Street Fighter IV PS3 Official Discussion Thread

I need to start playing this again. I haven't played it in several weeks. I'm sort of interested in getting that championship mode soon then maybe some cags could get together. ;)

[quote name='jman619']I need to start playing this again. I haven't played it in several weeks. I'm sort of interested in getting that championship mode soon then maybe some cags could get together. ;)[/QUOTE]

A CAG tournament is definitely a given.

[quote name='jman619']I need to start playing this again. I haven't played it in several weeks. I'm sort of interested in getting that championship mode soon then maybe some cags could get together. ;)[/quote]

theres already a cag tournament, once a month.

we're on our 2nd one.

Wong won Nationals, but Daigo won the exhibition between Wong, Iyo, and Poongko. Prize was a SFIV Arcade cabinet. Might've been some other stuff, not sure.

[quote name='Bavgate']Wong won Nationals, but Daigo won the exhibition between Wong, Iyo, and Poongko. Prize was a SFIV Arcade cabinet. Might've been some other stuff, not sure.[/QUOTE]

You forgot the big, honkin' trophy and over-sized, novelty check.

justinwong_withtropy.jpg

[quote name='dman1869']By any chance do any of u CAGs have a MAS arcade stick for the PS2 that u use for SF IV on the PS3? Is so, does it work 1st off, and 2nd, is there any lag? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Anyone?

Wow, a cabinet? I thought he just won the trip for two to EVO. That's a nice extra.

Saw a guy in the parking lot carrying a TE stick he won in the raffle. Definitely did not think about jumping him. :whistle2:\"

[quote name='metaly']Wow, a cabinet? I thought he just won the trip for two to EVO. That's a nice extra.

Saw a guy in the parking lot carrying a TE stick he won in the raffle. Definitely did not think about jumping him. :whistle2:\"[/quote]

:rofl:
Well I remember hearing on the news about a heinous video game merchandise related crime involving someone being viciously beaten in a parking lot. You know, I'm not saying but I think I'm saying that it might have been someone else.

[quote name='Ecofreak']You forgot the big, honkin' trophy and over-sized, novelty check.

justinwong_withtropy.jpg
[/quote]

Forgot about that. I just remember before we left that one of the Capcom reps had that giant check in his hands and was running somewhere with it. Not sure where to.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bavgate']Forgot about that. I just remember before we left that one of the Capcom reps had that giant check in his hands and was running somewhere with it. Not sure where to.[/QUOTE]

Probably to the nearest ATM to see if it's fit in its deposit slot before anyone notices he's gone.

[quote name='metaly']SF4 national finals were crazyyyy. Some guy even has videos up already. Daigo VS Japanese champ Iyo was definitely the best match of the night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSiOyDKgp5Q

And then whenever Justin Wong did Rufus's ultra, the crowd would all do the last motion. Awesome (ultra starts at ~2:00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfQdA0HfdOU#t=2m00s

Took some horrible quality camera phone photos (gallery and commentary here) but I'm sure all the blogs will have better stuff up tomorrow. Here's some of the stuff I picked up instead:
IMG_11370.jpg

Brought my copy of SF4 to get signed by Ono -- they weren't giving those out. :)
[/quote]

these matches make you really step your street fighter game up and the part that makes me sad is that I know I was a better SF player when I was younger. :( age does that to you. I wish I could train with these guys for a day. experience counts for so much

[quote name='decon']Is there going to be a full costume DLC pack end of April?[/quote]

I remember hearing something about this myself. I think the full costume pack should be available for sale with the championship pack.

@furashu great games man. Your Balrog is great. Zangief just has an advantage over him. anytime you want matches hit me up.

maybe I'm still young, but I'm sure that I'm better now since back in the SF2T days I didn't even think of doing combos..the only one I did by accident was the uppercut (nonsrk) + fireball from inputting SRK incorrectly.

I finally picked up a stick and I still cannot for the life of me do Guile/vega's ultra correctly, that and hadokens don't come out as consistently as I'd like. Looks like I need to undo years of pad fighting habits +the 45hrs I have in SFIV, 10 hours? 20?

@jterp. I have been playing street fighter since '92. lol. and I will say the game changed a lot the moment the dragon punch was vulnerable on the way up. I remember the days of just controlling space and punishing people who jumped. poor zangief back in those days. lol

when I was younger I couldn't do a dragon punch for the life of me until I got the game at home. now I can pull them off no problem. I started on a stick though thats why it will be easier for me to convert back to a stick.

once you get use to a stick though you will pull out your moves more consistently and not worry about thumb burn.

I will say it now when the championship dlc is available I will do whatever I can to help organize a game night for sf4. I don't wanna step on anyones toes so youy guys let me know what to do.

@jterp. It took me a day or so to get used to playing with a stick. But this was during SF4 release, and I probably played like 10 hours on the second day I had it (sick day FTW!). :)

I'll be down for some CAG fight nights.

Has anyone else noticed a trend from online being mostly Ken players to now Ryu players where once their Ultra meter is built up, they just turtle and wait to do the lp.srk >> ultra combo on your jump in?

Almost as infuriating as Kenpachi's 'gief. D:

lol that reminds me..stuck on time attack 11, that one where you start with 50 seconds, just can't get past gief..that includes using gief + cheese tactics lol.

Spamming lariats with 'gief can't get you through it?

Might want to switch to the 3K lariat to get the first knockdown, then spam 3P lariats just out of SPD range FTW.

@jterp use gief's cross up when he does the lariat when you jump. either down and hard punch or down and low kick. either one will get though and at worst trade hits with him.

@ohvermie you know I use more people than zangief. :p

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']
@ohvermie you know I use more people than zangief. :p[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but only Zangief makes me angry. But I guess that's my fault for playing low damage output characters. Like shooting peas at a tank and then getting crushed under its treads.

[quote name='jterp7']I finally picked up a stick and I still cannot for the life of me do Guile/vega's ultra correctly, that and hadokens don't come out as consistently as I'd like. Looks like I need to undo years of pad fighting habits +the 45hrs I have in SFIV, 10 hours? 20?[/QUOTE]

someone posted ( i think inf) a while back in this thread a link to youtube videoes showing an easy way to do guile's super/ultra.

DarkKenpachi - you know where i get a list of bread and butter combos and 2in1's. i remember reading that you said most people dont use the training combos. my problem is that i dont know what should link, esp for gief.

hmm I should probably watch that over..I was still using the pad at that point. I think I remember the guy saying down back then tiger knee motion.

[quote name='ohvermie']Yeah, but only Zangief makes me angry. But I guess that's my fault for playing low damage output characters. Like shooting peas at a tank and then getting crushed under its treads.[/quote]

lol. funny thing is I tend to only pick gief when I get annoyed myself. Though I am more of a flexible fighter and tend to react upon who my opponent picks. Though I will admit I have to relearn a few fighters again and take time to perfect my gen and abel.

[quote name='enufs8d']someone posted ( i think inf) a while back in this thread a link to youtube videoes showing an easy way to do guile's super/ultra.

DarkKenpachi - you know where i get a list of bread and butter combos and 2in1's. i remember reading that you said most people dont use the training combos. my problem is that i dont know what should link, esp for gief.[/quote]

yeah most people don't use those training combos nor do they have imagination to pull off other combos. I got a few combos I love to use that I never see anybody use but me.

ok back to the help: check gamefaqs for each character for all street fighter games and most combos are still the same
1. sf is like driving, once you get use to distance you will be a better judge at combos. example. if you jump in deep you have a variety of options to choose from. but if you jump in far you only have 2 options. this is easier to explain with pictures.

2. easiest way to combo from the start is to just do a normal move into a super move. ex. medium punch into super move. combos like that are universal for everyone. best thing about them though is that once you get comfortable with doing that then you can add in an extra hit in the middle and add in an ultra or ex move after the super move hits.

3. as far as gief goes he is a timing character with his combos like (cross up hard punch, jab jab jab ex green fist) and a lot of his good ones revolve around the green palm and the spd. I don't use the spd ones because I feel as though they are cheap(I know I know lol) but they are very good and eat away at damage.
and remember when you use gief treat him like a tank. take one to give one. never be afraid to trade hits with him. (most of the time you will win) oh yeah blocking zangief's lariat is stronger than most characters jab punches.

here is the combo video for gief. don't worry if you can't pull all of them off, take any combo that knocks people down and base your moves on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Du...0EC28460&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=50

add me also. kenpachiexodia

also for everybody: which moves do you like doing but can never pull off successfully in a fight? for me it is zangief's stomach crunch.

So any peeps in the CA area going to the Street Fighter art show at Gallery Nucleus (since it seems like a bunch went out to the GS Finals)?
http://www.gallerynucleus.com/gallery/exhibition/183
Guess they're doing a tourney too on opening night.

Youtube link to Guile's super/ultra motion inputs done EASY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m3wc-3_vCM&feature=related

lol. funny thing is I tend to only pick gief when I get annoyed myself. Though I am more of a flexible fighter and tend to react upon who my opponent picks. Though I will admit I have to relearn a few fighters again and take time to perfect my gen and abel.
I try not to counter pick. Or do you mean react vs opponent playstyle. I need to just hunker down and just play player matches and do nothing but pick a single character. I did that with Chun Li for a couple nights, and it improved my game with her tons. I just need to figure out who I want as a second, I've been hovering towards Sakura or Ken, and I'd like to become competent with Boxer, but I always just slide into relying on LP pokes too much with him and it's just really amateur looking.

[quote name='ohvermie']
I try not to counter pick. Or do you mean react vs opponent playstyle. I need to just hunker down and just play player matches and do nothing but pick a single character. I did that with Chun Li for a couple nights, and it improved my game with her tons. I just need to figure out who I want as a second, I've been hovering towards Sakura or Ken, and I'd like to become competent with Boxer, but I always just slide into relying on LP pokes too much with him and it's just really amateur looking.[/quote]

I gotta get out of the habit of counter picking myself. though I will admit these days I only use gief and blanka to annoy people. kinda funny because they use to both be my main characters at one time.

your chun li is good. inspires me to play with her myself actually. though I am starting to lean towards rose myself..

who would you say are your five best characters in no particular order

Best 5 is kind of tricky because I am good with maybe 2 characters and the rest are just applying universal principals and special move spam fests. I would have to go with Blanka, Honda, Chun, Sakura, and Guile.

I have issues comboing properly with charge characters which is probably why I do decent with Blanka (guy barely has any combos). Not sure if it's an online issue where the lag eats my charge or if I just don't buffer charges soon enough. I think to get my charge character play up to fighting strength I need to get into the always charging mindset.

[quote name='ohvermie']Best 5 is kind of tricky because I am good with maybe 2 characters and the rest are just applying universal principals and special move spam fests. I would have to go with Blanka, Honda, Chun, Sakura, and Guile.

I have issues comboing properly with charge characters which is probably why I do decent with Blanka (guy barely has any combos). Not sure if it's an online issue where the lag eats my charge or if I just don't buffer charges soon enough. I think to get my charge character play up to fighting strength I need to get into the always charging mindset.[/quote]

blanka has a lot of combos actually, I just stick to 3 and 4 hit ones though.

my 5 best in no order are: zangief, e honda, blanka, ryu, and toss up between ken and akuma though other people may disagree on who I am good with.

@RR we gotta get a couple of matches in. hit me up next time you wanna play street fighter.

my bests in order are........................
blanka, balrog, bison, guile, gief(lariat + poke!)
i donno how to use circle characters.

im having problems being able to attack with balrog,

any tips? cant.... dash in cause ill get poked...
if i jump in ill get some AA.

[quote name='Furashu']any tips? cant.... dash in cause ill get poked...
if i jump in ill get some AA.[/QUOTE]at this point the only advice I can give you is keep playing and build experience.

dashing in and jumping in always have their risks... but being a better player means being better on a psychological level, feeling confident that you can do a move with a low risk of getting countered.

[quote name='dman1869']Nobody uses a MAS stick here??? Does a PS2 stick work with an adapter to the stick?[/quote]

I do indeed use my beloved MAS stick. The PS2 adapter works just fine with it. Buy with confidence.

[quote name='JEKKI']at this point the only advice I can give you is keep playing and build experience.

dashing in and jumping in always have their risks... but being a better player means being better on a psychological level, feeling confident that you can do a move with a low risk of getting countered.[/quote]

you gonna be on later tonight? because I always get better when I play you. Kinda like I am watching game film and I can learn to analyze were I am making most of my mistakes.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm just glad I don't jump in anymore.[/quote]

Everybody jumps in. just some more than others. though I haven't played you in long enough time your whole fighting style could have changed. so whenever your down we can go a few rounds.

Rog's headbutt is good for closing distance. And jumping in is viable, but only if your opponent is in mid-animation of something else.

I should probably try to get some games in with Rolento. Seems like everytime he asks I am fighting someone else.

It might have more priority, but I think the recovery is longer on the headbutt and if it's blocked your right on top of your opponent because of how far forward he goes. Also it rises at a weird angle when doing the MP and HP versions. If I wanted to swat shit out of the air with Balrog, just do crouching HP, it counters most jump-ins clean.

thats so true about the headbutt. it just annoys me when I get hit by it because it looks so telegraphed. great juggle move also.

this game has so many juggle combos it is silly. I played a Gen last night and the combos he was doing were outright ridiculous.

[quote name='Bavgate']Wong won Nationals, but Daigo won the exhibition between Wong, Iyo, and Poongko. Prize was a SFIV Arcade cabinet. Might've been some other stuff, not sure.[/QUOTE]

So was Daigo not competing? Because Daigo ripped Justin Wong in one of the videos I've seen (Ryu vs Rufus)
Does Nationals mean that only people in the US can compete?

One question. Maybe it's just me, but do any of you experience input lag in this game online? Especially against opponents with 2 bars or less connection, even some 3 bars?

One good example of this is when Dhalsim teleports behind me. I know my reaction is fast enough to block appropriately, but even though my input is correct and hopefully on time, I still get hit. I tested this with a sixaxis pcb and my fighting stick 3.

I hope the input lag isn't coming from my controllers.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I do indeed use my beloved MAS stick. The PS2 adapter works just fine with it. Buy with confidence.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kuroi. I'm definitely in the market to get a PS3 now. Anyone who has 1 they're looking to sell can check out my TL.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']So was Daigo not competing? Because Daigo ripped Justin Wong in one of the videos I've seen (Ryu vs Rufus)
Does Nationals mean that only people in the US can compete?[/quote]

Nope, he wasn't competing. He was only allowed to play in the Exhibition between himself, the US Nationals champ (Justin Wong), Poongko and Iyo. Same goes for Poongko and Iyo (only allowed to play in the Exhibition). I guess it was sort of a little, "Who's the best in the world?" kinda thing.

The event was US Nationals, after all, and Daigo isn't from America.

Good games last night Rolento. It was like Saikyo training academy! Guess you weren't kidding about not jumping in and playing against a run-away Dan is actually fun (probably due to the hilarious noises he makes). :p

GG last night rolento. you have the best Dan I have ever faced. you have great timing with him. we need to play some more.

@ohvermie you down for some matches tonight?

I need more practice with my zangief. I am forcing myself to become more patient with him. last night I fought a ranked match against akuma and he was was poking away at me with fireballs. well he had over 70 percent of his energy left and I hit him with a full ultra atomic buster and it killed him. I would have been so pissed if I was that akuma. I mean I know he takes damage for no reason(his HP are like 900 or 850 if I am not mistaken) but that right there was crazy.

bread's done
Back