Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='slowdive21']About 90% of the time, I would get VHS tapes as the answer when I say "video games", so I feel your pain.

I say "Do you have any old game systems like nintendo or atari?"

I usually follow with "I prefer the old ones, since they are simpler to play".

That line has gotten me several old game systems either pulled out from storage or at a significantly lower price. My turbografix16 comes to mind.
It is a great ice breaker.

I usually say "game systems", because they usually will want significantly more for the console than the games. Once I see what is for sale, I determine if it is worth picking up everything and make an offer. If they decline or want a lot for the console itself, then I say "I already have the system, would it be OK for me to buy some of the games?"

I have another approach as well. If they have newer systems like xbox, GC, PS2 I ask do you have any older systems? Usually they will say something like "Yeah but I am keeping it." or "Those older ones are worth money!"

I then counter with either the line above or I say "I usually am interested in the ones that gamestop does not take anymore like nintendo, dreamcast, etc." Usually if you have a person who has their stuff way overpriced and you bring up that the local chain does not carry them anymore, they will be a lot more willing to negotiate. ;)[/QUOTE]

I tried asking for games at every sale, but it didn't work. None were brought out at any sale which was interesting (and I did this at every sale for an entire summer). Sometimes people will ask you what you are looking for, then I respond with video games. Also people do ask for things all the time at yard sales, so I don't think its unusual at all.

If you are looking for clothes if you tell the person at the sale the size you need they can often point you in the right direction since I find piles of clothes all the time this really helps.

[quote name='schuerm26']It won't sell for that. I finally put mine up on ebay because it was just sitting. I literally had it in the 30's or 40's on Amazon and it wouldn't sell. Pie in the sky prices for most of them on Amazon. I put it at 29.99 and the 23 or whatever it sold for was a best offer. If you look at my other auctions I have used ones up for sale in bundles. The Space Shuttle bundle should go for a decent amount. We shall see. I bundled it with a used Notre Dame cathedral puzz 3d.

I forgot about this one I found last week. We shall see how it goes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330451369206&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Pirates of the Carribean Puzz3d

Here are the used lots I have

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330452306190&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330452305912&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

also Puzz3D on CD!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330452306421&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

apparently the Orient Express one is rare or something[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the info

The problem with video games is the price has not stabilized yet, especially with re-releases on PSN and M$N. I used to buy sealed FFVII on ebay and sell them for 3x as much on amazon. If you set up good searches and make it a daily routine, you can get some really good deals.

[quote name='Shazyzang']Okay. I always just ask something like "do you have any video games?" because I'm looking for anything. Sometimes they ask me what kind, and I reply anything, but that makes it seem like they have something good but they're holding out on me. Do you think specifying older games is more effective?[/QUOTE]

I tend to rattle off what eras I'm most interested in, such as SNES, Playstation, etc. Usually this will help jog memories of what they do and don't have, while at the same time will help give the appearance that you aren't hawking for every last game they have.

Now is actually a good time to be looking for gamecube and ps2 games; since the trade-in value is fairly low for many of these at gamestop you can often get lots for a song and a dance. With a keen eye you can spot the better games that are worth selling and trade-in the rest yourself during a promo...not everyone is aware of trade-in promotions, so it's sometimes possible to get a game or system at the "old" TIV or less.

There's a lot of tricks. However, I wouldn't express too much interest in older games or systems in general, for one thing they're not as liquid and two the seller might get strange ideas on the value if your interest goes beyond the casual. Having a poker face is a must, as is remembering that you may be shown something that you don't desperately want or need.

Ok, since I took the last 2 weeks off, I have the few things I bought at auction on Saturday:

Everything I bought was $5 for all the items in each picture.

4 marvel treasury (oversized) editions.

Boba Fett complete (he was marked $150. I know he is not a firing missile variant, so I think he was mismarked, but I will have to check my guide), Perseus clash of the titans with shield, Last Action Hero Dynamite Jack, Original dengar complete, breakable C3PO with bag, cobra commander armor, Thrasher, wrestling figure,
AND
an Original unused MIP Star Wars belt!

And the find of the day(week)

Amazing Spiderman 14 (1st Green Goblin)

I know it is beat to sh!t, but I am happy to have it.

Only went out one day this week. Didn't get that much stuff, but most of it was quality. :lol:

NES Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
NES ABC & 123, $5 for both

DVD The Simpsons: The Complete Ninth Season
DVD The Kids in the Hall, $8 for both

GEN Atomic Robo Kid (missing manual)
SEGA CD Heart of the Alien (complete), $6 for both

PSX Suikoden (missing manual)
PSX Final Fantasy VIII (missing front insert and manual)
PSX Breath of Fire III (missing manual), $6 for all

DC Dino Crisis (complete), $3

XB Star Wars Battlefront II (complete)
XB Star Wars Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II (complete)
XB Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (complete)
DVD The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! (missing outer sleeve, I think), $12 for all

XB Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (complete)
XB360 power cable, $2 for both

Will I never find a complete copy of Breath of Fire III? This is my second copy; the first one was disc only. Oh well. Also, I'd been casually looking for Atomic Robo Kid for some time, so that was a fun little score.

Picked up this lot, plus an NES, plus a wavebird/receiver for $35. Started cleaning them, and used a paper towel and 2 q-tips just for Mario. I don't know how it got that dirty, and it's always such a pain to clean nintendo carts.

dsc01076resized.jpg

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']However, I wouldn't express too much interest in older games or systems in general . . . the seller might get strange ideas on the value if your interest goes beyond the casual. Having a poker face is a must, [/QUOTE]

This is why I usually say . . . "do you have any old videogames?"

I'm hoping (as some have experienced in the thread) that they will pull out something they overlooked . . . probably because they didn't think it was worth selling. Sounds crazy but tons of great games end up at Goodwill.

If they ask "like what" . . . then I throw out like "Nintendo or Playstation . . . old stuff." Most people I encounter have an overinflated sense of the worth of videogames anyway. I see badly beat up PS2s (even missing hookups) with 10 sports titles and broken controllers marked $120.

A poker face and downplaying value are important.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='schuerm26']It won't sell for that. I finally put mine up on ebay because it was just sitting. I literally had it in the 30's or 40's on Amazon and it wouldn't sell. Pie in the sky prices for most of them on Amazon. [/QUOTE]

IMHO, Amazon is the best place to sell books. Period.

Amazon is also a great venue for other media--CDs, DVDs, games. But Amazon is not all that hot for other items.

I think you played the puzzle well. I don't like Ebay, so (if I had one) I would probably just let it sit at $30-40 on Amazon and hope someone snags it near the holiday.

I really don't know what their game is when a seller lists something at $100 like that . . . but they might be a dropshipper. Some outfits have no inventory but use automated systems to create tons of listings and then when they snag a sale, they order on the cheap elsewhere. Yes, the odds are low for each item but with 1,000s of listings and no overhead--they make out like bandits.

They might also be a brick and mortar operation and have it on a shelf at a normal price and just dabble on Amazon. They might actually sell it for big bucks when people get nuts in early Dec.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']
Now is actually a good time to be looking for gamecube and ps2 games
[/QUOTE]

In terms of availability, add in Xbox games . . . unfortunately few are flip-worthy . . . which is why you see KOTOR pictured here so often.

There is a definite cycle of console lifetime.

Hot when new . . . plateau . . . drop in value . . . old news . . . dirt cheap . . . possible revival in interest and value.

Now that the current generation is solidified we see many PS2, GC, and Xbox systems at rummage sales.

8-10 years ago I would see NESs at Goodwill on a weekly basis . . . now they are getting scarce (or at least less prevalent). Back then no one wanted them . . . now there are many people hunting them.

[quote name='schultzed']

8-10 years ago I would NESs at Goodwill on a weekly basis . . . now they are getting scarce (or at least less prevalent). Back then no one wanted them . . . now there are many people hunting them.[/QUOTE]

Oh you got that right , If there is a sale advertising an nes or snes they get snatched up lighting quick over here..

[quote name='schultzed']This is why I usually say . . . "do you have any old videogames?"

I'm hoping (as some have experienced in the thread) that they will pull out something they overlooked . . . probably because they didn't think it was worth selling. Sounds crazy but tons of great games end up at Goodwill.

If they ask "like what" . . . then I throw out like "Nintendo or Playstation . . . old stuff." Most people I encounter have an overinflated sense of the worth of videogames anyway. I see badly beat up PS2s (even missing hookups) with 10 sports titles and broken controllers marked $120.

A poker face and downplaying value are important.[/QUOTE]
Thanks guys, I'll do these things this week. For me, only once have people brought out games when I asked (9 NES games, I got them for $3). I didn't want to specify Nintendo or Sega, for example, because they could havea Neo-Geo or something.

[quote name='slowdive21']Saw these at the auction, but I forgot about them. Could have had them for $5

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-NES-Su...Item&pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item255b97cd23

[/QUOTE]

Dang . . . this auction went high . . .

For contrast, look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acclaim-Double-...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2eae28cfa0

I have a set of these (they look mint in a so-so box). If I knew I could get $30, I'd sell them immediately.

I bought them at Goodwill for $10 (about 8 years ago). I once listed them one ebay (starting at $10) and had no bidders.

[quote name='slowdive21']^^Exactly my point about game prices being unstable![/QUOTE]

And especially ebay being unstable. This is why I go with fixed listings on Amazon and just wait.

Today I sold this game (complete) for $19.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012M3656

If I did an auction on ebay, it could go for $10-$20 (but looks like $15 is the going rate).

I just listed my copy 1 week ago but I would have been OK if it took a year to sell.

[quote name='allyourblood']this thread is sorta veering off-topic quite a bit. [/QUOTE]

Its just the mid-week boredom waiting for sales . . . I can back off.

Anyway . . . not a rummage sale but close. I was in Mega Media Exchange (in Milwaukee) and the customer in front of me was getting an offer but a stack of games were rejected. I knew I had to act quick . . . so I nudged her and said "wait for me outside."

I got these for $10. I offered $4 for COD4 and then $3 for AC . . . seeing that this was working, I said would you take $2 for DMC2 and $1 for NFS Carbon. All have pretty good discs and are complete (accept Carbon has no manual). I only left behind a few games Sonic and Haze.

I'll probably flip my sealed 360 copy of AC and play this PS3 one.

[quote name='allyourblood']Why were those rejected? Were they too common? (nice snag, though!)[/QUOTE]

I'm not certain but I think he said "we have too many of these."

I didn't see everything that the store bought but I did see Bioshock 2 and I think the girl got $31 or $32. It looked like they bought 5-7 games. I don't know why they don't offer .50 a piece on the rejects . . . I think she would have taken it. This place is more selective then GS.

Hell, in retrospect, if I asked nicely I think she would given me the last couple for free.

[quote name='Shazyzang']
I will also take this opportunity to ask: What is the best thing you guys have ever found at a yard sale, game-related or not?[/QUOTE]

Here is the best thing I got.

Burton Backhill Snowboard.

I paid $5. I think they typically sell between $500-$3000 depending on the condition and production year.

[quote name='slowdive21']Here is the best thing I got.

Burton Backhill Snowboard.

I paid $5. I think they typically sell between $500-$3000 depending on the condition and production year.[/QUOTE] wow , nice find. Was that from this weekend that passed?

Had a little score today on my lunchtime walk. Found a garage sale a little farther out than I wanted to walk, lots of old computer parts & such (didn't look promising) until I saw something at the bottom of a plastic tub:

Fable 2 BradyGames LE strategy guide (with guide, artbook, & wraparound cover)
Assassin's Creed Prima strategy guide (map was ripped out, found it in the tub)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Prima strategy guide

Total price: $1

The Fable 2 guide is incredible, both the guide & the book are in near-mint condition( the art book is fantastic). The wraparound cover (the thing that holds them together) is in decent shape (a couple tiny dents/creases & a little wear on the flap).

Checked eBay, a used one sold for $30! I'm not selling it, my son & I are working through the game together - he's gonna crap his pants when I get home!

[quote name='TiKi2']wow , nice find. Was that from this weekend that passed?[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

No, this was an old find (2 or 3 years ago). I was just responding to Shazyzang's post. Coincidentally, I went to a sale at the same house today.

But since you asked...

It is an all Nintendo Thursday (again) and I already have my find of the week!

Silver GBA marked $1.50 paid $1

Misc GBC, GBA, N64 games $2 total. This was a little kid, so I didn't try to deal.

Silver gamecube with extra controller, memory card, Game boy player with boot disc (the reason I bought it), and madden 97.

Wanted $10, Paid $5

Game Boy Color with 11 games and branded case.

Wanted $5 and she wouldn't budge, but I bought it anyway.

Pokemon Original, Blue, Red, Dragon Warrior I / II are the best games (I think).

And the find of the week...

The Coz (cosby show) complete series.

Paid $5 didn't try to deal since it sells for $150-$200 and is still sealed.

That's a lot of puddin. bwah

I saw a book scanner at the same sale before me, chump missed it. :bouncy:
(no offense schultzed)

Found an interesting item at one of 2 yardsales that was actually happening today in the rain: unopened Genesis cleaning kit. Have seen plenty of NES & SNES ones over the years, but never a Genesis one. Even if the alcohol is no good, the pads look fine. It's not Sega branded, but still cool. Has the price tag and clearnace sticker still attached. Anyone find one of these? Brand name is Recoton, who did cleaning kits for cassette players anyway...

[quote name='slowdive21']I saw a book scanner at the same sale before me, chump missed it. :bouncy:
(no offense schultzed)[/QUOTE]

None taken . . . scanner or not, I wouldn't have missed it. Nice find!

I've gotta take a page from "slow" and keep an eye on Thurs . . . I hit a few sales today that started on Thurs :whistle2:(

At one, the woman said they had some Wii games--all sold yesterday. Of course, I then bought something like $100 worth of craft books at that sale for $10. Right next door maybe another $100 worth of DVDs for $12.

I'll post my games later . . . very, very little to post. The rain (while not as bad as Milwaukee which is about 40 mile north of here) definitely put a damper on things today.

[quote name='pulsar0510']Found an interesting item at one of 2 yardsales that was actually happening today in the rain: unopened Genesis cleaning kit. Have seen plenty of NES & SNES ones over the years, but never a Genesis one. Even if the alcohol is no good, the pads look fine. It's not Sega branded, but still cool. Has the price tag and clearnace sticker still attached. Anyone find one of these? Brand name is Recoton, who did cleaning kits for cassette players anyway...[/QUOTE]

I have these two:

cleaningkits.jpg

I bought both within the last year or two at yard sales. The Performance cartridge was already opened when I bought it, but I just took it out of the box a few weeks ago and found that the cleaning solution was still full. I used it on a really dirty Genesis model 1 and it worked perfectly.

Got rained out today. Apparently Northern Illinois is now a rainforest. 105 degrees heat index and heavy rain every 10 minutes.

Somebody post some pics, so I get my sale buzz!

Final fantasy 7 mint $5

She wouldn't budge from $5 and as I was turning away I understood why. She thought I wanted the craptastic copy of granturismo 2 that was on the table even though I hand the ff7 in my hand. "Oh your not going to take the other" half muffled. I realized what she said when I was a few feet away. The guy next to me was bieng a prick trying to snatch up all the games he could. So when I turned around he already took the GT2 . He got a bunch of nes stuff and some ps1 stuff as well.

EDIT: fuck just realized no manual. I guess it aint mint anymore. LOL, was going to keep it but now it's ganna go.

Easily my worst week of the year so far. I could only leave at 11:20 and there was only 1 sale (I went to another but it was closed). Nothing.

Last couple weeks have been way too hot and the finds have been way too not.

cb458c79c2f07a50b22eeb9e9e8a0ef9.jpg

Genesis games $1 each. When the pickings are slim I buy stuff like this. Like going to the grocery store when you're hungry.
Sonic 2, NFL Quarterback Club, Tecmo Super Bowl, La Russa Baseball (w/ team cards), La Russa Baseball 95.

aea87778dda8444e9ad295323a781b63.jpg

Radioshack TRS-80 Tandy Computer
2 boxed Joysticks
A variety of reference manuals including a thick-ass Color Basic programming guide
Software carts: Color File, Space Assault, Popcorn!, Clowns & Balloons, Mega Bug, Music, Poltergeist
A variety of VHF and other cable hookups
Several unopened 16k RAM expansions :lol:

Not really sure what this is worth but I paid $15. Everything is really mint and it's pretty cool. Now I just have to figure out how to hook it up.

^^^Nice find! That lot is easily worth $100+. Personally I would not sell it, because of the condition. I don't know a lot about them, but I am pretty sure "Poltergeist" is a good one, since it is a movie license.

I took a break today so that I would have more time to process my finds from previous weeks. Okay, that's not completely true--I checked out one yardsale leftovers ad (free) on craigslist and walked away with a few crates of books and all kinds of stuff schultzed would like. Though I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with this set of locksmithing books, or this PBS elizabeth cady stanton & susan b. anthony VHS.

The best find out of the bunch could be the VHS storage unit still sealed in the box. I'm hoping it'll house my DVD collection all while taking the weight of two loaded milk crates on top. Seventies woodgrain, meet anime boxsets.

really good finds today:

yard sales:

3 anatomy text books (total value on amazon about $60) - $2
psychology text book (flop) - $2

big box of pc and ps1 games, only thing notable crash team racing. - $3

mint in box slim PS1 w/ 3 crap games and a bunch of memory cards - $5

Lego Batman / Pure
Left 4 dead
cod waw
cod4
desperate housewives seasons 1 and 2
$25 total

mac osx 10.5 - $2 (last ended for $115 0_0)
do I need a cd key to sell this? there's a bar code on the bottom but i don't see a cd key.

district 9 dvd - $1

goodwill:
gallop racer 2006
red dead revolver ps2
star wars rebellion pc
mario teaches typing 2
custom robo box only (game was stolen)
$4.46
I think it was half price day or something, it was supposed to be about $10 but I didn't question it when he said $4.46

ez pawn:
CoDMW2 - $9.99

[quote name='allyourblood']I bought both within the last year or two at yard sales. The Performance cartridge was already opened when I bought it, but I just took it out of the box a few weeks ago and found that the cleaning solution was still full. I used it on a really dirty Genesis model 1 and it worked perfectly.[/QUOTE]
Those are pretty cool (deleted the pic for quoting). I have found the cleaning kits to be invaluable to get decent mileage out of older systems.
The one I got is on a blister pack for a peg hook. Can't upload pics, sorry.

[quote name='darkslime']
mac osx 10.5 - $2 (last ended for $115 0_0)
do I need a cd key to sell this? there's a bar code on the bottom but i don't see a cd key.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. Snow Leopard didn't come with one and neither did iWork 09. Neither asked for anything when installed. Apple is actually pretty great about DRM on software.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Radioshack TRS-80 Tandy Computer
2 boxed Joysticks
A variety of reference manuals including a thick-ass Color Basic programming guide
Software carts: Color File, Space Assault, Popcorn!, Clowns & Balloons, Mega Bug, Music, Poltergeist
A variety of VHF and other cable hookups
Several unopened 16k RAM expansions :lol:

Not really sure what this is worth but I paid $15. Everything is really mint and it's pretty cool. Now I just have to figure out how to hook it up.[/QUOTE]

Like slowdive said, it's worth it. The only one I've encountered so far was in very beat up shape and they wanted $100 with a few games. It wasn't overpriced, but I wouldn't have been able to try it and resell it at cost even, much less for flipping.

Ok, had another pretty good day.

First, we went to the high school up the road, cause they were doing a rummage sale to fundraise for cheerleading nationals. Was mostly clothing, but got 2 Miss Marple dvds, and a sealed Viva Pinata/Banjo Kazooie for $1.50.
dsc01082resized.jpg

Went to another one, and found Supernatural S1-3 and Lost S1-3 for $20 total (didn't haggle, was a no-brainer to not take anyways). She had Burn Notice S1 as well, but I wasn't interested in it.
dsc01081resized.jpg

I started heading northeast, cause I knew there was going to be 2 community sales that direction later. Stopped by one that had a gameboy advance and games. They wanted $30 for the GBA, $5 a game (15~20 total), or $100 for everything. Obviously overpriced, so I picked out the few good ones thinking they would still charge me an arm and a leg (minus Megaman Battle Network 6), and they said $15 is fine. I picked out Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, Robopon, Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Yoshi: Topsy Turvy, Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3. Of course, these people didn't do their research. There was also a sealed Catan and sealed Catan expansion. How much did they want? $6. If I decide to not keep them, it's something like $60 on ebay. Paid them $20 for everything.
dsc01079resized.jpg

Got to the community sale, some guy was fixing up 2x Pacman (I think) cabinets up while hosting his sale. He had some blu-rays for $5 each, so I picked up CJ7 (GF likes Steven Chow), Advent Children, and a CD of Best of House (has Darude, etc on it, haven't been in the trance/house scene for over 5 years, so I figured, why not). Paid $10.
dsc01083resized.jpg

Saving best for last, so skipping one. After everything, we went to a sale by the beach near our house before getting food, but they had overpriced stuff, so I didn't bother. There was a Salvation Army nearby that we didn't know about before (isn't in my GPS, so we happened to drive by it once). Picked up Final Fantasy Chronicles (BL, mint, complete) for $3.75, Metal Gear Solid disk with those blockbuster stickers on it for $0.75, 2 Orson Scott Card books (GF likes his books) for $1 total, and AD&D Player's Handbook 2nd Edition for $1.25. I was intending on flipping the AD&D book, but after flipping through it, I'm kinda wanting to keep it.
dsc01084resized.jpg

And finally, at the community sale we got the blu-rays from, some other lady had an SNES labeled "AS IS $25". Said she hadn't touched it for 5 years, but it was working 5 years ago. I asked if that included all the games by it, and she said yes. Paid her $20 for it all (no AV/DC cables, but I didn't really care about the system itself, since we just recently bought one).
dsc01078resized.jpg

(SNES, 2 controllers, an NES controller, manuals for Mario Kart 64, Mario Golf, 007, Rogue Squadron, Off-Road Challenge, Total Recall, Donkey Kong 3, California Games, Pro Wrestling, Super Metroid, Zelda and map, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros., and Winter Games, HotNewz N64 VHS, Zelda, Super Metroid, Street Fighter II {I didn't see this till right now, my gf took the pictures today -- YAY!}, Mario 1-3, Dragon Warrior, Double Dragon 2, Link/Zelda, 720, Ice Hockey, Winter Games, and Castlevania).

Not pictured: 2 cupcakes from 2 girls' bake sale my GF ate =P

This is my best weekend for yard sales so far. Last two weeks, although last week was blah like most weekends. Went to about 25 or so sales over both weekends.

1003239r.jpg

Soul Calibur II was $1. Makai Kingdom (no instructions), SOCOM: Combined Assault and Tak: Guardians of Gross were $2 each. Ratchet: Deadlocked was $3. Kingdom Hearts II with Prima Guide (not shown) was $6. Jak 3 Piggyback guide (not shown) was a quarter. Half of these i got last week.

1003244.jpg

Castlevania: SoTN and Threads of Fate were $2 each. Final Fantasy Origins was $5. Final Fantasy VII with guide was $7.

1003246.jpg

These were $1 each. Star Wars doesn't have an instruction manual - it's just the cover torn off.

1003247p.jpg

These were a quarter each.

1003259.jpg

These were $2 each. Earthbound sounds loose inside, as does FFIII, but the saves still work. Very happy about this one.

1003260c.jpg

These were 50 cents each. I already had SMB.

1003250j.jpg

The guide was a quarter and is missing the poster. The bags were 50 cents each. The (dirty and missing a battery cover) Arctic White GBA was $1. I can not find any portable games anywhere here, just systems.

1003263v.jpg

All the games besides Virtual Springfield, were 50 cents each and are from last week. Virtual Springfield was a quarter. The Sidewinder was also a quarter. I also got Nancy Drew #13, but i seem to have lost it already.

1003264l.jpg

Merlin and RoboCop 2 were a quarter each. The Little Mermaid was 50 cents.

Other crap i got... mostly books.
DVDs: Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus / Hellboy: Sword of Storms (no comic) / My Life Without Me / Point of No Return / three Japanese R2 budget anime films $7 total

CDs: Bravery "The Bravery" DC Talk "Jesus Freak" Dead Can Dance "Spiritchaser" Echoing Green "The Echoing Green" Goo Goo Dolls "A Boy Named Goo" HIM "Razorblade Romance" Ministry "Twitch" Kylie Minogue "Kylie" New Order "Substance 1987" (disc 2 only) Ramones "Brain Drain" & "All the Stuff and More V1" Roxy Music "Flesh + Blood" Sex Pistols "Never Mind the Bollocks" Sinead O'Connor "So Far..." U2 "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" (disc 2 only - i need to check these better) OST "Beverly Hills Cop" & "Jurassic Park" V/A "Mortal Kombat: More Kombat" $11.50 total

LPs: Blue Oyster Cult "Some Enchanted Evening" Led Zeppelin "I" "IV" "Coda" Van Halen "Van Halen" $2.50 total

Books (HC): Robert Bloch "Psychos" Terry Brooks "The Heritage of Shannara V4" David Eddings "The Tamuli V1 & 2" John Grisham "The Brethren" Gary Gygax "AD&D: Oriental Adventures" Brian Herbert "Legends of Dune 2 & 3" Tomihiro Hoshino "Journey of the Wind" Carolyn Keene "Nancy Drew 51" George RR Martin "A Clash of Kings" Anne Rice "The Vampire Armand" JK Rowling "Harry Potter 2 & 3" Lemony Snicket "A Series of Unfortunate Events V2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10" Paul Stewart "The Edge Chronicles V1, 2, 3, & 4" Scott Turow "Pleading Guilty" $13.25 total

Books (SC): Douglas A Anderson "Tales Before Tolkien" Jodi Lynn Anderson "May Bird V2" Clive Barker "Books of Blood Volumes One to Three" Mark Bowden "Black Hawk Down" Joe Connelly "Bringing Out the Dead" Sarah Dessen "The Truth About Forever" Dave Eggers "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" James Ellroy "American Tabloid" Nancy Farmer "The House of the Scorpion" EM Forster "Howards End" Edward Gorey" The Huanted Looking Glass" Joseph Heller "Catch-22" Masashi Kishimoto "Naruto V27" CS Lewis "The Chronicles of Narnia V1" Gabriel Garcia Marquez "One Hundred Years of Solitude" Cormac McCarthy" The Road" Ian McEwan "Atonement" Jenny Nimmo "Children of the Red King V1, 2, 3" Anne Rice "Memnoch the Devil" Upton Sinclair "The Jungle" Patrick Suskind "Perfume" Sandy Tolan "The Lemon Tree" JRR Tolkien "The Lord of the Rings V1, 2, 3" Kentaro Yabuki "Black Cat V5" Melanie Zimmer "Forgotten Tales of New York" $11.75 total

Books (PB): TA Barron "The Lost Years of Merlin V2 & 3" Peter Benchley "Beast" "Lisa W Cantrell "Torments" Susan Cooper "The Dark is Rising V5" Michael Crichton "The Andromeda Strain" & "A Case of Need" Charles L Grant "The Bloodwind" John Grisham "The Rainmaker" Brian Lumley "Psychosphere" Junius Podrug "Frost of Heaven" Anne Rice "Lasher" Fred Saberhagen "Berserker Kill" Peter Straub "Shadowland" Jack White "The Saxon Shore" $3.75 total

Misc: framed pressed fern / pooh cup $1.25 total

lots of books, which is why i started going to yard sales in the first place.

NES - Athena, Journey To Silius, Legend of Kage & Lode Runner
SNES - Super Nova & U.N. Squadron
Lethal Enforcers II: Gunfighters (Genesis, Complete)

Picked these out and offered $5 and was countered with $8 and I offered to meet in the middle at $6.50 which was taken.

Non Finds BS -
Rain early Friday morning and it actually started pouring down just after I left my house at 8 for a little bit. I came home and went back out at 9:30 for about 2 hours or just over and got to 15 sales only missing 4 sales that didn't open because of the rain.

Too expensive - GameCube that I don't think had a controller and no games for $25. Missed - one house advertised "video games" only saw 2 Xbox games and when I asked about old video games they mentioned a guy they had pegged as a "dealer" buying most of the Xbox games but didn't mention any other systems/games.

The only house I ended up buying anything at I saw advertised in the video game section of Craigslist advertising games from NES to PS3. This sale was close to my place in the next town over and I wanted to make this my first stop but between rain and being poorly set up (couldn't see it at all from the main road the house was on with no mention of it being in the back of the house on CL) I didn't get to this sale till I was heading home and passed by one last time incase they set up late after the rain let up.

Looked like nothing was gone from the video games when I got to the sale and I got the impression that this was just some games being cut from a collector's collection. They had colored stickers at this sale and I made a comment about how I was looking for a price for each color and was told that the owner of the games that was AWOL was the one that came up with the idea for the colored stickers and that they scraped that idea, no stickers on the cart games but I did see pink stickers beside the cart games on the table which I was told was gonna be $5 for that color so I'm guessing that the guy selling the games wanted to put them out with an IAP of $5 for older games and the PS3 games (yellow) for $10. When I made my offer the lady kind of looked over the games and was unsure about it then handed them to the other guy saying to him that he knows more about the games and he said he only recognized 2 of the games sort of as to figure that they ain't anything special. Decent number of games at this sale between PS3, last gen, PS1, N64, Genesis, SNES & NES with some systems only having a few games and some having about a dozen but the rest of the games were sports, nothing special or more common (Wizards & Warriors, Xevious & Batman Returns [SNES]) being some of the better games I remember seeing.

Broken Game Boy Color In Box (Teal) - Free
Bubble Bobble Double Shot (DS, Complete) - 3

Found the broken GBC at the 3rd sale of the day, the screen is messed up. BB-DS I found pretty early on with 2 other DS games, not priced but I think they were asking 5 but took my offer of 3 with no problems.

Playstation A/V Cord In 1st Party RF Box - .25

4 Xbox & 1 360 Games (Dead Or Alive 3 No Manual, Sega Superstars Tennis No Insert) - 5

No price on the A/V cord and took a quarter for it. Found the Xbox games late in the day, SST was marked a buck and the Xbox games 1.50 each. Offered 4 for the Xbox games and ended up also grabbing SST.

PS2 Slim With 1st Party Memory Card, Power Plug & 1st Party Controller. 2x Wavebirds, 2x 360 Wireless 1st Party Controllers, Kingdom Hearts II (Complete) & a 360 Cord.

All of this was 39 if bought at asking price. I offered 20 for everything except the 360 cord and was countered with 25 which I took. Grabbed the 360 cord then which was a buck and made it all 26.

18 NES Games & A Zapper - 5

Asked about games and the guy that owned them was out but was going to be back soon so I came back after a few nearby sales. Ended up bringing this out with a NES with some tangled up cords for the NES including some SNES (3rd party IIRC) controllers. The system and controllers were all really dirty, no lid on the NES and the one controller was missing a good hunk of plastic and you could see the PCB inside. I ended up offering 5 for the games which was taken.

Non Find BS -
Got out today about 5-10 minutes after 8 and was out for about 4 1/2 only missing the last sale on my list that didn't open today or was completely done and packed up shortly after noon, They were calling for rain off and on this morning last night but it ended up being nice out, got to about 42 sales.

I can't remember anything that was really expensive today and was told that I missed a "Nintendo" at one house and late in the morning PS2 & PSP games that went fast.

I stopped at one house I was at Friday as I was told that they had something in the attic that they might want to get rid of that they may dig out. When I came back it was dad running the sale and when I asked he said his daughter was thinking of a 7800 with a bunch of games but he politely told me that he wasen't really looking to get rid of it and mentioned something about it being worth money or someday being worth money, seemed like the typical misunderstanding with old games and exactly how much it could be worth from somebody that doesn't really understand the value of older games.

I asked about video games at one house and the older guy remembered a Nintendo system with games that his daughter had in her basement. Asked about it and she didn't have it anymore, some guys were doing some work in her basement and saw it and asked and ended up buying it which was one I never heard of before and seems like it could be considered unprofessional lol.

[quote name='slowdive21']Amazing![/QUOTE]

Have I told my Earthbound story lately?

True story, 1997-ish Best Buy has Earthbound on clearance. This is the big box with players guide inside.

I pick one up for $5.99 (something like that). I go over to Funcoland and they gave me $40 something for it (in their worthless trade credit) and I'm thinking "hot shit!" So, I go back to Best Buy and pick up the last 2 on the shelf. I couldn't get back to Funcoland for about a week. In the meantime, the trade in credit has dropped to something like $8. Do I say . . . "hell, its worth more than that." "Heck, there will be an online auction service available in a few years where this can sell for big bucks."

No, I took the meager $16 in additional credit and drove off.

Bad, bad, bad.

[quote name='schultzed']Have I told my Earthbound story lately?

True story, 1997-ish Best Buy has Earthbound on clearance. This is the big box with players guide inside.

I pick one up for $5.99 (something like that). I go over to Funcoland and they gave me $40 something for it (in their worthless trade credit) and I'm thinking "hot shit!" So, I go back to Best Buy and pick up the last 2 on the shelf. I couldn't get back to Funcoland for about a week. In the meantime, the trade in credit has dropped to something like $8. Do I say . . . "hell, its worth more than that." "Heck, there will be an online auction service available in a few years where this can sell for big bucks."

No, I took the meager $16 in additional credit and drove off.

Bad, bad, bad.[/QUOTE]
OUCH! Owned by Funcoland!

bread's done
Back