The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Idiotekque']Every single time I have looked at your avatar, I've seen a crazy robot.

Just now did I realize it's an NBA player.

-feels stupid-[/QUOTE]

it does lookl like a transformer or gundam XD

I use the CAG collection feature as well as a folder of text files. Back when I started my lists, text files were the most useful option since I could access them through a GBA with a CompactFlash card reader while out at flea markets. I've never bothered to reproduce them in a more modern format.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Every single time I have looked at your avatar, I've seen a crazy robot.

-feels stupid-[/QUOTE]

Damnit! You just had to point that out. I liked the robot, but now I see the NBA player.

-feels stupid-[/QUOTE]

I could always tell it was Dwayne Wade from the jersey, but now that you mention it, I'm really trying to see the robot instead. I'm a Celtics fan...

-feels stupid-[/QUOTE]

Wow... I thought I was the only one!

[quote name='PenguinJim']High five! Not as good for 16:9 movies and TV, but better for everything else! :bouncy::bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Back at ya! I use my monitor just for gaming pretty much. :D

For keeping track of my game collection I use this site: http://vgcollect.com

The key vital feature here is that you can submit a game and it's immediately available to add to your collection. Every other site I've tried either made it difficult to submit games or took literally months to approve a submission.

[quote name='asheskitty']Regulars on a cheapass computer gaming thread worried about seeming too nerdy! :lol:[/QUOTE]
I try to keep it to a minimum sometimes. Lest the nerdiness swallow up my soul. :hot:

[quote name='PenguinJim']High five! Not as good for 16:9 movies and TV, but better for everything else! :bouncy::bouncy:[/QUOTE]
where's the percentage of users using a 37 inch tv as a monitor? At least ya'll have a percentage, I'm 0. :)

Found this on there too and instantly thought WTF?

Total Hard Drive Space
250 GB to 499 GB
34.23%
-0.41%

trans.gif

Less than 10 GB
0.00%
0.00%

trans.gif

10 GB to 99 GB
2.15%
-0.10%

trans.gif

100 GB to 249 GB
12.08%
-0.93%

trans.gif

250 GB to 499 GB
34.23%
-0.41%

trans.gif

500 GB to 749 GB
12.90%
-0.11%

trans.gif

750 GB to 999 GB
15.97%
+0.37%

trans.gif

Above 1 TB
22.65%
+1.18%

[quote name='asheskitty']Eeep! I just noticed in the Steam Hardware Survey that DX11 is taking over, 53% now, DX10 is down to 32%.

We're a minority? Damnit.

+1[/QUOTE]

Given that Win Vista, Win 7, and Win 8 all support DX11.0 - yep, this doesn't surprise me...

[quote name='sunasun']where's the percentage of users using a 37 inch tv as a monitor? At least ya'll have a percentage, I'm 0. :)[/QUOTE]

29.5% ...you're lumped in with everyone else at "Full HD"

[quote name='asheskitty']0.4% - 1600x1200 ...19" 20" CRTs and some 10-13 year old LCDs[/QUOTE]

Heh. That's me, and my LCD might very well be a decade old. Thinking about upgrading, but the WS form factor doesn't quite work as well on my desk.

Funny talking about stories in games, but I do happen to find it to be important to me. Certainly most of it is B-level stuff, but it all moves things around and gives me more incentive to find out what happens next. Certainly gameplay is important as well, but when I like the story (like as in To The Moon, where gameplay is minimal at best), I can put up with lesser gameplay.

But, the other way around, a crummy story can turn me off to a game with solid gameplay. For example, Bayonetta, where the "story" really gets in the way of my enjoyment of the gameplay, and I haven't picked it up in a long time.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']I do the same thing. It's just easier for me since I don't have like a thousand games. I even include genre so that I can pie chart the data to see how my preferences change over time. Though with my movie collection I use DVDProfiler and do sometimes wish there was a game parallel as it's simple to use and graphically pleasant (and there's an iPad app to boot).[/QUOTE]
That's dope lol, seeing buying trends by genre is a good idea. I have everything is listed by date too so its pretty nice to see my buying habits. The other for me is music, which I just have a ton of folders.

-feels stupid-[/QUOTE]

:lol: wow I didn't think someone would actually comment on the avy, but cool. Yeah it's Dwyane Wade (y before the a Blade ;) Celtics :roll:)

Robots & Zero are cool tho, even if I can't see it lol. I need to change to my Steam pic now my avy has been used in a post, endin' my streak I thought would never have ended. Steam pic will definitely be used alot if I make it my avy haha

also San Andreas is a horrible port.

[quote name='asheskitty']29.5% ...you're lumped in with everyone else at "Full HD"[/QUOTE]
hmmm, I'd rather be a 0. :bouncy: lol

Steam Daily Deal
Darkspore 4.99
product key can also be used to get a backup on Origin.

[quote name='sunasun']where's the percentage of users using a 37 inch tv as a monitor? At least ya'll have a percentage, I'm 0. :)

Found this on there too and instantly thought WTF?

Total Hard Drive Space
250 GB to 499 GB
34.23%
-0.41%

trans.gif

Less than 10 GB
0.00%
0.00%

trans.gif

10 GB to 99 GB
2.15%
-0.10%

trans.gif

100 GB to 249 GB
12.08%
-0.93%

trans.gif

250 GB to 499 GB
34.23%
-0.41%

trans.gif

500 GB to 749 GB
12.90%
-0.11%

trans.gif

750 GB to 999 GB
15.97%
+0.37%

trans.gif

Above 1 TB
22.65%
+1.18%
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that too. Between that and the display resolution, it seems that a *lot* of people on steam have cheapo Dell boxes or the sort.

[quote name='MC Kage']That's dope lol, seeing buying trends by genre is a good idea. I have everything is listed by date too so its pretty nice to see my buying habits. The other for me is music, which I just have a ton of folders.[/QUOTE]

I have date as well, but it's actually by game release date. I do that because I have a crappy time making decisions and if I don't know what I want to play, I'll just start with my oldest release date and go from there. A few people have called me a nerd, but if I'm to be labeled I prefer geek...there's a difference. :p

[quote name='Genocidal']I am the 0.8%! That doesn't have quite the ring to it that 1% does.[/
QUOTE]

1440p is fantastic. I heart my pcbank monitor.

[quote name='asheskitty']Yeah, I noticed that too. Between that and the display resolution, it seems that a *lot* of people on steam have cheapo Dell boxes or the sort.[/QUOTE]

Depends how they calculate the hard drive space. If it only considers the drive Steam is installed on and if the drive is partitioned and it only considers the partition.

Because if it calculates based off of that then I nearly fit into the common ones with my hard drive, but then again I partitioned a 1TB drive in almost half.

Also go 1440x900... and you know having the same monitor for the past 6(?) years!

[quote name='gilby']I thought I remembered someone posting a link to some sort of organizing database software for keeping track of owned games. Looking through my bookmarks, however, I don't see anything of the sort.

Am I imagining this? If I am, does anyone have any ideas outside of a spreadsheet file for keeping tracks of what games, keys and whatnot I have and where I have them?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this was mentioned through the riff raff, but I use Backloggery.com to keep track of my game purchases. Takes a bit to input games into their system, but if works for me, and I can separate my PC games out by store/client. It doesn't do so much genre-ification, but it can easily be sorted by beaten or not. It's what's mostly keeping me on a "beat my backlog" kick, but I know it'll never happen. I just like to keep my unplayed statistic as low as possible.

[quote name='imac2much']Haha, yeah I know that you don't like the story in RDR, but I thought it was the best story I had played in an open world game at the time, so I guess it has a special place in my heart. Since then, I think I prefer the ridiculousness of SRTT better anyway...

I do not count MGS2 or Max Payne 3 as good blends; I hate having story crammed down my throat, especially when I despise the characters and the overall cheeseball plot. I think my biggest pet peeves are stories that take themselves too seriously but are full of ridiculous situations and plot holes (like Heavy Rain and MGS3), though this may be ironic for you since I think that's how you feel about RDR.

Ghost Trick is an excellent example. This was my surprise favorite hit last year, and I agree it has an excellent mix of unique, challenging gameplay with a great narrative. Bioshock is another good example... why didn't I remember that one...

I'm able to overlook bad narratives sometimes if the gameplay is good enough, but there's something about pandering games like Bayonetta and Lollipop Chainsaw that I can't enjoy (even though I completed Bayonetta, I had to eventually start skipping all the stupid cutscenes). I prefer games with good narrative and acceptable gameplay, but I do admit I don't play a ton of adventure games since I find most of the puzzles rather obtuse and the barrier to entry quite high. Some may bemoan the simplicity of TWD, but it allowed my wife and I to focus on just making dialogue choices and enjoying the story :)[/QUOTE]

Mostly what I feel about RDR is more or less the same I feel about GTA4. Rockstar makes decent dialogue in the moment and entertaining characters sporadically but RDR was largely the same sort of neurotic assortment of morons as GTA4 and MP3 but if they were trying to create a sequence of events drawn about by characters with clear motivations, drives, and abilities to see those motivations fulfilled, they failed spectacularly every time. Same as every GTA game since 3, the bad guys are bad JUST BECAUSE someone has to be. Tenpenny had SOME grit to him but 90% of that was just because he was voiced by Samuel L. Jackson and you could at least believe a corrupt cop would kick C.J. around given the setting (At least before you hit Vegas.). Edgar Ross might have well been twirling his mustache. So I had no emotions at the ending of RDR, just a shrug of "Well, that happened." Same as at the end of GTA4.

For what it's worth, I don't even see the cheesecake inherent in Bayonetta and Lollipop Chainsaw. It was just white noise to me. I just enjoy the repartee of the characters and story. Bayonetta didn't really have anything to offer in the story department but LC has great hammy villains and it's hard not to find Juliet's bubblegum charm and her boyfriend's straight-man routine infectious. It's the same joy that made Shadows of the Damned fun, only with a GOOD expression of the gameplay it sought to make.

Adventure game puzzles are very hard to balance properly. I enjoy ones just hard enough to tax me but not obtuse enough to suck the joy out of it. The right degree of struggle can make a puzzle excellent. Remember the dead Justice Minister puzzle from Ghost Trick. I would hate to find the person who, during that slow-mo launch finale, didn't, at least internally, pump their first and shout YES in triumph at it. My only regret in Ghost Trick was that the final showdown was just a total cake walk. In 999, a cakewalk was acceptable (And about the only part of that dreadful climax that actually worked well.) because failure would have prolonged that climax in a bad way.

[quote name='Kaltic']Depends how they calculate the hard drive space. If it only considers the drive Steam is installed on and if the drive is partitioned and it only considers the partition.

Because if it calculates based off of that then I nearly fit into the common ones with my hard drive, but then again I partitioned a 1TB drive in almost half.

Also go 1440x900... and you know having the same monitor for the past 6(?) years![/QUOTE]

I had a pair of 20" Trinitrons from '97, in '05 I bought a 20" 1680x1050 IPS display to replace a (failing) one. In '08 I added a 22" 1680x1050 IPS (capable of 76 Hz). A year ago I finally broke down and got three 24" 1920x1200 IPS displays. It was so since to finally have 1200 vertical back. I've been eyeing the 27" displays, but after seeing the coarse anti-glare on the U2711 I decided to stick the the 24" for the time being. Fortunately the reviews have been looking good for the U2713HM. The 27" Catleaps/Korean imports don't fit my multi-input needs, and I prefer to pay more than chance it. I've been waiting for a good sale on a U2713HM. Though I would probably stick to gaming on my 24" until I upgrade from my GTX 260 (whole computer really).

Some years back now I picked up a Samsung 24" and a 26" (240HD and 260HD models respective) at Tiger Direct at decent prices for the day.

Both have Cable ready tuners in them, I wanted something I could use as a TV or Monitor but had hi-res for the PC end of things. I run the 26" at 1920x1200. The monitor is gorgeous and does a GREAT job of TV as well.

BGCQ's, check the Announcements.

There is a state of diminishing returns in monitor size. The bigger it is, the further you have to sit away so it doesn't look pixelated. Also, those on a budget build should consider that the bigger size monitor, the more beefy a system you will have to have to push the extra graphics. I currently have a 1366 X 768 18.5" about 2 feet from me and I think that's the sweet spot.

I think a big part of view towards the RDR story comes from the fact that not everyone is into/understands westerns. I'm a big western lover, and they generally work with that "Well, that happened." vibe. There's a lot of subtlety, casualness, and heavy helping of cliche.

RDR spoilers; don't read if you don't want the ending ruined for you:
The hero getting gunned down in a hail of gunfire is the classic, almost essential western ending. Jack just walking up and shooting the big bad guy for revenge is also a classic element.

Like I said, I love westerns, and RDR's story didn't disappoint me. I can definitely understand how some people would interpret it as badly written though, because bar the really well done newer western movies, most westerns are pretty generic and cliche. That's just how it is.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I think a big part of view towards the RDR story comes from the fact that not everyone is into/understand westerns. I'm a big western lover, and they generally work with that "Well, that happened." vibe. There's a lot of subtlety, casualness, and heavy helping of cliche.

The hero getting gunned down in a hail of gunfire is the classic, almost essential western ending. Jack just walking up and shooting the big bad guy for revenge is also a classic element.

Like I said, I love westerns, and RDR's story didn't disappoint me. I can definitely understand how some people would interpret it as badly written though, because bar the really well done newer western movies, most westerns are pretty generic and cliche. That's just how it is.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much word for word this what I would say. I loved RDR.

Thinking of buying FTL: Faster Than Light for the full price

I checked steam prices and it hasn't gone on sale thus far, Thoughts? Should I simply wait until the winter sale?

Really torn, I really want the game but can't justify paying full price

[quote name='Idiotekque']I think a big part of view towards the RDR story comes from the fact that not everyone is into/understand westerns. I'm a big western lover, and they generally work with that "Well, that happened." vibe. There's a lot of subtlety, casualness, and heavy helping of cliche.

Like I said, I love westerns, and RDR's story didn't disappoint me. I can definitely understand how some people would interpret it as badly written though, because bar the really well done newer western movies, most westerns are pretty generic and cliche. That's just how it is.[/QUOTE]

See, I didn't see RDR as a good western. That was more or less my problem with it.
I mean, how often was that an essential western ending. You are really looking at the later generation westerns if you're seeing that as the essential ending. Plus, if you ask me, you're disregarding large chunks of the story just looking at it like that. The whole story was almost going for an Apocalypse Now vibe with Marston's pursuit of Dutch taking the same sort of feel as that hunt for Kurtz. Rockstar was clearly trying to tell a "bigger" story than the average Western given how mundane the actual story events were and how much they tended to bloviate, but every theme Rockstar tried to set up just tended to wobble at best and collapse before you cleared the mission at worst. The villains had no motivation other than the hand-waved cliche of "Campaigning on cleaning up blah blah blah." Marston himself wasn't hardly tragic enough for such an end to work either, even if it wasn't so damn arbitrary. His tragedy was just moping across the wild west with a constant weary sigh across his face.

Rockstar doesn't convince me they are at one with the western genre. In fact, they almost feel like Remedy. A bunch of goofy Swedes copying American tropes. The problem is Remedy does it with an affectionate, self-deprecating grin and where they don't make their villains great in terms of motivation (MP2's Vlad) they do a damn great job giving them pathos, style, and building them up to where you can't wait to kill them. Rockstar wants to think they're writing the next great American epic and I haven't seen it in any of their games.

Thinking of buying FTL: Faster Than Light for the full price

I checked steam prices and it hasn't gone on sale thus far, Thoughts? Should I simply wait until the winter sale?
Wait for the winter sale. I didn't even think much of the whole game, to be honest, but it will without a doubt be at least 33% off at Christmas. Wouldn't be surprised if it hit 50%

[quote name='RollingSkull']See, I didn't see RDR as a good western. That was more or less my problem with it.
I mean, how often was that an essential western ending. You are really looking at the later generation westerns if you're seeing that as the essential ending. Plus, if you ask me, you're disregarding large chunks of the story just looking at it like that. The whole story was almost going for an Apocalypse Now vibe with Marston's pursuit of Dutch taking the same sort of feel as that hunt for Kurtz. Rockstar was clearly trying to tell a "bigger" story than the average Western given how mundane the actual story events were and how much they tended to bloviate, but every theme Rockstar tried to set up just tended to wobble at best and collapse before you cleared the mission at worst. The villains had no motivation other than the hand-waved cliche of "Campaigning on cleaning up blah blah blah." Marston himself wasn't hardly tragic enough for such an end to work either, even if it wasn't so damn arbitrary. His tragedy was just moping across the wild west with a constant weary sigh across his face.

Rockstar doesn't convince me they are at one with the western genre. In fact, they almost feel like Remedy. A bunch of goofy Swedes copying American tropes. The problem is Remedy does it with an affectionate, self-deprecating grin and where they don't make their villains great in terms of motivation (MP2's Vlad) they do a damn great job giving them pathos, style, and building them up to where you can't wait to kill them. Rockstar wants to think they're writing the next great American epic and I haven't seen it in any of their games.
[/QUOTE]
I do know what you mean. I don't think it was a fantastic western either, but then again, I didn't come at it expecting a great western story. I came at it thinking it was going to be a western GTA (which it is, even though I think it's better than GTA on every level). What they did do with the story, I followed and enjoyed. I find that older westerns are more cliche than the newer ones, so when they threw in the classic tropes, that was good enough for me.

All in all, good, not great story, and excellent gameplay. It's not my favorite game of all time, but I would still recommend it to anyone.

EDIT: Wait, how did RDR come up? Is it suddenly on the PC on daily sale? :p

[quote name='Mageshadow']Thinking of buying FTL: Faster Than Light for the full price

I checked steam prices and it hasn't gone on sale thus far, Thoughts? Should I simply wait until the winter sale?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RollingSkull']Wait for the winter sale. I didn't even think much of the whole game, to be honest, but it will without a doubt be at least 33% off at Christmas. Wouldn't be surprised if it hit 50%[/QUOTE]

I'd wait for the Winter Sale as well. It's not like it's months away.

FTL is ok, but there's some major flaws.

- Mostly, a lot depends on luck of what's generated. You can have bad luck and hit empty areas over and over, or be unable to get what you need to fight the boss.
- It doesn't reward you for exploring, because there's basically a turn limit.
- Once you know the "trick" to the boss, it's easier. If you don't use the "trick", the fight is many times harder.
- You can lose even though you're fighting and beating the boss. Saying more would spoil a bit.
-
Boarding is way too advantageous compared to straight out ships fighting.

I think just removing the "maximum" turn limits would have made it a better game.

FTL is modeled after roguelikes. It's punishing, full of random instadeath and not balanced in the players favor. Personally, I think it's fantastic.

If you buy it directly from their webpage you get a DRM free download and a Steam key both. Extra value, but only if you're into that sort of thing.

[quote name='Mageshadow']Thinking of buying FTL: Faster Than Light for the full price

Really torn, I really want the game but can't justify paying full price[/QUOTE]

It's a really darn good game, and worth it. That said, it will probably be on sale at some point (maybe winter sale), and 'might' get included in a humble bundle at some point.

In FTL, exploration leads to random encounters which are all literally just 50/50 chances to either win swag or lose crew. You might randomly have the item needed for that encounter to guarantee a win but there is no skill involved on your part that makes that happen.

As a roguelike, it's too simple and boring to sustain any prolonged interest.

Really torn, I really want the game but can't justify paying full price[/QUOTE]
I got it for $8 or whatever the price was on release date and have sunk about 50 hours into it already. I would pay full price for it if I had to buy it again.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I do know what you mean. I don't think it was a fantastic western either, but then again, I didn't come at it expecting a great western story. I came at it thinking it was going to be a western GTA (which it is, even though I think it's better than GTA on every level). What they did do with the story, I followed and enjoyed. I find that older westerns are more cliche than the newer ones, so when they threw in the classic tropes, that was good enough for me.

All in all, good, not great story, and excellent gameplay. It's not my favorite game of all time, but I would still recommend it to anyone.

EDIT: Wait, how did RDR come up? Is it suddenly on the PC on daily sale? :p[/QUOTE]

All of you have good points. I guess I never stopped to wonder why I enjoyed the story so much in RDR, even with the goofball characters...
honestly I think I didn't think the narrative was great until you got to spend a lot of "quality time" with your family near the end. The vibe was completely different from what I expected from sandbox games up til then.

999 was interesting but it had a lot of strange plot devices that I didn't care for, and I had to go to the official website's designer interview to get his feel for how he wanted things to be portrayed (and he didn't like a lot of the plot devices he ended up using either!!)
The whole bit about June and Santa having different watches than what it seemed (E and 9) or the last door being q instead of 9 was rather silly. It doesn't even work really since in one of the bad endings Ace is able to leave by getting a prime factor of 9! You also begin to realize that June is a cold and heartless witch with the way she is able to put everyone else's lives at stake just for hers, which the author does admit to (and why he refused to give a happy reunion between June and Junpei).

I also hated how I had to repeat the same puzzles sometimes 4 times, and that it was difficult to intuitively determine just how to get the "true" ending. I thought the sequel was better in most regards (though I didn't care much for the 3d character models). The gameplay was more intuitive, I loved how the "jump" mechanic worked not just for the flowchart aspect but also in the narrative, and I appreciated that all the dialogue was voiced (both in English and Japanese). Of course, just like 999, it ended on a relative cliffhanger...

Thankfully the end to the trilogy has been announced!
http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/3/3721214/zero-escape-director-reveals-next-game-in-series

Idiotekque: Please don't tease me with a PC port of RDR... I can't imagine how beautiful that game would look with the proper mods... We were just discussing games that had a good blend of narrative and gameplay.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Somebody needs to buy this. Somebody like Motoki.[/QUOTE]

I actually came within an inch of buying it over the Autumn sale but I rationalized not buying it buy the fact that it is by Altitude's developer and that game was in an indie bundle.

*Edit: OTOH it will likely be in Indie Royale like Altitude was which means I won't notice it until the minimum is $5+ and most of the rest of the games will be stuff that I already have or don't want.

Okay I just talked myself back into buy it for $1.25 on the next big sale.

[quote name='RollingSkull']IndieGameStand's deal of the day is PWYW for Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

And I hate to Desura this up but noted 2012 game of the year Banzai Pecan is down to $8 on Desura. http://www.desura.com/games/banzai-pecan-last-hope-for-the-young-century

I don't think this is a great game but I liked it and some folks seemed to want to know if there was a sale so... there.[/QUOTE]

I want it buy man asking a CAG to pay $8 for a single indie/retro game? You might as well be asking them to pay a million dollars.

Someday it will be cheap and it will be mine. I am patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
So last night I played Saints Row 3 for like 5 hours with a buddy. Wacky fun. I did get the infamous dildo bat, and spent a few minutes cracking up over it ... I'm not normally so juvenile, but that was pretty damn funny.

I've already got my money's worth out of that humble bundle with SR3 alone. :D

I also finished Mark of the Ninja the other day. That was a great game, so I recommend it highly if you're in the market for another stealth/platformer game.

I'm in the midst of RDR right now (just unlocked the final section with Tall Trees and Blackwater), and what bothers he is not so much the story (the dialogue and such), but how it ties into the missions.

Like in Mexico you inexplicably have to fight for both sides of a conflict in order for the story to progress (and both sides are fine with that for a time). In new Austin you murder like 30 guys just to save some random con man (who you earlier helped to swindle a different group of people for no particular reason) when the men have a very legitimate reason for wanting him dead. Basically my beef is the game has an honor system, though regardless if you are a paragon or a renegade you HAVE to take some saintly or unseemly missions in order to advance the story even if in the context of your character it makes little sense.

[quote name='zillionandnine']
I also finished Mark of the Ninja the other day. That was a great game, so I recommend it highly if you're in the market for another stealth/platformer game.[/QUOTE]
Just beat Mark of the Ninja as well. I really liked the game, even though I didn't care to much for Shank. Personally I think how it handled stealth was great. Games worth it alone just for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back