The official "OMG Wii IS HERE!!!!" HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY THREAD!

While I love the Wii, what is up with the Gamecube 'flap'. That looks REALLY bad. Couldn't they have though of a better idea to incorporate the Cube Controller/Memory slots instead of having a giant flap sticking up?

Oh well, time to go buy a gig SD card...gotta prepare...

7 more days...
COME ON....COME ON....

I stopped at Wal-Mart and they said they'll have them in the layaway section at 12:01am and that they'll have atleast 20. I'm guessing I'll go over around 8pm and wait. I don't live around a big city.

[quote name='gizmogc']While I love the Wii, what is up with the Gamecube 'flap'. That looks REALLY bad. Couldn't they have though of a better idea to incorporate the Cube Controller/Memory slots instead of having a giant flap sticking up?

Oh well, time to go buy a gig SD card...gotta prepare...

7 more days...
COME ON....COME ON....[/quote]One of the guys at EB last night said they had dismantled the thing and taken a look at it. Apparently there are notes on the flap that indicate how you can remove it. So while I don't mind the flap, since it's more attractive than a bunch of controller/mem card slots on the top, if you don't like having the flap sticking out when you're using it, it should be removable.

I've got a test on Monday, so my plan is to study for it Friday/Saturday so I can gourge myself on Wii on Sunday.

Something tells me I'm going to be too excited Friday and Saturday to study. This is a horrible plan.

Well, I just called my local WalMart. They said they'll be handing out tickets at 11:00pm on the 18th to sell them at 12:01. Trying to figure out when to get there. The poor guy working in electronics on a Saturday evening thought maybe 8:00. Any CAGers have any thoughts? We're not exactly a booming metropolis around here, but it's not exactly rural either. A town of about 20,000 people with some bigger towns around as well.

[quote name='daroga']Well, I just called my local WalMart. They said they'll be handing out tickets at 11:00pm on the 18th to sell them at 12:01. Trying to figure out when to get there. The poor guy working in electronics on a Saturday evening thought maybe 8:00. Any CAGers have any thoughts? We're not exactly a booming metropolis around here, but it's not exactly rural either. A town of about 20,000 people with some bigger towns around as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking 9pm should be plenty of time for you. That's when I'm heading out.

If my Wal-Mart is doing a 12am launch I would get there about 6-7PM. I'll check with mine...if so, I'd rather do that then Target.

[quote name='daroga']Well, I just called my local WalMart. They said they'll be handing out tickets at 11:00pm on the 18th to sell them at 12:01. Trying to figure out when to get there. The poor guy working in electronics on a Saturday evening thought maybe 8:00. Any CAGers have any thoughts? We're not exactly a booming metropolis around here, but it's not exactly rural either. A town of about 20,000 people with some bigger towns around as well.[/quote]
Who did you talk to when you called? Did you ask for a manager? So help me, I might attempt to pick one up at midnight.

[quote name='evilmax17']Who did you talk to when you called? Did you ask for a manager? So help me, I might attempt to pick one up at midnight.[/quote]
Yeah, I think he was the night manager but sounded pretty knowledgable and not like he was just making crap up. The inital girl I talked to in the department didn't know so passed me off to someone more knowledgable. This was all over the phone, so I'm not exactly sure who I was talking to in all of this.

I might just show up at 6 and ask what's going on. If anyone is there already, I'll stay, if not, I'll come back around 8.

Seems like waiting at Walmart for the Wii is a perfect time to try to get good at Ouendan ;)

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']The Wii has internal memory too right?

Also, any suggestions for rechargeable batteries?[/quote]Yes, 512MB, more than enough to start on your VC games and saved games.

For rechargeables, I've had good luck with the Energizer rechargeables. Also, CAGs have recommended this site: http://www.batteryspace.com/

I'm going to try Wal-Mart that night too. It's just that MY Wal-Mart told me that the line would start at 7am at Layaway..LOL...(YES, AM)

But we'll see. I may go in around 6, 7pm and see what's up. If there's a HUUUUUGE line (as in like 30+ people) then my ass is leaving and I'll be heading to Target the next morning.

My plan is to be playing Wii into Sunday morning.. not sitting in a parking lot waiting to get one, LOL

ALSO!! To ALL CAGS getting a Wii next Sunday Morning who ALSO own a 360..Don't forget to swing by Burger King for a breakfast value meal so you can get those BK games!!!

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']The Wii has internal memory too right?

Also, any suggestions for rechargeable batteries?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='daroga']Yes, 512MB, more than enough to start on your VC games and saved games.

For rechargeables, I've had good luck with the Energizer rechargeables. Also, CAGs have recommended this site: http://www.batteryspace.com/[/QUOTE]

Here's my reply from the other topic about batteries.

But daroga speaks the truth - batteryspace.com rocks the casbah.

1 week guys.
DAMN!!!!!!

Let's talk about positives.

Right now on the East Coast it's just about 9am. This would mean a few things in EXACTLY 1 wiik:

-Those who got a Wii at Wal-Walmart would be playing it for at least a good 7-8 hours by now ;)
-Targets open at 8am, therefore we (east coasters) should be home by now with our Wii (and burger king breakfast with a copy of Sneak King!!)
-Central time people, your Target is just about to open!
-Everyone else, be patient..Target will be open soon!!

I dunno what other stores open this early..but yeah :)
Regardless of a few hours here and there... it's pretty much 1 week away. Less then for those who get it at midnite.

I'm actually looking foward to work this week. This way it can go by ASAP and therefore...I have a Wii ^_^

I wanted to get in on the Toys R Us pre-order today but could not find a ride (no car for me). I figure it's way too late to get in on it now...so I'm back to square one, waiting. I want to buy at Toys R Us but at this point, I'm like F it, I'll just wait at Wal-Mart and get one at midnight... This whole thing is becoming more of a hassle than it should be, for me. :(

I hate them for releasing it on a Sunday.
Because we have to get through the WEEK, then the WEEKEND too!! GRRR.

Damn you PS3, if you weren't around WE could had the Friday release ;(

Friday release would be awesome, yep.

I think I've figured out what I'll do. Gonna likely still go to Toys R Us (as much as I'd rather get a midnight release at Wal-Mart, I just am unconfident in dealing with them based on past problems - plus I have made a commitment to wanting to support Toys R Us, they've always been my retailer of choice). But, what I'll do is get my mom to go to Circuit City when they open to pick up component cables for me. That way, she'll get home before me (CC is closer) and I'll get home with my Wii and the cables will be there.

So I think all will work out great! I'm actually kinda looking forward to camping out.

I am making heavy duty plans. I keep missing preorder dates because they aren't announced ... anywhere. I have $350 sitting on my desk right here, with another $450 coming in three days. Money is not an issue, availability is. I'm getting anxious because it's starting to look like I might not be able to get one.

I work at Walmart, and I work that Saturday from 11AM-8PM, which has me worried that I won't get to a camp quickly enough. Apparently I can get a deal with my manager - if I come at 6AM, wait until 11AM, my store manager can give me a voucher to hold my place in line while I work, as long as I go back to wait at 8PM after work. He did that last year with some guy for the X360. If somehow I cannot manage to finangle a Wii out of Walmart at midnight, I am just going to head to Target or Best Buy, whichever has the smaller crowd, and sit my butt down for 10 hours or so.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']Friday release would be awesome, yep.

I think I've figured out what I'll do. Gonna likely still go to Toys R Us (as much as I'd rather get a midnight release at Wal-Mart, I just am unconfident in dealing with them based on past problems - plus I have made a commitment to wanting to support Toys R Us, they've always been my retailer of choice). But, what I'll do is get my mom to go to Circuit City when they open to pick up component cables for me. That way, she'll get home before me (CC is closer) and I'll get home with my Wii and the cables will be there.

So I think all will work out great! I'm actually kinda looking forward to camping out.[/QUOTE]

So you're camping at TRU or CC? And what time are you going to be there? Just wondering. I really been liking to ask people what time they are leaving.. LOL
Just so I have an idea for myself.

I'm getting kinda nervous. All this talk about "There's PLEAAAANNTY!!!"..makes me nervous that there just may not be pleanty =(

I am going to Walmart at 6AM, Saturday. I work there but during my shift I can get a voucher to hold my place in line, if I talk to the store manager. At midnight, if I don't get one I'm heading directly to Best Buy, at 10AM when they open if I don't get one I'm heading directly to Target. (They are all within about 10,000 feet of each other). If I don't get one then I'm crapping myself and giving up.

[quote name='lilboo']So you're camping at TRU or CC? And what time are you going to be there? Just wondering. I really been liking to ask people what time they are leaving.. LOL
Just so I have an idea for myself.

I'm getting kinda nervous. All this talk about "There's PLEAAAANNTY!!!"..makes me nervous that there just may not be pleanty =([/quote]

I'm camping at Toys R Us, but I'm going to get my mom to drive to Circuit City while I'm at Toys R Us, where she'll get the component cables (since they are apparently not going to be sold at Toys R Us, according to Perrin Kaplan). I figure she'll be able to get one since they likely won't even come close to selling on a 1:1 ratio with the console.

I'm unsure of when I'm heading out to camp at Toys R Us. I'll go as early as I need to. I'm hoping we see a leaked Toys R Us allotment list in the coming days, and I'm hoping I find out whether my store will do a midnight launch or not (I read an article this morning that a Kentucky Toys R Us is opening at midnight so I have hopes for mine). Those things will determine how early I decide to wait.

If they open at midnight and there's like 100 non-pre-ordered units available (the ultimate optimistic extreme), I'd probably try to get there at like 7PM.

If they open at normal hours with like 40 non-pre-ordered units, I'll probably go 12 hours in advance to be safe...or maybe even more if I hear about lots of people doing the same across the nation.

Dang it, all these positive impressions with Excite Truck have me thinking I might pick it up with the system, especially since a freidn si coming over to our house for Thanksgiving (Wed->Sun) and it'd be nice to have another 2 player game to throw down.

Any thoughts?

With all the talk about the second pre-order list at TRU getting bombed like the first one and all subsequent pre-order opportunities, I'm really starting to worry how early I need to camp out next weekend.

Anyone got an estimate? I aint gonna do a multiple day thing. It's kinda down to choosing the hour to wait at Target.

Also, if any Austinites are reading this, what are your plans? Gimme.

[quote name='Strell']With all the talk about the second pre-order list at TRU getting bombed like the first one and all subsequent pre-order opportunities, I'm really starting to worry how early I need to camp out next weekend.

Anyone got an estimate? I aint gonna do a multiple day thing. It's kinda down to choosing the hour to wait at Target.

Also, if any Austinites are reading this, what are your plans? Gimme.[/quote]Come up to Michigan. Play DS with me at walmart for 4 hours. Go home. ;)

[quote name='daroga']Dang it, all these positive impressions with Excite Truck have me thinking I might pick it up with the system, especially since a freidn si coming over to our house for Thanksgiving (Wed->Sun) and it'd be nice to have another 2 player game to throw down.

Any thoughts?[/quote]If you like racers, sure, go get it. If you don't, I wouldn't bother. It's definitely fun, but it's not as if it's the ultimate example of the Wii's possibilities.

Like all racing games, I'll get it when it's sub-$20.

[quote name='daroga']Come up to Michigan. Play DS with me at walmart for 4 hours. Go home. ;)[/QUOTE]

If I could manage to get up there, I'd have to go punch Brak in his marbles. Just 'cuz.

I have a bookmark that shows the exact time until the Wii comes out on my round of site-reading.

My prelaunch plans are to find out how many pallets each Costco that is close to me will have and judge if that'll be enough to not wait out for hours. If that is sufficient, I will cancel my preorder at EB.

My local Fred Meyer is going to open at midnight with 150 Wiis available. I only live five minutes away, so I am going to drive there periodically throughout the day to check on a line. With that many available, I don't think there will be much of a problem. I'll probably end up getting in line around 6pm (that's what time the line started to form for the 360 according to an employee.)

I missed the preorders AGAIN at Toys R Us >_>;

I was going to go at like 3am and hang out, be first in line, but I decided to sleep instead >

[quote name='botticus']If you like racers, sure, go get it. If you don't, I wouldn't bother. It's definitely fun, but it's not as if it's the ultimate example of the Wii's possibilities.

Like all racing games, I'll get it when it's sub-$20.[/quote]I do enjoy racing games. The Burnouts were some of my favorite games last gen, and Excite Truck seems to borrow (steal? ;) ) a lot from those.

My thought is get it for that week, play it out, and then sell it and see if I can "rent" it for about $10 or so. After my buddy goes home and single player rules, nothing but Zelda is happening.

My plans are set in stone already.

Head down to my local EB where I have my Wii pre ordered at some point in the evening of Saturday 18th of November.

Waltz into the store, and start the line for Wii.

Play Excite Truck until I get kicked off on the instore kiosk

Read all the strategy guides the store has

Wake up outside on the ground wondering what happened.

Collect Wii at 12.01 am

Have wife park across multiple handicapped spots so I can dive from the door of the store into th car with minimal exposire to outside and thieves.

Giggle like a lunatic all the way home.

Read manuals and work myself into a frenzy while watching Bleach.

That sounds like a good plan. Theive protection is a must. I didnt pre-order because I was unsure if I wanted to drop about 350 before the holidays, but now my heart-rate increases 5% everyday before launch. To bad I dont have a car to get to a target/bestbuy on Saturday night, just an EB games in walking distance who's pre-order has been full since the day they started it. So I'm kinda out of luck right now and I'm starting to feel closterphobic.

I hope this works but Im thinking I will go to Wal-Mart and check on when a line starts getting formed then Ill hop in that line. If I cant get one then Ill go to Target at like 3am after leaving Wal-Mart and eating. and get one when they open at 8. The stores are right across the street from each other, so I think I should be able to get one no problem, but you never know. Ill keep my fingers crossed.

Before I plan anything thing I need to find out if my local Gamestop will be open at midnight. If they are have a midnight launch then I plan to hit the White Castle across the street at about 8PM and get something to eat and then go to the store and wait. My friend might tag along so I'll end up playing some Mario Kart DS or some other game with him while we wait in line. And if he doesn't tag along I'll just play some Final Fantasy II or play around with some of the demos they have at the DS download station.

Are EBs going to close at 9 and then reopen 3 hours later if there is a midnight launch? Or are they just going to keep the doors open? Kinda silly, since I doubt employees would be going home for that three hours (especially since they'd have to do the usual closing stuff) unless different employees are running the midnight launch.

I doubt they will completely close the store down. But I do think that they will ask everyone to leave the store while they prep for the midnight launch.

I'm going to go to WalMart at 9pm, see how big the line is. If it's short, I'll stay. If not, I'll just pick up my TRU preorder the next day. ;)

If the local target is actually getting 120 Wiis, what are the chances I'll need to camp at all?

Or rather would you camp if the locater said your target would get 120?

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']If the local target is actually getting 120 Wiis, what are the chances I'll need to camp at all?

Or rather would you camp if the locater said your target would get 120?[/QUOTE]

mine's getting 111. I'm going to try to get there by 6 or 7 AM just to be safe. they open at 8am, I believe. There might be a line, maybe some campers, but not 111 people.

[quote name='Apossum']mine's getting 111. I'm going to try to get there by 6 or 7 AM just to be safe. they open at 8am, I believe. There might be a line, maybe some campers, but not 111 people.[/quote] You live in a heavily populated region?

Did you get your numbers from an online locater. They seem pretty accurate if you do the math. That is assuming the U.S is getting most of NAs Wii launch units.

[quote name='botticus']Are EBs going to close at 9 and then reopen 3 hours later if there is a midnight launch? Or are they just going to keep the doors open? Kinda silly, since I doubt employees would be going home for that three hours (especially since they'd have to do the usual closing stuff) unless different employees are running the midnight launch.[/quote]

This is what I was told. They would close the store at 9, and reopen at 12. Hope to god I dont get mugged or something.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I doubt they will completely close the store down. But I do think that they will ask everyone to leave the store while they prep for the midnight launch.[/quote]

Thats a pretty standard practice for those things. To bad my EB games doesn't do Midnight system launches, beacuse it is in the ghetto, and they are scared people will get robbed. I need a launch day plan, can some one throw up a link to find how many units differnt stores are getting?

[quote name='botticus']Are EBs going to close at 9 and then reopen 3 hours later if there is a midnight launch? Or are they just going to keep the doors open? Kinda silly, since I doubt employees would be going home for that three hours (especially since they'd have to do the usual closing stuff) unless different employees are running the midnight launch.[/quote]
I can't say for sure that mine is totally closing down, but the manager did say that people couldn't get in unless they had ID as being the person who preordered it. Sounds kinda strict, but they I guess they just don't want a mob there all night.

bread's done
Back