Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

Thanks for the post, was at work for 12 hours today and couldn't keep up with the story.
It makes sense for the Big 10 to go after those media markets, hope it works out well.

[quote name='chuckie88']Thanks for the post, was at work for 12 hours today and couldn't keep up with the story.
It makes sense for the Big 10 to go after those media markets, hope it works out well.[/QUOTE]

Too bad the Big 10 didn't realize that DCs market could care less about Maryland. It is still the ACC market with UVA alums all in the area and VT still the most well known athletics in the area. Though DC is more about Pros than College sports anyways.

[quote name='chuckie88']Thanks for the post, was at work for 12 hours today and couldn't keep up with the story.
It makes sense for the Big 10 to go after those media markets, hope it works out well.[/QUOTE]

It will money wise. Even if people in NYC and DC don't care about Rutgers/UMD it will force the Big Ten network down on to basic cable plans rather than sports packs or digital plus packages. Thus they'll get more money from each basic cable subscriber even if they never watch the channel.

I saw a breakdown somewhere yesterday. They get like 15-20 cents for each subscriber on a digital plus or sports pack, but around .70 cents for each when it's offered in the basic cable package.

[quote name='dmaul1114']It will money wise. Even if people in NYC and DC don't care about Rutgers/UMD it will force the Big Ten network down on to basic cable plans rather than sports packs or digital plus packages. Thus they'll get more money from each basic cable subscriber even if they never watch the channel.

I saw a breakdown somewhere yesterday. They get like 15-20 cents for each subscriber on a digital plus or sports pack, but around .70 cents for each when it's offered in the basic cable package.[/QUOTE]

You are right again Dmaul. FOX/Newscorp, which owns a portion of the BTN, just bought a 49% share of the YES Network. So do not be surprised if YES and BTN come as a package deal in the tri-state area.

As a Rutgers fan and alum I'm thrilled by this whole outcome.

WVU finally gets a win, winning 31-24 at Iowa State. Ugly win but I'll take. Bowl eligible now, and should beat Kansas at home next week.

Will be a crappy "who cares" bowl, but the extra practices are important for next year since we have so many Freshman and Sophomores playing currently.

Yeah, it was good for W.Virginia to score that victory today. They should beat Kansas in the closer and a 7-5 finish always looks better than a 6-6 one.

I did not see the Apple Cup upset coming today, I really didn't think Washington St. had much of a chance against Washington. Anything can happen in any game though, especially in these end of season contests. I was really pulling for Iowa to go out with a win but they just couldn't get it done against Nebraska. So the Big Ten title game comes down to the Cornhuskers and Wisconsin.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's ABC slate, haven't been this excited for a single channel's one day lineup all season. The Game between the Wolverines and Buckeyes is followed by Florida vs Florida St. with N.Dame vs USC as the nightcap. FANTASTIC day of football begins 12 hours from now. Go Blue! :D

Definitely hope Michigan pulls it out so I don't have to hear the delusional portion of Ohio State fans saying they deserve the AP National Title. They played no one out of conference, the Big 10 is way down this year, and they won't play in a conference championship game or a bowl game. I know none of those things will matter to the more "passionate" group of their fans :roll:.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way I watch the title game this year regardless as I loathed all the teams still in play going into this weekend. So just rooting against FSU and ND as those are my to most hated teams outside of WVU rivals like Pitt and VT.

:D. and yep. That blowhard is one of many reasons I despise the Criminoles. Their fanbase is full of people like him that still think it's the late 90s. :lol:

This Notre Dame game has been more stressful than the Florida game, now that Florida won... not looking too good for title game hopes, though. Notre Dame looks impressive.

fuck YEAH, IRISH IN THE TITLE GAME! 1 MORE TO GO FELLAS!

images

Well the Wolverines couldn't quite get it done against the Buckeyes but at least they lost by a respectable margin. Just think, if OSU hadn't earned their postseason play ban they would only have to beat Nebraska again to have an excellent chance of playing N.Dame for the championship in an all midwest matchup!

Now that the title game is sure to be the SEC champ versus the Irish, we are just left to wonder about the other BCS bowl invites. Obviously we'll have the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Pac 12, and Big 12 champs among them. I'd also bet on both Florida and Oregon getting selected. That leaves only one more at large pick, it surely won't be from the Big East and probably not the Big Ten either. If Florida St. and K.State win the ACC and Pac 12, I'd guess it will be either Clemson or Oklahoma.

Kent State? :lol: #15-21 all lost this weekend, and #22 was idle. They could easily move up to #16, and a 16th ranked MAC champion gets a BCS bid if they're higher ranked than an AQ champ, which they would be over the Big East.

[quote name='chuckie88']I'd also bet on both Florida and Oregon getting selected.[/QUOTE]

There's no doubt for Florida, they'll be in the top 4 and they will get a BCS bowl no matter what.

BCS Championship: Notre Dame vs. Alabama/Georgia

Fiesta Bowl: Kansas State/Oklahoma vs. Oregon

Rose Bowl: Stanford/UCLA vs. Nebraska/Wisconsin

Sugar Bowl: Florida vs. Oklahoma/Kent State

Orange Bowl: Florida State/Georgia Tech vs. Rutgers/Louisville

I didn't even realize they had a shot but you're right Geno, the Golden Flashes could actually pull it off. They are actually a pretty decent team although they were crushed by Kentucky in their loss. They'll face off against a one loss N.Illinois squad that lost by a single point to Iowa in their first game for the MAC title. I'm sure that a victory in that game would only help Kent St.'s case as NIU could also be in the BCS top 25 at that time. I think it would be pretty great if they finish at 16 or higher above a Big East winning Rutgers because they beat the Scarlet Knights head to head. Thanks for the heads up, now I have a team to pull for in the MAC title game. C'mon Kent State!

It's interesting; the BCS sent out a press release of the 25 teams still under consideration last week, and Northern Illinois wasn't on the list. However, they were ranked in the human polls last week (ahead of Kent State even), and with everyone losing this week that should put them in the top 25. While not a lock, odds are good that the winner of the MAC Championship is BCS bound.

[quote name='blindinglights']
BCS Championship: Notre Dame vs. Alabama/Georgia

Fiesta Bowl: Kansas State/Oklahoma vs. Oregon

Rose Bowl: Stanford/UCLA vs. Nebraska/Wisconsin

Sugar Bowl: Florida vs. Oklahoma/Kent State

Orange Bowl: Florida State/Georgia Tech vs. Rutgers/Louisville[/QUOTE]

Good gravy, the possibility of the Yellow Jackets taking on the Big East winner is awful. Those predictions are pretty similar to what I was also thinking now that Kent St. has been entered into my possible options. The Rose Bowl is a done deal and both conferences will be happy that they get to have the traditional match between conference champions. If Oklahoma loses to TCU and Kent St. also falters, then Clemson could get in. We'll all know soon enough I guess.
[quote name='Genocidal']It's interesting; the BCS sent out a press release of the 25 teams still under consideration last week, and Northern Illinois wasn't on the list. However, they were ranked in the human polls last week (ahead of Kent State even), and with everyone losing this week that should put them in the top 25. While not a lock, odds are good that the winner of the MAC Championship is BCS bound.[/QUOTE]
I hope so, the MAC had a pretty solid season this year. Although facing off against a team like Florida would be quite a tall order, the payday and exposure would be great for the MAC.

EDIT: Full disclosure, my first degree was from a MAC school. :lol:

[quote name='chuckie88']Good gravy, the possibility of the Yellow Jackets taking on the Big East winner is awful. Those predictions are pretty similar to what I was also thinking now that Kent St. has been entered into my possible options. The Rose Bowl is a done deal and both conferences will be happy that they get to have the traditional match between conference champions. If Oklahoma loses to TCU and Kent St. also falters, then Clemson could get in. We'll all know soon enough I guess.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that Clemson will drop out of the top 14(?) or whatever is required for an at-large bid.

[quote name='blindinglights']Pretty sure that Clemson will drop out of the top 14(?) or whatever is required for an at-large bid.[/QUOTE]
You are totally right, I take back everything I wrote recently regarding Clemson and the BCS bowls. For some reason, I had it in my head that they beat S.Carolina yesterday. I'm not really sure why that was but I thought the scores were reversed.

In the possible bowl combos I posted, I had Oklahoma in there but didn't realize they had a game left since I thought Bedlam was their last one. If they lose their last game to TCU, K-State gets the Fiesta Bowl, but I have no idea who would get an at-large bid if there's no Non-AQ school in there. Each conference is limited to 2 BCS teams so even though there are plenty of SEC and Pac-12 teams to choose from, they wouldn't be eligible.

Probably a decent chance both OU and K-State get BCS bids if they both win their last game. Would think Oregon has a great chance for an at large as well, sitting there at 11-1. But I suppose the Big 12, SEC, and Pac 10 can't all get two teams, so some good team(s) will get left out. Especially if Kent State or NIU gets an automatic at large.

Hard to know what to make of ND's chances vs. Bama/UGA. They just keep winning, but there schedule was fairly weak. Stanford and Oklahoma are the only two teams they played (2 losses each) and they barely beat Stanford. And OU could have (and probably should have) lost to WVU and Ok State.

At the same time, the SEC teams are a tad overrated as the league just isn't quite as good this year as in years past. They really benefit from having two 7 team divisions. With only two cross division games, a lot of the top teams don't play each other, so the conference doesn't beat each other up so much (unlike a round robin league or a 12 team league with extra cross division game) and thus they have a bunch of 1-2 loss teams ranked high.

And Alabama and UGA both played no one out of conference. Michigan probably the best team either of them played, and they're just mediocre.

So pretty much a crap shoot of a title game. I have no interest in watching anyway, but I would't be surprised if it was a blow out either way, or a boring close, defensive struggle. Only surprise would be a shootout.

I am really looking forward to see where Kent State and Northern Illinois place in the polls this week seeing as 15-25 lost besides Kent State and Boise State which didn't play. It would be pretty amazing to see a MAC team get into a BCS bowl game.

Hopefully NIU crushes Kent State in the Mac Championship so they get some recognition finally.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Hard to know what to make of ND's chances vs. Bama/UGA. They just keep winning, but there schedule was fairly weak. Stanford and Oklahoma are the only two teams they played (2 losses each) and they barely beat Stanford. And OU could have (and probably should have) lost to WVU and Ok State.[/QUOTE]

I haven't looked at each of Notre Dame's opponents, but I do know that Stanford and Pitt both gave Notre Dame fits and both of those teams have pretty big and tough lines on both sides of the ball. If those two teams can give the golden domes problems, Alabama will likely do the same. If Notre Dame's defense can play lights out, I think it will be a toss up. If Notre Dame's defense lets them get behind by 10 points or more, I don't think they will have the offense to pull it out.

On the other hand, if they go against Georgia, it will likely depend on what kind of day Aaron Murray has. If Notre Dame can force him to have a bad day, they will have a great shot to win.

[quote name='dmaul1114']At the same time, the SEC teams are a tad overrated as the league just isn't quite as good this year as in years past. They really benefit from having two 7 team divisions. With only two cross division games, a lot of the top teams don't play each other, so the conference doesn't beat each other up so much (unlike a round robin league or a 12 team league with extra cross division game) and thus they have a bunch of 1-2 loss teams ranked high.[/QUOTE]

I read an article the other day that was talking about how the 14 team format can allow a conference to produce more 10+ win teams and by having more teams with better records it lifts the overall appearance of the league. The Big 12 will have to expand if they want to compete with the Pac-12 and SEC (it's not currently affecting them against the B1G or the ACC, but it still could in the future).

Say three of the Big 12's teams win next week. You will end up with this:

Kansas State 11-1
Oklahoma 10-2
Texas 8-4
Oklahoma State 8-4

If they had four more teams this year, regardless of who they were, all of their top 4 teams could've potentially had double digit wins. If those four teams were all Kansas clones it wouldn't make any of the top teams better, but it would make their records look better and therefore the poll voters would rank them higher.

Head to head is really the only way to compare teams, but since big time out of conference match-ups aren't that common thanks to the way the BCS is setup (we really need a 16 team play-off) record is what most voters go by.

Yep, the Big 12 really needs to expand. Need the conference championship game and divisions to keep the top 4 or 5 teams from beating up on each other so much.

Just have to wait and see what happens with the ACC and whether the Big 10 and/or SEC decide to go to 16 and take ACC teams. If that happens the Big 12 will have some decent ACC left overs to pick from.

If it doesn't, it's tough as they're left with either staying at 10, or watering down the league with Big East teams or teams like BYU that hurt conference SoS and don't really bring much in the way of big media markets either.

Perfect scenario is Big 10 grabs a couple teams from UVA/UNC/GT (maybe ND, but I figure they just go back independent if ACC gets picked apart) and SEC grabs VT and NC State. That leaves a lot of strong teams/markets like FSU, Clemson, GT etc. for the Big 12 go to after.

But I kind of doubt all that happens. ESPN has a lot of money invested in the ACC and will probably through more at them to save the league.

In that case, best the Big 12 can do for now is probably add BYU and Louisville (assuming the ACC takes UCONN to replace UMD) to get back to 12.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
At the same time, the SEC teams are a tad overrated as the league just isn't quite as good this year as in years past. They really benefit from having two 7 team divisions. With only two cross division games, a lot of the top teams don't play each other, so the conference doesn't beat each other up so much (unlike a round robin league or a 12 team league with extra cross division game) and thus they have a bunch of 1-2 loss teams ranked high.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='blindinglights']
I read an article the other day that was talking about how the 14 team format can allow a conference to produce more 10+ win teams and by having more teams with better records it lifts the overall appearance of the league. The Big 12 will have to expand if they want to compete with the Pac-12 and SEC (it's not currently affecting them against the B1G or the ACC, but it still could in the future).[/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing about a larger league size helping the overall profile of that league. I'm sure that's an additional positive aspect of the Big 10's upcoming expansion that the conference neglected to mention. I agree that the Big 12 would be wise to start looking at which teams they can add for this reason.

[quote name='RealDeals']fuck YEAH, IRISH IN THE TITLE GAME! 1 MORE TO GO FELLAS!

images
[/QUOTE]

+1!

How fitting was it that Notre Dame sealed the game with a goal line stand?

Get out the Leprechaun suit Mark May!

Looks like Johnny Football pretty much wrapped up the Heisman yesterday. Unless there's enough voters that buy into Manti's story but I don't see a linebacker bringing home the hardware.

I still don't think it's fair that Klein most likely loses it because his bad game (and statistically it wasn't horrible, just not elite) happened late and Johnny's happened earlier. If you look at the total body of work Klein was consistently solid while Manziel has just come on as of late.

Look as his stats against LSU and Florida:
PASS RUSH

LSU: 29-56 276 0-3, 17-27
FLO: 23-30 173 0-0, 17-60 (1)

Yeah he's racked up some serious stats against the weaker opponents but he didn't do a whole lot in the "Big" games sans Bama.

Hard to argue Klein over Manziel when you look at stats.

Manziel: 273/400 for 3,419 yds, 24 tds, 8 ints; 184 rushes for 1,181 yds and 19 tds.

Klein: 172/258 for 2,306, 14 tds, 6 ints; 171 rushes for 787 yards, 20 tds.

Granted Klein still has a game to go, but he won't come close to Manziel's numbers and is only ahead in rushing touch downs.

Manziel had the best year for a freshman QB that I can recall. Especially being in the SEC vs. Klein in the Big 12 where a lot of teams play crappy defense.

That certainly matters as well. Media hype has a huge influence on the vote.

Honestly, T'eo wouldn't be in the discussion if not for his story and media hype. He's a great player, but his stats aren't that great. He's not ranked high nationally in any defensive stat really.

[quote name='dmaul1114']He's not ranked high nationally in any defensive stat really.[/QUOTE]

He has 7 INTs as a LB. Only one DB has more (Phillip Thomas, Fresno St, 8).

But yeah, his story + Notre Dame is the only reason he's getting recognized. If he had 200 tackles and 10 INTs as a LB at Boston College he wouldn't even get invited to New York.

True on the INTs. I was thinking of tackles, tackles for loss etc. Saw some stats somewhere last week that showed he was like 40 or lower in all those kind of categories.

If a defensive player is going to win the heisman, they need to have a monster year all around--or play both ways some like Woodson did.

Really though, they should just add a defensive heisman. They never win currently, and the damn statue is an offensive player stiff arming someone. Just create a defensive heisman (name is something else) that's voted on by the same people and given out in the same ceremony since no one really cares about any of the other college football awards that get given out.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True on the INTs. I was thinking of tackles, tackles for loss etc. Saw some stats somewhere last week that showed he was like 40 or lower in all those kind of categories.

If a defensive player is going to win the heisman, they need to have a monster year all around--or play both ways some like Woodson did.

Really though, they should just add a defensive heisman. They never win currently, and the damn statue is an offensive player stiff arming someone. Just create a defensive heisman (name is something else) that's voted on by the same people and given out in the same ceremony since no one really cares about any of the other college football awards that get given out.[/QUOTE]

I agree and have been saying the same thing for years. It's not fair to put both sides of the ball up for the same trophy.

Klein is a ridiculously mediocre passer and vultures rushing TDs near the endzone. His stats are inflated IMO. Also, Manziel's team was never in control of its own destiny and a shot at the title, and Klein was dreadful that game.

Also dmaul I think you nailed it when you said the SEC weakened specifically in the last 2 years. (See LSU last year). We need to differentiate it from those monster Florida, Bama, Auburn teams of recent years.

[quote name='chuckie88']EDIT: Full disclosure, my first degree was from a MAC school. :lol:[/QUOTE]My second was as well, which is part of my interest in the conference, combined with proximity of the teams. 2010 (soccer) National Champions!

[quote name='RealDeals']Also dmaul I think you nailed it when you said the SEC weakened specifically in the last 2 years. (See LSU last year). We need to differentiate it from those monster Florida, Bama, Auburn teams of recent years.[/QUOTE]

Possible coincidence: Stricter oversigning rules were approved by the SEC university presidents before the 2011-12 season. The next few years will tell if that has anything to do with it when those classes start to come through as juniors and seniors with less depth and academic gambles than they could recruit in the past.

Possible coincidence: Stricter oversigning rules were approved by the SEC university presidents before the 2011-12 season. The next few years will tell if that has anything to do with it when those classes start to come through as juniors and seniors with less depth and academic gambles than they could recruit in the past.[/QUOTE]

Very well might have a lot to do with it. Off the top of my head, I can remember hearing about a lot more SEC players in trouble academically the last few years. Either they've had less flexibility on that end, or it's been reported less. (Or I'm just crazy and out of the loop :booty:)

BCS rankings are out:
  • 1) Notre Dame 12-0
  • 2)Alabama 11-1
  • 3) Georgia 11-1
  • 4) Florida 11-1
  • 5) Oregon 11-1
  • 6) Kansas State 10-1
  • 7) LSU 10-2
  • 8) Stanford 10-2
  • 9) Texas A&M 10-2
  • 10) South Carolina 10-2
  • 11) Oklahoma 9-2
  • 12) Nebraska 10-2
  • 13) Florida State 10-2
  • 14) Clemson 10-2
  • 15) Oregon State 8-3
  • 16) UCLA 9-3
  • 17) Kent State 11-1
  • 18) Texas 8-3
  • 19) Michigan 8-4
  • 20) Boise State 9-2
  • 21) Northern Illinois 11-1
  • 22) Northwestern 9-3
  • 23) Oklahoma State 7-4
  • 24) Utah State 10-2
  • 25) San Jose State 10-2

The Big (L)East doesn't have a single team in the top 25 while Kent St. is sitting at #17. If the Golden flashes beat the 21st ranked Huskies Friday they should finish in the top 16 and go to a BCS bowl. I found it interesting that Michigan stayed exactly where they were after losing to the Buckeyes.

What a joke. Michigan loses and doesn't drop, Oregon State gets blown out and doesn't drop, UCLA gets blown out and goes up a spot! The Powers-That-Be are doing everything they can to keep the non-AQ schools out of the BCS picture.

[quote name='Genocidal']What a joke. Michigan loses and doesn't drop, Oregon State gets blown out and doesn't drop, UCLA gets blown out and goes up a spot! The Powers-That-Be are doing everything they can to keep the non-AQ schools out of the BCS picture.[/QUOTE]
It is strange isn't it? I know Michigan has lost against quality teams and all (45-3 combined record) but I really didn't expect them to remain where they were, the computers kept them there as the human polls placed the Wolverines at 23 and 24. It appears the opposite was true with the two teams out West. The human polls placed Oregon St. at 15 and 17 and both have UCLA at 16.

If I get over other two remaining where they were before, I still have trouble understanding how the Bruins move UP after a loss. UCLA is right in front of Kent St. though so if they lose and Kent St. wins, the MAC should have their first BCS team. I think that's the only way a non-AQ school gets in this year. Boise St. still has to play a decent Nevada team but that probably won't be enough to get there and neither will a N. Illinois victory over Kent St.

Many of the teams that still have a game left to play are too far ahead of the Golden Flashes to help them by losing (Alabama, Georgia, Kansas St., Stanford, Oklahoma, and maybe Nebraska). A Florida St. loss would probably help the cause but that isn't likely to come against a 6-6 Georgia Tech team. What could really screw Kent St. is a Texas victory that moves the Longhorns in front of the Golden Flashes. Kent St. needs to win and for Stanford to beat UCLA, a Longhorn loss would be nice insurance too.

bread's done
Back