Punch Out Wii - General Discussion and Info

So what, do I already know all the patterns for these guys or did they change it up.
The original still looks better and will probably play twice as good. I hope they make some new punchouts and I hope they are on the DS. If this is just a remake it is not worth 50, because it won't even play as good as the 5 dollar original.

If this is a remake I'm not paying full price for it. I hope they add some new characters or at least give the old ones some new moves. They also better include a time trial mode which was 1/2 the fun of Super Punch-Out!!

People from 1up and IGN both said that they saw some Super Punch Out boxers. So it's definetly not just a remake of the first game.

yeah but it will still suck if it's only a combination of existing boxers. Everyone knows you have to stand up to Bald Bull's bull charge!

[quote name='javeryh']yeah but it will still suck if it's only a combination of existing boxers. Everyone knows you have to stand up to Bald Bull's bull charge![/QUOTE]

How does that differ from playing the original Punch Out right now? :cool:

We don't have enough information about the game. But if it is just a port i'd say $30. As long as it has Motion Plus control. Without that $20.

The new over the top stuff like the Cocunuts flying, and Croissants flying with King Hippo and Glass Joe got me enough that I got to play this.

[quote name='foltzie']Make that $45.[/quote]
Prices are higher in Canada.

EDIT: And of course, we know nothing about the game aside from the fact that the basic gameplay looks the same. We know nothing about, say, multiplayer.

[quote name='The Crotch']Prices are higher in Canada.

EDIT: And of course, we know nothing about the game aside from the fact that the basic gameplay looks the same. We know nothing about, say, multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I meant $5 for the VC game which you can have now, versus the $50ish the game will be.

[quote name='The Crotch']
EDIT: And of course, we know nothing about the game aside from the fact that the basic gameplay looks the same. We know nothing about, say, multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Get your logic the hell out of my thread. I don't know where it's been.

[quote name='foltzie']I meant $5 for the VC game which you can have now, versus the $50ish the game will be.[/quote]
Except, as I said, the game won't be just $50 up here. All game prices are higher here. Except VC stuff, I think.

[quote name='xcopy']Looks like sh1t, sorta like a flash game.[/QUOTE]

An interesting proposition. Time to show me a flash game with animation half as good.

[quote name='Strell']An interesting proposition. Time to show me a flash game with animation half as good.[/quote]

I was referring towards the graphics itself. I'll be more specific next time.

[quote name='Strell']Even better.

Show me.[/quote]

This is what it reminds me of.

http://sess.net/flash_games.php?proj_id=262&action=play

Mind you, I've been an arcade gamer and owner for the past decade. I recently got into home consoles lately, and I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything when it comes to judging a game, but come on man. I don't think it's that impressive. Take a look at Cruis'n Wii for example. It just wasn't meant to be.

That's not comparable at all.

Cruis'N. Ugh. Yes. That game was horrid, and looked like an N64 game, and I agree completely. But even that isn't comparable to Punch-Out.

I'm just saying the exaggeration is exaggeration.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']People sure a quick to judge a game they've barely seen, hardly know any details about, and have never played.[/QUOTE]

And?

when i saw that trailer, i was so awed by it. i couldn't believe nintendo has a developer that made something like this visually. the use of the visual type works for this game.

the one aspect of graphics that has gone quite ridiculous on the ps3/360 is on sports games. i noticed that some reviews have commented on the details of the crowds inside the stadium. for instance, on ign pes2008 [i believe it's this review]. the guy wishes the crowds looked a bit better and these comments are also visible in football games as well. the point is, the focus is on the field, not the audience. you see it in this game trailer, the crowds are mere shadows and the main focus is on the ring.

[quote name='Strell']
Totally stolen from GoNintendo. Check out 1:45.[/QUOTE]
I just barely heard it. More notable is the announcer's claim, a few moments after 1:45, that the audience had witnessed "an above-average fisting session." If only, buddy...

I’m working on that game as a producer. I think people who are fans of the original will be very thrilled to see the kind of style we’ve designed the game in. It will feel very classic. But at the same time, with the 3D polygons and the polygonal rendering of the characters, I think is going to make for some very nice cut-scenes and a little bit deeper story. - Miyamoto

Full piece here

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally watched that video in the 1st post, and I have to say, I was seriously impressed. This looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully, you can fight EVERYONE in the PO series, and not just the guys from the first game. But if not, then I guess I won't be too disappointed.

Punch Out brings me as much excitement as Smash Bros. did last year. I'm definitely picking this up and I seriously hope they allow usage of the Gamecube or Classic Controller instead of the motion.

Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up. Please don't mess this up.

[quote name='foltzie']The folks at Starmen.net would like to tell you to fuck -off.[/quote]
okay? lol:lol:

Oh I can't wait, I didn't really like the original but doing some of the moves with the motions of the Wiimote makes it more intuitive and fun in my eyes. I liked Wii Sports Boxing so I'm sure I will like this.

GameStop.com has a listing for May 18th, so I hope that date is true!

May 18th was confirmed by Nintendo, and I guess this is the box art:
51RBEy74-RL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

[quote name='FallMoon']That box-art looks sort of generic. Like, not bad, but nothing special![/QUOTE]

Looks better than the box-arts for the past Punch-out games.

MTPO
POFMD
SPO

IGN has posted two control schemes:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/958/958936p1.html

Nintendo of America officially revealed this week that the upcoming Wii boxer, Punch-Out!!, based on the classic franchise of the same name, will support multiple control options when it debuts exclusively for the platform later this year. According to the company, players will be able to use the Wii remote motion or classic control to play the game. Control descriptions below:

Motion Control (Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers)
Punch-Out!! uses the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers to simulate throwing punches. Use the Nunchuk to throw a left punch and the Wii Remote to throw a right punch.

Classic Control (Wii Remote NES style)
Fans of the NES version and core gamers will be excited to see Nintendo has also included the option to play Punch-Out!! using the classic layout from the original NES controller. Use the 1 and 2 buttons along with the cross pad to throw hooks and jabs or to dodge.

As it turns out, the IGN article came from a Press sheet that Nintendo sent out, with some interesting info.
http://gonintendo.com/?p=74504

KEY INFORMATION
One of the biggest names in boxing returns after a 15-year hiatus. Grab a Wii Remote™ controller in one hand and a Nunchuk™ controller in the other and step back into the ring with a modern update of the classic Punch-Out!!

* Little Mac is back! Everyone’s favorite underdog from the 1980s joins the best of the original Punch-Out!! cast in a modern re-imagination of the series. Players will find familiar names like Glass Joe, King Hippo and trainer Doc Louis. These boxers come to life again in cel-shaded 3-D, complete with hilarious fighting animations and back stories that capture all the fun and flair of the original Punch-Out!! games.

* The motion-sensitive controls of the Wii console mean that when players throw punches, Little Mac throws punches as well. Additionally, you can control hooks and jabs by combining motion control with control-stick movement. The motion-sensing Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers turn real-life swings into on-screen punches, so anyone can play. The game can also be played with classic NES-style controls by turning the Wii Remote sideways.

o2

Characters: Little Mac, Glass Joe, King Hippo, Doc Louis, Von Kaiser and other unannounced favorites.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Players can obtain special “Star Punches,” which allow Little Mac to take more Health from his rival in a single punch.

Control options:

* Motion Control (Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers)
Punch-Out!! uses the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers to simulate throwing punches. Use the Nunchuk to throw a left punch and the Wii Remote to throw a right punch.

* Classic Control (Wii Remote NES™ style)
Fans of the NES version and core gamers will be excited to see Nintendo has also included the option to play Punch-Out!! using the classic layout from the original NES controller. Use the 1 and 2 buttons along with the cross pad to throw hooks and jabs or to dodge.

Interesting information:
- SWEET! DOC IS BACK!!!!
- It sounds like the motion controls are primarily for punching, while dodging, ducking, and/or punch modifiers will be relegated to the control stick. Might work out pretty well, since Wii Sports Boxing had to constantly decide whether you were punching, using a hook/uppercut, or dodging.

Canceled my Devil Summoner 2 for this. I never played Super Punch Out but Punch Out was probably my fourth favorite NES title behind Star Tropics and Megaman 2 and of course SMB3

New Press releases! explains the motion control system (Sounds interesting), reveals that there will be vs. multiplayer, confirms Don Flamenco's appearance, and says that there will be a total of 13 boxers (6 have been revealed/hinted so far):
Punch-Out!!
Category: Boxing
Age rating: 7+
Players: 1-2
Publisher: Nintendo
Release date: 22/05/2009

The legendary Punch-Out!! is back with a vengeance on Wii, but this time it packs an even bigger punch! Featuring all of the well-known characters from Glass Joe to Von Kaiser, superb duck and weave action, and the addition of enhanced functionality for Wii, the game returns for another assault on Europe on 22 May 2009.

After a flawless fight record on the NES and Super NES, Punch-Out!! revives the story of Little Mac as you follow his journey from up-and-coming boxer in the Bronx, NY to undisputed World champion. The game reunites the much-loved mean men of the World Video Boxing Association, who Little Mac must challenge and defeat one-by-one. The truly international line-up of characters includes all the wacky favourites from Von Kaiser, to King Hippo and tireless trainer Doc Louis.

The game brings the tactics and skills of boxing to Wii as you spot weaknesses in your opponent’s armoury – such as changes in their body position – and exploit them with your best upper cuts, hooks and jabs. However, this time the game packs even more power with bold new 3D graphics and the introduction of the motion sensing controls of the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to give a more instinctive boxing experience as you weave, bob and duck your way to the top!

Punch-Out!! on Wii offers great new control opportunities, utilising both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to let you mimic the movements of the left and right hands as you let the leather fly. Meanwhile, the “classic” control system, invites you to use the Wii Remote in a sideways position to simulate the original NES controller and gives the real retro fight feel that Punch-Out!! fans love.

Punch-Out!! Will certainly bring the thrills of the big ring to Wii and will give you the chance to experience fight night in the comfort of your own living room. It’s seconds out and time for round one!

——————————

Get your gloves on and return to the ring – Punch-Out!! is making a comeback! Originally a hit on the Nintendo Entertainment System back when boxers still fought for 15 rounds, the newest installment in the series comes out swinging on Wii.

An intuitive control scheme takes you closer to the action in the ring than ever before! Unleash hooks, uppercuts and Star Punches by swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, or flip your controller sideways to enjoy the classic NES control scheme.

As big-hearted Bronx brawler Little Mac, you’ll have to launch a one-man assault on the boxing world as you bid to become undisputed champ of the Minor, Major and World ranking organisations. Along the way you’ll lock horns with the likes of Glass Joe, Don Flamenco and the hard-hitting King Hippo. A total of 13 flamboyant fighters stand in your path, every one with a creative new way of trying to make sure you end up face-down on the canvas.

Thankfully, Little Mac can fight back. Armed with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, punching is a simple case of taking a swing at your opponent whilst holding different combinations of buttons. Soften them up with jabs by pressing up on the Nunchuk Control Stick when you punch, or crash home a super-charged Star Punch by holding the C or A Buttons as you let your hands go.

Of course, if you intend to master the sweet science you’ll have to learn how to hit and not get hit. Punch-Out!! calls on you to keep a close eye on your opponents and learn their attack patterns – hopefully leaving them swiping at fresh air and open to a crashing counter. If it all sounds like a lot to remember when the leather starts flying, you’ll be glad to know the game features a helpful tutorial mode to make sure you get to grips with the basics before you climb through the ropes.

Ultimately, you’ll no doubt want to make sure you’re rightfully recognised as the pound-for-pound king of the ring. Punch-Out!! includes a multiplayer mode that lets you and a friend slug it out to the bitter end. As in the single player mode, you’ll want to land punches at the right moment to build up Star Punch points that translate into almighty haymakers! Landing and dodging blows in Head-to-Head mode also builds up a Giga Mac gauge. Once full, your fighter is ready to inflict some serious damage.

Have you always thought you could have been a contender? Then get ready to rumble in the all-action Punch Out!! for Wii.

* Fight it out in Career and Exhibition modes or challenge a friend in Head-to-Head mode.
* Play using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk for a hard-hitting and immersive experience!
* Go retro by holding the Wii Remote sideways like a NES controller and pounding home punches with a simple press of the 1 and 2 Buttons.

[quote name='The Crotch']Little Mac was not in Super Punch-Out.[/QUOTE]

I think they're referring to the Punch-out series in that sentence, not Little Mac.

Also, I didn't realize that Amazon already has some character art up:

Doc Louis, as played by...
The returning Carl Winslow
41H6FphjxaL._AA280_.jpg

And introducing the new ref...

bread's done
Back