Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me welcome you all to the new guide thread. Second, I'd like to ask you all to please keep conversations not pertaining to guide drops to a minimum to avoid cluttering the thread. It's not that I don't enjoy the chit chat, but that it may stop others from locating information on the newest drops.

That being said, let me thank Cheapy for creating this site, without which I would've spent probably 10 times what I HAVE spent on games and guides. Moreover, let me thank each and every one of my fellow CAGs for continuing to contribute to making this site a great place to find out about sales and clearances of the items we as gamers use most. Without a great community, NONE of this would be possible.

Now, with that out of the way(and before I get to rambling), let's get on to making this new thread.

Useful Information(and links):

Game Guide Trade Thread(KEEP ALL TRADE REQUESTS HERE OR IN PM'S):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175548

PLEASE keep ALL trade requests in there or PM's. Thank you.

Reduced Price Guide Discussion Thread(KEEP ALL DISCUSSION NOT RELATED TO GUIDE DROPS HERE!!!):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169252

What is the purpose of this thread?

The purpose of this thread is to let our fellow CAGs know when a guide has dropped to a low price(it's NOT ALWAYS A PENNY), so they can go out and grab guides for themselves and for trading with other CAGs.

Anytime you have guide drops to report, post them here. Please specify at which store you found them and which guides you found and list them in alphabetical order. Thank you. Please, whenever possible, use RED font to make the drop info stand out. Thanks again.

What are penny guides?

Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Prior Reduced price game guide threads:

Guide Three:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ighlight=guide
Guide Four:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/....php?p=1496376
Guide Five:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...ad.php?t=85976
Guide Six:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=116918
Guide Seven:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=131717
Guide Seven and a half:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=142400
Guide Eight:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=167157
Guide Nine:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=187222
Guide Ten:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219547

Finally, below is a list of website links, each of which goes to their respective guide page. Whenever possible, I will update the links with better ones(if available).

Amazon
Barnes&Noble
BestBuy
Gamestop
Overstock
Strategyguides.net
ToysRUs

Thanks to floormat, Guinaevere and anyone else who has created and maintained the guide thread before, as well as to all of those who find out either advance information on drops or provide a list of which ones dropped when we do have a drop.

The post below this one contains a list going back at LEAST six months of the more current guide drops, which stores they occured at and which ones dropped. Note that sometimes(Oblivion guide, Quake Wars: Enemy Territory)there are multiple versions of a guide, be it that there are Prima versions, Brady versions and the occasional Nintendo and Doublejump guides.

Please specify WHICH version has dropped when mentioning possible guide drops. Thank you.

Common Guide Drop Related Questions(FAQ):

FAQ - If you are new (or a vet with a few questions) look here SECOND! (After reading the above!)

Q: What Are Penny Guides?
A: Penny guides are guides which have been on the market for a while and the publisher(or store chain) decide that the remaining stock of these guides have little to no chance of selling, so they issue an order to pull them from the shelves and destroy them. At that time, they are also marked as .01 in their inventory system, except in the case of BBV, which marks them .01 only AFTER pulling them.

Most stores have an agreement with the publisher that states that if they destroy the remaining stock of those items, they will receive a credit for their value from the publisher. This is why many stores are usually annoyed when we CAGs come in and buy the guides AT the penny price, since otherwise they would've received a full credit for those items.

According to an employee at a local BB, they also have a recycling program for the pennied stock, so as to not clutter landfill space with the guides. As to how true it is, I cannot confirm, but I would hope that the paper is at least recycled instead of just dumpstered.

Q: Do all guides from all stores drop at the same time?
A: No. While most chains have nationwide drops within their own store (as in every BB will have the same drops coast to coast), not every different chain drops at the same time (what drops at BB is NOT necessarily dropped at GS). When in doubt, check post TWO for drop info.

Q: I found a penny guide and a clerk denied me! I'ma report 'em!
A: Whoa, hold your horses there, pardner! First of all, not a question. Second, just because something is on the shelf, the clerk does NOT have to sell you that item. Most stores are PRIVATE property and as such can deny you just about anything they want - including a sale. The best advice is to not be rude, not be arrogant, and just try hard to get them to have pity on you.

Q: Why don't the clerks want to sell me their penny guides? Aren't they just throwing them away?
A: As stated above, the stores are ordered by the publisher to trash the guides, and are then given credit for those guides. If they don't do this, the publisher won't give them the credit - it's like losing a sale. On the employee level, selling a penny guide can sometimes get them in trouble (or even fired!) I know it seems silly, but this is their job we're talking about! Respect the man (or woman) behind the counter and you'll get a lot more guides than otherwise!

Q: Should I just ask if the store has penny guides then?
A: No, since that denotes that you have some insider information as to the runnings of these businesses.

Q: What if the clerk wants to know how I know so much about guide drops?
A: If asked where you got your info about guides that pennied, simply say either 'the internet' or 'a friend of mine told me they're on clearance'.

Q: But clerks will know what a penny guide is, right? I can talk to them like anyone else here...
A: Never use the word pennied to ANY store clerks unless you have built up a good rapport with them. Even then, it may seem a little fishy if you know more about their shop than they do.

Q: Are guides labeled as a penny on the shelf?
A: Sometimes. Most times, no. GS seems to label everything that gets a price drop, so often times guides will be stickered. But even so, they most likely won't sell them to you. A sticker does not mean 'have to sell'.

Q: I tried to buy a guide that this thread said was pennied and it didn't ring up as such! What gives?
A: Either 1) Our source was wrong (this rarely happens and is usually verified a FEW times within maybe an hour of posting), or 2) The clerk changed the price. It's usually number 2.

Q: What's the easiest way to get penny guides? This sounds like TONS of work!
A: Best Buy is probably the best place to get guides, followed by GameStop, GameCrazy, Toys R Us and then Blockbuster. From what I've seen though, probably 95% of guides that people get are snagged at BB - the rest come from the other stores. But it never hurts to try!

Q: Has there been a drop recently?
A: If you are asking this question you didn't fully understand the OP - go back and read it once more. When a drop happens, it will be posted, and then placed in the second post - trust us.

Q: How do you guys know so much about penny guides?
A: We sometimes have inside sources with the information from the stores themselves; other times, fellow CAGS just like you or me simply take suspected guides to the register and ask them to ring them up, to check their prices. Feel free to do this yourself, and help give back to the community by telling us what you find! However, DON'T ask "Has anyone checked XXX lately?", unless you are in the right thread (discussion area).

Thanks to GrilledWitOnions for creating the above FAQ, which should eliminate the need for such questions popping up in the thread from this point on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']I would think the way to report drops at GAME would be to say

"hey guys, the following have dropped at GAME: "

too logical?[/QUOTE]
Shouldn't this be in the international video game deals forum to begin with?

[quote name='JNKryo']I also only have 1 GS around me that I can get penny guides from consistently. What's cool about it is that they actually put out the guides with the $0.01 sticker on them! No hassles whatsoever when buying them.[/QUOTE]

Prior to the lockdown, several stores near me used to pull the guides and stack them on top of the carousel that holds the rest of the books, encouraging folks to take them. The good old days....

For those complaining about no good stores near them, it took me a year to find this one. Keep trying different locations! :) As a rule of thumb, always try to avoid shopping when the manager is there, if it all possible. And this may be local, but the stores inside the malls here seemed to be the most clueless, so I had good luck there.

I'm not sure this was mentioned (if it was, I'm blind), but while I was going through the Gamestop Dumpster earlier today, I found a few
Scribblenauts guides - marked for 1 penny.

There was also some Bakugan guides for 1 penny.....good for kindling I guess.

img6575bk.jpg

[quote name='EMdaftRAVE']No it isnt the same and my point is it dosent really matter does it? Im not a moron. They do do penny guides. Just not the same guides. I wouldnt be in the thread if i knew they didnt do penny guides. Moron.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't they be "pence guides", or even "p guides"?

Right then. Cheerio.

[quote name='Ultragamer']I can confirm Scribblenauts and Bakugan were pennied at Gamestop. Went in today and managed to get a copy of Scribblenauts.[/QUOTE]

Regular or Super Scribblenauts? I thought I saw 2 versions guides but was not sure.

[quote name='nixmahn']Regular or Super Scribblenauts? I thought I saw 2 versions guides but was not sure.[/QUOTE]

Regular, Super Scribblenauts just came out this month(or last) so it's still full price. It has the white cover if that helps, I believe Super Scribblenauts has a more blue'ish color to it.

I really am hating these micro drops, since it's a pita to keep editing the 2nd n 3rd posts because we don't have a reliable source at any Gamestop to give us complete lists of guides that dropped.

Then again, that would require someone who worked for GS having every guide ever released at their store, since I don't think the price change lists show up completely unless a store has every guide on it.

Can anyone verify what day Bakugan and Scribblenauts dropped? If you have a guide with one of the $.01 stickers on the cover the price change date should be under the title of the guide. It's one of those two sets of numbers as seen in kiribee's picture of the guides.

I believe it's typically the right hand set of numbers. I can't make out the second set of two numbers of the date on the sticker, but it looks like the third number is a 1.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Can anyone verify what day Bakugan and Scribblenauts dropped? If you have a guide with one of the $.01 stickers on the cover the price change date should be under the title of the guide. It's one of those two sets of numbers as seen in kiribee's picture of the guides.

I believe it's typically the right hand set of numbers.[/QUOTE]

102110 on both. So 10/21/10 dropped is when it dropped, or yesterday. While I was there they said nothing else dropped, I didn't even mention Bakugan when I asked about Scribblenauts and they gave it to me as well.

Thanks for the verification, Ultragamer. I just wanted to make sure that maybe these two weren't perhaps part of last week's drop and they somehow got missed.

For anyone who missed it, you can determine how long a guide has been sitting on a store's shelves in much the same was as has been covered here(reading the date on the front cover under the name).

If the guide has an old date on it, you might want to bring it up to the register to have it checked as it may be a guide that dropped. There are some exceptions to this rule(FFXII LE, for example).

I'll get to updating the 2nd n 3rd posts now though. Thanks again for the verification Ultragamer.

Looking at the web site today, I noticed a HELL of a lot of guides went missing.

Alan Wake
Assassin's Creed II LE
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Bioshock II
Borderlands
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Dante's Inferno
God Of War III
God Of War Collection
Just Cause 2
The Legend Of Zelda: Spirit Tracks LE
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Mass Effect 2 LE
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
NCAA Football 11
Nier
Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
The Sims 3: Ambitions
The Sims 3: World Adventures
Starcraft II LE
Super Street Fighter IV
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
Transformers: War For Cybertron
UFC Undisputed 2010
World Of Warcraft: Dungeon Companion III

Mind you, this does not mean that a drop is pending, as I have not heard anything about one so far. Just something to prepare for in the future.

I will be working tomorrow and Monday, so if I hear anything, you all will know.

Hm... wonder if they would do a november drop, or even a second drop before october ends. Would be really nice to snatch up one of the Spirit Tracks Collectors guides. Odd they would pull the Starcraft II LE from the site so soon, that game was just released a couple months ago.

[quote name='Ultragamer']Hm... wonder if they would do a november drop, or even a second drop before october ends. Would be really nice to snatch up one of the Spirit Tracks Collectors guides. Odd they would pull the Starcraft II LE from the site so soon, that game was just released a couple months ago.[/QUOTE]

The Starcraft II LE guide is getting really hard to find (at least in my area). I wouldn't be surprised if it's because Best Buy sold out of them.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']The Starcraft II LE guide is getting really hard to find (at least in my area). I wouldn't be surprised if it's because Best Buy sold out of them.[/QUOTE]

There were at least 3 at my closest bestbuy last I checked. Only guide on that list I can't remember seeing at bestbuy recently would be Mass Effect 2 LE.

[quote name='loxthefox']Looking at the web site today, I noticed a HELL of a lot of guides went missing.

Alan Wake
Assassin's Creed II LE
Bioshock II
Borderlands
Dante's Inferno
God Of War III
God Of War Collection
Just Cause 2
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Mass Effect 2 LE
NCAA Football 11
Nier
Starcraft II LE
Super Street Fighter IV
UFC Undisputed 2010

Mind you, this does not mean that a drop is pending, as I have not heard anything about one so far. Just something to prepare for in the future.

I will be working tomorrow and Monday, so if I hear anything, you all will know.[/QUOTE]

is this gamestop or best buy you speak of?

[quote name='confoosious']Shit, i could use a lot of those guides, lox. Can't wait for reports.[/QUOTE]

Same here. There's around 5-10 I'm looking for there.

[quote name='joker______']is this gamestop or best buy you speak of?[/QUOTE]

Lox works at bestbuy and is one of our great bestbuy sources, so this would be a bestbuy list.

thanks for replying Ultra & Lox no worries for not mentioning it just that the site has changed on my android & alot of the posts kinda overlapsed each other so i couldnt tell if it was mentioned or not but thanks for the list will keep my eye on Mass Effect 2 LE and UFC 2010

SKU's if anyone is interested

9927045 Alan Wake
9539608 Assassin's Creed II LE
9342482 Batman: Arkham Asylum
9742391 Bioshock II
9571983 Borderlands
9614487 Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
9742337 Dante's Inferno
9743981 God Of War III
9657394 God Of War Collection
9849296 Just Cause 2
9645477 The Legend Of Zelda: Spirit Tracks LE
9643346 Lego Indiana Jones 2
9738326 Mass Effect 2 LE
1019439 Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
1054292 NCAA Football 11
9904372 Nier
9927063 Prince Of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
9927054 The Sims 3: Ambitions
9643497 The Sims 3: World Adventures
1092246 Starcraft II LE
9900011 Super Street Fighter IV
9893596 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
9993073 Transformers: War For Cybertron
9904627 UFC Undisputed 2010
9667285 World Of Warcraft: Dungeon Companion III

just got back from a best buy, i only saw the sc2le and the reg gow3. the sc2 was in the pc game section and the gow was behind like 20 halo osdt guides. I know that they had a couple on the list 4 days ago when i went looking for some of the last drops.

[quote name='loxthefox']Looking at the web site today, I noticed a HELL of a lot of guides went missing.

Alan Wake
Assassin's Creed II LE
Bioshock II
Borderlands
Dante's Inferno
God Of War III
God Of War Collection
Just Cause 2
Lego Indiana Jones 2
Mass Effect 2 LE
NCAA Football 11
Nier
Starcraft II LE
Super Street Fighter IV
UFC Undisputed 2010

I will be working tomorrow and Monday, so if I hear anything, you all will know.[/QUOTE]
I could definitely use Just Cause 2's guide at least and I'd probably pick up 1-2 each of the rest just for some newer trade fodder for on here. There's just far too many secrets in the Just Cause 2 game world to see and it'd be nice if the guide has a compiled list of them, rather than having to go to various sites and jotting down coordinates.

[quote name='OregonDealz']So you guys think it would be a waste of time to go check this list out today?[/QUOTE]

If your hoping to pick up any of these guides for a penny today, you will most definitely be wasting your time. If you're going to see what on the list is at your bestbuy for reference when these guides do drop thats your own call. For the reason of gas prices, I'd say there is really not much of a point to going to bestbuy with this list in mind unless you are going for something else already.

[quote name='Ultragamer']If your hoping to pick up any of these guides for a penny today, you will most definitely be wasting you time. If your going to see what on the list your bestbuy has for reference when the these guides to drop thats your own call. For the reason of gas prices, I'd say there is really not much point to going to bestbuy with this list in mind unless you are going for something else already.[/QUOTE]

Right on thanks for the info. Ya i did a buncha scouting the last couple weeks looking for the last drops. So, i pretty much know whats where. I am pretty lucky here as there are 4 BB within like 20 minutes driving!

Really hope if those guides drop they wait to do so the first week of November instead of this coming Monday. Two year anniversary with the wife on Monday and I don't think she'd take too kindly to me going to a few Best Buy's hunting penny guides lol.

I don't see

Uncharted 2
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

on the site either can you check those lox?

[quote name='JediJames2']Really hope if those guides drop they wait to do so the first week of November instead of this coming Monday. Two year anniversary with the wife on Monday and I don't think she'd take too kindly to me going to a few Best Buy's hunting penny guides lol.[/QUOTE]

Just tell her that penny guide hunting is just one day, while your love for her is... Forever!! Make sure you include a dramatic pause before "Forever!!".

[quote name='emg28']Just tell her that penny guide hunting is just one day, while your love for her is... Forever!! Make sure you include a dramatic pause before "Forever!!".[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to clench you fist and have a crazed look in your eyes...

[quote name='JediJames2']Really hope if those guides drop they wait to do so the first week of November instead of this coming Monday. Two year anniversary with the wife on Monday and I don't think she'd take too kindly to me going to a few Best Buy's hunting penny guides lol.[/QUOTE]

Just tell her if you find anything, she gets dibs on the UFC guides. Problem solved.

[quote name='JNKryo']Don't forget to clench you fist and have a crazed look in your eyes...[/QUOTE]

And if she says OK, then put the baseball and duct tape away.

[quote name='nixmahn']I don't see

Uncharted 2

[/QUOTE]

Star Ocean's been gone from the site for months now.

Missed Uncharted though. Thanks for catching it!

[quote name='loxthefox']Just want to remind you all, this is just speculation on what could drop in the future. NOTHING HAS DROPPED.[/QUOTE]
Like anyone is going to see that warning when it's just easier to clutter the thread with posts with something like THIS: "Duhhhh. I went to BB today and checked and those guides aren't a penny. You lie."

Cheapy really needs to invest in making it so you can put shit into a flashing font so people will pay attention to it.

[quote name='nixmahn']I don't see

Uncharted 2

[/QUOTE]

uncharted 2 was gone a long time ago.

[quote name='loxthefox']Star Ocean's been gone from the site for months now.

Missed Uncharted though. Thanks for catching it![/QUOTE]

[quote name='62t']uncharted 2 was gone a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

And they are still full price before last BB drop? Oh man, those were the only ones I wanted that I missed from GS.

Anyone on here hit the Paramus(NJ) area Best Buys at the last drop? I ask because I may be going out that way for business as of tomorrow and I wanted to know if anything was left there before I waste my time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Anyone on here hit the Paramus(NJ) area Best Buys at the last drop? I ask because I may be going out that way for business as of tomorrow and I wanted to know if anything was left there before I waste my time.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see much there. I had to go to the Best Buy in Wayne to find the Alan Wake CE.

They redid the store at the Fashion Center and a lot of the guides disappeared.

The Best Buy next to the Garden State Plaza had LittleBigPlanet Super Book. I don't have a PS3 so I left it there.

The other guides I didn't remember seeing but I wasn't looking for too many. Only newer ones.

[quote name='RallyV']I didn't see much there. I had to go to the Best Buy in Wayne to find the Alan Wake CE.

The Best Buy next to the Garden State Plaza had LittleBigPlanet Super Book. I don't have a PS3 so I left it there.

The other guides I didn't remember seeing but I wasn't looking for too many. Only newer ones.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. It's looking like my boss isn't going out that way though, as he would've probably called me back by now about going. Then again my ankle is acting up AGAIN like it was during the last drop at BB, but I'm hoping by tomorrow morning that the soreness goes away and doesn't escalate like it did last month.:bomb:

I looked like Hugh Laurie from House limping around with a cane on the day of the drop.:cry:

I forget though, which of those two BB stores is the one in the parking lot of the Paramus Park Mall? And how's Books-A-Million in the mall there? Any used section?;)

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm trying to determine if it'd be worth it for me to limp my ass from the auto auction to BB or wherever tomorrow if I go.

[quote name='RallyV']I didn't see much there. I had to go to the Best Buy in Wayne to find the Alan Wake CE.

[/QUOTE]

I hit up Wayne, both Paramus stores and even Secaucus. I only ended up with one Alan Wake CE, 1 Bioshock 2 CE and that's it. There were a bunch of GoW3: UEs, but I didn't know about that one. Couldn't find any LBP ones either :(. Oh well... School until 5 tomorrow so if a drop happens, it would be cool if you guys could post the stores with something so I don't waste too much time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I forget though, which of those two BB stores is the one in the parking lot of the Paramus Park Mall? And how's Books-A-Million in the mall there? Any used section?;)

Sorry for all of the questions but I'm trying to determine if it'd be worth it for me to limp my ass from the auto auction to BB or wherever tomorrow if I go.[/QUOTE]

The Fashion Center Mall BBY, which is on 17-N is the one a little bit after Paramus Park Mall on Route 17. It doesn't share a parking lot with it. The other one, however, shares a parking lot with Garden State Plaza. There are no Uncharted or Star Ocean guides left in the 4 BBYs I mentioned before. I've double checked all of them when I wanted to buy one at full price. I didn't even know there was a Books-A-Million around, but I'm going to assume it doesn't have a used section. Most stores in Paramus Park Mall are already small, so I wouldn't be surprised if that Books a Million doesn't have much floor space.

Any info from the inside on if we should expect a drop tomorrow? I can always check when they open since theres a bestbuy right near the target I check clearance at.

[quote name='Ultragamer']SKU's if anyone is interested[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! In case anyone didn't know, you can check your store's inventory by using this link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...tId=1156202764702&itemId=962540&ref=39&loc=01

Just replace the skuId with the SKU of the guide you're looking for & type in zipcode from there.

Looks even though you can't find the guide by searching the site, you can still check inventory by going through this method.

So far it seems my store has all of these guides, so here's to hoping there's a drop tomorrow. I'll try to get my supervisor to let me take my hour lunch break early so I can swing by to see if any guides dropped. I know it's no guarantee by any means, but it's worth a shot to not potentially miss out on a ton of guides. :cool:

[quote name='Ultragamer']Any info from the inside on if we should expect a drop tomorrow? I can always check when they open since theres a bestbuy right near the target I check clearance at.[/QUOTE]

Nothing so far. I'm working first thing in the morning, so I'll let you all know if anything happens.

Though, if I don't post by 10 or 11, most likely nothing dropped.

[quote name='loxthefox']Nothing so far. I'm working first thing in the morning, so I'll let you all know if anything happens.

Though, if I don't post by 10 or 11, most likely nothing dropped.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the potential heads up, lox :)

Hmm I won't have access to the site here until I get home from work tomorrow evening. Ah well I might swing by BB during my lunch break since it's only 5 mins or less from my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back