The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

$60 is a great deal...compared to what the DVD sets were previously. Compared to other TV shows though, not so much. I understand you do get more, and it took more work to do, but still.

I think I'll wait for the used market to show me pricing first. $60 is a quite nice woodworking tool, what I'm mainly into now.

Oh my god I heard the audio problems on that 0010101 (whatever) episode. The intro looked amazing and I was like "WOW"...then the captains log started and I was like WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THE AUDIO??? god damn it. Anyways that episode and a few others are the one's that have the audio problems. The temp fix is putting it on ENGLISH audio instead of 7.1. Sucks though that this issue got passed the QA.

I am skipping around the season and on Arsenal of freedom... boy do those droid things look really toy like lol. Honestly I wouldn't have mind if that was redone in CG.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yes B5 would look great in remastered HD... the DVD's are dark :([/QUOTE]
The problem is that they'd have to re-create every CGI shot from scratch, including the special effects mixed with live action. Probably too expensive to be profitable.

If the B5 movie got made I could see it happen as a tie in but its a huge undertaking.

The Jem Hadar are one of my favorite additions to the Trek canon. Their existence raises a lot of interesting issues, it made the conflict in DS9 feel more genuine rather than being a kind of sterile Borg/Federation TNG faceoff.

I'm not that impressed with the blu ray of TNG. The lighting looks a lot better, and some effects look a bit better, but that's it. Take the saucer seperation in Encounter at Farpoint, still looks fake. It looks like a model standing still with a moving background. It still looks overall grainy as well. If I already had the DVDs I wouldn't buy this. As it is, I'll probably get them when they drop in price.

[quote name='Clak']I'm not that impressed with the blu ray of TNG. The lighting looks a lot better, and some effects look a bit better, but that's it. Take the saucer seperation in Encounter at Farpoint, still looks fake. It looks like a model standing still with a moving background. It still looks overall grainy as well. If I already had the DVDs I wouldn't buy this. As it is, I'll probably get them when they drop in price.[/QUOTE]

Well to be fair, the the original versions had matte paintings for some of the ship scenes. That approach to starbase in 001010100(whatever) looked amazing in HD. The documentary on disc 1 shows the tweeks/enhancements they did to the original composites. The matte lines are gone! The enterprise and other ship shots have shadows and lighting to them where as the original shots everything was lit up to have no shadows. Planets look amazing as well. They are no longer fuzzy colored blobs. Clak...do yourself a favor and just go ahead and take a leap on this set. At 60 bucks, you are going to be very happy as a Trekkie and it's a taste of what is to come in future seasons. The new documentaries are fascinating and tells the story of how TNG was made possible. The docs are better than the original docs from the first DVD release. Heck they even have new interviews with Rick Berman, who fans blamed for the destruction of Star Trek.

[quote name='dafoomie']The problem is that they'd have to re-create every CGI shot from scratch, including the special effects mixed with live action. Probably too expensive to be profitable.

If the B5 movie got made I could see it happen as a tie in but its a huge undertaking.[/QUOTE]

Maybe... it all depends if JMS can convince the studio that this is worth the money and time. They should atleast give him a chance to remaster the pilot, even though it's been remastered already. The station has already been rebuilt along with other models for the 2007 Lost Tales DTV movie. I do see this happening at some point.

I am looking forward to DS9 in HD. Voyager not so much. Enterprise on BR, should not be that much of a challenge since that show was mostly in HD.

Noticing that some things look worse in HD. Like any time that the view screen is showing something in space, it doesn't look right at all. The actors in the comm and navigation stations really stand out against the green screening. They could have tweaked the lighting there.

Oh, and boy am I glad this didn't become the norm on the show...

vUL9G.jpg

:rofl:

Are you shitting me? They should've had a lot more male skirts. Worf in a one piece skirt? Vavavoom!

It's not my bag, but were I ever to cosplay, I'd go TNG Male Skirt without hesitation. First choice, no question. I'd rock that shit HARD.

Something else, watch Data when Wesley falls in the water, the guy who runs after him isn't Brent Spiner.:lol:

edit-Nice recut lol.

edit 2 -You know, come to think of it, Wesley shouldn't have even been wet after that if it was fake water.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnWc4s6K9V8

The gazorra/andrewhussie edits are better than generalgrin's but they haven't made any in a couple years. The generalgrin ones have some nice arcs and consistency in story though, and they improve a lot after the 40th or 50th one (of almost 200!).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='davo1224']This is hands down my favorite one[/QUOTE]
LOL! They put together a cohesive, funny, fucked up story. That was great.

Also, I liked this a lot. A little bit of it was too nitpicky for my tastes, but overall it's a good demonstration on how they stopped giving a shit about canon in the TNG movies. And it's only part 1 of 6, lulz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=d1chtJQFQNs&NR=1

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought about most of that, especially about Troi kissing Riker, they made out all the time on the show, she's full of it.

Wow the First Contact mistakes are the worst. The one about having 24 decks when they specifically mentioned more earlier in the same movie is particularly telling of their laziness. It seems like the Borg in general seem to cause continuity errors.

What got me is that scene where Picard is cumming his pants over the invaluable artifact. I've always remembered that, but never caught the artifact in Generations. "Oh, off to the other rubble where you belong!" Insane, they JUST got done making the TV series at that point too. Surely someone would have piped up and said "Uh, Picard shouldn't be dropkicking this"

[quote name='CocheseUGA']FTFY there.[/QUOTE]
No, I mean gold. In one of those videos it goes from being a precious metal to, as Quarck put it, useless.

I gave the number (1-866-335-8936) and the process was smooth. Read off the SL number on the disc, gave them on my info, and I was on my way. Looks like the replacement discs are shipping Mid-August. Really, really fast response on their part.

Also, someone in the comments of the article ITDEFX posted said, "Do we dare tell them of the missing Phaser blast?" and posted this set of pictures. http://imgur.com/a/tjr4t#0 Hillarious. I suppose a frame-by-frame project of this magnitude won't be perfect.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Classy CBS! Doing the right thing regardless of cost. And you know seasons 2-6 won't have this issue.[/QUOTE]

There is no guaranty that this won't happen again. I am wondering how many upconverted from SD frames/seconds will start popping up each season? They talked about how they found every single piece of film because the original team(s) kept detail records of everything. But I am glad they were quick to respond to it.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I gave the number (1-866-335-8936) and the process was smooth. Read off the SL number on the disc, gave them on my info, and I was on my way. Looks like the replacement discs are shipping Mid-August. Really, really fast response on their part.

Also, someone in the comments of the article ITDEFX posted said, "Do we dare tell them of the missing Phaser blast?" and posted this set of pictures. http://imgur.com/a/tjr4t#0 Hillarious. I suppose a frame-by-frame project of this magnitude won't be perfect.[/QUOTE]

fuck...I am actually going out of the county for my honeymoon when it comes out...so I am going to have to wait til I get back.

Missing Phaser Blast? whaaa???!?!?!?!?

is that from the klingon episode?

Well, no, not an iron clad promise it won't happen again. But disc replacement is expensive. You know their QA routines will be a lot more strict.

Or it won't and they'll be dumbasses again. We'll see.

Is it me or Michael Okuda wife just sits in frame and doesn't say a word in most of these interviews? I know she's done video editing for some of the star trek series. You know what I have also noticed? The credits at the end of each episodes are the same. They didn't do like the star wars special edition where they had a SPECIAL EDITION section for those people who enhanced the film. Hmm.... You know they should put that in.

[quote name='shrike4242']S2 of TNG on BD has a release date, December 4th.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B0095XPZBC/

Currently $90.99 on Amazon, so I think it might come down a little bit before release. Probably be the same $59.99 or so we had for S1.[/QUOTE]

I saw that too... I am hoping that the 59.99 price point for first week will be a trend for the other seasons as well.

I am surprised there is so much emphasis on Measure of a man instead of Q who? for the box set. It's too bad they aren't going to do much with the Cube model as you can tell it's a bash kit in HD.

Hey has anyone gotten their season 1 disc replacements yet? web sites are reporting either people have gotten them or it's delayed til this month...

I did call for my disc replacements but the lady on the other line didn't even ask me for the numbers on disc one for verification so I had to remind her. I'm going to call tomorrow to make sure I am on the list.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I saw that too... I am hoping that the 59.99 price point for first week will be a trend for the other seasons as well.

I am surprised there is so much emphasis on Measure of a man instead of Q who? for the box set. It's too bad they aren't going to do much with the Cube model as you can tell it's a bash kit in HD.

Hey has anyone gotten their season 1 disc replacements yet? web sites are reporting either people have gotten them or it's delayed til this month...

I did call for my disc replacements but the lady on the other line didn't even ask me for the numbers on disc one for verification so I had to remind her. I'm going to call tomorrow to make sure I am on the list.[/QUOTE]
I heard they got delayed. They're fixing the missing phaser blast. Should be sent in "early September"

Here's to hoping. I got the silent treatment over email after I asked. I sent 4 replies saying "Did I provide you with the information you requested?" Finally I had to email the main address, and they finally answered me and assured me I was on the list for a replacement.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I heard they got delayed. They're fixing the missing phaser blast. Should be sent in "early September"

Here's to hoping. I got the silent treatment over email after I asked. I sent 4 replies saying "Did I provide you with the information you requested?" Finally I had to email the main address, and they finally answered me and assured me I was on the list for a replacement.[/QUOTE]

Not just the phaser blast but the whole warped stars needs to be fixed for Naked now.....now that bothers me when Picard says in his log that they are traveling at warp and the stars aren't at warp...

I really hope they come out soon because the audio mix is pretty good in 5.1/7.1.

Google is celebrating the 46th anniversary of Star Trek with a ST-inspired Google image.

There's some clickable items as well, so it's worth taking a look.

[quote name='shrike4242']Google is celebrating the 46th anniversary of Star Trek with a ST-inspired Google image.

There's some clickable items as well, so it's worth taking a look.[/QUOTE]

Ha, that was cute. Thanks!

[quote name='keithp']So apparently it's been confirmed that the title for the new movie is officially "Star Trek Into Darkness". Hmm...[/QUOTE]

Ho boy.

[quote name='keithp']So apparently it's been confirmed that the title for the new movie is officially "Star Trek Into Darkness". Hmm...[/QUOTE]
I don't know if I care for it, but if Paramount thinks that the secret to a billion box office take is to put "Dark" in the titles, then Godspeed and best of luck to them.

I'm calling it now, the Enterprise is a transformer.

I just got my replacement discs today...that was fast :) Heck they threw in a post card with the pencil drawing from the observation lounge. hmm... oh well good job paramount..

Finishing up Season 6 of Deep Space Nine today. I truly am glad to have actually taken a chance on the show. It was because of all of the glowing reviews here. At first it had several things that disinterested me (Cardassians who were very one dimensional on TNG, one main location, O'Brien, etc.) but it's been pretty exciting. I'll need to go back and re-start the discussion once I'm finished with the show.

bread's done
Back