Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

Just a quick question: are you planning to change the "(X) friends recommended" to read "(X) friends reviewed" now that Valve has implemented the new review system? It's a trivial thing really, but if it isn't a big hassle it might be worth switching.

Just a quick question: are you planning to change the "(X) friends recommended" to read "(X) friends reviewed" now that Valve has implemented the new review system? It's a trivial thing really, but if it isn't a big hassle it might be worth switching.
Good call, that totally slipped my mind. Thanks for the suggestion!

Updated Enhanced Steam to 5.1.1

• Added support for homepage highlighting on the Autumn / Spring sale
  • Fixed a bug where some some strings weren't being translated properly
  • Fixed a bug where one option wasn't able to be checked or unchecked

Hey Jshackles, just letting you know your site seems to be down. I get this message on the firefox download page:

Error 522 Ray ID: d41d02dd9b8042a

Connection timed out

If you're the owner of this website:
Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not completing requests. An Error 522 means that the request was able to connect to your web server, but that the request didn't finish. The most likely cause is that something on your server is hogging resources.

Hey Jshackles, just letting you know your site seems to be down. I get this message on the firefox download page:

Error 522 Ray ID: d41d02dd9b8042a Connection timed out If you're the owner of this website: Contact your hosting provider letting them know your web server is not completing requests. An Error 522 means that the request was able to connect to your web server, but that the request didn't finish. The most likely cause is that something on your server is hogging resources.
Thanks. I've been monitoring it all morning and yeah... it's been under supremely heavy load. I'm working with my hosting company now to increase the capacity. Hopefully everything is working now, but expect outages / delays every morning at about 10am pacific. :)

There have been over 200,000 unique IP addresses hit the site since 9am, which is an Enhanced Steam record. Enhanced Steam was also mentioned again on Lifehacker this morning and it's been getting tons of traffic from here, Reddit, Slickdeals, NeoGAF, and a multitude of others.

Thanks everyone for your patience and for helping spread the word!

Thanks. I've been monitoring it all morning and yeah... it's been under supremely heavy load. I'm working with my hosting company now to increase the capacity. Hopefully everything is working now, but expect outages / delays every morning at about 10am pacific. :)

There have been over 200,000 unique IP addresses hit the site since 9am, which is an Enhanced Steam record. Enhanced Steam was also mentioned again on Lifehacker this morning and it's been getting tons of traffic from here, Reddit, Slickdeals, NeoGAF, and a multitude of others.

Thanks everyone for your patience and for helping spread the word!
Always a good thing to have too much traffic :) I was downloading on my work computer since the sale started, was able to get it from the FF addons page no problem.

Probably the Autumn Sale on Steam won't make it any easier on your server as Enhanced Steam becomes even more useful during such events.

So - working on new features despite the sale going on.  Here's the latest:

HNokl7f.png

Hey JShackles, what API call do you use to pull the total amount spent? Was playing around in the API docs but couldn't find anything that returned that info.

Hey JShackles, what API call do you use to pull the total amount spent? Was playing around in the API docs but couldn't find anything that returned that info.
The total spent is actually using a mapped jQuery function that adds the total manually from the account page.

Each tab along the top has a table that contains the transaction data. Enhanced Steam just adds these numbers up and displays them on the side.

The total spent is actually using a mapped jQuery function that adds the total manually from the account page.

Each tab along the top has a table that contains the transaction data. Enhanced Steam just adds these numbers up and displays them on the side.
Ah, damn, but that makes sense. I was hoping to be able to pull all purchases with price for individual games, but seems like that may be impossible (or at least difficult) since the account page only gives cart totals. So if you bought 10 games at once, it won't break it down to cost per game.

Right now I keep track of purchases manually in a spreadsheet, was hoping to automate and do some datamining/statistics stuff.

Enhanced Steam for Firefox has been updated to version 4.5.1

This version includes support for browsing Steam in Private Browsing Mode, as well as many new features which have been brought over from the Chrome version.

Your extension should update automatically the next time you restart Firefox or you can download it here.

As always, feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Bringing this to the app page:

bTQaZvX.png
Awesome! Along those same lines (figuratively) would it be possible to add check boxes and a "add checked DLC to cart"? Only, just dawned on me today when I was picking up some Pinball tables and wanted a several I didn't own, but not all I didn't own. Not sure if that would be in ES's capabilities. Either way, great feature to have.

@Jshackles - did you get the additional translated strings in my PM sent on Nov 27th?

I also mentioned an error ("Cards with drops remaining" view doesn't work in Polish but works in English) on the Badges page.

@Jshackles - did you get the additional translated strings in my PM sent on Nov 27th?

I also mentioned an error ("Cards with drops remaining" view doesn't work in Polish but works in English) on the Badges page.
Yeah I'm on it. We've had a lot of changes lately so the new translation didn't get rolled into 5.1 but they should be there in 5.2. I'm also still tracking down that bug. :)

So right now in Enhanced Steam we're working on bringing regional pricing information from the other stores. Here is a preview of what we have so far:

xvUvtL1.png

This pop up box will only show when you mouse over the price. It's similar to how popups work when you mouse over your friend's names.

Keep in mind, it's still a work in progress. The finished product will have the currencies converted to your local currency, and show the percentage increase/decrease. In the options you'll be able to select up to 5 countries that you want to compare prices for and the order in which they display.

I know a lot of you guys use similar scripts and I want Enhanced Steam to be as good as possible. So if anyone has any suggestions of things they'd like to see as part of this, or things you find frustrating about the region pricing scripts you already use, please let me know.

Great idea. Now I am using a separate script for this purpose, and possibility of disabling it seems great.

My suggestion would be to allow manual selection of the currency that prices will be converted to, not only your regional currency.

For example let's assume I would like to compare prices in a particular currency (say, X).

So the mouse-over popup would show:
EUR1: 9 EUR (18 X)
EUR2: 18 EUR (36 X)
US: 9 USD (14 X)
UK: 9 GBP (30 X)
RU:
CIS:
BR:

etc.

Some might like to see an option of reducing displayed regions only to a few of them, but if the window is not displayed permanently but only on mouse-over, I don't think it's important.

Great idea. Now I am using a separate script for this purpose, and possibility of disabling it seems great.

My suggestion would be to allow manual selection of the currency that prices will be converted to, not only your regional currency.

For example let's assume I would like to compare prices in a particular currency (say, X).

So the mouse-over popup would show:
EUR1: 9 EUR (18 X)
EUR2: 18 EUR (36 X)
US: 9 USD (14 X)
UK: 9 GBP (30 X)
RU:
CIS:
BR:

etc.

Some might like to see an option of reducing displayed regions only to a few of them, but if the window is not displayed permanently but only on mouse-over, I don't think it's important.
Enhanced Steam is taking a little bit of a different approach to it's regional price checking. Rather than dividing the pricing up into particular regions, we'll have a screen in the options where you can set which countries you would like to compare results for. So if you'd like you can set a single country, or multiple countries (not sure on the upper limit yet, maybe... 6?) and those country's prices will be converted and compared.

There could be an option added to let you set the currency you'd like it to convert to, but the conversion process will be limited to the currencies that the Steam store supports: USD, GBP, EUR, BRL, and RUB. By default it will convert it into the currency your store prices are listed in.

Also, we'll be adding an option that will let you choose to: show on mouseover (default), always show, or never show.

jshaQ, dunno if you've seen this thread on reddit (shudder): http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/1sfj4b/steam_store_feature_request/

I semi-randomly found it. Maybe another feature if feasible? Someone in that thread brought up the DRM warning you've got. I also saw someone complaining about having to repeatedly log in w/ ES.
Just to be fair, that comment regarding frequent log-ins was not directed to ES. The poster mentions that it's a Valve issue/bug, which is why they prefer the client over the browser and hence do not use ES.

Just to be fair, that comment regarding frequent log-ins was not directed to ES. The poster mentions that it's a Valve issue/bug, which is why they prefer the client over the browser and hence do not use ES.
Yeah, I was curious about that and wanted to know if J could explain why that guy has that problem when many others don't.

Yeah, I was curious about that and wanted to know if J could explain why that guy has that problem when many others don't.
I actually have that issue myself. It is typically on the community side of Steam, like is mentioned. At first I thought it was due to browser updates as I was using Aurora, but have since switched back to Chrome and I still find an inordinate amount of log-ins required. I can't put my finger on the cause because it seems to be random. I'll be good for a few days some times and on some days I'll have to log in multiple times. But, for clarifications sake, I had these issues before ES. I do currently have my internet connection running through my phone, so maybe the IP Steam's servers are seeing is hopping, but it's odd that it doesn't happen nearly as much on steampowered vs steamcommunity.

Edit: I just went to check an invite and steamcommunity asked me to log in (again), so I clicked community to see if it would remember my login and it still brought up the base community page (not logged in). So, I clicked login and it went to the community page like I was already logged in. This happens from time to time as well. I'm not versed enough in the programming side of things to understand why this weirdness happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Neuro5i5 says is true - the Steam Community site has a lot more rigorous checks in place for remembering user credentials. Nobody knows or will publicly state what these checks are (for security reasons) but I think it's fair to say that SteamGuard analyzes the traffic coming in to the site to verify certain aspects of your login such as your IP address among other factors.

The Steam client has a built in function that uses SteamGuard to re-authenticate this data automatically using the SteamGuard auth token that is stored on your computer. So it's inevitable that some people's usage patterns would trigger a re-authentication on the Steam Community side.

Why Steam Community and not the store pages? Steam Community is where at least 90% of the fraud is happening. Store pages are easy to protect - they're usually backed by banking institutions or at the very least a corporate to customer relationship. Fraudulent monetary transactions are dealt with on the store pages with extreme prejudice. 1st offense? Account cancellation.

The Steam Community pages host the marketplace and inventory/item systems on Steam. Not only is this now a big profit center for Valve, but it's also users interacting with other users. Suddenly Valve has to handle fraud cases on their own without being able to rely on banking institutions to have their back. Their answer? Make the community page much more secure and make damn sure whoever is logging into it is who they say they are.

Of course, it could also be a browser issue with cookies. A lot of people get paranoid and set their browsers to not accept cookies from any site or set their browser to always operate in private mode. They don't realize that doing so prevents sites from remembering who they are. They have the convenience of the Steam client which always logs them in automatically. When they have to enter their details (even every couple of days) on a website that they could normally access in another program without doing so, they complain.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I could be entirely off base, but I suspect I'm at least partially right.

So the next version of Enhanced Steam is almost ready for release. Here is an overview of the new regional price comparison feature:

MsmhYET.png

This is the default setting. You will see regional prices when you mouse over the price in the Steam store. Anywhere you can mouseover is indicated by a "world" icon.

sx4qOvs.png

In the settings (see below) you can choose to have it display always. If you do it looks like the above.

ileR5tG.png

This is the relevant part of the options screen. From here you can set display options (on mouseover, always, never) and select the countries you would like to compare to. The defaults are shown.

uqBRh4t.png

Here is the drop down for countries. You can customize up to 9 countries you would like to check prices against. The script will then find the Steam price of those games for that country code and (if they exist) display them (see screenshots 1 & 2). The order these are configured in the options screen will be the order they'll display on the page.

If anyone has any further ideas of how this could be improved or something you'd like to see, please let me know!

So the next version of Enhanced Steam is almost ready for release. Here is an overview of the new regional price comparison feature:

MsmhYET.png

This is the default setting. You will see regional prices when you mouse over the price in the Steam store. Anywhere you can mouseover is indicated by a "world" icon.

sx4qOvs.png

In the settings (see below) you can choose to have it display always. If you do it looks like the above.

ileR5tG.png

This is the relevant part of the options screen. From here you can set display options (on mouseover, always, never) and select the countries you would like to compare to. The defaults are shown.

uqBRh4t.png

Here is the drop down for countries. You can customize up to 9 countries you would like to check prices against. The script will then find the Steam price of those games for that country code and (if they exist) display them (see screenshots 1 & 2). The order these are configured in the options screen will be the order they'll display on the page.

If anyone has any further ideas of how this could be improved or something you'd like to see, please let me know!
that good i can soon to get rid of steam prpice comparion unpowered out of extension for chrome less exteenison

Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.2. Here is the full changelog:

• Added regional price comparison feature which is fully configurable in options
  • Added sale information to wishlist entries
  • Added "ADD UNOWNED DLC TO CART" button on app pages
  • Added "Buy Wishlist" section to wishlist pages
  • Fixed a bug where some inventory market links were not functioning correctly
  • Fixed a bug where some non-marketable inventory items were incorrectly trying to find market prices
As always, if anyone has any questions feel free to let me know.

Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.2. Here is the full changelog:

• Added regional price comparison feature which is fully configurable in options
  • Added sale information to wishlist entries
  • Added "ADD UNOWNED DLC TO CART" button on app pages
  • Added "Buy Wishlist" section to wishlist pages
  • Fixed a bug where some inventory market links were not functioning correctly
  • Fixed a bug where some non-marketable inventory items were incorrectly trying to find market prices
As always, if anyone has any questions feel free to let me know.
$975.43 my wishlist llol. regional price is to pain guess i keep using the steam unpoweered.

So this is weird. It seems my wishlist broke the "buy wishlist" box, as it shows up on other's list but not mine. Is there a size limit to how many games it will add together? It's not as if I'm crazy enough to buy my whole list at once, but I was mildly curious how much it would cost.

So this is weird. It seems my wishlist broke the "buy wishlist" box, as it shows up on other's list but not mine. Is there a size limit to how many games it will add together? It's not as if I'm crazy enough to buy my whole list at once, but I was mildly curious how much it would cost.
Well the box is only processed after each item on your wishlist is evaluated. I actually used yours when testing the feature - sorry I didn't write down the amount. But it did take about 3-4 minutes to actually show up due to the 500 or so games you have on there. :) I'd say load your wishlist page and grab a hot cup of tea. Then come back and try not to spit the tea out all over your monitor when you see the amount.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like it may be an issue with Valve's side of things and could just be temporary. I'm getting an error 500 (Internal Server Error) when that feature is executing on your profile.

Well the box is only processed after each item on your wishlist is evaluated. I actually used yours when testing the feature - sorry I didn't write down the amount. But it did take about 3-4 minutes to actually show up due to the 500 or so games you have on there. :) I'd say load your wishlist page and grab a hot cup of tea. Then come back and try not to spit the tea out all over your monitor when you see the amount.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like it may be an issue with Valve's side of things and could just be temporary. I'm getting an error 500 (Internal Server Error) when that feature is executing on your profile.
Ah, the old "go grab a bagel" waiting game. Thanks for the update, guess I will be a bit more patient next time ^_~

Some questions about the price comparison. This feature is an excellent addition and I would love to drop the plugin I am currently using (must be a modified version of steam unpowered, with some of my own tweaks):

1. Which price are the regional prices compared to? For example I checked the Serious Sam 3 BFE Gold prices, and what I got is like (the numbers are made up by me now):

EUR2: XXX EUR (+92%)
EUR1: XXX EUR (+14%)
US: XXX USD (+5%)
UK: XXX GBP (-5%)
RU: XXX RUB (-60%)
UA: XXX USD (-30%)

but what price is the "+/-0%" level? Which price is the "base price"?

2. Just choose one of EUR1 or EUR2 countries which use their own currencies instead of EUR instead of using EUR2 or EUR1 option. For example, select Poland instead of EUR2. Every time I reload the price I get the prices displayed in a different currency. I mean the comparative prices in brackets. Once it may be USD, another time it may be RUB, and then EUR. Just seems completely random. And it should be PLN instead.

Example of both issues:
[attachment=1564:screen.png]

And one more thing - I cannot find the "add unowned DLCs to cart" button or any way to enable it. Am I missing something?

Some questions about the price comparison. This feature is an excellent addition and I would love to drop the plugin I am currently using (must be a modified version of steam unpowered, with some of my own tweaks):

1. Which price are the regional prices compared to? For example I checked the Serious Sam 3 BFE Gold prices, and what I got is like (the numbers are made up by me now):

EUR2: XXX EUR (+92%)
EUR1: XXX EUR (+14%)
US: XXX USD (+5%)
UK: XXX GBP (-5%)
RU: XXX RUB (-60%)
UA: XXX USD (-30%)

but what price is the "+/-0%" level? Which price is the "base price"?

2. Just choose one of EUR1 or EUR2 countries which use their own currencies instead of EUR instead of using EUR2 or EUR1 option. For example, select Poland instead of EUR2. Every time I reload the price I get the prices displayed in a different currency. I mean the comparative prices in brackets. Once it may be USD, another time it may be RUB, and then EUR. Just seems completely random. And it should be PLN instead.

Example of both issues:
attachicon.gif
screen.png

And one more thing - I cannot find the "add unowned DLCs to cart" button or any way to enable it. Am I missing something?
1. The layout should be like this:

• Flag icon
  • Price in that region
  • That region's price converted to your Steam store's currency in parentheses
  • The percentage increase/decrease as compared to your Steam store's currency
Some users are reporting issues with the script not knowing or not being able to interpret what their Steam page's currency is, and it appears you're having this same issue. In the screenshot you provided it looks like Enhanced Steam incorrectly thought your store's currency was in Brazilian Reais.

2. In the options page of Enhanced Steam (under "Prices") you can select which countries you would like the script to compare prices for. You can change EUR1 or EUR2 to be Poland, for example. EUR1 and EUR2 being defaults have no bearing on which currency it's being converted to. If it's random it's because you are experiencing the bug mentioned above. Also at this time, the currencies can only be converted to currencies that are officially available on Steam (USD, GBP, BRL, RUB, and EUR).

3. Add Unowned DLC to cart button should display on pages where the following criteria are met:

• A game has DLC
  • You own at least one DLC for said game
  • You do not own at least one DLC for said game
These conditions aren't arbitrary, they're in place to reduce clutter and confusion. If you own every piece of DLC for a game, you don't want the button to appear because you already own everything. If you don't own any DLC, the button would be identical to the "Add all to cart" button that is already available. Here is an example:

btNgv81.png

OK, I have the unowned DLC button now, maybe it was a cache issue. Thanks

Still there's a problem with the price difference percentage. See the SS3 BFE example here:

[attachment=1568:SCREEN.png]

My region is EUR2, which is also chosen as the primary region for the comparison. You can see how the price matches the one on steam.

But the prices are compared in USD (see the comparative prices) and the EUR2 price is marked as "3.83% lower", which obviously shows that the US price was used as the default one (it is also marked as 0% difference) and which is confirmed by the currency. So previously it was Brasilian Reals, now it's US dollars...

So not having prices in my own currency is just a minor thing to me, having comparison done in a random currency, and having a random region used as the default one seems like a more serious thing to me, as it makes comparing much less intuitive.

Still I think you're on the way of making an already great expansion even better, and I only regret I cannot help too much in the development.

Thanks for all the work!

OK, I have the unowned DLC button now, maybe it was a cache issue. Thanks

Still there's a problem with the price difference percentage. See the SS3 BFE example here:

attachicon.gif
SCREEN.png

My region is EUR2, which is also chosen as the primary region for the comparison. You can see how the price matches the one on steam.

But the prices are compared in USD (see the comparative prices) and the EUR2 price is marked as "3.83% lower", which obviously shows that the US price was used as the default one (it is also marked as 0% difference) and which is confirmed by the currency. So previously it was Brasilian Reals, now it's US dollars...

So not having prices in my own currency is just a minor thing to me, having comparison done in a random currency, and having a random region used as the default one seems like a more serious thing to me, as it makes comparing much less intuitive.

Still I think you're on the way of making an already great expansion even better, and I only regret I cannot help too much in the development.

Thanks for all the work!
Sorry you're having problems - most people aren't having this issue, just some. For most people, the conversion is taking place by correctly converting the prices to your store's local currency. Hopefully I can get this bug identified and resolved before the next version. Thanks for your patience!

Just wanted to say I don't want to sound as if I am ranting. I am more than grateful for all the great job you've done, but hope that at least some of the bugs I manage to find and report help you in debugging. At least this is what I can do.

I've had similar issues with one expansion before and it seems as if the speed of checking prices from particular regions might have something to do with it. Like if the last price acquired is from the US region, the comparative prices (and region) are also the US ones. But that's nothing sure if this is the case with Enhanced Steam. Will also check the windows version as I've only seen the new feature on a linux machine.

Hahaha, I sure I'm slow on this, but I just realized "Current Players" on a game's store page is an ES feature not a BS* feature.  It fits in so perfectly and is exactly the sort of thing Valve should be doing.

*Base Steam.

Hahaha, I sure I'm slow on this, but I just realized "Current Players" on a game's store page is an ES feature not a BS* feature. It fits in so perfectly and is exactly the sort of thing Valve should be doing.

*Base Steam.
Thanks! That's actually exactly the kind of thing I love to hear. I don't want Enhanced Steam to turn into anything that people would consider invasive.

jshackles said:
Thanks! That's actually exactly the kind of thing I love to hear. I don't want Enhanced Steam to turn into anything that people would consider invasive.
I wish this would work on the Steam client, any news on your petition yet?

So this has kind of been an ongoing thing I've noticed but I guess the snow globes just reminded me of it.

For some reason the Valve promotional trading cards, emoticons and backgrounds don't seem "Lowest Price for:" in the inventory screen correctly. Everything else works fine for me and loads the current lowest price after a few seconds, but all the Valve stuff (summer postcards, snow globes, summer getaway emoticon etc) all just have "loading" with the spinning wheel sit there indefinitely.

bread's done
Back