The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Sans-DLC, once again.... :headache:

Regular daily is 75% off the Half-Life games.
I doubt they'd put BioShock: Infinite DLC on sale, since the major DLC's (i.e. Burial at Sea Episodes) really ain't even been released yet!

EDIT:

Looks like OLD Bioshock stuff's on sale, too....

75% off

Bioshock 1 & 2 Pack [Bioshock 1 + Bioshock 2 (base game)] = $10

Bioshock 1 = $5

Bioshock 2 (base game)= $5

50% off

Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den DLC = $5.

Did anyone ever find out why the original DIRT is no longer being sold? It's impossible to search the googles without getting flooded with news about DIRT 4 (or 3 or 2 or Showdown) or used ebay copies. That remains my favorite Codemasters rally game.
Codemasters doesn't really care about old games. They're really happy to let the licenses for old games expire in favor of newer ones. They even removed the older Colin McRae game from GOG despite it being a decent seller.

Freakin' jerks.

I really hope Dirt 2 gets fixed. But I doubt it.

Before anyone gets too excited I'm sure they're shipping the ones with Titans and 780's to the media (they said a good portion of the 300 were going to preselected people with the rest being in that open lottery). As far as the specs go you'll still be able to play nextgen games at 'recommended' specs for the next two or three years with a 760 or equivalent. That said, if you play at massive resolutions and need ultra fidelity then... yeah... you'll have to fork over $500+ for a GPU.
I was pretty surprised seeing the list of specs and how high end this thing is going to be. In my opinion, all Valve has to do is make it comparable to the XBox One and PS4. I've heard people making claims about how quickly it will become "outdated" and that you won't be able to play new games with max graphics. But what exactly do these people think happens with a normal console? It's not like those are upgradeable. The games are just dumbed down for their level of graphical power. Sure, it's different with PC games. But a lot of games now can detect your hardware and default to optimal settings anyway. That's all the Steambox needs to do.

If the intent of this thing is to truly compete with Microsoft and Sony, with no thought of replacing the PC that a hardcore gamer would build himself, then they don't really have to worry about upgrades (other than maybe selling "boost packages" where you send your Steambox in for a tune up for the dummies who don't know how to do anything themselves). Even if three years down the road, it can't run Crysis 5 with ultra graphics...it would still be capable of everything the Xbox One and PS4 are.

As it stands, it's going to be more powerful/expensive than those consoles...which I don't think is bad. I just think it creates a bigger mountain to climb for Valve, who is going to have to explain to the "living room crowd" how PC gaming works and that the system itself might cost more, but games are a lot cheaper. They're going to have to use some kind of comparison like "Nobody is going to buy JUST an Xbox One. They're going to buy an Xbox One and 3-4 games. Those games are going to be $60 each! When you add that all up, you can get a Steambox, and set yourself up for much cheaper game purchases down the road."

If Valve focuses on the right things and markets this thing properly, I think it could easily slide in and steal a good number of next-gen sales. And if it catches on, Microsoft and Sony are in trouble...because they have nothing to compete with the sales model that Steam has. It might take a while, but this is the direction digital games were supposed to take us in...not the BS system that Microsoft was trying to create.

I still think the SteamBox's success hinges on how much Linux support Valve can manage from bigger name publishers. Another thing no one seems to be talking about is what about third party games that require their own clients (EA and Ubisoft come to mind). I think most of the people buying X1s and PS4s are going to want to play those games, and if they are simply MIA on the SteamBox well...that could be a problem :whistle2:k

I still think the SteamBox's success hinges on how much Linux support Valve can manage from bigger name publishers. Another thing no one seems to be talking about is what about third party games that require their own clients (EA and Ubisoft come to mind). I think most of the people buying X1s and PS4s are going to want to play those games, and if they are simply MIA on the SteamBox well...that could be a problem :whistle2:k
That's a good point. It just makes you wonder what's more likely, Valve bending to accomodate more publishers, or the publishers bending to accomodate Valve. I guess the SteamOS does become a wildcard here, and it would seem silly for Valve to limit themselves on games that are capable of running on the Steambox. But I guess we'll see. I'd be shocked if they got the "Nintendo Treatment" though, haha.

As someone who would just build his PC anyway, I guess the Steambox idea is more symbolic to me. Just Valve saying "Oh, you thought you owned the living room gaming market? Well...guess what.." Even if it can change the way people think about obtaining their games, that could create some buzz.

I doubt they'd put BioShock: Infinite DLC on sale, since the major DLC's (i.e. Burial at Sea Episodes) really ain't even been released yet!

EDIT:

Looks like OLD Bioshock stuff's on sale, too....

75% off

Bioshock 1 & 2 Pack [Bioshock 1 + Bioshock 2 (base game)] = $10

Bioshock 1 = $5

Bioshock 2 (base game)= $5

50% off

Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den DLC = $5.
Also, it sounds like they have patched in Minerva's Den for free if you already own Bioshock 2.

Source.

I just finished Bioshock Infinite last night. Bummed the season pass isn't on sale yet!

Also, it sounds like they have patched in Minerva's Den for free if you already own Bioshock 2.

Source.

I just finished Bioshock Infinite last night. Bummed the season pass isn't on sale yet!
We discussed the free Minerva's Den DLC a few pages ago, yes.

I'm hoping for a cheap Mafia II Deluxe tomorrow, but I doubt it. Or they could offer a Deluxe upgrade, but I also doubt it. :p

Source.

They didn't start off real strong with the Season Pass content, in my opinion. The whole arena thing was not at all what I think most people wanted. The strong part of B:I is the story and they spent 1/3 of my pre-paid DLC on the weakest part: the shooting.

Ultimately, though the teasers I've seen for the next DLC look promising, it may be wise to hold off and see just how good the rest will truly be.

That's a good point. It just makes you wonder what's more likely, Valve bending to accomodate more publishers, or the publishers bending to accomodate Valve. I guess the SteamOS does become a wildcard here, and it would seem silly for Valve to limit themselves on games that are capable of running on the Steambox. But I guess we'll see. I'd be shocked if they got the "Nintendo Treatment" though, haha.

As someone who would just build his PC anyway, I guess the Steambox idea is more symbolic to me. Just Valve saying "Oh, you thought you owned the living room gaming market? Well...guess what.." Even if it can change the way people think about obtaining their games, that could create some buzz.
I don't see how a Steambox is changing anything about the way people think about obtaining games. Consoles already have introduced gamers to digital gaming and have gone further with gamesharing and stuff like PS+. In fact, most indie games now are just xbla or mobile game ports that make their way to steam late. I think this just a necessary move by Steam to not be left behind.

So:

- FUEL keys from Gamefly arrive Monday

- Reprisal keys are gonna take a while because the dev wants to enhance it before putting it up on the store

- Depth Hunter keys aren't dated but it seems ready

- Knytt Underground keys aren't dated but it seems ready

- I know there are others but they've slipped my mind. Is there a site that lists all (Steam) keys to which I'm entitled?

Who's Gaming Now?! 
Announcement

A few extra deals
Sonic Generations £3.99 
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SONICGEN/sonic-generations

What is that after the glitch discount or whatever weaselly shit you call it?

What is that after the glitch discount or whatever weaselly shit you call it?
Ron-Weasley.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/141030686/846959998124189243/

It's a bit old so who knows now it HAS been greenlit, but it sounds as if they may put it up for a few bucks if they decide to charge. Sounds like a smart move to me, but I never played it on Desura so I'm not sure what they were charging for (if anything) after it went F2P.

EDIT: but that would go against them saying Reprisal was going to stay free forever:

LAST17 - JON said:
So after some thinking we have decided to make Reprisal completely free to play ... forever! We want to really focus on our next game, Battle Keep which we are amped about.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/141030686/1371045334

I don't pay attention to hardware deals. MysterD and other shameless stockpilers:

Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 Black Desktop Hard Drive ($69.99 after promo code EMCYTZT4559)

Is this worthy?
I don't have that particular drive.

I do have 2 External Seagate Hard Drives:

One is 500 GB; the second is 2 TB.

I love those - one of the best things I ever did, namely to free-up internal HDD space for more game-running on the internals.

I think it depends what you want to do w/ the external hard drives, honestly.

I use externals to store media stuff - my pictures; music; game folders/files (especially if they're bigger than a few DVD discs).

I'd use an internal to run a game off, not an external.

USB is just not super-duper fast, when compared to internals.

Besides storing music - playing music is perfectly fine off an external. :D

EDIT:

I spent $85 on my 2 GB external during Black Friday last year (2012).

Has anyone else noticed the "you've played X hours" counter acting weird? However long I have the Steam client open, it adds that time to every game.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/141030686/846959998124189243/

It's a bit old so who knows now it HAS been greenlit, but it sounds as if they may put it up for a few bucks if they decide to charge. Sounds like a smart move to me, but I never played it on Desura so I'm not sure what they were charging for (if anything) after it went F2P.

EDIT: but that would go against them saying Reprisal was going to stay free forever:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/141030686/1371045334

What's all that "This Game has been Greenlit by the Community" stuff?

Ah, yes. I forgot that free-to-play shit has to be erratically and arbitrarily greenlit sometimes. Cool.

Has anyone else noticed the "you've played X hours" counter acting weird? However long I have the Steam client open, it adds that time to every game.
Yeah, it said I had played Bit Trip Runner for 10 hours today, when really I've only logged about an hour total or so into the game.

I still can't believe I don't own a Steam copy of Half-Life 2 or the Episodes...
I don't own any of the Half-Life games period which begs the question - Which of them are worth playing? I keep wanting the Orange Box but they keep not putting it on sale. The Half-Life Collection appears to contain some stuff that you can't buy separately. Is the whole shebang worth $9.99 or is Half-Life Half-Life no matter which version you play?

I don't own any of the Half-Life games period which begs the question - Which of them are worth playing? I keep wanting the Orange Box but they keep not putting it on sale. The Half-Life Collection appears to contain some stuff that you can't buy separately. Is the whole shebang worth $9.99 or is Half-Life Half-Life no matter which version you play?
Buy the complete collection from somebody in the Steam trading forums. There's people there who can sell it for cheap ($6). It's worth it, because then you get Half Life 1/2 in addition to Half Life 2 Episodes 1/2, which if bought separately on the Steam store would run you like 8 or 9 bucks. Plus all the other stuff.

Buy the orange box, it's been on sale for $5.00 (will definitely hit that price this winter). Until then, play Black Mesa for free.

If you dont any Half-Life games, you will be slapped by Gaben!
I held out until this year's (2013) summer sale when I got slapped into the Valve Complete pack and the lure of card funbux was too great for me to resist. Tried out the original Half-Life, and a handful of the Source multiplayer games, but kept thinking about how I would rather be playing TF2 than any of those. Then while playing TF2, I would think about how much I would rather be playing something else.

Guess Gabe won that particular war.

Thanks for that reminder (sometimes I forget what year I'm living in).
Well, wait until we start time-travelling and multi-verse travelling.

Then we'll all be all messed-up. ;)
Just last week I wrote 2014 on a check.

OMG - is it me, or am I just terrible w/ strategy games?

I was doing okay in the beginning...

...but now I'm playing horrid in XCOM EU.

EDIT:

Playing on Normal, BTW.

EDIT:

Playing on Normal, BTW.
YOU SUCK! Nah, I was pretty bad at it until everyone was beefed up to the point a new game made me groan because their aim was terrible (one block away and 60% hit chance? Nope!) fuck now I want to play it! Wanna MP?

YOU SUCK! Nah, I was pretty bad at it until everyone was beefed up to the point a new game made me groan because their aim was terrible (one block away and 60% hit chance? Nope!) fuck now I want to play it! Wanna MP?
Is everybody bad at this game on their 1st run-through?

No thanks (on the MP).

EDIT:

Playing on Normal, BTW.
yup u dont know how to stragety u better listen to best stragety guy evere give money to big universe and protect adnd blana. jk i like RTS more turn based moree than Grand RTS. i restragety if it doesnt work i usually defend first attack later for rts turnbased man that hard as hell i havent done much there sad but true

EDIT:
Playing on Normal, BTW.

Maybe you're going too fast. I always move from cover to cover and almost always leaving my troops on overwatch.

Also, I always go with 1 heavy, 2 assaults, 2 support and 1 sniper. Also, be careful when covering behind vehicles.

EDIT:

Playing on Normal, BTW.
I'm in a rush, so I'm copy and pasting some notes I took. This is a combination of strats I pulled off the interwebz combined with my own experience. Hope it helps.

start in asia, then get africa
engineers asap
thermo and nexus up asap

stockpile satellites before uplinks are ready
use arc throwers to get research credits and free weapons
use frag grenades!
assign satellites one day before council meeting
snipers are the core of every team. use two and level all the way up asap. abilities: squad sight, disabling shot, opportunist, double tap
heavies: suppress, holo aim, heat ammo - and shoot with them first!
use rifles instead of shotguns on assault soldiers
scope useful on every class
2 ravens in every region, no weapon upgrades until emp (or plasma)
get firestorm before researching hyperwave relay
There's a lot more detail I could go into given time. Maybe some of this will help you for now. Good luck!

EDIT:

Playing on Normal, BTW.
Maybe you're going too fast. I always move from cover to cover and almost always leaving my troops on overwatch.

Also, I always go with 1 heavy, 2 assaults, 2 support and 1 sniper. Also, be careful when covering behind vehicles.
^^

My thoughts exactly. I was getting anihalated when I first played it, because I was just running until I saw an enemy then hoping I had time to get back into cover or shoot it before their turn came. DON'T DO THIS. Just take it slow, spam overwatch, and never dash if you can at all help it (if you have to cover two moves worth do it in two moves). It's a hard game to be sure, but once you get the hang of it is insanely satisfying. Basically, don't let these setbacks get to you, almost everyone makes mistakes their first time through (heck I lost my whole first game since I play on ironman) ;)

I stopped caring about my stats ever since idling became the new playing.

Thanks for that reminder (sometimes I forget what year I'm living in).

timbaldingbushes_zps607d6de5.png

timbaldingroundgif_zpsd9b15d28.gif
: Debbie Downer??

Well, wait until we start time-travelling and multi-verse travelling.

Then we'll all be all messed-up. ;)

Oh, I'll wait.

If you dont any Half-Life games, you will be slapped by Gaben!

788801261_625600.gif

Are we really gonna sit here and acknowledge extremely harmful drugs in a forum for tweens?

How long?

hehe

There's an Alienware giveaway you can enter with one click if you have an account. I only had to click the pic in the e-mail:

LOL-gamergrab-600x400.jpg
Every week for four weeks we'll be selecting lucky winners to receive great gaming prizes!
Just enter once and you'll be eligible to win in every remaining selection period!

Winners will be selected and contacted on the following days:

Monday, October 7 (4 Winners) - $50 Steam Gift Cards
Monday, October 14 (4 Winners) - $50 Amazon Gift Cards
Monday, October 21 (8 Winners) - $25 Riot Point Cards
Monday, October 28 (4 Winners) - $50 Steam Gift Cards

use rifles instead of shotguns on assault soldiers
I agree with almost everything you said, except this.

Run-and-gun plus rapid-fire means you can sprint your assaults right up to something tough, and blast the heck out of it. VERY useful, especially towards the endgame with Alloy Cannons.

This is me at night with dark room and computer trying to find a game

"Heh, Anna EE's screenshots looks like a Dear Ester type of game, let's try that"

*Loads up Anna EE*

"What's this? I need an account AKA another DRM? Fine"

*Gets the account set up and loads game*

"Lets see how good this game is!"

*Watches intro, sees creepy face and mention of Anna*

"It's probably nothing, not intended to be scary"

*Reads "From my nightmares" in the subtitles*

XFu47.gif

And here I thought I should play that instead of Metro 2033 considering I'm a wuss with horror games.

"Heh, Anna EE's screenshots looks like a Dear Ester type of game, let's try that"

*Loads up Anna EE*

XFu47.gif

And here I thought I should play that instead of Metro 2033 considering I'm a wuss with horror games.
You should try playing Amnesia and the first Dead Space. Alone. In the dark. Simultaneously. You won't think it's scary, you'll like it, I promise.

I missed all the friendship love the other day. Feel free to add me on steam. Id like to populate my list a little more too

DarthStryk3R
added you, sorry ;)

In my defense, when this picture was taken, someone across the aisle had just ripped a cabbage fart.

Thanks for linking. Voted immediately. On this date in 2013.
something seems not quite right with your post.

hehe

There's an Alienware giveaway you can enter with one click if you have an account. I only had to click the pic in the e-mail:

LOL-gamergrab-600x400.jpg
Every week for four weeks we'll be selecting lucky winners to receive great gaming prizes!
Just enter once and you'll be eligible to win in every remaining selection period!
Winners will be selected and contacted on the following days:
Monday, October 7 (4 Winners) - $50 Steam Gift Cards
Monday, October 14 (4 Winners) - $50 Amazon Gift Cards
Monday, October 21 (8 Winners) - $25 Riot Point Cards
Monday, October 28 (4 Winners) - $50 Steam Gift Cards
thanks for this, I found it in my inbox too. Maybe I should actually read emails instead of just skimming through them lol.

*Loads up Anna EE*

XFu47.gif

:rofl:

As someone who's been playing Anna lately (wouldn't advise it) and is also a chicken, I can tell you that it is NOT creepy. Maybe a little unsettling at times, but there is no danger whatsoever that I've seen, and some of the obvious budget cuts make parts that are intended to be scary unintentionally hilarious. So far it's pretty bad though, so you aren't missing much if you skip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back