The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='erdmanski1341']What are you guys talking about using metal wire for? Those loops are the hangers. You put two nails into the wall and hang.[/QUOTE]

You are using the loops incorrectly. If you do it your way...it's hard to balance the frame.

Buy some cheap metal wire and run it thru the loops and it's easy to balance the frame.

I was not going to even go to BBV for the final clearance, thinking it was all plushies, keychains and posters, but I went today and the first store I went to I got 3 wii point cards ($2 each) and some usb drives and microSD cards both 2GB and 4GB.

Of course, now I had to keep going!

I purchased much of the same as everyone else, some books, batteries, hdmi cables, etc., but the best score for me was a 7" portable DVD player for $6.

I also picked up a Nightmare Before Xmas jenga and yatzee each $1.50.

[quote name='Midnight Express']Where is everyone finding the new / clearance video games? Mine has new video games for sale in the section with the rentals but no mention of them being clearanced.[/QUOTE]

The ones I came across were behind the counter. But if you saw some in a different spot I would price check them...doesn't hurt and you might score pretty big.

[quote name='super_dawn']The ones I came across were behind the counter. But if you saw some in a different spot I would price check them...doesn't hurt and you might score pretty big.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll check again tomorrow. It appears they keep a lot of stuff behind the counter, which seems counterproductive to a "clearance" sale.

[quote name='Readthepost']You are using the loops incorrectly. If you do it your way...it's hard to balance the frame.

Buy some cheap metal wire and run it thru the loops and it's easy to balance the frame.[/QUOTE]

You actually have it backwards. Using wire is the fast/easy way to get a piece of art up on the wall quickly. Measuring and using hanging loops is the best way to get a level picture that will stay secure and level. I have worked at several museums and the majority prefer this method because it is more secure on the wall.

[quote name='Dark Rider']You know you posted this in the bragging rights forum?[/quote]
Dark Rider, I know where I posted the trade thread.

I posted the trade thread there because you need to have mod level permissions to post a master trade thread in the master trade thread forum.

[quote name='imacgod']I had to look up the stores around Salisbury. Holy crap! There isn't any other stores on that side of the Bay, is there?[/QUOTE]

As was said, in Ocean View DE there's one too. So on the whole Eastern Shore it's Salisbury, MD and Ocean View, DE. There used to be three in Salisbury and two in Ocean City alone.

I may go up to the Ocean View store tomorrow so I'll post what I see...don't bother with Salisbury though unless you either live close or are in the area.

A BB near me had a couple 80gig PS3 slim, PS3 dvd remote, lots of Wii Donkey Kong Returns and 360 Halo Reach but the employees refused to scan them for me. They were located behind the counter and they keep saying those items are not clearance. It's all good, did manage to pick up a couple Bob Marley posters for $2.99 each.

Last edited by a moderator:
tonight i got 1 wii cable for $3 and PS3 HDMI/USB cable pack for $4.

U guys sure that the PS3 HDMI is multi use? Like PC to tv, dvd/blu ray player to tv, etc. The usb cable for camera to pc and other devices?

For $4 i was like why not. Its like $2 for HDMI and $2 for Usb. I dont care about brands but shocked to see a Sony product to hit that low price.

HDMI $2

A sony R20 model tv remote $.79.

Got $2.00 worth of the Kodak AA 4 pack.

Is Sunday the last day for this sell?

Im confused on the best/safe way to hang the frames. I got the nail to nail in the hanging hook. Would that work? Is there anything else to use to hang it without showing the metal hanger thing?

[quote name='postaboy']A BB near me had a couple 80gig PS3 slim, PS3 dvd remote, lots of Wii Donkey Kong Returns and 360 Halo Reach but the employees refused to scan them for me. They were located behind the counter and they keep saying those items are not clearance. It's all good, did manage to pick up a couple Bob Marley posters for $2.99 each.[/QUOTE]

You should have convinced them to scan those PS3s and games. Readthepost was able to pick up a bundled 80gb PS3 for $87.50.

[quote name='The Punisher']tonight i got 1 wii cable for $3 and PS3 HDMI/USB cable pack for $4.

U guys sure that the PS3 HDMI is multi use? Like PC to tv, dvd/blu ray player to tv, etc. The usb cable for camera to pc and other devices?

For $4 i was like why not. Its like $2 for HDMI and $2 for Usb. I dont care about brands but shocked to see a Sony product to hit that low price.[/QUOTE]

HDMI's can be used anywhere no problem.

Was this at Pasadena? I forgot to check the accessories when I was there. Not sure if I want to go back. Any other accessories left behind or any spare PS3 cables or Wii component cables? I might be willing to go back for those. Also, didn't happen to see the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles poster still there did you?

[quote name='dino88']They're $2! Who gives a shit?[/QUOTE]

Well, I bought some last week at $10 each so I just wanted make sure I was fairly taxed.

I stopped by 2 other BBVs tonight and picked up:

1 LBP2 Cesar plush
4 Pokemon plushes
6 1gb Kingston USB drives
2 2gb Transcend USB drives
2 Turbo Snakes
2 Windshield Wonders
1 Wii Component Cable
1 small Yoda plush
1 small Darth Vader plush
1 mini Pacman plush with plastic hook

[quote name='postaboy']A BB near me had a couple 80gig PS3 slim, PS3 dvd remote, lots of Wii Donkey Kong Returns and 360 Halo Reach but the employees refused to scan them for me. They were located behind the counter and they keep saying those items are not clearance. It's all good, did manage to pick up a couple Bob Marley posters for $2.99 each.[/QUOTE]
They never made an 80gb PS3 slim, so it was most likely a fat model you saw and those ARE on clearance.
[quote name='TheHelix']Got a 360 512MB Memory card + worms for 3 bucks today.[/QUOTE]
You better send Blockbuster corporate your medical bills for getting worms at one of their stores.:razz:

[quote name='imacgod']HDMI's can be used anywhere no problem.

Was this at Pasadena? I forgot to check the accessories when I was there. Not sure if I want to go back. Any other accessories left behind or any spare PS3 cables or Wii component cables? I might be willing to go back for those. Also, didn't happen to see the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles poster still there did you?[/QUOTE]

Yes from Pasadena, MD. They couldnt sell the ps3 and lloks like they got it ready for shipping. I did see the Turtle poster in the box. there is many accessories still, but not for xbox 360. there is many ps3 remotes, bluetooth, wii wheel, ds pen, charger stand and a xbox 360 remote for $19.99 regular price.

What is everyone doing with the cds like gaga and charlie brown?

[quote name='CAG90210']How do you guys buy the Wii/Xbox Live cards? Do you just get the cards and bring it up to the register and it'll ring up discounted?[/QUOTE]

Look. the regular cards are not clearance. the cards everyone been talking is in a blister plastic box which is on clearance. I never saw it in my area,but others got lucky.

[quote name='kk012']Well, I bought some last week at $10 each so I just wanted make sure I was fairly taxed.

I stopped by 2 other BBVs tonight and picked up:

1 LBP2 Cesar plush
4 Pokemon plushes
6 1gb Kingston USB drives
2 2gb Transcend USB drives
2 Turbo Snakes
2 Windshield Wonders
1 Wii Component Cable
1 small Yoda plush
1 small Darth Vader plush
1 mini Pacman plush with plastic hook[/QUOTE]

u should have been taxed fairly. it depends on total x state %.

Can u post what the pacman looks like?

Its crazy how others report still finding the LBP. Guess LBP building a army to fight back

[quote name='The Punisher']What is everyone doing with the cds like gaga and charlie brown?[/QUOTE]
I'm gonna check the Lady Gaga ones by UPC n see if the ones with the white wig are the LE or not. If they are I may send one in to a website offering $22 for it and keep the other one to sell/trade. It'll cover all of my CD purchases from this clearance so far if it is the LE.;)
[quote name='The Punisher']Its crazy how others report still finding the LBP. Guess LBP building a army to fight back[/QUOTE]
I think it's just that in some stores these were still on a far shelf in the back or just not marked clearance at all.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm gonna check the Lady Gaga ones by UPC n see if the ones with the white wig are the LE or not. If they are I may send one in to a website offering $22 for it and keep the other one to sell/trade. It'll cover all of my CD purchases from this clearance so far if it is the LE.;)

I think it's just that in some stores these were still on a far shelf in the back or just not marked clearance at all.[/QUOTE]

http://www.amazon.com/Fame-Monster-...UFWE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1308112167&sr=8-4

check out the forth pic. I like it

What LE are u talking about? is it the brown one?

[quote name='erdmanski1341']What are you guys talking about using metal wire for? Those loops are the hangers. You put two nails into the wall and hang.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Readthepost']You are using the loops incorrectly. If you do it your way...it's hard to balance the frame.

Buy some cheap metal wire and run it thru the loops and it's easy to balance the frame.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='erdmanski1341']You actually have it backwards. Using wire is the fast/easy way to get a piece of art up on the wall quickly. Measuring and using hanging loops is the best way to get a level picture that will stay secure and level. I have worked at several museums and the majority prefer this method because it is more secure on the wall.[/QUOTE]
I don't want to argue, but my statement is correct.
Wire= easy and max 4 mins.
Measuring = harder and much longer.
What happens if you are off be a 1-4mm on one side? (due to slight error)...the frame will be titled and you can't remove the nail and adjust it because you can't nail it 1-4mm from the original hole....the nail will be pull into the original hole.

Also, you can see the nails at a slight angle.

I guess it's all personal choice.

[quote name='Readthepost']I don't want to argue, but my statement is correct.
Wire= easy and max 4 mins.
Measuring = harder and much longer.
What happens if you are off be a 1-4mm on one side? (due to slight error)...the frame will be titled and you can't remove the nail and adjust it because you can't nail it 1-4mm from the original hole....the nail will be pull into the original hole.

Also, you can see the nails at a slight angle.

I guess it's all personal choice.[/QUOTE]

Im a newb. Where do I get this wire? What is the name so I can ask at walmart.
Thanks.

[quote name='erdmanski1341']You actually have it backwards. Using wire is the fast/easy way to get a piece of art up on the wall quickly. Measuring and using hanging loops is the best way to get a level picture that will stay secure and level. I have worked at several museums and the majority prefer this method because it is more secure on the wall.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, if you do the wire method right, being secure on a wall is the least of your problems. It'll stay in place. It's all a matter of opinion. I personally like the way it looks on a wire. And it's much easier to keep it centered than measuring out the positions of nails.

And I may check a BBV tomorrow depending if I have time or not. I'm hoping I'll be able to find some Xbox Live point cards. I didn't realize there were things on sale behind the register last time I went maybe I'll get lucky. Also hoping to see some new games.

Are the new games that are on sale generally behind the counter? All I saw were a couple used games on sale and the rental section.

[quote name='The Punisher']
Can u post what the pacman looks like?

Its crazy how others report still finding the LBP. Guess LBP building a army to fight back[/QUOTE]

Here is the mini Pacman plush keychain ($0.19) next to the Shellos Pokemon plush:

photo-35.jpg

IATCG is successfully building a big LBP army. I still haven't found a Zombie and Nariko plush. Those would be cool to have in my collection.

[quote name='The Punisher']Im a newb. Where do I get this wire? What is the name so I can ask at walmart.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I'm not 100% sure.....hanging wire or framing wire....it's available at every hardware store like ace. There are 2 kinds.....1 is a thin wire (light)...1 is a braided wire (heavy).

[quote name='kk012']Here is the mini Pacman plush keychain ($0.19) next to the Stellos Pokemon plush:

photo-35.jpg

IATCG is successfully building a big LBP army. I still haven't found a Zombie and Nariko plush. Those would be cool to have in my collection.[/QUOTE]

Love the pacman.
Stellos? Havent kept upwith Pokemon in a longggg time. Looks cute.
I got a big Yoda for $2. Im a star wars nerd

[quote name='The Punisher']Love the pacman.
Stellos? Havent kept upwith Pokemon in a longggg time. Looks cute.
I got a big Yoda for $2. Im a star wars nerd[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I typed the name for that Pokemon wrong. It is named SHELLOS. There are 2 versions of that Pokemon (1 is light blue, the other is pink).

I did see some Peeps Bunny plush (easter yellow, pink and blue) for $0.19 each, which are about the size of the Pokemon plush.

[quote name='Tsel']Did you guys take multiple trips to get such big hauls? I didn't get much, yet my hands were extremely full.[/QUOTE]

I've only been to 5 BBVs since Monday. Yeah, I was having some trouble carrying all the stuff I wanted to buy up to the counter :D Why don't they have those plastic shopping baskets at BBV?

I'm wondering why you guys are hoarding all these little Pokemon plushes. The one by my house had a lot of those left over but I didn't think twice about getting them. Should I have?

[quote name='kk012']
I've only been to 5 BBVs since Monday. Yeah, I was having some trouble carrying all the stuff I wanted to buy up to the counter :D Why don't they have those plastic shopping baskets at BBV?[/QUOTE]

6 BBV's for me. And definitely had trouble carrying stuff and wished for a basket as well! lol But in my many years working at hollywood video I don't think I ever had anyone complain that we needed baskets. ;) Who ever rents or buys that much stuff usually?

I think the funniest thing was when I was at one closing store and the second to last day a guy came in to buy over 500 movies... I let him use our old metal rolling dump bin that is usually stationed in our dropbox to put them all in. It was funny watching him roll it around the store putting movies into it.

I saw a ton of the Pokemon plushes marked $7.99 and I asked for them to be scanned but they insisted $7.99 was the price :(

[quote name='Tsel']Did you guys take multiple trips to get such big hauls? I didn't get much, yet my hands were extremely full.[/QUOTE]
I hit up four stores on Monday morning(and three yesterday afternoon;)) to get what I did. But my hands were full with the LBP2 plushes at the first store I hit up Monday, as that was the one with TEN of them.:)

But what I've done now is grab the plushes with the boxes arranged back to back, so I can grab four at a clip now with no trouble.:cool:

I'm tempted to go back to the closest store tomorrow and grab some of those Silly Bands at $.05 a pack for my buddies' nieces when they come in for the summer.
[quote name='Friend of Sonic']The Tivo HD was 24.99 at my store-- is that the right price?[/QUOTE]
Yeah. It only went 75% off. It was one of only a few items that didn't drop to 90% off.

The YooStar sets were another thing that didn't go 90% off.

There's a PS3 system at one of my local BBVs marked at $400 and includes 12 weeks of rental service, HDMI cable + maybe something else. By my standards that's a bundle. I've gone by a few times and asked different cashiers about it, and they keep saying "it's not on clearance." But I can't get anyone to scan it for me, and I guess I just can't get over the possibility that they might be wrong. Anyone have any idea what system I'm seeing, and whether I should keep driving over there to get someone to scan it?

dropped about $30 on all kinds of random items. and was told on my way out that they were processing more clearance items later that night that would be out for sale either tomorrow or the next day... just wondering if those will start already at 90% off, or if they'd start from the beginning and a new clearance cycle

also, the hundreds upon hundreds of .99 cent dvds that were there a few days ago were all mysteriously gone. guess they must've sent them out to a different store or something

[quote name='wafflepacman']Are you sure it's $400? The same bundle is marked at $299 at my Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's definitely marked $399. . . Do you know if yours is ringing up clearanced or full price?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']They never made an 80gb PS3 slim, so it was most likely a fat model you saw and those ARE on clearance.

You better send Blockbuster corporate your medical bills for getting worms at one of their stores.:razz:[/QUOTE]

Oh really! I'm going to drop by tomorrow and ask them kindly if they could please scan them for me, but I have a gut feeling the employees are hoarding all the good stuffs to themselves. Maybe I should pretend like I'm buying it at full price. Thanks man.

[quote name='postaboy']Oh really! I'm going to drop by tomorrow and ask them kindly if they could please scan them for me, but I have a gut feeling the employees are hoarding all the good stuffs to themselves. Maybe I should pretend like I'm buying it at full price. Thanks man.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't doubt it. At one of the BBVs I hit up there was a woman behind the register talking to her co-worker about how she was putting aside some stuff for her mom to come get and she was wishing her mom would hurry up before the customers got wind of it and bought the items.

For those of you guys saying the cashiers "refuse to scan" the item... how exactly can the employee refuse a price check for a customer? That's customer service 101 right there.. I would call them out on their BS and tell them to scan the damn item or to give you a manager to speak to.

And if they still give you trouble, tell them you're buying the item and once it rings up and it's not the price you want, tell them you changed your mind lol.

[quote name='IronZombie']I'm wondering why you guys are hoarding all these little Pokemon plushes. The one by my house had a lot of those left over but I didn't think twice about getting them. Should I have?[/QUOTE]

I was looking for those for my little brother. I would assume most everyone else is for gifts or kids as well.

[quote name='Dark Rider']The controllers are not on sale at my store.

Also, the point cards are kept behind the counter. I would definitely ask.[/QUOTE]

YMMV of course.

[quote name='Midnight Express']Thanks, I'll check again tomorrow. It appears they keep a lot of stuff behind the counter, which seems counterproductive to a "clearance" sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, even without the clearance it makes no sense that at my local store they have a PS3 blu-ray remote and DS3 controller under the counter. It would hardly ever sell for any price if customers don't even know they have them #-o.

But I'm glad they kept the 3 month Xbox Live and Wii Points cards there. I mean, seriously, I haven't seen those for sale for well over a year at my local store so they've been there at least that long and probably would have sold earlier if they had been displayed. They must have been on their clearance price list that they were going through and retagging everything by. But then again maybe not because he didn't even realize they were on clearance (and this was the store manager).

I did hit up another store late Tuesday evening and they assured me they had no blister-pack points cards. They did have 4 white play-n-charge kits for the 360 (battery and cord). They were $19.99 and NOT on clearance, unfortunately. I would have loved to get some more batteries as the ones I have are starting to lose their effectiveness. I don't care one bit about colors not matching either ;). Why these are not on clearance while Xbox 360 controllers, Wii component cables, and many of these other things are, is a mystery to me. These are pretty old kits and the batteries probably aren't at peak efficiency anyway - they really do need to get rid of them.

I wished my local store had all these great stuff in stock that everyone is talking about. Anyways I grabbed all I could hitting more stores up today.

- x3 Pokemon Plushes .79
- x2 Viva Pinata 360 Faceplate $1
- x1 Small Yoda .99
- x1 Small Darth Vader .99
- x1 Spider-man Keychain .29
- x3 Tron Keychains (3 different ones) .59
- x2 Yellow Rubber Band Watch thingys .39
- X1 Vacuum Thingy $3.99

bread's done
Back