The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']But the aggregates are based on reviews and so many sites, especially Steam since they don't allow user reviews period, are leaning way too heavily on Metacritic. As far as I am concerned it's still a problem with the reviews and also in which ones metacritics deems worthy and 'professional'.

Personally, I think in this day and age with as networked and connected as we are the idea of a 'professional' review when it comes to games seems very silly to me. I don't think those people's opinion's should carry any more weight than anyone else's, especially since I find many of them to be ill informed and they also never bother to revisit when game updates are done.

I do that too but most people don't. They don't even venture off the Steam page. They just go 'Oh low metacritic number?' PASS or 'Oh high metacritic number?' BUY.

*Edit: Replied before I saw Eldredpe's post; we essentially said the same thing.

But really on the D3 most of that I think is just a huge backlash on the always online DRM. If you took that piece of it out I think the user reviews would be MUCH higher. The game itself is not terrible.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand, most of that was a backlash about the game itself both in that it was nothing like the original as you might expect a sequel to be, and simply on it's own shortcomings which were many.[/QUOTE]

Let's face it - Diablo II (ARPG) and DA: Origins (strategic-RPG) are both freaking classic gaming masterpieces. NO sequel was likely going to top the greatness that those games both put out in their respective genres. Diablo III and DA2 are both NOWHERE even remotely to being as great as their groundbreaking and Earth-shattering predecessors - even though those sequels are still good games. They're....just NOT GREAT and FAR-FAR-FAR from it.

I agree - D3 is FAR from horrible. While I don't like that I can't control every stat number (while say D2, TL1 and TL2 allow for this) and the "always online" DRM sucked (my BIGGEST complaint from D3), I still liked the game quite a bit (especially for the $10 that I spent on it). I really liked the new LORE (to read and listen to it) and that now your companions actually have a personality and banter w/ your character.

Even DA2, despite its numerous MINOR problems (A LOT of recycled environments; combat was NOWHERE as strategic as DAO; no more overhead tactical camera; some choices don't seen very important by the end-game and it don't seem like there's enough of choices by the end; story misssing some kind of "epic" touch to it; etc) -- I still somehow really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved Merrill especially; really liked a lot of the characters here; loved-to-hate Anders; liked the new and improved graphics style; liked how personal the story was; preferred Thief class in DA2 over DAO; AND liked that the combat was much faster and less clunky.

I think also that the hype for DA2 and D3 just NEVER had a chance to live up to its INSANE expectations. Sometimes, this is easier to see this all with 20/20 hindsight, of course.

While I'm at it - given how amazing Bioshock 1 was, I really hope Bioshock: Infinite lives up to its INSANE hype-o-meter...

Since people seem to be talking about it I'd like to chime in.

I played Diablo 1 and 2 for over 7 years. I see Diablo 3 as a failure, maybe not a terrible game in general just a complete failure in comparison to it's predecessors. The games was kinda fun once or twice thru. (I played when it first came out mind you.) But as soon as you hit Inferno the game was bullshit. If you were not a Demon Hunter or a Wizard you were pretty much done on the later acts.
Now I know that it is sorta fixed at this point but still. Also the USEFUL loot seems to drop so rarely while you're going thru the acts and difficulties and something always felt kinda "off" to me about the loot in general. The game just totally lacked the lasting appeal that Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 seemed to have on me. It also felt like it just didn't have the "Blizzard" feeling to it. Starcraft 2 on the other hand still felt like it had the Blizzard magic. (Also to note I killed Diablo Inferno on 3 different char classes. I don't care that the auction house was put in there, I actually kind of liked it but the always online DRM was kinda BS.)
Diablo 3 6.5/10

Torchlight 2 on the other hand... Havn't fully completed the game yet (around 55 hours in on 2 different characters) but man is it just such a FUN game. It just feels right. The useful loot especially feels like it drops at the perfect pace. Areas, enemy types and dungeons seem well varied and some of the boss fights are especially fun. I'm always eager to get back in it with my friend and play some co-op. I can easily see myself sinking 300+ hours into it.
Torchlight 2 9/10

[quote name='pantsattack']Random question: Does anyone remember a TV show from maybe around 1990? It was sci-fi, good guys bad guys stuff, robots and small space ships (think X-wing). The main hook though was characters and various enemy turrets had metallic iridescent panels on them that you could shoot as the show played. So if you had the toy of the space fighter it doubled as a pistol and when you took enough shots from enemies on TV (!) it would eject your pilot.

It was a pretty cool concept and I'd love to know what it was. Double Fine's Autonomous project brought this to mind.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='janlazer']Captain Power, I believe.[/QUOTE]
Yep, and a year ago the whole shebang was released in a mother flippin' complete series dvd collection packed with bonus features

[quote name='Detruire']It's a pity that it wasn't really Skyrim.[/QUOTE]
Can anyone confirm if this (first Broken Sword) has been claimed? (I presume so, but since no one mentioned anything....)

[quote name='Detruire']Can anyone confirm if this (first Broken Sword) has been claimed? (I presume so, but since no one mentioned anything....)[/QUOTE]

I had to log in to my secondary steam account just to check it, but it appears to have been used.

[quote name='stupidproz1']Since people seem to be talking about it I'd like to chime in.

I played Diablo 1 and 2 for over 7 years. I see Diablo 3 as a failure, maybe not a terrible game in general just a complete failure in comparison to it's predecessors. The games was kinda fun once or twice thru. (I played when it first came out mind you.) But as soon as you hit Inferno the game was bullshit. If you were not a Demon Hunter or a Wizard you were pretty much done on the later acts.
Now I know that it is sorta fixed at this point but still. Also the USEFUL loot seems to drop so rarely while you're going thru the acts and difficulties and something always felt kinda "off" to me about the loot in general. The game just totally lacked the lasting appeal that Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 seemed to have on me. It also felt like it just didn't have the "Blizzard" feeling to it. Starcraft 2 on the other hand still felt like it had the Blizzard magic. (Also to note I killed Diablo Inferno on 3 different char classes. I don't care that the auction house was put in there, I actually kind of liked it but the always online DRM was kinda BS.)
Diablo 3 6.5/10

Torchlight 2 on the other hand... Havn't fully completed the game yet (around 55 hours in on 2 different characters) but man is it just such a FUN game. It just feels right. The useful loot especially feels like it drops at the perfect pace. Areas, enemy types and dungeons seem well varied and some of the boss fights are especially fun. I'm always eager to get back in it with my friend and play some co-op. I can easily see myself sinking 300+ hours into it.
Torchlight 2 9/10[/QUOTE]

I'm playing through it now and keep in mind I only spent $10 for it, I'm getting into it after a bunch of patches hit and I am not that far into it yet but I like it so far.

I guess I am in the minority in that I'm not really playing for the items primarily but more the hack and slash, atmosphere and dare I even say I am kind of surprised that I'm actually liking the story even. It won't win any awards or anything, but I like all the narrated journals and how the game refers back to locales and events in the first game. The followers are a really nice addition too.

Visually, while it won't wow anyone in the modern era, I think it's rather nice. In fact I find myself wishing there were a Baldur's Gate or Ultima or even Gothic done in the same sort D3 updated isometric visuals. I guess there's the new Divinity game coming that's going to be isometric so there's that.

Not every game has to be in First Person or 3rd Person over the should so at least maybe will start seeing so more overhead view games now.

[quote name='The End']I had to log in to my secondary steam account just to check it, but it appears to have been used.[/QUOTE]
Cheers, means that it's another key to cross off of my list.

Conquest of Elysium 3 is pretty great thus far. Ridiculously easy to learn the basics of since there's no base building or city management and very little in the way of development for your units, plus combat is automated. Despite that it seems to still have a good amount of depth (Each faction seems to play fairly significantly differently) and it's satisfying running around the map scooping up towns and building armies.

I was gonna say the AI might be questionable, but it may just be the barbarians have an easier early-game than the Cthulhu cultist race. The Cthulhu AI player wandered up near my camp early game and I squished both his armies and commanders super easily. Now I've found a troll/goblin AI player and he's much more dangerous. Has an ancient wizard troll who can summon frogs which is a major pain in the ass since it makes a bunch of distractions for my soldiers to fight while his real troops wail on them.

Cool game, saved an otherwise terrible indie royale.

[quote name='MysterD']
While I'm at it - given how amazing Bioshock 1 was, I really hope Bioshock: Infinite lives up to its INSANE hype-o-meter...[/QUOTE]

Well, Bioshock 2 came in between, and that was a step down from the first (still good, but more of a rehash), so Infinite doesn't have to worry about being the bastard stepchild, I guess.

So I finally got around to installing Diablo 3, over a week since it arrived. It was all in all quite confusing and far too much effort. First I had to break into this outer envelope thing. Then figure how to open the damn box, shuffle through "guest passes" and stuff to finally find this round silvery thing. So I pop it into my computer and launch the installer... after some confusion and aborted attempts (and a reboot) I figured how to install it to E:\Games\ (on the accept EULA screen, WTF?). So then the disc starts spinning, making lots of noise, so I decide to go take a shower and wash my hair. When I finish it's still not done. A few minutes later the disc finally stopped spinning, now it wants to download stuff, and chew most of my CPU while downloading. I haven't even gotten around to precisely copying some long alphanumeric code from print media into my battle.net account. Jeez... Kinda makes me appreciate my steam pruchases, a couple of mouse clicks, and maybe a copy-paste.

[quote name='Motoki']I'm tired and my brain hurts so I'm not doing any fancy tricks just a spoiler tag

Greed Corp

*Edit: got Greeded[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Syntax Error']I have no idea if this is good or not.
[/QUOTE]

Remember guys, the code to make something appear invisible is #202026...

Did you really think I was going to give you a code? :p

[quote name='SeymourGams']I just caught up on the thread...

That Biglen kid really did send me a PM; I thought he was joking!

"hey any chance you can pm a code of skyrim? saw u said u have another. just not at home to activate if you was to post it and i have been dying to finally try that game out"[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've gotten a couple pm's from him and a couple other people. I really believed people knew we were joking :bouncy:

[quote name='sunasun']Yeah, I've gotten a couple pm's from him and a couple other people. I really believed people knew we were joking :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

That's what you get for playing with people's emotions like that. You're all horrible people.

[quote name='Blade']Remember guys, the code to make something appear invisible is #202026...

Did you really think I was going to give you a code? :p[/QUOTE]

I played your little game. Got tripped up on MC Kage's name though. Off the top of my head, I thought Kage started with a C.

:(

But at least I knew his Avatar was Dwyane Wade.

Re: D3, you can't really discount user reviews because they mention the always-on. Like it or not (and I certainly didn't), it's part of the game and is basically cited as a feature. Sure, it got review bombed by halfwits, but it's a legitimate aspect of the experience to consider.

I played some Everyday Genius: Squarelogic this week. That game learning tool is pretty cool.

[quote name='The End']I played your little game. Got tripped up on MC Kage's name though. Off the top of my head, I thought Kage started with a C.

:(

But at least I knew his Avatar was Dwyane Wade.[/QUOTE]

You're in the second one. ;) And yes, I was bored.

Bleh. Apparently Jet Set Radio on Steam is buggered. Ran it and it was running way too slow. Found a guy who hacked it and you need a program to set it to 30 FPS. Also, I don't know if I can play it with a keyboard.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Surprised no one mentioned that the ability to install games to another drive is out of beta as well.[/QUOTE]

I saw that. Freakin' awesome, as I'm sure my new 3 TB drive will fill up eventually.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Re: D3, you can't really discount user reviews because they mention the always-on. Like it or not (and I certainly didn't), it's part of the game and is basically cited as a feature. Sure, it got review bombed by halfwits, but it's a legitimate aspect of the experience to consider.[/QUOTE]

I do have to admit, they make teaming up pretty easy. Basically, I just consider Diablo III an MMoG.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Re: D3, you can't really discount user reviews because they mention the always-on. Like it or not (and I certainly didn't), it's part of the game and is basically cited as a feature. Sure, it got review bombed by halfwits, but it's a legitimate aspect of the experience to consider.[/QUOTE]

I do have to admit, they make teaming up pretty easy. Basically, consider D3 an MMoG.

STARTROPICS? WHERE? I played that on NES, so lovely.
Disappointed Far Cry 3 doesn't have achievements, would be a perfect game for it being open world. I don't like non-steam works games. Its just bad all over.
Here's hoping and praying that Terraria's successor gets Steam achievements. Starbound will be my goty 2013.

On other note. Looking forward to scouring GOty 2012 lists to fill up my Steam wishlist for winter sales! YES!

[quote name='TheLongshot']Bleh. Apparently Jet Set Radio on Steam is buggered. Ran it and it was running way too slow. Found a guy who hacked it and you need a program to set it to 30 FPS. Also, I don't know if I can play it with a keyboard.[/QUOTE]

PWlee daosne'stencdomnedaolnien hkatcoktihnegh haecrke!.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Bleh. Apparently Jet Set Radio on Steam is buggered. Ran it and it was running way too slow. Found a guy who hacked it and you need a program to set it to 30 FPS. Also, I don't know if I can play it with a keyboard.[/QUOTE]

Why would you set it to 30? What does it run at otherwise? X(

[quote name='walkonshadows']PWlee daosne'stencdomnedaolnien hkatcoktihnegh haecrke!.[/QUOTE]

More like hacked a fix. It is posted in the Steam forum.

[quote name='pantsattack']Why would you set it to 30? What does it run at otherwise? X([/QUOTE]

It runs way too fast without limiting frame rate.

[quote name='KaOTiK']Surprised no one mentioned that the ability to install games to another drive is out of beta as well.[/QUOTE]
So do ALL games allow it now? I enabled it in the dev menu awhile ago, but certain games still didn't allow you to select which install location you wanted. In fact I think I ran into that a few days ago...

(Not really a big deal if you know how to symlink though.)

I have no idea what people are complaining about with JSR. When I played it a few weeks back it seemed just fine.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Re: D3, you can't really discount user reviews because they mention the always-on. Like it or not (and I certainly didn't), it's part of the game and is basically cited as a feature. Sure, it got review bombed by halfwits, but it's a legitimate aspect of the experience to consider.

I played some Everyday Genius: Squarelogic this week. That game learning tool is pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Imo, the always-online nature of it is a clear given. I don't see the value of that in user reviews. It's not a hidden gotcha. i however agree it sucks. Moreso, it adds unnecessary lag in my single player gaming.

[quote name='Idiotekque']So do ALL games allow it now? I enabled it in the dev menu awhile ago, but certain games still didn't allow you to select which install location you wanted. In fact I think I ran into that a few days ago...

(Not really a big deal if you know how to symlink though.)[/QUOTE]

In my experience, no. Not a big deal if you have a 2TB drive dedicated to steam =) Telling Diablo 3 where to install was just daft. It's on the screen with the EULA.

[quote name='asheskitty']In my experience, no. Not a big deal if you have a 2TB drive dedicated to steam =) Telling Diablo 3 where to install was just daft. It's on the screen with the EULA.[/QUOTE]
Becomes an issue when you run Steam from an SSD like I do. Symlinking solves the problem easily though. Not as complicated as people make it out to be.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Becomes an issue when you run Steam from an SSD like I do. Symlinking solves the problem easily though. Not as complicated as people make it out to be.[/QUOTE]

Unless you run Steam from an SSD, and your other 4TBs are ext4.

[quote name='elessar123']Unless you run Steam from an SSD, and your other 4TBs are ext4.[/QUOTE]
I don't use any external hard drives. Have a big fat laptop with two drives (and room for another when I need more space).

[quote name='Mooby']When I need room I delete games. True story.[/QUOTE]
For example.

1. Download LA Noire (13GB).
  2. Install LA Noire.
  3. Launch LA Noire.
  4. Nothing happens.
  5. Spend 2 hours scouring the net to see what's wrong.
  6. Spend another 2 hours trying ridiculous fixes.
  7. Fail.
  8. Ragequit and delete everything that says "LA Noire" on your PC.
  9. Hold yourself back from deleting all other Rockstar games on your PC out of sheer rage.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I don't use any external hard drives. Have a big fat laptop with two drives (and room for another when I need more space).[/QUOTE]

ext4 doesn't mean external =P It's a linux file system.

[quote name='elessar123']ext4 doesn't mean external =P It's a linux file system.[/QUOTE]
Ah, I had no idea, so I Googled it and came up with tons of people talking about ext4 and external hard drives, so I just figured that's what it was, lol.

Man... I wanna buy a new HDD for my games but hard to bite the bullet on Western Digital Black 2TB at $170, when the WD Green 3TB is $150. I want dat speed tho. Only got 528GB of games so far.

[quote name='asheskitty']I really hate how WD fragmented the HD space. I miss the old 7200/5400 RPM distinction (and how much cache does it have).[/QUOTE]
Not sure what you mean, their 4 color tiers instead of 2?

I think I'm gonna buy that Black, $10 savings expires on Thurs. Currently have my games on a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='walkonshadows']PWlee daosne'stencdomnedaolnien hkatcoktihnegh haecrke!.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheLongshot']More like hacked a fix. It is posted in the Steam forum.
It runs way too fast without limiting frame rate.[/QUOTE]

Damn, was I too subtle with the secret message?:cry:

Today is Help A CAG Day - Hard Drive Special!

I'm a hardware noob. I need a new HD, my existing one is 500gb and full with music and Steam. It's the only HD I have. I need another, obviously.

I'd like the flexibility of installing games and just leaving them there for future use, at present I'm taking the Mooby approach of deleting stuff I won't play for a while. Not ideal.

So, in short, what's all this colour nonsense all about (green/blue/black)? Are there any brands to aim for or avoid? Any key factors to consider? Budget is around £60.

I HAVE A DEAL I HAVE A DEAL STOP PRESS I ACTUALLY HAVE A DEAL.

FTL: Faster Than Light is 40% off ($5.99) at FTLgame.com and GoG.com. If you buy direct from the site you get a Steam code for it.

I've posted my thoughts on FTL before but I like it for the exact reasons some people hate it. One of my favourite games this year.

[quote name='Someone']Do people really care about G4?[/Quote]
My guess would be no, since the entire channel was cancelled a few months ago, and will be wrapped up in a few more weeks. It's being replaced with something that is supposed to target the male demographic, so according to my pals that work there, this is why they've pulled the plug on the video game show and the technology stuff and whatnot.

[quote name='Mooby']...It's not a matter of 'large scale payoffs' rather these people's livelihoods/jobs depend on their relationships with publishers. Hence, 'cottage industry.' Otherwise, I'm not prone to conspiracy theories, aliens did 9/11, Illuminati, what have you.
[/QUOTE]
In your first post I thought you were referring to bloggers, but now I'm just curious what you think this term means.

Speaking of hard drive space, I've got a question. I would like to uninstall some of the steam games I've completed, however if I decide I want to reinstall them I don't want to have to start over from the beginning. Is there any way to delete/uninstall a game from steam (by using the "delete local content" option), yet keep all the save and profile data so that if I reinstall the game I can pick up where I left off?

[quote name='Flowette']I HAVE A DEAL I HAVE A DEAL STOP PRESS I ACTUALLY HAVE A DEAL.

FTL: Faster Than Light is 40% off ($5.99) at FTLgame.com and GoG.com. If you buy direct from the site you get a Steam code for it.

I've posted my thoughts on FTL before but I like it for the exact reasons some people hate it. One of my favourite games this year.[/QUOTE]

A deal?! You can't post deals in this forum! I'm PMing a mod.

In other news, I have some lame giveaways today. . .

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/mgrOc/anomaly-warzone-earth

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/RWsuV/bittrip-runner

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/emn2m/greed-corp

Too lazy to make the graphical links but these games shouldn't be a mystery to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back