Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SteveGo']Um, it ended yesterday.[/QUOTE]

No, the summer sale ended today. As far as I know, they have said nothing about ending the daily deals.

Also, if anyone wants one, the packs are all still up and at their discounted rates, as are a VERY few of the games. I doubt anyone is THAT last minute of a shopper, but I thought it was interesting that the packs are still up, for the moment at least.

[quote name='sp8001']Yea, I'm sure a daily deal will pop up within the next hour or so for those of you who would like to inflict more pain on your wallet ;)[/QUOTE]

Actually, now it looks like the packs still being on sale was not a mistake, and that THAT is the daily deal. Kind of sucks, but not surprising.

I was contemplating The Witcher 2 up until the last minute and afterwards....finally decided it against it since I bought plenty of other games on the cheap during this sale and I'm hoping in the coming months it will go down further than the $34 they listed it for since it's coming out on 360.

After all that, Steam still offers one last round of publisher packs. Have you no mercy Steam? Rape the wallet raw and now ask for mooore? lol, actually I don't see any too interesting, but someone will. Someone will. I just hope the poor soul didn't spend much on the dailies to make it worthwhile.

[quote name='hal']Did it ever occur to you that some of us already own most of the games you just bought? Or maybe looked and decided against them? Congrats on finally picking them up though. Should be fun.[/QUOTE]

I call bullshit. You're just making excuses at this point. Most of you do not own even 5% of the games I listed. And to be frank, my list purchased was far more varied than the games I was initially pimping, making sure that I hit up games of every genre.

It took a lot of time running recommendations of games against Metacritic, GameRankings, Youtube, and other sources, in order to sort out the trash from the worthy purchases, and I think people were either too lazy or stupid to do that. Easier to buy a known quantity than Google Search and read about a game you've never heard of.

Meh. I guess you can call me a Hipster Gamer who likes to be educated about his purchases.

*Sigh* Okay ... So a final tally of the games I got; mind you, I have been waiting for this sale for quite a while now (I'm too ashamed to list prices, I'm sure it's near $200 though). Here we go...

AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
Alien Breed 2: Assault (free)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
BioShock 2
BIT.TRIP BEAT
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Call of Duty: Black Ops DLC
Cities XL 2011
Dead Space 2
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY
F1 2010
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas DLC
Frozen Synapse
Garshasp: The Monster Slayer
Hitman: Blood Money
I-Fluid
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
Lume
Magicka + DLC
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness E1
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness E2
Portal 2 - The Final Hours
R.U.S.E.
Risen
Sanctum
Section 8: Prejudice
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
Solar 2
Test Drive Unlimited 2
The Tiny Bang Story
Toki Tori
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 Retribution
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
X3: Terran Conflict
Zen Bound 2

I scored 39 tickets and avoided all publisher packs. I just own half the games in all of them so they've always been a bad deal for me. Anyone else abuse their wallet more than me? I'm curious to hear.
On a side note, if you want to play any of these with me, just add me on steam :)

There wasn't much in this sale for me as I owned most of the games they put on deep discount and those I didn't, I had no interest in owning. My haul was two games: Darksiders and Fate of the World.

Both have been pretty good and considering I paid 9.99 for both games combined, I am happy with how far my dollar went in the sale despite not getting a ton like in previous steam sales.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Hopefully, by then you'll have found a way to pull that stick out. If you haven't noticed, people are still discussing last minute purchases. Others, meanwhile, have already spent their budget. And many of us already have several of the games that you believe yourself so cool for having purchased just now.

Anyways, last night I caved and picked up the Broken Sword and Fallout packs for another $16 bucks total. I'm officially done now with a grand total of about $120.[/QUOTE]

What I see is the majority of people posting their hauls with 95%-100% of the games listed being solely those that were in the daily deals. Only a handful of people bothered to look at anything past the Steam front page. The title of this site is apt. A majority of people certainly don't bother to be "Informed Ass Gamers".

Anyway, I plan on finish a majority of the games I've picked up by winter and I'll have a more thorough discussion of what was worth buying and what purchases I regret by then. Hopefully, I can convince some people to look past their comfort zone by then.

I'm a little annoyed at myself.

There were roughly 7-8 games I wanted to buy and almost pulled the trigger on, but decided not to.

And NOW my fiance is taking the 360 over since Sims 3 is having buggy issues with Generations, and I didn't buy shit to play on my pc.

Sigh.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']What I see is the majority of people posting their hauls with 95%-100% of the games listed being solely those that were in the daily deals. Only a handful of people bothered to look at anything past the Steam front page. The title of this site is apt. A majority of people certainly don't bother to be "Informed Ass Gamers".

Anyway, I plan on finish a majority of the games I've picked up by winter and I'll have a more thorough discussion of what was worth buying and what purchases I regret by then. Hopefully, I can convince some people to look past their comfort zone by then.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much that, rather that the sales percentages for games not on sale were just disappointing overall. I've seen better sales on a lot of them.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']What I see is the majority of people posting their hauls with 95%-100% of the games listed being solely those that were in the daily deals. Only a handful of people bothered to look at anything past the Steam front page. The title of this site is apt. A majority of people certainly don't bother to be "Informed Ass Gamers".

Anyway, I plan on finish a majority of the games I've picked up by winter and I'll have a more thorough discussion of what was worth buying and what purchases I regret by then. Hopefully, I can convince some people to look past their comfort zone by then.[/QUOTE]

I looked at your haul and I own at least 75% of the games you purchased. So, congrats on buying some good games... however, you don't have to be a jerk and make blanket statements about how everyone here is so inferior to your acumen for purchasing 'worthy' games.

Although, what does it say about me that I owned most of your list before this sale and got them for cheaper prices than they appeared during this sale? ;)

lol why are there people trying to compare how well they did in the steam sale? what are you all a bunch of chicks? the steam sale is great for everyone, no need to ruin summer camp by fighting about it after the fact

and does no one know who sir roderick thinks he's dating?

[quote name='Therapy']And just why are you so butthurt about it?

BTW did you buy the Stronghold Pack? If not then STFU and begone. Stronghold is awesome and you and your huge list are not.

See how rediculous that ^ sounds? Now look at your own post and go shame yourself.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I looked it up the Stronghold pack based upon on the recommendations posted here and GAF. I just hit the end of my budget at that point and decided on the Paradox Fantasy Pack as it offered me more games, reviewed on the same level as the Stronghold Collection, and was cheaper.

Anyway, have you played the games before? Could you tell me more about the nuances about the games? I am genuinely interested in grabbing the Stronghold games come Winter as I've heard they're quite interesting.

[quote name='ExplodingRat']I'm a little annoyed at myself.

There were roughly 7-8 games I wanted to buy and almost pulled the trigger on, but decided not to.

And NOW my fiance is taking the 360 over since Sims 3 is having buggy issues with Generations, and I didn't buy shit to play on my pc.

Sigh.[/QUOTE]

You can still buy the publisher packs.

[quote name='avwjase']I looked at your haul and I own at least 75% of the games you purchased. So, congrats on buying some good games... however, you don't have to be a jerk and make blanket statements about how everyone here is so inferior to your acumen for purchasing 'worthy' games.

Although, what does it say about me that I owned most of your list before this sale and got them for cheaper prices than they appeared during this sale? ;)[/QUOTE]

What does it say? That we should do some co-op gaming. :p

What is your steam ID? PM me.

That and I'm going to ask you next sale what else I should consider.

This was a great sale, sadly enough though, only items I managed to pick up were Fallout 3; GOTY Edition, Deus Ex, Garry's Mod (gift for my friend), and the Penny Arcade Adventures Pack (great price I thought). I wish Morrowind had dropped to like 5 bucks (I haven't played it in years...)

[quote name='Ansé Solis']I call bullshit. You're just making excuses at this point. Most of you do not own even 5% of the games I listed. And to be frank, my list purchased was far more varied than the games I was initially pimping, making sure that I hit up games of every genre.

It took a lot of time running recommendations of games against Metacritic, GameRankings, Youtube, and other sources, in order to sort out the trash from the worthy purchases, and I think people were either too lazy or stupid to do that. Easier to buy a known quantity than Google Search and read about a game you've never heard of.

Meh. I guess you can call me a Hipster Gamer who likes to be educated about his purchases.[/QUOTE]

You're not being a hipster, you're being an elitist asshole.

I'd rather buy my indie games at full price so that the developers get the most money rather than the fractions that they'd receive during a sale.

I have a mantra that I stick to whenever someone chastises people for their playing habits: "As soon as you start paying for my games I'll start playing them the way that you want." Funny how I've never been taken up on that offer.

People spending their own money can spend it on something noble or shove it up their ass for all I care. It's their fucking money.

I totally agree that people should step outside of their comfort zone and give the smaller indie stuff a shot but you being vitriolic about it only causes people to run away from the very types of games which you champion.

Some of you guys are justifying my blanket statement that PC gamers are just the WORST. (Yes I'm aware that having recently started to buy some PC games that technically I am also a PC gamer :))

What's with the pointless elitism in this thread? And "post your haul" posts are meaningless. Hey you know those games that were on sale and we all talked about to death?

Yeah?

I bought some of those!

[quote name='ZForce915']Some of you guys are justifying my blanket statement that PC gamers are just the WORST. (Yes I'm aware that having recently started to buy some PC games that technically I am also a PC gamer :))

What's with the pointless elitism in this thread? And "post your haul" posts are meaningless. Hey you know those games that were on sale and we all talked about to death?

Yeah?

I bought some of those![/QUOTE]

Post your hauls are done after the sale is over. It (should) accomplishes two things:

1. Shows others what games you thought were interesting/worth picking up.

2. Continues the topic by opening discussion on said games you picked up.

[quote name='vlv723']And just like that, everything is back to normal. =([/QUOTE]

Thank goodness. I definitely needed no more temptations.

[quote name='ZForce915']What's with the pointless elitism in this thread? And "post your haul" posts are meaningless. Hey you know those games that were on sale and we all talked about to death?

Yeah?

I bought some of those![/QUOTE]

It's called being in a community, my friend. You know, talking and sharing stuff. Look it up.

The "haul" posts are very common at the end of these massive steam sales. If you plan on following more steam sales you better get used to them.

I enjoy them. I get to see what type of gamers other cheap asses are. That kind of stuff interests me.

Saw a lot of people bite on Jamestown... but not nearly enough :(... Best indie game on steam imho.

[quote name='sp8001']The "haul" posts are very common at the end of these massive steam sales. If you plan on following more steam sales you better get used to them.

I enjoy them. I get to see what type of gamers other cheap asses are. That kind of stuff interests me.[/QUOTE]

I agree - it helps reassure me that my eclectic taste in gaming doesn't make me crazy, but part of the norm.

I generally seek out the best games in any given genre and play them. The "haul" posts also help me identify with other folks on the forum and open my eyes to new games (i.e. if I see somebody pick up a bunch of games I loved - I can assume we have similar tastes in gaming, and I'd be apt to investigate the other purchases if I have not heard of them).

Wow, this thread has taken a strange turn.

Anyway: my haul (prices rounded, where I can remember them)

Capsized - $5
Commander Ken Complete Pack - ~ $3.50
Magicka Complete Pack - $8.50
Terraria 4-pack - $7.50 (glad I bit on that one!)

Not too much, just what I was really interested in. My last (first) Steam sale was crazy.

[quote name='utopianmachine']It does seem like there's a bit of a bite in here today.[/QUOTE]

It's all the empty wallets and full backlogs.

[quote name='Narcisstalker']I'd rather buy my indie games at full price so that the developers get the most money rather than the fractions that they'd receive during a sale.

I have a mantra that I stick to whenever someone chastises people for their playing habits: "As soon as you start paying for my games I'll start playing them the way that you want." Funny how I've never been taken up on that offer.

People spending their own money can spend it on something noble or shove it up their ass for all I care. It's their fucking money.

I totally agree that people should step outside of their comfort zone and give the smaller indie stuff a shot but you being vitriolic about it only causes people to run away from the very types of games which you champion.[/QUOTE]

I think your mantra is a rather effective attempt at double-dipping on this position in that I shouldn't be allowed to comment on the playing habits of people. However, the simple truth is that by posting on a public forum, people leave their playing habits open to critique. That's just how it is.

Furthermore, your mantra is bullshit. It's a nice way of getting me to reflect on my brash approach to this "indie game" conversation I've been gloating and ranting about. If I were to buy you a game, and I yelled at you to play it a certain way, you would simply not play the game just so you wouldn't want to deal with being yelled at. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

But, there is a fundamental difference between buying what you want and ignoring what you aren't familiar with and what I'm going off on about is the difference between the two. I stand by my assertion that the majority of people buying were blissfully ignorant of their options and the fact is that they shouldn't be. The deeper issue reflects how much advertising affects purchasing habits and whether it's a factor people should ignore as that was the primary driving factor behind what people were purchasing and not "what they wanted".

[quote name='Vegan']You're not being a hipster, you're being an elitist asshole.[/QUOTE]

That's just your insecurity speaking.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']
That's just your insecurity speaking.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, it's my security with myself that allows me to call you out on your "indier-than-thou" bullshit in here.

[quote name='unopepito06']Wow, this thread has taken a strange turn.[/QUOTE]

case_of_the_mondays.jpg

But seriously, I'm sure it's the end of the Steam sale. Excitement is over and possible regret has set in.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']I think your mantra is a rather effective attempt at double-dipping on this position in that I shouldn't be allowed to comment on the playing habits of people. However, the simple truth is that by posting on a public forum, people leave their playing habits open to critique. That's just how it is.

Furthermore, your mantra is bullshit. It's a nice way of getting me to reflect on my brash approach to this "indie game" conversation I've been gloating and ranting about. If I were to buy you a game, and I yelled at you to play it a certain way, you would simply not play the game just so you wouldn't want to deal with being yelled at. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

But, there is a fundamental difference between buying what you want and ignoring what you aren't familiar with and what I'm going off on about is the difference between the two. I stand by my assertion that the majority of people buying were blissfully ignorant of their options and the fact is that they shouldn't be. The deeper issue reflects how much advertising affects purchasing habits and whether it's a factor people should ignore as that was the primary driving factor behind what people were purchasing and not "what they wanted".

That's just your insecurity speaking.[/QUOTE]

I think the problem that people have with your statements is that because they didnt buy any of the games you consider good, that they did not know about these games. I however went through every page of the games on sale, look at each one and looked that the gameplay, went to the forums of the ones that interested me and while there are a ton more games on my wish list, I didnt buy all the games I thought had a good premise. Money, time, and preference lead people to different conclusions, and purchases. I think that some may not have looked that far past the daily deals, and that may be due to lack of interest or they only wanted to get a daily deal. I do thin that the majority that read this forum looked into the alternative games that were recommended and found them lacking in interest for them, or they bought them. To say that because people didnt buy them is because they are uninformed, or uncaring about indie games is a broad assumption, and a incorrect one in the majority of cases. Im glad that you found games you love off the beaten path, I have found some too; however dont generalize about other people and their motivations, they never match yours.

Also remember what happens when you assume...........you make an estimation based on conjecture (what did you think I was going to say?:D)

The more important point is that your approach is damning your cause rather than serving it.

If there's one thing that I've learned about getting people to try new games it's that you give them a gentle nudge but once they try it and don't like it then you leave it alone or they'll likely never try your recommendations again.

On a less 'my indie cred is way more indie than your indie cred' topic...

I wonder when they'll announce who won the prize raffles.

What I see is the majority of people posting their hauls with 95%-100% of the games listed being solely those that were in the daily deals.
Did you buy Cities in Motion? No? Step out of your comfort zone. Perhaps you could become as big of a giant elitist gaming $$$ as I am.

I bought Railworks and all DLC at full price ironically. Bow to my Steam greatness. Daily deals and front pages? Only for the poor uneducated gamers.

[quote name='Dalrint']On a less 'my indie cred is way more indie than your indie cred' topic...

I wonder when they'll announce who won the prize raffles.[/QUOTE]

Not until August at the earliest.

[quote name='Spokker']I bought Railworks and all DLC at full price ironically. Bow to my Steam greatness. Daily deals and front pages? Only for the poor uneducated gamers.[/QUOTE]

The messiah has come.

Man, I always hate the end of a Steam sale. Now what will I check at 1:00 everyday? Also, a lot of people bought a ton of indie game packs last winter and hence didn't buy them now. Just throwing that info out there for everyone. I really hope Steam puts out more indie packs this Black Friday/Holiday sale!

Hm, 1st time I see a troll in these forums... then again I don't browse here too often :p.

Funny because his gaming list is very similar to daily deals + checking 1 or 2 sites recommendations of games in the sales, I'm not hipster in any way, and even I was able to check those games and see if I wanted them or not, w/o the need of doing major research, so those games aren't really "hip" or "hidden", people nowadays just tend to enjoy the pretty, and the daily deals are chosen so to appeal to the broader audience, specting them to fail to do so (i.e "hip" titles attracting the people as much as the daily deals) is just stupid, ergo, having people only buy daily deals is no big deal, and having bought something other than daily deals isnt a big deal either, so get over yourself and go work so you have income for the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back