The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

[quote name='Snuckles']Now is it easy to install these and get the right compatible models or take it to someone and pay em to install it?

I've been looking at tutorials and they look really easy.[/QUOTE]

Pretty easy as long as you know you have compatible parts. Know what precautions to take like making sure you're grounded, super simple stuff.

[quote name='Snuckles']Ok, so playing FFXIV has me wanting to upgrade my computer. I'm running a little laggy and asking around it doesn't seem like its everyone. Just my computer.

Ran a test on Can you run it(I'm not too smart on computer specs but I trust the site) and it says i should upgrade my Processor and Graphics card.

Now is it easy to install these and get the right compatible models or take it to someone and pay em to install it?

Finished my first build from scratch and installing the cpu was scary at first but it dropped right in. The heatsink + fan was easy as well (AM3). The pins are a lot more study than they make them out to be. Though I can see how trying to fix a bent pin would be a nightmare. A graphics card is just as easy as installing another pci card. Anyway, ran into some snags. with my build. Found a bad stick of RAM. I thought it was sure to work seeing as the ram is from Corsair. Being paranoid I took off the HSF a third time and the thermal compound smeared everywhere...I'm anal about those things and might have to clean it up and replace it with some artic silver. Though I may just wait until January when I plan on buying an aftermarket cooler.

[quote name='iRent']Finished my first build from scratch and installing the cpu was scary at first but it dropped right in. The heatsink + fan was easy as well (AM3). The pins are a lot more study than they make them out to be. Though I can see how trying to fix a bent pin would be a nightmare. A graphics card is just as easy as installing another pci card. Anyway, ran into some snags. with my build. Found a bad stick of RAM. I thought it was sure to work seeing as the ram is from Corsair. Being paranoid I took off the HSF a third time and the thermal compound smeared everywhere...I'm anal about those things and might have to clean it up and replace it with some artic silver. Though I may just wait until January when I plan on buying an aftermarket cooler.[/QUOTE]

Which AMD processor did you get? The fan that came with my Phenom II x4 gets ridiculously loud. I constantly have to go into control center and bring it down because its running between 5000 and 6000 rpms.

[quote name='Snuckles']Ok, so playing FFXIV has me wanting to upgrade my computer. I'm running a little laggy and asking around it doesn't seem like its everyone. Just my computer.

Ran a test on Can you run it(I'm not too smart on computer specs but I trust the site) and it says i should upgrade my Processor and Graphics card.

Now is it easy to install these and get the right compatible models or take it to someone and pay em to install it?

Try running their benchmark program for FFXIV, if you haven't. It'll give you an idea of where your system is at right now, anyways, in terms of how well it can run the game. The score you get at the end classifies the strength of your computer at running the game into different tiers.

Also, make sure the processor you get either works with the motherboard you have now, or get a new motherboard that is compatible with whatever processor you get.
[quote name='kilm']It's really hard to say if you can't isolate your parts. ESD, maybe? You're going to have to find some extra computer parts to make sure everything works as it should, or just take everything apart, and put it all back together again and hope it works.[/QUOTE]

After going into the BIOS and checking the voltages, it seems it was a bad undervolt from the PSU (it dipped as low as 10.97 on the 12v rail when I was watching), so it's being RMA'd. Hopefully that solves it.

[quote name='homeland']Which AMD processor did you get? The fan that came with my Phenom II x4 gets ridiculously loud. I constantly have to go into control center and bring it down because its running between 5000 and 6000 rpms.[/QUOTE]

I got the 955 (C3 stepping). My fan varies from 3100 to 4100 RPM. Though it idles in the high 30s low 40s. Might just buy an aftermarket cooler sooner rather than later after all. I'll check my mobo settings. I'll post more tomorrow afternoon when I get home.

im thinking of upgrading my core 2 duo to a core 2 quad so that i dont have to upgrade my mobo. thoughts? toms hardware benchmarks look like its pretty comparable to i5/i7, but i dunno if its worth the $200 upgrade or if i should just hold off and do a full system rebuild in another year or so. my current build was done in apil 09.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']im thinking of upgrading my core 2 duo to a core 2 quad so that i dont have to upgrade my mobo. thoughts? toms hardware benchmarks look like its pretty comparable to i5/i7, but i dunno if its worth the $200 upgrade or if i should just hold off and do a full system rebuild in another year or so. my current build was done in apil 09.[/QUOTE]

hold off for sure.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']im thinking of upgrading my core 2 duo to a core 2 quad so that i dont have to upgrade my mobo. thoughts? toms hardware benchmarks look like its pretty comparable to i5/i7, but i dunno if its worth the $200 upgrade or if i should just hold off and do a full system rebuild in another year or so. my current build was done in apil 09.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kilm']hold off for sure.[/QUOTE]

I would hold off as well. They're about change sockets if I'm not mistaken. Intel is going to replace the 1366 in 2011 and AM3 -> AM3+

Also AMD's 6000 series video cards are just on the horizon as well.

I'm still about 2-3 months from building my PC but wanted to get one of hard drives bought so I could get the media I wanted to stream to my xbox on it. So I bought the 1TB WD 1TWD1002FAEX from newegg because the PC I have now has many open SATA ports.

Problem is, I don't have any open SATA power connectors. I bought a molex to SATA connector, but I was thinking I'm going to miss out on the 7200 speed of my new drive if I use that....so my question is should I use the molex connector with the HD running the OS or with my new drive?

*edit*

Wow, I was over thinking this A LOT. It's a damn power cable, there are no transfer speed issues there.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZForce915']I'm still about 2-3 months from building my PC but wanted to get one of hard drives bought so I could get the media I wanted to stream to my xbox on it. So I bought the 1TB WD 1TWD1002FAEX from newegg because the PC I have now has many open SATA ports.

Problem is, I don't have any open SATA power connectors. I bought a molex to SATA connector, but I was thinking I'm going to miss out on the 7200 speed of my new drive if I use that....so my question is should I use the molex connector with the HD running the OS or with my new drive?

*edit*

Wow, I was over thinking this A LOT. It's a damn power cable, there are no transfer speed issues there.[/QUOTE]

Be sure to check the drive for bad sectors. I just bought a 1tb WD drive last week from Newegg for my new build, and after everything was put together and installed, I started downloading a large file on uTorrent and it gave me an error. The error indicated a bad hdd and I did a full scan with WD's software from their site and apparently it had unrecoverable bad sectors. I'm RMAing the drive now, but it sucks that I have to wait longer to use my new build.

I'd recommend checking it out, just to save you heartache later if it's bad.

And I realize I didn't post my new build here, so here it is:

Intel Core i5-760
MSI GTX 460 1GB factory overclocked
ASUS P7P55D EVO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM
LG DVD Burner
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 case

And I know I have "too much ram" and probably should have spent more on graphics, but the power supply and motherboard I have can handle SLI, so I have the option of adding a second card in the future if I choose to (If I can find that model, of course.) But I'm not playing much other than MMOs like WoW and hopefully SW:TOR if it doesn't suck, and Source engine games like TF2 and L4D, so unless some stupidly awesome new game comes out, I probably won't need it.

Hmm, I did too. I'll keep my eyes peeled for errors. Good thing is that it looks like bad drives seem to fail quickly so you'll know if you need to replace it.

So... How good of a PC will about $1k get me? I'm seriously considering just getting rid of my Laptop since I never really use it outside of the house. The only games I play are Starcraft II and that's it :p. I would like to handle SCII on Ultra Settings, but High would be good enough. Maybe if I get a decent setup, I'll start using Steam more often.

[quote name='DarkRider23']So... How good of a PC will about $1k get me? I'm seriously considering just getting rid of my Laptop since I never really use it outside of the house. The only games I play are Starcraft II and that's it :p. I would like to handle SCII on Ultra Settings, but High would be good enough. Maybe if I get a decent setup, I'll start using Steam more often.[/QUOTE]

1000 dollar computer and you will run SC2 on Ultra with little problems

[quote name='kilm']1000 dollar computer and you will run SC2 on Ultra with little problems[/QUOTE]

Sounds promising :). Makes me regret spending so much money on a laptop that can't even run SCII on Medium settings. I guess I'll be talking to my friend tomorrow about building me a PC.

So... I used the $800 suggestion in the OP to add most of the stuff to my cart.

Here's what I got so far:

stuff.jpg

Would you guys upgrade anything out of this stuff? Am I missing anything that I should have or would want in the near future?

I've been thinking of building a new rig, want to use microATX tower, something like Thermaltake SD200.
So what's the most powerful low-profile graphics card available now in the market? AFAIK it's 5750 for AMD and GTS450 for Nvidia, but maybe I'm missing something?

Ok, Can someone suggest a processor and motherboard combo for me? Around $150 for both if possible. :( If not then I could probably save up but I'd prefer to do this now to run this game proper. I have a 500 watt power supply if you need to know that. if you need to know anything else ask. My graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 9500. DDR2

I don't know what else anyone'd need to know. Thanks if you can help.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Sounds promising :). Makes me regret spending so much money on a laptop that can't even run SCII on Medium settings. I guess I'll be talking to my friend tomorrow about building me a PC.

So... I used the $800 suggestion in the OP to add most of the stuff to my cart.

Here's what I got so far:

stuff.jpg

Would you guys upgrade anything out of this stuff? Am I missing anything that I should have or would want in the near future?[/QUOTE]

Its a good system, but I'd recommend just a couple changes:

1) At the prices 1TB hard drives are going for, you might as well go with one for your build. Right now newegg has a combo deal with that power supply where you can get the 1TB version of that Samsung drive without adding anything to your overall cost.

2) I'd go just a slight step up on the motherboard and get one with SATA 3.0 like this one. This way you're left with a little more upgrade room in the future.

3) The 5770 would be fine as a video card, but you can get a bit more bang for your buck with the GTX 460 right now. And it just so happens that there's a nice combo deal for one with the motherboard I recommended above.

The only other thing I might recommend, though it isn't absolutely necessary would be SSD for a boot drive. Something to install Windows on and your most commonly used/accessed programs on. You can get by without one, but it would make your system feel a bit quicker and more responsive in general use. A 60GB drive like this would be fine.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Thanks boss :). Price only went up about $13 with your suggestions. Now, I just have to talk to a friend of mine so he can build it for me.[/QUOTE]

do a bit of sweet talking and get him to pay it for you, too

[quote name='kilm']do a bit of sweet talking and get him to pay it for you, too[/QUOTE]

I'm planning on paying my friend to build it for me, so yeah, fuck off? That's what he does working at MicroCenter so I know what he's doing. It's better than me going in blindly and following guides.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I'm planning on paying my friend to build it for me, so yeah, fuck off? That's what he does working at MicroCenter so I know what he's doing. It's better than me going in blindly and following guides.[/QUOTE]

lolsomad

l2read, btw

[quote name='Snuckles']Ok, Can someone suggest a processor and motherboard combo for me? Around $150 for both if possible. :( If not then I could probably save up but I'd prefer to do this now to run this game proper. I have a 500 watt power supply if you need to know that. if you need to know anything else ask. My graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 9500. DDR2

I don't know what else anyone'd need to know. Thanks if you can help.[/QUOTE]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.500555

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.499639

Work in tech (don't you love training sites?) and have these deals lined up for an incomplete build...

AMD Phenom II X4 945 CPU $77
ATI Radeon HD 5750 Graphics Card $75
Windows 7 Ultimate $15

Still need case, psu, mobo, optical drives, ram. Thinking about the CoolerMaster HAF AMD edtion case. My current rig (AMD Athlon 3000 XP, ATI 9800 Pro) will become a dedicated Debian computer for work. Also, I have to decide to buy another 5750 and run dual cards, or give that one to my brother, and buy a faster card.

[quote name='R1V3R5']Work in tech (don't you love training sites?) and have these deals lined up for an incomplete build...

AMD Phenom II X4 945 CPU $77
ATI Radeon HD 5750 Graphics Card $75
Windows 7 Ultimate $15

Still need case, psu, mobo, optical drives, ram. Thinking about the CoolerMaster HAF AMD edtion case. My current rig (AMD Athlon 3000 XP, ATI 9800 Pro) will become a dedicated Debian computer for work. Also, I have to decide to buy another 5750 and run dual cards, or give that one to my brother, and buy a faster card.[/QUOTE]

theres a cheap combo for that case on newegg.

edit - i tried to find it but am not having any luck. i saw it on slickdeals, i thought there was a code involved.

[quote name='paz9x']theres a cheap combo for that case on newegg.

edit - i tried to find it but am not having any luck. i saw it on slickdeals, i thought there was a code involved.[/QUOTE]

It appears the sale ended. Awesome deal on it but I missed out. I love that damn case though and I'm 90% sure that is what I'll end up going with despite it's hefty price. Also, got my eye on one of those red & black Asus Crosshair Formula boards. Monster specs on those boards plus it will match the case.

I'm starting to think that I might build an AMD computer but frankly I don't know the first thing about them or the motherboards that support those chips. Anyone have any good resources I can use? (other than just saying Google it?) I'm looking for a site that people trust.

What kind of information are you looking for ZForce? Do you just want to know the differences between chipsets or actual reviews of individual motherboards?

Well I finally finished building my computer last week, and it is such a huge upgrade over my pentium 4 system.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T: $197.99
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H: $150
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600: $110 - $20 rebate
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5: $65.84
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner: $21.94
Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550-Watt: $59.99 - $10 rebate
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 GB DDR5: $139.95 - $10 rebate
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case: $59.82
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU fan: $22

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']Well I finally finished building my computer last week, and it is such a huge upgrade over my pentium 4 system.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T: $197.99
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H: $150
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600: $110 - $20 rebate
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5: $65.84
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner: $21.94
Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550-Watt: $59.99 - $10 rebate
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 GB DDR5: $139.95 - $10 rebate
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case: $59.82
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU fan: $22[/QUOTE]

I bet lol :applause: congrats. That's how I felt over my computer when I switched from my athlon 64 3500+.

You planning on xfiring?

[quote name='Mid Boss']What kind of information are you looking for ZForce? Do you just want to know the differences between chipsets or actual reviews of individual motherboards?[/QUOTE]

I guess a little of both? When it comes to Intel chips it is pretty straightforward, i5, i7, it just steps up and gets better. There are couple of different AMD ones, and the motherboards are just confusing as hell.

I suppose I should pick a CPU I want and get a board that supports it. I guess any reading material you think would help would be of use to me.

Initially, this CPU seems like the one I might want to build a rig around

[quote name='ZForce915']I guess a little of both? When it comes to Intel chips it is pretty straightforward, i5, i7, it just steps up and gets better. There are couple of different AMD ones, and the motherboards are just confusing as hell.

I suppose I should pick a CPU I want and get a board that supports it. I guess any reading material you think would help would be of use to me.

Initially, this CPU seems like the one I might want to build a rig around[/QUOTE]

All you really need to know is that

Phenom > Athlon
Core wise: X6>X4>X3
Socket wise: Newer motherboards have AM3, newer processors are AM3, older are AM2

Easy stuff

[quote name='ZForce915']I guess a little of both? When it comes to Intel chips it is pretty straightforward, i5, i7, it just steps up and gets better. There are couple of different AMD ones, and the motherboards are just confusing as hell.

Initially, this CPU seems like the one I might want to build a rig around[/QUOTE]

If you want reviews for motherboards, Techpowerup has a nice review database with reviews from many sites for all kinds of different computer parts, including motherboards. And AMD has some comparison charts showing the different features included on various motherboard chipsets on their website.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Any suggestions for a good keyboard/mouse?[/QUOTE]

Like a combo?

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're just looking for a cheap solution, go cheap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823107120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105185

If you're looking for premium products, go with whatever brand you like and trust. Razer, Microsoft, Logitech, w/e

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.513793
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126034

Doesn't matter if it's a combo or not. Just something good for gaming. I'm liking that Razor keyboard. Might go with that, or just get a Logitech G15 and continue using the mouse I have now. Decisions, decisions.

I have a Tarantula and while it's a good keyboard, I'm not a fan of how unresponsive it can be before Windows starts up. Probably something to do with the two usb ports it takes up. I've heard their newer keyboards don't have as many problems as this one (And the Tarantula was the first keyboard they made, so the practice probably helped).

Just some thoughts. I'm not against Razer at all, since I love my Deathadder mouse and am thinking about buying the Naga and the Ultimate Blackwidow in a few months.

Also: Don't get a notebook mouse for desktop use, like the mouse in that Razer combo that was linked above. You will regret not having a full-sized mouse for everyday use.

I know too well not to get another Notebook mouse. It's what I'm using now (on my sisters laptop since mine got rained on =X) and it's just annoying for any sort of gaming. I'm now down to Logitech G15 or the BlackWidow... Hmm

[quote name='paz9x']looking for opinions on a new case.

I have a haf 922, its a nice case. its a bit noiser than id like, not bad, but id like it quieter. its not easy to get filters that fit and its a hassle to clean. i also wouldnt mind something more streamlined.

Im considering the coolermaster atcs 840.
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...N6/?tag=slickdeals&prv=forums&cur=forums&ses=
Im looking for a nudge either way on the purchase.[/QUOTE]

I'd say keep the HAF. I don't think it's a noisy case, but you probably need to clean your fans, get fan controllers get totally new low CFM fans or something to reduce the noise level. The stock fans at max IMO are quiet enough for me, but it could be room acoustics. If your fans are going to be loud, they're going to be loud regardless of the case you put them in.

Hassle to clean? I guess this is a difference in upkeep. Your computer shouldn't be getting so dusty or dirty that you would have to do any kind of intense cleaning outside of regularly opening it up and blasting it with air. The only think I would agree with you would be the front panel, but if you do preventative measures like fan filters and making sure your computer's air flow is positive, cleaning shouldn't be a big issue at all for the 922.

I don't know what you mean by steam lined. Like the case looks aerodynamic? or more roomy on the inside? If you are looking for a bigger case, you could upgrade to a full tower, but for a midtower I find the inside of the 922 and the case itself to be rather large.

But as for the case you linked, as a full tower it does look pretty decent and has some good features.

[quote name='kilm']I'd say keep the HAF. I don't think it's a noisy case, but you probably need to clean your fans, get fan controllers get totally new low CFM fans or something to reduce the noise level. The stock fans at max IMO are quiet enough for me, but it could be room acoustics. If your fans are going to be loud, they're going to be loud regardless of the case you put them in.

Hassle to clean? I guess this is a difference in upkeep. Your computer shouldn't be getting so dusty or dirty that you would have to do any kind of intense cleaning outside of regularly opening it up and blasting it with air. The only think I would agree with you would be the front panel, but if you do preventative measures like fan filters and making sure your computer's air flow is positive, cleaning shouldn't be a big issue at all for the 922.

I don't know what you mean by steam lined. Like the case looks aerodynamic? or more roomy on the inside? If you are looking for a bigger case, you could upgrade to a full tower, but for a midtower I find the inside of the 922 and the case itself to be rather large.

But as for the case you linked, as a full tower it does look pretty decent and has some good features.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the response, i appreciate your opinions in this thread.

for the noise - the case is at chest level next to my desk, i think the case being so open adds a bit to the noise. its not obnoxiously noisy and is more of an excuse to look into another case.

the cleaning - the front panel is a pain and has to be removed to clean the filter in it.
as it comes without any other filters, its very dustym the fans get dusty and i hate cleaning the fan blades.
ive tried several homeade filters and currently have some that work very well but the fans slightly rub and it bothers me.
I run positive pressure.

streamlined - just a more subtle design and finish.
one thing I dont like is with all the opening on the 922 the mobo lights are visible from everywhere.

Ive thought about making some modifications but then i think maybe ill just pick up somethign like the atcs i linked or the obsidian or one of the silverstone cases.

I dont need a bigger case, the 922 is pretty good sized for what i need.

currently im looking at the atcs for $117 shipped, i figure maybe $80 for the 922 with extra fans. who knows what ill get but thats what im askign on craigslist. $40 doesnt seem too much to change cases.

You anywhere near Northern NJ Paz?

And I think I've finalized my build. Will be placing my order today or tomorrow. Hopefully, I can get the parts in by the weekend.

HDD - Samsung 1TB
Power Supply - Corsair 650TX
Video Card - GTX 460
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB
Processor - Intel Core i5-750
Case - Antec 300 Black Steel Mid Tower Case
And then the DVD drive and thermal compound...

Kind of low on funds at the moment so I'll be using a generic keyboard and my notebook mouse for now. Will be stealing my crappy monitor from the other desktop at home until I can get a good deal on one. No one uses the other desktop anyway.

@Mid Boss - I'll be considering the SSD drive in the future once I can get more money. Probably sometime around the holiday. All the reviews I've read have made me drool with how fast programs start up. That's one of my pet peeves with computers. I hate having to wait for a program to start up.

[quote name='DarkRider23']You anywhere near Northern NJ Paz?

@Mid Boss - I'll be considering the SSD drive in the future once I can get more money. Probably sometime around the holiday. All the reviews I've read have made me drool with how fast programs start up. That's one of my pet peeves with computers. I hate having to wait for a program to start up.[/QUOTE]

no, arizona.
prices are dropping and the controllers are getting better, you wont do any harm waiting a bit.

The order has been placed :). I was able to squeeze out an i5-760 with all of the combo deals NewEgg had for the same price as the previous set up. Can't wait to get the parts in!

Alright, just popped in my replacement PSU. Hopefully it's stable now. The voltages in BIOS read:
CPU: 1.136
3.3V: 3.376
5V: 5.064
12V: 12.152

That's all normal, correct?

Also, a bit bummed that the GTX 460 is now seemingly the better card versus my 5770 HD at the same price. All the advice and guides I read switched to the 460 a week or two after I bought my 5770 HD. It's rather discouraging how quickly stuff becomes obsolete when the parts you get seem to start growing long in the tooth while they sit unused in a non-working computer. :cry:

[quote name='JustYourAverageJoe']Alright, just popped in my replacement PSU. Hopefully it's stable now. The voltages in BIOS read:
CPU: 1.136
3.3V: 3.376
5V: 5.064
12V: 12.152

That's all normal, correct?

Also, a bit bummed that the GTX 460 is now seemingly the better card versus my 5770 HD at the same price. All the advice and guides I read switched to the 460 a week or two after I bought my 5770 HD. It's rather discouraging how quickly stuff becomes obsolete when the parts you get seem to start growing long in the tooth while they sit unused in a non-working computer. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Looks normal.

Yeah, but the 5770 is still a very nice card. But you're right. the 460's price is competitive and makes it a better product ATM

Bought Civilization 5 and came to the unfortunate realization I need to upgrade soon. :cry:

Probably going to go with the $900/$1000 recommended builds once I save enough money.

Least I don't really need a mouse, keyboard, monitor or hard drive this time around. There a good reason aside from aesthetics to upgrade my case? Using the Antec Sonata III right now. Know that power supply isn't going to cut it with a mid to higher end graphics card, but not sure if there's been any crazy innovations in computer cases in the past three years to justify getting a new case as well.

Really wishing I didn't buy my PS3 or Wii right now :bomb:. Bought consoles because I didn't want to upgrade my PC and end up back at the original problem and going to do what I tried to avoid doing.

[quote name='nekromantix']Bought Civilization 5 and came to the unfortunate realization I need to upgrade soon. :cry:

Probably going to go with the $900/$1000 recommended builds once I save enough money.

Least I don't really need a mouse, keyboard, monitor or hard drive this time around. There a good reason aside from aesthetics to upgrade my case? Using the Antec Sonata III right now. Know that power supply isn't going to cut it with a mid to higher end graphics card, but not sure if there's been any crazy innovations in computer cases in the past three years to justify getting a new case as well.

Really wishing I didn't buy my PS3 or Wii right now :bomb:. Bought consoles because I didn't want to upgrade my PC and end up back at the original problem and going to do what I tried to avoid doing.[/QUOTE]

Well I upgraded my case because my 9 inch card barely fit into my old mid size tower. And the wires everywhere was a bit unsettling for me. As long as you find out how long your future graphics card is and that it'll fit in your case you should be fine. I went with a huge case to avoid any problems, haven't regretted it.

bread's done
Back