Street Fighter IV PS3 Official Discussion Thread

That is exactly why Zangief makes the baby jesus cry. If I had a dollar for everytime I played a Zangief and was winning by a wide margin, and only need to do like one more combo for the win, only to get slapped by the Ultra and lose 60%+ of my health. Even more frustrating because I have to play keep away and footsies for 60 seconds to get there.

I feel bad about it, but sometimes I am just tempted to just counterpick with Sagat and just standing roundhouse the guy in his small Russian head until he dies.

I might be able to squeeze some SF4 in tonight, but it's GTA night. Although last time I was playing GTA I was trying to do fireballs and dragon punches while melee fighting...

zangief is ridiculous but still he has so many negatives against him. all shotos except dan have jump priority over him period and flipping bison can just poke him to death with the head stomp. everything can be worked around though that is why I am retraining myself to be more patient with him.

that reminds me that I should play GTA4. I bought it first day played it for 2 hours never played it again. looks like imma join in on game night so I can get murdered. lol

I just got my TE and playing with a stick is way different than a pad. It's easier to pull off uppercuts but I'm having a hard time pulling off fireballs, ultras, and supers. Any advice? I can normally pull off Ryu ultras and supers on a pad but on a stick it just feel different.

[quote name='blueweltall']I just got my TE and playing with a stick is way different than a pad. It's easier to pull off uppercuts but I'm having a hard time pulling off fireballs, ultras, and supers. Any advice? I can normally pull off Ryu ultras and supers on a pad but on a stick it just feel different.[/quote]

the biggest problem your having right now is that you probably never used a stick before to play street fighter. the stick is overall better though and it is more accurate which takes getting use to. I suggest you go into practice and try to do each move 10 times straight. if you mess up start over and remember EVERYONE MESSES UP A MOVE NOW AND THEN even the great daigo and wong and whoever else the community kneels before. lol

train like a karate movie and you will get better grasshopper. (no offense I have just been waiting awhile to call someone grasshopper)

I have about 2 days with my TE stick and in training mode I noticed that I wasn't inputting the punch at the right time after the quarter motion. It'll probably take me a couple weeks to pull supers/ultras as easily as with the pad, but certain motions like guile/vega ultra and fei longs chicken wing are so easy to pull off with the stick that are just impossible with the pad.

[quote name='jterp7']I have about 2 days with my TE stick and in training mode I noticed that I wasn't inputting the punch at the right time after the quarter motion. It'll probably take me a couple weeks to pull supers/ultras as easily as with the pad, but certain motions like guile/vega ultra and fei longs chicken wing are so easy to pull off with the stick that are just impossible with the pad.[/QUOTE]

Sticks really take getting use to. I just started using a stick myself and I can pull off most the moves but sometimes I can't get the supers/ultras out in time. Also sometimes I can do a wake up attack. It probbaly is all on me and timing it. The great thing is that once you play SFIV with a stick, a controller just isn't the same anymore.
Charge characters and much easier to use. I can pull out the hooligan with Cammy at anytime. Focus Attacks Dash Cancels are harder for me though

I wish I woke up and hour or 2 earlier to get in on the TE stick. Sucks that the last time I ordered 2 they canceled one because of limited supplies. Now on the site it says 2 per person. BS.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']GG last night rolento. you have the best Dan I have ever faced. you have great timing with him. we need to play some more.[/quote]

Yeah, those were fun fights. I'm alot more comfortable with my Dan now than I use to be. I'm just glad to hear my Dan is at least decent since I have a hard time finding good Dan players to compare to.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Yeah, those were fun fights. I'm alot more comfortable with my Dan now than I use to be. I'm just glad to hear my Dan is at least decent since I have a hard time finding good Dan players to compare to.[/quote]

cause I think your the only person who really uses him without prejudice that I have encountered. all that aside though how good are you with ryu/ken/akuma? your one of the few players who for some reason I can't predict what your going to do. so whenever you want more matches let me know.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']cause I think your the only person who really uses him without prejudice that I have encountered. all that aside though how good are you with ryu/ken/akuma? your one of the few players who for some reason I can't predict what your going to do. so whenever you want more matches let me know.[/quote]

:lol: I think I'm one of the few people who really makes an effort to play more mind games than doing damage. I think that's half why I like dan since his Taunts actually help my play style a bit better.

I'm horrible with all the shotos like ryu and akuma.... I can put up a good fight with them, but i'm not too comfortable with them like I am with dan.

Fei is the only other charcter i really enjoy playing, but I never spent enough time with him to be good yet.

I'll try and be on tonight.

@rolento you are right. I need to take a few pages from your book with mind games so I can step up to the next level.

So here is a question for everybody:

Where did you learn your street fighter style from? Arcade, friends, school, etc. etc.

My style is a combination of the arcades in Atlantic City and Center City Philadelphia. I feel so old.( I remember arcades :))

I am going to say my SF style comes from playing tons of Alpha 1 & 2 with friends on PS1 throughout HS and at the arcade in college (but that was more MvC2 and Soul Cal than SF). Also, Chinatown Fair. Tic Tac Toe Chicken and ST 4 lyfe! :)

I am tempted to go down there on a weekend and try my SF4 "skills" against the crowd there. But I fear that Justin Wong will be playing and I will just get totally ass raped and embarrassed. :(

@ohvermie thats the only way to get better. take that ass whipping it will help your game so much. besides not believing in yourself is the first sign of defeat. besides it is street fighter you might get lucky and play him when he is using an off character. lol

you ever hear that phrase that a good fighter can tell how good their opponent is by how they breathe or move or something like that? (you know what I mean)

well street fighter is like that also. you can tell how good your opponent is within the first 20 seconds of a round.

I will gladly take my lumps to learn (as evidenced by our Boxer and Gief constant beatdowns), but not when there's $1 a game at stake! :)

But you're right, with online matches, I usually have a good idea of how it's going to be after the first 20 seconds (and if the round is over before 20 seconds is up, I know it's going to be a long uphill battle). Although I usually play horrid first rounds, even against people I am familiar with. I think I need to go back to best of 3 and tighten up my play instead of dicking around the first round.

the arcade makes it better though because you have that if I lose I lose my money mentality and it helps you a lot trust me. it gives you a fire that makes you a better player.

the best matches always happen in the last round though. especially to see who gets that last hit when both fighters are a breath away from losing the match.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']@rolento you are right. I need to take a few pages from your book with mind games so I can step up to the next level.

So here is a question for everybody:

Where did you learn your street fighter style from? Arcade, friends, school, etc. etc.

My style is a combination of the arcades in Atlantic City and Center City Philadelphia. I feel so old.( I remember arcades :))[/quote]

strangely I learned it from playing alot of Tekken :lol: overall I've learned it mostly from just playing alot of fighters over the years.

To be honest I've never been that good at 2D fighters.

Strange Note: You can now launch SFIV from HOME

I use to be so good at tekken then I just stopped playing, now I am average. got destroyed in the video games expo tournament. lol come tekken 6 my king will be great again.

good to hear that about home. gives me another reason to go through home every now and then.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']I use to be so good at tekken then I just stopped playing, now I am average. got destroyed in the video games expo tournament. lol come tekken 6 my king will be great again.

good to hear that about home. gives me another reason to go through home every now and then.[/quote]

when Tekken 6 hits later this year I'll be all over it like herpes on a whore.

for Home, you're better off finding a game in SFIV than in Home.

so when tekken 6 comes out rolento I already got you in mind for my first online match after I unlock everybody.

Ok room question how good is the 70 madcatz sf4 stick? I just picked it up tonight at gamestop and I haven't opened it yet, because I really would rather the 150 dollar one. but what is everyone opinion on it?

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']so when tekken 6 comes out rolento I already got you in mind for my first online match after I unlock everybody.[/quote]

same here. I'm going to eat, sleep, and drink Tekken 6

i used my friend's SE back when I didn't think I'd be getting a joystick. Like most both of us were better, initially with the pad, since we're not from the arcade age (last arcade with MvC was turned into a damn nail salon). So at that point I didn't care for it. Now that I have a TE, the first thing I realize is the SE is quiet a bit smaller, especially for the wrist rest area, and I don't have particularly big hands. It also has a nice weight to it. Considering that I have one and am just an amateur with 43hrs total, I'd say you should definitely get one.

@jterp thanks I already got it just wondering if I shoudl keep it and get the TE stick instead.

@furashu I say tuesday nights are perfect for game nights. I will co-host with you if you want.

Strangely enough with the stick I can do quarter motion's easily on the left now as opposed to the pad where going right was the easier direction. Still deciding on whether I should flick or do a precise motion like I do for the charge guys. I have to say I'm kind of annoyed that bison warp still comes out when doing the ultra sometimes.

Ugh even championship mode is broken

I play my first match against a good crimson viper who beat me first round and win. I get 203 CP.
I play my second match and win the first round with like 80% health left against an awful ryu. Second round "disconnected from player" then it tells me "Connection to PSN lost" except I'm still logged into PSN just fine.
Then I go back into championship mode and it says "since the last match didn't conclude properly you must start from the first battle"
Then again "Connection to PSN lost" despite still being very logged into PSN..

edit: just went back on after a couple hours and it worked fine. won 2 championships and ranked up G3-C :)

how do i watch my replays?

Last edited by a moderator:
SWEET!

Just entered my first tournament and WON!

As Balrog (Boxer), I beat Zangief, Akuma, and Ken. Didn't lose a single match -- this bodes will for the tournament I'll be entering tomorrow. Practicing in such situations, even if online, helps w/ my psychological preparation and calming down.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']hey ecofreak. imma add you tonight for a few matches. imma stick to my ds3 for now until I make the ultimate decision to unbox that SE stick or not.[/QUOTE]

Cool -- I should be on tonight. My nerves are a bit fried, though, after doing Tournament mode for the past hour. It's the same kinda shakiness I got when I first started playing online ranked matches. The nerves will eventually disappear after doing this for a few more days.

Bear in mind though, that first tournament may have been a fluke. For the rest of the afternoon, I got 1 Runner's Up, 2 3rd places, and several 1st round knock-outs.

Still fun though and I'm looking forward to climbing the ranks. It'll help people of similar levels really stick together -- hopefully avoid the scrub issues.

One question: Is Guile's "Double Sweep" always safe on block? I'm trying to find a way to respond w/ Boxer but nothing seems to work outside of EX something.

guile's double sweep is vulnerable after each kick. I use to smack him back after the first kick but it is just easier to block nowadays for me. if your balrog you can jab him out of the second kick if you play it right.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']guile's double sweep is vulnerable after each kick. I use to smack him back after the first kick but it is just easier to block nowadays for me. if your balrog you can jab him out of the second kick if you play it right.[/QUOTE]

I figured that, but I always seem to be in block-stun can can't get anything out. Or when I do make a move I get hit by his second sweep, or it's too late and he blocks.

I always want to punish a blocked sweep w/ my own (probably force of habit from SF II), but if the only option is a jab then I'll make do. Just gives me more incentive to master Boxer's cLpx2 ~ cLk ~ Headbutt combo. I can always do the first part but finishing w/ the headbutt is giving me some issues.

I guess after all these matches, I'm at least starting to sound like I know what I'm talking about. ;)

[quote name='brighenne']Anyone else feeling super lag in matches today? Even in matches where the latency is supposedly fine, i'm feeling a ton of input lag.[/QUOTE]

Matches have been fine for me -- in fact, I've even had a few where I have all green bars.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Matches have been fine for me -- in fact, I've even had a few where I have all green bars.[/quote]

I think they changed the way that reports the bars since i've had a few of those too.

[quote name='Ecofreak']I figured that, but I always seem to be in block-stun can can't get anything out. Or when I do make a move I get hit by his second sweep, or it's too late and he blocks.

I always want to punish a blocked sweep w/ my own (probably force of habit from SF II), but if the only option is a jab then I'll make do. Just gives me more incentive to master Boxer's cLpx2 ~ cLk ~ Headbutt combo. I can always do the first part but finishing w/ the headbutt is giving me some issues.

I guess after all these matches, I'm at least starting to sound like I know what I'm talking about. ;)[/quote]

im still practicing boxer's links, but as soon as u press LK, ur joysstick should already be going up and hitting HP.

so..... on release of the LK, u go up+hp.

hope it helps lol :)

[quote name='Furashu']im still practicing boxer's links, but as soon as u press LK, ur joysstick should already be going up and hitting HP.

so..... on release of the LK, u go up+hp.

hope it helps lol :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! I've noticed that my thumb is often still on the LK button when I go for the headbutt during a combo string so I have to clean up my inputs.

My combo reliability definitely diminishes during a round when I start to furiously mash the cLp button. :whistle2:X

just dont mash, just get into rhythm.
LP,LP,LK,Headbutt
dont go,LPLPLPLPLPLP,LKLKLKLKLK,headbutt,
the link wont work.... though u do get 5-8 hit combos that way lol!

[quote name='Furashu']just dont mash, just get into rhythm.
LP,LP,LK,Headbutt
dont go,LPLPLPLPLPLP,LKLKLKLKLK,headbutt,
the link wont work.... though u do get 5-8 hit combos that way lol![/QUOTE]

QFT -- I've learned the "Rog Rhythm" during training sessions but gotta apply it during an actual fight.

[quote name='decon']Anyone have problems viewing replays?[/QUOTE]

If you count being unable to figure out how to watch replays a problem, then count me as one such person.

@darkpenpachi

after 120 hours on the SE stick unmodded, the joystick is a bit squeaky, the buttons are less sensitive, you can't tickle the buttons anymore.

why buy a tournament stick? that shit is so ugly, just mod it, 6buttons for $24, joytick for $25, a little less than $10 for shipping, totals like 60, so 60 + 70 = 130

edit: though u can always change the artwork on the TE, though im' not sure

[quote name='anathema728']@darkpenpachi

after 120 hours on the SE stick unmodded, the joystick is a bit squeaky, the buttons are less sensitive, you can't tickle the buttons anymore.

why buy a tournament stick? that shit is so ugly, just mod it, 6buttons for $24, joytick for $25, a little less than $10 for shipping, totals like 60, so 60 + 70 = 130

edit: though u can always change the artwork on the TE, though im' not sure[/quote]

yeah I figured it was going to be that much. I need to read up on it though because after I get the replacement parts I wanna try to use the other parts and make one from scratch. everyone says it is easy so might as well try something new with left over parts.

and if the job turns out good then I can do the same and swap those parts out for sanwa parts as well.

After playing with Cammy, I pretty much ran into a wall. An opponent holding down-back owns almost all her options. And trying to bait an uppercut with Cannon Spike can only work so many times... They seriously need to buff Cammy... Whatever happened to her safe spiral arrow pressure?

@option I hit that wall with zangief this weekend. I got poked to death by a chun li, sagat, and fei long. they all know not to let me get close. I changed my style though slightly and I learned. I wish they had that video up for replay against this chun li I beat for a champtionship victory.

for cammy. you gotta start doing cannon drills from certain distances to play those games with your oppoenents. the short one works best from 3 people away. soon as they try to act, you can normally counter with a cannon drill at the moment.

we need to spar with each other. we haven't fought against each other in a while. imma look for you and the minute I see you imma invite. sorry bout last time though.

[quote name='option.iv']After playing with Cammy, I pretty much ran into a wall. An opponent holding down-back owns almost all her options. And trying to bait an uppercut with Cannon Spike can only work so many times... They seriously need to buff Cammy... Whatever happened to her safe spiral arrow pressure?[/quote]

Do the thing where you jump in and throw them.

It's like a 3/4 circle motion and a punch or a kick and then LP/LK in the air over their head

bread's done
Back