The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

agreed. you are getting a hell of a deal for each episode to watch on an SDTV. Don't even try to bother watching it on an HDTV...not a good idea...

Trekcore.com just posted a german trailer of the season 1 blu ray release. Looks like they redid the phasers and photon effects plus made a new explosion effect for ship explosions.

It's really too bad that we are not going to get the complete series this year.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Trekcore.com just posted a german trailer of the season 1 blu ray release. Looks like they redid the phasers and photon effects plus made a new explosion effect for ship explosions.

It's really too bad that we are not going to get the complete series this year.[/QUOTE]We didn't get all three seasons of TOS in the same year, so for TNG, I think I'm OK in waiting it out until we get a complete series set.

TOS did do a Complete Series set and it was cheaper than buying the season sets individually, except when you find them on random sales between Best Buy and Amazon and luck out with them cheaper.

I think $30 - $40 would be my buy point for TNG season sets individually, though that's probably a pipe dream and they'll release at $50 - $60 each like TOS did.

Just watched the Season 3 episode with the Enterprise C and Tasha coming back. So great. I almost wish we could see more of this alt-universe.

[quote name='Javery']Just watched the Season 3 episode with the Enterprise C and Tasha coming back. So great. I almost wish we could see more of this alt-universe.[/QUOTE]

You know its really easy to criticize Star Trek in general for overusing the alternate universe and time travel plot devices buuuuuut on the other hand they really have led to some of the best episodes in all of the various series.

yeah, I love that stuff. My one criticism of the show (all of them really except DS9 and I guess Enterprise although to a lesser extent) is that nothing ever seems to affect anything going forward. I love time travel episodes and alt-universe episodes but I hate how everything always goes back to the status quo when the episode ends like nothing ever happened.

[quote name='Javery']yeah, I love that stuff. My one criticism of the show (all of them really except DS9 and I guess Enterprise although to a lesser extent) is that nothing ever seems to affect anything going forward. I love time travel episodes and alt-universe episodes but I hate how everything always goes back to the status quo when the episode ends like nothing ever happened.[/QUOTE]

I think this was a symptom of the time period the series took place in. Serial storylines in TV only really became mainstream in the past decade. I would imagine if TNG was made today it would be much more serial.

[quote name='lordwow']I think this was a symptom of the time period the series took place in. Serial storylines in TV only really became mainstream in the past decade. I would imagine if TNG was made today it would be much more serial.[/QUOTE]
They wanted to make it a serial, they pitched it as having a Hill Street Blues type of format. But they were told to preserve the stand alone format for syndication since they often wouldn't air in order.

Can we all agree that we are ready for another series? How awesome would it be if ST got picked up by HBO or FX or Sci-Fi or something with a little more "edge" to it? I don't need swearing and tits all over the place but something more "sophisticated" like BSG would be very very welcome. It has been too long...

I think I've mentioned in here before had Voyager been more like Year of Hell the entire run, it would definitely had been far more successful and respected IMO.

I would love to see a more serialized version of Trek. And I think any Trek fan would be interested in seeing another iteration of the Enterpirse down the line similar to how they jumped forward with TNG.

[quote name='Javery']Can we all agree that we are ready for another series? How awesome would it be if ST got picked up by HBO or FX or Sci-Fi or something with a little more "edge" to it? I don't need swearing and tits all over the place but something more "sophisticated" like BSG would be very very welcome. It has been too long...[/QUOTE]

As interesting as it might be, a misguided effort in that direction (Enterprise) is what put it down. It's going to be a long time before we see ST that doesn't resemble the JJ Abrams version. His way is profitable.

I can't imagine a hands-off, artist-first outfit like HBO or FX wanting to go anywhere near ST, just because of Paramount. I don't know how Hollywood works, but I can imagine there would be a lot of headbutting involved that would prevent that kind of arrangement.

[quote name='dothog']As interesting as it might be, a misguided effort in that direction (Enterprise) is what put it down. It's going to be a long time before we see ST that doesn't resemble the JJ Abrams version. His way is profitable.

I can't imagine a hands-off, artist-first outfit like HBO or FX wanting to go anywhere near ST, just because of Paramount. I don't know how Hollywood works, but I can imagine there would be a lot of headbutting involved that would prevent that kind of arrangement.[/QUOTE]Star Trek isn't a cheap show, and HBO has its hands full with a lot of series going on at the moment, plus a couple that aren't cheap to produce (True Blood, Game Of Thrones). Adding a Star Trek series to the mix, plus with Paramount's tight reign of control over the franchise, would make it hard to deal with on more than one level.

FX wouldn't have the money for it, nor would the other cable networks like Showtime, A&E, FX and the like.

[quote name='dohdough']If it was on Showtime or HBO, we'd see alien sex every week...you know it's true...[/QUOTE]No question there.

[quote name='Clak']It's funny, DS9 really picked up once they started focusing more on the serialized Dominion wars.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The run starting when Worf arrived is the best stretch of ST out of all of the series or movies.

[quote name='shrike4242']We didn't get all three seasons of TOS in the same year, so for TNG, I think I'm OK in waiting it out until we get a complete series set.

TOS did do a Complete Series set and it was cheaper than buying the season sets individually, except when you find them on random sales between Best Buy and Amazon and luck out with them cheaper.

I think $30 - $40 would be my buy point for TNG season sets individually, though that's probably a pipe dream and they'll release at $50 - $60 each like TOS did.[/QUOTE]

That's true.. However from the interviews it looks like they are using the original ship plates and adjusting them for the HD release...so no more box mattes outlines that you saw during the first season. With that in mind, with less CG to create and focus towards sound and picture quality, it shouldn't take too long I hope. $50 dollars for a season sounds reasonable, but no way I am going to pay over 100 again for the seasons...that was my big expensive mistake for TNG, DS9, and ENT. I really wish Paramount would work on DS9 over the summer to give us something early next year.

16.99 At best buy. Just started watching the pilot. There is noticeable film grain...but really nothing can be done about that. Ship shots really look movie like. The intro has been slightly enhanced but still the same. So far so good...

[quote name='dohdough']If it was on Showtime or HBO, we'd see alien sex every week...you know it's true...[/QUOTE]

you say that like it's a bad thing

Imagine if the original series had been on a pay cable channel, Kirk would have been nailing women left and right.

Just finished Voyager. I gotta say I started to like some of the crew by the end of the show. But most of the writing was pretty weak. Its a damn shame it wasn't better, it really could have been awesome.

Between the two I now feel Enterprise was a better show.

Finished TNG, DS9, ENT, VOY and just need to watch all of TOS then I can move on to the movies.

[quote name='KingDox']Just finished Voyager. I gotta say I started to like some of the crew by the end of the show. But most of the writing was pretty weak. Its a damn shame it wasn't better, it really could have been awesome.

Between the two I now feel Enterprise was a better show.

Finished TNG, DS9, ENT, VOY and just need to watch all of TOS then I can move on to the movies.[/QUOTE]

be sure to watch my episode...I am Landru

just saw an episode in the big bang theory with guest appearance by wil wheaton (wesley crusher) pretty cool

So I've picked my way through quite a bit of DS9. It's the first time I've seen them since broadcast way back when -- for some, it's the first time altogether. I've enjoyed myself, I've really only avoided episodes I remembered vividly and knew to be dogs.

I really like the characters. The producers did a good job of providing interesting pairs. I think that's where the writing came through, they gave each major character a fair shake. The only one I feel wasn't done so well was Jadzia, but to be honest that may have more to do with the performance than the writing. However, Jadzia was given some dogshit material for her feature episodes (the S3 episode where she's going between dimensions for a romance).

The part that keeps DS9 from working for me from beginning to end is the Dominion War. I don't think less of them for the effort or the desire to have a big, heavy conflict that binds the episodes together. And I know a lot of ST fans love that about DS9. It just didn't resonate with me.

While I recognized the conflict, it still felt too clinical and orderly in that ST way of things, especially when held against my lesser expectations per episode (introduce a clever sci-fi conflict/issue, let characters work it out in either drama/comedy, keep a fun b-story going in the meantime). Season 6 and 7 just drag for me for these reasons, so much of everything goes back to the Dominion threat. The tone can be so uneven in the struggle to constantly remind us that this is Important because it's mentioned from episode to episode.

In the end, I wish DS9 had been more willing to do one-off episodes with these characters I really enjoyed. I know that a lot of ST fans and producers deplored that attitude as pandering to "fluff," they didn't like that expectation that ST be confined to 40 mins here and 40 mins there. They wanted a season of continuity. However, my original engagement with ST came through TNG and DS9, and they were syndicated and often broadcast late at night. And I'd be up who knows when, watching ST of some flavor, and for some reason I preferred that it was more a snack than a single course of an elaborate meal. That's the kind of ST I like. A two-parter is as deep as I want it to get, and if at all possible, keep the holodeck out of it unless it's really clever.

So that's it. I've posted a ton here in hopes others might talk a little about DS9. Like I said, I really enjoy the characters at the core of the show, and in some ways I think that core is more deserving of feature films or new material than the TNG crew were. They have lots of fun pairs that play well off each other and make it so easy to explore multiple sides of an issue effortlessly. So many good performances, and such good writing for those characters.

i liked both TNG and DS9 and often go back and forth between which is my favorite. honestly though, I think having an over arching storyline was a good thing for DS9. I didn't care much for the first couple of seasons, but the show really gets better as they get closer to the dominion war. I sometimes wonder what they could have done in TNG if they'd done the same.

For me, with DS9 there are parts of seasons 2, 3, 6, and 7 that I like. Seasons 4 and 5 are my favorites, I feel like the interplay between the regulars is established by then.

And I'm not claiming DS9 is better than TNG or vice versa. It's a tough call that way, because so much is context dependent. I do think that DS9 had a better cast of regulars for exploring interesting, fun, one-off scifi episodes. (I think the Tribble episode is evidence of that, I don't think the TNG crew could've pulled that off nearly as well.) That's as far as I'd go to make a comparison between the two.

It's easy to say after the fact, but for me now that BSG is available, it does everything they wanted to do in the final seasons of DS9 so much better than DS9 did the Dominion War. The Cylon-Human conflict is more tangible and compelling. The writers and producers are shared so much by the two that it's hard not to compare them.

I was watching Star Trek Generations recently and realized something I'd never thought of before. If Picard and Kirk were in the nexus when they decided to go back and stop Soran, wouldn't that just be a fake experience of them stopping him?

[quote name='Clak']I was watching Star Trek Generations recently and realized something I'd never thought of before. If Picard and Kirk were in the nexus when they decided to go back and stop Soran, wouldn't that just be a fake experience of them stopping him?[/QUOTE]

Clak...just STOP. If you think too hard about Generations your head will explode.

But....that means every movie after Generations didn't really happen, and Picard is still trapped in the nexus.

On second thought, maybe that's for the best....

[quote name='Clak']But....that means every movie after Generations didn't really happen, and Picard is still trapped in the nexus.

On second thought, maybe that's for the best....[/QUOTE]

Well we are now forced to follow the Star Trek (2009) timeline now.... This time Kirk WILL NOT go down to deflector controls and send a red shirt instead :p

If anything I thought there were too many one off filler episodes in seasons 6 and 7 of DS9 (I'm on the last few episodes of the series after starting at episode 1 some months ago). The war seemed to go away a little too easily for a few episodes at a time, then you'd get near the end of the season and oh yeah, we're in a war that threatens the existence of all the major powers in Star Trek.

Babylon 5's war stretch was a constant struggle with some interesting B stories along the way, you never forgot about the big picture. Their war was integral to their story where its a little more of a plot device for DS9, though I thought it still worked very well. I really enjoyed DS9.

By the way, in this run through DS9 I realized how much I hated Jake Sisko after he grew up. He was constantly injecting himself into situations and putting information out there "for the story". And he tried to make Nog use his entire life savings to buy him a baseball card that he could gift to his dad, to cheer him up. And acted like Nog was the jerk for being reluctant to do that. What a prick.

I didn't mean for it to be this long. Sorry ;)

[quote name='dothog'] in some ways I think that core is more deserving of feature films or new material than the TNG crew were. They have lots of fun pairs that play well off each other and make it so easy to explore multiple sides of an issue effortlessly. So many good performances, and such good writing for those characters.[/QUOTE]

I think that DS9 would be perfect for TV movies or miniseries, but a big budget Hollywood thing? Not a good fit. It would encourage the kind of stories that don't play to DS9's strengths.

I'm actually going to disagree with you a little in order to agree with you more strongly. I wish DS9 had gone wholly into the war and cut out the "Let's visit Ezri's family!" or "Let's play baseball!" sidetracks. I think the way it was done didn't work well because the war often felt like it was on pause. There were weekly reminders "There's a war on!", but mostly it seemed like business as usual with bottle shows that had no influence on or from the war.

This had the strange effect of making the war seem everlasting and tiresome, and yet rarely threatening. Babylon 5 and BSG used their wars to create climates of doom, shock, or peril. DS9's war seemed to morph into whatever they needed it to be for plot purposes. There's no way you can do that and still feel tension. If you have to tell us each week there's a war on, you've already failed; we should see it and feel it without having to be told.

I think DS9 was overall stronger because of the overarching storyline and the war plot. What I think fell down was the integration of the characters into this storyline. They got the characters down, and I don't want to slight that, but they didn't have start and end points for them, and they didn't think of ways for the characters to really be influenced by the long term arcs. Unlike Babylon 5, where the characters shaped events and the events shaped the characters, DS9's were far more insulated from change.

Let's use Kira as an example. She should have had a powerful arc, from her origin as a terrorist to some kind of redemption, either as an instrumental force in getting Bajor in to the Federation or keeping them out (doesn't matter which). She doesn't have to be Leader of Bajor (though now that I think about it, Kai would be an interesting twist), but she needed to go somewhere other than first officer of the station, which is effectively where she started out and ended the series.

Instead, Kira's big development is her relationship with Odo. While I was in favor of that, it's not enough, and it gets back to Trek's inability to do right by their female characters (who all end up mothers, girlfriends, or otherwise limited by traditional gender roles in ways that the guys never are).

Or Garak. Once you get past "What is Garak hiding?" you have to ask "Where is Garak going?" Apparently the writers didn't know because what they came up with -- let's abandon him on a ruined Cardassia and call it a day -- was probably not on anyone's list of what they expected or hoped for him.

You could go through all the characters. Sure, they grew. But can you point to the way that the war changed them? How events transformed them in ways you never expected? Odo is really the only one. You could also make a good case for Nog, though he was a secondary character. Ironic, in a way, that he changed much more than most of the primary characters.

[I guess I should address Worf here. Worf/Jazdia certainly did change him, but casting forced the issues here. At the end of the series, is Worf really changed by Jazdia or Ezri? Did the war change him in any substantive way? He becomes an ambassador which means...what, exactly? It's pretty telling that he pops into TNG:Nemesis without a word. Is change that is effectively invisible really change?]

And then there's Sisko. I go back and forth with him, because while I think I see what they were trying to do, I often feel like they had only a vague idea of what he was destined to do, filled the rest with mysticism, and didn't bother making sense of any it. When I look at his progression through the series, I thought he was going to much more interesting places than where he ended up, and that's mainly because they had little idea how to handle him or the Plot Device Prophets.

I think this is the result of the short-term thinking curse of Trek. They never think beyond the season they're in and write the cliffhanger before having any clue how they're going to resolve it. Rather than have a plan for the characters, they put in some 'hooks' they can use later that will work in a variety of situations. The problem has always been the willingness to make substantive change -- to build on those hooks -- and then follow up on those changes.

And this gets back to your point -- bottle shows versus long arcs. Certainly bottle shows are something that Trek does very well, and any "best of" list is going to contain many of them. I certainly wouldn't want to trade away my favorites just because they're self-contained.

But I think the solution is finding a way to work these into longer storylines. "In the Pale Moonlight" is a great example. Everything important is contained solely in that episode, but it builds on the current setting and point in time. It may have even begun as a bottle show, but integrating it into the war strengthened both the episode and the arc. More of that kind of show would have made DS9 riveting and you really would have felt and cared about the war. (Even that one, though...what were the consequences for Garak and Sisko. Yeah, right, thought so....)

This takes commitment and planning, though, and a willingness to go for broke. DS9 had already pushed the conservative Trek envelope, so it's not a surprise that there was pushback and compromise. Unfortunately, the compromise resembled one of the more destructive TNG inventions: the A/B storyline.

This was responsible for many godawful episodes. The idea was to have an A storyline and a B storyline. In theory, you could draw strong parallels between them or have interweaving plotlines or themes, and a handful of episodes did this well. In practice, you had two stories that both got shortchanged because they were either underdeveloped or undeserving ideas. Too often, two stupid ideas that had nothing to do with one another got slapped together and called an episode. Riker's father visits; meanwhile, Worf deals with Klingon nonsense. Geordi tests a new transporter technology; meanwhile, Worf deals with Alexander nonsense. Most of these episodes with "meanwhiles" were either sunk by one of the plots or sucked completely.

This was DS9's Dominion War. Rather than take episode ideas and have them factor into the war or have the war factor into them, too many plots were completely insulated and any character moments were separate (and then typically forgotten). Dax uses a past host to solve a murder. Molly of the Jungle. Jake and Nog join the U.S.S. Lord of the Flies. Let's shrink the ship! "The Sound of Her Voice"

When the A and the B are not integrated well, both of them suffer because neither one gets fully developed. I won't pretend: it's hard to do. You have to be willing to plot out changes and make them happen and resist the great Reset Button. But it's worth it. I hope the next Trek has its eye on the horizon and away from too much self-containment. If you try and do arc stories halfway, it comes out half-assed.

Man, its sad

The TNG Blu-Ray Trial is only $9.99 on Amazon

Thats good for consumers, but bad if you think about the fast price drop means it probably didnt sell

It's kind of a poor idea though, real fans are going to buy the seasons. And those people either bought it as a preview before Season 1. There's no one who's a casual fan who's going to buy that collection of episodes IMO.

[quote name='blandstalker']
I'm actually going to disagree with you a little in order to agree with you more strongly.[/QUOTE]

That was a great post. Thanks for that.

There's a lot there, and to be honest I agree with most everything there. I think the differences in opinion come down to my being okay with one-off goofy scifi. ("Shrink the Defiant? Ah what the hell, it's 2 in the morning, I'm not going anywhere.")

Of the discussion you put out there, the development of characters throughout the conflict is a very strong point, and it's definitely what I was referring to in noting how clinical the overarching conflict felt. Kira's a great example for that, you were spot on. If she doesn't seem completely caught up in that to the viewer, then how are the rest of the characters going to come off?

(Also, while Odo's change was caught up in the war, it was precipitated by many seasons of his search for Self, and as a result it's tough to chalk that change up to the War.)

I'd like to write more but I'll drone on. The point of *how* to execute an overarching story arc is worth addressing, especially as it relates to ST.

The A/B story format is something that Babylon 5 executed perfectly, they were often connected even if it wouldn't be apparent until several episodes or seasons down the line. Trek mostly used it for stories that didn't warrant their own episode.

bread's done
Back