse's mouth, doesn't make it sound like they are wavering on that.

as for Sony's situation and lost exclusives, it's not legit to compare Square and Capcom. Capcom ports their games all over the place and always has...their main engine for this gen was built with porting from a PC build in mind. DMC4 was not a difficult transition and doesn't hold nearly as much weight as people seem to think.

Square's white engine for FFXIII was built for the PS3. The game has been in production for a while. It's not like they can just flip a switch like Capcom did. Knowing that, here's some speculation-- they would have to build a 360 version basically from the ground up. it would be like developing two games, with extra R+D costs for the 360 version. tis wouldn't necessarily equate to an instant cash in on a port. so there may not be any money to follow in the first place.

it seems that the best case scenario is a delayed 360 version coming out a year or two after the PS3 version.

I had falled out of love with Final Fantasy until I played FFXII. Every system needs exclusive titles, not just to push sales, but so show off what that paticular system can do. But we all know that Sony needs something exclusive so hopefully they'll appreciate Square Enix appropriately.

[quote name='Skylander7']Well.. Square isn't known for making sound business decisions. Here's a good example of it. Final Fantasy: Spirits Within is another one, but we won't go there.
[/QUOTE]

And who do you think was helming the project? Hironobu Sakaguchi, and guess where he's at now? Yep, Mistwalker. I hate the guy, in his interviews he has to bash PS3 and wants to run Square into the ground even after he screws them over with his craptastic movie.

FFXIII staying exclusive will definitely help sell more PS3, especially in Japan.

[quote name='gokou36']And who do you think was helming the project? Hironobu Sakaguchi, and guess where he's at now? Yep, Mistwalker. I hate the guy, in his interviews he has to bash PS3 and wants to run Square into the ground even after he screws them over with his craptastic movie.
[/quote]

I think I'm in the minority here but I enjoyed FF: The Spirits Within and I own it. On the other hand, I thought Advent Children was crap and pure fan fodder.

gokou has to be the nuttiest nutball that ever cracked his tinker.

or he just likes Sony too much for his own good.

When a game becomes a 360 exclusive, Xbots Say:

"OMG! I have been waiting for this day! This was my ONLY reason to get any other console! NOW I HAVE THE GAME I WANTED FOREVER!"

When a game remains a PS3 exclusive, Xbots reply:

"What? Ooo, Final Gaytasy is a PS3 exclusive? So what, if I wanted to play a stupid boring game id play Genji. Psht, what ever!"

Its the circle of fanboyism.

To those with only 360's who wanted FFXIII to play it: It might come out...you never know.

To those who want to spout "OMG DAT DA LAST NALE IN DA PS3 COFIN": Awww too bad. Guess you need to go commit suicide over it. Evil Sony has it exclusive. They insulted and then killed your family.

[quote name='porieux']turn based combat is tedious anyway, imo.[/QUOTE]
They didn't actually announce it would be turn based....did they?

[quote name='whoknows']They didn't actually announce it would be turn based....did they?[/quote]

I thought it was already stated it was going to be like the battles in FFXII.

[quote name='jer7583']gokou has to be the nuttiest nutball that ever cracked his tinker.

or he just likes Sony too much for his own good.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny coming from an xbot. Sure I like the PS3 more even though I have all three systems. I don't go around like you bashing a console in every thread. Fanboys are so 90s, seriously you should stop being one and maybe one day you will grow up.

This stinks for me cause I'm not gonna spend more then $250 on a PS3 which will be in like, uh six years?

Heres hoping MGS comes to the 360. But thats already in another thread ;)

[quote name='porieux']turn based combat is tedious anyway, imo.[/QUOTE]Turn-based combat is the best. I wished almost every video game had turn-based combat. It would be awesome if Halo, Gears of War, Super Smash Bros., etc. had turn-based battles. I might actually like them more. ;)
[quote name='Thongsy']I thought it was already stated it was going to be like the battles in FFXII.[/QUOTE]No, it's going back to ATB, from what I hear. I hope so because I thought FFXII's battle system kind of sucked (big fan of ATB).
[quote name='Monsta Mack']This stinks for me cause I'm not gonna spend more then $250 on a PS3 which will be in like, uh six years?

Heres hoping MGS comes to the 360. But thats already in another thread ;)[/QUOTE]MGS & FF = PlayStation. Don't buy a PlayStation, you will never get those games.

Last Remnent(sp) & Multi-platform & DW Clone = Average game at best.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
MGS & FF = PlayStation. Don't buy a PlayStation, you will never get those games.

Last Remnent(sp) & Multi-platform & DW Clone = Average game at best.[/QUOTE]

Going to quote this for history's sake.

[quote name='Roufuss']Going to quote this for history's sake.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, you're going to show TMK that he's wrong and a foolishly underpaid hack for Sony. I'm gonna make you a trophy!

:roll:

C'mon, now, Roufuss. Proving The Mana Knight wrong ain't nothin' to brag about. Dude pulls the console party line like he's Bill O'Reilly.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh boy, you're going to show TMK that he's wrong and a foolishly underpaid hack for Sony. I'm gonna make you a trophy!

:roll:

C'mon, now, Roufuss. Proving The Mana Knight wrong ain't nothin' to brag about. Dude pulls the console party line like he's Bill O'Reilly.[/QUOTE]

I'm just bored today waiting for my HDMI cables :(

bread's done
Back