SoulCalibur IV - (10.17.08) - Vader/Yoda DLC set to release on 10/23 [400 points]

[quote name='artego']You do know that the ratio is still something like 60% girls 40% guys, right? Even with the extras.

So that's 2 new bonus characters, and 1 returning character. Isn't that all they said that was left in the last famitsu report? Is this the full cast?[/QUOTE]

Actually, with this new character, the female to male ratio is dead even. Although i would still like to see more male characters, and male characters designed by team soul that fit the storyline. But the more the merrier i say.

Amy
Cassandra
Ivy
Seong Mi-na
Sophitia
Taki
Talim
Tira
Xianghua
Angol Fear
Ashlotte
Hilde
Scheherazade
Shura
=14

Astaroth
Cervantes
Kilik
Lizardman
Maxi
Mitsurugi
Nightmare
Raphael
Rock
Siegfried
Voldo
Yoshimitsu
Yun-seong
Zasalamel
=14

[quote name='sleepy180']Actually, with this new character, the female to male ratio is dead even. Although i would still like to see more male characters, and male characters designed by team soul that fit the storyline. But the more the merrier i say.

Amy
Cassandra
Ivy
Seong Mi-na
Sophitia
Taki
Talim
Tira
Xianghua
Angol Fear
Ashlotte
Hilde
Scheherazade
Shura
=14

Astaroth
Cervantes
Kilik
Lizardman
Maxi
Mitsurugi
Nightmare
Raphael
Rock
Siegfried
Voldo
Yoshimitsu
Yun-seong
Zasalamel
=14[/quote]
You're forgetting Yoda and Vader so for now more males.

Ashlotte looks really good, I'm interested to see what her fighting style will be with that weapon.

On a side note, Oh! Great! is a really really talented artist.

[quote name='heavyd853']Ashlotte looks really good, I'm interested to see what her fighting style will be with that weapon.

On a side note, Oh! Great! is a really really talented artist.[/quote]
Too bad Tenjou Tenge is one of the dumbest things I've ever read or watched...

Air Gear though, different story.

I don't read his mangas haha. They all are like, omg double page spread of some naked chick doing something weird and on fire or some shirtless guy beating the crap out of another with a random dragon in the back!

But damn are those spreads nice looking.

May 21, 2008 - Setsuka Returns!

scan2pe2.jpg

she's blond now. hmmm.

Am I the only one who is starting to simply HATE this game because of all the bimbo female characters? Jesus christ they're out of control.

I think the game looks awesome. I'm loving the large female cast. The only one I don't really like is that Angol Fear character. She looks stupid.

I like Setsuka's new look. Which I'm glad for because I really wanted to use her in SC3, but hated the way she looked in that game.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I like Setsuka's new look. Which I'm glad for because I really wanted to use her in SC3, but hated the way she looked in that game.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the blonde hair just her P2 outfit from SC III?

Indeed, I'll withhold judgment on the game until I play it myself. I don't really care too much if its competition worthy or not because there's so many other games coming out this year.

[quote name='Gamehead']There are a lot more characters in this game than I thought there would be. I pray for good character balance.[/QUOTE]

Not gonna happen. Namco typically takes a couple iterations to get character balance where it should be ... and since the guests are all only showing up once, I'd wager half the character list is going to be overpowered and/or utterly useless.

[quote name='trq']Not gonna happen. Namco typically takes a couple iterations to get character balance where it should be ... and since the guests are all only showing up once, I'd wager half the character list is going to be overpowered and/or utterly useless.[/QUOTE]

They've probably thrown out balance in favor of commercial appeal for this one. Console only release + star wars characters + anime characters = lets make it fun for everyone. Not that there's anything wrong with that for a casual like myself.

[quote name='Apossum']They've probably thrown out balance in favor of commercial appeal for this one. Console only release + star wars characters + anime characters = lets make it fun for everyone. Not that there's anything wrong with that for a casual like myself.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm with ya. I've been railing against all the guest characters and finishers and so on ... but really, there's room for a fighter less than VF/Tekken hardcore, but not quite Smash Bros./DoA casual. I'm actually more inclined to buy the game and not take it too seriously since they've been throwing all these batshit insane characters in there.

People will complain about anything. Who cares. If you think this game is going to be the next street fighter 3rd strike your retarded. This game is obviously geared towards the casuals. There will be as much tournament competition as there is for SCIII. The online ranking wont mean anything because lag. This is going to be a great game nonetheless. If your expecting a SF3s or SSBM game that will be played for years and years competivily then your fooling yourselves.

Ive already preordered the collectors edition. I cant wait to play this with my brother and friends both online and off. Sure there will be balance issues but every game has tiers.

Just take this game for what it is. A new updated soul calibur game. If you love the series you will love this game. SC2 and SC3 were both fun as hell and awesome. Do i wish they were more balanced and still played competitivly, yes of course. But they are not, and i got my many hours of enjoyment with friends and family out of both games and thats why i buy games.

I have it pre-ordered as well and really look forward to it. I'm just not happy with the casual direction the entire series has seem to gone. it went from heavy depth to "let me hold your hand".

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I have it pre-ordered as well and really look forward to it. I'm just not happy with the casual direction the entire series has seem to gone. it went from heavy depth to "let me hold your hand".[/quote]
with the exception of the bonus characters in SC2 there really hasn't been any casual direction and the depth has been the same.

yes, SC3 console was buggy, but almost everyone i've met who made that comment doesn't even know how to do the bugs or what they were... and most characters with VC cancels weren't even considered top anyway.

as for balance the best way to deal with it is to release it and let it get playtested in the real world and patch it. i don't care if there are 50 characters in the game and if they're canon or not, but it'll be fun to play as all of them.

i seriously don't get the hate anymore as far as "gameplay balance" when it's not even out. or when none of you guys were good enough in the previous SCs to where it actually mattered. or people hating because it's seemingly geared towards casuals. well, SSBM was geared towards casuals and it's one of the deepest games around, and that was complete accident just like all the other fighting games.

Is there like, hard evidence of the gameplay being shallow? Or is that just the vibe people are getting based on the character lineup?

I haven't been following the game's progress that closely... all I really know is that they added those instant-kill moves (which are fine IMO, since SC has always had ring-outs, which are effectively "instant kills" anyway).

Still it's kinda sad when the close to earliest game in a series holds the best gameplay and balance.

With SC the series hasn't gotten better with each one, but slightly worse, usually emphasizing what was bad about the earlier one. SCII was worse than SC, and SCIII was worse than SCII. I haven't felt that the series is reevaluating itself and looking at what made it good to start with. When Tekken 4 came out it was considered a large turd for the series, and with Tekken 5 the Namco Tekken dev team intentionally went back and looked at what made Tekken good and how T4 fucked it up.

ie. to cut out all the bull I'm saying, The only improvements so far in all SC games have been graphics and modes. I'm waiting for it to happen in the gameplay department now.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Is there like, hard evidence of the gameplay being shallow? Or is that just the vibe people are getting based on the character lineup?

I haven't been following the game's progress that closely... all I really know is that they added those instant-kill moves (which are fine IMO, since SC has always had ring-outs, which are effectively "instant kills" anyway).[/QUOTE]

There is no evidence of unbalanced gameplay at all. People just see, ZOMG STAR WARS DUN BELONG!!!!!!!! and ZOMG CHARACTERS FROM THE SAME DESIGNER WHO DID ANIME BEFORE NOOOO!!!! and they just think its the cool thing online to hate on star wars and anime.

Me personally i HATE the fact that star wars is in the game, and i HATE that they are putting some anime'ish characters that look out of place in the game (angol, schez). But what i do LOVE is MORE CHARACTERS! If the game came out with 20 canon characters thats cool. But now its coming out with 20 canon characters plus like 10 more bonus characters. How the fuck is having more people to play as, new looks, new moves, new weapons, new styles a bad thing? Will most of them suck? Probably. BUT DONT fuckING USE THEM THEN.

I dont like nightmare/siegfrieds style of fighting or weapons so i dont use them. My brother likes nightmare so he uses him. I'm not gonna hate on him for it though.

Most people that are complaining like rolentlessrolento i think just love the soul calibur series too much. They dont want it to become a joke fighting game like DOA is. I do to. I want SC to be up in the ranks and respected like the name street fighter gets. I dont want fucking aliens and shit in my soul calibur universe. But the fact of the matter is, ITS TOO LATE FOR SC4. They are in and now we have to live with it.

I for one am happy. Bring on a character roster to rival MvC2.

I agree that, even for me, it's not right to judge the balance since it has yet to played really.

It's just sad to say that it comes off as not as deep as it could be.

[quote name='sleepy180']There is no evidence of unbalanced gameplay at all. People just see, ZOMG STAR WARS DUN BELONG!!!!!!!! and ZOMG CHARACTERS FROM THE SAME DESIGNER WHO DID ANIME BEFORE NOOOO!!!! and they just think its the cool thing online to hate on star wars and anime.

Me personally i HATE the fact that star wars is in the game, and i HATE that they are putting some anime'ish characters that look out of place in the game (angol, schez). But what i do LOVE is MORE CHARACTERS! If the game came out with 20 canon characters thats cool. But now its coming out with 20 canon characters plus like 10 more bonus characters. How the fuck is having more people to play as, new looks, new moves, new weapons, new styles a bad thing? Will most of them suck? Probably. BUT DONT fuckING USE THEM THEN.

I dont like nightmare/siegfrieds style of fighting or weapons so i dont use them. My brother likes nightmare so he uses him. I'm not gonna hate on him for it though.

Most people that are complaining like rolentlessrolento i think just love the soul calibur series too much. They dont want it to become a joke fighting game like DOA is. I do to. I want SC to be up in the ranks and respected like the name street fighter gets. I dont want fucking aliens and shit in my soul calibur universe. But the fact of the matter is, ITS TOO LATE FOR SC4. They are in and now we have to live with it.

I for one am happy. Bring on a character roster to rival MvC2.[/QUOTE]

314ywpl.jpg

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Still it's kinda sad when the close to earliest game in a series holds the best gameplay and balance.
ie. to cut out all the bull I'm saying, The only improvements so far in all SC games have been graphics and modes. I'm waiting for it to happen in the gameplay department now.[/quote]
A friend of mine racked up a 100-win streak at Anime Expo in SC2. He went to nationals. He also went for SC3, and I couldn't beat him at that either.

There's always been depth. I don't see how SC is better than SC2 or 3.

I'll still play the shit out of SCIV, just like I did with SCIII and the rest of the Soul series. I'm going to feel like a total nerd/perv when I'm Vader, force choking some chicks with big tits. . .

Any world on character customization? I'm fine with just being able to change colors like SCIII.

[quote name='kainzero']A friend of mine racked up a 100-win streak at Anime Expo in SC2. He went to nationals. He also went for SC3, and I couldn't beat him at that either.

There's always been depth. I don't see how SC is better than SC2 or 3.[/quote]

Hahah, Anime Expo...

But I agree. People look at SC with such nostalgic rose-tinted glasses, when in actuality the system in SCII was more smooth, in-depth, and well-balanced.

True. To me, SCII was the pinnacle. Plus, it was great importing it for GC and playing it 6 months before the US release. :)

Two of my friends, who are at most casual fighter players, got hardcore into SCII. They didn't really care for SCIII though. . .

[quote name='B:L']Hahah, Anime Expo...

But I agree. People look at SC with such nostalgic rose-tinted glasses, when in actuality the system in SCII was more smooth, in-depth, and well-balanced.[/quote]
hey, that does mean that you're beating average people consistently. =)

i keep telling you this and you keep asking me "who is it" and i say it's "orochi" and then you never say anything back. =)

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
Any world on character customization? I'm fine with just being able to change colors like SCIII.[/QUOTE]

yeah, there's still character customization but with the added twist of stat changing and abilities.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Two of my friends, who are at most casual fighter players, got hardcore into SCII. They didn't really care for SCIII though. . .[/QUOTE]

Sad to say, but I found that the main reason this is true is because of Link. Man I hate that bastard, not for being in the game, but just all the fanboyism associated with him.

While looking at the new batch of screenshots, I realized that when the game actually starts all I see are sparks, unblocked lows, GIs, combos and juggles, frame adv/disadv, dashing in-and-out, guard breaking and guessing throws.

T&A only appears to me when I play around with the camera, read articles online, or in the beginning when they yell stuff at each other.

My favorite thing about the new screens is that it looks like Ashlotte is some kind of robot. Check out the gears and metal joints. Is it too much to hope that she'll make some Iron Man clanging sounds when she walks or gets hit?

bread's done
Back