Punch Out Wii - General Discussion and Info

It just keeps getting better.

About the only thing they need to do yet is get Super Punch Out back in business as an unlockable or a day/date VC.

IGN said this in their last live-blog entry:
"And by the way, Super Punch-Out!! is on the VC this Monday."
But, I don't know whether they received confirmation that Super Punch-Out is coming to the VC next Monday, or if they are just talking about the European release.

GameTrailers put up two three four gameplay videos:

IGN also put up a positive preview.

They mention one of Doc's advice lines:
The characters lip sync all their dialogue, of which there's a ton of well-acted sound bites. Doc Louis is incredibly charming as your ringside coach and offers the same level of advice, both useful and useless, all voice acted. He even hilariously asks you to join the Nintendo Fun Club before correcting himself, advertising Club Nintendo instead.

EDIT: I don't want to bother with bumping this unless there is some major news, but GamePro Germany interviewed one of the designers:
http://nintendodpad.com/+/Dpad_|_Ne...nlockables,_Wii_disc_space_was_a_problem.html

Kensuke Tanabe, Producer of Punch-Out!!, sheds some light on the possibilities of extras in the game and why some had to get cut.
“There is a lot to unlock! There are for example, characters, new ring environments, challenges, victory animations,etc.” He goes on to say,”...there are lots of challenges outside the ring. Some tutorials, training sessions, etc.”
Sounds good to us, we are big fans of hard work paying off in the form of unlockables but he also stats that disc space was a challenge to get around with this title and that they are the first internal Nintendo dev team to have such a problem with space.
“We packed the disc to the brim and there were a few things we had to leave out because there wasn’t any space left. We are the first internal Nintendo dev team to come across this problem with the Wii’s dvd, so you are def. getting a lot.”
The game is really starting to take shape and from everyones impressions it looks to have fully captured the retro vibe from the original. We will be covering this title like a blanket till the games release but expect more news on the title in the coming weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just preordered after watching the vids on Gametrailers. I think it was the music from the trailer that sold me. Can't wait!

Hmmm - I totally thought Punch Out already had multiplayer. So this was officially announced on GT?

Weird, you kind of just expect it to have it.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hmmm - I totally thought Punch Out already had multiplayer. So this was officially announced on GT?

Weird, you kind of just expect it to have it.[/QUOTE]

The press releases that originally announced this stuff came out back in March. This is just the first video footage of the multiplayer mode.

[quote name='Cao Cao']The press releases that originally announced this stuff came out back in March. This is just the first video footage of the multiplayer mode.[/quote]
Ohh, ok. I thought so. Thanks.

[quote name='Strell']Because the other Punch-Out games had it. Right?[/QUOTE]
If Wii Boxing had it it would be really stupid to leave it out of Punch-Out.

I don't get the point of Giga Mac. I mean...being big never helped Mac win all those Championships way back in the day. How is it going to help him now?

GameInformer had some Punch-Out!! info in their AC2 issue:
http://nintendodpad.com/Welcome/New..._Mode,_practice,_challenges,_unlockables.html

It confirms Bear Hugger and Don Flamenco, reveals an exhibition/training mode, and challenges for unlockables.

There will be all new modes in Punch-Out!!, we already know of the multi-player mode but there will also be an exhibition mode where you can rematch any fighter of your choosing, as well as the ability to practice against holographic simulations of the boxers you can not seem to take down.

There will also be 3 challenges every fight that if successfully accomplished will unlock bonuses such as voice samples, music and much more. Boy do we love challenges, anything to up the replay value is a plus in our book.

We already know that Don Flamenco and Bear Hugger will make returns but it has been stated that the Bruiser Twins, which were once in the game, were cut at the end of production due to them “not fitting in” with the rest of the roster.

Punch-Out!! seems to be coming along well with different modes to play and replay value to boot. Hopefully more info is revealed in the coming weeks.

Also, this week's Best Buy ad has a picture of a Punch-Out!! pre-order ad slip that looks like it confirms Soda Popinski, along with another boxer, but I can't tell if it's Piston Hurricane or Mr. Sandman due to the small size of the picture on BB's web site.

EDIT: GameInformer info, including Bear Hugger and Don Flamenco's new look (His character art reminds me of Antonio Banderas, but it seems that from his in-game look, he's still humorously obsessed with his hair
toupee
), confirmed by scans of the article from GohanSephiroth of GameFAQs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=954363&topic=49010703

"There will also be 3 challenges every fight that if successfully accomplished will unlock bonuses such as voice samples, music and much more. Boy do we love challenges, anything to up the replay value is a plus in our book."

Sort of like Wario Land: Shake It that had optional challenges in levels. Sounds great. Just one more month to wait. I'm new to the series, so I downloaded the NES game.

[quote name='HuppSav']Is Don Flaminco confirmed?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Don Flamenco was confirmed along with Bear Hugger in the GameInformer article. He has a somewhat new design now, as he now looks more like Antonio Banderas than a hatless Inspector Gadget. You can look at GohanSephiroth's scans below:

Here's a list of boxers confirmed so far:
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo (Trailer)
------------
Don Flamenco
Bear Hugger (Game Informer article)
Soda Popinski (Best Buy ad)
Mr. Sandman?/Piston Hurricane? (Best Buy ad, but I can't tell who it is due to the small size of the picture)

[quote name='The Crotch']They called Bear Hugger a "hoser".[/QUOTE]
Yes, the future will be run by people who grew up calling people "hoser" and listening to Beastie Boys. Tremble in fear.

Damn, I can't believe there is someone on here older than me who would have actually seen SCTV. Either that or you just read about it on wikipedia.

Who said I'm older than ya? You can still find SCTV reruns on Global.

Or at least, you could a couple of years ago. I haven't actually watched Global in a long time.

All CAGs should know about SCTV since the box sets were on Clearance at Dollar General. :p Great shows. I loved them then and now. But back on topic, can't wait to buy Punch Out!

Some info from the GameInformer article:
http://gonintendo.com/?p=79511

- completing a circuit changes Little Mac’s outfit (green, to blue, to ect…)
- use all three stars at once for a triple star spinning uppercut
- ring size/venue changes from circuit to circuit
- Little Mac wears a helmet in the training session (details discussed earlier)
- as mentioned before, there will be specific challenges in Exhibition mode

Von Kaiser challenges:
- Win the fight and land EVERY punch thrown
- TKO Von Kaiser in under a minute
- KO Von Kaiser with only 5 punches

Glass Joe challenges:
- knock him down three times, but let him win by decision
- find the one-punch knockout
- win a fight without dodging/blocking/ducking

- camera zooms in as you beat up your opponent
- pressing the minus button between rounds will regain health. This is allowed once per fight, you’ll see a visual confirmation of the button press when Doc Louis eats a chocolate bar
- lose 100 times and earn the training helmet to make you invincible
- you can also tap 1 and 2 to regain health after being knocked down
- depleted heart meter means you can’t punch
- special mode unlocked after you beat the game (details are secret)

Toys R Us made a blurb that reveals a previously unannounced Title Defense mode, where you defend your championship title against tougher versions of defeated boxers (Probably something like the arcade games had).
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3529121

One of the biggest names in boxing returns after a fifteen year hiatus. Grab your Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers and step back into the ring with Punch-Out!! for the Wii console. Little Mac is back! The ultimate underdog and the best of the Punch-Out!! cast come to life in a modern re-imagination of the series. Glass Joe, King Hippo, trainer Doc Louis and your favorite cast of boxing misfits return for another round of title bouts. See the these boxers come to life in glorious cell-shaded 3-D, complete with hilariously fighting animations and back stories that capture all the fun and flair of the original Punch-Out!! Games. Are you up to the challenge of their new attacks and strategies?

Power Little Mac through match after match of motion-controlled upper cuts, body blows and hooks. Throw your punches to help him throw his. The motion-sensing Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers turn your real-life swings into on-screen punches, making this Punch-Out!! game one anyone can play. Optional functionality with the Wii Balance Board accessory (sold with Wii Fit) adds in active play dodging and ducking.

The game can also be played with classic NES-style controls, offering both newcomers and purists multiple ways to play. All new modes, including first-ever Head-to-Head fighting in the Punch-Out!! series and a challenging new Title Defense mode.

An all new multiplayer mode lets you box head-to-head against a friend for the first time ever in the Punch-Out!! Series. And, once players guide Little Mac to the championship in the single player game, they must defend the title in challenge matches against Mac's fallen foes, who return to the ring with all new tactics, having learned from their defeats.

I have punchout for my nes. I'm not sure but i think it looks better than the new version. I hope they release a ds punchout if this turns out to be a big hit.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=80430
A 1up podcast apparently "leaked" that Piston Honda is returning.

This is the roster from what we currently know:
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo (Trailer)
------------
(We only know the order for the Minor circuit, so from here on, the order's just a guess)
Don Flamenco (GI article)
Bear Hugger (GI article)
???
Piston Honda (1up Podcast)
------------
Bald Bull (Promotional Poster)
Soda Popinski (Best Buy ad, ESRB Summary)
Mr. Sandman (Best Buy ad)
Super Macho Man (ESRB Summary)
------------
???

[quote name='lilboo']Why isn't Mario the ref in this game? :nottalking:[/quote]
Because it would taint his image of being Nintendo's bitch.

[quote name='Cao Cao']http://gonintendo.com/?p=80430
A 1up podcast apparently "leaked" that Piston Honda is returning.

This is the roster from what we currently know:
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo (Trailer)
------------
(We only know the order for the Minor circuit, so from here on, the order's just a guess)
Bear Hugger (GI article)
???
Piston Honda (1up Podcast)
------------
------------
???
[/quote]

Hey, look who reported it. I know that guy. The Punch-Out site teases Mr. Dream, and also has...
Doc saying you need to join Club Nintendo in a sound bite

[quote name='Zing']Damn, I can't believe there is someone on here older than me who would have actually seen SCTV. Either that or you just read about it on wikipedia.[/QUOTE]

You're joking, right? SCTV is one of the all-time great TV shows. Also, if you haven't seen Strange Brew at least 5 times, you should hang your head in shame. Now... everybody mambo!

A scan of the Nintendo Power review was posted over at GameFAQs, it confirms Piston Honda and reveals Great Tiger:

This makes the final roster:
[hiddenlist]
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Disco Kid
King Hippo (Trailer)
------------
Bear Hugger (GI article)
Great Tiger (Nintendo Power)
Piston Honda (1up Podcast, Nintendo Power)
------------
------------
Mr. Dream (Not confirmed, but as others have pointed out, the silhouette on the web site resembles him)[/hiddenlist]

bread's done
Back