Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

New BCS are out, here are the key stats for the top 5.

1. Kansas State: .9674; Harris- 2; Coach's-2; Computer Avg-2
2. Oregon: .9497; Harris- 1; Coach's-1; Computer Avg-4
3. Notre Dame: .9396; Harris- 3; Coach's-3; Computer Avg-1
4. Alabama: .8534 ; Harris- 4; Coach's-5; Computer Avg-5
5. Georgia: .8328; Harris- 4: Coach's-4: Computer Avg- 6

K State is in great shape if they win out as they're almost .02 up on Oregon despite being #2 in the human polls. And they have Baylor and Texas left, so no crappy team to pull down their computer numbers.

Oregon and ND are close, but being #1 in both human polls should keep them in the title game if they win out, and they have more games and tougher games left as well so they at the least shouldn't lose anything in computer rankings where as Wake may pull ND's down a tad.

And we see from Bama and UGA's score that the earlier worries some had that a 1 loss SEC team could get in over an unbeaten Oregon or K State or ND were unfounded. Too much penalty in the equation for a loss for that to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me get this...
FSU pulls out a win away against VT AWAY and drops 2 spots in the AP. UF needed a block punt for a touchdown to escape ULL at HOME and stays at #7. Yeah I got it. :roll:

BCS... SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! I thought you guys said there was no bias. 6 teams in the top 10 (with 3 of them having 2 losses; see one of the 1 loss teams above).

Oh Alabama, why do you play with my heart like this?

At this point, (and it kills me to say this) I almost want to see ND sneak into the championship game just for history's sake.

I think that the current big three undefeateds will all stay that way through the end but I think Oregon might have the biggest test left against Oregon State. We'll see.

Opus, I think Florida should have dropped too but it won't matter in the long run since FSU plays Florida and can work it out.

[quote name='Halo05']Oh Alabama, why do you play with my heart like this?[/QUOTE]

Two national titles in the last three years. I can see how that would wear on a person.

[quote name='Halo05']I wanted a third, so sue me.

I would've been more okay with a loss to Florida or LSU. Against Texas A&M?! Preposterous.[/QUOTE]

Dat spread...

[quote name='lordopus99']So let me get this...
FSU pulls out a win away against VT AWAY and drops 2 spots in the AP. UF needed a block punt for a touchdown to escape ULL at HOME and stays at #7. Yeah I got it. :roll:

BCS... SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! I thought you guys said there was no bias. 6 teams in the top 10 (with 3 of them having 2 losses; see one of the 1 loss teams above).[/QUOTE]
Regarding BCS bias, I have always stated the opposite.
[quote name='chuckie88']Human polls (as varied as they can be) still count for two thirds of the BCS rankings...Human beings also create and implement the various computer formulas...With regards to if it is a biased system, of course it is. Any ranking system based on human opinions will be, despite all efforts...[/QUOTE]
Regarding FSU and Florida. As much as you hate that the computers are hating on the Seminoles while showing love to the Gators, it's better for you than if they were hating on both teams. It benefits Florida St. for Florida to be ranked as high as possible when they play. I still think it's possible for FSU and Clemson to end up in a BCS bowl if both finish with only one loss. In the eyes of the computers, a win over Florida will count for as much (if not more) than an ACC title.

Somewhat unrelated but I wondered, do you guys have a college basketball thread going here on CAG as well? I've come to like having a bit of college sports mixed in with my gaming threads.

4e77b7ed_get-a-brain-morans.jpg

Holy crap! No way going into today I thought Notre Dame would be the last man standing! It's bittersweet because I'm a fan of both Kansas State and Notre Dame. I was hoping Oregon would lose so those two could meet in the championship game. The main downfall of tonight's action is that the fucking SEC is back in the mix.

I am already nervous for next week's USC game. I've been in this position with another of my favorite teams and it did not end well. Cubs, game 6, 5 outs away from the World Series, Bartman, and the rest is history....

[quote name='blindinglights']How far do KSU and UO drop?

If ND loses to USC... Then what happens?

:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

K-State got blown out and should drop quite a bit. In a fair system, Oregon should be right ahead of Alabama since their loss was "better" (vs. #13 in OT instead of vs. #15 after being down by 20). So, we'll probably see Oregon 6th or 7th. SEC fans will argue that the stiff competition they faced this week from teams such as Western Carolina, Wofford and Jacksonville State entitles them to be in the 2-7 slots.

Ohio State fans are ecstatic the team put off their bowl ban a year so we could go to the Gator Bowl at 6-6.

[quote name='Chitown021']Cubs, game 6, 5 outs away from the World Series, Bartman crap team that blew it and their fans blamed it on one stupid fan, and the rest is history....[/QUOTE]

Fixed it for you. ;)

[quote name='blindinglights']Fixed it for you. ;)[/QUOTE]

You're right. I never blamed Bartman for the collapse, I just used the name since it was the quickest way to reference the game.

I've always felt horrible for the guy. I blame the shortstop Alex Gonzalez for booting a tailor made double play ball shortly after Moises threw that fit. That and Dusty Baker for being a completely craptastic manager (how is that guy STILL allowed to manage in MLB?)

I like this weekend. Kansas State will tank in the polls since Baylor has a losing record and they got hammered. Oregon's drop will be interesting. Hopefully, they fall behind my team. We have UF who will be ranked above us. Clemson will get SC who is ranked above them. Two ACC schools in BCS games... the track is looking pretty clear, even with the computer bias against our conference.

[quote name='lordopus99']Oregon's drop will be interesting. Hopefully, they fall behind my team.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bet on it.

In fact, knowing how screwy this whole thing can be, I wouldn't even be surprised if they get shafted like so:

1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Georgia
5. Florida
6. LSU
7. Texas A&M
8. South Carolina
9. Stanford
10. Florida State

Not saying that will happen, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me considering last week's computer rankings for Stanford and Oregon (11 and 4, respectively) versus Florida State's (17).

Edit: Brad Edwards projecting K-State still being in the top 5, WTF. Might even be worse.

WTF, are the conferences about to start shuffling again? ESPN bottom line just said Maryland is trying to buy their way out of the ACC so they can join the Big 10. It also said that if Maryland goes then Rutgers is going to go as well.

BCS is a real clusterfuck now. Will be a bunch of 1 loss teams with maybe ND unbeaten.

Odd timing on the UMD and Rutgers news/rumors. Not super surprising as those are teams that have been mentioned as possibly of interest to the Big 10 in the past to get the Big 10 network more of a foothold in the DC/Baltimore and NYC markets.

Actually, maybe the timing isn't that odd. The Big 10 probably decided to try to weaken the ACC when ND joined as a partial member They're probably hoping other teams will go elsewhere and ND will have their hand forced to joining the Big 10 when they eventually go to 16. And I think most of the power conferences will eventually as scheduling is easier with 16 than 14--lots of bitching in the SEC about scheduling this year.

Here's another column on the Big 10 rumors.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab-...QDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

[quote name='blindinglights']I wouldn't bet on it.

In fact, knowing how screwy this whole thing can be, I wouldn't even be surprised if they get shafted like so:

1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Georgia
5. Florida
6. LSU
7. Texas A&M
8. South Carolina
9. Stanford
10. Florida State

Not saying that will happen, but it definitely wouldn't surprise me considering last week's computer rankings for Stanford and Oregon (11 and 4, respectively) versus Florida State's (17).

Edit: Brad Edwards projecting K-State still being in the top 5, WTF. Might even be worse.[/QUOTE]

During Game Day Final, they were saying spot 5 would be questionable. They were projecting...
1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. ??? Either Kansas State, Oregon, FSU

Oregon is most likely getting that spot so no doubt we will get screwed. Our win over Clemson is stronger than any win by Kansas State or Oregon; Clemson being ranked higher (to date) than any opponent either has faced. If Kansas State gets the spot after being hammered by a losing record school, you know how faulty this system is. Losing by a score, not a huge deal. Losing by multiple scores, it shows your team wasn't as good as people thought. Kansas State IMO should be the last 1 loss team in the rankings because of that reason.

Opus, the win over Clemson might be better but loss to NC State versus loss to Stanford is the problem with Oregon. K-State should drop to 15 or lower, IMO. They got blown out as the #1 team by a squad who was 4-5 at the time with losses to TCU and Iowa State. Hopefully the voters offset the Big 12 loving computers, but I doubt they will enough.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Big 10 probably decided to try to weaken the ACC when ND joined as a partial member They're probably hoping other teams will go elsewhere and ND will have their hand forced to joining the Big 10 when they eventually go to 16. [/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? I highly doubt that a bottom feeder football program with decent basketball jumping ship is going to make others follow suit and weaken the ACC so that the B1G can get Notre Dame, especially with that $50 million dollar exit fee.

UCONN has already openly said they'd want to come to the ACC, so Maryland leaves and they'll likely get replaced with another football bottom feeder that just so happens to be better in basketball. If anything, this will likely just end up being more problems for the Big East.

Personally, I wish the ACC would go after a better football school like Cincy or Louisville, but the North Carolina schools will most likely push UCONN.

The next two weeks will be interesting. How will Notre Dame handle the pressure of being #1 going into the USC game next week? I will also be interested to see how Kansas State plays against Texas. They can still clinch at least a share of the Big 12 title with a win (it seems so stupid that they don't use the head-to-head tie breaker to award it straight up) but will they just pack it in now that all of the air is out of the balloon?

I mean that the big ten expanding may pressure the Big 12 to expand and maybe the SEC to go to 16. ACC schools would be the top targets for both and that could potentially kill off the ACC as a power conference and pressure ND into the Big Ten.

I still think we eventually see the four power conferences go to 14-16 teams and break into their own division. Will probably take a long time and some controversies with the playoffs to get there. Best case is they break away and do a six team playoff with two at large teams and the two highest ranked conference champs getting first round byes.

Until something like that is in place college football will continue to be a joke in terms of determining a true champion as the four team playoff isn't that big of an improvement when there are so many conferences and usually not much clear separation after the top team or two most years.

Just finished watching the WVU game I DVRd last night (was out of town for a conference). That was a heartbreaker--shitty defense again lets the team down, along with some poor special teams play again.

At least the offense finally got back on track with over 700 yards of offense and 49 points.

Tavon Austin had a crazy game. WR who's a finalist for the Biletnikoff award and they put him at RB for a lot of the game (was all time leading rusher in Maryland in high school) and he ran for 344 yards and two scores. Also had 4 receptions for 82 yards and a bunch of return yardage to set a school and Big 12 record with 572 total yards.

WVU's other Biletnikoff finalist, Stedman Bailey, had a great game as well with 13 catches for 205 yards and 4 TDs.

But again the defense sucked and gave up 554 yards and 6 TDs to Landry Jones. :bomb:

Blurb added to the ESPN article on the possible Big 10 expansion.

No date has been set for a potential announcement, though it could come as soon as Monday. The Maryland board of regents will meet at 9 a.m. Monday morning to decide on the move, a source with direct knowledge told ESPN.com Sunday morning.

But there is not a consensus among athletic department officials. The source said the school is leaning toward the move but there is still time for the school to decide to stay in the ACC.

Holy crap! What a crazy day in NCAAF. Anyone hoping to avoid an all SEC final should be pulling for the Irish to win at USC. Otherwise there is the potential of the winner of the SEC title game facing Florida. It might have a better chance of happening if it's Alabama as the Georgia vs Florida game earlier this year was pretty ugly and the Gators didn't play Alabama this year. Anti-SEC folks should also be pulling for Florida St. to beat Florida and win the ACC for the same reason, hoping it's enough to get over the computers being so down on FSU.

[quote name='Genocidal']Ohio State fans are ecstatic the team put off their bowl ban a year so we could go to the Gator Bowl at 6-6.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, genius move by the decision makers at Ohio. They would be ranked top two without question if not for their shortsightedness. Smooth move Buckeyes. :lol:

Really long shot, but if Alabama lost to Auburn, and then beat Georgia, they'd both be two loss. I can't see Florida being in the NCG over Oregon if they beat OSU if that happens.

EDIT: Also, FSU could beat Florida! My SEC hatred lives lol

BCS Rankings:

1 Notre Dame 11-0
2 Alabama 10-1
3 Georgia 10-1
4 Florida 10-1
5 Oregon 10-1
6 Kansas State 10-1
7 LSU 9-2
8 Stanford 9-2
9 Texas A&M 9-2
10 Florida State 10-1
11 Clemson 10-1
12 South Carolina 9-2
13 Oklahoma 8-2
14 Nebraska 9-2
15 Oregon State 8-2
16 Texas 8-2
17 UCLA 9-2
18 Rutgers 9-1
19 Michigan 8-3
20 Louisville 9-1
21 Oklahoma State 7-3
22 Boise State 9-2
23 Kent State 10-1
24 Arizona 7-4
25 Washington 7-4

Stanford jumps Florida State, it's not easy being a prophet.

[quote name='RealDeals']Really long shot, but if Alabama lost to Auburn, and then beat Georgia, they'd both be two loss. I can't see Florida being in the NCG over Oregon if they beat OSU if that happens.

EDIT: Also, FSU could beat Florida! My SEC hatred lives lol[/QUOTE]

auburn is legit the worst team in college football. Alabama can pick their score.

[quote name='blindinglights']BCS Rankings:

Stanford jumps Florida State, it's not easy being a prophet.[/QUOTE]
So I wonder how the computers will fuck us when we beat UF. Yes I said WHEN.

[quote name='lordopus99']So I wonder how the computers will fuck us when we beat UF. Yes I said WHEN.[/QUOTE]

One of the computers doesn't even rank FSU, yet the same one has Clemson at 20. Doesn't make much sense to me.

If Clemson and FSU both handle business next week, maybe the computers will start to give them a little more credit. Especially since Florida is ranked so highly by the computers.

Florida needed a blocked punt to beat Louisiana-Lafayette and Oregon loses to a now top 10 Stanford team because of ineptitude from their kicker, yet Florida is higher? Dat SEC bias...

EDIT: I'm shocked K-State is still top ten.

If Florida State beats Florida and wins the ACC title I think they will move into the top five. Obviously Notre Dame simply has to win to stay at the top. A one loss SEC champion will finish behind them if that's the case. If the Irish lose then a one loss SEC champ takes the top spot.

UMD approved the move to the Big Ten, per the breaking news graphic on ESPN TV. No article up yet.

Press conference at 2:30 on the Big Ten Network apparently per twitter posts from some reporters.

Edit: They just talked about it on ESPN. Was a unanimous vote to from UMD. Rutgers will follow suit and likely be announced tomorrow.

Also rumors that the Big 10 may also go after UNC and UVA, but just rumors at this point.

Will be interesting to see if this pressures the Big 12 and/or SEC to try and grab some teams like FSU, Clemson, VT, NC State, GT etc.

Seems like if the ACC wants to keep teams like FSU and Clemson happy when they were already annoyed at adding basketball schools like Pitt and Syracuse that just replacing UMD with UCONN wouldn't help much. They may need to get off their high horse about academics and grab someone like Lousiville who's solid in both sports to have any chance at saving the league.

Have to think the current BCS situation is even more case in point at FSU for the dangers of being in a shitty football conference. Have a bunch of 1 and even some 2 loss teams ahead of them. No guarantee they'd make a 4 team playoff if that started this year. Has to worry them going forward with strength of schedule stated to be a big part of what the selection committee will consider in picking the 4 teams.

Edit 2: ESPN article is up: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ns-accept-invitation-join-big-ten-sources-say

Edit 2: ESPN article updated. UMD (and presumably Rutgers) will play in the Big 10 starting in the 2014-15 academic year.

bread's done
Back