RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Jest']In other news, who is picking up Catherine tomorrow? And which version?[/QUOTE]
PS3. Apparently the video looks better on PS3 because it's less compressed..

[quote name='momouchi']Q as in Star Trek: TNG? Because he was most definitely awesome. ;)

I just ordered Nier and FF XIII from GoHastings, which should I play first?[/QUOTE]

I loved both, but I would play Nier first since you'll want to play through it at least 2 times to gain a deeper look at the story and characters.

So - Nier, FF13, then Nier again!

[quote name='momouchi']Q as in Star Trek: TNG? Because he was most definitely awesome. ;)

I just ordered Nier and FF XIII from GoHastings, which should I play first?[/QUOTE]
Play Nier first. You can play through the game 4 times and each time gives you a deeper look at the story. Although it is recommended to beat it twice and then you tube the other two endings because the other two endings are a royal bitch to get.

How long is Catherine anyway? Since it's not an RPG I was wondering if it would be doable in a short rental (I'll def pick it up at some point, but will wait till cheap/I have money).

Deciding on what game I should start next. Damn backlog, but all three of these cost me $25 total :D.

Breath of Death/CSTW pack
Resonance of Fate
Alice: Madness Returns (Will start with classic Alice first).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Deciding on what game I should start next. Damn backlog, but all three of these cost me $25 total :D.

Resonance of Fate
Alice: Madness Returns (Will start with classic Alice first).[/QUOTE]
Alice is a great game, it's surprisingly lengthy though. I was working on my Nightmare run through Madness Returns to finish off the achievements before I got sidetracked by Persona. :lol:

[quote name='Zmonkay']How long is Catherine anyway? Since it's not an RPG I was wondering if it would be doable in a short rental (I'll def pick it up at some point, but will wait till cheap/I have money).[/QUOTE]

About 15 hours on your first play most sources are saying

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Deciding on what game I should start next. Damn backlog, but all three of these cost me $25 total :D.

Resonance of Fate
Alice: Madness Returns (Will start with classic Alice first).[/QUOTE]

Alice is very fun, I'm playing it right now.

[quote name='bvharris']Alice is very fun, I'm playing it right now.[/QUOTE]
Alright I will start Alice and then if I have time left before Deus Ex, I will do Resonance of Fate.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']All of the guides that I've found are just lists of what to do on every day of the year to maximize S. Link efficiency. I'm not interested in that, just some high-level overview information about how the mechanics work, but that's surprisingly difficult to find.
[/QUOTE]

This is going from memory so it might not be 100% accurate, but here goes:

Once you get any girl to level 5 (I think, or 6?) she will want exclusivity. However, you can still see other girls as long as you see the higher level girl at least once a month. If you wait too long, her link will reverse and you'll have to do something special to get it to go back (a special date, or give a gift? I forget). When you get her up to either 8 or 9, the decision you make on your conversation choice will dictate whether you end up just friends or end up as lovers when you get to level 10 (I think that's on p3 but it might just be that way in p4?).

Edit: I think Yuko was also the first girl I maxed. Guess I just like those cute athletic girls (

[quote name='Backlash']This is going from memory so it might not be 100% accurate, but here goes:

Once you get any girl to level 5 (I think, or 6?) she will want exclusivity. However, you can still see other girls as long as you see the higher level girl at least once a month. If you wait too long, her link will reverse and you'll have to do something special to get it to go back (a special date, or give a gift? I forget). When you get her up to either 8 or 9, the decision you make on your conversation choice will dictate whether you end up just friends or end up as lovers when you get to level 10 (I think that's on p3 but it might just be that way in p4?).

Edit: I think Yuko was also the first girl I maxed. Guess I just like those cute athletic girls (

Just got home from picking up Catherine, installing it to my hard drive at this moment. I'll tell you guys how it is....

Damn, another game to play now, I really need to finish Tales of Vespeira

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Good info, thanks. It's funny to me that the girls expect exclusivity before you establish that it's a romantic relationship, not after. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I don't find that to be inconsistent with reality. :D

I'm glad they made it much less restrictive in Persona 4 though. I have enough on my plate saving the town from a serial killer without having to worry about juggling girls' feelings. #-o

[quote name='bvharris']I don't find that to be inconsistent with reality. :D[/QUOTE]
Ha, true dat.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm glad they made it much less restrictive in Persona 4 though. I have enough on my plate saving the town from a serial killer without having to worry about juggling girls' feelings. #-o[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't mind if it was reversed actually! I've been doing the pimp thing in P3P, but in P4 I find I have very little desire to two-time Chie. :) I haven't had much exposure to Naoto and Rise at this point in the story though, so that may change.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
I wouldn't mind if it was reversed actually! I've been doing the pimp thing in P3P, but in P4 I find I have very little desire to two-time Chie. :) I haven't had much exposure to Naoto and Rise at this point in the story though, so that may change.[/QUOTE]

Rise will make you reconsider. ;)

[quote name='Ryuukishi']

I wouldn't mind if it was reversed actually! I've been doing the pimp thing in P3P, but in P4 I find I have very little desire to two-time Chie. :) I haven't had much exposure to Naoto and Rise at this point in the story though, so that may change.[/QUOTE]

I noticed a distinct lack of Yukiko in this post.

[quote name='bvharris']Rise will make you reconsider. ;)[/QUOTE]

She certainly did (dem pigtails), but eventually I stuck with Chie.

Though I think Rise gives you the best present at Christmas. Something like a 40% bonus to SP.

[quote name='Indignate']I noticed a distinct lack of Yukiko in this post.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he had already picked Chie over her, so didn't feel the need. I was sticking wtih Yukiko at first in my game...then well Rise showed up and that was that.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Maybe he had already picked Chie over her, so didn't feel the need.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I was sticking wtih Yukiko at first in my game...then well Rise showed up and that was that.[/QUOTE]

Now I'm really confused.

Yukiko is a great character and all, but as a romance prospect she just leaves me cold I guess. Whereas Chie stole my heart immediately. :lol: I'll withhold ultimate judgment on the other girls until I experience more of the story.

Playing through both P3 and P4 at the same time (in addition to really making me confused about people's schedules sometimes) really drives home what an improvement P4 was on an already stellar formula. I do think the voice acting is overall better in P3, especially the lead female roles-- Chie and Yukiko are both so-so performances in my book, makes me miss Michelle Ruff and Tara Platt from P3. Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthal are my boys though! (Despite Brosuke acting like a total d-bag perv during the entire camping trip.) The other mega-win in P3 is Elizabeth >>> Margaret.

[quote name='Indignate']I don't understand.

Now I'm really confused.[/QUOTE]

confused.jpg

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yukiko is a great character and all, but as a romance prospect she just leaves me cold I guess. Whereas Chie stole my heart immediately.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're not getting them mixed up or something?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I do think the voice acting is overall better in P3, especially the lead female roles-- Chie and Yukiko are both so-so performances in my book, makes me miss Michelle Ruff and Tara Platt from P3. Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthal are my boys though![/QUOTE]

Eh, Michelle Ruff is getting to that point where I only hear one character coming out of her mouth, which is why I'm not psyched for her appearance in Catherine. Yuri is getting to this point too. Other big offenders are Johnny Yong Bosch and of course Nolan North (motherfucker talks to himself yo). I can still run with Tara Platt and Troy Baker though.

Your other party members also get battle bonuses as your S-Links go up in P4, so that played a part in my decisions of who to level up / hang out with. Of course I maxed Chie and Yukiko both eventually :) Don't remember if I maxed Rise. Loved the pigtails, though.

[quote name='Indignate']Are you sure you're not getting them mixed up or something?[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure. :lol: It's the short hair, it does me in every time.

[quote name='Indignate']Eh, Michelle Ruff is getting to that point where I only hear one character coming out of her mouth, which is why I'm not psyched for his appearance in Catherine. Yuri is getting to this point too. Other big offenders are Johnny Yong Bosch and of course Nolan North (motherfucker talks to himself yo). I can still run with Tara Platt and Troy Baker though.[/QUOTE]
You forgot Steven Blum! :lol: Fantastic performer, but at this point it's remarkable when he's not in a game.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
You forgot Steven Blum! :lol: Fantastic performer, but at this point it's remarkable when he's not in a game.[/QUOTE]

Or anime for that matter. He has a little bit more of a range than the others though. He's not always instantly recognizable.

Now if you would have said Liam O'Brien...I love this dudes voice, but damn if it never changes.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Pretty sure.You forgot Steven Blum! :lol: Fantastic performer, but at this point it's remarkable when he's not in a game.[/QUOTE]

He is another one who only had like two voices. Regular-Spike(Bebop)/Duke(G.I.Joe Resolute) and Gruff-Wolverine (Wolverine and X-Men)/Oghren(Dragon Age) and then different pitches of it. I was shocked when I found out he was Starscream in Transformers Prime. First voice of his I didn't recognize instantly.

I just realized I don't even know what the apparently ubiquitous Nolan North sounds like. I've somehow managed to completely avoid the Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and Prince of Persia series.

[quote name='Indignate']And every other game ever?[/QUOTE]
I guess so. I scanned his Wikipedia page and the only thing that jumps out at me is Vossler from Final Fantasy XII, but that was a relatively minor role and I can't really place the voice now.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Really? YOu never caught any of his animation roles either?[/QUOTE]
Nope. The only thing on the Wiki page that I've watched is Aqua Teen, but I don't recall that episode.

My copy of Catherine arrived (PS3 regular). I'm not even entirely sure if I want it, but it's too late now because I'm too lazy to return it.

[quote name='blueshinra']Don't jinx us! ;)[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:#

I'm sure we'll at least get the PS3 one when it comes out. Although, I'm still not entirely sure on the relationship of the two games.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']This basically sounds like what would pop out if you put the words "metal," "Michael Jackson," and "16 bits" together in some sort of newfangled music creator.[/QUOTE]

Ahaha, I can't hear the Michael Jackson part of it, but I'm not a fan of MJ =P

[quote name='elessar123']Ahaha, I can't hear the Michael Jackson part of it, but I'm not a fan of MJ =P[/QUOTE]

Mostly the impression from the voice that comes in the opening and also about halfway through; sounds a bit like some of MJ's voice blurbs lol. djet djet, djet djet djet

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Nope. The only thing on the Wiki page that I've watched is Aqua Teen, but I don't recall that episode.[/QUOTE]

You've heard him, You probably just haven't realized it yet. lol

[quote name='jello44']She certainly did (dem pigtails), but eventually I stuck with Chie.

Though I think Rise gives you the best present at Christmas. Something like a 40% bonus to SP.[/QUOTE]

Chie bros unite. bv has been antagonizing me over my Chie favoritism for months and still hasn't been able to break me, hah.

And, uhh...I guess this is my first post in the RPG thread, so hey guys :lol:

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']You've heard him, You probably just haven't realized it yet. lol[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the entire joke of all ATHF villains is that they're incredibly deadpan, non-threatening, and normal-sounding, so he could be pretty much anyone in that series.

I'm putting my money on Nolan North being either the depressed action figure from the Jiggle Billy episode or the horrifying onion-spider-thing in the Halloween episode that had loaded the attic with hacked-up corpses and viscera.

I'm more of a Naoto person myself (than again, being a girl, that means more character and personalitywise than lookswise :D) But she was definitely one of the most interesting stories.

If we're talking strictly looks then it's Rise no contest, but my Chie favoritism is mostly rooted in the fact that she's the one I'd be most likely to get along with. (considering that the main character is a player self-insert I'm allowed to ponder these kind of things and it not be weird ;)) She's just one of the guys, for lack of a better phrase.

[quote name='fwbweux']I'm putting my money on Nolan North being either the depressed action figure from the Jiggle Billy episode or the horrifying onion-spider-thing in the Halloween episode that had loaded the attic with hacked-up corpses and viscera.[/QUOTE]

Well then I'd take your money now. Because the voice of that figure is unmistakably David Cross. And I'm willing to bet that Jiggly Bill is done by one of the main guys.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Play Nier first. You can play through the game 4 times and each time gives you a deeper look at the story. Although it is recommended to beat it twice and then you tube the other two endings because the other two endings are a royal bitch to get.[/QUOTE]
It's not much of a bitch at all, unless you've been skipping everything. Only took me about 2 hrs of extra play to fulfill the requirements. You can simply save, get 3rd ending, load, and get the 4th ending.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/25/a-message-from-level-5-president-akihiro-hino-to-overseas-fans/

Level 5's president talking about their new US office. He mentions localizing games made by their Japan offices. Previously it was reported that they were just going to make new games with an American audience in mind.
I hope this means that Ni no Kuni will come out on the DS.[/QUOTE]
I think I'm being more realistic by hoping for Inazuma Eleven first. Ni no Kuni would be nice, but I don't think the big expensive box on a dying-ish platform is going to come here.

lol, it's been years since I've watched ATHF. I'm trying to recall all the characters who sounded "normal guy"-ish but apparently I'm doing a bad job of it.

Let's throw a couple more random guesses out there.

Emory? (the orange Plutonian)
one of the alien frat boys?

I'm really embarrassed that I can't remember more villains considering how much I watched that show as a teenager.

[quote name='pete5883']It's not much of a bitch at all, unless you've been skipping everything. Only took me about 2 hrs of extra play to fulfill the requirements. You can simply save, get 3rd ending, load, and get the 4th ending.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same with me. I didn't find it that much of a bother. There was only one or two missions that were a pain, but for the money, I just sold a bunch of crap I didn't need and easily had enough to buy the weapons I was missing.

If you do decide to do that, just make sure you pick the first option when going for Ending C , then go for Ending D.

Nolan North was Balloon Hitler by the way. (Ah I see I was beaten to the punch.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back