PlayStation Move - Launching September 19, 2010 (US)

OK so I went to GeStapo today after work, was going to look to see if they had a copy of HVB, or Brunswich Pro Bowling, but they didn't have either in.. Said they might get some in by Friday..
Anyway, has anyone heard any reviews at all on Brunswick Pro Bowling? Wondering if it's better than HVB for Move support (I read a couple of posts on the HVB forums on playstation.com and they said the Sixaxis controls were much better).

Also, anyone played any of the Rapala Pro Bass Fishing games? I'm wondering why they have this bundle with the fishing controller, when you can just use the Move
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78247

[quote name='Sinistar']OK so I went to GeStapo today after work, was going to look to see if they had a copy of HVB, or Brunswich Pro Bowling, but they didn't have either in.. Said they might get some in by Friday..
Anyway, has anyone heard any reviews at all on Brunswick Pro Bowling? Wondering if it's better than HVB for Move support (I read a couple of posts on the HVB forums on playstation.com and they said the Sixaxis controls were much better).

Also, anyone played any of the Rapala Pro Bass Fishing games? I'm wondering why they have this bundle with the fishing controller, when you can just use the Move
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78247[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion here, but I can't imagine the Brunswick game will be any good. Every single one they released on the Wii has been absolute shit.

For me personally, I loved HVB before they added Move support. It's actually cheaper to buy HVB and all the content from the PSN store than it is to buy it on disc (by about $4).

I'm still on the fence about move. I've got the cam already, but I keep it off to the side of my TV. I also have a pretty low light situation.

Anyone having problems with the Beat Sketcher demo?
It loads fine for ee but then the calibration screen comes up and says to be at least 1.5 M away (~4 feet) and pres O.. Well It's not letting me get past that screen.. I've tried different lighting (day & night)), didn't seem to make a difference..

Downloaded the move patch for HVB today. Can anyone tell me how to navigate with the dualshock, but use the move at the same time? I'm able to bowl with Move, but I can't use the dualshock in any of the menus...

Edit: Where is Beat Sketcher? Is this in the PSN Store?

Is there anyway to change the color of your move orb? Or play around with the colors without having to play a move game? I just want to look at the pretty light.

[quote name='nbballard']^change your controller to port 7.[/QUOTE]

lol you'd think they'd mention that you need to switch to controller port 7 in the tutorial..Thanks I'll try it tomorrow.. I was @ my friends house tonight and tried the demo on his machine and it played just fine, though I didn't check what controller port he was using.

Also he bought Brunswick Pro Bowling, we played a few rounds, decent & move support, but sometimes it didnt throw very hard, and the ball went down the lane only a few MPH. Spin support was pretty good, though.
It also looks like you can bowl a-la HVB with six axis controls, but we didn't try it.
Apparently the online play, you can play 4 players, but no one was playing when we tried so we just played local.

[quote name='Sinistar']lol you'd think they'd mention that you need to switch to controller port 7 in the tutorial..Thanks I'll try it tomorrow.. I was @ my friends house tonight and tried the demo on his machine and it played just fine, though I didn't check what controller port he was using.

Also he bought Brunswick Pro Bowling, we played a few rounds, decent & move support, but sometimes it didnt throw very hard, and the ball went down the lane only a few MPH. Spin support was pretty good, though.
It also looks like you can bowl a-la HVB with six axis controls, but we didn't try it.
Apparently the online play, you can play 4 players, but no one was playing when we tried so we just played local.[/QUOTE]
Just bad programming on a demo I think. I had the same problem and had to look it up. I wonder if there is a common theme.

If i had to guess- you have a bluray TV remote, and it's coded to slot 7.

does anyone know if the Move controllers will charge with the official Sony AC Adapter that supports two of the USB plugs..so hard to tell these days. It would be nice if it worked like that b/c I never charge thru the console and don't want that dock..

Also, I've realized that I'm going to get the bundle, and instead of peddling my extra Eye Camera away to GameStop, I might keep one each in a different position (like I've heard for some games, it needs to be hip level, others head level) and just keep one unplugged until I switched to that type of game.

I'm not cetain of that. However, it's a mini-usb connector so I imagine you can use just about anything that supports USB charging. I know the first set I charged, I used my computer since it's always on.

nice, thanks guys, I've got $40 in credit going into this and am super excited to get it during lunch time. Going to pick up one other title, maybe EyePet for the kid, but I'm glad I already have TS3 (which I got the patch for last night) and Heavy Rain. Will definitely check out some PSN stuff too.

Played some more of Tumble and I'm liking it a lot. I've only gotten through the first two zones though, so that could change depending on how hard it gets. I'm not a fan of the lack of descriptions on the bonus medals, as I have no idea what some require to be done and have gotten one by accident just by putting a few blocks with part of a picture together in order.

I really like how they handled the Move demo disc, as being able to install demos straight to the hard drive is a nice way to avoid needing to download them from the stores. It has a few I didn't see in the PS Stores (Time Crisis, Tiger Woods 11, echochrome 2) and others that are in the stores, but not everything (Heavy Rain, Racquet Sports) that's out there.

I liked the EyePet and Time Crisis demos so far, though that's all I've played of the demos.

Edit: Played the Racquet Sports demo, which seemed like a Wii port in its visuals and presentation even though they say it's a Move exclusive. It controls okay (kind of has 1:1 motion everywhere but when you need to swing the racket), but I didn't have fun with Badminton and had a weird glitch that caused the server in Tennis to float in the air on the island court. This kind of makes me want a Hot Shots Tennis game on the PS3 with Move/Dual Shock support.

Edit 2: Tried out the Start the Party demo and it's very cool from a tech stance. I'm just hoping that somebody can make a more interesting game out of this idea. Otherwise, it seems like an extension of the previous EyeToy games with a better way to interact with the stuff on screen.

Edit 3: The TV Superstars demo was interesting, though I could tell right away that it was made for the camera to be placed above the TV with the way they handle character creation. You have to get really close, so my Eye being below the TV meant that I need to get on the ground about two feet away and straining my eyes to make sure I was within the space provided. The two shows they include are an odd fashion model show where you move the control around in specific motions as they appear on the screen, which is hard to do when you have no point of reference for the types of motions and the speed they want you to move the controller around. The other show they had was a much more interesting sports show that was kind of like Nickelodeon Guts with a challenge to run on a wheel as you tried to jump over the swinging arms of a monkey bot and a slingshot game where you positioned the body to match the position on the targets you're launching yourself at. This demo made me hope that there's a Nickelodeon Guts-focused show, maybe with some Double Dare/Buzz-style quiz show aspects to add more content to it.

Edit 4: The Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 demo was pretty cool, though this definitely requires a bit of practice before you really get good at the Move controls. I didn't do too well on the three holes, though I could see myself getting better. The lack of Move support for the menus is disappointing, though I don't know if that's just for the demo or the full game, as well. I also learned from this demo that you can buy the full game for $59.99 through PSN.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nbballard']Just bad programming on a demo I think. I had the same problem and had to look it up. I wonder if there is a common theme.

If i had to guess- you have a bluray TV remote, and it's coded to slot 7.[/QUOTE]

Hey nbballard yeah that trick worked (changing controller slot) thanks. I have a BR Remote as well. Its odd that it let me start the game via the menu when the controller but you cant play from the controller unless its in the one slot lol.
The demo is weird though.. I haven't really figured it out, it only lets you draw on screen to the music, or am I missing something else? :)

[quote name='Sinistar']Hey nbballard yeah that trick worked (changing controller slot) thanks. I have a BR Remote as well. Its odd that it let me start the game via the menu when the controller but you cant play from the controller unless its in the one slot lol.
The demo is weird though.. I haven't really figured it out, it only lets you draw on screen to the music, or am I missing something else? :)[/QUOTE]

There is a menu they don't really show you that will give you all of the colors, brushes, and sounds. You can basically do whatever you want. It's just fun to sketch onto the photo- but from what I can tell the speed, size and placement of your stroke determines the sound that comes out.

You can get pretty elaborate with it if you want.

If anyone wants to play some High Velocity Bowling hit me up with a PM or something. I just got it yesterday and should be on tonight once I get some practice in.

Is HVB online enabled? It's a shame that the games included in the bundle can't be played online.
I had a chance to try this thing out this weekend, a friend of mine bought it. This shit is fun!

Is Sports Champions worth it? I want the move, but I don't know if I just want to buy the stuff separately so I can play Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition.

I don't know if this should go in the Heavy Rain thread or here but this is probably a move type question. Please no spoilers!

in the scene "Welcome Norman" when you're in withdrawal, I'm trying not to take the tripto but I can't seem to figure out how to get past the QuickTime event when I step out of the office. The button looks like the triangle but it doesn't seem to work. Is my timing off or am I missing something?

[quote name='KillerRamen']Is Sports Champions worth it? I want the move, but I don't know if I just want to buy the stuff separately so I can play Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's worth it in the long run.

That's coming from someone who was not a fan of motion gaming at all and was not looking forward to the Move (ended up getting it because my brother really wanted it.) Great fun with friends.

I had tested on Playstation Move from the Gamestop and it was not bad at all. It is almost like a same thing to Wii Nintendo's motion controller. I will wait patiently for Playstation Move's price down.

[quote name='torifile']Just an update on the precision of the Move: I suck at shooters. I really do. I love playing them but I'm just awful at aiming with a controller. I finished chapter 2-1 on RE5 tonight. I got S rankings on both accuracy and enemies routed. It's that good.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm just getting old and/or too impatient, but I got really frustrated with RE5 . I was really looking forward to trying it with the Move controller, and I made a special trip to BB to pick this game up. Unfortunately, when that first onslaught of zombies started I died way too quick, and more than once... bastards! lol.

I'm hoping I'll get used to it, it certainly sounds like you did, so I guess I'm a little more optimistic after reading your posts in this thread. Thanks for that:cool:.

[quote name='commanderxp90']I had tested on Playstation Move from the Gamestop and it was not bad at all. It is almost like a same thing to Wii Nintendo's motion controller. I will wait patiently for Playstation Move's price down.[/QUOTE]

It is honestly a insult to the move to say its like the wii. The wii cannot do true 1:1 tracking in 3-d space, and never will. If you've played wii games extensively like i have, you'll know that the move is 2 generations ahead of anything the wii offers.

[quote name='blitz6speed']It is honestly a insult to the move to say its like the wii. The wii cannot do true 1:1 tracking in 3-d space, and never will. If you've played wii games extensively like i have, you'll know that the move is 2 generations ahead of anything the wii offers.[/QUOTE]

Im curious, but have you used the Wii Motion Plus? As a Move owner, I agree that the Move is superior (due in part to the camera being able to sense depth and adjust to angels better)... but the Wii Motion Plus is a good technology too.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Im curious, but have you used the Wii Motion Plus? As a Move owner, I agree that the Move is superior (due in part to the camera being able to sense depth and adjust to angels better)... but the Wii Motion Plus is a good technology too.[/QUOTE]

I have every major accessory for the wii, so yes, i got the Motion Plus and WSR at launch. I was insanely excited to get it, till i tried it. Its accurate till you do a few gestures, then it sways and needs to be calibrated mid-game over and over repeatedly. It killed my experience immediately. This is because it cannot be tracked in 3-d space, and will lose its position just after a minute or two. It was a band-aid and it shows. Once you do your initial calibration with the move, you're good to go.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Hey does anyone know if the sly cooper collection move enabled ?[/QUOTE]

It has Move support, but I think it's just for the new Move mini games.
http://www.amazon.com/Sly-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B003O680RM/

[quote name='Frank Deluded']Yeah, it's worth it in the long run.

That's coming from someone who was not a fan of motion gaming at all and was not looking forward to the Move (ended up getting it because my brother really wanted it.) Great fun with friends.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I ended up ordering the Sports Champions Bundle. I had played Sports Champions at Best Buy, but I wasn't really sure if I wanted to own it or not. (I tend to get bored with mini game collections fairly quickly)

Anyways, I can't wait to play Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition. That and the Heavy Rain Move Demo.

[quote name='KillerRamen']It has Move support, but I think it's just for the new Move mini games.
http://www.amazon.com/Sly-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B003O680RM/

Thanks, I ended up ordering the Sports Champions Bundle. I had played Sports Champions at Best Buy, but I wasn't really sure if I wanted to own it or not. (I tend to get bored with mini game collections fairly quickly)

Anyways, I can't wait to play Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition. That and the Heavy Rain Move Demo.[/QUOTE]

Outside of Volleyball for Sports Champions, I feel they are so complex (with the learning curve and 3-D motion [depth movement]) that I really don't think of them as mini-games. I still haven't tried Volleyball. After playing SC for a couple of days now.

[quote name='Zoglog']I demand to see more beat sketcher creations[/QUOTE]

I might whip something up. =/

[quote name='Frank Deluded']Outside of Volleyball for Sports Champions, I feel they are so complex (with the learning curve and 3-D motion [depth movement]) that I really don't think of them as mini-games. I still haven't tried Volleyball. After playing SC for a couple of days now.

I might whip something up. =/[/QUOTE]
Volley Ball was the most complex game in the lot to me.

My only complaint so far is how damn bright that sphere is on the Move controller. Aside from that, MUCH better tracking/accuracy than the Wii. Really hoping some good games take advantage of this.

^Yea. There have been some moments where I feel like they are going to trigger a migraine or a seizure. Archery is the prime suspect here.

I know someone asked about Time Crisis and I'm not sure if anyone answered, but I just played the demo. To fire you lower your shield by pressing the Move button and you shoot with the trigger button. To reload you let go of the Move button which also raises your shield.

...The problem I had with the demo is that it was just really short... Hopefully my Nav controller charges up soon because I want to play some Resident Evil 5! :bouncy:

How are people playing Beat Sketcher?!

EDIT: Maybe I was not clear- but I already own a Playstation Move... and I do nto see anything related to Beat Sketcher on the PSN.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='flameofdoom666']Huh?[/QUOTE]
Oh- i thought we were talking about a glitch with the demo.

You can get it on the "start the party" disc, or Sports Champions.

I'm fence sitting on this one. I want to trade in my copy of the new Metroid game at GS in order to get the bonus, but I'm not totally sold on whether or not this is really worth it. Anything on the horizon that would make the Move worth the expense?

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I'm fence sitting on this one. I want to trade in my copy of the new Metroid game at GS in order to get the bonus, but I'm not totally sold on whether or not this is really worth it. Anything on the horizon that would make the Move worth the expense?[/QUOTE]

My local Best Buy has a couple of Move Displays, so you could go to yours and see if they have one you can play with. I'm really digging Sports Champions and Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition so far. I'm also looking forward to Singstar Dance, Heavy Rain and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Ok. I normally hate motion controls. Really. I camped out to get the Wii. I tried to like it. I just couldn't like it. The controls felt awful and tacked on. I never really felt immersed in the experience. Instead, I always felt like I had to try to control the game and deal with the stupid sensor bar losing my controller.

The Move, OTOH, is fantastic. I just got done playing some Heavy Rain for an hour or so. I had to stop because I was *too* wrapped up in it. I'm not far in the game but the action scenes are just awesome with the move. There is a little bit of wonkiness when trying to manipulate objects in the world, but I don't think that they are any more pronounced than they would be with a controller (I don't know how the game plays with the DS3). The precision of the controller and the way that it can sense depth and speed of movement makes it brilliant.

It works really well. If you're on the fence, don't be. I am very happy with it.

[quote name='torifile']Ok. I normally hate motion controls. Really. I camped out to get the Wii. I tried to like it. I just couldn't like it. The controls felt awful and tacked on. I never really felt immersed in the experience. Instead, I always felt like I had to try to control the game and deal with the stupid sensor bar losing my controller.

The Move, OTOH, is fantastic. I just got done playing some Heavy Rain for an hour or so. I had to stop because I was *too* wrapped up in it. I'm not far in the game but the action scenes are just awesome with the move. There is a little bit of wonkiness when trying to manipulate objects in the world, but I don't think that they are any more pronounced than they would be with a controller (I don't know how the game plays with the DS3). The precision of the controller and the way that it can sense depth and speed of movement makes it brilliant.

It works really well. If you're on the fence, don't be. I am very happy with it.[/QUOTE]

Thats how a lot of us felt. We saw the commercials of the wii with people doing 1:1 gestures and Nintendo never saying anything that its just waggle and no accurate tracking what-so-ever, so you get home and then after a few hours, realize you can put the wiimote on your foot and win games just waving your foot around. It was a sad state of affairs for the hardcore who were duped by nintendo.

Move is what motion controls should have been day 1. True 1:1 tracking in 3-d space and the camera keeps the motion controller calibrated the entire time. Its really motion control for grown ups.

Do the full versions of Heavy Rain and Tiger Woods 11 require a DS3 to navigate the menus before you can use the Move or can they make the switch to Move control right away? Those were the two weird demos out of the bunch I've played, so I'm wondering if that's just the demo or not.

You can use the Move to navigate the entire system like you would with a DS3. You don't need a DS3 at all for Heavy Rain, at least. Can't say for TW11.

[quote name='torifile']You can use the Move to navigate the entire system like you would with a DS3. You don't need a DS3 at all for Heavy Rain, at least. Can't say for TW11.[/QUOTE]

If you don't have a navigation controller you'll still need to use a ds3 for gameplay in Heavy Rain. This means you'll have to use the move controller right handed because it's awkward trying to use your right hand to control the left side of the dual shock.
That was my only worry with using a ds3 with the move. That they wouldn't take into account lefties like me that would need to use the right side of the controller instead of the left.
Heavy rain has a left/right handed option but I didn't notice any difference with either one.

bread's done
Back